PDA

View Full Version : The generic "Is this a bootleg" thread

Pages : [1] 2

Nyall
2003-11-04, 00:41
There have been many requests asking if a DVD release is legitimate or if it's a bootleg. This post is aimed to help identify potential bootlegs.
Spot check on how to tell if a DVD is a bootleg or not
Region 0
Chinese and English subtitles
6+ episodes per DVD
Low Cost (under $4 per episode)
There are many exceptions of course but the best policy is to assume it's a bootleg if any of the above apply. Thereafter you will need to investigate further. There are many, many on-line shops selling bootlegs, in some cases they are unaware of the issues, in other cases they simply do not care, so just be careful!

If there are any posts making such requests, then they will be simply merged into this generic "Is this a bootleg" thread. One of the rules we have in the AnimeSuki forums is that you may not ask for, nor post links to, bootleg anime. If there are any links posted to a potential bootleg site, then they shall be removed or the post / thread deleted.

For details on where to find legitimate DVDs, then please have a look at the The "Where do I buy..." sticky located in the DVD & Licensed forum. And just to reiterate, here's the guide from that thread on how to spot bootlegs :) You can't be to careful!

How to spot bootlegs:

Offering unlicensed (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=6200&highlight=license+list) anime on DVD or VCD with English subtitles. (The occasional Japanese release does have English subtitles)
English and Chinese subtitles available.
Large number of episodes per disc. (6 is rare on an official release, 7+ is highly dubious)
Suspiciously low price. (This one is a lot harder to spot)

(NOTE: These are general guidelines. In some rare cases official releases may fit some of these criteria, or some bootlegs may not fit any of them. Please be careful)
For information regarding how to identify an official Region 2 Japanese Disc, see these posts by kj1980 (http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=247155&postcount=9) or AvatarADV (http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=247635&postcount=3).

xris
Now we return to the original post...
---
Importing?

Does Anyone have any experience with

< -- bootleg link removed -- >

I am looking to buy the first 21 episodes of Naruto there:

I've done some googling and the product appears to be legit but I've not been able to find reliable reviews of the site itself. Also even though it appears to be legit I don't want to end up with some chineese bootlegs. A girl I know at my college's anime Club bought fruits basket the packaging looked realy official but the subtitles where horrible. they where out of sink and had the funniest mispellings: 'it' was mispelled as 'ti'

Cheers

Nyall

Sakura-chan
2003-11-04, 00:44
Does Anyone have any experience with

I am looking to buy the first 21 episodes of Naruto there:

I've done some googling and the product appears to be legit but I've not been able to find reliable reviews of the site itself. Also even though it appears to be legit I don't want to end up with some chineese bootlegs.

Too bad. They are bootlegs. :p

testing123
2003-11-04, 00:50
I've done some googling and the product appears to be legit

It says "region free". No need to look to Google to tell you these are NOT legit.

Nyall
2003-11-04, 00:50
Thanks for the info

FinFangFoom
2003-11-04, 01:01
Also even though it appears to be legit I don't want to end up with some chineese bootlegs. A girl I know at my college's anime Club bought fruits basket the packaging looked realy official but the subtitles where horrible. they where out of sink and had the funniest mispellings: 'it' was mispelled as 'ti'

There is a videogame store by my house that has a huge anime section for rentals, the owner gets alot of his anime off this site and has Naruto. My friend watched it in the store and said the subbing was pretty much as you just described for Fruits Basket. But I think there are some off that site that are good quality, for example I rented the FLCL series from him about a year ago and it was really high quality and im pretty sure (not positive) that he got it off that site also.

Esperchld
2003-11-04, 01:29
My general experience with bootlegs is that while there are some really good ones out there, you are usually better off waiting for a legit release. My Ghibli set is really good, but I was also burned on some other stuff. Also, be very careful what you pick up if you actually do get bootlegs as I have seen many cases where they pull a bait and switch (usually with a like named product). I just wait for the legitimate releases now so that I know that I will atleast get a decent product.

Actually, region free doesn't always mean that it is a bootleg. I have seen some legit DVDs that are region free. I have also seen some that come up as both region 1 and region 2 (with english subs no less). However, this is hardly the way things usually are. If it says it is region free chances are that it is not legit.

Go-lytely
2003-11-04, 06:12
The Ghibli set is good because the bootleggers directly ripped the R2 Japanese DVD's. The Studio Ghibli DVD's are one of the few R2's that already have english subtitles.

Esperchld
2003-11-04, 09:14
Also, another thing. It would be nice if Amazon would even make a half hearted attempt at not affiliating with the bootleg sellers (and there are a lot of them).

I have little doubt that the Ghibli set would be a direct rip of the R2 disk. However, I didn't remember the R2 disk having R1 AND R3 subtitles. (also, there is a subtitle error that pops up in atleast one movie that I don't remember seeing in my R2 copy). The video might be a direct rip, but my bootleg set is older than my R2 set (the R1 releases are not nearly as nice, but I have them as well).

EliteJounin
2003-11-05, 03:05
Does anyone know where you can find the Gundam Seed Box Set because my friend just ordered it and i wanna know where it is.

microlith
2003-11-05, 03:36
There's no legitimate SEED boxed set.

It's not even complete on DVD in Japan yet, let alone legitimately in English. Your friend bought a crappy bootleg.

method
2003-11-05, 03:49
There's no legitimate SEED boxed set.

It's not even complete on DVD in Japan yet, let alone legitimately in English. Your friend bought a crappy bootleg.

Yes your brought a bootleg so you know what that means. God will send Domo-kun to kill 5 little kitties and we don't want that to happen again do we.

microlith
2003-11-05, 03:50
If god doesn't kill the little Domo-kuns or the kitties, I WILL!

;P

GATX207_Blitz
2003-11-05, 08:41
Does anyone know where you can find the Gundam Seed Box Set because my friend just ordered it and i wanna know where it is.

Are you guys sure that it is a bootleg? I've seen boxsets, but I guess it wouldn't matter for now even if there were because I would need a DVD player without region coding or at least region coding for japan.

microlith
2003-11-05, 09:46
Here's a few simple clues:

No one will get a boxed set before Japan does.

Japan has not had all of SEED released.

No one will get all of SEED on DVD before Japan.

Therefore: No SEED boxed sets are legit.

method
2003-11-05, 13:39
check cdjapan.co.jp and search for Seed.
Really do you think that Bandai has already subbed the full series in less than 3 months and not dub a surefire hit.

Lupin
2003-11-06, 03:19
I've actually bought this box set. Of course it's a bootleg, but it's not crappy at all. The subs are very good and the video quality is certainly decent too. Just a tad bit under DVD quality.

zalas
2003-11-06, 18:26
*sigh*, even if the boxed sets are almost DVD quality and almost perfectly translated, you're still not getting the real thing and the producers of the show still aren't getting any support from you. I've started seeing things on eBay where people in the US and making their own bootlegs and selling them, claiming "perfect English grammar" -_-

zalas
2003-11-06, 19:38
Except for this one distributor in Singapore, I don't know of any distributors outside of Japan and Korea in Asia that do legitimate releases. Just a caution though, there are legitimate region free DVDs, but they are free. (I believe some of the Animeigo DVDs were region free).

If you want to import legitimate DVDs from Japan, I'd recommend someplace like www.amotokyo.com or www.cdjapan.co.jp or us.yesasia.com. Beware though, legitimate DVDs are gonna cost more than bootlegs, AND R2s cost a lot XD

method
2003-11-06, 19:39
Great Lupin you are living up to your name.

Now Domo-kun has to kill 5 more little kittens. Tis a shame.

LiQuid|J
2003-11-06, 20:55
No one will ever convince me to even look at another HK bootleg for as long as I live. I saw a few episodes of GTO and Hunter x hunter on bootleg and I wanted to cry because the subtitles were so bad. I'll stick to fansubs and professionally localized anime. Thanks.

Supernaut
2003-11-07, 02:36
Too true, Esperchild. If you shop Amazon, beware the "Used" listings. Too many items are listed as a used US region 1 but are actually HK bootlegs.

The bootleggers seem to be ripping recent R1 releases now, too. I've seen an Excel Saga "Perfect collection" touted as "English Dubbed - as seen on Cartoon Network".

The Xenos
2003-11-07, 09:23
The bootleggers seem to be ripping recent R1 releases now, too. I've seen an Excel Saga "Perfect collection" touted as "English Dubbed - as seen on Cartoon Network".

Rxcel Saga "as seen on Cartoon Network".. now that's jsut funny.

Anyway, on the topic of imports and bootlegs, my roomate is thinking of getting the HK / not-quite-legit box of Gear Fighter Dendoh. It's kinda a cheesy show, but it's got goofy mecha goodness which he likes. It's an obscure rather kiddy mecha anime that he doubts will get picked up. PLus it's already a few years old. Anyone think he should pick it up, esepcailly if it's looking more and more likey it won't be liscenced.

Also, in general, if a series seems more and more like it won't be liscenced, would you import the HK?

-Xenos

Tabiree
2003-11-07, 09:54
I'd look into getting the R2s. If the series isn't as well known then expect pretty bad subs+video

Supernaut
2003-11-07, 21:39
The Xenos-

Tell your roommate to look elsewhere. Picture/audio quality issues aside, the subtitles are absolutely horrible. Japanese to Chinese to English does evil things to the script.

Sabin
2003-11-08, 11:22
I have some experience with bootlegs and its like russian roulette when it comes to quality. Also it seems that the more popular the show is, the better the quality will be. I have Naruto up to ep 34 and the picture and sub quality is pretty good. Just the occasional typo. The same goes for Azumanga Daioh. Sellvia on the other hand has VHS quality video and sound with subs that are totally incompreshensible. On the other hand it was some wicked case art that i am going to scan at work and make into a realy nice poster (working at a printing shop is great :) )

Shouta
2003-12-02, 18:03
If you're looking to check out some Dendoh, we have 1-8 finished at our channel on ETG #Infinite-Zero. We're hoping to get 9-11 out soon but since I'm insanely busy (I'm the translator) it's getting harder and harder to make time to finish stuff >_<. Anyway, If you're looking for it, just stop by and leave me a PM and I'll see if I can hook you up.

squalldawa
2003-12-11, 13:49
It was 2 or 3 days ago, i saw the add to the right when i connected to animesuki, it was a website that made some special offers or 9usd per dvd. And so i cant remember the addresse, they had some Detective conan dvd bundles for 29 usd each, and so if someone remembers it..it was a single name address like www.animedvd.com or something...

lordwu
2003-12-11, 14:57
It was 2 or 3 days ago, i saw the add to the right when i connected to animesuki, it was a website that made some special offers or 9usd per dvd. And so i cant remember the addresse, they had some Detective conan dvd bundles for 29 usd each, and so if someone remembers it..it was a single name address like www.animedvd.com or something...

They are most likely to be bootlegs. Detective Conan is not released in US yet (licensed already) and I don't think there's a legit R3 DVD release out there.

Esperchld
2003-12-11, 15:13
good for you for forgetting that site. All bootleg sites must be forgotten.

FinFangFoom
2003-12-12, 04:26
Yeah bootleges are a waste, but if you really want the site just check your history in internet explorer, if you went to the site and didn't erase your history it should still be there. Also try google, lots of sites.

Genesis
2004-01-04, 06:29
Sorry for asking I tried to find the answer on the other threads but didn't so if somebody with the knowledge could check the link and tell me I would me grateful!

I just don't want to buy bootleg..

Link to bootleg site removed

stingray
2004-01-04, 06:32
well, it isn't licensed so yes, it's a bootleg.

i wouldn't doubt they have really bad subs w/ tons of grammatical errors and misspells.

xris
2004-01-04, 06:38
Yes, they are bootlegs

Since no one has the license for Naruto (with English translation), it is a pirate copy, a bootleg.

You can tell because of the number of eps per DVD (21!!) and price (under $40).

It didn't say but they more than likely also have Chinese translations and are region-free.

Actually, they also sell a DVD with only eps 1-4 (for $15) which is not only a pirate copy but a real rip-off at that price! I would expect the official version to cost that much (when you take typical discounts into account)!

blkwdw13
2004-01-12, 11:44
Hey are all these bootlegs and if they are can't they get in serious trouble for having the on their site?

Edit by Mod (xris)

Yes... they are all bootlegs. There are plenty of clues to tell you they are pirate copies (please search the forums for other posts on how to spot bootlegs).

Closing thread

P.S. Some on-line shops don't know or care if they are bootlegs or not.

Ansible
2004-01-14, 13:44
I just got GTO and evangelion on DVD, the cheapest box sets I could find, japanese language audio with english/chinese subtitles. I guess you get what you pay for; I'm dissapointed with the audio, which sounds muddy, and the subtitles are far below the quality I've come to expect from fansubs. Is this typical? There are misspelled words, the fonts are ugly, and sometimes whole sentences are just not even translated. And don't even talk to me about timing... ugh.

Is this typical of these japan-only dvds? Do DVDs with english dubbing usually have better english subtitles? I really prefer to watch with japanese sound and english subtitles over english dubs, and I'd rather not have to pay extra to get dubbed DVDs...

Flash_Squirrel
2004-01-14, 13:47
Welcome into the world of bootlegged DVDs.

microlith
2004-01-14, 14:06
If you were to buy legit R1 dvds with Japanese/English audio and English subtitles, you would'nt have the problems with piss-poor audio, video, and utterly crap subs.

I suggest www.rightstuf.com to start, check the "Where To Buy" thread for more info.

Ansible
2004-01-14, 18:00
Doh! It never even crossed my mind that these were bootlegs. It makes sense though, given the huge asian bootleg software scene, especially in china.

