Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

poisui
2012-11-23, 15:51
http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r575/poisui/anime_manga/image040.jpg

Name: Shokugeki no Soma
Alternative Name: 食戟のソーマ; Sokugeki no Souma
Author: Tsukuda Yuuto
Artist: Saeki Shun

Shokugeki no Soma is one of Weekly Jump's newest additions, along with Hungry Joker (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=116100) and Shinmai Fukei Kiruko-san (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=116388).

Shokugeki no Soma is a cooking manga. Like many food-related mangas, this one involves a lot of "food reactions."

The story revolves around Yukihira Souma, who is the son of a great cook. The story starts off with an urban life planner wanting to buy the Yukihira Restaurant. Will Souma be able to drive the urban life planner and her thugs away with his cooking?

Warning: This series involves a lot of ecchiness.

If you are unfamiliar with what food reactions are, check out Yakitate Japan (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=220).

Chapter 1:
http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r575/poisui/anime_manga/image045.jpg

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r575/poisui/anime_manga/image046.jpg

And yes, this is a Weekly Jump series.

Insane
2012-11-23, 22:04
So, it's basically ecchi version of Yakitate? Quite interesting, hopefully it's gonna involving various kinds of gourmets, not just limited to breads.

aohige
2012-11-25, 06:53
Well, it's sorta like Curry naru Shokutaku, a seinen manga about curry but with full of erotic shots.

The base story in Soma is very shounen manga like.
Also the manga artist went by the name "tosh" and published adult oriented manga before this.

poisui
2012-11-29, 15:58
Chapter 2:

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r575/poisui/anime_manga/258.jpg
I hope Nakiri Erina gets a lot of development. She would make a great tsundere character.

Shadow5YA
2012-11-29, 17:47
Drawn by the h-artist Tosh, eh?

NoemiChan
2012-11-29, 18:08
It'll be great it the female tasters will describe the taste, smell and texture of the dishes in a perverted way... LOlss

*Its rough and hard in the outside..ohhh.. the smell.... ahh.. but when put it your mouth is soft and addicting.. ahhh.... the juices are playing in my mouth.. ahhh oishi!!!!

Bonta Kun
2012-11-30, 20:52
Read the first chapter and it gets a
http://i.imgur.com/txSkG.png
from me!:D

I know some people are probably gonna say something about some parts but honestly I can enjoy humor that even involves naked men:heh:

Looking forward to next chapter and our ojou-sama, she looks delicious!:p

Hopefully this doesn't follow the norm of these types of stories, like where he challenges someone to a cooking battle off the bat and is beaten and then has to struggle for some time before making his name.
Or could be the misunderstanding beginning, where he's caught up in some huge misunderstanding which more than likely leads to a cooking battle which he either gets beat and struggles or wins but still ends up having to struggling with others afterwards.
Well I think whatever they decide to throw at us I won't really mind anyway, as it's drawn by TOSH!!!:love::bow:

Xion Valkyrie
2012-12-01, 04:29
Seems like all the reactions are just censored H scenes.

I think I'll check out the artist's older works...:D

Kleeyook
2012-12-01, 06:22
Well, it's on weekly JUMP shounen. So there's a chance it might get axed if it didn't do well enough compared to the mainstream manga published in that mag. :(

Most cooking manga have a tendency to be ridiculously too long but I'd be sad if this one were to get axed within just 20 chapters. :(

ragez2010
2012-12-01, 09:54
maybe this manga can replace Addicted to Curry in Young Jump? it's going to end in 3 chapter right.

Kleeyook
2012-12-01, 10:16
maybe this manga can replace Addicted to Curry in Young Jump? it's going to end in 3 chapter right.

Well, it better does. I really hope so! Addicted to Curry is very long and it's damn time for a new kind of cooking manga to replace it.

I'm not sure if this one will stay as long as Yakitake Japan! though. This manga has too much ecchi imo. We need more creative parody and pun that don't rely too much of ecchi contents. Maybe add a butt-monkey sidekick.

blade82
2012-12-01, 17:30
there is another manga about food "hell's kitchen" and its really good its written by a true chef

Vladrave
2012-12-01, 23:06
This manga looks interesting. I hope it will stay good until the end and i want moar!!
I've had enough of shonen mangas that i'm anticipating then get cancelled in the end....

aohige
2012-12-02, 10:18
^Well, to be fair, 2012 has been a very good year for new Jump manga.
They managed to get a mega-hit with AC, and HQ and Saiki quickly rose to be steady hits.

Having 10 or so canceled series is normal for Weekly Shounen Jump, it's always been that way for decades.
That being said, I hope Soma does well. It's a fun read, and I actually was sad when the 2nd chapter ended in a cliffhanger, because I wanted to see the inevitable reaction. :heh:

Kleeyook
2012-12-02, 16:24
^^ I know what Saiki is. It's an awesome and hilarious manga. I don't recognize about what AC and HQ are though. You shouldn't just use abbreviation on everything. :(

Man, JUMP is good for getting their manga popular and well-known fast but it's high risk to lose the series within a few dozens chapters. Considering that cooking manga is usually very long with many chapters planed ahead and detailed research, it'd be a huge waste to get caned like most unfortunate series. :(

Vladrave
2012-12-02, 16:41
Having 10 or so canceled series is normal for Weekly Shounen Jump, it's always been that way for decades.

I know that for the most part. Thank god for bakuman.

^
It's a fun read, and I actually was sad when the 2nd chapter ended in a cliffhanger, because I wanted to see the inevitable reaction. :heh:

Is the 2nd chapter translated yet?

Zakoo
2012-12-02, 18:32
I have to admit, that was terribly funny.

Especially the part with the beef, god japan, too much imagination for me.

Shadow5YA
2012-12-02, 19:57
Knowing who the artist is makes this too funny. Did that businesswoman have an orgasm eating Souma's cooking?

Sarun
2012-12-02, 21:34
Yes, she did.

Anyone saw the spoilers.

Claies
2012-12-03, 01:59
^^ I know what Saiki is. It's an awesome and hilarious manga. I don't recognize about what AC and HQ are though. You shouldn't just use abbreviation on everything. :(

Man, JUMP is good for getting their manga popular and well-known fast but it's high risk to lose the series within a few dozens chapters. Considering that cooking manga is usually very long with many chapters planed ahead and detailed research, it'd be a huge waste to get caned like most unfortunate series. :(

He's referring to Assassination Classroom and Haikyu!!. The former bucked the trends of what makes a shonen manga, I think, which is exciting.

I'm not sure how I feel about this series. I really like food manga and I want something with such good art to do well, but this level of ecchi really shouldn't be in Jump.

Most cooking manga have a tendency to be ridiculously too long but I'd be sad if this one were to get axed within just 20 chapters. :(

At least, unlike Addicted to Curry and Yakitate Japan, this manga won't pigeonhole itself to a certain set of dishes. There's only so much to talk about when it comes to just one kind of food. Plus, this series seems to emphasize uncommon transformations instead of just doing something right like how Addicted to Curry is about the MC bringing up foreign curries to a Japanese diner, so it shouldn't run out of things to do too soon.

Xion Valkyrie
2012-12-06, 02:46
At least, unlike Addicted to Curry and Yakitate Japan, this manga won't pigeonhole itself to a certain set of dishes. There's only so much to talk about when it comes to just one kind of food. Plus, this series seems to emphasize uncommon transformations instead of just doing something right like how Addicted to Curry is about the MC bringing up foreign curries to a Japanese diner, so it shouldn't run out of things to do too soon.

Yeah, Yakitate Japan got ludicrous at the Monaco arc. Hopefully the reactions just stay within the ecchi realm and not get too reality bending.

Anyways, chapter 3's hot spring reaction was glorious.

ragez2010
2012-12-06, 03:09
so the question is, can Tosh keep up with Jump, seeing chapter 1 and 2 deliver with quality art
i hope the quality would not drop anytime soon.

Vladrave
2012-12-06, 03:21
lol i like chapter 2 and erina seems more than a spoiled chick.
Another week of waiting for chapter 3....

aohige
2012-12-06, 04:39
so the question is, can Tosh keep up with Jump, seeing chapter 1 and 2 deliver with quality art
i hope the quality would not drop anytime soon.

At this point, I'm more worried about the writer. :heh:
tosh's superb artwork is carrying the series' weight quite a bit so far.

Mizuno
2012-12-06, 06:47
I think chapter 2 was a good improvement over the 1st chapter, can it go two straight chapters without ecchi? I kind of doubt it. :D

poisui
2012-12-06, 06:49
Chapter 3: Best reaction yet.

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r575/poisui/anime_manga/246.jpg

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r575/poisui/anime_manga/247.jpg
Even though Yukihira Souma's cooking gave Nakiri Erina such a heavenly reaction, because Nakiri is such a tsundere, she tells him that his cooking tastes terrible.

The number of people who passed the exam is... zero. What will happen to Yukihira Souma now?

Vladrave
2012-12-06, 07:05
Damn. She's beautiful and all but she's a bitch.

kenjtr
2012-12-06, 08:20
I actually liked that souma didnt accepted to that school since that would have discard the other girl who seems to the regular costumer and main heroine , now i expect souma open his little shop with that girl and start from zero and grow big little by little . Going to a school is so booring it not like this is a shoujo manga .

