PDA

View Full Version : Are Anime OST Illegal (was '.')

koji
2003-11-15, 11:38
is all anime ost illegal?

Esperchld
2003-11-15, 11:44
No, they aren't illegal if you BUY them from a LEGIT retailer. (ie. don't download them and don't buy bootlegs).

xris
2003-11-15, 13:58
Here are a couple of forum hints and tips.

* Give a thread a decent name. No one will know what you want to talk about if you call the thread "." or "Help".
* Post in an appropriate forum. Do not pick the first one that comes to mind, put some thought as to where the topic under discussion might belong.
* Try to explain what it is you want to know.

Since this thread has nothing to do with Anime Music, I'm moving it into the General Anime forum and renaming it.

I'm still not sure what it is you are really asking. Clearly most Anime OSTs are legal, because the company who owns the rights have released it. Clearly bootlegs and OST downloads are illegal.

Ranko
2003-11-15, 14:23
Becareful where you shop for them, i got a few bootlegs without even knowing back when i didn't understand the prices of anime items that well.

Keops
2003-11-16, 08:35
If you're talking about anime OSTs downloads, sure, they're illegal, as much illegal as fansubs and DVD rips are.

If you're talking about the OSTs you can buy they CAN be illegal, so you must be very careful. Commonly the OSTs made in Japan by labels such as Victor, RCA, Pony Canyon are legal... They're produced by the same producers as the anime series... But most bootlegs and or asian releases are illegal, such as SonMay and Ever Anime... Keep this in mind when shopping for anime OSTs.

Hope this information helps.

Ja ne!

[^_^x]
2003-11-16, 23:44
Most people on this forum are anti Piracy eh? Too bad im a pirate.

DrWho2002
2003-11-17, 00:22
Dude, you're not gonna last very long here then.... =p

[^_^x]
2003-11-17, 13:52
Why is that?

Gaara11
2003-11-17, 14:48
']Most people on this forum are anti Piracy eh? Too bad im a pirate.

Most people in this forum aren't anti-piracy, they just don't wanna brag about it that's all. Especially in this forum, where everybody's an angel. You'll last here just don't ask about illegal stuff, do the search somewhere else on your own. ;)

LuciaMelody
2003-11-17, 15:13
SonMay is illegal? really? but i thought.....i mean they sell a lot of cds with inserts and everything...and bootlegs normally dont have inserts...Plus many anime stores sell them...

oh well, u learn something new everyday. :eyespin:

zalas
2003-11-17, 15:15
SonMay is illegal? really? but i thought.....i mean they sell a lot of cds with inserts and everything...and bootlegs normally dont have inserts...Plus many anime stores sell them...

oh well, u learn something new everyday. :eyespin:
They put in all those inserts and stuff to make it look authentic and fool the occasional shopper. Besides, it's not hard to do all of those if you have a real factory anyways :)

Gaara11
2003-11-17, 15:42
Yup, Sonmay got me too when I bought my Kenshin soundtrack. It really looked official w/ inserts and stuff. I got 3 discs w/ all the songs I like for $18 which I thought wasn't a bad deal. :p

LuciaMelody
2003-11-17, 15:55
Oh wow. I bought couple of soundtracks from them and the thought of them being not real never crossed my mind....

Then how come noone told them anything? I mean they actually have a factory.....

DrWho2002
2003-11-17, 16:51
They don't care because they're based in Taiwan, the breeding ground of bootleggers. =p

And [^_^x], if you want to be a pirate, you can't do it here. You'll have to go do that on your own.

[^_^x]
2003-11-17, 21:43
What do you mean? Im already a pirate. Ive been one for years. But Its not like im selling to people on here or telling them where to get licensed anime and stuff. Therefore I pose no threat. I just dont like pirate bashers.

rayearth
2003-11-17, 22:34
To me, it's a bit funny people are still talking about bootleg Anime/Jpop music CDs from Taiwan. Since Taiwan joined WTO last year, all these bootleg companies have been out of business. SonMay/EverAnime has not released a single new CD since then. There is another rouge company "struggling" but it's not getting anywhere near as what is used to be - ie still releasing music that's more than 6 months old.

