PDA

View Full Version : Gundam Seed

gundam na jutso
2004-04-17, 21:38
i just saw the first episode of gundam seed, on cartoon network. I was so happy i watched every eip. the day it came out on fan sub.its just as great now. the only thing i dont like it that thay got kira voice acter wroung he just does anit sound i like i imagend him to sound like. what do you guys think?

Komataguri
2004-04-17, 21:42
I was about to start my own thread about this.

Your right. KIRA SOUNDS LIKE A DAMN SURFER DORK!

%$#!%#@!%#$!^%$@%^#%$@#%#$@

THEY RAPED MY FAVOURITE CHARACTER! THEY RAPED WITH A 12 INCH SPIKED STICK MY FAVOURITE ANIME!!

I HATE THEM!

The only voice that sounds right is Fraga's, NO ONE ELSE SOUNDS RIGHT.

This sounds like its some stupid California Surfer dork anime, not the epic struggle of good vs. evil that wretched my heart and brought a tear to my eye as fansubs.

Someone needs to jihad the company that dubbed SEED, they need to JiHad them something fierce!

Ranko
2004-04-17, 21:43
Kira's voice is wrong? ALL THIER VOICES ARE WRONG, thanks to the bad voices i want to kill fllay even more now, i just want bandai to put out some bloody subbed dvds but right now i can't even watch my fansubed version since a friend is borrowing them, ARERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Make the evil voices stopppppppppppppppppppp.

sighs well i got that out of my system, now i feel a bit better, but i still need to remove thous evil voices from my mind.

Komataguri
2004-04-17, 21:46
People say its wrong and illegal to continue watching the fansubs when the anime is lisenced, But you know what?

When they rape a series like this, I think its justifiable to keep watching the fansubs.

Company's don't deserve to be paid for ruining something great!

Would you pay a company for bastardizing the Mona Lisa?

Would you pay a company for dipping the greatest works of art of history in paint thinner?

NO! You wouldn't!

ARGHGHGHJGHGHG!!!!

I'm not advocating piracy, just venting my feelings mods

Ranko
2004-04-17, 21:48
oh i'll still buy the dvds and in 14 weeks when episode 15 shows i'll see if they kept the bed sceen.

I just want my Subbed DVDs

Superchop
2004-04-17, 21:55
thanks to the bad voices i want to kill fllay even more now

I completely agree with you...i still haven't finished watching the ep...but so far fllay's voice is the worst one out of all of them...she sounds like a little 6 y/o -_-;

luckily i saw it subbed so the series isn't exactly ruined for me...

Melazoma
2004-04-17, 21:56
Ah... the backlash has begun... It pains me even just by hearing about the CN contract-butcher's treatment of one of my most loved show--the first true return to the themes of original Gundam.

In conclusion: I'm glad that I don't pay for cable or satellite. If I did, I would not be posting here--I'd be dead, in my heart and my soul.

Komataguri
2004-04-17, 22:00
I AM dead in my heart and soul after hearing all these horrid voices.

The people the used don't even have talent!!!!! For christ sakes!!

Some of these voices are just cold and emotionless, Like someone just threw the script to someone on the street and said " Say this as piss porely as you can ".

They even ruined the damn names!

Athran? Cruex? I mean, For the damn sake of baby jesus why the hell do these people defile this wonderous series so.

Its as if lisencing company was out to purposefully erode the soul of all the fans.

Erode the soul, and destroy the heart is the mission of these dastardly bastards from the very deepest most bowels of hell!

gundam na jutso
2004-04-17, 22:11
if it wernt for the fact i hear the evil vocies anyway i whoud not complan. i dont understand how thay can mess something so good up. and who come thay never watch the subed version to let then know what kind of a chricater there potraing.if thay did that thay might do a better job of dubbing then even with this great blunder i do think there doing a better job than thay did in the past. like when thay changed sailor monns v

for those to first see it tonight i fell sorry for them thay never get to see it in it true glory. and even worse somebody at the compiny must of thought the voice acter had talent how the hell did he get and keeps his job. thya hvae forsaken us for the last time i think we shoud protest there evil ways.

anyway im going to play tribes now.

microlith
2004-04-17, 22:24
Oh stop bitching and just wait for the DVDs.

If you don't like the dub don't watch it on CN, like I don't.

Superchop
2004-04-17, 22:28

I know i'm not watchin it :D

but i at least like to see 1 ep of any series aired on CN just to see how it is...curiosity always gets the better of me :heh:

daliinn
2004-04-17, 22:30
Kira's voice is wrong? ALL THIER VOICES ARE WRONG, thanks to the bad voices i want to kill fllay even more now, i just want bandai to put out some bloody subbed dvds but right now i can't even watch my fansubed version since a friend is borrowing them, ARERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Make the evil voices stopppppppppppppppppppp.

sighs well i got that out of my system, now i feel a bit better, but i still need to remove thous evil voices from my mind.

oh yeah, i came in half way and the dubbing is definetly horrible. i was quite dissapointed to hear the voices. pity..

Melazoma
2004-04-17, 22:34
Oh stop bitching and just wait for the DVDs.

As you can see, Sir Great Anime King, this is a vent thread. And these people who have posted, they are the brave souls who ventured deep into Dubland, and came out scarred and traumatized for life. They have already seen it, the damage is irrevocable and irreparable--let them have their ventings, lest more uninformed masses venture into this life-destroying production that is the Dub-job of Gundam Seed.

gundam na jutso
2004-04-17, 22:41
As you can see, Sir Great Anime King, this is a vent thread. And these people who have posted, they are the brave souls who ventured deep into Dubland, and came out scarred and traumatized for life. They have already seen it, the damage is irrevocable and irreparable--let them have their ventings, lest more uninformed masses venture into this life-destroying production that is the Dub-job of Gundam Seed.
like you say we are the men and wemon that goe where no one has gone befor. only to come back with the 1000 yard anime staire god have murcie on our souls.

Melazoma
2004-04-17, 22:45
like you say we are the men and wemon that goe where no one has gone befor. only to come back with the 1000 yard anime staire god have murcie on our souls.

Plays "Tap"
*Rifle Shots in the sky

Tabiree
2004-04-17, 23:24
Havent sen it yet. But I do think people are going a bit too far. A lot of anti-dub sentiment stems from the fact you've got the japanese voices burnt onto your brain as the only thing that could ever possibly be right, and you're not willing to listen anything else at all.

I'd dare say it'll improve over the next few episodes or so

UssoKK
2004-04-17, 23:57
All I'm saying is that the Narrator's voice was really good! She sounded like Cpt. Janeway from Star Trek, IMO! :D

Well, that and I want to know how severe the edits were exactly. I've told everyone that the new Toonami was aimed toward an older teen audience like the execs said, they wouldnt HAVE to edit anything :p

And It's the same way with me..the JPN seiyuus are burned into my brain, but the choices for acting isn;t so bad.....you all should be more angry at the editing than the dubs...

Oh well, It can get better? Right? Right!?!?!

Sanjuronord
2004-04-18, 00:13
I knew I was gonna have issues with gundam seed on cartoon network the moment they didn't play the opening. Considering the cuts already made in the first episode don't expect the bed scene in ep 15. Very distressing because the first episode is very tame compared to how much further the violence in the battle scenes is going to get in later episodes.

As for the voice actors, I don't really mind any of them that much. They're not as good as the Japanese voice actors but that's to be expected. On the other hand somebody needs to fire the person in charge of directing the voice actors. Kira and Murrue both sounded way too confident and out of character. If this were the last five eps I could buy into Murrue's voice actor. She sounded very military and confident about what she was doing, at this point she needs to be played alot less sure of herself and more like a woman out of her element(she was an elementary teacher prior to the war).

Yzak needs to be played alot more cold and vicious.

Dearka i was really afraid of hearing, knew the old Quatre voice actor was going to play him and was sure he'd ruin it. Quatre was weak and unsure of himself, and in that the voice actor was perfect but Dearka is nothing like Quatre. Only two lines for Dearka in this ep, he butchered the first one and nailed the second one so jury is still out. This voice actor would be better suited for Nicol but that voice actor is already doing a decent job it seems.

Athrun (that is his name, it's just not pronounced like it's spelled -- no wonder he's pissed off his best friend can't even pronounce his name) didn't seem to display much emotion even when he bumped into Kira again at the end. If he doesn't get his act together he's gonna butcher some wonderful scenes later in the series.

More annoyed at cartoon network really than bandai at the moment. Was wondering why I never saw any commercials for Gundam Seed on cartoon network and now I know. I only watched adult swim, and cartoon network wanted another gundam wing to sell their kiddy toonami crap. I saw more gundam seed during the commercials during gundam seed than i saw prior to today. Cartoon Network needs to get rid of all their cg crap during commercials(the toonami tom and whatever the new girl is called), the stupid text cards during adult swim, the stupid sock puppets, and all of that crap. Heck toonami and adult swim should both get the ax. Not the actual shows, or the anime. Leave them right where they are, but just stop treating the blocks like they're something special. I don't think it'd even affect their ratings anyways. Just as many people would tune in to watch cowboy bebop at midnight whether it was called adult swim or just called cartoon network. Ditch all that crap and you could get full anime openings and closings.

Speaking of which, why the heck did they move the next episode preview in between the end of the ep and the ending theme...talk about ruining the flow. That was one of my favorite bits about gundam seed, the way the cliffhanger endings would play right into the end credits. Hell even the way they played the fourth opening scenes instead of the actual ending bothered me. The original one focused alot more on the war with the gravestones, everybody looking depressed, and the wartorn area around them with scattered bits of mobile suits and stuff. Of course i understand why they didn't show it...because they can't show that to the same audience that they're advertising little 7 year old girl dolls to...

Gold_Rogers
2004-04-18, 00:30
I dunno if Japanese VAs voices being burned in my brain makes a dub sound worse. When I first started watching anime as an adult (I had watched a fair bit as a child, dubbed into a 3rd language other than English), all of it was dubbed. Even from the very beginning the English dubs irritated me and grated my ears. When I first started to get my hands on subs, I went straight to get stuff I had already watched (and liked) on dub. Turns out the subs were amazingly better, even though I had already had the English voice cast burned into my brain. I mean, at first I was a little jarred by the differences, but I immediately noticed how well the Japanese VAs expressed the mood, characters, and emotions of the characters. It only got better from then on...

Spooky-Electric
2004-04-18, 00:44
When I buy anime on DVD and haven't heard the japanese voices before the dubs still sound like crap compared to the japanese voices. So for me it has nothing to do with having japanese voices burned into my brain.