StarCreator
2004-01-15, 03:04
Anything with only Japanese language (no English or other language dub) with English -and Chinese- subtitles that is region free is VERY likely to be a bootleg. The only exception to this I've ever found are the very early Odex DVD sets (but Odex started applying region coding, then stopped producing DVDs entirely).

scotty81
2004-01-15, 05:59
in the french evangelion dvd version , there are many mistakes in the subs.
you have ... instead of เ , ^ instead of ๙ . and you have to pay 25€ for that.

acefighter
2004-01-15, 17:46
you guys are generalizing again. it depends of which company made the boots. some are very good while other suxs. just like dubb anime, fansubbed anime and abotu everything else.

StarCreator
2004-01-16, 03:50
It still disgusts me people still willingly purchase bootlegs, which are not only a copyright violation in most countries (like fansubs are), but exist to provide a stream of money to parties not entitled to earn a damn cent from their robbing. It doesn't matter how good the quality is - there's simply no justification for it.

scotty81
2004-01-16, 08:48
In france there's only three companies who sell anime dvd ( not bootlegs ! ). Two have recent animes and are pretty expensive ( around 25€ a dvd ) and the third one sells "oldies" for around 30€ the serie ( love hina for 30€ for example )

but the subs still suck. I find fansubs much better than "prosubs" , especially the teams who use the -kun, -san, -chan ... it makes you feel you could nearly understand without the subs... :)

kuru
2004-01-16, 10:54
In france there's only three companies who sell anime dvd ( not bootlegs ! ). Two have recent animes and are pretty expensive ( around 25€ a dvd ) and the third one sells "oldies" for around 30€ the serie ( love hina for 30€ for example )

Now "Love Hina" is an "oldie". Of course.., it was broadcasted 3 year and a few months ago. A boy 3 years old is called a baby, but an anime 3 years old is called an oldie.

scotty81
2004-01-17, 08:59
sorry I didn't man to offend anyone! love hina is one the latest out in that collection, but they have Cat's eyes, City hunter but both in dubbed version, and Cobra if I'm right. which is much older than three years ( in france anyway )

Ansible
2004-01-17, 17:54
Its amazing the difference between older and new anime. The computer animation tech is really changing the way anime looks - for the better I think. Look at FMP fumoffu vs ranma for instance. But it makes animes only from only a few years ago look out of date. I wonder how long this trend will continue? I guess there will be some animes that will use 3d rendered computer graphics, and many more that will keep a traditional 2d drawn feel to them. To me there's a certain warmth to 2d drawings that is lost with 3d rendered stuff like roly poly olie or whatever.

Anyway, I finished watching the evangelion discs. I think the mystery of what was going on in the story was deep enough without the additional mystery of not knowing what people were saying. This was purchased from the AnimeKrazy site, btw. Stay away!

SirCanealot
2004-01-17, 18:43
Some stuff will never look old. If it looks good now, it'll still look good in 10 years time. Apart from problems like crapy masters, but we got around that the minute we hit digital...

Wandering A.I.
2004-01-17, 18:50
>Its amazing the difference between older and new anime.

Hehe, agreed. I was trying to watch Touch the other day (from 1985 according to animenfo Oo) and the art was so old and bland I could barely stand it. One odd thing I found, though, was that I understood almost everything they were saying and my Japanese isn't that great. Although it could have just been the show in question (I doubt I could understand Legend of the Galactic Heroes, for example), maybe anime has gotten more sophisticated in other ways than art over the years as well.

>you guys are generalizing again. it depends of which company made the boots.

Well they didn't say all bootlegs had only Japanese audio with English/Chinese subs. They said things that had them were most likely boots. Similarly the fact that buying legit would avoid this problem is still true even if not all boots have it.

There are quite a few out there nowadays that rip the subs (and English audio option as well) from the R1 release particularly (although the video can still be compressed more and thus LQ). So re boot quality, personally, I think it has more to do with the source they stole from than the company.

zalas
2004-01-17, 22:28
Its amazing the difference between older and new anime. The computer animation tech is really changing the way anime looks - for the better I think. Look at FMP fumoffu vs ranma for instance. But it makes animes only from only a few years ago look out of date. I wonder how long this trend will continue? I guess there will be some animes that will use 3d rendered computer graphics, and many more that will keep a traditional 2d drawn feel to them. To me there's a certain warmth to 2d drawings that is lost with 3d rendered stuff like roly poly olie or whatever.

CGI is really starting to make a lot of animation quality suffer. Basically it makes creating anime a lot easier, and people start neglecting the actual animation and spending more time on special effects, etc. Some anime will look good, but if people are starting to replace good story, good animation with flashy graphics, then IMO anime would then start to get worse.

coldzero
2004-01-17, 22:48
how do we know which company did the translation? where does it say on teh box? for Seed the whole series i have in japanese and those english or chinese subtitiles the english subtitles -i don't know if its the company who translate it btu on the first CD its Kira and then the second CD along with thrid and fourth are Gira then the other two are back with Kira.
Better translation is when the anime has been out for some time like Gundam Wing it had more correct translation since i have watched the english version.

brightman
2004-01-17, 22:59
CGI is really starting to make a lot of animation quality suffer. Basically it makes creating anime a lot easier, and people start neglecting the actual animation and spending more time on special effects, etc. Some anime will look good, but if people are starting to replace good story, good animation with flashy graphics, then IMO anime would then start to get worse.

Yeah you're right about that. Basically animation is now divided into 2D art and 3D BG/special effects stuff, and too much of one means the neglect of the other, and it's quite evident in certain anime (Gundam Seed!!!). But nevertheless, I haven't seen a case where the 3D totally dominates everything else just yet, so hopefully it won't happen...

As for the story being affected by too much being spent on animation... I think that won't happen just yet, since story is basically done by totally different people from the animation, and story planning will always come before the art in this industry... But I guess if animation costs keep rising though, they might have to change the story to adjust to the animation and in that case it might be possible...

microlith
2004-01-18, 01:47
coldzero:

Since you're watching bootlegs I don't think you can really complain about the poor quality of the subs.

What you're describing is something they're known for, IE crap for consistency and massive flaws.

coldzero
2004-01-18, 14:52
coldzero:

Since you're watching bootlegs I don't think you can really complain about the poor quality of the subs.

What you're describing is something they're known for, IE crap for consistency and massive flaws.

I was never complainning-you could say that though for your discretion. Not being contemptuous here, I just wonder since it was my first time seeing that. Ya i know bootlegs are never to be trusted. As long as i could understand i'm happy wiht it. What am i to say when you live in japn and should know way more things then.

mondan
2004-01-19, 02:49
I live in england and i want to get hunter x hunter on dvd but i have had no luck in finding it where can i get it?

FinFangFoom
2004-01-19, 03:16
Since it's not licensed outside of Japan you would either have to import unsubbed versions or get the Hong Kong bootleges that I can tell you from experiance are very crappy, and hard to understand since most is directly translated so that the sentance structure makes no sence and the spelling is horrible. Your better off sticking to the torrents on animesuki.

megazone23
2004-01-20, 15:18

I don't know about you guys, but all purely CGI animations that I've seen haven't been all that great (ie. things like the transformers beast wars series or something like the final fantasy movie) Maybe I'm just watching the wrong things.

Wandering A.I.
2004-01-21, 00:49
I don't know about you guys, but all purely CGI animations that I've seen haven't been all that greatAgreed. Platonic chain is an all CGI anime example, I think, and looked absolutely terrible IMHO. On the other hand I love DOA Volleyball and I'm split on the 3D ero games - some are really nice, usually the prerendered ones, and some are really terrible. Vandread had a lot of computer generated battles I thought looked terrible, but people seem to like that one. Xx I think the Western produced Reboot and that new Voltron show they did look terrible. Maybe it's something you can get used to.

Although the people replying ran off talking about the above it sounds to me like Ansible was originally talking about how computers have made traditional 2D animation easier (ie. digital coloring instead of physical painting, compositing, much cleaner frames/other computer processing, etc) and his example of FMP Fumoffu is inarguably one of the most beautifully done anime shows I've seen. I think it's a no-brainer this sort of computer use has improved animation quality so didn't bother objecting to the dissenting replies he got since I think we're talking about two different things. ;p

Edit: spelling, yuck

zalas
2004-01-21, 01:59
Yeah you're right about that. Basically animation is now divided into 2D art and 3D BG/special effects stuff, and too much of one means the neglect of the other, and it's quite evident in certain anime (Gundam Seed!!!). But nevertheless, I haven't seen a case where the 3D totally dominates everything else just yet, so hopefully it won't happen...

As for the story being affected by too much being spent on animation... I think that won't happen just yet, since story is basically done by totally different people from the animation, and story planning will always come before the art in this industry... But I guess if animation costs keep rising though, they might have to change the story to adjust to the animation and in that case it might be possible...
It's not that there will be less money for the story planning, it's that producers will think that a crap story can be totally successful if you throw enough CG at it.

w3sTErGaS
2004-02-08, 06:49
I recentley saw the berserk anime series and totally loved it. I really want the whole series on DVD because the quality I have now isn't all that.

I came across many sites who sell the DVD's and noticed some big diffrences. Especially the prices.

http://www.animediscount.net/item.php?anime_id=00285

http://store.yahoo.com/animenation/bkdvd-6007.html

Can anyone tell me the major diffrence between the two sets?
The animediscount set contains only 3 DVD's and the Animenation has 6 if I'm not mistaken. That's pretty mutch all the info I could get.

I'd really appreciate any additional info on the two sets because the price diffrence is pretty big

microlith
2004-02-08, 06:55
The 3 disc set is a bootleg.

The 6 disc set is the licensed Media Blasters release. Animenation is a legitimate company, in fact they licensed and subbed/dubbed a series recently (Risky Safety.)

I suggest you read the "Where to buy..." sticky at the top of this forum. Don't buy bootlegs.

To be nice:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=MBI060077

Legit site, legit set. Same as on Anime Nation, for about $40 less.

w3sTErGaS
2004-02-08, 07:29
I'm rather new to buying anime on DVD, basicley because the fansubs are goog enough to store on regular cdr.

Could you please tell me what the diffrece is between a bootleg and a licenced release? Is a bootleg from a diffrent source or something?

Thanks for the info and the link!

microlith
2004-02-08, 07:41
A bootleg is an unauthorized copy.

The people make them and sell them for money, but do not compensate the creators in any way.

Licensed releases, such as the Media Blasters release, were legally created by buying the rights to the series (in Media Blasters case an estimated $500,000) for translation and release subtitled and dubbed in English.

If you like anime and want to see more releases, buy licensed, legitimate sets because those companies help the Japanese companies make more anime. Bootleggers selling entire series on 3 DVDs for $36 don't help at all, and just hurt the companies that make it.

w3sTErGaS
2004-02-08, 07:48
Okay, you got me convinced to buy the licenced release. It looks better anyway. And it being $40 cheaper than animenation I'll just go for the licenced one.

But that still doesn't explain the 3 dvd extra. The quality from the licenced should be a whole lot better. Or are the 3 dvd's filled with extra's?

microlith
2004-02-08, 07:58
No, the show is spread out across all 6 discs. There's 5 episodes on two discs, and 4 on the rest.

As opposed to the 3 disc release, where they pack all 26 episodes on 3 discs, damaging video quality greatly.

Weirdanzeige
2004-02-16, 02:45
ok, first I wanna tell the mods and admins on this forum that I'm not affiliated with this site in any: way, shape, or form. I am just asking a simple question, and once the link has been there long enough, remove it or change it

Well..ok, I saw this web site, and there's a lot of anime dvd's in it. It offers full series's of animes at a really low price..they have eng.subs, jap and eng dubs, and around 3 dvd's for each series. What I wanna know is if the site is a bootleg one or not, if it is, its a really good cover

Censored link

again, I am not affiliated w/them at alll, I just wanna know if its bootlegs, cause if not, I wanna buy some dvd's :P

JustAnotherFan
2004-02-16, 03:05
Bootlegs

A few hints:

- Region 0
- More than 5 episodes on a DVD
- Cheap price
- Chinese subs
- Has titles which aren't officially avail subbed yet

All together: definitely bootlegs.

Weirdanzeige
2004-02-16, 03:19
Bootlegs

A few hints:

- Region 0
- More than 5 episodes on a DVD
- Cheap price
- Chinese subs
- Has titles which aren't officially avail subbed yet

All together: definitely bootlegs.ok, thanks. Btw, which animes there had chinese subs? Anyways, yeah, I thought the amount of dvd's was what made it the most obvious. I saw Evangellion there for 30$, and I have a friend who has the box set, and it costed him 176$ and it had 8 dvd's, so ..yeah, thanks mod for censoring the link.

Keitaro
2004-02-16, 03:19
Those are definitely bootlegs :/

You got your answer conisder this thread closed, and yea please don't post links to bootleg sites. You should've just pmed a mod or admin on this issue if u weren't sure about that site.

ThrashSM
2004-02-27, 22:47
Found this on eBay: <Link to bootleg removed>

Is this real? When was this released?

marin
2004-02-27, 22:58
LOL poorly labled hong kong bootleg LOL

Yamano667
2004-02-27, 23:07
it might be a short from the series

Yebyosh
2004-02-27, 23:16

Is this real? When was this released? 1. It's not Gundam Seed the Movie.
2. Yes, it is a bootleg copy.
3. Most likely you'll go "What the crap is this?" when you watch it. :p

Just a note. Perfect Files are generally a collection of sketches, pictures, concept art and other background information and clip. Thus they are for information only.

Keitaro
2004-02-27, 23:17

Is this real? When was this released?

Obviously a HK bootleg. The seller location is Hong Kong, New Territories. :heh:

ThrashSM
2004-02-28, 00:12
Great, thanks for letting me know. =)

brightman
2004-02-28, 09:04
Obviously a HK bootleg. The seller location is Hong Kong, New Territories. :heh:

That and the English/Chinese subs...

