PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy Railway

kamij0
2003-11-19, 01:06
:stupid: is there anyone who watch this animation ... i think this animation is one of the best i ever watch ..the 1st episode really tears me up.. wonder how the story will go about :twitch:

Kamui4356
2003-11-19, 01:36
I saw ep 1, and I have ep 2. I liked it, but it hasn't been a priority for me to watch. Unfortunatly a series like this is going to be ignored since there are so many other good series this season. I'm sure a lot of people who would be discussing it in the forum (like me) are too busy with KGNE, Shingetutan Tsukihime, and Full metal alchemist, as well as other, better known series/

kamij0
2003-11-19, 01:44
I saw ep 1, and I have ep 2. I liked it, but it hasn't been a priority for me to watch. Unfortunatly a series like this is going to be ignored since there are so many other good series this season. I'm sure a lot of people who would be discussing it in the forum (like me) are too busy with KGNE, Shingetutan Tsukihime, and Full metal alchemist, as well as other, better known series/

too bad man .. i've been watching the other animes as well ... and yet so far galaxy railway does really shows that is very unique ... hmm a train that can travel in space..
hey .. it does look like an old anime right .. is it a remake ?? and the cool hairstyles they got ... 70s man ...

:bash:

Lord Raiden
2003-11-19, 02:48
I dropped it after episode 2. I kinda liked it when I saw EP1, but the thing is, I figured it would get a lot better, but then when it tanked in EP2 I just dumped the series entirely as I've already got well over 18 different series I'm following now, down from 25+ at one point, so it's no loss right now.

kamij0
2003-11-19, 03:02
i can wait for episode 2 too ..
need to concentrate on other series..

NoSanninWa
2003-11-19, 03:10
too bad man .. i've been watching the other animes as well ... and yet so far galaxy railway does really shows that is very unique ... hmm a train that can travel in space..
hey .. it does look like an old anime right .. is it a remake ?? and the cool hairstyles they got ... 70s man ...

It isn't exactly a remake, but you're right to notice the 70s style of the animation. It is based on Leiji Matsumoto (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=3138)'s Galaxy Express 999.

Leiji Matsumoto (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=3138) is a legendary anime director. All of his works took place in the same world. You should know the names of them. Captain Harlock, Queen Emereldas, Adieu Galaxy Express 999. These are names of anime legend.

Galaxy Railways takes place in this same world. Although Matsumoto has retired from directing he is the creative supervisor for the show. You can also see his influence in the character designs. I've always thought that his women are some of the most exquisitely beautiful in anime.... in shocking contrast to his rather tough looking or gnomish men.

Don Eunuch
2003-11-19, 03:10
I watched the first episode because it was related to the old series. Can't say I think much of it, quite cliche. Am I supposed to be moved by the first episode?

I don't believe this was written by the previous author. Can someone enlighten me?

NenMaster
2003-11-19, 20:19
i didnt think to much of the 1st ep, i still have more to watch and i hope it gets better

PocariSweat
2003-11-29, 02:39
Had this one sitting on my HD for awhile and finally found the time to start watching it. Pretty good so far - and it sure does keep to the style of the original Galaxy Express 999. Almost overly so in fact - for example, if Leiji Matsumoto was just starting today, I could see his character design being similar, but I wonder if he'd still use all those 1970's hair styles. :)

Also a bit odd - when Manabu grew up and set off to follow in his father and brother's footsteps notice how the train looked like a modern train (instead of a steam locomotive). Think about that for a bit - it's kind of odd to replace one highly anachronistic symbol with a newer anachronism. For example, say you designed a modern ship to look like an old Spanish galleon, but internally it was actually diesel powered. Now some time down the road it's engines are upgraded to more efficient versions - would you then also change the looks to be a 19th century paddle wheel? :)

I guess maybe it's because I thought the original Galaxy Express was made to look like a train because, like a luxury liner, it was all for a sense of atmosphere and to cater to it's rich passenger's whims rather than because they thought it was actually a practical spaceship design. I guess that wasn't it though, since even the military seems to use space trains.

Radd
2003-11-29, 08:28
I'm really digging Galaxy Railways, and I certainly hope it doesn't wind up mostly ignored because I've found it to be quite a bit better than some of the popular anime of the season. Of course, I am a bit biased, being a Matsumoto fan.

As for the military using trains, keep in mind that's only the Galaxy Express defense forces. Other militaries use space battleships like the Yamato, the Death Shadow, the Karyu, and The Queen Emeraldas, etcetera.

Other Matsumoto greats you might be interested in, if you like Galaxy Railways are:

Captain Herlock (Also spelled Harlock in earlier translations). There's a new Herlock OVA directed by Rin Taro coming out from Pioneer soon (or whatever Pioneer's new name is). Also the Herlock movie, one of the most respected anime movies of all time, Arcadia of My Youth, is out on DVD from AnimEigo. I've also heard you can find the translated Herlock manga online.