I never saw Gundam Seed subbed and the dub still sounds bad to me.

Kyuven
2004-04-18, 01:08
the dub acting seemed incredibly cliched (do they use the SAME cast for EVERY freakin Gundam dub or am i imagining things?)
i never got to see the fansubs :( it was licensed before i started using BT >_<
all i can do is wait for bandai to release the DVDs (which will be unedited...Bandai isn't frickin 4Kids after all)

Enragin_Angel
2004-04-18, 01:30
I noticed that they cut a few scenes. The scene where athrun shoots marius in the arm and it kinda goes in slow motion. They either cut that scene because of the bad animation (it suffered from poor sharpness) or they cut it because of the blood. Who knows...but did any of you notice any other cut scenes? Also, I don't like how they just mixed a bunch of the OPs together and put anna ni issho datta no ni as the song. They cut part of the song as well. How about more songs and less commercials?...is what I would say if I was talking to the people at toonami.

Ranko
2004-04-18, 05:41
One thing i do thank God for, is CN does most of it's own editing, so we don't have to worry about the DVDs being bad and evil

I did i have to lend out my ficken subs to someone i need to listin to the japanese Kira to save my soul

Silver_Scorcher
2004-04-18, 09:48
Well, I figured this would happen. But you really can't blame most people for bashing the dub. Like a lot of other people said, having watched SEED in Japanese, they had the voices etched in their minds, and set a very high standard for what the dub should sound like. Actually I think SEED's Japanese cast is the best I've seen yet for any anime. Personally I won't have an opinion until the DVD's come out in September, cuz I live in Canada and don't get CN. Either way, I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. Remember the dub for Gundam Wing? I thought the acting for the first few episodes sucked. But as it got off the ground, the acting got better and better. Don't jump on the band wagon just yet. It's only the first episode. The Voice Actors will probably have gotten into their roles a few episodes down the road. Just wait and see. Not all dubs are destined to suck the whole series. But if you can't stand the dub, you can always wait 5 months for the DVD's to come out.

Komataguri
2004-04-18, 10:03
My rage at the situation isn't because the subs Japanese voices were burned into my brain.

My problem is that they made Kira sound like a surfer hippie.

Kira is NOT that confident in the begining, and surely dosn't sound like the next words out of his mouth should be " Duuuudes, Lets go hit a doobie and rip a gnarly curl ".

They gave these characters the most horrible, stereotypical white american hippie pothead voice actors imaginable.

I know, if ADV would have gotten this series.. it would have been Great.

I've never been disapointed with a ADV dubs.

Hell, Even Pioneer has done some great dubs. Trigun was an awesome job.

I've never been so disapointed in a dub then I am, right now, with Bandais bastardization of Gundam Seed.

Ranko
2004-04-18, 11:53
You shouldn't call such things bastardized, it's an insult to the bastards of the world.

Melazoma
2004-04-18, 12:28
You shouldn't call such things bastardized, it's an insult to the bastards of the world.
lol on that note: Back when my Englsih proficiency was still in its infancy--7 years ago--I actually learned the word "Bastard" as an insult and took it to mean something close to 馬鹿野郎 (for my lack of a Chinese WP and the prevalent Japanese usage on this board, I chose to use a Japanese phrase instead of Chinese).

It wasn't until much later that I learned that the origin of the word "Bastard" began as an vile remark to a child born out of wedlock. I may have insulted some people more than I meant to as a result of such learning process :heh:

Panon
2004-04-18, 12:41
Well, that and I want to know how severe the edits were exactly. I've told everyone that the new Toonami was aimed toward an older teen audience like the execs said, they wouldnt HAVE to edit anything :p

How severe were the edits? Ok..

All blood was removed.

Any scene that showed a person dying that wasn't part of the gun battle late in the episode was removed (examples: when Fraga's wingman Gale is killed, you see Gale looking terrified as a Ginn flew at him, thats gone. When the bombs planted around Archangel detonate, originally you see people in and around the ship caught in the blast, all those scenes are gone).

During the gun battle there were minor parts cut, but also dead bodies were digitally removed.

Sound effects for all gunfire is changed and I mean ALL, whether that's rifles and pistols being fired by people or the weapons of mobile suits and mobile armours, so that it sounds less like gunfire and more like lasers. It's been done so poorly that during the first space battle, when the Ginns fire their guns it uses the Phase Shift Armour activating sound effect. It's not even consistant, later in the episode when Ginns are firing their gun makes the sound of missiles launching. It's like they didn't even bother to make a new sound and just threw a random sound effect over the top of it.

The opening title sequence is gone, completely.

The end title sequence is completely mangled. The next episode preview has now been dumped *before* the ED, which causes problems since episodes always end with the ED music beginning while the episode is still going. Now the song is cut off, the next ep preview plays, then it cuts back to a cut down clip of the ending song playing over video from the third OP.

Apart from the CN editing which obvious sucks, I wasn't unhappy with the dub. Sure it has a bit of "surfer dude" syndrome, but overall it's better than average. Dub casts usually take a couple of episodes to get properly into character so I'll give it a couple of more episodes to see how it goes.

Kyuven
2004-04-18, 12:51
I know, if ADV would have gotten this series.. it would have been Great.

I've never been disapointed with a ADV dubs.

Hell, Even Pioneer has done some great dubs. Trigun was an awesome job.
i just wanna point out that the ADV VAs can't pronounce japanese words to save their lives, and Bandai and ADV share a lot of the same voice actors (you can hear Kira's VA in a few ADV series for instance)
what's forever etched in my mind after watching the first episode last night: they pronounce Kira's last name "YAMAto"...it sounds REALLY bad...
oh and Fraga is now Flaga...shoulda seen that coming but whatever

Melazoma
2004-04-18, 13:05
i just wanna point out that the ADV VAs can't pronounce japanese words to save their lives, and Bandai and ADV share a lot of the same voice actors (you can hear Kira's VA in a few ADV series for instance)
what's forever etched in my mind after watching the first episode last night: they pronounce Kira's last name "YAMAto"...it sounds REALLY bad...

Oh dear god like "Tomahto" of British English? Reading more of this furthur hardens my determination; that unless the dubsters can seriously hire competent actors who can pronounce a Japanese name without butchering it so completely--surely anyone can say "Ki-la Ya-ma'to'."

And this should have been done so long ago: that all "R" in character names gets pronounced "L"--save when the name was intended to be an Anglo-name--perhaps even spelled as such in the official English release. It pains me to hear, whether on TV or on the accidental DVD track, the absolute butchering resulted from "RAH-" of any kind. It's just... not pretty

Quiddity
2004-04-18, 13:14
the dub acting seemed incredibly cliched (do they use the SAME cast for EVERY freakin Gundam dub or am i imagining things?)

Actually the vast majority of the cast has never appeared in a Gundam dub (only the actors for Ramius, Mu, Tolle, Ades, and Sai) Infact many of the VAs (Cagali's, Natarle's, Creuset's, the Narrator's, Yzak's, Nicol's, etc...) seem to be new to Ocean in the first place.

You really show off your ignorance regarding dubs here. ADV dubs are done in Texas. The Bandai dubs are done in either Vancouver(Ocean) or Los Angeles(Animaze). None of the ADV actors have ever appeared in a Bandai dub. Matt Hill, Kira's VA has NEVER appeared in an ADV dub.

I thought the dub was great. Cartoon Network handled the show horrifically, particularly all the commercial breaks and putting the preview before the ending, but the voices were great. Can't say I'm surprised with the reaction here though, you are the same people who were calling Bandai the devil for licensing their own property for US release in the first place. You have your beloved bootlegs, if you hate the dub that much just go back to them.

Melazoma
2004-04-18, 15:36
This is an addendum to my previous post, which was posted in rage, and may not have made too much sense.

I suppose my questions to the Dusters--the people who handle the dubbing--is why are they unable to take the time and find the right cast and give the proper coaching to the cast? I consider myself one of the most vocal person against Dubbing on the internet and off, not because of a rabid desire for the show to stay like when it was fansubbed, but out of the love of a show I've come to hold as one of the best shows I have seen. I am perfectly fine with the concept of dubbing in and of itself, and I realize that there is a giant market(North American) out there that is "too lazy to read subtitles." What I cannot stand, is the complete destruction of characters painstakingly built by the original producers and Voice Talents as soon as the first line is spoken in English. With all that said, I support dubbing, if and only if it is done faithfully to the characters and story itself. There is only one recent dub job that impressed me thoroughly and grants me hope for the better; that production is my yard stick in dubbing--it's not an anime, it's the Metal Gear Solid series, both One and Two. I have heard both the Japanese version and the English version on each title. The dub cast and their work on each game, lead by the Inimatable David Hayter, are the epitome of North American localization.

So far, I've not seen anything like it--that is what pains me so.

BanditKing
2004-04-18, 16:21

ADV has two dub studio, the one that is really good(well my opinion anyway) is
Industrial Smoke & Mirrors studios and the other that I didn't like is Monster Island studio.Sometime they use Bang Zoom Entertainment but its unlikely now.

Bandai mostly use Ocean studio which you are hearing from gundam seed.

They use different studio so they can't have the same VA.

Kyuven
2004-04-18, 16:47
You really show off your ignorance regarding dubs here. ADV dubs are done in Texas. The Bandai dubs are done in either Vancouver(Ocean) or Los Angeles(Animaze). None of the ADV actors have ever appeared in a Bandai dub. Matt Hill, Kira's VA has NEVER appeared in an ADV dub.
this sorta proves ANOTHER point though: most of these VAs sound exactly the same, and the one's that do sound different always sound the same no matter what role they play

The type-casting is what gets me: younger male characters (such as Nakahito from Steel Angel, the entire cast of digimon...or anything ending in -mon for that matter) are always played by the same actresses, these same actresses also always play the tomboy-ish female characters ("Izzy" from Digimon and Motoko from Love Hina have the same VA)
even the VAs themselves, in some of the extra commentary on some of ADVs discs, complain about being type cast. (Nakahito's VA said something along the lines of "Why do i always have to play little boys?")
and if you think a Bandai/ADV/FUNimation/Geneon/etc. VA has never worked on a project for another company...most of the VAs are just contracted to a specific company, much like some actors are contracted to a specific studio, or sports players are contracted to a specific team. For instance, some of the VAs working for 4Kids once worked for ADV

Maikeru
2004-04-18, 17:05
I watched this last night on Toonami. I enjoyed it. This is the first Gundam series that I've actually bothered to watch.

darkchibi07
2004-04-18, 17:11
For instance, some of the VAs working for 4Kids once worked for ADV

:twitch: Wha?