It's actually a bootleg of this: http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000QUFKY/249-6391276-6247510

roudy000
2004-03-11, 13:06
here the link I bought 4 Box set of One piece at 4,20 US each ...(lol shipping is 13 per box but anyway)

It is a good deal you think or did I have been screwd..??

Censored link

I won all 4 box set for 4,20 each

Mr_Paper
2004-03-11, 13:09
You just bought a whole lot of bootlegged anime. :nono:

So, no it's not a good deal and you were screwed.

Izzy
2004-03-11, 13:26
not only that.......One Piece is still not licensed in the western world......which mean you can download it for no cost........for now

SwiftStar
2004-03-11, 13:29
Like they said, those are bootlegs so if you have any kind of decent connection I suggest you cancel the order and download them for free. Even if downloading isnt an option, you get what you pay for. I bought a bootleg One Piece before I got my comp and there were long stretches of time in some eps where the subtitles would just disappear. Even when they were there the translation was sketchy.

roudy000
2004-03-11, 13:29
what bootleged or something mean????

For the liscense thing I dont really mind beacause My External Hard Drive is always full and getting rid of 17 gig of one piece will let him free a little

cheez
2004-03-11, 13:35
Bootlegged... meaning they are not official merchandise. They are CDs that somebody else burned freely downloadable One Piece fansub episodes onto. It is illegal to sell these, as the seller has no rights to the material on them. And as Swiftstar pointed out, you don't even know if the sub quality is at par.

If your hard drive is full, then download them and burn them yourself and save yourself the hassle of paying ridiculous shipping costs for an illegal product of unverifiable quality.

Mr_Paper
2004-03-11, 13:37
Bootlegged anime DVDs are illegally produced DVDs with stolen or
often amazingly horrible translations. These DVDs are made without
permission from the original copyright holder and are pure video piracy.

Judging by the images on the site you linked, your new DVDs are from
ComicsOne. A well known Hong Kong bootleg syndicate, among other
things.

roudy000
2004-03-11, 13:59
so he lied to me...argh.. i got screwd
He said that it was the real thing and its factory sealed and all...

I should have come here before I didint know there was a section about dvd's here

but at least people seem to be happy whit the product in feedback history

Our Guarantees:

We only sell licensed Asian product, no bootlegs, no copies.
All items are Brand New and Factory Sealed.
In case, you are not happy with the purchase, contact us, we will try our best making things right.

Thats what they told me in email i just received ....(its the same thing as what they say in the ad on ebay)

cheez
2004-03-11, 14:08
- "product" should be plural and should have a dash after it, not a comma.
- "Brand New" and "Factory Sealed" have no reason to be capitalized.
- I'm not even going to bother listing everything wrong with the third line, but suffice to say the punctuation and grammar are laughable.

Yup, what could possibly go wrong with such a professionally written guarantee? O_o

roudy000
2004-03-11, 14:11
lol :heh:

At least I will free my hard drive lol
I hope They will have good subing.... :sad:

Mr_Paper
2004-03-11, 14:42
I wouldn't hold your breath over good subtitles. :heh:

roudy000
2004-03-11, 14:46
Does ComicsOne make good product???

(exept the fact that those are bootlegs)

anybody already purchase product from them???

Mr_Paper
2004-03-11, 15:08
In general, no.

Be prepared for video quality equal to that of a VHS tape (it might
be a bit better with only 5 episodes a disk), subtitle quality is nearly
non-existent (usually all names within the series will be changed to
their psuedo-chinese equivalents). From the examples of their products
I have seen, it's not unusual for their subtitles to run off the sides of
the screen and the translations something simular to what Babel Fish
outputs. Be prepared to have text along the lines of
"dvdstore2003(a)yahoo.com" appear along the bottom of the screen
several times an episode.

I hope you understand Chinese since, traditionally (although those site
images show otherwise), all their menu text is written in Chinese. I do
however like the four-fold DVD cases that they use, that's about the
only thing really.

Za Paper
2004-03-11, 15:09
Comicsone not good product. Bad translation and bad picture. If you buy, you steal food out of animator kids mouths and support terrorism. Don't buy!

roudy000
2004-03-11, 15:34
sorry zapper I didint know it was bootlegs they lied to me ...I cant cancel it they refused saying they arleady shipped

Shii
2004-03-11, 15:36
Well, then all you can do is pay for it, and then give the seller negative reputation for selling bootlegged merchandise and claiming it was real.

roudy000
2004-03-11, 15:39
thats what i'm planning to do...
Thanks all of you to let me know about bootlegs
I will know in the future...

flammie
2004-03-11, 15:59
Don't forget there is a legitamate U.S. company called ComicsOne, but they publish manga.

sothis
2004-03-11, 16:37
to the original poster:

i would suggest reading this link:
http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html

it describes the things to look for about bootlegs. ebay is NOTORIOUS for being chock full of bootlegs, and some people are very convincing about tricking you into thinking they are legit.

as a general note, i am developing something on my site as a database of known bootlegger vendors online (complete with specific product samples, and/or reasons why), and/or a list of legit ones. the beta version going up is waiting on confirmation from a lawyer (just have to call back once i have a free chance) on legality issues, but it might interest some of you, who knows.

roudy000
2004-03-11, 16:45
cool I'm interested because I want to make a good collection of anime.
I was thinking to start whit those but in the end i dont know if i Will be satisfied like someone said maybye the only good point will be the beautiful box cover...lol
and those are not legit....

Is there TRUE dvd box set like for naruto, hunter x hunter, one pice and hikaru no go...whit english subtitle in Japan that i can buy ....anybody have sites??? Because I know there not liscence so I dont find them on DVD sites from the first tread

Mr_Paper
2004-03-11, 17:27
CDJapan (http://www.cdjapan.co.jp) - Your one stop shop for every anime DVD
and OST related... As well as JPop. :heh:

Although there are very few Japanese anime DVDs
that include English subtitles. There are some, but not many.

Tabiree
2004-03-11, 18:23
For the ones you're looking for, no- there aren't. Not yet atleast. Everything is still in negotiations.

I might clear up a few points for any questions you may ask.

-"why will it take so long if these are already out?"
Because Bootlegers don't use official sources, nor proper translators. That, and legit companies have to get contractds aproved and work out deals with Japanese companies, also negotiating merchandise, translating scripts, producing dubs, paying for artwork ETC.

-"Why are the DVDs so expensive (in regards to region 2), and why don't they have English subtitles?"
I don't know the exact reasons Japanese DVDs are so expensive, some say its a legally required thing, others say because they are more collectable. Also, These DVDs technically don't have international appeal, so no need for subtitles.

anthonyxscotland
2004-03-11, 19:06
Why dont they have english subtitles? The same reason R1's dont have Japanese or Korean subtitles as standard. Yes a few do, but what, enough to count on 2 hands.

hak
2004-03-11, 23:33
nope those animes arent liscenced yet so there is no box set for them. And I dont think hng will ever get liscenced (the anime since the manga is already liscenced) cuz theres like noone interested in go in the states D:

Tabiree
2004-03-12, 07:26
There was no one interested in pokemon until it was bought over to the states.

Ponder on that for a second.

Nyssane
2004-03-12, 09:54
I bought some of the bootlegged ones before, because I needed the raw video footage to do fandubs, and I wanted to take screencaps from each ep without the hassle of downloading each ep. ^_^ Yeah, the subtitles REALLY suck on them, but you can get the picture of what's going on. The best part about it is that most of the episodes are really nice quality. :D Although there are some really sucky ones, too. But all in all, it's better for people who are impatient and don't mind really poor subtitles.

Tabiree
2004-03-12, 10:09
You're STILL buying bootlegs, which outweigh any good that could come from them.

Mr_Paper
2004-03-12, 11:12
Impatience is not an excuse for video piracy and numerous
international copyright violations.

roudy000
2004-03-12, 11:24
I just hope evryone understand that I didint know when I bought those that they were pirated :(
Now I read all I can about anime on dvd and I will not make the mistake twice
:nono:

kannakills
2004-03-12, 11:38
Since they are not licensed, there is no way you will be able to find legitimate copies with english subtitles. You can, however, download them from various groups. Happy hunting.

I suggest investing in some cdr's or dvd+r's and clearing up your hdd. Or maybe adding another one.

outlaw55
2004-03-12, 11:59
Since they are not licensed, there is no way you will be able to find legitimate copies with english subtitles. You can, however, download them from various groups. Happy hunting.

I suggest investing in some cdr's or dvd+r's and clearing up your hdd. Or maybe adding another one.

and DVD-R :P don't hate on the minus >:F

Real Deadpool
2004-03-12, 14:26
- "product" should be plural and should have a dash after it, not a comma.
- "Brand New" and "Factory Sealed" have no reason to be capitalized.
- I'm not even going to bother listing everything wrong with the third line, but suffice to say the punctuation and grammar are laughable.

Yup, what could possibly go wrong with such a professionally written guarantee? O_o

maybe they're asian for real!??

but seriously, couldnt they be selling the japanese version dvds when they do that??

Tabiree
2004-03-12, 19:03
maybe they're asian for real!??

but seriously, couldnt they be selling the japanese version dvds when they do that??

People usually don't sell region 2 DVDs on ebay. If they were, they wouldn't (usually) have subtitles, they'd ALWAYS be Region 2, and they would be way more expensive. I can tell you no one in their right mind would stock let alone sell One Piece for $4.20

lgmcben
2004-03-20, 13:59
(I'm sorry for being a little off topic. T__T)
I heard that the quality of sub-title is unbearable. Can anyone confirm me on this?
Is it that bad? Any script example are welcome.

If the subs are not that bad, then I'm gonna get some series that are hard to find on IRC.

Thank you very much ^__^.

DrWho2002
2004-03-20, 14:08
The scripts are all bad.

You should not buy bootlegs, ever.

EclipseZeta
2004-03-20, 14:15
HK subs are the worst subs ever. I don't own any HK DVD's, so I can't give you an exact script example, but I've seen enough to know they're bad.. Think of it this way: people that do the translation for HK DVD's speak Chinese as their primary langauge. Yet they're translating from Japanese to English. So not only are translations terrible, the overall grammar is also terrible. Even if they were translating from a Chinese translation, things are lost in translation. On top of that, because they pronounce most characters' names differently in Chinese, a lot of Hong Kong DVD's don't even use the original Japanese names of the characters.

Sabin
2004-03-20, 14:20
Its variable really. I saw a Stellvia bootleg that had below vhs quality picture and shitty sound and the instractor told them to run around the apron meaning run laps around the hanger. I have seen some that approach the quality you would get from a decent fansub but those are a rarity.

lgmcben
2004-03-20, 14:22
What a quick replies. Thank you ^__^

Well... actually I'm having a problem finding Happy lesson advance on IRC. T___T

Thank you again !!! ^_^

megazone23
2004-03-20, 15:51
actually depends.
the bootleg ones are beyond horrible (to a point that what's subbed isn't even what's said)
but non-bootleg ones are bearable. i wouldn't say that they're great, but they're not bad either

Yamano667
2004-03-20, 15:53
*HK bootlegs suck
*ADV american releases suck too (sailor moon was released soo bad
*Geneon DVDs some might be good and some are bad
*to me fansubs are the most accurate well made translations

TangentZ
2004-03-20, 16:23
HK DVDs are great if you get them for Chinese subtitles.

Avoid them if you're after English subtitles, though.

Ledgem
2004-03-20, 18:16
My opinion was always that if you're going to actually spend money, spend it and support the right industry. I may be wrong when I say this, but the term "bootleg" seems to imply that none of the bootlegger's profits go to the original creators. I never really understood why people bought HK releases; if a friend of mine said he got the box set of Rurouni Kenshin off of eBay or what have you for 80% off the American price, I'd say I could get it for free. I'd be very surprised to hear that the picture quality of HK DVDs was very high, either, considering that they're not legit products.

It just doesn't make sense to me... you're spending money on something of poor quality and you're supporting the wrong industry? All this when you could either pay more and support the right industry, or just get something of comparable/better quality for free?

relentlessflame
2004-03-20, 18:55
Well... actually I'm having a problem finding Happy lesson advance on IRC. T___T
Happy Lesson Advance? You should be able to get it on BitTorrent right through AnimeSuki, if you're willing and able to go that route. Try this link...

http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/198.html

I personally really prefer BitTorrent to IRC anyway. And, I've heard that the bootleg DVDs are generally quite aweful.

Yebyosh
2004-03-20, 19:31
The legal licensed HK products can be quite good actually but they are only for the Chinese market (Chinese subtitles). They can be the most accurate as well.

People saying that translation to Chinese sucks obviously do not know Chinese. Translation of Japanese to English contains bad losses as well but funny how critiques of Japanese to Chinese never say this. English elitism?

Same goes for those who keep thinking fansubs > company subs.

The bootleg HK market however I would definitely advise anyone to stay away. They are really in it for the money without care and concern for quality (think of them as fansubbers who go for speed and cash). Even their Chinese translations are terrible, it looks like they got the most terrible of fansub group to do their work (or stole from them likely).

So to summarise, do not buy HK bootleg anime. But if you want good Chinese subs, you can look to buy legal licensed HK products (though the Taiwanese seems to be much more available).

Wandering A.I.
2004-03-20, 20:50
>The scripts are all bad.

Increasingly you can find boots that just steal the commercial R1 subs (and even the dub at times), so the above "all" quantifier isn't really true. There are sites that exist solely for reviewing boots to help you decide, although posting links to such here would be against the rules. ^^

Tabiree
2004-03-20, 21:25
1. HK DVDs suck, and only give money to peolpe who don't do any work and who release them illegally.

2. ADV DVDs have been getting better, ala excel saga, abenobashi, rahxephon etc. Certian DVDs do have small irirtations though (such as lower interest titles like saint seiya etc)

2a. The release of Sailor Moon was that way because of Toei, not ADV (for the most part. One error on S2 was ADV's fault, which they acknowoledged and made replacements for).