Kirihara_R
2012-12-07, 10:25
haha this cooking manga is funny ... interesting

poisui
2012-12-13, 09:27
Chapter 4:

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r575/poisui/anime_manga/5C115E7430B830E330F330D70353F7-139.jpg
The Toutsuki Academy opening ceremony takes place!

Will the school year pass by without the main character?

Of course not! He interrupts the ceremony with his grand entrance!

(I really like Yukihira Souma's character. I have high hopes for this series!)

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r575/poisui/anime_manga/5C115E7430B830E330F330D70353F7-151.jpg
More importantly, Nakiri Erina's tsundere expression is too cute!!!!!!!

aohige
2012-12-13, 14:55
^

Chapter 4 was all about the badassery of her granddaddy, and the Luffy-ness of Soma.

Dude practically pissed off the entire school and doesn't give two-shits about it. Awesome.

I never expected this manga to become this fun!! And totally agree, Soma is a complete badass.

Vladrave
2012-12-13, 18:34
Oh shit! This manga is really worth looking forward to!
I need chapter 4 now!

Erina is probably one of the best tsunderes out there lol

Freeter
2012-12-13, 21:59
I can already see this becoming an anime.

Please Japan, don't let this one get cancelled. We need more awesome MCs like Soma.

Bonta Kun
2012-12-13, 22:03
Erina is probably one of the best tsunderes out there lol

I personally would have thought it early days for saying such a thing but I find myself agreeing after reading chapter 3, she's quite charming I'd have to say:D

The ending was pretty amusing, he got to Erina but she still denies him entrance and he's left dumbfounded.
Now whats he gonna do to get into school, looking forward to seeing whats to come.

Claies
2012-12-13, 22:30
^

Chapter 4 was all about the badassery of her granddaddy, and the Luffy-ness of Soma.

Dude practically pissed off the entire school and doesn't give two-shits about it. Awesome.

I never expected this manga to become this fun!! And totally agree, Soma is a complete badass.

Yup, smartass MCs are always good to have in manga. I'd take them over morons with hearts of gold any day.

I'm very glad the grandfather principal isn't totally scary/evil/manipulative like all the "I built my empire AND this school" kinds are. I got a very good impression from the way he understands his granddaughter.

I'm not sure how I feel about the new girl. I know I had only one page to go on, but I hate crybaby types.

Bonta Kun
2012-12-17, 01:15
Pardon my french but F*** YEAH, Souma was just Fing brilliant!:D:bow:

Some glorious words and hopefully backed by some glorious moments to come!

And also I'm with Claies here, really not sure on new girl. Sure couple of pages doesn't say much but atm can't say outlook looks good for her but that can change.

Mars Mode
2012-12-17, 02:34
Now that was brilliant, magnificent, remarkable. Im liking this guy and this manga.

He was outstanding:hyper-^v^:

Vladrave
2012-12-17, 03:08
^Pretty much this. Soma is just outstanding and i can't wait for him to beat those rich pansies :D

bloodyclaws
2012-12-17, 03:13
just wow.. for a cooking manga, the art is just phenomenal. It really does give it that extra "omph" just like onepunch man.

The MC is completely badass. Such a treat. I cant wait to see what new dishes he comes up with and when he'll melt that tsundere :D. Manga followed for sure.

Terrestrial Dream
2012-12-17, 03:36
His artwork looked very familiar so I had to check his older work, and it explains reactions.

This manga is enjoyable for now and has great potential, but I hope what happened to Yakitate does not happen in this manga.

Shadow5YA
2012-12-17, 05:36
What, no foodgasm from Erina's grandfather?

Looks like you still have further to go, Souma!

Nightengale
2012-12-17, 06:42
It's going to be ridiculously cliche, but I'm kinda anticipating the chapter when more bombs are dropped on the calibre of Souma's dad.

I'm also glad that the story isn't going to shy away from a more serious romance subplot, given that there are... many occasions where romantic elements in non-romcom stories stalk themselves to a crawl...

At least I hope so, based on the allusion from Daddy Souma.

Iron Maw
2012-12-17, 09:10
"Food Mafia"? :heh:

Now I think have heard of everything. Souma's father is also simultaneously one of the greatest and worse dads ever. Giving a knife to three year-old? Seriously?! :twitch::heh:

I also agree with general sentiment toward this series. It's been awhile since I have enjoyed a Jump manga like this (or at least since Nurarihyon no Mago anyway.) Here's to hoping that doesn't catch Jump's epidemic cancellation disease.

aohige
2012-12-18, 00:54
I'm also glad that the story isn't going to shy away from a more serious romance subplot, given that there are... many occasions where romantic elements in non-romcom stories stalk themselves to a crawl...

I'm guessing you mean "stall themselves to a crawl", as stalking romance sound frightening. :heh:

Claies
2012-12-18, 05:15
Now I think have heard of everything. Souma's father is also simultaneously one of the greatest and worse dads ever. Giving a knife to three year-old? Seriously?! :twitch::heh:

Who said his father did it? :heh:

With that said, explain the mother's disappearance. :D

Vladrave
2012-12-18, 06:02
Death probably?

Azuma Denton
2012-12-18, 22:46
Food mafia??
Now that is a badass job Erina father's got there...

And there is a new character...
A timid girl. Can't wait to see what this girl can do... :heh:

Claies
2012-12-20, 05:13
Chapter 5:

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r575/poisui/anime_manga/5C115E7430B830E330F330D704-0554084F7553F7-262_zpsa7713306.jpg
The new character, Tadokou Megumi, is so cute!!!!!

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r575/poisui/anime_manga/5C115E7430B830E330F330D704-0554084F7553F7-271_zps19ca3d10.jpg
Her impression of Yukihira Souma changes after their successful team assignment.

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r575/poisui/anime_manga/5C115E7430B830E330F330D704-0554084F7553F7-278_zpsec6c8fd3.jpg
At the same time, however.... she unknowingly becomes Yukihira's new food-tasting slave.

He tries to feed her Honey Dried-squid; it is only then that Tadokou realizes what kind of dangerous person Yukihira is. Lawl.

Unfortunately, it looks like Nakiri Erina will not be reappearing for a while. :(

Yup, girl's a comically exaggerated crybaby. She's a good foil for a confident Souma, but I hope neither of them are so one-dimensional in the long run.

Vladrave
2012-12-20, 05:30
Well, i'm hoping for a character development for that girl where she became independent or strong in the end and hopefully she will be a girl who will be close to soma and Erina will be jealous of her in the future.

aohige
2012-12-20, 15:25
She's basically the Mr. Watson to Soma's Sherlock Holmes.
In a way I would say she's filling an inevitable role. She's the bottom of her class, mundane character to accompany the genius.
Soma is just waaay too overtalented, though he has a goal to reach his father, the starting line for him is already at the genius level.

Since "growth" will be harder to measure for characters like him, someone starting at the ground level is paired instead to portray growth. Or so we hope.
Remember Neuro and his assistant (and protagonist) Yako? Neuro was the all-mighty character, Yako was the earthling with much larger scale of growth.

Xion Valkyrie
2012-12-20, 15:32
She's basically the Mr. Watson to Soma's Sherlock Holmes.
In a way I would say she's filling an inevitable role. She's the bottom of her class, mundane character to accompany the genius.
Soma is just waaay too overtalented, though he has a goal to reach his father, the starting line for him is already at the genius level.

Since "growth" will be harder to measure for characters like him, someone starting at the ground level is paired instead to portray growth. Or so we hope.
Remember Neuro and his assistant (and protagonist) Yako? Neuro was the all-mighty character, Yako was the earthling with much larger scale of growth.

Let's hope she doesn't end up like Kawachi from Yakitate Japan. Well, being a cute girl already prevents her from ending up as the butt of most jokes, but hopefully she'll end up being a strong character.

Zakoo
2012-12-25, 09:01
Chapter 5 about the usual french cooking.

C'est merveilleuuuuuuuuuux, lmao, how could they do that.

Vladrave
2012-12-25, 09:11
Isn't it a bit rushed?

Nightengale
2012-12-25, 10:22
Isn't it a bit rushed?

Define rushed.

One chapter, dedicated towards introducing and establishing the basic characteristics of one side-character ( 2 if you count the teacher ) is pretty reasonable.

Forsaken_Infinity
2012-12-25, 11:18
God damn this manga's way too funny.

blade82
2012-12-25, 12:57
it'll be long before he can get a rival because he's too skilled for these childrens

Iron Maw
2012-12-26, 19:45
Ch 5: Those reactions.... I don't even know what anymore. :twitch::heh::heh:

Gotta loved how over top the faculty in this school is. Hell the french chef only gives out two grades A and E. No wonder the school has such a high failing rate, this almost a sport to teachers! :heh: Looking forward to whatever weirdos we got coming out next.

Oh and it's nice that he's got a guinea pig now, guess she will be in both heaven and hell if Souma's tastes are anything to go by.