Space Battleship Yamato, also known as Starblazers. While the uncut, original show is not available in the U.S. (due to the company that owns it only releasing the chopped up Starblazers version) you can get all of the movies from AnimEigo. There's also two new Yamato series coming out, one from Matsumoto himself which is a remake of the original with some name changes and design changes due to legal troubles. The other version is from another guy that owns the rights to the original show, which will retain the original names (probably not the designs though), and be a continuation of the original series....but without the input of Matsumoto who was the main creative force behind the original.

Galaxy Express 999 is the Matsumoto classic most closely related to this current series. There's a couple seasons of GE999 tv series out there I believe, and several movies.

Cosmos Warrior Zero is out on DVD, and while it obviously had a very low budget, it's a fun show. I'd reccomend it to any Matsumoto fans who aren't put off by low quality animation.

Relentless
2003-11-29, 15:08

However, 5, 10 or 20 years from now, we'll still be talking about it the same way we still talk about Harlock, Star Blazers or Galaxy Express 999 while all the unfilling, flashy anime are long forgotten. That's what makes them "classic".

Rather than universes, Matsumoto has characters or archetypes he constanly shuffles around similar themes of sacrifice and heroism. His shorter, literally more "down to earth" characters are your everyman; while his taller and more stylized characters are the heroic, literally "bigger than life" heroes. I find fascinating how he revisits and recreates them, it fits very well his grandiose visions.

Radd already mentioned Matsumoto's better known anime works, there is still more: Gunfrontier, another re-telling of Harlock and Tochiro adventures in a Wild West setting; a series of OVA telling the background on relatively secondary characters like Maetel and Emeraldas. Queen Millenia is not Harlock-related but has all the Matsumoto look and feel. Back in the old days, he created two giant robot anime, Starzinger and Dangard A, but they didn't look too Matsumoto-ish :heh:

There was also a TV series last year, but for the life of me I can't remember the name. I still hope somebody will pick it up and sub it.

a7m4
2003-11-29, 20:31
Space Battleship Yamato, also known as Starblazers. While the uncut, original show is not available in the U.S. (due to the company that owns it only releasing the chopped up Starblazers version) you can get all of the movies from AnimEigo. There's also two new Yamato series coming out, one from Matsumoto himself which is a remake of the original with some name changes and design changes due to legal troubles. The other version is from another guy that owns the rights to the original show, which will retain the original names (probably not the designs though), and be a continuation of the original series....but without the input of Matsumoto who was the main creative force behind the original.

The bootlegs of Uchuu Senkan Yamato have pretty decent subtitles. It is much better than watching a dub only edited version. I don't like to support bootlegs, but its the only way to see the uncut series subbed. The Voyager DVDs are also overpriced and put together horribly.

Rheinhard
2003-11-30, 04:25
The bootlegs of Uchuu Senkan Yamato have pretty decent subtitles. It is much better than watching a dub only edited version. I don't like to support bootlegs, but its the only way to see the uncut series subbed. The Voyager DVDs are also overpriced and put together horribly.

While I agree with you on the Voyager DVD comment (don't get me started on a tear on all the mistakes Voyager has made with the Star Blazers property), don't bag on the Star Blazers dub (at least the original 2 seasons anyway). I think this dub still stands as one of the finest ever done. Some outstanding voice characterization, and an overall strong faithfulness to the original story and intent. Yes, the character names were "Americanized", but considering that the Yamato crew is supposed to be international in nature, I don't consider this a great sin (plus remember, this was done for broadcast TV in 1979, no one then would handle a hero named "Susumu Kodai"...)

But, since this topic is primarily about Galaxy Railways, I wanted to bring up my single beef with the translation/subs I've seen (which otherwise I have enjoyed greatly). In the second episode we learn that Manabu's older brother Mamoru was a member of the "Space Panzer Grenada". (This spelling must be intentional because it is used repeatedly through the episode and continuing into following episodes.)

Sigh. :twitch:

Don't you people know any history? It should be the "Space Panzer GRENADIER"! As this is, after all, a Matsumoto based anime, and Matsumoto-sensei is obviously such a big WW2 history buff, and the name starts with "Panzer", I'd have thought this one wouldn't be too hard to figure out. A quick Google search turned up this (http://www.stormpages.com/garyjkennedy/German/panzer_grenadier_battalion.htm).

Sorry, as something of a history buff and Germanophile, this was a bit of a burr under the saddle of an otherwise great anime and fansub job.

Kamui4356
2003-11-30, 19:53
But, since this topic is primarily about Galaxy Railways, I wanted to bring up my single beef with the translation/subs I've seen (which otherwise I have enjoyed greatly). In the second episode we learn that Manabu's older brother Mamoru was a member of the "Space Panzer Grenada". (This spelling must be intentional because it is used repeatedly through the episode and continuing into following episodes.)