3. Never had a problem with Geneon DVDs, and they stand out to be some of the best in the whole market.

4. Fansubs aren't always accurate, given they don't even have access to original scripts, let alone people who've worked on the show.

5. Happy Lesson (why you'd want to... wait nevermind) is being released by ADV, who keep consistently cheap prices on all of their DVDs.

bayoab
2004-03-21, 03:01
3. Never had a problem with Geneon DVDs, and they stand out to be some of the best in the whole market.
Every Geneon series I own has either t/l or editing issues...

haunterex
2004-03-21, 03:09
i think someone else said it already in this thread, but i am gonna say it again anyway =p

the real hk anime vcd/dvd are alright, at least for chinese sub and dub.
i bought the neon eva series in the annual HK comic convention and the quality of the vcds were good, but the dubbing was kinda bad.
If good translation of jap to chinese usually keep all the meaning and content of the orginal language, why? a lotta jap stuff are based on chinese things. At least i have no problem understanding some stuff while the other would be scratching their head for explaination.

Tabiree
2004-03-21, 05:38
The Trigun, X TV, Last Exile, hellsing, and Haibane Renmei DVDs I've owned have not had any issues, atleast nothing majorly noteworthy.

I know that Trigun keeps the one opening, for the whole series, but it doesn't exactly effect content in any way.

EclipseZeta
2004-03-21, 11:07
The notion that fansubs > official R1 release CAN be true, but that's not always true. Some groups have such bad translations that HK's might actually be better. The issue with R1 DVD translations usually, is that they translate the script in a manner so that the subtitles are as short as possible. (probably to make it more legible) So sometimes they cut out too much from the literal translation and lose stuff here and there. Definitely annoying. Most groups do a good job translating, but rarely is a fansub translation perfect. A big problem that I've noticed with some fansubs, like A-Keep's Samurai Deeper Kyo was that the translator had NO idea what was being said in certain lines, but the editor fudged the subtitle to make the subs sound completely legitimate. This happens a LOT more often that most of you guys think. Unfortunately, details like this isn't caught by the majority of fansub viewers, who then goes to say that [insert a group's name here]'s subs are the best or that fansubs are better than R1 DVD's.

bayoab
2004-03-21, 15:18
The Trigun, X TV, Last Exile, hellsing, and Haibane Renmei DVDs I've owned have not had any issues, atleast nothing majorly noteworthy.

I know that Trigun keeps the one opening, for the whole series, but it doesn't exactly effect content in any way.

Lain - The famous airsu / alice t/l error
GK21 - The editor fell asleep midway through ep 3, the translator decided to start pulling stuff out of his ass somewhere in 5 iirc
Someday Dreamers- Very very big t/l error: Mahou => "Special power"

Tabiree
2004-03-21, 18:28
Someday Dreamers- Very very big t/l error: Mahou => "Special power"

This was actually based on Marketting, they (not sure who, gunning for Japanese companies) though that'd work better than Magic.

SirCanealot
2004-03-21, 19:35

I've seen Trigun and very recently Last Exile Vol1. Last Exile Vol1's editing was more or less flawless. I don't remember much about Trigun though, but there wassen't much that annoyed me.

While editing on R1 DVDs can sometimes annoy me greatly (they used melancholy on the Fruits Basket disks. I hate that word and I've never heard it used in real conversation ever. I don't even know if that's the correct spelling and frankly, I don't give a crap), at least they basically lack Engrish, which can be quite commen in fansubs, when you move away from the good groups, as well as bad grammar. Allthough .Hack//SIGN vol1 I spoted 2 things which should have been caught. "What if I dye her?" (which should have been "What (happens) if I die here?") and a setance that made no sense -_-
The only difference is, one you pay out your hard earned buck for, one you don't :p

HK anime seeker
2004-03-21, 20:13
I live in Hong Kong and I can vouch for the poor scripts. Don;t get no matter what happen, even if the devils tell you to. Don't give into the darkside!

ZhouYu
2004-03-22, 15:35
the licensed stuff... the dubs be alright... ie Inital D... but the bootlegs... they garbage.... dont even waste your money on it...

Tabiree
2004-03-22, 16:37
Actually, lots of people don't like the Initial D dub, so it's not a very good example.

However, the quality of dubs themselves are getting better and better. It simply takes some time getting used to (and more than OMG TOW SECONDS AND IT SOUNDAD BAKAR LOLLERCQATSA)

babypris
2004-03-29, 04:24
Hmm... I know Shaman King is licensed anime... and I've bought the first DVD box set (1-24)... Now I'm stuck!!! I'm staving for more shaman kings.... but then I can't download it anywhere.. and I've emailed the distributer, they said they don't know when is the next release date!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....

SirCanealot
2004-03-29, 04:55
What DVD Boxset? I hope you mean the cut up, dubbed release (if the DVDs are even out for that yet), or you've just been ripped off with a HK DVD set.

jpwong
2004-03-29, 05:08
Hmm... I know Shaman King is licensed anime... and I've bought the first DVD box set (1-24)... Now I'm stuck!!! I'm staving for more shaman kings.... but then I can't download it anywhere.. and I've emailed the distributer, they said they don't know when is the next release date!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....

Umm, there is no way you have the DVD box set... They haven't yet put out any form of video or DVD in the US yet. At least, it doesn't appear on the 4Kids web site of released or comming soon videos or amazon.com

I think I found what you have on e-bay, since they call it "Shaman King 5 DVD Anime Boxset TV Series Vol.1 1-24 New". Just a FYI, if what you bought is region 0 (can play on any DVD player worldwide), is equiped with japanese audio and english subtitles, you got a bootleg HK DVD. 4Kids to my knowledge has never put out anything with japanese audio track or subtitles, it's always strait dub track.

GHDpro
2004-03-29, 05:08
Guess what, what you bought is probably a bootleg produced by criminals,
as there is no legal release yet (not with English subtitles that I know in any case).

And obviously AnimeSuki will NOT help you with finding places to download it.

I guess I could close this thread, but I'll leave it for now.

husyk
2004-03-29, 10:49
Well it may not be released on DVD at the states, but I'll just keep watching new episodes on FOX during the FOX BOX on Saturdays.

Lance
2004-04-02, 02:53
I've always been a big sucker for girls with guns show. Now I am collecting that kind of anime as many as I can and considering to buy Najica DVDs next.

Wondering whether I should buy collectors' edition with art-box or not, because the collectors' edition includes an exclusive pair of white cotton panties, which is really funny but I don't need at all... Is there anyone who bought this collectors' edition, and how was it? :heh:

Soten
2004-04-02, 03:46
yeah, i bought the box set with the panties, it only comes with the first 4 episodes. Don't get ripped off , buy the ENTIRE box set if your going to.

http://bootlegs.r.us

here you can buy the entire set (subtiles only) for $18.99. If you dont like to buy online, try to find an anime store near you with imports, they should have it.

thus ends my tip of the day :D

TronDD
2004-04-02, 04:30
Um...isn't that a bootleg?

I'm a fan of DVD boxes. I'd buy it with the box and bonus pair of panties. :) I don't know if I'd spend my money on Najica, though.

microlith
2004-04-02, 10:28
Soten,

What you bought was a bootleg made by some cheapass in Hong Kong who didn't feel like paying the creators of the show in Japan.

At least the ADV release is legitimately licensed.

2004-04-03, 00:12
At least the ADV release is legitimately licensed.

At LEAST? C'mon, I like to think we did better than that ;p

TronDD
2004-04-03, 04:27
At LEAST? C'mon, I like to think we did better than that ;p

It does have those oh so insightful audio commentaries. :) It is a nice package for an otherwise bizarre show.

lgmcben
2004-04-23, 09:16
I'm planning to buy this title. I know HK DVDs have a very bad sub-title. But I also heard that 'some' of them have a good quality subtitle.

Question : Anyone have seen Kodomo no Omocha on HK DVDs? How good is the sub title?

Thank you ^_^

Mr_Paper
2004-04-23, 09:59
Normally I wouldn't dignify a post like this with a response, even now you wont get much of one...

There is no such thing as a HK-DVDs with good subtitles. HK-DVDs come with either bad subtitles or stolen subtitles. If your considering buying the Kodomo no Omocha HK-DVDs, then I suggest you find something better to waste your money on.

GHDpro
2004-04-23, 10:27
Do you really think that on a forum that doesn't allow links to licensed anime
we are going to help you pick which BOOTLEG release is better than other?

The ONLY DVD release you should look out for is by Funimation next year.
(or the original R2 Japanese DVDs, which don't have any subtitles at all)

Riese
2004-04-23, 11:33
Look into preordering the Funimation DVDs, most places give an extra discount for preorders.

Don't waste your time or money on bootlegs.

Aurora
2004-04-27, 02:40
I borrowed the HK bootleg from a friend in our anime club, and they were terrible. So bad in fact that I stopped watching around episode 40. The only episodes I understood were the eps I had seen in fansub or those that coincided with the manga.

Having said that I have only seen two other HK bootlegs, Kare Kano and FLCL. They were also borrowed and horrible. There is a reason why bootlegs are so inexpensive, and you get what you pay for. If the three titles I have seen are any representation, people who buy bootlegs must not be true anime fans. The translations are so bad and the timing is so far off it is impossible to know what is truely going on in the story.

helsing
2004-06-15, 18:38
Who out there knows where I could buy alot of Naruto Movies?

Please let me know. :help:

NoSanninWa
2004-06-15, 19:05
Sorry, but there aren't any Naruto Movies yet, although one is currently being made. Read The Official Naruto Movie Thread for more information. If you want to know where to purchase anything else cheap I would suggest that you read The "Where do I buy..." Thread.

PS. Strange question, but at least you only posted it in one place. ;)

xris
2004-06-15, 19:06
Who out there knows where I could buy alot of Naruto Movies?

There are only R2 DVDs available for the TV series (there are no movies as such). None of these have English subtitles, just Japanese audio.

If this is what you mean, then you can purchase them at cdjapan (http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/), just search for Naruto (http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/search.html?type=GC&restrict=DVD&word=naruto).

There are plenty of illegal bootlegs available but the general consensus is not to waste your money on these pirate copies, just download the fansubs while you can and wait for the official release with English subtitles to come out (but when is another matter since the series isn't even licensed yet). It's easy to tell the bootleg DVDs, since they typically will be
Region 0
6+ episodes per disc

As mentioned, don't bother with the bootlegs since the translations are generally terrible and the video quality isn't that great.

Riku540
2004-06-22, 08:59
This is the first anime series I’ve ever LOVED enough to invest in, so I want to collect the entire series on DVD eventually. I was looking around online for the DVDs, and noticed that there are several different releases of the same episodes by different companies or providers. I was wondering if there is a difference in these releases, and if any of them are better than the other, and if so which one I should buy? Thanks!

microlith
2004-06-22, 09:14
There is only ONE legit Naruto DVD release, and that is the Japanese R2 dvd release that has NO subtitles. See here:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/search.html?type=GC&restrict=DVD&word=Naruto

There are NO legit subtitled releases.

Suikun
2004-06-22, 09:17
It sounds like you're looking at bootlegs. In Japan, just as in the US, typically only one company gains distribution rights to a certain anime's DVDs, so this problem doesn't exist.

Do the DVDs also have English subtitles?
Because a vast majority of all Japanese DVDs (including Naruto) don't have subtitles, yet nearly every "import" bootleg does.

If these are bootlegs that you're looking at, I'd have no idea which one is best since I've never bought any myself (maybe someone else here as experience with it) but the general opinion on bootlegs is that they are generally of such crap quality that it just isn't worth the money, and that fact that you're basically paying some cheap Hong Kong firm to steal other people's work and make profits off it isn't exactly a great thing.

If you'd like to collect Naruto on DVD, I'd recommend just waiting until it's licensed in the US (anytime now, FUNimation!) and buying the official DVDs. Worst case scenario, even if a company like 4Kids gets Naruto, I'd bet no anime distributor would be stupid enough to not release a show like this in "uncut, Japanese with subtitles" form, so I wouldn't worry about that.

EDIT:
Looks like Microlith beat me to the punch.

Sanjuronord
2004-06-22, 19:16
If these are bootlegs that you're looking at, I'd have no idea which one is best since I've never bought any myself (maybe someone else here as experience with it) but the general opinion on bootlegs is that they are generally of such crap quality that it just isn't worth the money, and that fact that you're basically paying some cheap Hong Kong firm to steal other people's work and make profits off it isn't exactly a great thing.
Bootlegs have terrible quality, can't imagine anyone who'd buy them over a legit release despite the price difference. I think I've bought two-three and hated everyone of them. A slayers set with bad audio in several episodes (audio off sync w/ video), one of jin-roh w/ terrible audio quality, and I once bought a lodoss war tv set thinking it was the real one only to find it a bootleg and missing the english subtitles. Bootlegs: you get what you pay for, so unless you want cheap crap don't buy it. :heh:

Besides, wait for the Naruto dub, it might turn out alright and if it does wouldn't you want both the dub and the original?

Kyuven
2004-06-22, 22:41
if it's region free with english and chinese subtitles, avoid it like the plague, those are bootlegs
if you want legit, buy the japanese releases
if you want subs, download the fansubs

ShinDragon
2004-06-22, 23:17
There are other Legit NARUTO DVDs, other than the R2 Japanese.

But it's R3, with Chinese Subtitle only. (The company name is e-Kids)

Fronzel
2004-06-23, 02:21
Isn't China Region 6?

It is! (http://hometheaterinfo.com/dvd3.htm)

Oh, wait, but Malaysia, right?

Melazoma
2004-06-23, 03:03
Isn't China Region 6?

It is! (http://hometheaterinfo.com/dvd3.htm)

Oh, wait, but Malaysia, right?
Taiwan most likely as well--I remember seeing a picture someone posted of his Tottoro DVD from Taiwan, where the written language and, last time I checked, official language is Chinese. It was published by Disney's Taiwan division and region-coded. I'm pretty sure I saw the region label say R-3...