Some of the VAs of 4Kids work with either Right Stuf, CPM, Media Blasters and sometimes Manga Entertainment.

BanditKing
2004-04-18, 17:17
this sorta proves ANOTHER point though: most of these VAs sound exactly the same, and the one's that do sound different always sound the same no matter what role they play

just because they sound same(Note:I don't think they sound the same)doesn't mean that they all can't pronounce japanese words.If the Ocean studio can't pronounce word doesn't mean that IS&M studio can't pronounce word too.

unless they are doing a part of the anime spin off that another company licensed then its not usually to hire an VA from other studio.

Example

Geneon licensed soultaker and ADV licensed Nurse Witch Komugi.Some of the VA who is in soultaker are in Nurse Witch Komugi which is why ADV have to hire some of the VA in soultaker to do in Nurse Witch Komugi.Unless they are in this situation they don't hire other studio VA.

Quiddity
2004-04-18, 17:18

Well, if they sound all the same to you there's nothing I can do about that. I've spent the time watching many dubs time and time again and can easily distinguish between the actors. As such a dub hater I wouldn't be surprised that you'd have that attitude. Then again, the japanese actors often sound exactly the same too. Are you gonna whine about that too?

and if you think a Bandai/ADV/FUNimation/Geneon/etc. VA has never worked on a project for another company...most of the VAs are just contracted to a specific company, much like some actors are contracted to a specific studio, or sports players are contracted to a specific team. For instance, some of the VAs working for 4Kids once worked for ADV

Never said that. But in general, actors who live in Vancouver DON'T APPEAR IN TEXAS DUBS!!!!! Only once in 7+ years of watching dubbed anime have I heard an actor who has appeared in more than one of the 3 major geographical regions for dubbing anime for non-connected characters, Lenore Zan who was Aisha Clan Clan in Outlaw Star(LA dub) and Hamon in MS Gundam (Vancouver dub). Matt Hill somehow going to Texas to appear in an ADV dub then back to Vancouver for Gundam Seed? Doesn't happen.

Gold_Rogers
2004-04-18, 21:07
After discussion with various anime fans all over the world (and actually listening to non English dubs such as shows done in: French, Spanish, Korean), I am of the opinion that among dubs English dubs are often the worst. Spanish dubs done by Mexicans (even though I understand very little Spanish) are usually of very high quality, and I have heard the actors/actresses take their work very seriously. A friend of mine from South America told me VAs are pretty well known down there and have pretty wide fan bases. Same goes for French dubs (although French with Anime sounds a little weird), and the Korean dubs I have listened to have generally been good as well. None of them quite capture what the Japanese VAs did, but a lot of times the different takes on characters done by VAs who do stuff in these three languages is heartfelt and very interesting. English dubs generally sound less enthusiastic, less researched, less professional. Of course this is my opinion, but I feel that at least it's not an opinion coming out of a vacuum as I have heard many different dubs in many different languages over the years.

Silver_Scorcher
2004-04-18, 22:09
Actually a couple of more prominent VA's from the Ocean Group (Brad Swaile: Dearka, and Lisa Ann Beley: Murrue), got cast in an anime licensed by ADV called Nurse Witch Komugi. Perhaps IS&M recruited them into their fold, or are just borrowing them. Well either way, Brad & Lisa are two of the best actors from the Ocean Group, so it's no surprise that IS&M would cast the two of them.

-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
2004-04-18, 22:14
A couple of things came to my mind when I was watching this dub. First...What in the hell did they do to Flley's voice? She sounds like whining girl than anything!! Another thing was...whats with the gun sound? It sounds more like those toy guns with flashing lights for "special effects".

The only thing I can compliment on this is the fact the CN had the eyes enough to pick out a good anime to air. Another thing was the background voices (announcer, newscaster etc) was pretty decent. In fact, it was better than the main characters themselves.

I noticed that a lot of names were pronounced so "Americanish" that it was hard to grasp what they said (ex. i thought kira said Catherine instead of Athrun). Another thing to point out is that much of the excitment from battle was gone from the rather monotonous voice acting. Kira and everybody else in fact sounds like a dam surfer boy (no offense) during a breath taking combat scene.....overall i had some hope that CN might improve with dubbing but i guess not...

Kimimaro
2004-04-18, 22:46
I agree with everyone in saying that this has to be one of Bandai's worst dubs ever. Not only did they manage to mismatch most of the characters, they also decided to pronounce all the names the way they are spelled, such as Athrun, which as we all know is pronounced Asuran.

Kimimaro
2004-04-18, 23:02
I accidently pressed enter while I was entering my reply so i wasn't quite finished.

Most dubs tend to suck nowadays so while I was disgusted by it, i can't say I was surprized.

Now that my piece on the voices is over, I'll just say that I'd love to complain about the many stupid edits Cartoon Network made to Gundam SEED, but it won't do anything. They made a mistake of aiming this at a tween and younger teen audience even if Toonami is supposed to be aimed at a older crowd, and that means edits that don't even seem logical will happen. I doubt we will get to see the bed scene or any of the scenes where the pilots of Forbidden, Raider, and Calamity are popping pills to get the reflexes of Coordinators.

Last Saturday is the first and last time I will watch SEED on Cartoon Network and I will patiently wait for the DVDs so I can forget that amazingly crappy dub.

Enragin_Angel
2004-04-18, 23:20
Well, my theory is that these VAs don't watch the Japanese version. And even if they did, they wouldn't know what was what (since asuran doesn't sound anything like athrun). Anyway, all they have to go by is the English script which has those godawful "official" names like Ssigh and Athrun.

BanditKing
2004-04-18, 23:21
Actually a couple of more prominent VA's from the Ocean Group (Brad Swaile: Dearka, and Lisa Ann Beley: Murrue), got cast in an anime licensed by ADV called Nurse Witch Komugi. Perhaps IS&M recruited them into their fold, or are just borrowing them. Well either way, Brad & Lisa are two of the best actors from the Ocean Group, so it's no surprise that IS&M would cast the two of them.

So Ocean Studio is the one who did soultaker?I thought Geneon give it to Bang Zoom Entertainment.Guess I'm wrong then.
BTW I think IS&M took four people since I saw the list at AoD Forum.They did that to please the fan who demand it(for people who didn't know.)

method
2004-04-18, 23:47
Actually there is no correct way to pronounce names like Athrun. These names were completely made up and are not based on Japanese naming convention. Sine the Japanese language is limited, they have to come up with pronounciations as close to the names they want. So just because the Japanese pronounce the names one way doesn't mean they are right.

I just checked ANN and they listed Ocean as the dubbing studio.

Quiddity
2004-04-19, 01:18
I agree with everyone in saying that this has to be one of Bandai's worst dubs ever.

Yes, we all know how you can judge an anime based on the very first episode -_-

Anyway, all they have to go by is the English script which has those godawful "official" names like Ssigh and Athrun.
First off, they corrected that ridiculous Ssigh spelling for the english release. Its Sai, as it should be. Second of all, its the japanese who came up with the ridiculous spelling, not those in charge of the dub. I know its heresy in you people's eyes to criticize anything done by the japanese, but many of the faults with Gundam releases over here (no sub track for MS Gundam, bizarre landmark names like Great Canyon and New Yark in MS Gundam, cyber-newtypes, weird spellings, etc...) is because of them.

Well, my theory is that these VAs don't watch the Japanese version

Why should they? These people know how to act, they don't need to imitate the work of others. When VAs imitate the work of others we get horrific results, as we saw when Funimation first started dubbing Dragonball Z on their own.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Is the english dubbing of anime perfect? No, it isn't. Could things be a lot better than they are? Certainly. But there are a number of major problems that have to be fixed first. First off, the dubbing industry as a whole deserves a lot more respect than it gets. Actors don't receive proper credit for their roles, and often have to revert to using aliases so its extremely tough to find out if they were actually in a show or not. You'd figure they'd receive support from anime fans. But no, they don't. Far too many as seen at this forum go out of their way to flame dubs to death as much as possible, putting the japanese dub on a pedestal so high that nothing in english will never approach it. Even if they don't understand a single word the japanese actor is saying, the actor's execution and pronunciation of his lines could be way off but the fans praise the work anyway and bash to death english actors with years of experience who do an excellent job. You want better english dubs? You can start by giving them more respect. Dubs will never be as good as you want them to be as long as you people flame them relentlessly with no end in sight.

All of you who are bashing Seed's dub, let me ask you something. Are you fluent in japanese? If so, then fine, you certainly have the means and the experience to support your claim that the japanese acting is superior. But if you're not, then the more likely, valid reasoning is that you've been watching Seed for quite a while now and have gotten used to the japanese actors. Are they good? Are they bad? They could be either. Those of us not fluent in japanese can't tell for sure. Suddenly the english actor comes around and sounds different than his japanese counterpart. And it shocks you. How dare they get someone who sounds different! Tough luck. Don't get so attached to the japanese VA in the first place and you might find yourself liking a lot more english dubs.

darkchibi07
2004-04-19, 06:42
:bow:

OMG, I so love you now!

Melazoma
2004-04-19, 09:09
Yes, we all know how you can judge an anime based on the very first episode -_-

First off, they corrected that ridiculous Ssigh spelling for the english release. Its Sai, as it should be. Second of all, its the japanese who came up with the ridiculous spelling, not those in charge of the dub. I know its heresy in you people's eyes to criticize anything done by the japanese, but many of the faults with Gundam releases over here [shorten only for brevity] sounds different! Tough luck. Don't get so attached to the japanese VA in the first place and you might find yourself liking a lot more english dubs.

This and many other animated series are completed shows and comes with pre-established characters and stories that at some point, will pay off when done right.

While I agree that the actors have no obligations to listen to the Japanese tracks just to get a feel for the atmosphere, what should be done really, is research into their characters and see how it was done in the first place, either via a coach or if available, a studio-subtitled episode. One of the chiefest principle in acting is that "Acting is Doing." In that everything an actor does or does not do, directly alters the perceptions of the audience, thus alters and shapes the character itself. After all, the audience only have an actor's doings to derive a character from.

Shifting to Dubbing, where as I mention above is a production of pre-established stories and characters. The "surfer dude" attitude is not an attribute of Kira Yamato; just as the "surfer dude" attitude does not exist in "The Phatom of the Opera." I see dubbing to be akin to Broadway re-runs or revivals of shows no longer played by their original casts. Some revival casts do an exellence job duplicating--not a requirement--the original experience while drawing unprecedented motivations and justifications from their individual chracters and still end up with an excellent production, some if not better than the original. The same thing can be applied to dubbing.