Sigh. :twitch:

Don't you people know any history? It should be the "Space Panzer GRENADIER"! As this is, after all, a Matsumoto based anime, and Matsumoto-sensei is obviously such a big WW2 history buff, and the name starts with "Panzer", I'd have thought this one wouldn't be too hard to figure out.
Sorry, as something of a history buff and Germanophile, this was a bit of a burr under the saddle of an otherwise great anime and fansub job.
I noticed that too. Mistranslations like that are common with fansubbers. Example: in getbackers, a-e keeps translating venus de milo as venus of milo. It's a well known artwork, so you'd think they'd get it right, but no. If the fansubber has no interest in history, you can't really expect them to get grenadier right.
Edit: A-E fixed their translation issue in ep 33 of getbackers, don't really want to blame them for something they realized and fixed.

PocariSweat
2003-11-30, 20:24
I noticed that too. Mistranslations like that are common with fansubbers. Example: in getbackers, a-e keeps translating venus de milo as venus of milo. It's a well known artwork, so you'd think they'd get it right, but no.

I always think it's funny that the hardest part to translate isn't the Japanese, but the "engrish" mixed in with it. It's not just that people lack a historical reference, but language skills alone just aren't enough. I guess it's not too different from how folks mis-hear song lyrics (like CCR's "there's a bad moon on the rise" becomes "there's a bathroom on the right" :) )

Rheinhard
2003-11-30, 21:33
I noticed that too. Mistranslations like that are common with fansubbers. Example: in getbackers, a-e keeps translating venus de milo as venus of milo. It's a well known artwork, so you'd think they'd get it right, but no. If the fansubber has no interest in history, you can't really expect them to get grenadier right.

Well, you know, this leads me to propose an idea I've had running around my head for a while now. I think I'll create a new thread for it... but basically I'd like to set up some sort of assistance reference group, like a mailing list of people with knowledge in various areas, like history, mythology, religion, etc., who are anime fans. The idea would be that if a fansub group encounters some specialized term they didn't know, they could post a question to this group to try to see if they might know. This "Grenadier" question, and your "Venus de Milo" problem are perfect examples of the kinds of problems I'm talking about.

Tofusensei
2003-12-01, 02:32
Hehe, I am the translator of those Galaxy Railways eps, and I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea what Panzer Grenadier is! I just assumed it was Grenada, since that's what it sounds like :X I mean, I figured it was a made up thing... I guarantee 99% of Japanese people watching it would have no idea what it means when they hear it, they just assume it's some random western name.

Anyway, I appreciate the tip, and I'll change it for eps 5+ (just finished translation of ep 8, everyone go bug AonE to finish the work so we can release the rest of the eps >:D)

But yeah, I'd say that as far as anime go, Galaxy Railways is about as difficult as a show can get... They use a lot of hardcore technical jargon that many japanese people don't understand... When I am translating the show, I'm more concerned about getting that stuff right than the proper romanization of some term. :D

The process that I follow whenever there is an unknown romanization term is I check the official website(s), read articles in Newtype Japan, and look in the anime itself for official romanizations... Only if it fails on all of those accounts do I make up a romanization myself...

For future reference, btw, I always encourage people to email me at live_evil_fansubs@hotmail.com with any translation corrections or suggestions... Cosntructive criticism is great :)

-Tofu

Rheinhard
2003-12-01, 03:43
Anyway, I appreciate the tip, and I'll change it for eps 5+ (just finished translation of ep 8, everyone go bug AonE to finish the work so we can release the rest of the eps >:D)

You're welcome Tofu... and as I said, this is a minor historical nitpick on an otherwise great job.

The process that I follow whenever there is an unknown romanization term is I check the official website(s), read articles in Newtype Japan, and look in the anime itself for official romanizations... Only if it fails on all of those accounts do I make up a romanization myself...

Well, this is where the idea I suggested above would come in. As I said, I'd like to try to set up some kind of mailing list or maybe a permanent thread topic on here or something where translators like you could post questions when you've gotten to the end of your rope as you describe above. I have another buddy who is a real history expert and also knows a lot about babylonian mythology (which comes up surprisingly often in anime, from Jushin Lygar to Tezuka's Metropolis). When these kind of difficult romanizations pop up it's possible they're references to areas of knowledge that you, as a translator, might not be familiar with. I think it could help if we set up a way for people like you to ask questions like this. Of course it would also be contingent on getting a few additional people with a broad range of knowledge to volunteer as "helpers"...

JAppi
2003-12-01, 03:44
! *gasp* you're the translator! OMG you are my god. I will worshp you forever.

Hao Asakura
2003-12-01, 04:26

All hails to Tofusensei for his delicate work :bow:
Now let us go and keep bugging on AonE to finish their work :D

Radd
2003-12-01, 04:51
If Anime One is working on the third episode of Macross Zero right now like I hope, then I'm content to wait. I can't wait for the next episode of Galaxy Railways, but Macross Zero only comes out like one episode every 6 months or so.