Carrot Glace
2004-06-23, 18:05
Well I know im probably going to be hated for being a regular customer for hk rips but the av (animemation video) quality of naruto is very good its an r2 rip so the video is awesome and the subs are desent id give the subbs 8.7 ouit of 10
now the mi version (manga international) i have not seen but I dont think they would be a wise investment because its most likely a tv rip but you never know it could be desent, And resently fx started making naruto and fx is the best out there because they always rip r1 and r2 so their video and subs are usually flawlesss and ofcoarse their sound would be excellent aswell.

microlith
2004-06-23, 19:12
Bootlegs are shit, if only for the simple reason that they do not in any way compensate the creators and aim to make money on their venture.

Carrot Glace, please refrain from even hinting at suggesting that buying a bootleg would be good. They're the result of greedy assholes who rip off everyone involved in the production for the sake of making a quick buck at their expense.

Kyuven
2004-06-23, 23:46
Bootlegs are shit, if only for the simple reason that they do not in any way compensate the creators and aim to make money on their venture.

Carrot Glace, please refrain from even hinting at suggesting that buying a bootleg would be good. They're the result of greedy assholes who rip off everyone involved in the production for the sake of making a quick buck at their expense.
i was going to post another comment, but microlith took the words right outta my keyboard

Lord Raiden
2004-06-24, 10:05
Having never heard of Doraemon until just a few weeks ago I decided to do a bit of research into DVD collections of the series and found that AnimeToxic (http://www.animetoxic.com/z_doraemon.cfm) has them for dirt cheap, but I can't tell if these are legit or bootlegs and if they're legit, how many episodes per collection. The collections are obviously 3 disks and are subtitled DVD. They're also non-region specified, so that's a plus, not that I care if they're R1's or R2's anymore anyways. Can anyone give me more details on these disks? I'm guessing that if a standard commertial DVD disk can hold up to 3.5 hours of video plus extras, and each episode is only 10 minutes, each collection probubly holds like 2-4 whole seasons in them. Can anyone clarrify this? Also, is AnimeToxic a good place to buy from? I've never done business with them before (heck, I never knew they existed before. I only found them by accident just today searching for Doraemon) so I have no back history on them. Any info is welcome.

Melazoma
2004-06-24, 10:12
Non-Region Coding: Dead give-away of bootlegs, basically without exceptions because all legit anime DVDs published in whatever regions have their respective region-codings.

English and Chinese Subtitles: Chinese subtitles have been the notorious identifier of bootlegs. Although legitimate R-3(Taiwan?) and R-5 (China) anime DVD releases carry Chinese subtitles(duh), they seldomly, if ever, carry English subtitles with them.

The Publisher: Anime Cartoon is known to be one of the major bottleggers.

Lord Raiden
2004-06-24, 10:35
Ah, ok. Cool. Glad I asked. I hadn't ever heard of this group before, so I didn't have any data on them to know if they were bootleggers or not. I also didn't know to look for those types of easy identifiers of bootlegs. I knew of a few tell tale things, but not those items specifically. Now it makes me want to go back through my anime dvd collection and see if I didn't accidentily pick up some bootlegs along the way. It would suck if I did. :(

Of course if I did have some it wouldn't surprise me anymore. I was, up until about a few days ago, addimate beyond reason that my whole anime dvd collection, save for 8 anime, were all R2's. Come to find out my collection is about 70% R1, 30% R2 of which I didn't realize until I took a closer and more detailed look. I just assumed that I was collecting all R2's until someone called me on that statement and I went back to prove them wrong and found out I was the one who was wrong. (yes, whoever challenged me on my claim of owning all R2's was right. I don't own all R2's, much to my surprise, so I want to thank you for refuting my claims. It's been an eye opener.)

But all that aside, do you know of a comprehensive list somewhere on the web on how to properly identify bootlegs? If I did somehow unknowingly pick up some bootlegs along the way I want to find them and get them out of my collection asap. I have a zero tollerance policy on bootlegs, but that doesn't mean I didn't somehow pick some up by accident. I've been known to miss the obvious before. I'm not perfect by any means. :)

Quarkboy
2004-06-24, 16:29

Ah I beg to differ... sort of. Bootleggers provide one useful service: They set a clear and unambiguous moral low point, with which less clearly immoral/illegal activities can be compared. E.g. "Well at least we aren't hk bootleggers...". If these true scoundrals weren't here, there would be nothing for us fansubbers to compare with to prop up our own positions.

Carrot Glace
2004-06-24, 16:55

well technically they are not the ones ripping everybody off they in a sense would be helping out the people by giving them affordable prices. now why should I help anybody on their venture for moneywhen they already have more money then me and i can barely afford their price as it is.

oyes and with my first statement im only sticking to the topic because he was asking wich one to buy so i gave him my knowledge on what was out here for him.

Melazoma
2004-06-24, 17:15
We need to have a picture/photograph of a bunch of poor animators cramped up in a mini-studio in Tokyo, beavering away on hundreds of pages, while getting paid lower wages than burger-flippers in the same city, for each and every time statements like this(see below quote) is made.
now why should I help anybody on their venture for moneywhen they already have more money then me and i can barely afford their price as it is.

sOnJoOL
2004-06-24, 17:39
im not really rich. but i dont wanna support bootlegging bastards.
so i just be patient and buy it one by one even if it takes forever.
i really don't like copyright stuff but its a law and u have to follow it.

DrWho2002
2004-06-24, 18:23
well technically they are not the ones ripping everybody off they in a sense would be helping out the people by giving them affordable prices. now why should I help anybody on their venture for moneywhen they already have more money then me and i can barely afford their price as it is.

oyes and with my first statement im only sticking to the topic because he was asking wich one to buy so i gave him my knowledge on what was out here for him.

You gave him a wrong answer. You obviously have no idea what it takes to put a proper DVD release together. It is "affordable" for what went into making the product. If YOU can't afford it, well tough sh*t. Boo hoo. You go without. Just because a company has more money than you, you want to stick it to the man? Get real.

kj1980
2004-06-24, 19:19
now why should I help anybody on their venture for moneywhen they already have more money then me and i can barely afford their

Try living in Tokyo with little under 50,000-90,000 yen per month.

Kyuven
2004-06-25, 10:10

do you have any idea how little the animators get paid?
they can't even afford the products they're producing! yet you go around saying "why should i pay such high prices when i can get it dirt cheap from a group of sweaty chinese guys living in a basement in Hong Kong?"
it's called equal compensation, the tricky thing is we don't see these in other countries, but when you watch TV you're essentially getting thousands of hours of entertainment for free, so if anything, YOU owe THEM, especially if you download fansubs
...and i'm not calling the kettle black, every series i watch on fansubs that gets licensed, i buy

7thMethuselah
2004-06-25, 10:53
do you have any idea how little the animators get paid?
they can't even afford the products they're producing! yet you go around saying "why should i pay such high prices when i can get it dirt cheap from a group of sweaty chinese guys living in a basement in Hong Kong?"
it's called equal compensation, the tricky thing is we don't see these in other countries, but when you watch TV you're essentially getting thousands of hours of entertainment for free, so if anything, YOU owe THEM, especially if you download fansubs
...and i'm not calling the kettle black, every series i watch on fansubs that gets licensed, i buy

I agree , bootlegs are evil. it's better to buy one show with the company who made it an have 9 dl fansubs then to buy 10 bootlegs. Bootleggers just rip of other people's work to earn some money fats and cheap. They are below low, no even lower (hmm, I'm not making sense am I?)

Anyway, if you are gonna buy DVD's buy the legit ones, if everyone keeps buying bootlegs, the producing coompanies won't see any money, go bankrupt and no more anime will be made. Try to think of that when you consider buying bootlegs.

bubblehead
2004-06-25, 23:52
check here: http://www.jazzmess.com/merch/bootlegfaq.html
and here: http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html#dvdlogo

also watch out for folding, clear DVD cases which are flimsy and hold more than two DVDs. Bootlegs often ship in these. I think they mention almost everything else, though.

Be VERY careful with soundtracks if you buy them; often there are no signs you can see if you buy them online, so buy import sountracks only from sources you know are legit.

I, too, once bought a bootleg by accident, knowing no way to tell the difference. :(

curlyconnor
2004-06-26, 00:06
Yes, also, there are many stores that all they sell are bootlegs, and animetoxic is one of them.

curlyconnor
2004-06-26, 00:10
The reader's digest version:

If it's:

1. All region
2. Has Chinese AND English subtitles, and nothing else
and 3. Has 26 episodes on 3 discs, 13 on 2, etc.

Then it's probably a bootleg. However, there are a few DVD's out there (mostly legitimate Hong Kong DVD's like from Universe) that meet this criteria (or come close) that are indeed legitimate (although you're much more likely to find this with live-action J-flicks as opposed to anime). Also, many bootlegs may also contain english dubs, or italian/spanish/french subtitles.

Broccoli
2004-06-26, 00:28
Non-Region Coding: Dead give-away of bootlegs, basically without exceptions because all legit anime DVDs published in whatever regions have their respective region-codings.

English and Chinese Subtitles: Chinese subtitles have been the notorious identifier of bootlegs. Although legitimate R-3(Taiwan?) and R-5 (China) anime DVD releases carry Chinese subtitles(duh), they seldomly, if ever, carry English subtitles with them.No and no. There are exceptions.

I have bought 100% legitimate discs in Hong Kong with Japanese and Cantonese audio, and English, Chinese and Japanese subtitles. Essentially all Ghibli materials are released by Intercontinental (http://www.intercontinental.com.hk/) in this format. These are region 3 discs.

Also have some titles published by Odex (http://www.odex.com.sg) in Singapore. These are legit region free discs with English, Chinese and Malay subtitles.

The Publisher: Anime Cartoon is known to be one of the major bottleggers.Yup, this is true.

bubblehead
2004-06-26, 00:35
The reader's digest version:

If it's:

1. All region
2. Has Chinese AND English subtitles, and nothing else
and 3. Has 26 episodes on 3 discs, 13 on 2, etc.

Then it's probably a bootleg. However, there are a few DVD's out there (mostly legitimate Hong Kong DVD's like from Universe) that meet this criteria (or come close) that are indeed legitimate (although you're much more likely to find this with live-action J-flicks as opposed to anime). Also, many bootlegs may also contain english dubs, or italian/spanish/french subtitles.
yeah, some bootlegs are copies of the legitimate region 1 DVDs. Also, if you see a video CD for sale somewhere with anime on it, obviously, it's a fake, and probably made from a fansub to boot. :mad: I hate it when they take advantage of fansubs like that. Fansubs are about as morally... questionable as I'll tolerate, after all. Same with anime music videos. I don't know if the mods here are okay with AMVs though... after all, the mods on an AMV-related forum I post on aren't okay with fansubs (and the members are constantly arguing the morality of fansubbing, especially "ethical" fansubbing).

...sorry, some of that was off-topic, but anyway, what I mean to say is that bootleggers piss me off.

If you ever see a website, and want me to try to figure out if the anime is bootlegged, pm me or email me the link. I'll be glad to help.

(I need a smiley with a sign "join the crusade!")

kj1980
2004-06-26, 04:06
How to differentiate between bootlegs versus our Japanese DVDs by looking at the label (while not entirely the case, it is one example)

The label of my bootleg copy of "Angelic Layer" that I was duped into buying in the dark alleys of Akihabara
http://www.boomspeed.com/kj1980/bootleg_label.jpg
Note the misspelled MEPG2. Many bootleg DVDs have poor misspellings and grammatical errors.

While this one is in Japanese, my other one has an English warning label that reads:
http://www.boomspeed.com/kj1980/bootleg_label2.jpg

WARNING: The copyright proprietor has licensed the film(including its soundtrack) comprised in DVD video disc for home only. All other rights are reserved. The definition of home use excluding the use of this DVD video disc at locations such as cluds, coaches, hospital, hotels, oil rigs, prisons and schools. Any unauthorized copying, editing, exhibition, renting, exchangihg, hiring, lending, public performance, diffusion and/or broadcast of this DVD video disc or any part thereof is strictly prohibited and any such action establishes liability for a civil action and may give rise to criminal prosecution.

Note the region coding is "0" NTSC.

Note the term D5x3 which literally means "three discs of DVD5." DVD5 means single-sided, single layer. There is no way a Japanese company will release an entire series on three single-sided single-layer DVD - our country's otakus are also annoyingly known to be hardcore AV fanatics who outcry on such degration of compressed video at such rate.

Note the 2 subtitled languages: "Chinese" and "English." Lest some exceptions, no Japanese DVD carry any subtitles at all - and even if they did, they will usually only carry English.

Note the e-mail address going to some basic e-mail server at yahoo.com. Now why would a respectable Japanese anime company have their e-mails fowarded to a Yahoo account?

Note the barcode on both images. The barcode numbers are exactly the same on all bootleg DVDs from the same bootleg distributor. They both read: 4-988102-822712

Lesson learned that I will only buy stuffs at major retailers, my copy of "Shingetsutan Tsukihime Volume 3" DVD
http://www.boomspeed.com/kj1980/tsukihime_label.jpg

Lest for the "Manufactured by Geneon Entertainment Inc. Made in Japan" everything else is in Japanese.

Note the region 2 marking

Most Japanese DVDs only carry one single track - a Linear PCM 2ch Stereo track in Japanese. There are no subtitles at all (with several exceptions)

Note the correct spelling of MPEG2

Japanese DVDs usually carry a price tag on each respective DVD. This one has a retail sticker for 5000 yen.

Note the minutes this DVD contains. 48 minutes - or 2 episode worth in one DVD. Unlike the bootleg which squeezes in as much episodes in a single-sided single-layer DVD, this only has 2 episodes on the same DVD5 format.