One of things like about this chapter is that it shows he can make bad food and still has much to learn. I don't think that Souma isn't so as much "overtalented" but rather that he has a huge amount of experience and intuition. Remember unlike most people Souma was taught how to cook as soon as he could walk and talk. He was already working the kitchen in a professional diner while going to school and being instructed by his apparently world famous Dad. He's had a big head start compared to everyone which is further topped by his creative and resourceful nature that likely came from a result of many failed experiments. Souma being an overachiever plus talented is what makes him a force to reckoned with.

poisui
2012-12-26, 23:47
http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r575/poisui/anime_manga/s73u3rfo_zpsb03232c8.jpg
I really like the character design in this series. I can't wait to see a formal introduction of the characters in chapter 4.

Pacify
2012-12-27, 01:17
Squid tentacles in peanut butter, oh god that sounds disgusting lol

solid chapter, hopefully the author can keep it interesting

Claies
2012-12-27, 10:36
Define rushed.

One chapter, dedicated towards introducing and establishing the basic characteristics of one side-character ( 2 if you count the teacher ) is pretty reasonable.

I did feel a little bit of it from this chapter, with Souma easily winning favor of one of the toughest teachers in the school. It can't be that all the upcoming rival students are harder to please than the teachers, right?

However, there is a weakness in him in that his cooking experience and intuition is mostly restricted within his diner, so he knows nothing of the wider culinary world and is ignorant of culinary theory. He only knows about the honey solution because he experimented, not because he knows chemistry, so he's going to flounder when given his first paper test to fill out. Of course, this is probably why his father told him to close the shop and go see the world first.

Nightengale
2012-12-27, 12:33
I did feel a little bit of it from this chapter, with Souma easily winning favor of one of the toughest teachers in the school. It can't be that all the upcoming rival students are harder to please than the teachers, right?

When you consider the fact he had previously easily impressed Erina and her grandfather, that hardly seems special.

Besides, some of those other nameless mooks also got an A for their dish.

Given that Souma's set-up as a character already establishes him as highly skilled, even if unorthodox, it makes sense that he's a class above characters who don't even get names to themselves.

Claies
2012-12-27, 13:08
When you consider the fact he had previously easily impressed Erina and her grandfather, that hardly seems special.

Besides, some of those other nameless mooks also got an A for their dish.

Given that Souma's set-up as a character already establishes him as highly skilled, even if unorthodox, it makes sense that he's a class above characters who don't even get names to themselves.

Impressing the grandfather is probably relative. His smile seems more to me that he's confirming his hunch that his arrogant granddaughter couldn't admit she's been challenged. It doesn't mean he's giving Souma his approval yet.

My problem is that, one whole volume in, Souma's still breezing through it all. We've never even seen Erina cook. What exactly is his challenge at the school supposed to be if even the strictest teacher looks like a pushover to him? His dominance has to be tempered somehow soon before it gets boring.

Valky
2012-12-28, 01:24
Well, in my opinion he's breezing through because it's barely started and we're pretty much haven't see the elite "1%" abilities yet. It's a bunch of random grunts so far. He will have his match, we just have to wait for the plot to thicken.

Xion Valkyrie
2012-12-29, 04:45
That reaction turned her young?!

DName
2012-12-29, 05:26
Wow, I love these series and to know who is the author makes it more hilarious. BTW I have just seen an american "MasterChief" episode and guess what, there competitors had to make a dish where egg is a vital and the most important ingredient to make it to the show. Its 2010 season.

Claies
2012-12-30, 16:13
That reaction turned her young?!

It made her remember back when she was young.

I'm warming up to Tadokoro slightly. She's going to be the unluckiest plot-armored character of all time.

Vladrave
2012-12-31, 06:17
Oh gee, that old hag is sure hot when she is younger.

And Tadakou and Soma as room mates? lol this is getting better and better.

Xion Valkyrie
2012-12-31, 06:24
Oh gee, that old hag is sure hot when she is younger.

And Tadakou and Soma as room mates? lol this is getting better and better.

Wonder if it'll develop into any kind of romance. I think Shounen Jump is missing a ecchi romance title right?

Mizuno
2012-12-31, 07:22
There's no way someone that hot (possibly hotter than Erina) turned into something like that. NO WAY!

Xion Valkyrie
2012-12-31, 07:27
There's no way someone that hot (possibly hotter than Erina) turned into something like that. NO WAY!

Time is not kind to those who are beautiful. It's something us ugly people can take solace in :heh:

Terrestrial Dream
2012-12-31, 12:17
There's no way someone that hot (possibly hotter than Erina) turned into something like that. NO WAY! Menopause man, freaking menopause.
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=18455&d=1347627945

Bonta Kun
2012-12-31, 12:27
Time is not kind to those who are beautiful. It's something us ugly people can take solace in :heh:

Ah damn and I can't even rep you for that now:(:heh:

While I did have some doubts about Megumi she is fitting nicely into the story right now, it's oddly amusing and endearing in a way that she's so unfortunate and pitiful and god knows how that is possible?!

Really liking this, hope we see more of younger Fumio again:love:

DName
2013-01-01, 09:38
I love this manga's art. And Megumi's face at the end of the chapter, I think I pitfully have fallen in love with another character from manga/anime :/

Westlo
2013-01-16, 09:33
Seems this is doing quite well in Jump, ranked 5th in this weeks jump though there is some debate as to whether or not it's a proper ranking.. it shouldn't be but because of the double issue it may be.

Regardless it seems the editorial stuff have mentioned that it's very popular, it's also getting exra pages next issue. Usually I don't read Jump manga until they're kinda safe, so it's good to see that the last few I took a chance on are popular (Ac) or seem to be (this one).

blade82
2013-01-16, 10:14
its original no sport no battle and no nosebleed

Vladrave
2013-01-16, 16:27
lol chapter 7 seems taking too long. Oh well.

poisui
2013-01-19, 01:02
Chapter 7: The story development continues to pick up!!!

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r575/poisui/anime_manga/image045_zps1fc47c6d.jpg
Yukihira meets his weirdo housemates. They tell him about the Tootsuki Elite Council of Ten. (Nakiri Erina is part of the Elite Council of Ten, so the council is no joke.)

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r575/poisui/anime_manga/Untitled-1_zps277ceb52.jpg
Yukihira eats one of the housemates' cooking. The food is so delicious that he gets a reaction.

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r575/poisui/anime_manga/image054_zps9aeec71e.jpg
It turns out that he is already face-to-face with a powerful Council member.

Freeter
2013-01-19, 01:04
From hot granny to naked apron guy...Tosh is covering all the bases, isn't he :heh:

RRW
2013-01-21, 13:59
http://i.imgur.com/b8vIJV4l.png

Xion Valkyrie
2013-01-23, 01:33
Latest Jump rankings:

Toriko (Cover, Lead CP, Movie Announcement)
Naruto
One Piece
Shokugeki no Souma (First Ranking)
PSI Kusuo Saiki
Kuroko no Basket
Assassination Classroom
Rookie Policewoman Kiruko-san
Haikyuu!! (Center Colour)
Sket Dance
Hungry Joker
Nisekoi (Center Colour, Character popularity poll results)
Beelzebub
Cross Manage
Bleach
Gintama
Medaka Box
Kochikame
Retsu!!! Date-senpai
Kurogane (END)

Looks like Tosh is going to be staying non-H for a while. Sorry for his H fans =P

aohige
2013-01-23, 03:02
http://i.imgur.com/b8vIJV4l.png

"not safe to view at work or school"

........ or home.

Drkz
2013-01-23, 03:08
"not safe to view at work or school"

........ or home.

Oh the beauty of tosh! Thinking this manga might be a hit. Since they got tosh of all people to draw it. :D

Vladrave
2013-01-23, 03:10
Yes!!!
Shokugeki Soma is doing well. Hopefully it will not be cancelled that easily :D

Westlo
2013-01-23, 04:30
Yes!!!
Shokugeki Soma is doing well. Hopefully it will not be cancelled that easily :D

The editors were saying weeks ago this was really popular... there's pretty much no chance of this getting canned for the next 6 months unless it pulls a Double Arts and dies in the ass.

Besides the latest round of cuts is done with Kurogane finishing this issue and Retsu!!! Date-senpai ending the following one. Might be a bigger hit then Haikyuu!! which is pretty damn good (AC is on another level)

Hungry Joker, Cross Menage and Medaka Box are the 3 titles under the pump right now. Medaka Box looks to be on the ending path anyway, so the next round of cancels may be Hungry Joker and Cross Menage for 2 new series, with Medaka Box "ending" so Hunter X Hunter can return.

It's amazing how Jump has managed to pump out new hits in the last year... a few years back for a 2 year period the only manga titles that survived was Kuroko (before it became a mega hit), Medaka Box and Kurogane.

Xion Valkyrie
2013-01-23, 04:38
A lot of the Jump series that got cancelled were SUPER generic though. I think that's why AC and Soma are doing so well, they're really refreshing compared to the stuff that has been coming out recently. Hungry Joker is pretty much generic to the T. Then there was KOISOME MOMIJI, which was as generic as you could get with a romance drama.

Anyways, if all those mangas are ending soon then that means new one-shots!