NenMaster
2003-12-01, 20:02
is it me or does this anime go overboard on the music

PocariSweat
2003-12-01, 20:29

I don't know if I'd call it overboard, but listening to the theme sung in that swaggering "heroic" voice kind of makes me think it's going to be a show about a guy fighting foam rubber monsters in a bug-eyed robot suit - Go Go Ultra-Kikaida-7!! :)

Ulayo
2003-12-01, 21:13

Actually, I think it's kinda cool. :D
It also reminds me of the Starzinger intro (I even think it's the same guy singing it).
Besides, it kinda suits this one. Good space operas are supposed to have these kind of into/outros. :D

Rheinhard
2003-12-02, 02:58
Actually, I think it's kinda cool. :D
It also reminds me of the Starzinger intro (I even think it's the same guy singing it).
Besides, it kinda suits this one. Good space operas are supposed to have these kind of into/outros. :D

Yup! In fact it's documented here on another AnimeSuki Forum thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=1075). It is indeed the master, Isaki Sasao. The man has been a fixture of anime and Tokusatsu film for a generation. Here's his official web page (http://www5c.biglobe.ne.jp/~isao/top.html) (all japanese unfortunately), which has a pic of the Galaxy Railways cd on the front page. Here's a page listing some of his background in English (http://www.japanhero.com/question%20answers/q-10.htm).

NenMaster
2003-12-02, 11:55
Good space operas are supposed to have these kind of into/outros. :D
cant disagree with that :)

Rheinhard
2003-12-18, 02:15
If Anime One is working on the third episode of Macross Zero right now like I hope, then I'm content to wait. I can't wait for the next episode of Galaxy Railways, but Macross Zero only comes out like one episode every 6 months or so.

I take it as testament to my awesome power as the Cosmo-Führer that within about 2 hours of my posting an inquiry on the Live-eviL group forum wondering where the next episode of Galaxy Railways was, that the torrents for episodes 5 and 6 were made available on AnimeSuki. ;)

I promise to only use this power for good.

Legend of Galactic Heroes R1 DVDs! So mote it be! :D

kamij0
2003-12-30, 22:24
any idea how this anime is going to be how long ? seems like there's not much of any development..

SpikeSpencer
2003-12-31, 01:48
i've been real interested in Galaxy Railways, I havent been an Anime fan for long enough(3 years or so) to have appreciated Leiji Matsumoto's stuff. But from watching this, the style made me watch Galaxy Express 999 and Star Blazers...its sad I never had watched these before, I know, regardless I have to thank this new one to making me finally watch them

JAppi
2003-12-31, 08:31
any idea how this anime is going to be how long ? seems like there's not much of any development..

Well the first Galaxy Railways dvd came with a box that holds 5 dvds. So I think it would be safe to assume that it will be 5 dvds long, (dunno how many eps are on a dvd)

Rheinhard
2004-01-01, 22:46

According to my friend in Japan, it is planned to run the usual 26 episodes...

kamij0
2004-01-02, 00:35
According to my friend in Japan, it is planned to run the usual 26 episodes...

thanks for the info. :)
seems the subs come slow, bud i aint complaining much, its a dessert for me, after devouring the main animes. a pretty sweet dessert i would say

Jonus
2004-01-20, 17:41
Has the subbing be dropped by Live eviL?

You can get up to episode 14 as raw version already.

NoSanninWa
2004-01-21, 02:00
:sigh: Please try to search before asking questions. There's been a good deal of chatter on the subject of Live-eviL lately. There is even a thread devoted to them. The summary is simple: NO!

Live-eviL is on vacation until the end of January. They posted this information just before Christmas so that noone would wonder if anything had happened to their group because they aticipated questions like yours.

Jonus
2004-01-21, 10:49
:sigh: Please try to search before asking questions. There's been a good deal of chatter on the subject of Live-eviL lately. There is even a thread devoted to them. The summary is simple: NO!The summery to what? And why are you so unfriendly?

Live-eviL is on vacation until the end of January. They posted this information just before Christmas so that noone would wonder if anything had happened to their group because they aticipated questions like yours.I know that Live-evil is making a pause.

Still they seem to have dropped galaxy railways, because afaik there has been episode 7, 8 and more raw before they began their pause. I could be wrong, just wanted another opinion.

I also read that they plan to fansub the whole galaxy express thing. Well ...

Tofusensei
2004-02-24, 00:56
Well, since the project revived, I figured may as well revive the thread...

To the people following this show, what do you think of the direction it's gone so far? I'm really excited about ep 9 because it is completely different from the rest of the episodes so far. It's an odd show because every episode is so unique and yet somehow repetitive...

Alas, Leiji is still king ^^; And Yuki is hot :P

-Tofu

Rheinhard
2004-02-24, 01:35
I'm very, very happy that subbing of this series has continued.

I am rather less happy that the encoding is being done with the default settings on the latest release of Xvid, which causes major problems for any players or decoders using libavcodec (which seems to be most of them). Check this thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=7964) for details. I hope the sub encoders will consider switching off the setting that is causing all these problems.

Tofusensei
2004-02-24, 01:54
I'm very, very happy that subbing of this series has continued.

I am rather less happy that the encoding is being done with the default settings on the latest release of Xvid, which causes major problems for any players or decoders using libavcodec (which seems to be most of them). Check this thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=7964) for details. I hope the sub encoders will consider switching off the setting that is causing all these problems.

Oh.

I won't use it any more.. hehe ^^;

I've had no issues playing back on windows or unix personally, but I'll take your word for it.