My greatest concern then, is not the complete replication of a production but that the latest production may capture the essense of each individual character and within that confine, do their own thing.

Silver_Scorcher
2004-04-19, 10:24
This and many other animated series are completed shows and comes with pre-established characters and stories that at some point, will pay off when done right.

While I agree that the actors have no obligations to listen to the Japanese tracks just to get a feel for the atmosphere, what should be done really, is research into their characters and see how it was done in the first place, either via a coach or if available, a studio-subtitled episode. One of the chiefest principle in acting is that "Acting is Doing." In that everything an actor does or does not do, directly alters the perceptions of the audience, thus alters and shapes the character itself. After all, the audience only have an actor's doings to derive a character from.

Actually, in most cases, English VA's do have to watch the anime in the original Japanese format before hand. Some do it voluntarily to get a feel for the character they're playing, but most (particularly at ADV's IS&M) have to listen to the Japanese diologue on a head set, watch it on screen and recite there lines at the same time. It's mostly to match there speech with the mouth flaps on screen, hence making dubs a lot harder than a lot of people might think.

Warning: Spoilers ahead

Getting back on topic now, why are so many people complaining about how the characters sound in the DUB? It's the first episode for god's sake! I haven't seen the dub (I'll have to wait till the DVD's come out in September), but i have seen the series in its entirety. Alright so Athrun's VA doesn't sound so emotional. So what? Athrun is pretty calm and serious until half way through when Nichol dies. It's the same thing with Yzak. Yzak is pretty much the same case as Athrun until he gets scarred by Kira. Don't jump to conclusions yet. It's only the first episode. Just wait for the main characters to fill out a few episodes down the road. If the DUB doesn't improve by then, then everyone bashing the dub has every justification to criticise it. Until then just wait and be patient.

Komataguri
2004-04-19, 21:50

Shifting to Dubbing, where as I mention above is a production of pre-established stories and characters. The "surfer dude" attitude is not an attribute of Kira Yamato; just as the "surfer dude" attitude does not exist in "The Phatom of the Opera." I see dubbing to be akin to Broadway re-runs or revivals of shows no longer played by their original casts. Some revival casts do an exellence job duplicating--not a requirement--the original experience while drawing unprecedented motivations and justifications from their individual chracters and still end up with an excellent production, some if not better than the original. The same thing can be applied to dubbing.

My greatest concern then, is not the complete replication of a production but that the latest production may capture the essense of each individual character and within that confine, do their own thing.

I think I want to worship you as my new god.

Sanjuronord
2004-04-20, 04:11
Getting back on topic now, why are so many people complaining about how the characters sound in the DUB? It's the first episode for god's sake! I haven't seen the dub (I'll have to wait till the DVD's come out in September), but i have seen the series in its entirety. Alright so Athrun's VA doesn't sound so emotional. So what? Athrun is pretty calm and serious until half way through when ****. It's the same thing with Yzak. Yzak is pretty much the same case as Athrun until he ****. Don't jump to conclusions yet. It's only the first episode. Just wait for the main characters to fill out a few episodes down the road. If the DUB doesn't improve by then, then everyone bashing the dub has every justification to criticise it. Until then just wait and be patient.

You're referring to their big moments like it's the only point they ever display emotion, Athrun had two big scenes in the first ep, when Rusty gets shot (though that may have been cut, probably was) and when he first sees Kira. Yzak has tons of emotion even prior to the event you mentioned, that guy is bristling with cold hatred. Wasn't alot of scenes with the gundam pilots in this ep so it's a bit early to be saying whether the actors will nail the parts or not. As for this Kira as a surfer dude thing, i just didn't see it. Go watch the dub of gourry on slayers if you want to see a surfer dude dub. I'd rather not see Kira as a "surfer-dude" but does it really change his character that much if he liked to go surf w/ his friends on heliopolis?

As for having the voice actors watch the japanese dub, don't know if that's really neccesary or not so long as they try to remain true to the character. I remember reading one voice actress from the Kiddy Grade dub (never watched the sub or the dub so not sure if it's any good) mentioned she hadn't watched the japanese version but had instead read the manga to get a feel for her character.

Somebody else complained that fllay's voice actor sounded like a whiney little girl...did you actually watch the series? She is a whiny, stuck-up, little girl. Also, gotta give that voice actress props for even taking the part considering how some people really hated her character in japan anyways.

Laurie-chan
2004-04-21, 10:44
[Sunrise Studios announced yesterday that the Inuyasha TV series will conclude in September and be replaced in October by Mobile Suit Gundam Seed 2. The first report on Gundam Seed 2 will appear in an unspecified Japanese anime magazine next month.]

Gundam Seed 2???

Silver_Scorcher
2004-04-21, 10:54
[Sunrise Studios announced yesterday that the Inuyasha TV series will conclude in September and be replaced in October by Mobile Suit Gundam Seed 2. The first report on Gundam Seed 2 will appear in an unspecified Japanese anime magazine next month.]

Gundam Seed 2???

Really? I just read from Gunota Headlines http://aeug.blogspot.com about a SEED 2 rumour. It sounded pretty legit (these guys don't post every rumour that spreads around). Guess all that's left now is to wait for an official announcement.

-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
2004-04-21, 19:34
Gundam Seed 2 was proven to be legit way back when the Gundam Seed forum was still on ^_-

Ok screw the voice acting, screw the emotion, screw everything since its only the first episode and we gotta give them a chance. But my one and only truly serious problem with this dub is...what happened to the gun sounds?!! As i have said before, its sounds like a $20 toy gun from kbtoys or something...

method
2004-04-21, 20:18
There have been conflicting statements since Seed2 was mentioned at that con. This is the closest we have gotten to an official announcement.

brightman
2004-04-21, 21:10

Gundam Seed 2???

I have some skepticism concerning that rumor... One, the only source is from a Super Robot BBS, and we know how reliable those are... Two, the Inuyasha anime is still going extremely strong, there's a movie coming up soon and the anime happens to rate significantly higher than SEED 1 ever did, so I don't see that one being cancelled. And three, IY airs on Mondays at 7:00PM on NTV, so that means Bandai would be placing SEED 2 on a prime-time slot in a network that never aired Gundam before. The network switching is not too surprising, since they've done that before with Turn A, SEED and SD Force, but that timeslot has been used for family programming for a long time (popular ones at that) and it would seem a bit strange to see a mecha show on it.

Sanjuronord
2004-04-21, 21:23
I'm gonna wait before i let my hopes get back up for the gundam seed sequel if it ever comes out. Can understand your skepticism brightman, but don't misread the quote, it says conclude not canceled. If Inuyasha was going to conclude, wouldn't everybody want to take over that time slot for their anime? Can anybody verify that Inuyasha is going to conclude anytime soon? This is the first I've heard about that anime coming to an end but it has had a pretty long run already anyways.

brightman
2004-04-21, 21:55
I'm gonna wait before i let my hopes get back up for the gundam seed sequel if it ever comes out. Can understand your skepticism brightman, but don't misread the quote, it says conclude not canceled. If Inuyasha was going to conclude, wouldn't everybody want to take over that time slot for their anime? Can anybody verify that Inuyasha is going to conclude anytime soon? This is the first I've heard about that anime coming to an end but it has had a pretty long run already anyways.

Well, since it's still so popular, and since the manga is still running and the anime is in no danger of catching up to it, I'd say that it's "cancelled" ("concluded prematurely" if you will) if this is true. And so far there is no other source claiming that IY will be "concluded" either.

BTW since both IY and Gundam are animated by Sunrise, it seems more like this news is implying that Sunrise is replacing their own show with another one of their own... So maybe that's a reason that supports this rumor, but I wouldn't count on it.

kj1980
2004-04-22, 01:30
from the "Animenation" site
Gundam Seed 2 to Replace Inuyasha
According to a post on the Japanese Super Robot Taisen BBS, Sunrise Studios announced yesterday that the Inuyasha TV series will conclude in September and be replaced in October by Mobile Suit Gundam Seed 2. The first report on Gundam Seed 2 will appear in an unspecified Japanese anime magazine next month.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a translation error here. The original Japanese text on the "Now airing Robot-Anime discussion thread, Episode 65" thread reads as follows:

今日サンライズの会社説明会行ってきたけど説明映像や担当の人の話から二つ三つ情報をゲットしてきますた。 説明映像の中でのガンダムSEED~虚空の戦場~の所のテロップが「2004年3・7月放送」になってた。 再放送かはたまた3~4クールの総集編か。SEED2の情報はマジ。10月放送開始の予定で現在制作中。俺 らに流すぐらいだから来月のアニメ雑誌には第一報が載るだろう。あと犬夜叉が9月で終わるそうな。余談だが SEEDでのサンライズの儲かりっぷりはマジで凄かったらしい(過去最高)。前年度の売り上げは90億を越 えてプロデューサーと監督は土地と家が買えるほどの成功報酬を貰ったとか。

Today, I went to Sunrise's corporate information seminar* and I was able to get several infos from the promotional video and the promoter. First, the video for the "GundamSEED~kokuu no senjou" (TV special) had the telop that read "March & July 2004." Its assumable that the next re-run [TV-special compilation] will be for the third and fourth quarter installments. As for the rumors about SEED2, it's true. They are aiming for an October release and are in they are currently in the developmental stages as I speak. Since they are able to tell this to me, I assume this news will be told in the next month's issues of anime magazines. Oh, and also, it looks like "Inuyasha" will end on September. On a side note, SEED seemed to have raked in the highest profit that Sunrise has ever seen. Last year's profit earnings went over 9,000,000,000 yen (~USD$90 million) and that both the producer and the director were able to get enough royalties to buy a piece of land and a nice house.

*April is "new students/new employee" season in Japan. Assume that this corporate informational seminar was for prospective employees that sent in their hiring-applications to Sunrise.

My assumption: I could care less. As much as I liked "Gundam SEED," I am in the first-Gundam generation. If true, cool. If not, I still have other animes to watch.

gundam na jutso
2004-04-22, 01:49

Gundam Seed 2???
ARE YUO SAYING WHAT I HOPE YOUR SAYINE THERE GOING TO BE ANOTHER GUNDAM SEDD SEASON. I THINK ITS ALMOST ORGASMIC.

Soseki
2004-04-25, 01:14
eh...Inu Yasha is almost over...
Everyone is seeking the final shard, and they have reached the gates to cross worlds in the anime.

avmoghe
2004-04-25, 02:37
grr... after seeing episode 2... I really really want to kill some people.