Freeter
2013-01-23, 05:19
Wow, that high for its first ranking? Anime, here we come :D

Mizuno
2013-01-23, 06:05
http://i.imgur.com/b8vijv4l.png

nsfa

not safe for anywhere

aohige
2013-01-23, 08:22
Oh the beauty of tosh! Thinking this manga might be a hit. Since they got tosh of all people to draw it. :D

It just hit chapter nine, officially ranking started, and it placed itself as the 4th (3rd in practicality since first is reserved for color treatment). Which is incredibly well.
The manga, rightfully, proved itself solid. This isn't going anywhere now, thank god! :D

A lot of the Jump series that got cancelled were SUPER generic though. I think that's why AC and Soma are doing so well, they're really refreshing compared to the stuff that has been coming out recently. Hungry Joker is pretty much generic to the T. Then there was KOISOME MOMIJI, which was as generic as you could get with a romance drama.

Anyways, if all those mangas are ending soon then that means new one-shots!

Hungry Joker is the worst snoozefest of all the new series from 2012, IMO.
There's literally nothing going for it.

Mizuno
2013-01-23, 15:39
http://imageftw.com/uploads/20130123/d62a6059252dd42a2b707a9a023b5bb5c9eab881.jpg

http://imageftw.com/uploads/20130123/d0c8a786c9177f3e0a36873c71cf3bc79f3d5684.jpg

RRW
2013-01-23, 15:55
Thank you based Tosh!

actually never knew his name before Soma. any recommendation from him :3

LeaD36
2013-01-23, 16:06
This manga looks interesting. I hope it will stay good until the end and i want moar!!
I've had enough of shonen mangas that i'm anticipating then get cancelled in the end....

Yakitate was cool, but it took a weird turn and went abstract towards the end or halfway point. The ending referene was cool though

LeaD36
2013-01-23, 16:08

tosh! is drawing this? shit now i feel complied to follow.

Tosh is god
or atleast draws some of the goddamn hottest women i've fa... seen in H-manga:uhoh::heh:

Vladrave
2013-01-24, 03:51
Well, tosh might not write a hentai for a very long time so.....

Iron Maw
2013-01-24, 08:10
Hmm... as much as I am enjoying this manga overall, I'm hoping Tosh will vary the formula a bit like how he did in Ch 7, because the whole "Souma being underestimated then doing the impossible+overtop reactions" nearly every chapter is starting to get a little old. =/

Also I kinda surprised that despite nearly being 10 chapters in, this only still just Souma's first day on campus. :eyespin::heh:

blade82
2013-01-24, 12:45
about the elit ten does the ranking go to 1 to 10 or 10 to 1 because the guy is 7th and the girl 10th and it was mentioned she is the best of the school

Iron Maw
2013-01-24, 22:51
about the elit ten does the ranking go to 1 to 10 or 10 to 1 because the guy is 7th and the girl 10th and it was mentioned she is the best of the school

It's not specifically mentioned, but I assume the members are all more or less equal and the numbers are assign based on the order when that individual joined the council. Otherwise Souma should be fighting the "last rank" first like in most Shounens. But it's just a guess at this point.

aohige
2013-01-25, 01:43
It's a "seat" though. Seats are usually ranked, when numbers are assigned to it.

Newprimus
2013-01-25, 06:55
Hmm... as much as I am enjoying this manga overall, I'm hoping Tosh will vary the formula a bit like how he did in Ch 7, because the whole "Souma being underestimated then doing the impossible+overtop reactions" nearly every chapter is starting to get a little old. =/

Also I kinda surprised that despite nearly being 10 chapters in, this only still just Souma's first day on campus. :eyespin::heh:

Tosh only illustrates this manga. Someone else does the story.

RRW
2013-01-26, 10:30
http://i.imgur.com/cBYzGm9.png

Drkz
2013-01-26, 11:08
Shessss back in next weeks chapter hurray!

Kleeyook
2013-01-26, 11:17
Hell, what does "Shokugeki" mean? I thought it means "cooking that makes you strip"!

aohige
2013-01-26, 12:34
It doesn't mean anything, it's a made up word.
Shoku is eating, and Geki is the chinese spear.

The kanji for "Shokugeki" is similar to kanji for "Shokutaku", a dinner table, so that's probably where it spawned from. Double pun that with "shougeki", a shock, which probably explains the reactions. :heh:
We don't know what it means in the story yet, although I would gather it's some form of gourmet contest of culinary students.

blade82
2013-01-26, 12:46
japanese version of "Top Chef":D

Vladrave
2013-01-26, 18:24
Oh, yes finally we're gonna see more Erina next chapter.

Mizuno
2013-01-26, 18:32
I lol'ed when he was surprised too when the girls were surprised.

Watching girls eat with this kind of art is a guilty pleasure in itself. :D

Iron Maw
2013-01-27, 03:14
It's a "seat" though. Seats are usually ranked, when numbers are assigned to it.

Ah, good point. I wonder if manga will just skip some ranks then.

Tosh only illustrates this manga. Someone else does the story.

Whoops, thanks for correction. :heh:

Admitting I never really looked at author. Most Jump Mangaka usually write their own plots and since we normally just talk about Tosh whenever we mention staff I ended up thinking he was doing everything.

Bombo
2013-01-27, 05:04
in general :
I have feeling this series won't last...That's what i'm thinking about even the arts and story Good .

For the chapters :
I started to read it yesterday ...Eechi everywhere even with tastes XD .

Drkz
2013-01-28, 06:18
in general :
I have feeling this series won't last...That's what i'm thinking about even the arts and story Good .

For the chapters :
I started to read it yesterday ...Eechi everywhere even with tastes XD .

Hmm.. I don't think so. At least at the moment its going strong. The reactions are practically the only time you can do ecchi. Since this is jump afterall.

Mizuno
2013-01-28, 17:07
^ Not really. Did you forget about To Love Ru? Ane Doki? :p

Bombo
2013-01-29, 06:57
Hmm.. I don't think so. At least at the moment its going strong. The reactions are practically the only time you can do ecchi. Since this is jump after all.
The reason why I'm thinking for that because the arts similar with koisome momiji and Kagami no kuni no harisugawa ...Good story and arts but in the end done quick = \ .

Westlo
2013-01-29, 07:17
Those two were never as popular as this is right now.

Bombo
2013-01-29, 07:51
Those two were never as popular as this is right now.
I hope that ,,The characters in this series especially megumi so cute <3 .

Drkz
2013-01-30, 03:15
^ Not really. Did you forget about To Love Ru? Ane Doki? :p

Darkness... still in jump. It was basically all ecchi no story. Hmm.. I was pretty bummed about Ane Doki too. It was pretty good. I feel like that mangaka should probably work on a different magazine. SnS has a story and they got a H artist to do the art. According to the last ch its really popular so we won't know. Food manga is a pretty hard say, but this food manga is pretty shounen.

Shadow5YA
2013-01-30, 03:31
Darkness... still in jump. It was basically all ecchi no story. Hmm.. I was pretty bummed about Ane Doki too. It was pretty good. I feel like that mangaka should probably work on a different magazine. SnS has a story and they got a H artist to do the art. According to the last ch its really popular so we won't know. Food manga is a pretty hard say, but this food manga is pretty shounen.

To-love-ru Darkness is in Jump SQ, which is different from Weekly Shonen Jump.

Also, I disagree about Ane Doki. While the art was nice, I felt that the story never went anywhere

Drkz
2013-01-30, 04:51
To-love-ru Darkness is in Jump SQ, which is different from Weekly Shonen Jump.

Also, I disagree about Ane Doki. While the art was nice, I felt that the story never went anywhere

Darkness wouldn't do well in weekly. I should of been clearer. Its in jump at least a sequel nonetheless. The only problem with to love is there is no clear indication with how the story is going. In the case of Ane Doki I'm guessing you haven't read the author's other works? That basically the general formula of a manga thats school based and slice of life. It tends to start out slow. Jump is pretty different now than it was in the 90s anyway. Now its basically over the top shounen. Power ups and more power ups....

SnS is pretty good at the moment anyway. It has a pretty good artist which is a must in a manga. It has a story. The MC actually has a goal. His goal is to beat his dad and to start with he'll be starting at the school with the ten top student chefs. Am I saying the serialization will last long? Probably not, but you never know. Currently Toriko is really popular and its a food manga too, but Toriko doesn't try to sell its manga with ecchi pics. Its the shounen and humor that get people to love it. There are probably two ways you can use ecchi in a food manga. The reactions or the character designs. Yakitate japan had some pretty good reactions (although some were very weird...). For character designs you can pretty much use your imagination.

The reason why I'm thinking for that because the arts similar with koisome momiji and Kagami no kuni no harisugawa ...Good story and arts but in the end done quick = \ .

The second one is Kano's stuff... hes like cursed or something. It seems the userbase for jump REALLY dislike his stuff. To this date if I remember correctly all his stuff has been axed. Like Mx0 for instance. It was pretty popular in the west, but not that much in the east. I personally think he should find a new magazine... or maybe move over to jump sq. Medaka Box is sorta suffering from the same fate as Mx0 though. I'm betting that jump won't axe since they're betting on Niso to pull it through. But I'm pretty sure very few people like reading a holy grail of text in a manga.

Bombo
2013-01-30, 07:04
The second one is Kano's stuff... hes like cursed or something. It seems the userbase for jump REALLY dislike his stuff. To this date if I remember correctly all his stuff has been axed. Like Mx0 for instance. It was pretty popular in the west, but not that much in the east. I personally think he should find a new magazine... or maybe move over to jump sq. Medaka Box is sorta suffering from the same fate as Mx0 though. I'm betting that jump won't axe since they're betting on Niso to pull it through. But I'm pretty sure very few people like reading a holy grail of text in a manga.