-Tofu

gohmifune
2004-03-07, 08:38
However, 5, 10 or 20 years from now, we'll still be talking about it the same way we still talk about Harlock, Star Blazers or Galaxy Express 999 while all the unfilling, flashy anime are long forgotten. That's what makes them "classic".

Rather than universes, Matsumoto has characters or archetypes he constanly shuffles around similar themes of sacrifice and heroism. His shorter, literally more "down to earth" characters are your everyman; while his taller and more stylized characters are the heroic, literally "bigger than life" heroes. I find fascinating how he revisits and recreates them, it fits very well his grandiose visions.

When talking about character types, you cannot forget about the tall blonde that is always mysterious and is a companion to the hero. Queen Millenia, the Harlock series, Galaxy Express, DNA sights, they all have the beutiful blonde. Bless that man.

And I think Galaxy railways will be another one of him memorable series. IT is one of those things that kind of defines the otaku in a way I believe. To know harlock shows your appreciate for anime, the CN DBZ crowd wouldn't know Harklock. Matsumoto's stuff ends up making anime in general special.

NoSanninWa
2004-03-25, 18:51
I just watched episode 12 of this show and I feel that I have to comment on Galaxy Railways.

At first this show seemed to be a matter of "another episode - another tragedy," but it quickly proved itself greater than that simple formula. Some episodes happened that weren't tragic and other episodes happened that weren't based around missions. Everytime I think that this show is getting stale a new story is told. What this show really seems to be about is illuminating the nature of the human condition. The reason for all the tragedy, is that human nature is frequently tragic.

Now onto something specific. Please don't click on the spoiler tag unless you've already watched episode 12. Reading this spoiler will totally ruin the episode!

I was actually suprised by the ending of this episode. I was all geared up for another tragedy Galaxy Railways style. It honestly wouldn't have been too surpising in this show if the old woman had died of a heart attack on learning of her son's death or else decided to stay on this planet and die with it. That would have been business as usual. Yet this show manages to keep things fresh yet again when we discover that we are actually watching a ghost story. In another anime I would have expected that, but here it was a complete shock. Once again I find myself looking eagerly towards the next episode of Galaxy Railways!

7thMethuselah
2004-03-28, 19:05
Can someone tell me what this series is about, the idea of a train in space seems funny and interesting. I'd like to know if this is an action series or drama and what the story deals with since I'm considering to get it ...

Mr_Paper
2004-03-28, 19:37
Seriously, you'll have to watch it to know if you like it.

Each episode is somewhat different, some filled with action, others drama
and/or romance. If you haven't seen alot of Leiji Matsumoto's works, alot
of it may seem odd but it is a great series.

gohmifune
2004-03-29, 01:37
Basically the show deals with a gropu of individuals who protect the Galaxy Railwayws which are the form of intergalactic transportation. As Paper said, its u ique to Matsumoto, so the idea of the show being about the overall theme of manhood, heroism, strength, courage, humility, those kind of concepts maybe be strange at first, but the show can actually giveo ff a good feeling, it is more than completely enjoyable. It is very episodic, opening theme is good, and the characters aren't really 2 dimensional. It also takes place in a vast world that has been setup from previous workds, but they aren't necessary to see. It's very well done, production values are high, and it seems that the story is building up to something. It really is a very good show.

Mr_Paper
2004-03-29, 12:15
I'm using spoiler tags just incase. If you don't want to know my crazed
theory, then don't press the "Show" button. :heh:

This is just my theory, but...

I'm almost convinced now, more than ever, that Galaxy Railways is building up to depict the downfall of the Galaxy Railways System.

If you've watched Galaxy Express 999 you'd know that it takes place during the dying days of the system. Every planet the Galaxy Express 999 stops at is desolate, run down and more or less abandoned. The pirates have almost complete control over the system and there is a general lack of law enforcement. This is almost the opposite of what is happening in Galaxy Railways. Where Galaxy Express shows it in a rundown state, Galaxy Railways depicts it just after it's peak. Terrorist attacks on the system are on an increase, battles between the SDF and the pirates becoming more frequent, planets are being abandoned for natural disasters or collapses and overall the efficiency of the system seems to be becoming harder to maintain.

What's more, Galaxy Express shows that majority of the people have purchased or have been given robotic bodies. Similarly, in Galaxy Railways, the number of people with robotic bodies is on the increase. Even the guy who refilled the vending machines was able to acquire one. The escaped convicts, most medical staff, train crews, platform conductors, etc. have robotic bodies. It seems it wont be long until more private citizens in the series are acquiring robotic bodies.

It might just be me but it feels as if the series is building towards the day when the entire system collapses under it's own weight. Although, I could be wrong. :)

Tofusensei
2004-03-29, 12:50
Something happens at the end of episode 13 that adds weight to your theory. ;)

-Tofu

Tofusensei
2004-06-03, 21:40
Is it just me, or are Galaxy Railways fans the most silent bunch of people ever? 3,000 people download every ep, and I never see anyone talking about it :D

Who are you people?! :D

-Tofu

gohmifune
2004-06-03, 22:24
Paper has a good theory, that never really occurred to me, but there is are chunks in the Leijiverse that are un accounted for right? But now that you brought this up, now the chances for some connection to Maetel or Harlock or Yayoi are bound to be created someday.