Japanese DVDs carry logos for JASRAC (something like the RIAA in the United States), the TV Station where it was aired on (in this case - TBS Animation), and the animation company the anime was made in (Rondo Robe)

Broccoli
2004-06-26, 05:05
Also, if you see a video CD for sale somewhere with anime on it, obviously, it's a fake, and probably made from a fansub to boot.If by 'video CD', you mean a yellow book disc (http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq02.html#S2-2) with DivX/WMV/RM/whatever data files on it, then yes it's almost certain it's a bootleg. If you mean a white book disc (http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq02.html#S2-2), aka VCD (containing up to 74 minutes of MPEG1 video [yuck] with stereo audio on a CD-ROM/XA disc), then no, there are tons of licensed SE Asian publishers who put out anime on video CDs (pressed discs, of course).

Lord Raiden
2004-06-26, 12:47
Thanks for the info. I'll peal back through my collection again using these tips and see what I have and see if I find anything using these guidelines. So far I've already set aside two DVD sets that appeared questionable thanks to Melazoma's original info. I'd hate to end up finding out they're bootlegs because they're of series that are hard to get ahold of. Then again, if they're bootlegs they'll get the same summary burning as any other bootleg that enters this house. :)

Again, thanks for the info everyone! :)

PS: kj1980, can you spoilerize your pics. They're a bit big and make the screen all weird. ;) Thanks.

DrWho2002
2004-06-26, 15:05
How can you buy stuff and not even realize what region it is? Are you blind?

2004-06-26, 16:32
No and no. There are exceptions.

Yes, but if you -know- that the particular product you're looking at is an exception, you're not here askin' if it's a bootleg. If you don't know (and are asking on a message board), then it's almost certainly a bootleg, with a certainty I'd bet large sums of money on in relative safety. ^_^

If it's coming from a source -outside- Japan, assume it's bootleg unless you happen to know specifically that it's not. If it's got specs that don't conform to the Japanese release, assume it's bootleg.

KJ, thanks for the excellent scans to point out the difference. I oughta smack those Manga Int guys, they pirate my work! (nothing worse than seeing your name in the credits of a bootleg, guys)

Lord Raiden
2004-06-26, 18:43
How can you buy stuff and not even realize what region it is? Are you blind?
No, I'm not blind. I am just one who assumes that something is R1 or R2 because of the places I get it from. It never really dawned on me to double check them to verify that they weren't bootlegs. Heck, if I do find a bootleg or two it'll serve me right. It wasn't until kj1980 said I was mistaken about having all R2's in my collection that I found out he was right and I had falsely assumed that I had been buying all R2's this whole time. So yeah, 95% of it is lazyness on my part and being too trusting of the places I buy from. I certainly won't be making that mistake again. Hence why I'm asking questions now. First mistake is on me. That's a freebee. I don't permit myself to make the same mistake twice. Professional courtesy to myself. ;)

Mr_Paper
2004-06-26, 19:13
KJ, thanks for the excellent scans to point out the difference. I oughta smack those Manga Int guys, they pirate my work! (nothing worse than seeing your name in the credits of a bootleg, guys)No need to worry about seeing your name on a Manga Int. bootleg... Animation World Int. Ltd. is a different story. ^^:

/me is currectly scanning the covers of a bootlegged Noir boxset.

Lord Raiden
2004-06-26, 22:14
Could you guys please spoilerize the images. They're scewing this thread bigtime to where it's hard to read. Arigatoo. ^_^

mashimaro_boy
2004-07-19, 14:04
link removed

Is this a good place to buy Initial D dvds? I saw this webstore advertised at a Initial D forum. Their prices seem fair. I am trying to start my collection from 1st stage up to the latest 4th stage.

GHDpro
2004-07-19, 14:53
Number of disc(s) : 1
Encoding : 100% Region Code Free
Video : NTSC
Spoken : Japanese
Subtitle : English, Chinese
Price: $9.95
Above quote is from the website. I've highlighted the things that make this a 99% likely
chance of being bootlegs: region free, english & chinese subs and unlikely low price tag.

Although the 2 episodes per DVD count is actually very much like original Japanese DVDs,
just not at that price tag though and the fact that volume 2 (episodes 3+4) won't be out
in Japan until August -- http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=AVBA-14992
( that link IS a legit link for Initial D 4th Stage, but be aware: NO subtitles! )

Also, for Initial D 1st Stage, be sure the publisher mentioned is "TokyoPop" and
that it IS region 1 and contains no chinese subtitles. For example:
http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=76724
( er, actually this link makes the price tag argument a bit false :heh: )

Tallica
2004-07-24, 12:57
is it illegal to purchase chinese anime imports? just wondering cus a ton of places near me sell them so i was wondering cus they have a really good selection. from what my friends say they are not the same as bootlegs...so i don't see what the problem would be.

Radd
2004-07-24, 14:01
is it illegal to purchase chinese anime imports? just wondering cus a ton of places near me sell them so i was wondering cus they have a really good selection. from what my friends say they are not the same as bootlegs...so i don't see what the problem would be.

As far as I know it's illegal to sell bootlegs, but not illegal to own them. That could be wrong, but at the very least, I have never in all my 25 years heard of anyone ever getting in trouble for buying an HK bootleg.

As for these so-called 'chinese imports', if they have english subtitles, they're bootlegs. If they don't, then they're probably still bootlegs. Bootlegging isn't illegal in China from my understanding, and that is why it is so prevelant over there.

I find it personally distasteful to buy a bootleg of a legitimately available title, but if it's something not yet available in your county, it's on pretty much the same level as downloading a fansub.

zalas
2004-07-24, 17:59
I find it personally distasteful to buy a bootleg of a legitimately available title, but if it's something not yet available in your county, it's on pretty much the same level as downloading a fansub.
Not exactly. Purchasing a bootleg item means someone is making money off someone else's work without permission.

pandaman
2004-07-25, 12:17
Is this bootleg:

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1003676921/code-c/section-anime/

It is being sold by YesAsia, a reputable and very large company i trust, pretty much in the same league as Amazon IMO... it is 15 VCDs with One Piece 1 - 30.

This set was released July 10, 2004... so not that long ago, is it bootleg? :hmm:

Somedude
2004-07-25, 13:05
Is this bootleg:

<link removed>

It is being sold by YesAsia, a reputable and very large company i trust, pretty much in the same league as Amazon IMO... it is 15 VCDs with One Piece 1 - 30.

This set was released July 10, 2004... so not that long ago, is it bootleg? :hmm:

The price alone prettymuch ensures that is a bootleg.

pandaman
2004-07-25, 13:17
Crazy, why is a reputable company selling bootlegs?

Nico
2004-07-25, 17:20
and DVD-R :P don't hate on the minus >:F

hmm i've always wondered, what is the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R?

and is one better than the other?

zalas
2004-07-25, 17:56
The price alone prettymuch ensures that is a bootleg.
I'd be tempted to say that also. The set comes from Mainland China, and also has Mandarin dialogue. Either it's legit, or it's a very organized bootlegging operation.

teh_suck
2004-07-26, 13:18
I'd be tempted to say that also. The set comes from Mainland China, and also has Mandarin dialogue. Either it's legit, or it's a very organized bootlegging operation.
I think Yaoi Pocky would probably explain this better than I, being that I don't speak Chinese and she does, and thus my explanation of the contents of various documents is based on her translation, but here goes:
There is a legitimate Chinese publisher called 福建省文藝音像出版社, or (roughly) the Fujian Province Audio-Visual Arts Company. They are listed as the publisher for the One Piece set. However, the real Fujian Province Audio-Visual Arts Company put out a press release stating that a pirate group was making illicit use of their logo and forged signatures of their officers to distribute pirate media under the guise of legitimate media. One such press release had a list of all legitimate releases by the company. If you look at the traditional Chinese version of the YesAsia listing, you will see that the One Piece set is listed with an alternate title of (roughly) Intergalactic Heroes. This is the name of a product legitimately released by the Fujian AV Arts Co, but if you know anything about One Piece, you know that it has no relation to that show. In other words, we think this alternate title is an attempt by the pirate group to continue to sell their pirate wares through unaware merchants, and unfortunately YesAsia has been duped. Yaoi Pocky was going to send this information to YesAsia, but I'm not sure if she has yet. In the meantime, the press release by the real Fujian Prov. AV Arts Co is here: http://www.ccm.gov.cn/mediaMovieChannel/main/yxdy-3.jsp?id=39&lm=gg
so if you want to confirm for yourselves that Kenshin, One Piece, Initial D, and Yu Yu Hakusho, among others, are not on this list, then send an e-mail to service@yesasia.com pointing out the URLs of the press release and of the suspicious items, and mention things like the suspiciously low price, the english subtitles, and the alternate title unrelated to the content of One Piece as reasons to believe that the items are being sold by the pirate version of the Fujian Co., not the legitimate one. Just one person doing this should be effective, but many people doing it should bring about faster results.

zalas
2004-07-26, 18:39
Hrm, in 海盗王 又名:星际勇士 , the first title IS appropriate for the series as it is "Pirate King", while the second title (the alternative one), 星际勇士 means Heroes of the Stars.
And yeah, 星际勇士 IS on the list, while 海盗王 isn't.
Oh well, I wonder how the bootleggers managed to convince yesasia that 海盗王 was星际勇士, even though it only says 海盗王 on the box :/

teh_suck
2004-07-26, 18:49
Oh well, I wonder how the bootleggers managed to convince yesasia that 海盗王 was星际勇士, even though it only says 海盗王 on the box :/
It would only say 海盗王 on a legitimate box. The pirates are clearly printing their own box, so they could just have put whatever additional erroneous titles on it they wanted to.

Nagi_Souichiro
2004-07-31, 22:32
I found 2 different sites with the anime tenjou tenge dvd box sets. But each of them are different looking, I was wondering if you know which one is pirated and which one isnt, like if any of you people have one of these tell me if they are pirated or not.

link to bootleg removed

about the link above, does it have the ifrst 13 episodes?

link to bootleg removed

Please look for it under japanese anime and under T.

Please post back, i really want to get it but im cautious about which one to get.

Kite
2004-07-31, 22:49
Both of those are bootlegs

Mr_Paper
2004-07-31, 22:51
Which should you get? Neither.

The stores you've linked to are bootleg providers and the products themselves are bootlegs. Now, will a mod purge of those links?

Nagi_Souichiro
2004-07-31, 22:54
Does Anybody know a link to a site that has the actual dvd's? Not the bootlegs?

ShinDragon
2004-07-31, 23:03
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/

Mr_Paper
2004-07-31, 23:06
Does Anybody know a link to a site that has the actual dvd's? Not the bootlegs?Tenjo Tenge ROUND.1 - http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=AVBA-14991

Volume 2 and 3 will be out on August 25th and September 29th.

xelloss99
2004-07-31, 23:42
Or if you want Geneon's North American version (which will be cheaper than the Japanese release and with subtitles), then you'll have to wait until it comes out sometime in Spring 2005. Until then, if you see any version with English subtitles, it's a bootleg.
Another hint for bootlegs: If it has Chinese subtitles, it's a bootleg.

Yebyosh
2004-08-01, 01:25
Another hint for bootlegs: If it has Chinese subtitles, it's a bootleg. Are you calling the R3 Official DVDs bootlegs? They have only Chinese subtitles you know, and they are produced by respectable media companies including Disney (Taiwan), P/M or Koudanshou (Taiwan).

There's not much now to really differentiate bootlegs anymore. Though if the DVD has Chinese and English subs, it is 99% probable it is a boot leg (the 1% exception being the Disney Ghibli & P/M media group Classic Storybook R3 DVD).

The only real indication of a bootleg from the East is now an amazing ahead-of-official-announced-schedule release, as well as a a "OMG-I-can't-believe-this-price" for as many as 8 episodes on a single DVD.

To the topic at hand, yes, they are bootlegs. None of the R3 legal media companies have announced getting Tenjou Tenge yet.

ChoBaka
2004-08-01, 01:37
I think the Region 0 (region-free) is more of a hint of a bootleg than Chinese subtitles.But official region-free releases DO exist, just not that many. Chinese & English subtitles, plus region 0, plus insane cheap price, then you can be pretty sure it's a bootleg.

xelloss99
2004-08-01, 03:54
Are you calling the R3 Official DVDs bootlegs? They have only Chinese subtitles you know, and they are produced by respectable media companies including Disney (Taiwan), P/M or Koudanshou (Taiwan).

There's not much now to really differentiate bootlegs anymore. Though if the DVD has Chinese and English subs, it is 99% probable it is a boot leg (the 1% exception being the Disney Ghibli & P/M media group Classic Storybook R3 DVD).

What I meant, of course, is Chinese subtitles in addition to English subtitles as you mentioned in the latter sentence. Not many people here would buy a disc if it had only Chinese subtitles.

jamxmzn
2004-08-02, 06:07
hi just want to ask this question cos i realise that the dvds i buy(originls from shops) the english subs are very bad... just want to know why izzit so bad

hacks21
2004-08-02, 07:18
this is the web http://www.bootlegs.r.us/ i bought a few from here but now to think of it each dvd consists of 8 episodes ..........is this really original or have i been cheated?

hacks21
2004-08-02, 07:20
RAHXEPHON and fruits basket only has 3 dvd which each dvd has 8 or 9 episodes in it ......anyone can help me find out whether its original because as far as i know most original has only 3 to 4 episodes in one dvd ....

xris
2004-08-02, 08:02
These are bootlegs, so yes you have been cheated. For more info I suggest you use the Search feature and look for "bootlegs".