Thanks for your info about kano's stuff .....I like his work but in the end sad story about him.
:(

poisui
2013-02-01, 07:10
http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r575/poisui/anime_manga/160_zpsfdef2f6a.jpg

I suddenly want a sushi roll...

aohige
2013-02-01, 07:13
Great, it's probably just matter of time before someone post the image, forcing everyone to bleach their eyes out..

Iron Maw
2013-02-01, 10:06
And another one bites the dust!

Meh, at this point Souma's probably at the level of an elite 10 member. They merely have to recognize him. :heh:

And poor Marui, no wonder he wants nobody in his room.

Nightengale
2013-02-02, 05:54
Great, it's probably just matter of time before someone post the image, forcing everyone to bleach their eyes out..

Eh, it's not worse than the reaction from chapter 1.

Erina's stuff isn't as lewd compared to Souma's.

RapidPotential
2013-02-02, 06:52
Just started on this series today. Brings a whole new meaning to the term "food porn". :heh:

Mizuno
2013-02-02, 07:06
No, food porn is when the food comes alive and wrap themselves onto the girls. :)

aohige
2013-02-02, 07:15
Eh, it's not worse than the reaction from chapter 1.

Erina's stuff isn't as lewd compared to Souma's.

Yeah, fat sumo wrestler moaning "afuun" as he cums isn't exactly pleasent to my eyes.
Apparently you have strange fetish tolerencies. :uhoh:

RRW
2013-02-02, 11:32
http://i.imgur.com/zcbJgzU.png

RapidPotential
2013-02-02, 12:23
No, food porn is when the food comes alive and wrap themselves onto the girls. That's too literal. :heh: Although it seems capable of going in such a direction... :uhoh:

Xion Valkyrie
2013-02-02, 17:37
Souma will make the 'flowers bloom' ? Then we see 3 girls?

I like where this is going:heh:

Shadow5YA
2013-02-02, 17:43
Yeah, fat sumo wrestler moaning "afuun" as he cums isn't exactly pleasent to my eyes.
Apparently you have strange fetish tolerencies. :uhoh:

They were at least fully clothed. Everyone who foodgasms from Souma's food ends up naked, whether they are a man or woman.

Mizuno
2013-02-02, 17:59
If by full clothed, you mean the loincloth then yeah... just seeing Isshiki in nothing in an apron is enough thorns to the eyes. :heh:

RRW
2013-02-03, 12:08
Apparently the manga advisor is a chef/gravure model (http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/entertainment/2019956/full/)

Randrak42
2013-02-03, 12:13
Apparently the manga advisor is former chef/pornstar (http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/entertainment/2019956/full/)

I approve of this!

Iron Maw
2013-02-03, 12:13
This explains everything

Randrak42
2013-02-03, 12:19
BTW I think she's a Gravure Model rather than a porn star.

Vladrave
2013-02-03, 17:10
Yeah, she's more of a gravure model. I just checked her out and i see no porn videos.

Shadow5YA
2013-02-03, 18:01
A gravure model and a hentai artist... that's quite the combination.

Drkz
2013-02-04, 05:03
http://i.imgur.com/zcbJgzU.png

Troll chapter... THE MOST ANTICIPATED 25 PAGES! Blargh. When did jump started getting gravure idols as advisors...

Randrak42
2013-02-04, 09:01
When did jump started getting gravure idols as advisors...
She's not an adviser because she's a gravure idol...she's an adviser because she's a chef.

Iron Maw
2013-02-04, 11:25
Yeah, she's more of a gravure model. I just checked her out and i see no porn videos.

You were looking for porn of her? :p

Bombo
2013-02-04, 11:28
I approve of this!
Me too :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

RRW
2013-02-04, 11:54
She's not an adviser because she's a gravure idol...she's an adviser because she's a chef.

It just really a loophole isnt it :p

ragez2010
2013-02-04, 13:06
they should go for real chef not gravure idol/Chef Idol?, maybe Iron Chef Morimoto or something.

Randrak42
2013-02-04, 13:47
So...she can't be a REAL chef because she's a gravure model?
That's like saying Gordon Ramsay can't be a real chef because he has TV shows and pictures in magazines.

ragez2010
2013-02-04, 14:06
okay, maybe what i mean is she really a chef that have working in a busy restaurant kitchen before and just because she have a cooking book is that make her a Chef?

maybe she is a real chef, i just don't have more information on her. if that true, i apologize for stating that statement.

RRW
2013-02-04, 14:21
I think she do some Cooking TV show and wrote some Cookbook. Not sure whether she is "Chef In Certain Restaurant"

Randrak42
2013-02-04, 15:09
As far as I can tell she was originally a licensed dietitian and vegetable sommelier who later got scouted by an agency to be a gravure idol. She has since published a couple of cook books, wrote in a few magazine articles and had a tv shows or something.

You don't need to work in a restaurant to be a real chef anyway...

Von Himmel
2013-02-04, 15:16
Isn't it a bit stupid to assume that she's only an idol without good knowledge of cooking? I mean, even if the cooking in this manga might've been a fiction (since I don't know whether it's applicable in real life or not. I'm no cook), someone who could write down all the tricks for cooking in this manga should be someone who already has a good portion of knowledge in cooking.

Sorry, I couldn't help but to infer that you're doubting her ability as a cook based on the fact that she's a gravure idol.

ragez2010
2013-02-04, 15:28
im gonna stop here and apologize for giving one line stupid statement for her cooking ability and thanks for her information. i couldnt find anything other than her gravure picture and cooking show in youtube.

RRW
2013-02-04, 15:33
im gonna stop here and apologize for giving one line stupid statement for her cooking ability and thanks for her information. i couldnt find anything other than her gravure picture and cooking show in youtube.

Well cannot blame you that. it's kinda "hard" to find her cooking career evidence in the internet :cool:

Drkz
2013-02-04, 20:41
Don't know if this will help or not. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2Bej0mKriL._SL300_.jpg

aohige
2013-02-06, 23:11
Eh, there's enough on the wiki.

Yuki Morisaki is a certified registered dietitian (nutritionist) who worked at a hospital after her college graduation. Afterwards, she taught in cooking schools and also served as nuritonist at elementary schools before moving to media careers. (not to mention she's a nutritonist from Osaka, the culinary center of Japan. :P)

Pretty legit if you ask me.

She had one photography book out, and that's it. All the records of her career are culinary stuff.
Only thing I see that could link her to a model career is her photograph collection trading card of cosplays, which is her own personal hobby.
Any work she's done in her short time at the modeling office as well as acting agency is pretty non-existent.
She's a dietitian first and farmost.

As for the new chapter.... the new girl is HAWT. I love dark skinned babes. :naughty:

Vladrave
2013-02-06, 23:36
Is the new chapter translated now or only raw?

aohige
2013-02-07, 00:21
I don't think the raws are around yet either

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/3164/wwwdotuporg3920104.jpg
The seductive meat-assassin. :love:

Vladrave
2013-02-07, 01:23
This tosh guy does really knows how to draw good manga/anime girls lol

RRW
2013-02-07, 03:58
I don't think the raws are around yet either

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/3164/wwwdotuporg3920104.jpg
The seductive meat-assassin. :love:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/7/2008/11/CryingEagle-Flag640.jpg

This tosh guy does really knows how to draw good manga/anime girls lol

Dat skill from years of making H-Doujin

kenjtr
2013-02-07, 09:10
I dont know why jump hired a hentai artist who does a softcore porn in a childs magazine i wonder where japan is going weird . Dont get me wrong series isnt bad but definetly not jump material .

Valid
2013-02-07, 09:15
I dont know why jump hired a hentai artist who does a softcore porn in a childs magazine i wonder where japan is going weird . Dont get me wrong series isnt bad but definetly not jump material .

Isn't the artist of the manga in your signature also a hentai artist and that has been in Jump for a while now:heh:

aohige
2013-02-07, 10:00

Says a guy with a Medaka Box signature.

WTF.

RRW
2013-02-07, 10:14

Yabuki would like to talk with you

Randrak42
2013-02-07, 11:28
Even in the Medaka threads people have learned to ignore Kenjtr, so don't worry about him guys.

aohige
2013-02-08, 03:26
The chapter was awesome.

And here's more of the hottie.

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/382/ikumi.jpg

Nikumi Ikumi.

Although it's quite obvious she's going to be put in her place by Soma... using her own speciality, meat!

Vladrave
2013-02-08, 04:26
Is she part of the Elite 10 or just some good chef?

aohige
2013-02-08, 04:48
Nah

She's Erina's henchman, so not the magnificient 10 level, no.
She's a meat specialist however.

Soma's terms if she loses is to join the very don-club she's sent to destroy, so obviously a future defeated-and-friended nakama flag.

Randrak42
2013-02-08, 10:58
Hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot meat.

Tru3Ph03niX
2013-02-08, 11:23
From my minor understanding of Japanese (Hiragana) the new girls name is Ikumi Mito, a first year.

Looks like Soma challenged her and if she wins he quits school but I couldnt understand what he gets if he wins.

blade82
2013-02-08, 15:16
From my minor understanding of Japanese (Hiragana) the new girls name is Ikumi Mito, a first year.