And Tofu, maybe us fans are too busy watching to bother other people.

NoSanninWa
2004-06-04, 02:11
Paper has a good theory, but there is one really huge hole in it. It presumes that the Liejiverse is consistent. In fact there are many different versions of different characters and different histories. Everytime he created a new series or OVA he rewrote history. Only his themes and were truly consistent from show to show. Details such as who is Harlock's daughter were subject to change.

ZeppelinJ0
2004-06-04, 02:23
Wow This all sounds really cool, I think I'm going to check this series out :)

gohmifune
2004-06-04, 03:30
But see the thing about the Leijiverse is that he does rewrite it with each new incarnation, and thus finds a place for all objects. Of course stuff like DNA Sights, Millenial Queen, and the Cockpit have nothing to do with Yamato, but there is always tomorrow right?

Basically what I'm saying is, that everything has its place in the Leijiverse, the peices may not fit together well, but they have their own place and are always loosely connected in someway. I mean I read he had Yamato and Harlock in the same manga recently for example.

Mr_Paper
2004-06-04, 11:29
Paper has a good theory, but there is one really huge hole in it. It presumes that the Liejiverse is consistent. In fact there are many different versions of different characters and different histories. Everytime he created a new series or OVA he rewrote history. Only his themes and were truly consistent from show to show. Details such as who is Harlock's daughter were subject to change.Heh, I'm well aware of the inconsistencies in the Lejiverse. However, I based my theory on the loose and rough history of the Galaxy Railways system established in Galaxy Express 999. I could be completely wrong, but that's the way it seems to me.

Now, I must rewatch episode 12 and label it "Favorite Episode." Of course, it's position as such might be challenge should Yuuki and Louis persue a serious relationship instead of blushing at each other and avoiding the subject. >.<;

Kyusaku
2004-06-04, 11:43
This series was quite excellent in my opinion. The finale really amazed me as well, it was very "WOW........*falls into a coma*" This has gotta be one of Matsumoto's best works, and doesn't suffer from his slow plot development some of his older shows had. It was definitely perfection in my book. I'm really glad they made this series, and hope to see a Harlock series with a plot as well-paced as this one. The most recent Harlock series bored me to death even if it was about the most badass pirate in space.

Radd
2004-06-04, 15:43
This series was quite excellent in my opinion. The finale really amazed me as well, it was very "WOW........*falls into a coma*" This has gotta be one of Matsumoto's best works, and doesn't suffer from his slow plot development some of his older shows had. It was definitely perfection in my book. I'm really glad they made this series, and hope to see a Harlock series with a plot as well-paced as this one. The most recent Harlock series bored me to death even if it was about the most badass pirate in space.

Are you talking about Endless Odyssey, the series Geneon picked up and just released the third disk to it like three days ago?

Kyusaku
2004-06-05, 15:04
Are you talking about Endless Odyssey, the series Geneon picked up and just released the third disk to it like three days ago?

Yes I believe so, it was 13 eps. It turned out to be quite slow paced compared to Galaxy Railways.

Radd
2004-06-06, 02:36
Yes I believe so, it was 13 eps. It turned out to be quite slow paced compared to Galaxy Railways.

Wow, amazing how two Matsumoto fans can have such disparate tastes. I like Galaxy Railways, love it, but it seems only slightly above average for a Matsumoto work in my opinion. Endless Odyssey, on the other hand, is as perfect a presentation of the Matsumoto universe that I've seen since 'Arcadia of My Youth'. I really appreciate Rin Taro's directorial style, the top notch animation, and I have absolutely no problems with the pacing of the story, whereas Galaxy Railways seems episodic in comparison.

Of course, that's my opinion, and it's very true that I absolutely adore many stories that are often described as "slow paced". 'Legend of the Galactic Heroes' and the three 'Patlabor' movies spring immeadiately to mind.

Tofusensei
2004-06-06, 10:11
Is "slow paced" automatically equated with "bad"? I mean, look at Kimagure Orange Road, possibly one of the most revered anime series of all time, and it moves slow as hell :D

-Tofu

kuru
2004-06-06, 13:17
Is "slow paced" automatically equated with "bad"?
-Tofu

Only by people that think anime is only about fights. Of course, there's plenty of people that think that way, but they're the kind of people that should be just ignored (and, anyway, they're only intested in knowing when the next episode of Naruto will be released).