I do not even WANT to imagine how much they are going to f**k up Lacus Clyne singing.......

the edits are ridiculous..... why in the heavens name are they showing a show about war on toonami.. and then cutting out the dead bodies...wtf??!?!? and the gunshots???!?!?!?!?

are these people stoned?!

they should keep their filthy hands off violent anime..

let them show stuff like dbz if they really are that desparate to show anime.

Sanjuronord
2004-04-25, 05:17
Admittidly that sound they're using for gunshots is a little silly, sounds like it's going puuchu or something, reminds me of those little cute aliens on excel saga...kinda hard to feel menacing when your gun makes such cute noises...

As for the edits to content, it's annoying but it's not that bad yet. We're not seeing the dead bodies but it's still implied that they've died, or they're off in the corner listening to the aforementioned cute gun noises... When they start cutting out more important deaths it could get really bad. Let's wait till we hear Lacus' voice before we start worrying about her songs.

husyk
2004-04-25, 22:33
Guess its a good thing I can't get Cartoon Network, I loved the subbed version, the dubbed one would have just ruined it for me. Not all english dubbs work out well.

Komataguri
2004-04-25, 22:36
Admittidly that sound they're using for gunshots is a little silly, sounds like it's going puuchu or something, reminds me of those little cute aliens on excel saga...kinda hard to feel menacing when your gun makes such cute noises...

As for the edits to content, it's annoying but it's not that bad yet. We're not seeing the dead bodies but it's still implied that they've died, or they're off in the corner listening to the aforementioned cute gun noises... When they start cutting out more important deaths it could get really bad. Let's wait till we hear Lacus' voice before we start worrying about her songs.

Puchuu Puchuu!! *Smashes little alien*

Little Alien: That breaks a bone! URGH!

X'D Excel Saga Is great, Glad I own the DVD set. Love watching that stuff.

But yah, Gundam SEED is f--ked, I mean, We're talking 3cent hooker with a biological warfare factory brewing in her *blip* screwed.

And god don't make me even think about what they'll do to Lacus. I wub her.

Gundam Seed Dubbers, :fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers:

abubo
2004-04-26, 03:19
I don't mind the voice actors that much, what bothered me was that they killed the OP. Was having Japanese music on TV that much of a bother? That was my only wish, keeping the OP and the ED. I guess they don't think American kiddies would care for TRM and Tamaki Nami. Sigh.

What's going to happen when "Akatsuki no Kuruma" comes on during that great "Escape from Earth" episode? Kill the music? Replace with some English crap? Double Sigh.

Fronzel
2004-04-26, 04:52
They cut the OP and ED for time, not to slap the Japanese in the face (near editless Adult Swim does the same thing, you'll note). I'd bet that this musical number to which you refer will remain.

And unless I recall incorrectly, weren’t there some Japanese vocals during episode 2 which aired just last Saturday?

Suikun
2004-04-26, 08:51
You can accuse Cartoon Network of a lot of things (and I mean a lot) but you simply can't accuse them of not allowing Japanese music on US television when in actuality they, along with Tech TV, are the only networks that allow Japanese music on TV in the US. In Gundam Seed, so far, they've kept the Japanese insert songs fully intact.

And the ending song is done wierdly, but they do leave it in Japanese - in the Japanese version, you start to hear the beginning of the ending song that leads into the ending credits during the last bits of the episode. Cartoon Network always likes to have the episode preview before the ending credits - not after, like they do it in Japan. So, the episode fades out just as you start to hear the ending song in Japanese, then they play the episode preview, then they go back to the ending credits with the song in it's original Japanese language.

Additionally, they've played the Japanese opening for G Gundam, Inuyasha, Gundam 0083, and a few others. Plus, when they aired Rurouni Kenshin, they specifically requested the Japanese version of Heart of the Swords to use during the ending credits, when they could have easily used the English version instead (or just used their own crappy music).

So, I really don't think Cartoon Network has a problem with Japanese music. Not only that, but realize that the first Gundam Seed opening did contain bits of nudity (yeah, it's minor - but still), and even on Adult Swim, that stuff doesn't fly too well. I think that's the main reason they cut the opening, but also anytime the show runs over 23 minutes (yes, 23 - CN has fewer commercials than most networks do) then they cut the opening and make their own due to time constraints. There are some instances where they cut the opening even if it fits under the time limit just fine (Trigun; Outlaw Star) and other times where they've left the original opening even though it went over the time limit (some eps of Bebop run for 24 min 30 sec and they still keep the opening in-tact... although recently they started shortening Real Folk Blues, so I guess that makes up for it).

I'm not trying to defend Cartoon Network, that's for sure - WAY too often do they acquire series outside the scope of their target demographic; like Rurouni Kenshin - they bought it, dumbed it down for 6-11 year olds, and then wondered why only the 12-17 and 18-34 demographics were watching. Obviously, they're doing the same thing with Gundam Seed. The thing that baffles me is - I thought the entire point of putting Toonami on Saturdays and putting Gundam Seed on at 10:30pm - the latest possible time slot without going into Adult Swim - was to be able to get away with fewer edits and target an older audience (their press release back in February said this when they revealed when Gundam Seed would air) but clearly that's not the case. The only reason I can think of as to why Seed is as badly edited as it is is that either Bandai or CN - whoever edited the show for TV - they must not have originally edited the tapes with this "older audience" in mind, and it was too late to go back and re-do it when they announced when it would be airing.

Sanjuronord
2004-04-26, 09:20
And the ending song is done wierdly, but they do leave it in Japanese - in the Japanese version, you start to hear the beginning of the ending song that leads into the ending credits during the last bits of the episode. Cartoon Network always likes to have the episode preview before the ending credits - not after, like they do it in Japan. So, the episode fades out just as you start to hear the ending song in Japanese, then they play the episode preview, then they go back to the ending credits with the song in it's original Japanese language.

Never understood why they'd even want to do that, if you make somebody wait longer to see the next ep preview it'll give you a better chance of holding onto the audience before the post show commercials.

Additionally, they've played the Japanese opening for G Gundam, Inuyasha, Gundam 0083, and a few others. Plus, when they aired Rurouni Kenshin, they specifically requested the Japanese version of Heart of the Swords to use during the ending credits, when they could have easily used the English version instead (or just used their own crappy music).

That alone should quiet anybody that thinks they hate japanese music, same artist as did Invoke for Seed, T.M. Revolution, also they'll probably keep their other song Meteor in ep 26, 29, and 35. Believe it was played in all three of those eps.

So, I really don't think Cartoon Network has a problem with Japanese music. Not only that, but realize that the first Gundam Seed opening did contain bits of nudity (yeah, it's minor - but still), and even on Adult Swim, that stuff doesn't fly too well.
Think it was more for the bouncy boobies than anything...course they're gonna have to cut out a lot of shots of the bridge when archangel takes a hit if they wanna cut all of that. With that whole stupid Janet Jackson thing you had to at least expect an edit of the OP. Not saying it was warranted or anything, just had to expect it given the culture. I mean honestly who gets that upset over a nipple (a 40 some odd year old woman at that)...who hasn';t seen a nipple?

Silver_Scorcher
2004-04-26, 09:23
It's safe to assume that CN did all the editing. From what I'm hearing in this thread, CN is doing the kind of editing that YTV (Canadian version of CN, with no Adult Swim etc etc) would do if they had Gundam SEED. Adult Swim or not, nudity is a no no on North American television (hence dropping the opening), and with all the editing going on here, it's safe to assume that CN will do some heavy editing on Murrue's constantly bouncing breasts and the bedroom scene between Kira and Fllay. Not that anything was shown originally, but chances are, they'll do something. Well I don't really care either way. I don't get CN and I'm patiently waiting for the SEED DVD's (And impatiently waiting for Zeta to come out :mad: ) to come out in September, where there will be no edits to speak of at all. :naughty:

Komataguri
2004-04-26, 10:52
Its not even nudity, Its just an outline more or less. Very little detail.

Suikun
2004-04-26, 11:08
Its not even nudity, Its just an outline more or less. Very little detail.Well, yeah, and I'm not saying the removal of the opening for this reason is really warranted - I don't see why America has to have such a huge hang-up about nudity. But at the same time, think of all the parents of 9-14 year olds that you know - now, how would they react if they're kids saw thse bouncing, zero-gravity boobs on a cartoon - even if it's just an outline? Well, that's the reaction Cartoon Network has to keep in mind. I don't agree with it, but if CN doesn't even show nudity on Adult Swim (they didn't even keep the robo-nudity in Animatrix two weekends ago on Adult Swim) then you can't expect them to in a show airing during a pre-Adult Swim block.

It's not really CN's fault so much as it is just the fault that this country has soo many problems with nudity that they have to edit it out or they'd likely get into some trouble. All it takes is one threatening soccer mom calling in (who can't explain why their 7 year old son was up watching TV at 10:30) and CN gets into trouble.

Silver_Scorcher
2004-04-26, 13:15
Well, yeah, and I'm not saying the removal of the opening for this reason is really warranted - I don't see why America has to have such a huge hang-up about nudity. But at the same time, think of all the parents of 9-14 year olds that you know - now, how would they react if they're kids saw thse bouncing, zero-gravity boobs on a cartoon - even if it's just an outline? Well, that's the reaction Cartoon Network has to keep in mind. I don't agree with it, but if CN doesn't even show nudity on Adult Swim (they didn't even keep the robo-nudity in Animatrix two weekends ago on Adult Swim) then you can't expect them to in a show airing during a pre-Adult Swim block.

It's not really CN's fault so much as it is just the fault that this country has soo many problems with nudity that they have to edit it out or they'd likely get into some trouble. All it takes is one threatening soccer mom calling in (who can't explain why their 7 year old son was up watching TV at 10:30) and CN gets into trouble.

It's not so much the nudity, but the violence as well. Sometime down the road Gundam SEED, gets pretty gory too. Where certain characters get impailed and decapitated and soldiers and MS pilots literally explode. That is going to be edited as well in some way. Despite the fact that it is shown late at night, we're forgetting that this is North America, and in Canada and the U.S, sex, nudity blood & gore is a no no on a network that is geared at youth. While that stuff may not bother most of us, it will bother the parents, and the last thing CN wants is to get there asses sued or whatever. If you don't like it, just wait for the DVD's to come out in September. Everything there will be left intact and un-edited.

nyc_l3oy
2004-06-26, 22:08
Do you think gundam seed is good or bad? why?