Looks like Soma challenged her and if she wins he quits school but I couldnt understand what he gets if he wins.

he gets her thats all:D

Freeter
2013-02-08, 23:13
First Sena from Haganai, now Mito from Soma...why are all the girls associated with "meat" so delicious :naughty:

And since she's going with the 'cocky American' cliche, it won't be long before she throws up a middle finger or drops an f-bomb :heh: Heck, her 'foodgasm' might even involve fireworks :heh:

Randrak42
2013-02-08, 23:39
Man I love Mito's design, instant favorite girl with just that xD.
That said...her personality seems a bit "meh" though we've only seen her for half a chapter.

Erina is the most hated type of antagonist for me...there are no antagonists I hate more than the stuck up princess/prince types that are way too full of themselves and look down on everyone else as inferior. Hell, I hate these characters even when they are not antagonists (reason why I tend to hate Ojou and Tsundere types). There have been manga antagonists that have done the most horrible things and I still hate them less than these types...
Seriously...I dunno why but just mentioning Erina pisses me off, which doesn't happen often in shounen manga. She's not a character I love to hate or hate to love...I just hate that she exists >_>

bloodyclaws
2013-02-09, 01:27
Man I love Mito's design, instant favorite girl with just that xD.
That said...her personality seems a bit "meh" though we've only seen her for half a chapter.

Erina is the most hated type of antagonist for me...there are no antagonists I hate more than the stuck up princess/prince types that are way too full of themselves and look down on everyone else as inferior. Hell, I hate these characters even when they are not antagonists (reason why I tend to hate Ojou and Tsundere types). There have been manga antagonists that have done the most horrible things and I still hate them less than these types...
Seriously...I dunno why but just mentioning Erina pisses me off, which doesn't happen often in shounen manga. She's not a character I love to hate or hate to love...I just hate that she exists >_>

haha really? well for me, shes prob my favorite "heroine". (I can already tell shes gonna be the love interest for soma)

I've always enjoyed the ways a protagonist can break that ego and pride. Maybe it interests me more to see someone who hates you; to be on the end of a spectrum; and the protagonist changing them from hate to love. Rather than someone who is neutral about the protagonist and grows to like them. :D

aohige
2013-02-09, 01:55
The problem with Erina has less to do with her stuck up personality, and more to do with her complete failure as a student of culiary arts.

I'm fine with her disrespect of others. I'm not fine with her disrespect for food.
Notice both Soma and the senpai, despite being far above others in their skill as chefs, respect the food of others and enjoy dishes made by others in the dorm. Even though the dormmates levels are far below these two. That's becuase they love food. The most basic requirements of being a chef.

Erina shows no sign of such, and even go as far to THROW FOOD away at people.
You don't have to like people, but you have to love food. Otherwise, you're a fake.

It would have been fine if she was supposed to be an Anton Ego (http://pixar.wikia.com/Anton_Ego).
However, she's supposed to be a chef. Therein lies the problem.

Claies
2013-02-09, 01:56
Erina's not exactly an antagonist, though. The manga seems to frame her more as a rival that Soma has yet to fight because they live in separate and opposite worlds. Erina thinks that only top-class dishes are worthy of her gourmet center of the world, but Soma gives no crap about where a technique is from and will happily cook from the bottom of the pile. The principal let him in so they can teach each other what the other world is like.

Besides, Soma hasn't eaten Erina's cooking yet, so he hasn't learned to respect her either. I'm afraid that he's not going to be a very interesting protagonist in the long run if he keeps on being the cocky kid that steamrolls through everyone just because he has a seemingly infinite bag of tricks. There's no growth potential for him yet.

aohige
2013-02-09, 02:03
Erina's not exactly an antagonist, though. The manga seems to frame her more as a rival that Soma has yet to fight because they live in separate and opposite worlds. Erina thinks that only top-class dishes are worthy of her gourmet center of the world, but Soma gives no crap about where a technique is from and will happily cook from the bottom of the pile. The principal let him in so they can teach each other what the other world is like.

Besides, Soma hasn't eaten Erina's cooking yet, so he hasn't learned to respect her either. I'm afraid that he's not going to be a very interesting protagonist in the long run if he keeps on being the cocky kid that steamrolls through everyone just because he has a seemingly infinite bag of tricks. There's no growth potential for him yet.

Not sure if you read the latest chapter, but she IS being used as an antagonist.
Her desire to destroy clubs making "those lowly food for commoners" such as donburi, sending assassins to destroy them, is clearly the role of an antagonist in the current run of the manga.

Claies
2013-02-09, 02:12
Not sure if you read the latest chapter, but she IS being used as an antagonist.
Her desire to destroy clubs making "those lowly food for commoners" such as donburi, sending assassins to destroy them, is clearly the role of an antagonist in the current run of the manga.

I did, and my point is that there isn't a good-vs-evil battle going on where Erina is to be framed as an antagonist, because I don't see Soma as really the "good guy". As far as I can tell, Erina's conceited because she doesn't care for food outside the gourmet peak, but Soma also appears in some way conceited because he doesn't care for cookery beyond the world that is his family diner and thinks the entire school is already beneath him. He doesn't show it as openly now, but it was obvious in the opening chapters.

Erina is already in a position to do lots of collateral damage, but Soma almost tried to take out 7th best student head on without much thought. If he had his way, I think he would have done the same to any who challenge him so that he can go match his dad, because that's all he appears to think about.

EDIT: On second thought, I'm relatively new to the Jump style of shonen manga, so maybe my idea of an antagonist is different. Jump antagonists don't tend to last nearly as long before they turn friendly, do they?

aohige
2013-02-09, 02:21
I did, and my point is that there isn't a good-vs-evil battle going on where Erina is to be framed as an antagonist, because I don't see Soma as really the "good guy". As far as I can tell, Erina's conceited because she doesn't care for food outside the gourmet peak, but Soma also appears in some way conceited because he doesn't care for cookery beyond the world that is his family diner and thinks the entire school is already beneath him. He doesn't show it as openly now, but it was obvious in the opening chapters.

Erina is already in a position to do lots of collateral damage, but Soma almost tried to take out 7th best student head on without much thought. If he had his way, I think he would have done the same to any who challenge him so that he can go match his dad, because that's all he appears to think about.

EDIT: On second thought, I'm relatively new to the Jump style of shonen manga, so maybe my idea of an antagonist is different. Jump antagonists don't tend to last nearly as long before they turn friendly, do they?

That kinda proves that you haven't actually read the newest chapter.

The reason why Soma is putting himself at risk and challenging Ikumi, regardless of his cockiness, is because he feels the Don-club is valuable, and doesn't wish to see it gone. He's stepping in becuase the Don-club has nowhere else to turn to. He's not doing this match for himself, he's doing FOR THE DONBURI CLUB whom he just met mere minutes ago. Despites being spineless, the Don-club leader's cooking notes impressed Soma, and he sees value in him that Erina doesn't.

Hell, in fact, he's not asking ANYTHING in return for himself. He tells her if he wins, Ikumi not only must spare the Don-club, she needs to join it.

You're clearly not seeing the larger picture here, he's not the same as Erina, and they are clearly not portrayed at equal ground.
She's a Vegeta and this is the Saiyans Attack arc. For how long, who knows.
Edit: we'll continue the discussion when the scanlation is out. :p

Claies
2013-02-09, 03:13
That kinda proves that you haven't actually read the newest chapter.

The reason why Soma is putting himself at risk and challenging Ikumi, regardless of his cockiness, is because he feels the Don-club is valuable, and doesn't wish to see it gone. He's stepping in becuase the Don-club has nowhere else to turn to. He's not doing this match for himself, he's doing FOR THE DONBURI CLUB whom he just met mere minutes ago. Despites being spineless, the Don-club leader's cooking notes impressed Soma, and he sees value in him that Erina doesn't.

Hell, in fact, he's not asking ANYTHING in return for himself. He tells her if he wins, Ikumi not only must spare the Don-club, she needs to join it.

You're clearly not seeing the larger picture here, he's not the same as Erina, and they are clearly not portrayed at equal ground.
She's a Vegeta and this is the Saiyans Attack arc. For how long, who knows.
Edit: we'll continue the discussion when the scanlation is out. :p

You have a point that he's being a hero to the downtrodden around him. My argument was that Soma has to learn to look up as much as Erina has to learn to look down, but the scene you mention early in the chapter shows the beginning of the former already. I have yet to see him show an appreciation to Erina's world of haute cuisine. As arrogant as that "fine cooking" looks, it's still a kind of strength that Soma seems ignorant about. Maybe he has an inclination to do so, but as far as I can tell he doesn't care.

It is in that sense that I don't think the dynamic is so cut and dry as good-against-evil. I almost want to guess that Erina's current rampage is a knee-jerk reaction to Soma shocking her the first time. My disappointment is that I think Soma has a looming shadow of inadequacy that the manga is late in touching on. Maybe one could view his willful ignorance of high-class cuisine as a heroic thing to do against the "evil empire" that is the school, but I think of it as more of a yin-and-yang setup.

aohige
2013-02-09, 03:39
But he doens't look "down" at it. He's simply ignorant of it. There's a huge difference there.
If he was the same as Erina, he would have told his dad that he's a loser for serving at a high-class restaurant in NY.
Did he? No. Becuase he's a friggin chef :heh:.
The only reason he doesn't really care for the class of food is, becuase he holds the belief his dad does. "FOOD IS FOOD".
There's not one case of Soma disrespecting "high class cuisine" or ANY food at all.
You can't compare that with Erina's actual hatred of such.