Kyusaku
2004-06-06, 13:27
Is "slow paced" automatically equated with "bad"? I mean, look at Kimagure Orange Road, possibly one of the most revered anime series of all time, and it moves slow as hell :D

-Tofu

I didn't think KOR was slow paced at all. I loved KOR, I own the DVD boxset of KOR from AnimEigo.(in fact I had the faulty ones with the screwed up OP thing because I preordered it). Madoka was a goddess. :D~~~ Of course not as wonderful my other favorite 80s female, Lum. (I own the first 5 DVD boxsets from AnimEigo)

Tofusensei
2004-06-06, 14:21
I didn't think KOR was slow paced at all. I loved KOR, I own the DVD boxset of KOR from AnimEigo.(in fact I had the faulty ones with the screwed up OP thing because I preordered it). Madoka was a goddess. :D~~~ Of course not as wonderful my other favorite 80s female, Lum. (I own the first 5 DVD boxsets from AnimEigo)

Haha, I have you beat, I have the LD boxes :D

Anyway, not to drift too far off-topic, but explain to me how it's not slow-paced? How much progress do we see from episode 1 until episode 48? The answer in truth is NOT MUCH. But the point of the show wasn't to try and advance the plot at lightning speed, which is why it works so well even though it's slow. I'd say, compared to 90%+ of anime shows, KOR moves at a snail's pace, really ^^

-Tofu

Kyusaku
2004-06-06, 15:12
Haha, I have you beat, I have the LD boxes :D

Anyway, not to drift too far off-topic, but explain to me how it's not slow-paced? How much progress do we see from episode 1 until episode 48? The answer in truth is NOT MUCH. But the point of the show wasn't to try and advance the plot at lightning speed, which is why it works so well even though it's slow. I'd say, compared to 90%+ of anime shows, KOR moves at a snail's pace, really ^^

-Tofu

Heh, too bad I don't have an LD player.

Heh yes the main purpose of the story did move rather slow, but the episodic stories were the main focus to keep the fans interested I imagine. Sort of "What's gonna happen next?", type of deal. I do remember times where I'd like to have choked Kyosuke with my bare hands because of his mistakes or foolishness. Still didn't stop me from enjoying it though.

Streamer
2004-06-19, 19:23
[QUOTE=Mr_Paper]Heh, I'm well aware of the inconsistencies in the Lejiverse. However, I based my theory on the loose and rough history of the Galaxy Railways system established in Galaxy Express 999. I could be completely wrong, but that's the way it seems to me.

Considering the above discussion on Lejiverse and connections....

As I'm beginning to watch 'Galaxy express 999' from Live-evil, and having followed 'Galaxy Railways' from the start a nagging thought springs to mind: Is the 'Warriors gun' that Tetsurou aquires on Titan (GE999#3) the same that Manabu inherits from his father in GR?

Not sure I needed a spoiler tag for that one, but what the hey...

Mr_Paper
2004-06-20, 14:31
Considering the above discussion on Lejiverse and connections....

As I'm beginning to watch 'Galaxy express 999' from Live-evil, and having followed 'Galaxy Railways' from the start a nagging thought springs to mind: Is the 'Warriors gun' that Tetsurou aquires on Titan (GE999#3) the same that Manabu inherits from his father in GR?

Not sure I needed a spoiler tag for that one, but what the hey...
That gun can be seen in nearly ever series in the Leijiverse. It gets passed around so much, it very well could be. ^^;

NoSanninWa
2004-06-21, 02:38
I'm pretty sure that there is more than one of them. It is a type of gun, rather than a specific gun. I doubt that every hero in the leijiverse uses the same gun.

Mr_Paper
2004-06-21, 11:35
True, but when you look at it, Tetsurou wearing that cloak and hat bears an uncanny resemblence to Tochiro. ^.-

As for the pistols, there is actually only four or five of them in existance and were all made by Tochiro (The number varies depending on the source). So there is a good possibility that Yuki's gun becomes Tetsurou's or is one of the other Warrior Guns (aka. Hero Gun, Cosmo Dragoon). According to GE999 there are four of these guns in existance and the people who own them are: Harlock, Emeraldas, Tetsurou, and "someone else".... Tetsurou's pistol was a gift from Tochiro's mother on Titan. However, in Queen Emeraldas the video, there are five pistols, distributed to: Harlock, Emeraldas, Tetsurou, Maetel and Umino Hiroshi (the male protagonist of the video).

Anyway, as odd as it seems, it is very possible that many of the heroes of the Leijiverse have used the same pistol. ^^;

Streamer
2004-06-21, 12:11
How "big" is the Lejiverse? I'm a relative newcomer to the world of animé, so I have yet to discover the fundamental facts...

...but 'Galaxy Railways' and 'Galaxy Express 999' got me hooked right away, with colorful characters and a filosophical feel in the stories.

Mr_Paper
2004-06-21, 13:25
How "big" is the Lejiverse? I'm a relative newcomer to the world of animé, so I have yet to discover the fundamental facts...

...but 'Galaxy Railways' and 'Galaxy Express 999' got me hooked right away, with colorful characters and a filosophical feel in the stories.If you include the flashbacks in a number of the OVAs and the Gun Frontier series... the Leijiverse easily spans more than 1000 years (based on the side stories of Harlock's and Tochiro's ancestors). However with each new series the length or size of the leijiverse changes. For instance according to Leiji Matsumoto; Yamato flew in 2199 and Galaxy Express 999 picks up Tetsurou in 2223 -- but this clearly goes against the notion that Harlock and Tochiro's ancestors met 1000 years before in WWII and distorts much of the established history in the series.