Lord Raiden
2004-06-26, 22:12
1. Yes, it's awesome.
2. It's licenced.
3. This should be in the licenced and dvd forum.

^_^

Ciroth
2004-06-26, 23:49
4) Cartoon Network's English Dubbed one is painful to watch ^^... esp the LACUS song dubs during the show >.<...
5) Kick@$$ gundam designs xD... in the later half of the seris that is xD

method
2004-06-27, 12:17
4) Cartoon Network's English Dubbed one is painful to watch ^^... esp the LACUS song dubs during the show >.<...
5) Kick@$$ gundam designs xD... in the later half of the seris that is xD

I take it you haven't seen the other gundam series mecha designs. Most of the later designs are some of Okawara's worst work.

Sanjuronord
2004-06-27, 16:03
I take it you haven't seen the other gundam series mecha designs. Most of the later designs are some of Okawara's worst work.
Exactly which gundams are you referring to? I loved both Justice and Freedom. The druggie trio had wierd, but interesting, gundams. The only gundam that I never took to was the Providence(?) gundam but we only got to see it for like two full eps.

method
2004-06-27, 18:05
Freedom was a cross between Wing Zero and Gundam Double X.
Justice mimiced Gengaozo from Victory.
Calamity went the overkill route with all the guns.
Forbidden, I just hated that energy deflector.
Raider was almost exactly like Airmaster from Gundam X. Did it really need a cannon in its mouth. That is something I would expect to see in G gundam.

Ranko
2004-07-24, 21:56
Since the Gseed fourm vanished

okay first Fllay's dub voice makes me hate her even more

and in what episode what that (implyed) sex sceen that raised uproar even in japan?

Sanjuronord
2004-07-24, 22:06
Believe that would be the very next episode, or at least it should be. :heh:

Pepperidge
2004-07-25, 00:03
I don't think it actually was an uproar... just sensationalized in the media a bit.

The "notorious" episode is supposed to air next week. I don't know what's going to happen, but William's Street did say that they intend to slip a few TV-PG rated episodes into the Toonami line-up, so perhaps this will be one of them?

Kyuven
2004-07-25, 02:12
the preview clip showed a hint of the scene (mostly Fllay's legs wrapped in a blanket though)
it's pretty hard to dance around that scene i'm guessing...either show it or alter/delete the episode...and if they did that...
well, we all remember Outlaw Star

Silver_Scorcher
2004-07-26, 09:19
This was probably brought up before but anyways. I'm almost certain CN will edit out the notorious bed scene between Kira & Fllay. CN has edited SEED to the point that it's suitable for 8 year olds, so they'll edit it in some way. My advice is to just get the DVD's. They're unedited and my belief is the DUB will be slightly, that's right, slightly better.

Melazoma
2004-07-26, 09:52
I'll say it again... I'm glad that I don't pay for cable. But I'm glad that I pre-ordered my copy of the limted edition of Gundam Seed Vol. 1 with box :) It'll get shipped as early as August 1st to cover for the 5-10 day shipping (free) I used.

And I encourage every last person who has seen this show on fansub to get it. The standard edition is MSRP 29.99, but only a fool (or a rich fool :)) pays retail. Look and compare (I'm not sure blatantly promoting the same DVD e-tailer here over and over is a good idea ;))and you can find price(s) as low as $17.99 plus free shipping.

This DVD has 5(Five) episodes on the disc and all with original Japanese audio and a dub track if that's your thing. There really isn't a reason not to get this if you've liked this show when you watched it on fansub. :)

Pepperidge
2004-07-26, 23:27
It's safe to assume that CN did all the editing. From what I'm hearing in this thread, CN is doing the kind of editing that YTV (Canadian version of CN, with no Adult Swim etc etc) would do if they had Gundam SEED. Adult Swim or not, nudity is a no no on North American television (hence dropping the opening), and with all the editing going on here, it's safe to assume that CN will do some heavy editing on Murrue's constantly bouncing breasts and the bedroom scene between Kira and Fllay. Not that anything was shown originally, but chances are, they'll do something. Well I don't really care either way. I don't get CN and I'm patiently waiting for the SEED DVD's (And impatiently waiting for Zeta to come out :mad: ) to come out in September, where there will be no edits to speak of at all. :naughty:

Uhh, YTV have never themselves edited a single program they have ever aired. They've aired a LOT of things uncut over the years and you may be surprised with what they've been able to get away with. They've aired MTV's Oddities, Aeon Flux, Stressed Eric, Endless Waltz, and Inuyasha all completely uncut. (And keep in mind that Inuyasha is actually targeted at children and isn't aired with any disclaimers, unlike in the US where they appear to be required.) Not to mention quite a few movies with language up to and including the word "fuck".

Remember that Canada and the US are different - we don't have watchdog censorship like they have in the US. I strongly believe that YTV and Teletoon are both completely capable of airing Gundam SEED uncut before 10:00pm with a 14+ rating, bouncing boobies and all. The ZAFT soldiers being popped like zits near the end is just about the only thing in the entire series that would so much as raise an eyebrow from either network, and even that would be far from unairable.

-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
2004-07-27, 00:00
Personally i find the americans too naive. They say TV promotes violence and yet they sleep with automatic rifles under their beds....

Roots
2004-07-27, 03:41
Personally i find the americans too naive. They say TV promotes violence and yet they sleep with automatic rifles under their beds....

Did you watch Bowling for Columbine? :) Don't worry not all American's are gun fanatics (I'm not). But watching that film seriously scared me. :uhoh:

Anyways, yeah Gundam Seed is kewl! :heh: If my income ever exceeds my expenses, then I'll pick up the DVDs (along with Hajime no Ippo!).

method
2004-07-27, 10:33

That's not entirely true. There are two different cultures that exist in America concerning guns and violence on tv. The gun culture in America is not the ones that are spouting off that violence on tv causes kids to go out and kill. The group that says that violence is bad is a small part of the landscape, but is very vocal in getting their agenda out.

-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
2004-07-27, 10:40
Well I meant to generalize...sorry if the stereotype was a little exaggerated. But after I watched Bowling for Columbine...I felt that Americans were a little abusive of the freedom given to them...

Shino~
2004-07-27, 11:42
which ep was the sex scene? i wanna see if i have it lol

method
2004-07-27, 22:39
Americans are not that abusive with the 2nd amendment as you would think. Oh well that is for another topic and another day. The bedroom scene is scheduled for next week on CN.

Also Gunota has an avi of the Destiny Commercial.
http://ranobe.com/up2/updata/up7817.zip.html

viperlance
2004-08-03, 02:45
I think this is the best gundam series ever! My opinion might be wrong though because I am a newbie at this thing. I have watched so far
GGundam(finished)
Gundam wing(finished)
Gundam wing endless sonata
Gundam0078
Gundam XX unfinished due to the fact that the series has not been subbed completely.

Currently D/Ling victory gundam.

I am not going to watch the gundam sd for I consider those series as a disgrace to the gloriuous gundam series.

My question is what other gundam series am I missing? I know that there is supposed to be gundam ZZ but it is a bit old so I am not really interested.

Also lets discuss about gundamSEED!! :) I love this series, I hate Fleyy though! I really hate her! I also think that Kira was a moron should he choose Fleyy over "the pink princess" :)

Leo_Otaku
2004-08-03, 02:52
I Love Gundam SEED it is my favorite. If you finish watching you will find out more about Gundam Seed and who Kira choose. And yes Fleyy sucks ass IMO. Are you watching this series in Japanese or English?

Deadmansl
2004-08-03, 02:53
Does this belong here? you know since Seed is licensed and stuff and most of Gundam series are licensed? :hmm: 0083 MS team is good too

FlyByNite
2004-08-03, 18:25
Well the "sex scene" episode between Fllay and Kira came and went and what CN/Bandai whoever did to edit was pretty sneaky actually.

They editing the scene in such a way as to make the casual observer think Fllay is actually in her own room. You never see her and Kira in the same shot.

So to sum it up.

It's ok for a 16 year old to kill other people.
It's not ok for a 16 year old to have sex.

Thank you Cartoon Network. :D

Pepperidge
2004-08-03, 20:46
However, if you look carefully you'll still see Flay's clothes and shoes in Kira's room as he's putting his pants on.

It still irks me that they just didn't air the episode with a TV-PG. It would've run uncut then.

*sigh* I'm still praying for an uncut Canadian broadcast, though...

srb
2004-08-04, 08:55
Fllay is actually my favourite character in SEED, although she's grossly under-developed. She could have been something truly unique.

And SD Gundam isn't a disgrace, it's a tribute. Original voice actors and all. With your limited knowledge of the Universal Century series I wouldn't recommend it though, plenty of the characters and situations would be lost on you.

Really bloody funny though.

"Oh no! It's the Nu Gundam from the movie!!"

Melazoma
2004-08-05, 14:35
R1 Gundam SEED DVD Vol. 2 and Vol. 3 will be released on 10/12/2004 and will feature 5 Episodes each MSRP'ed at $29.98. Once again, shop around and the prices you find will be very, very affordable.

Now that's what I call a speedy release :) Hooray for Bandai!

Kyoji
2004-08-05, 15:35
I think this is the best gundam series ever! My opinion might be wrong though because I am a newbie at this thing. I have watched so far
GGundam(finished)
Gundam wing(finished)
Gundam wing endless sonata
Gundam0078
Gundam XX unfinished due to the fact that the series has not been subbed completely.

Currently D/Ling victory gundam.

I am not going to watch the gundam sd for I consider those series as a disgrace to the gloriuous gundam series.

My question is what other gundam series am I missing? I know that there is supposed to be gundam ZZ but it is a bit old so I am not really interested.

Also lets discuss about gundamSEED!! :) I love this series, I hate Fleyy though! I really hate her! I also think that Kira was a moron should he choose Fleyy over "the pink princess" :)

SD Gundam is amazing, it is one of the best things you'll see, aslong as we're not talking about superior defender (shudder :uhoh: )
the OLD SD (super deformed) gundam rocks, stay away from superior defender!

you made a few mistakes in your gundam series titles ;)

G Gundam is good, Victory is good, 0079 is good, X is alright (good :D)
Seed was a big letdown, Wing i cant really say (couldnt bring myself to watch it all) Endless waltz was mediocre, nothing special, but Sandrock Kai looked good.
You should watch Zeta, it's nice

(bad grammar in my post!! I'm too lazy to fix!)

ShinDragon
2004-08-05, 15:57
And SD Gundam isn't a disgrace, it's a tribute. Original voice actors and all. With your limited knowledge of the Universal Century series I wouldn't recommend it though, plenty of the characters and situations would be lost on you.