In what instance have Soma EVER disrespcted ANY food?
When did you see him disregard cuisines as worthless?
Where did you see him taking initiative to destroy them?

You're only looking at "cocky" and "snotty" aspects of the characters personalities, and disregarding the actual culinary attitudes of both.
"Being ignorant" is not the same as "vehement hating and using your position to destoy them". Not even close to it.
Yin and yang is a balance of equals, and there's no balance nor equality in this case.

If Soma eats a "high-cuisine" that tastes good, he'll say it tastes good. He will complement whatever the food deserves.
Erina on the other hand, lies to her own tongue. How is this not obvious?

Vladrave
2013-02-09, 04:37
But of course as shonen manga goes, Erina will got development in the end where she will be more respectable to not so high class but tastes good dish lol

aohige
2013-02-09, 04:51
Well yeah, just like Vegeta.
But like in the original Saiyans Arrive arc, she's currently the "I'm a Saiyan prince and you're nothing but a peseant!" antagonist. :heh:

Randrak42
2013-02-09, 09:57
Erina has tasted Souma's cooking, she knows how good "low-class cuisine" can be. Yet even after tasting how good it can be she denies it, she still views "high-class cuisine" as superior and that the low-class one should disappear from the school.

It's like someone saying a certain race of people is pure evil and should be exterminated from the country, even after meeting people of that race that are saint like.

Souma on the other hand is cocky, yes, but he has yet to say anything bad about other people's food. He's the type who, even if he does say something about about a dish prepared by someone else, it would be constructive criticism. Souma is just cocky about his SKILLS in cooking, not about how superior his recipes, he simply says he can cook better than others, not that his recipes are superior to everyone elses. He views food as food like Aohige pointed out, Erina views food as status.

She is an antagonist...she's obviously also the female closest to being the lead in this manga. It's damn clear that even if she is the antagonist, she'll eventually fall for Souma and join his side, but for now she's the main one causing problems for Souma to fix.
There's a difference between an antagonist and a villain. Villains are usually just evil bastards that cannot be redeemed in any way (following the Dragon Ball comparison Frieza would be a perfect example of a villain) while antagonists are not necessarily evil, they are more like people with their own agenda that doesn't necessarily match the protagonist, but there's still the possibility of them joining the "good" side later on (like Vegeta).

Claies
2013-02-09, 16:32
Erina has tasted Souma's cooking, she knows how good "low-class cuisine" can be. Yet even after tasting how good it can be she denies it, she still views "high-class cuisine" as superior and that the low-class one should disappear from the school.

It's like someone saying a certain race of people is pure evil and should be exterminated from the country, even after meeting people of that race that are saint like.

Souma on the other hand is cocky, yes, but he has yet to say anything bad about other people's food. He's the type who, even if he does say something about about a dish prepared by someone else, it would be constructive criticism. Souma is just cocky about his SKILLS in cooking, not about how superior his recipes, he simply says he can cook better than others, not that his recipes are superior to everyone elses. He views food as food like Aohige pointed out, Erina views food as status.

She is an antagonist...she's obviously also the female closest to being the lead in this manga. It's damn clear that even if she is the antagonist, she'll eventually fall for Souma and join his side, but for now she's the main one causing problems for Souma to fix.
There's a difference between an antagonist and a villain. Villains are usually just evil bastards that cannot be redeemed in any way (following the Dragon Ball comparison Frieza would be a perfect example of a villain) while antagonists are not necessarily evil, they are more like people with their own agenda that doesn't necessarily match the protagonist, but there's still the possibility of them joining the "good" side later on (like Vegeta).

Okay, looks like I lumped together the definitions for villain and antagonist. Sorry about that.

Mizuno
2013-02-09, 17:45
I guess we can look forward to some naked meat next chapter..

RRW
2013-02-09, 17:48
I guess we can look forward to some naked meat next chapter..

I hope Soma serve her with his "secret sauce" :naughty:

Vladrave
2013-02-09, 18:21
I'm honestly waiting for the reaction that the meat assassin will give. We're probably gonna see that mito or mido naked due to Foodgasm! :D

Iron Maw
2013-02-10, 15:15
Well, that was a pretty meaty chapter and we haven't even gotten to the cooking yet!

Shadow5YA
2013-02-10, 15:40
I'd like to taste Ikumi's meat if you know what I mean

Drkz
2013-02-10, 21:44

Comment of win. Hopefully next week is the battle chapter! WAIT FOR THAT REACTION!

DarkRaven
2013-02-10, 22:20

hell yeah!!
and the battle is on!

Mizuno
2013-02-10, 22:44
Actually the girls are the ones tasting Souma's meat. :)

Drkz
2013-02-11, 22:10

LOL. Good comment.

Iron Maw
2013-02-12, 01:43

If you put it that way, they aren't the only ones. :uhoh:

aohige
2013-02-13, 00:40
Woohoo!
Soma is doing REALLY good in TOC rankings, pretty much left its rookie peers in dust. :D

poisui
2013-02-15, 20:51
Chapter 11:

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r575/poisui/anime_manga/12114_zpse4d24e7f.jpg

Tadokoro is too cute.

aohige
2013-02-16, 02:59
I really enjoyed this chapter.
It actually put Soma up through a tough trial and error, not "I magically crafted superfood lol IWIN."

Drkz
2013-02-16, 04:00
No meat nooooo!

RRW
2013-02-17, 13:03
http://i.imgur.com/Wvil89U.png

Mizuno
2013-02-17, 16:14
I hope Soma serve her with his "secret sauce" :naughty:

Turns out he's really emphasizing on the sauce. :heh:

Vladrave
2013-02-17, 18:15
Greatly enjoyed this chap. I see it's getting more technical lol

D-Scythe911
2013-02-17, 19:50
In case anyone's interested Here is a link to the pilot oneshot that came out before the main series. In my opinion I like the previous design of Some more than the main one... except the red hair. Soma is not "Soma" without red hair.

http://bbs.sora-anime.net/topic/250-shokugeki-no-soma-ch00/

Iron Maw
2013-02-17, 20:12
What's this? Souma actually struggling on something?! Seriously though, that was a really good chapter especially because it didn't end in another cumbstomp cook off.

Mizuno
2013-02-17, 20:40
^ Yeah, after reading this chapter, I think Souma is going to face an imminent defeat somewhere along the lines. It's not exactly smooth sailing for him especially with the 7th guy taking it easy on him.

Drkz
2013-02-18, 15:32
^ Yeah, after reading this chapter, I think Souma is going to face an imminent defeat somewhere along the lines. It's not exactly smooth sailing for him especially with the 7th guy taking it easy on him.

He'll face a defeat, but it won't be this chapter at least. I'm pretty sure he won't be getting kicked out... this early in the serious. Although he probably needs to find a job...

DName
2013-02-18, 16:27
I think Souma will be beaten very badly against number 1 (not in the official match)

Shadow5YA
2013-02-18, 17:30
All ye of little faith... how can you doubt that Ikumi will love Souma's meat sauce?

Iron Maw
2013-02-18, 18:39
Souma can't lose this particular fight simply because it mean would the end of manga. :p

Besides it would leave a bad aftertaste to see that bitch (Erina) be proven right.

Although he probably needs to find a job...

Speaking of which, his dad is huge asshole. $2 and some change count as "living expenses"? Can't wait to see happens when it's time for Souma to go college. :heh:

Randrak42
2013-02-18, 18:49
He won't lose to an "assassin"...but he will lose to one of the strongest students in an unofficial match. This is basic shounen manga logic.

Drkz
2013-02-19, 01:14
He won't lose to an "assassin"...but he will lose to one of the strongest students in an unofficial match. This is basic shounen manga logic.

PoT logic. Don't lose to anyone, but your dad.

aohige
2013-02-19, 04:10
Speaking of which, his dad is huge asshole. $2 and some change count as "living expenses"? Can't wait to see happens when it's time for Souma to go college. :heh:

Nah it was 6211 yen, so little less than $70 USD.
Still, way too little.

Randrak42
2013-02-19, 04:23
From what I gathered his father said he'd deposit once in a while...yet hasn't at all, leaving him with what savings he had. In a way it makes his father look even worse xD

aohige
2013-02-21, 07:44
spoilers

Ahaha, Nikumi whips out super high grade A5 meat, and starts tendering it right at the match.
Then Soma whips out a supermarket cheap beef with Half-price off sticker still on it. LOL.

The Shokugeki match is like a wrestling match, complete with raving spectators.
Spectators cheer on for Ikumi, but boo Soma. Erina is watching the fight from a VIP seat.

Soma already managed to um.... turn on Nikumi just from the aroma stemming from his frying pan cooking the meat.
Apparently cute. Can't wait to see it. :heh:

Drkz
2013-02-21, 21:21
spoilers

Ahaha, Nikumi whips out super high grade A5 meat, and starts tendering it right at the match.
Then Soma whips out a supermarket cheap beef with Half-price off sticker still on it. LOL.