I'm going to merge a bunch of threads together since we are getting to many of these sort of inquiries. Closing thread.

lamer_de
2004-08-02, 08:21
You can tell apart a good and a bad english sub? Amazing, because your lack of grammar and spelling does suggest otherwise. Anyway, bootlegs have:

-no region coding (Region 0)
-chinese subtitles (while there are legit releases with chinese subs, those are in the vast minority. I think there are around 4-6 legit releases with chn. subs, mosty movies)
-still running series/series which have been licensed only recently
-high episode counts (like 3-4 discs for 26 eps)
-paper fold outs that hold the dvds for complete series instead of paper boxes and the usual DVD cases.

So yes, the DVDs you bought are bootlegs :D

CU,
lamer_de

ShinDragon
2004-08-02, 08:28
Those legit Chinese DVD (R3) will only have Chinese subs.. some might also have Chinese Dub, too.
If there are anime DVD with both Chinese & English or not R3 DVDs..... most likely it's bootleg.

MrMonkey
2004-08-02, 17:52
It still disgusts me people still willingly purchase bootlegs, which are not only a copyright violation in most countries (like fansubs are), but exist to provide a stream of money to parties not entitled to earn a damn cent from their robbing. It doesn't matter how good the quality is - there's simply no justification for it.
I was waiting for someone to say that. My thoughts exactly.

When you buy a bootleg, you are getting exactly that: a bootleg. Just because you paid money for it, it doesn't make it any more legitimate than downloading the series for free online. In fact, it's a lot worse IMO, since you're (willingly or not) helping some dickhead profit from another's work. If you really MUST have a series and you aren't able to buy a legit DVD, then download it if you have to. At least that way some fucktard isn't getting rich off of something they have no right to.

hacks21
2004-08-02, 18:33
man i bought 400$ of anime from this bastard company

www.akdvd.com

i was totally ripped i even paid the same amount to buy an original:(

bohemian
2004-08-03, 23:32
This is an interesting thread, and I'm sure most anime fans had experience on bootlegs, now let me share my thoughts:

Generally, I avoid bootlegs as often as possible. Even though they are cheap, they still cost money to buy. If I can find BT of my favorite animes, I won't hesitate to download them and will never buy any DVD (both bootleg and legit) even if they are available. For some old shows where BT are hard to find, I will buy bootlegs. Most (I should say all) bootlegs are from HK/China, the heaven for piracy of copyrighted stuffs (in addition to anime, also music, computer software, movie, games, etc). Btw, Hong Kong is my hometown (now I'm in the United States).

The reason why bootlegs have english subtitles is because the HK market is not big enough for the piracy industry, thus a large chunk of the market consist of overseas (predominately the US). And as far as I know, some Japanese people also buy HK bootlegs since Japanese anime DVD are insanely expensive (over 6000 yen per disc, around US$60 for a single 4-eps DVD).

The majority of concerns from US buyers are not the legal issues, but the quality of the subs. Since I speak Chinese as my first language myself, I always watch Chinese subtitles on these bootlegs. I never tried the English subtitles on these bootlegs so I would not judge on them, but most of the time the Chinese subs are good in my opinion. My best guess for the poor English sub quality is that they are second hand translation, which means they are not done by people who speaks English as their first language. I'm sure whoever did the sub have a good understanding of Japanese, but their English skills are questionable. As a result, most English subtitles in bootlegs are crappy.

As for why bootlegs exist in the first place? Well, we should have learned the answer from a microeconomics textbook; there won't be anyone supplying bootlegs if no one demands them. There is a reason why people want to buy bootlegs: Many of the anime viewers are young people or students who only have a limited disposable income (sadly), if one could buy a favorite series for less than half the price of a legitimate release, that person will probably opt for the lowest price available, that's simple and normal consumer behavior, no? Not to mention that bootlegs are faster to come by than R1 DVD. For instance, Mobile Suit Victory Gundam and Turn A Gundam will not be available in the United States in the near future, the only source for US viewers to see them is through bootlegs, this is sad but true. I got the bootlegs for these two titles many years ago even before I saw their fansubs on BT.

I for one do not condone bootlegs, but I did download most of my anime through BT. Since it is even cheaper than bootlegs and is the lesser of two evils.

dardel-kun
2004-08-05, 17:16
Hi I have a question, I search the internet for certain anime dvd's and i find a good web site http://www.-----.com but after i read this article i am not longer certain that this web site offers true anime dvd's or bootlegs, can I ask for your help please?

ShinDragon
2004-08-05, 17:27
Hi I have a question, I search the internet for certain anime dvd's and i find a good web site http://www.-----.com but after i read this article i am not longer certain that this web site offers true anime dvd's or bootlegs, can I ask for your help please?

They have both.....

dardel-kun
2004-08-05, 18:16
They have both.....

In this case could you please look all the one piece dvd's if they are bootlegs? i was looking fot the tv series and the movies. Also saint seiya tv, asgard, poseidon, hades ova and movies...

GHDpro
2004-08-05, 18:39
I'd say:
"Domestic" section = legal, but can probably be bought cheaper elsewhere
"Import" section =most if not al bootlegs

Remember: if the price is unlikely (average price per episode is at least $3-5 per episode,
anything less is a likely bootleg) and the One Piece boxset I checked had English AND Chinese subs,
which is another very good indicator.

FYI, One Piece is licensed in the US, but *nothing* has been released on DVD *yet*.

This site btw even seems to have stolen Amazon images...

dardel-kun
2004-08-06, 08:21
Other question, what can I get if I bought a bootleg anime dvd? less quality, bad subtitling or what?

zalas
2004-08-06, 09:37
Other question, what can I get if I bought a bootleg anime dvd? less quality, bad subtitling or what?
Generally worse quality in video, translation and an overall feeling that you helped some criminals rip off anime creators.

dardel-kun
2004-08-06, 17:13
So if bootlegs are illegal, why don't the authorities do something to prevent the sell of this copies?
I really really want to buy the saint seiya series, but i cannot find all the series. I don't mind if will be in japanese only without subtitles. Could anyone please help me?

microlith
2004-08-07, 00:27
Saint Seiya is available with English subs from ADV to import if you wish.

And yes, they're trying. Bandai's already fired their guns at several groups selling bootlegs, they're probably aiming for more. But there's so many they may have to call in US customs and others to crack down on it.

Anyway, rightstuf and several other retailers of R1 dvds ship internationally for not-unreasonable prices. Saint Seiya 1-8 are out now and 9 is going to be released fairly soon.

dardel-kun
2004-08-07, 16:29
One more help please (i know that i am too...) in this page http://www.yesasia.com htah you mention as a good to buy I found the One Piece (Part 1) (Vol.1-30) (To Be Continued) (China Version) 6dvd for 20.99 USD, 6DVDs, japanese dub, english and simplified chinese subs, is this an official dvd release???

xris
2004-08-07, 17:09
One more help please (i know that i am too...) in this page http://www.yesasia.com htah you mention as a good to buy I found the One Piece (Part 1) (Vol.1-30) (To Be Continued) (China Version) 6dvd for 20.99 USD, 6DVDs, japanese dub, english and simplified chinese subs, is this an official dvd release???
I don't mean to be rude but please oh please have a read of this thread. If it's to long for you then just use the "search" feature (there's even a "search this thread" option that you can use). If you enter "One Piece" into the "search this thread" you will find this post (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=270270), which is a response to the exact question you asked.

Alternately, please read the very first post of this thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=107) and look at the hints there!
Spot check on how to tell if a DVD is a bootleg or not
Region 0
6+ episodes per DVD
Low Cost (under $4 per episode)
Comparing this against the entry for YesAsia, we have
Region Code: Region = All (i.e. it's Region 0)
Subtitle: English , Simplified Chinese
Other Information: 6DVDs for 30 episodes
Price: $20.99 for 30 episodes

Now, doesn't the above give you just a tiny, little hint that it is indeed a bootleg.

sOnJoOL
2004-08-14, 22:33
i have a question. but it may have been answered before, so if it was sorry.

but what about the places with both domestic and "import"? and lets say that if there is a domestic version, they dont stock the "import" version.
what would that be?

and i saw at some site a domestic version of a series with 26 episode, but its listed as 64 dollars. and it says the publisher is adv films.
can i believe it? o and btw the series is Excel Saga

microlith
2004-08-15, 02:04
In most cases, sites that stock both domestic and "imports" are carrying bootlegs as imports. Sites that sell legit R2 dvds generally sell only that (and there arent many that do.)

And yes, the Excel Saga boxed set can be found for $65 or so at most places. ADV released it for a suprisingly low price, kinda annoying after having paid more for each individual disc.

acidmix
2004-08-15, 07:16
I bought this Korean Drama tv series called: "The Successful Story Of A Bright Girl" I bought it off of ebay thinking that it was a legit retail box set. After doing a little research I think my boxset is a bootleg and I paid twice the price of the original legit box set. I thought I might make thread on this forum and see if there was someone who could give me a better idea of wether or not its a bootleg. Here is the link to the ebay auction that I got my box set from:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6315910348&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

And here is the link to what I think is the legit retail version:
http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1003223470/did-0/code-c/section-videos/

sOnJoOL
2004-08-16, 01:01
I bought this Korean Drama tv series called: "The Successful Story Of A Bright Girl" I bought it off of ebay thinking that it was a legit retail box set. After doing a little research I think my boxset is a bootleg and I paid twice the price of the original legit box set. I thought I might make thread on this forum and see if there was someone who could give me a better idea of wether or not its a bootleg. Here is the link to the ebay auction that I got my box set from:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6315910348&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

And here is the link to what I think is the legit retail version:
http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1003223470/did-0/code-c/section-videos/

i dont think the second one is legit either.
actually im sure its not legit.
it has chinese subs and is All region
If ur talking about legit korean version, it should be region 3
and it shouldnt have "Chinese" subtitles.

Yebyosh
2004-08-16, 01:22
i dont think the second one is legit either.
actually im sure its not legit.
it has chinese subs and is All region
If ur talking about legit korean version, it should be region 3
and it shouldnt have "Chinese" subtitles. No.. China, Hong Kong and Taiwan are R3 and they would have Chinese subtitles for a Korean DVD if it was produced for their countries.

What acidmix asked was for a Korean drama series. We do not know the situation enough for this but as far as I know. There are several legitimate (and many bootlegging) companies translating Korean and Japanese drama series for the Chinese market.

As far as I know however, typically the legitimate companies for these drama series have only original language and/or local language dubbed audio tracks and only Chinese subtitles on their DVD productions.

Unfortunately for these series, most of the bootleggers also follow exactly what the legititimate companies does, as they also recognise the fact that the majority of their consumers are Chinese. As such, for drama series, the quagmire of differentiating legititimate drama series is far more deeper and muckier than for anime series.

acidmix
2004-08-16, 05:00
No.. China, Hong Kong and Taiwan are R3 and they would have Chinese subtitles for a Korean DVD if it was produced for their countries.

What acidmix asked was for a Korean drama series. We do not know the situation enough for this but as far as I know. There are several legitimate (and many bootlegging) companies translating Korean and Japanese drama series for the Chinese market.

As far as I know however, typically the legitimate companies for these drama series have only original language and/or local language dubbed audio tracks and only Chinese subtitles on their DVD productions.

Unfortunately for these series, most of the bootleggers also follow exactly what the legititimate companies does, as they also recognise the fact that the majority of their consumers are Chinese. As such, for drama series, the quagmire of differentiating legititimate drama series is far more deeper and muckier than for anime series.

Thanks for the info anyway. :)

ShadowX114
2004-08-19, 02:51
My friend bought the DVD of Captain Tsubasa Road to 2002 and he lend it to me days ago. While I was watching it, I was so surprised by the subbing. It was extremely awful. I'm not talking about minors mistakes. They are so HUGE. Also, sometimes, the texts don’t follow what the characters are saying. Here's some example that I took from the video:

1- Someone was saying this: Tsubasa play until with wound should (He meant: Tsubasa will play when his wound is cured. or Tsuaba won't play until his wound will cure)
2- Tidy up and go back to Japanese (Tied up and go back to Japan)
3- Do you still train with us? (Do you still want to train with me?)
4- I blocked only one ball, don't too be pride. (You only blocked one ball, don't be too pride)
5- Space Tsubasa (Ozora Tsubasa. Ozora Tsubasa is his name , why change it to space tsubasa?)
6- I always talk your thing to them (I say many things about you)
7- Why can't Tsubasa can't come with us (Why can't Tsubasa come with us?)

Did you see all those mistakes? It looks like a 10years old child subbing the anime.

There are also missing letters , such as:
1- I will shot instead of (I will shoot)
2- hyu instead of (hyuga)

Verbs in present instead of past (you come instead of you came) this happened twice.
They talk and talk but all i can read is "he will come back, We succeed (he meant: When he will come back, we will win) (See, i have to fuse those 2 phrases to one sentance to understand what they said.)
goal and keeps score. (He only said goal and keeps score by all that talking?? Wait a minute, what do u mean by goal and keeps score in the first place?!)

Sometimes, when I read the subs, I have to wonder what he meant because the subbing is so bad. Also, like I said above, sometimes they talk too much but all i can read is one word, then it disappears then another one appears, then it disappears and so on. So I just dont know what they said. I tried to change the sub language, I put it in french but even the sub french is bad.

Could it be a bootleg instead of a real DVD? My friend payed 70$ CAN for it (approx. 53$ US)

rman0099
2004-08-19, 16:23
No, they are real. They just suck....LOL. The same thing happened to me when I bought a set of Star Ocean EX DVDs from ebay a couple of years ago. I got the who series but the subbing was behind at times and of poor english. What we both got was an asian dvd that came out before an offical english release. Mine is done by a company called Anime Studio Inc out of Hong Kong. There are 2 subs: chinese and english. There are actually a bunch of sites that sell english subbed DVDs of series manufactured by asian companies. These DVDs are a fraction of the cost of official US releases. Most of the time a full 26 ep series will run about 65-90 USD in boxed set form as opposed to the 100+ for the official licensed variety. But as you can attest, you get what you pay for in subtitle quality (due to the fact that you have chinese people translating to english).