I think the SD he was talking about = "Superior Defender" not the "Super Deformed".
Lot of ppl got confused since they were both called "S.D. Gundam"

Silver_Scorcher
2004-08-05, 16:28
I was wondering how Bandai would handle the release of a 50 episode TV series, and this completely caught me by surprise. According to Anime On DVD, SEED volumes 2 & 3 will be released at the same time in October. Usually Bandai releases a volume of a series every other month, so while it is the same case here, I wasn't expecting them to dish out two volumes at once. Maybe now that SEED Destiny is coming soon, Bandai wants to get the first series out of the way so that they can get started on Destiny ASAP. If this is why, then Bandai may end up "officially" licensing Destiny half way through its run.

Suikun
2004-08-09, 12:35
I'm not completely familiar with Gundam Seed, and I've gotta' say I find myself quite confused suddenly about what fits where with all the specials and stuff; there's the Astray stuff (red frame and blue frame?), the specials, and this "After Phase" thing, and then (the sequel?) Destiny.

So... aside from the 50 episode TV series, could someone give me a quick rundown of all the specials, what they are, and where they fit in/when they should be watched?

Silver_Scorcher
2004-08-09, 23:56
I'm not completely familiar with Gundam Seed, and I've gotta' say I find myself quite confused suddenly about what fits where with all the specials and stuff; there's the Astray stuff (red frame and blue frame?), the specials, and this "After Phase" thing, and then (the sequel?) Destiny.

So... aside from the 50 episode TV series, could someone give me a quick rundown of all the specials, what they are, and where they fit in/when they should be watched?

Alright. The specials are merely rehashes of the original story. Each one is a little less than an hour with a couple of redone/new scenes. Personally I think your better off with the original 50 episodes. The after phase is a 5 minute OVA that takes place after the 50th episode. Now the Astray's are based on the Astray manga which takes place during the SEED TV series. The two promos are sort of based on that but focus more on the MSV (Mobile Suit Variations) which have MS that didn't make it into the original series and IMO look much better than whats shown in the series. It doesn't link up with the original series, so you can watch that anytime. Only if your strapped for time do I recommend watching the specials. And then obviously after you've watched the series, watch the 5 min OVA.

Suikun
2004-08-10, 08:12
Thanks - that helps alot! ;)

DNE
2004-08-10, 10:17
By far the best Gundam series ive seen so far :D

foxdie
2004-09-08, 01:58
Ok, I know there must be dozens of Seed treads so that's why I'm posting this as a quick question. The search would be a bit much:)

Is Seed watchable if you've never followed a Gundam series. I like to try some Gundam but I don't know if it makes sense to start here (and older series just look ....old).

Panon
2004-09-08, 21:30
Ok, I know there must be dozens of Seed treads so that's why I'm posting this as a quick question. The search would be a bit much:)

Is Seed watchable if you've never followed a Gundam series. I like to try some Gundam but I don't know if it makes sense to start here (and older series just look ....old).

Absolutely.

SEED was made with the exact goal of being a starting point for newer fans.

Roots
2004-09-08, 22:33
FYI: I started with Gundam Wing. Seed was my 2nd Gundam series. And I'm too stubborn to go back and watch 80's Gundam anime. :bash:

foxdie
2004-09-09, 03:35
Thanx, just what I needed to know, I''ll look them up then. :D

chimuikuzeru
2004-09-25, 20:34
R1 Gundam SEED DVD Vol. 2 and Vol. 3 will be released on 10/12/2004 and will feature 5 Episodes each MSRP'ed at $29.98. Once again, shop around and the prices you find will be very, very affordable.

Now that's what I call a speedy release :) Hooray for Bandai!

where can u get these for that price? what online store has those that isn't a crappy fansub bootleg. help please! :thinker:

Roots
2004-09-25, 21:12
where can u get these for that price? what online store has those that isn't a crappy fansub bootleg. help please! :thinker:

The answer to that question is always BestPrices.com (http://www.bestprices.com). All of their Gundam Seed DVDs and pre-orders are currently selling for $17.56. :D

Melazoma
2004-09-25, 22:08
The answer to that question is always BestPrices.com (http://www.bestprices.com). All of their Gundam Seed DVDs and pre-orders are currently selling for $17.56. :DYes, but you pay shipping, which brings you to $19.54 per DVD if you were to order the two Gundam SEED volumes in question.

where can u get these for that price? what online store has those that isn't a crappy fansub bootleg. help please! :thinker:Check out:

Gundam SEED Vol. 2 (http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=BAN026001) $17.99
Gundam SEED Vol. 3 (http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=BAN026002) $17.99

Deepdiscount DVD gives free shipping in the U.S. and sells only legtimate R1s.
So much for $29.99--that number means only one thing to me, no deal. :)

For general advice in Anime DVD shopping, visit:
The Anime On DVD Forum (http://forums.animeondvd.com/)

Oh and you were looking for the entire Cardcaptor Sakura Series on [legitimate] DVD? The Right Stuf International (http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/fD9jSM43wzbRPjyvQu/browse/category/4/0/0) has a Geneon Studio Sale going right now until Sunday the 26th. Use the sale along with their frequent buyer's program, you can get about $18.07 per DVD on the most of Geneon/Pioneer library, which includes CCS. But that can get a little expensive if you want the whole CCS series. The Right Stuff also has some bundle sales(the entire Kino no Tabi series for $55, about $80+ worth in retail) and some pretty amazing weekly specials like the Full Metal Panic! Vol. 1 + Artbox for $15 (they sell for about $35 in retailers like Best Buy.) for this week.

Or you can hunt eBay, many good deals on legit, albeit older (2002-2003) R1 Anime DVDs can be found if you look carefully. One of the better ways to look for individual volumes of legit DVDs is to put "vol" along with your search term, i.e. "Cardcaptor Sakura Vol" as your search term. That'll filter out most of the bootlegs because most of the bootlegs don't have "volumes."

It takes a little patience shopping around but it will trim your bottom line significantly. Good luck hunting! :)

srb
2004-09-25, 23:06
FYI: I started with Gundam Wing. Seed was my 2nd Gundam series. And I'm too stubborn to go back and watch 80's Gundam anime. :bash:

Well, Z has above-standard animation for its time. Perhaps you should wait for the Z movie trilogy, the first one premieres in a month or so at some film festival in Tokyo.

Besides, old animation is not a very valid reason not to watch anything. Heck, Akira and Macross: DYRL are two of the best-looking anime movies there are and they are from the 80's :P

Victory is from 1993 though, so you can't escape! Watch it :D

chimuikuzeru
2004-09-28, 16:41
The answer to that question is always BestPrices.com (http://www.bestprices.com). All of their Gundam Seed DVDs and pre-orders are currently selling for $17.56. :D

are those the gundam seed special editions???? i couldn't find it on that site.

Melazoma
2004-09-29, 07:35
are those the gundam seed special editions???? i couldn't find it on that site.And paying shipping charges, here they are:

Gundam SEED Vol. 1 with Limited Edition Artbox + Soundtrack CD (http://www.bestprices.com/cgi-bin/vlink/669198260100IE.html) $29.27 (MSRP $49.98)
Gundam SEED Vol. 2 (Pre-Order, 10/12/2004) (http://www.bestprices.com/cgi-bin/vlink/669198260018IE.html) $17.56 (MSRP $29.98)
Gundam SEED Vol. 3 (Pre-Order, 10/12/2004) (http://www.bestprices.com/cgi-bin/vlink/669198260025IE.html) $17.56 (MSRP $29.98)

And there are two more (Vol. 4 and Vol. 5) that you can find in most online retailers. So far, there's been no announcement of any limted/special edition pack-ins for Gundam SEED beyond the Vol. 1 + LE Artbox + CD. A bit of a downer if you ask me, but it's not a deal killer and I'm pre-ordering Gundam SEED as they come out. :)

R-S-W-E
2004-10-13, 19:39
hey guys.... i was wondering...what's the name of Ray's lover? you know, the girl who co-pilot Ray's TMF A803... (i went the official site but damn i can't read katakana yet)

and does anyone know where to get wallpapers that has her in them?

F!reStr!fe
2004-10-15, 12:40
OMG a Gundam forum im gonna have a heart attack..... I love this series :love:

This rox im gonna be here often :innocent: :D

MugenIchiban
2004-10-16, 19:21
Hi this maybe a stupid question but its been buggin me. What is the correct way of spelling Lacus Clyde before it got licensed? I seen Rakusu Klein before and on the Gundam Seed site I translated her name to Rakusu Kuraiso.

Thanks

brightman
2004-10-16, 20:08
Hi this maybe a stupid question but its been buggin me. What is the correct way of spelling Lacus Clyde before it got licensed? I seen Rakusu Klein before and on the Gundam Seed site I translated her name to Rakusu Kuraiso.

Thanks

The official Japanese romanji spelling was Lacus Clyne... The official Bandai Ent spelling is Lacus Clyne. There is no change (you see her name spelled out that way in Ep 35)

ThoHell
2007-12-09, 02:19
So like Gundam Seed the movie is coming out in 2008! Does anyone know when exactly? I'm pretty interested and excited, Gundam Seed was the best out of all the series and can't get enough. They hasn't been a solid conclusion yet, hopefully this movie will have one!

Obi-Wan
2007-12-09, 04:11

Thanks

I agree that some of the Seed character names are pretty dumb, but contending that their romanized spellings are better/correct five years after it came out is probably on an equal level of dumbness. The English version names do a good enough job of taking whack spellings like "Ssigh" and "Raww" and turning them into a pill that's easier to swallow.

ThoHell
2007-12-09, 11:11
I agree that some of the Seed character names are pretty dumb, but contending that their romanized spellings are better/correct five years after it came out is probably on an equal level of dumbness. The English version names do a good enough job of taking whack spellings like "Ssigh" and "Raww" and turning them into a pill that's easier to swallow.

Yeah same, a lot of anime characters who have English words for names sound a little tacky. To a person who isn't an English speaker and know exactly how the word is suppose to be used or it's context, I suppose it does sound good to the ear. Not trying to be bias or anything, just saying. Some of the words used as names are words that stand out or impactial when spoken but fairly poorly as names.

[UKE]Auel
2007-12-10, 06:18

Just be thankful we didn't get Kirra or Lacuss.