Basically, the bootleg music industry from Taiwan is dead - for now. I think it would be more interesting if people talked about the "new bootlegers", the people who put whole NEWLY RELEASED CDs (meaning you can still buy them and it doesn't take a genious to use cdjapan) on BT. Of course, just like any old "anti-bootleg" discussion, it might not get anywhere in the end :P

DrWho2002
2003-11-18, 05:24
']What do you mean? Im already a pirate. Ive been one for years. But Its not like im selling to people on here or telling them where to get licensed anime and stuff. Therefore I pose no threat. I just dont like pirate bashers.
IMO, that isn't something one should advertise freely that "whee I'm a pirate!" Plus it makes you sound like you're an unethical person right off the bat, which puts me right off you and makes me want to not interact with you at all. But you don't know me, so it's no skin off your back, eh? =p

And yeah, I know that SonMay/EverAnime haven't produced stuff in awhile, (they combined to form Alion, right? which is still struggling anyways), but there's probably tons of unsold stock sitting in anime shops the world over... =p

rayearth
2003-11-18, 07:52
And yeah, I know that SonMay/EverAnime haven't produced stuff in awhile, (they combined to form Alion, right? which is still struggling anyways), but there's probably tons of unsold stock sitting in anime shops the world over... =p

Being someone from Hong Kong, yes, there are still tons of old stock sitting around waiting to be sold. As for SonMay and EverAnime joining, they were just different divisions under the same company to start with :P There's 1 or 2 currently struggling, but I haven't been keep my eyes on them for sometime so I'm not sure :P

[^_^x]
2003-11-18, 15:42
I am unethical. I d/l and sell on ebay. I steal from stores. Interaction is the least of my concerns. Information gathering is what im after. ^_~

hobobaggins
2003-11-18, 21:08
that is wonderful. do we care?

i am a pirate.
i steal stuff
i am antisocial

... just so you know, the title of "pirate" isnt exactly like the Navy's Trident badge. This isnt one piece.

and he said you wont last long cuz it seems your posts are pointless and crappy.

DLing and selling on ebay is one of the worst things you can do because IT IS NOT YOUR MATERIAL. not only is it not your material, it was done FOR FANS BY FANS. not for fuckheads like you who only think of making a few bucks and ripping people off.

[^_^x]
2003-11-18, 21:37
but I get lots of money. i bought 2 cars off anime sales already ^^. Usually parents buying for their kids. They thank me for providing anime cheap and dont mind that I d/l because they have dial up and it would take forver for them to do it anyways.

/me drives around city in Corvette for a while. ^_^x

Oh and a pirate:

Main Entry: 1pi·rate
Pronunciation: 'pI-r&t
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French or Latin; Middle French, from Latin pirata, from Greek peiratEs, from peiran to attempt -- more at FEAR
Date: 14th century
: one who commits or practices piracy

monir
2003-11-18, 21:51
Let the mayhem begin..
* Give a thread a decent name. No one will know what you want to talk about if you call the thread "." or "Help".How creepy is that? Ojisan aka Xris-san foresaw it all and told :D...I hope the thread is put out of its misery before the flames show their ugly tongues..

btw..I am a pirate but a Robinhood-type :D...I reseed, I let people know where they can dl by staying in the Forum's legal-parameters, and I despise bootleggers and the bastards who sell fansubbs..

DrWho2002
2003-11-19, 01:36
It's looking more and more like [^_^x] is just simply a troll...

YamiFan
2004-12-14, 19:07
:hmm: From what I understand, OSTs that are under $10 US is fake give or take $5 US. Most shops sale OSTs which are made in Taiwan are not the official release which you can tell if the price is low or reasonable. The Official Japanese release are expensive by evaluating that the original yen price is high and the shops in other countries other than Japan charge freight.

To help answer the original question, downloading from internet and buying taiwanese discs is not helping the original maker of the music earning any money, therefore it is illegal. But no one is stopping the shops or the buyers. They do a very good job on the casing. If you want originals then travel to Japan and buy the originals. Or just buy the expensive ones.

Crowley
2004-12-15, 02:15
Or just live in Canada and download all the music you want without fear of legal consequences, because there are none.

dreamless
2004-12-15, 02:30
nowadays some bootlegs are so well made that they look better than the official release here XD

anti-piracy or not, we just admit that fact is that downloading OST is illegal, as illegal as fansubs and things... we surely are not anti-fansubs... but that doesn't change the fact about its legality.

Aoie_Emesai
2004-12-15, 10:37
Besides stating the obvious. And Wow! what a weird feeling of mix thoughts, people who Download and those who only buy, and both and either or. No one is 100% legitimate. It is quiet annoying when you only want 1 song in the entire CD. but you have to buy it for 10$-15$, No? Downloading songs i say, has advantages and disadvantages. Ill state 2 of the most popular.

-1. It helping distribute the musics/songs and that attracts fans that either buy or dont buy the CD.
-2. It hurts the company and artist of the Songs/Musics

-* But a recent (well 2 weeks old) article on CNN say that the mp3 so called industry has actually boosted their sales output, well most of theirs. And quite few said its hurted them.

Utalks
2004-12-16, 03:16
It's hard to find original OSTs here where I am so... It's reasonable that i have only a couple of original CDs. Some are available but you'll know they're fake because they're cheap the original ones are very expensive... even some fake ones are expensive as well...