Understanding the Leijiverse is no simple thing. ^^;

NoSanninWa
2004-06-21, 19:14
True, but when you look at it, Tetsurou wearing that cloak and hat bears an uncanny resemblence to Tochiro. ^.-

As for the pistols, there is actually only four or five of them in existance and were all made by Tochiro (The number varies depending on the source). So there is a good possibility that Yuki's gun becomes Tetsurou's or is one of the other Warrior Guns (aka. Hero Gun, Cosmo Dragoon). According to GE999 there are four of these guns in existance and the people who own them are: Harlock, Emeraldas, Tetsurou, and "someone else".... Tetsurou's pistol was a gift from Tochiro's mother on Titan. However, in Queen Emeraldas the video, there are five pistols, distributed to: Harlock, Emeraldas, Tetsurou, Maetel and Umino Hiroshi (the male protagonist of the video).

Anyway, as odd as it seems, it is very possible that many of the heroes of the Leijiverse have used the same pistol. ^^;
That's very interesting. Can you tell me how a Hero's Gun is special? Is it more poweful or does it just have an honorable history having been made by a legendary gunsmith or what?

Mr_Paper
2004-06-21, 19:32
That's very interesting. Can you tell me how a Hero's Gun is special? Is it more poweful or does it just have an honorable history having been made by a legendary gunsmith or what?What makes the Hero/Warrior Guns (aka. Cosmo Dragoon) special is that they are more powerful than the other standard pistol. Tochiro is noted as being a genious engineer and when he made the guns he made them as powerful as he could. Basically, they're just more powerful. ^^;

Tofusensei
2004-07-07, 22:50
I'm interested in seeing how people felt when watching Galaxy Railways episode 19. Please post your thoughts ^^

-Tofu

Mr_Paper
2004-07-07, 22:52
We'll have to wait until someone finishes downloading it. ^^

/me hopes for a romantic developement between Yuuki and Louis

[Edit...]

God that's one fun episode! The deck of Harlock playing cards, the train incident, the bath incident and even seeing Yuuki in a dress and Yuki in almost nothing ;). The search for the cat... I had to pause the episode several times to stop laughing. ^^

A really great episode. :D

Tofusensei
2004-07-08, 07:54
God that's one fun episode! The deck of Harlock playing cards, the train incident, the bath incident and even seeing Yuuki in a dress and Yuki in almost nothing ;). The search for the cat... I had to pause the episode several times to stop laughing. ^^

A really great episode. :D

Hehe! How much fun was the SDF parody scene? :D And you can definitely see something cooking up between Louis and Yuuki. I think it starts getting a little more serious after this point, so they wanted to do one light-hearted episode first.

-Tofu

Mr_Paper
2004-07-08, 08:24
Hehe! How much fun was the SDF parody scene? :D And you can definitely see something cooking up between Louis and Yuuki. I think it starts getting a little more serious after this point, so they wanted to do one light-hearted episode first.The parody scene was one of the best parts. ^^

gumbaloom
2004-07-08, 12:55
There was a lot of different emotions in Episode 19. Laughter, sadness and things. I've got to agree that parody scene was HILLARIUOUS. I just wonder who is going to win in the love triangle with Yuukhi o.o. You got to see a lot more depth to the characters in this episode.

I'm definitely looking forward to the last seven episodes of the series. Its been one heck of a ride.

NoSanninWa
2004-07-08, 15:17
And let's not forget Manabu and Bruce talking about good times:
"Are you having fun, Bruce?"
"Can't you tell from the expression on my face?'
"Yeah. You've got the look of someone having a great time-"
"Er, no, I mean..."
"I guess it's open for interpretation."

Heh. Even having a good time, he just doesn't look it.

Mr_Paper
2004-07-08, 16:08
I liked the captain's last lines:
Captain: "Let's all go take a bath then have another feast."
Female SDF members: "Yay!"
Captian: "This time it'll be mixed baths."
Female SDF members: "Ya... Huh?!"I loved the look on their faces. :D

wsheit
2004-07-12, 12:37
With these 3 most recent episodes, I've finally decided that this is a truly great anime (yeah, so it took me awhile). This last ep (19) has to be the funniest episode (or close to it) of anime I've ever seen. I can't wait to see how the plot develops- I'm guessing that these last few are going to be less episodic.

Mr_Paper
2004-07-22, 16:44
Having watched episode 20 I'm rather pleased with the romantic developement between Yuuki and Louis. Seeing her cry out "He can't go!" in protest to the possibility of Yuuki's leaving and then start spitting out excuses was wonderful. ^^

In case you can't tell, I like romance. ;)

gohmifune
2004-07-22, 18:15
Tofu was wondering on our thoughts for 19, I liked it, reminded me of a Gravion episode though, but I liked it nonetheless, and 20 was great, but it seems like it hasn't been building up to a big finale yet like I thought it would. Like Planetes I'm really gonna miss this show when it is over.