The Shokugeki match is like a wrestling match, complete with raving spectators.
Spectators cheer on for Ikumi, but boo Soma. Erina is watching the fight from a VIP seat.

Soma already managed to um.... turn on Nikumi just from the aroma stemming from his frying pan cooking the meat.
Apparently cute. Can't wait to see it. :heh:

Dam you aohige... I love your name, your icon and your sig. DAMNN YOU!

Alrite. That reminds me of something out of Yakitate Japan. Whoever hasn't read it needs to read it. Its a legit bread anime/manga. Hahaha.

Randrak42
2013-02-21, 21:28
Dam you aohige... I love your name, your icon and your sig. DAMNN YOU!

Alrite. That reminds me of something out of Yakitate Japan. Whoever hasn't read it needs to read it. Its a legit bread anime/manga. Hahaha.

The food in SnS makes people prance around naked in pure bliss...but the bread in Yakitate makes worlds implode and people start parodying other series.

aohige
2013-02-22, 04:42
Nikumi :love:

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/2945/wwwdotuporg3976366.jpg

Vladrave
2013-02-22, 06:57
My Dark knight is rising.

Bonta Kun
2013-02-22, 14:50
Nikumi :love:

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/2945/wwwdotuporg3976366.jpg

Ehhhhh.........bikini and hot pants?..............I think my mind just imploded!:love::naughty:

Mizuno
2013-02-22, 16:01
You sure that's your mind? :D

Newprimus
2013-02-22, 16:27
One and the same in this case. :D

DName
2013-02-24, 08:22
And why I fell like reading Fairy tail? And its not saturday. I mean I'm not gay or anything but its too unrealistic, how Nikumi (or Mikumi that meat girl) is dressed. Somehow I hate when there is too much echi in the manga.

aohige
2013-02-24, 08:35
The premise of the manga is super food gives orgasm and depict them naked, and you complain about "too much ecchi"?

Son, you're in the wrong parts of town to begin with.

Valky
2013-02-24, 08:57
LOL, what do you expect from Tosh anyway?

How's the ranking btw? Still on the upper side?

DName
2013-02-24, 09:30
I'm good with food reactions I love them, but when girl doesn't even know how to zip their pants THAT is unrealistic ;D Speaking about rankings last week it was 5th this week 11th I always check them here (http://forums.mangafox.me/threads/398312-Weekly-Shonen-Jump-Ranking/page5)

Westlo
2013-02-24, 09:55
Was 5th last issue, 3rd the issue before that, 8th, had a color page, it's ranking well.

Edit

@ DName, this is how you work out TOC ranking.

Jump Issue #13 TOC
One Piece (Cover, Lead CP)
Assassination Classroom
PSI Kusuo Saiki
Kuroko no Basket (Center Colour)
Toriko
World Trigger (23pg.)
Glass Feet (Center Colour, Oneshot)
Naruto
Bleach (Center Colour)
Koisuru Edison
Shokugeki no Souma

Bolded entries don't count since they are color pages, italic entries don't count because they are brand new series that are unranked.

1 = AC
2 = PSI
3 = Toriko
4 = Naruto
5 = Souma.

DName
2013-02-24, 10:26
Oh, thanks for the info.

RRW
2013-02-24, 12:52
http://i.imgur.com/FmdBXJ3.png

MC117
2013-02-24, 16:03
Can't wait for next chapter! I love this manga so far.

Jamesanity
2013-02-24, 17:46
Exactly, cant wait either. Hope this goes on for a while.

n0m@n
2013-02-24, 18:00
Definitely one of my favourite manga in weekly Jump.
I wonder how Souma will manage to beat Nikumi with a cheap meat.

bloodyclaws
2013-02-24, 18:30
cant wait for the next chapter. Cooking mangas always make me hungry >.<

Iron Maw
2013-02-25, 04:45
lol Souma hasn't even finished cooking and Mito is already feeling it. Ofcourse she too arrogant to take this as an omen. Oh well, pride before the fall and all that.

Oh and Meat Sonata is hilarious. :heh:

Bonta Kun
2013-02-25, 07:00
l
Oh and Meat Sonata is hilarious. :heh:

lol wasn't it just!

Totally loving this manga, funny as it is a joy to read plus it's good on the eyes!:D

Wonder what we'll get with Nikumi when she experiences Souma's cooking since her senses are more than normal, should be in for a treat I expect:p

Valky
2013-02-25, 07:44
I wish we're going to see Soma's path to Haremship begin next week. lol.

n0m@n
2013-02-25, 07:58
Im happy that the first Volume of Shokugeki no Soma is coming out in 4th April.
I hope it gets uncensored just like how TLR did when it was made into a Volume.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E9%A3%9F%E6%88%9F%E3%81%AE%E3%82%BD%E3%83%BC%E3%8 3%9E-1-%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A3%E3%83%B3%E3%83%97%E3%82%B3%E3%8 3%9F%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B9-%E4%BD%90%E4%BC%AF-%E4%BF%8A/dp/4088707214/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361797122&sr=1-1

I wonder how Souma would beat Nikumi with a cheap meat when she is using the best meat there is. Maybe something like how superb meat doesnt suit donburi dishes.

Newprimus
2013-02-27, 22:51
It's a little unrelated but speaking of ero-artists going mainstream manga, Sawano Akira and Kojima Saya have also gone mainstream!

This now makes:

Maybe (Tasogare Otome x Amnesia)
Matra Milan (Omamori Himari)
Takeda Hiromitsu (Maken-ki)
Kase Daiki (Man-ken)
Kensoh Ogawa/Fukudhada (Iinazuke Kyoutei)
Tosh (Shokugeki no Souma)

and now Kojima Saya and Sawano Akira as well! Wheee!!!

(EDIT: Ah, the Kojima Saya one's a oneshot so far. Bummer.)

Freeter
2013-02-27, 23:38
It's time...for MEAT :bow:

http://i.imgur.com/xvoKaPq.jpg

bloodyclaws
2013-02-27, 23:45

mmm.. >.<

Glory to the meat!

n0m@n
2013-02-28, 01:48
I feel like eating meat now.

Shadow5YA
2013-02-28, 02:01

I'd love to eat that

Vladrave
2013-02-28, 02:55
That is some meat.

Shadow5YA
2013-02-28, 03:06
Must be hot.

RRW
2013-02-28, 04:01

Best serve HOT!

Randrak42
2013-02-28, 04:21
It's a little unrelated but speaking of ero-artists going mainstream manga, Sawano Akira and Kojima Saya have also gone mainstream!

This now makes:

Maybe (Tasogare Otome x Amnesia)
Matra Milan (Omamori Himari)
Takeda Hiromitsu (Maken-ki)
Kase Daiki (Man-ken)
Kensoh Ogawa/Fukudhada (Iinazuke Kyoutei)
Tosh (Shokugeki no Souma)

and now Kojima Saya and Sawano Akira as well! Wheee!!!

(EDIT: Ah, the Kojima Saya one's a oneshot so far. Bummer.)

Also

Oh! Great (Air Gear)
Boichi (Sun-Ken-Rock)
The Satou brothers (Highschool of the Dead)
Nakata Yumi (Kanojo no Kagi wo Akeru Houhou)

Shadow5YA
2013-02-28, 21:11
There's also House of Karsea, who is now drawing for the Railgun manga.

The artist of Medaka Box also used to do h-doujins, but I forgot his name.

Newprimus
2013-02-28, 22:43
I just remembered, the author of Denpa Kyoushi is also a former ero-manga artist.

RRW
2013-02-28, 22:50
I thought official artist doing ero work in the past is normal. at least in japan

Shadow5YA
2013-02-28, 23:21
Yeah, it is.

aohige
2013-03-01, 10:37
Get your bodies ready, 'cause chapter 13 Nikumi's cuteness explodes.

http://i.imgur.com/LfwARHh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/vR6Ic5S.jpg

Sarun
2013-03-01, 13:27
I want Ikumi to be a recurring character.

Iron Maw
2013-03-01, 14:19
That might depend on whether Souma sticks with the Donners or not.

Also

Oh! Great (Air Gear)

I-I did not know this, that explains quite a few things about his mangas. :heh:

Mizuno
2013-03-01, 17:00
I want Ikumi to be a recurring character.

IMO, his meat has already won her over. She can't live without his meat. :naughty:

Mars Mode
2013-03-01, 17:19
You know its true, do you think he is going to join the club?

Or he is simply going to keep looking.

aohige
2013-03-01, 17:53
Nikumi being cute and adorable goes without saying, but I have to note one thing...
The Kyoto-ben speaking Miss Kuraki is HOT!

I hope she's also a recurring judge in the series.

LeaD36
2013-03-01, 21:39
Also

Oh! Great (Air Gear)
Boichi (Sun-Ken-Rock)
The Satou brothers (Highschool of the Dead)
Nakata Yumi (Kanojo no Kagi wo Akeru Houhou)

excuse me while i refer to my sources to validate these facts.

Nightengale
2013-03-01, 21:44
I-I did not know this, that explains quite a few things about his mangas. :heh:

Just an note if you want to take a look at his... "beginnings", he's drawn some rather abnormal... stuff.

Look at the 'tags' before jumping through. It'll save some parts of your sanity.