Yebyosh
2004-08-19, 20:54
No, they are real. They just suck....LOL. The same thing happened to me when I bought a set of Star Ocean EX DVDs from ebay a couple of years ago. I got the who series but the subbing was behind at times and of poor english. What we both got was an asian dvd that came out before an offical english release. Mine is done by a company called Anime Studio Inc out of Hong Kong. There are 2 subs: chinese and english. There are actually a bunch of sites that sell english subbed DVDs of series manufactured by asian companies. These DVDs are a fraction of the cost of official US releases. Most of the time a full 26 ep series will run about 65-90 USD in boxed set form as opposed to the 100+ for the official licensed variety. But as you can attest, you get what you pay for in subtitle quality (due to the fact that you have chinese people translating to english). No, you've bought bootlegs as well and seem to not know it.

Anime Studio Inc is a proven bootleg company. It does not license animes from the original companies.

Here's a link with a list of bootleggers who have the audacity to call themselves a 'legal company' (incomplete unfortunately due to the pervasive ever changing scenes of bootlegging)
http://members.austarmetro.com.au/~mwhitley/guide2.htm (http://members.austarmetro.com.au/%7Emwhitley/guide2.htm)

rman0099
2004-08-20, 11:21
Well I have to say that the bootleggers put out some effort to make themselves appear legit. The DVD case and DVDs themselves are professional, as if done by a real company. I just always thought it was a chinese version that did an english translatsion to go along with their chinese. I always meant to get Soldats version as a better translated version but I guess I lost that chance with the licensing :upset:

Melazoma
2004-08-20, 13:54
Well I have to say that the bootleggers put out some effort to make themselves appear legit. The DVD case and DVDs themselves are professional, as if done by a real company. I just always thought it was a chinese version that did an english translatsion to go along with their chinese. I always meant to get Soldats version as a better translated version but I guess I lost that chance with the licensing :upset:I'm sorry you got ripped-off by a no-good bootlegger. Why not get the official release of Star Ocean EX? Geneon USA is putting the first DVD of this series out with a January 4, 2005 release date after the recent Otakon announcement. That's pretty fast all things considered(though even faster is Media Blaster's Shura no Toki release in November). If you know were to shop and use discounts properly, even the notoriously expensive Geneon DVDs can come out to be about $18-$20 USD each.

rman0099
2004-08-20, 15:17
I'm sorry you got ripped-off by a no-good bootlegger.

Actually I don't feel as if I was ripped off. I have had the DVDs for 2 years and had the chance to see them before I found out about a lot of fansubbed anime. I got it cheap and was happy at the time :D But alas, I can't afford to buy an entire series on DVD, I'm just a broke college guy :sad:

chimuikuzeru
2004-09-25, 16:21
what is up with this site? i ordered the boxset of ayashi no ceres from them.
but they end up sending me a d*mn fansub bootleg, a VERY good bootleg, but a bootleg nontheless. has anyone ordered from them before? or is this just my mistake not knowing they distrubute anime bootlegs? i emailed them asking whats up, but still no response.

Mr_Paper
2004-09-25, 16:38
what is up with this site? i ordered the boxset of ayashi no ceres from them.
but they end up sending me a d*mn fansub bootleg, a VERY good bootleg, but a bootleg nontheless. has anyone ordered from them before? or is this just my mistake not knowing they distrubute anime bootlegs? i emailed them asking whats up, but still no response.You got ripped off because their 'import' DVDs are all bootlegs and it appears many of their Domestic DVDs are as well...

Next time buy from someone reputable like deepdiscountdvd.com

srb
2004-09-25, 16:42
You should have checked the details. If it's region zero and has chinese/english subtitles for example then it's definitely a bootleg.

chimuikuzeru
2004-09-25, 17:17
ahhh i see...crap!i thought it would be okay because i have an original of the initial d boxset, as well as most my other japanese movies and such and they have english subtitles. does anyone know where i can get an original import of the ayashi no ceres series though?

Mr_Paper
2004-09-25, 17:27
ahhh i see...crap!i thought it would be okay because i have an original of the initial d boxset, as well as most my other japanese movies and such and they have english subtitles. does anyone know where i can get an original import of the ayashi no ceres series though?Imported region two series rarely, if ever, have subtitles.

Buy the DVD versions Viz has released, they have dual audio and subtitles.

chimuikuzeru
2004-09-25, 18:22
Imported region two series rarely, if ever, have subtitles.

Buy the DVD versions Viz has released, they have dual audio and subtitles.

i'm also looking for the cardcaptor sakura and kare kano boxset for my girlfriend. are there any reputable online sites to purchase this?? most sites have it listed
for about $100. thats a huge hell no if its going to just end up being a crappy bootleg.

Mr_Paper
2004-09-25, 18:33
i'm also looking for the cardcaptor sakura and kare kano boxset for my girlfriend. are there any reputable online sites to purchase this?? most sites have it listed
for about $100. thats a huge hell no if its going to just end up being a crappy bootleg.I dont know about a boxset for CardCaptor Sakura but deepdiscountdvd has all the dvds for it and the Kare Kano boxset.

Riese
2004-09-27, 13:56
The best way to avoid the bootleg burn is to keep tabs on legitimate markets.
Check and see if the anime you want has a legit release currently available.
http://animeondvd.com/ is a great place to start.

I try and buy 2nd hand R1 or R2 disks to save a buck and I know that Amazon Associates and many other 2nd hand selling areas are swamped with bootlegs.
Some will show you photos off an R1 company's site but then state later that it's R0 with 3 disks for the whole series.

ADV is putting out a very reasonably priced batch of DVD sets called The Essential Anime Collection.

Raptoot
2004-10-03, 10:00
not sure if anyone's already asked this but anyway...

i'm seriously considering getting the Naruto series 1-3 box set
but i was wondering if anyone knew of any websites where i can get a good price (other than bidding sites like ebay)

keeping in mind that it needs to be either based in, or able to deliver to UK

any input is greatl appreciated
thx :) x3

xris
2004-10-03, 10:17
i'm seriously considering getting the Naruto series 1-3 box set
You don't give any details but I can safely say that these will be illegal bootlegs. Have a read of the first post of this thread on how to spot such items.

Sailor Enlil
2004-10-06, 08:33
This is an interesting thread, and I'm sure most anime fans had experience on bootlegs, now let me share my thoughts:

Generally, I avoid bootlegs as often as possible. Even though they are cheap, they still cost money to buy. If I can find BT of my favorite animes, I won't hesitate to download them and will never buy any DVD (both bootleg and legit) even if they are available. For some old shows where BT are hard to find, I will buy bootlegs. Most (I should say all) bootlegs are from HK/China, the heaven for piracy of copyrighted stuffs (in addition to anime, also music, computer software, movie, games, etc). Btw, Hong Kong is my hometown (now I'm in the United States).

The reason why bootlegs have english subtitles is because the HK market is not big enough for the piracy industry, thus a large chunk of the market consist of overseas (predominately the US). And as far as I know, some Japanese people also buy HK bootlegs since Japanese anime DVD are insanely expensive (over 6000 yen per disc, around US$60 for a single 4-eps DVD).

The majority of concerns from US buyers are not the legal issues, but the quality of the subs. Since I speak Chinese as my first language myself, I always watch Chinese subtitles on these bootlegs. I never tried the English subtitles on these bootlegs so I would not judge on them, but most of the time the Chinese subs are good in my opinion. My best guess for the poor English sub quality is that they are second hand translation, which means they are not done by people who speaks English as their first language. I'm sure whoever did the sub have a good understanding of Japanese, but their English skills are questionable. As a result, most English subtitles in bootlegs are crappy.

As for why bootlegs exist in the first place? Well, we should have learned the answer from a microeconomics textbook; there won't be anyone supplying bootlegs if no one demands them. There is a reason why people want to buy bootlegs: Many of the anime viewers are young people or students who only have a limited disposable income (sadly), if one could buy a favorite series for less than half the price of a legitimate release, that person will probably opt for the lowest price available, that's simple and normal consumer behavior, no? Not to mention that bootlegs are faster to come by than R1 DVD. For instance, Mobile Suit Victory Gundam and Turn A Gundam will not be available in the United States in the near future, the only source for US viewers to see them is through bootlegs, this is sad but true. I got the bootlegs for these two titles many years ago even before I saw their fansubs on BT.

I for one do not condone bootlegs, but I did download most of my anime through BT. Since it is even cheaper than bootlegs and is the lesser of two evils.
Greetings from a newcomer. I found this thread really interesting and wish to give a few 2c's.

Bohemian gave a few good points on why bootlegging is going on. But I'd like to mention more pressing reasons on why it's even happening. I live in the Philippines (part of South East Asia, so it's R3), and sadly it's a hotspot for piracy and bootlegging (thanks to close proximity to Hong Kong and Taiwan, a mere hour's flight away), so much that bootlegs of DVD's can be found in any stall setup almost anywhere (as in you can buy them off the shelf), including Shopping Malls. And anime bootlegs are no exception; in fact it's a lucrative business here with a few stores that specifically sell these DVD anime bootlegs (the biggest amomg them is a store chain called Comic Alley with branches in several major Shopping Malls). The really pressing reasons I posted on another forum (that of a Love Hina fansite) with a similar discussion (this was about the issue of purchasing Love Hina DVDs), copied here with a few edits:

Unfortunately there's going to be a serious problem with that. The Love Hina anime is NOT AVAILABLE AT ALL IN REGION 3 DVD with English Audio (i.e. for South East Asia, includes Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, South Korea, Malaysia, Thailand, and Indonesia). Importing US or Japanese DVD's is going to have major technical (and possibly legal) issues, since Philippine DVD players obviously won't play Region 1 or 2 DVDs (with the exception of those multiregion players you can buy from the black market, or on PC's with DVD-ROM drives that have their firmware flashed to get past the region lock), plus the MPAA is trying to make it such that importing Region coded DVDs from one region to another would be illegal and impossible (kinda like the modchip situation with game consoles, and have you heard about the report that The Patriot R1 movie DVD not being playable in multiregion players?). And there's also the issue of Shipping Charges as a result of importing titles. Once I ordered an imported music CD from Japan online, and ended up paying 4x the actual price of it due to the shipping charges (are you willing to pay $67.00 for 1 music CD album? I made that exception because that CD was a rare one, but I'm certainly not pulling that stunt again due to budget issues).

In fact as of date the only English dubbed anime available in Region 3 DVD's here in the Philippines are Metropolis and Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (courtesy of Sony Pictures, who have a local branch in the Philippines). A few other titles like Rayearth and Ghost in the Shell are only available in VCD. All other titles (eg Marmalade Boy, Kanon, and even Love Hina itself) can only be smuggled here if anyone here wants to watch them.

When someone suggested importing DVD titles from the US to make legit purchases, this is my response (with some edits):

Well, for those who have the money and means to import them from the US (eg online purchase, or having relatives living there), as well as equipment capable of playing them (i.e. multiregion DVD players or flashed DVD-ROM drives), that's only a short term solution. Until publishers officially license distribution in Regions 3-6, piracy of anime DVD's will simply continue unabated in these regions (sales of these Taiwanese bootlegs are like hotcakes in the Philippines and are available in shopping malls everyhere).

Much as I'm against piracy, Anime companies will have to really flex their muscles and go way out if they really want to bring this bootlegging phenomenon to a full stop, particularly in South East Asia (will they have branches in SE Asia like for instance Sony Pictures does in the Philippines?). Well, the bittorrent way of getting them is one alternative for the few who know about it - Bittorrent is not that known here (I'm one of the few who uses it and downloaded a number of fansubs), the Internet Broadband market is still small, and most PC owners here have plain vanilla Windows Installations without those required codecs like DiVX, 3Vix, etc, and can only play MPEG1 and standard AVI videos on their PC's, aside from DVD's if they have a DVD-ROM drive.

Oh and there's also this concern - bootlegs of US Release Anime titles (i.e. they have English Audio as well as Japanese Audio, English Subtitles only, which are of course the ones done by the US anime firm, no Chinese subs on most of them, and English menus, some having really sophisticated ones like animations), and like the traditinal bootlegs, they are R0, and in some cases fit up to 8 episodes in one DVD utilizing the DVD's dual-layering feature for double the capacity - you can tell it is when it's marked D9 or DVD9 on the box.
http://phalanx99.homestead.com/files/anime/dvdlabel1.jpg
Notice it says D9x4, meaning Dual-layer DVDs, the secret to squeezing more than 4 episodes into 1 disc without loss in quality, and there's 4 of them in the package)
They're a growing lot of this stuff in the Philippines (available in the same local stores mentioned above), and available titles include Love Hina (TV Eps 1-24 + XMas Special and Spring Special, in 3 DVDs), Vision of Escaflowne (all TV eps in 3 DVDs), Martian Successor Nadesico TV (same), Please Teacher (all TV eps in 2 DVDs + OVA and creditless OPs and EDs), Full Metal Panic (the first anime season, all 24 eps in 3 DVDs + character drawings, creditless ED, and the highly sophisticated menu), Sailor Moon S Season (entire season in 4 DVDs), the 3 Sailor Moon Movies (sold in one package and includes extras like character profiles), Dual Parallel Trouble Adventures (all eps in 2 DVDs), His and Her Circumstances (all eps in 3 DVDs), and Ai Yori Aoshi 1st season (all eps in 3 DVDs). And it seems there's more coming in without any sign of abate (just FYI: I happen to have the Love Hina bootleg mentioned above, as well as the legit R1 Love Hina Xmas Special, Spring Special and OAVs, and video quality wise, the bootleg and the legits are virtually indistinguishable).

http://phalanx99.homestead.com/files/anime/fmpmen01.jpg http://phalanx99.homestead.com/files/anime/fmpmen02.jpg
Notice that one disc has 8 episodes and 3 audio track selections available