Sir Dearka
2007-12-11, 18:05
Wow... reading this whole discussion about English CN dub, I felt so lucky having all 50 eps on DVD with Japanese audio :)

As for series itself, I just love it how they try to make more and more money from it. Even Miguel, who has, like, no more than 10 minutes of screentime, has his own figures and custom ginn sold by Bandai. :lol:

D-KLAC
2007-12-11, 20:17
well GS series english dub came from the ocean group dubbing.

besides GS english dub was seen in many places in the world & dvd but GSD english was heard on dvd & phils (ya pinoy anime fans).

ila-chan
2007-12-14, 15:42
Hey, in my place you can watch the dubbed anime having the same VA over and over again... Imagine, the same guy playing Kira, then some guy in Ultraman, then Yuki Sohma (fruitsbasket)...the list goes on....

Thank god, they didn't dubbed Suzumiya Haruhi; or I'll truly killed myself.

BTW, yes, the eng dubs sucks.

D-KLAC
2007-12-14, 19:51
Hey, in my place you can watch the dubbed anime having the same VA over and over again... Imagine, the same guy playing Kira, then some guy in Ultraman, then Yuki Sohma (fruitsbasket)...the list goes on....

do you have problem with the ocean group?

well geez here a list of their dubbing anime series http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=38 unless you have a canada problem?

ila-chan
2007-12-15, 05:25
Sorry.... I'm no Canadian.... I'm refering to the series dubbed in my native language. It's not english btw..... But, it's just my opinion. The english dub does sucks (for me).

D-KLAC
2007-12-15, 13:11
Sorry.... I'm no Canadian.... I'm refering to the series dubbed in my native language. It's not english btw..... But, it's just my opinion. The english dub does sucks (for me).

what you want the japanese or philippines dub of GS series?

besides unless you can youtube or livevideo or veoh or even ganges to find a different language GS?

Eidolon Sniper
2007-12-17, 04:37
X______x Philippine and English dub...i dunno. Lacus' voice is very miscast in the Philippine dub, she sounds like she's 20+ rather than 16. Also, Philippine edited Shizukana yoru ni...:twitch:

I prefer Japanese original voices all the way.

Also, one thing I like about Philippine dub SEED, we don't have disco guns. :D

D-KLAC
2007-12-17, 11:42
yeah no disco guns in phils!!!

& besides why would u.s. tv networks need "disco guns" this is not the 70s unless because of GS time era ce 71.

cause of u.s. edits & disco guns u.s. tv screw GS.

it's rather better get the dvd or watch GS series in other countries

bbduece
2008-01-08, 04:09
this is one of my favorite anime series (not just gundam series), so easy to get attach to most of the characters, plot and character developement is just the best all around, good friends force to do battle is catchy, and having kira's love of a girl used against him is something i dont see a lot happening in anime which is extremely gripping....i just love this show

my 1st time rewatching it since its broadcast, thats why i'm posting right now

ps i started watching anime in other dub languages and now i cant stand it, has to be SUBBED......all dubs takes the magic out of the anime for me

Zenemis
2008-01-08, 06:19
The English dub for SEED was excellent, in my opinion.

Don't get me started on the crying, in Japanese.

Sir Dearka
2008-01-08, 10:49
I hated English dubbing. But the cry in Japanese version was indeed quite disturbing :D

Eidolon Sniper
2008-01-09, 21:39
Well, I cringed when Son Goku (Saiyuki = VA'd by Hoshi) cries, so I guess it's pretty much the same for Kira....:heh:

Shinn_Kabuto
2008-01-09, 21:45

Yep. Matt Hill as Kira sucks. Except Matthew Erickson as Shinn and Samuel Vincent as Athrun.

And about the dub of Haruhi Suzumiya, it really rocks, especially Johnny Yong Bosch.;)

Sir Dearka
2008-01-13, 15:07
I liked the idea of 4 Gundams fighting against 1. For Strike it was like an unequal race for freedom, with the constant menace and sense of threat from Aegis, Blitz, Buster and Duel. That really created suspense and acted as great action engine for the first part of the show.

D-KLAC
2008-01-13, 22:22
Yep. Matt Hill as Kira sucks. Except Matthew Erickson as Shinn and Samuel Vincent as Athrun.

And about the dub of Haruhi Suzumiya, it really rocks, especially Johnny Yong Bosch.;)

well i did checking of those 3 english dubber & besides there voice is ok besides i mostly remember kira's english back in the 90s as Ryo Sanada while shinn's english aka van from zoids while athrun's english well it some how always get different from GS to hikaru no go cause his voice sound different.

Sir Dearka
2008-01-13, 23:49
I wonder then, fellow SEED fans, what drove you to the series? First thing that really got to me, was, I admit, the music. The dynamic opening was kinda ok to me, but something moved within me when I heard Asuran and Kira theme for the first time during Yamato's flashback, and then, at the end, the first notes of See-Saw's ending song just enthralled me. Later, the series, even as it entered its a bit disappointing Destiny phase, never really disappointed me in terms of music.

And then, the plot - as I love the concept of two dear friends thrown apart by war, I immediately fell in love with the show's main storyline. And then the question of racism and tollerance... Love, hate and friendship caught in the frame of a great cosmic conflict... the only Gundam series I'd ever watched at that time was Gundam Wing which somehow did not have much emotional impact on me. But SEED really touched the string so, as a fan of all kinds of emotional, epic, dramatic sagas, I just got carried away by Fukuda's great improvisation ('cause I think he improvised during the course of the show... a LOT :P).

And the series' Dearka Elthman became my favorite anime character of all time. Mostly because he surprised me with his character development (again, thank you, bad Buster sales and thank you, Fukuda's knack for improvising ;)). And I liked this switch of sides. A "bad guy" that betrayed his cause when he realized that he is deceived and that he's not fighting for the world he thought would be so happy for him and his fellows. From an arrogant bastard, he became a modest and more noble person without losing his cockiness and confidence. Well, I found it to be just too cool :)

He was one of those characters that really learned to observe in order to
UNDERSTAND and was not scared to change his ideals when he felt deep in his heart that they're not right.

I have so many words of praise and details I could wrote, but I think it is enough for now, hehe.

---

So, what did YOU like in the show, fellow SEED fans? :P

Cherudim Arche
2008-01-14, 00:13
Music from See-Saw

I did like the fights in the beginning for they actually use tactics at least.

4Tran
2008-01-14, 00:38
If we're talking just about Seed, the biggest draw for me would have to be the characterization. I found most of the characters to be interesting (with the exception of Lacus and Rau): from the adults, Murrue and Roy Mwu, etc. to the younger cast, like Cagalli and Sai. Moreover, Seed has probably my favorite character of all Gundam shows.

Next, I think that a lot of the dramatic moments in the show worked very well. The early going was the weakest in this regard, but we still saw some pretty impressive stuff like Yzak shooting down the shuttle and Fllay's "seduction" of Kira.

Finally, we have the wonderful "Akatsuki no Kuruma". This background music is one of the very best mood-setting pieces that I've heard in anime, and it made me a fan of both Kajiura (Heard'em all :)) Yuki and Nanri Yuuka (who won't be working on Gunslinger Girl 2, darn it).

Sir Dearka
2008-01-14, 06:55
Moreover, Seed has probably my favorite character of all Gundam shows.
Which one would it be? :)

Akatsuki no Kuruma... yeah, it was very intense. If we're talking about a particular piece of music, my personal favorite is Enrai ~Tooku ni Aru Akari~. I kinda like its more heavy guitar riffs with the silk touch of female vocal. That's basically the same reason why I also really loved the new opening and ending of Gundam 00.

4Tran
2008-01-14, 08:39
Which one would it be? :)
It's Fllay. :)

Sir Dearka
2008-01-14, 10:03
It's Fllay. :)
:D Now, you really surprised me there :D

Spitfire
2008-01-14, 11:01
:D Now, you really surprised me there :D

Why? Because he likes the only truly interesting character in the series?

Sir Dearka
2008-01-14, 11:05
Why? Because he likes the only truly interesting character in the series?
Nope. Because he likes the character which tends to annoy many people. But I am not one of them. I liked Fllay and her contribution to the plot. Without her, it'd not be an interesting a show as it is. :D

Spitfire
2008-01-14, 11:09
Nope. Because he likes the character which tends to annoy many people. But I am not one of them. I liked Fllay and her contribution to the plot. Without her, it'd not be an interesting a show as it is. :D

I too, thought she did bring a large, important part to the series. I would agree with you. Without Fllay, Seed would have been boring a hell.

Sir Dearka
2008-01-14, 11:12
Well, I admit that without her I don't know if SEED would even keep me THAT interested during the first episodes of the show. But I really couldn't say how would I feel about the series in general with such a change.

EDIT: Also, I look at the whole character cast i n a different light than you. Well, one could really just tell it by looking at my nick, I suppose.

bbduece
2008-01-14, 19:47
i dont like fllay either but her contribution to the plot is a must.... a portion of GS's greatness was due to her contribution, but her character is too psycho and did some damage to kira which kept me on edge and it was great, the whole cast created a nice balance of drama, emotion and craziness, nothing out there gave me this kinda of ride and thats why GS is so great in my book

GSD fail at connecting me with the new cast on the level GS did, the magic of the orignal cast made the new cast more like 2nd tier characters and even though they are in the spot light throughout most of GSD i am still thinking about the archangel crew and the original zaft crew, thus i cant fully appreciate the crew of the minerva, another thing is: i witness a naive kira yamato mature into a full fledge battle hardened super pilot which over shadow the cocky and rageful shinn asuka.....shinn was kinda likeable every now and then but sometimes some of his action and complaints really deviated him from being a extremely likeable protagonist...the cast and flow of GSD did not surpass GS in anyway which in turn made me feel GSD is inferior to GS......

However GSD did maintain a continuation of GS and provide ample 'fan service reference' to the original story which is what i need the most from a season 2.....coo characters came back, originals characters showing improve character maturity - although some became weak and puppet-ish which got on my nerves -, more emotional and memorable moments was created as expected of the Seed universe, seeing some of the realationship blossom while others are on a brink of disaster, a love triangle develope which is interesting, another tragic love relationship was expose and many things that kept me interested...... GSD was enjoyable but not perfect and definitely inferior to GS...unlike GSD, GS has true greatness which not many stories out there can compete with

Sir Dearka
2008-01-14, 20:58
And in SEED there was no such overload of Gundams as in Destiny. As I saw someone mentioning it in another topic, The new Gundam (Freedom) really appeared around episode 35. Up until then it was just the five cool mechas and my favorite 1 vs 4 configuration. GSD introduced way to many machines. Even grunts were piloting Gundam-like mechas. The super MSes did not seem that exceptional anymore. Technology is progressing way too fast in CE :D