PDA

View Full Version : Japanese lunches?

Lord Raiden
2003-11-21, 12:23
I just saw something weird while watching Tokyo Mew Mew that I haven't seen before in Japanese Anime. They were serving lunch right in the classroom off a portable serving setup. Don't Japanese schools have lunch rooms, or was that just something different than is normal? I would find it rather odd to see lunch being served IN the classroom. Mostly I'm just curious about it I guess.

microlith
2003-11-21, 12:46
At most Japanese schools, people generally eat wherever they want.

They have cafeterias at some schools, but that doesn't preclue people grabbing their food and going elsewhere to eat. Now the "serving food in the classrooms" bit is kinda odd.

s0nicfreak
2003-11-21, 13:35
Schools didn't use to have cafeterias, but now some of the newer built ones do...

In some elementary & middle schools it is served in the classroom. Or there is a kitchen where the students go get the food and take it back to the classroom.

In highschools kids bring a lunch and sometimes theres a place to buy bread & maybe other stuff. They eat in the classroom or wherever they want.

silviachan
2003-11-21, 15:12
Here's my question about Japanese lunches/cooking: what are that fish-shaped "cookies" that you can see in many animes (I'm thinking of Kanon, for ex.) made of? I'm getting TOO curious about it!!

Esperchld
2003-11-21, 15:30
Those are Tayaki (IIRC). They are a pancake with red bean paste (anko) inside, and shaped like a fish (red snapper?).

Lord Raiden
2003-11-21, 15:46
Mmm. Those sound SOOOOOO good!! :)

monir
2003-11-21, 16:56
Droooooooling........can we have more description of different variety of Japanese foods, especially the popular ones in Japan, if the experts do not mind enlightening the ignorant...:)..

Edit: I am thinking about Japanese member who are residing in Japan currently..

Esperchld
2003-11-21, 17:01
you can always google for it. That was how I learned what Tayaki was after seeing it in a million different anime.

Wandering A.I.
2003-11-21, 17:34
If you live in a city wandering around a Japanese supermarket/mall is fun too. The last one I crashed had this one corner, actually still in the supermarket, but where a kimono clad lady would serve tea. Also the California sake was a lot cheaper than the Japanese stuff, but it was in a pile by itself that most of the people looking at sake ignored - hehehe. I still can't figure out the point of having Japanese shampoo, I mean sake OK, but do you really need to import shampoo and what not? Oo

lordwu
2003-11-21, 17:38
I still can't figure out the point of having Japanese shampoo, I mean sake OK, but do you really need to import shampoo and what not? Oo

Of course you do IF you are a japanese coming from Japan and only uses a particular brand of shampoo. Many people are willing to spend extra for something they are familiar with in a foreign country.

Lord Raiden
2003-11-21, 19:27
Heck yeah. Try going to Germany for 6 months. I may be German, but come on. After 6 months of sucking down Schnitzel and Spatzel day after day a Burger King is very welcome food. ;)

I can't see the Japanese being any different with things that are native or well known to them.

kj1980
2003-11-21, 19:43
I just saw something weird while watching Tokyo Mew Mew that I haven't seen before in Japanese Anime. They were serving lunch right in the classroom off a portable serving setup. Don't Japanese schools have lunch rooms, or was that just something different than is normal? I would find it rather odd to see lunch being served IN the classroom. Mostly I'm just curious about it I guess.

I'll answer that.

First of all, Japanese students have "toubans" (chores). Agreed upon the first day of school, every kid rotates their daily chores for the classroom. i.e. two kids are responsible for taking care of the class pet (rabbit, hamster, etc.), two are supposed to clean the chalkboard, clean the room after the day is over, etc.

And in elementary school, they have chores to bring lunch to the classroom.

Lunches at elementary schools are brought in via huge lunch pails. Everyday, a different meal is served, ranging from curry rice to spaghetti. A well balanced diet is strictly enforced by the national government of Japan, and the meals are prepared so that it matches the "children's health index for childrens under 12" regulations which are mandated by the Health Ministry of Japan. Children are mainly served: a pack of milk, the main dish (rotates and varies every day each month), salad, and a bowl of soup (also rotate and varies each day...can be miso soup when given with a Japanese main dish, or can be vegetable or corn pottage when served with a foreign dish).

Most schools have an unwritten policy for lunches in elementary school: do not leave anything uneaten, or you can't go out to recess. Therefore, even if you hate broccoli, you must eat that if you want to go outside and play.

i hope this gave you a minor insight in Japanese elementary school life.

I still can't figure out the point of having Japanese shampoo, I mean sake OK, but do you really need to import shampoo and what not? Oo

It all depends what you are used to. Look around in metro-Tokyo, and you see American people living in Japan, going into Japanese department stores shelling out 1500 yen (approx US$15) to buy Vidal Sassoon and Herbal Essence shampoos imported from the States. Sure, once you get used to the different shampoos and daily neccessities where you are, you will eventually opt for them as they are cheaper, but until then, you'd rather use something you are more familiar with.

Besides, let's say you go to Japan and see two bars of soap, one in Japanese, one in English. The Japanese one costs US$3 and the English one cost $5. But, the former one, you know it must be soap, but it only reads "sekken" in Japanese. on the other hand, the English one clearly specifies "Ivory Soap / floats on water!" Which one would you buy? It's all about preference. Some people may buy the Japanese one for the heck of it since it's cheaper, some people would buy the English one for familiarity. It's all up to you.

kj1980
2003-11-21, 19:55
Here's my question about Japanese lunches/cooking: what are that fish-shaped "cookies" that you can see in many animes (I'm thinking of Kanon, for ex.) made of? I'm getting TOO curious about it!!

That is called "taiyaki," a Japanese dessert where it is basically a pancake, made into a shape of a fish, with red beans inside.

Japanese desserts are the best in the world, whether they are traditional Japanese ones or the foreign desserts such as cakes and such...

American desserts have only one flavor: they taste like sugar and cranberry sauce that burns my mouth of thirst.

kj1980
2003-11-21, 21:09
They are good... but unfortunately it looks like shops which sell them are hard to find. Sometimes there is a booth around here which sells them. :)

Go to Nakano, go west towards the shopping district and you'll find a pretty good taiyaki with choco-banana inside.

There is also a very famous taiyaki place in Azabu Ju-ban where it was the model for the song Oyoge! Taiyaki-kun. Of course, you have to wait two hours in line to get the taiyaki though...

luckme10
2003-11-22, 02:54
Japanese foods? I hear they eat rice.

Zoya
2003-11-22, 06:08
American desserts have only one flavor: they taste like sugar and cranberry sauce that burns my mouth of thirst.

Ehhhhh!? hehehe Then you haven't tried the right american deserts :) Cranberry deserts are few and far between (most common around Thanksgiving and Christmas) and I agree, I can't stand cranberries myself. Try something like bread pudding (very simple desert bread/milk/egg/cinnamon and sugar with some sort of fruit (usually raisins or peaches) with or without rum sauce or warm milk. Also, there are many varieties of cheesecake, cherry pie, apple pie, red velvet cake, etc. None of those taste even remotely like cranberries :)

kj1980
2003-11-22, 15:05
Ehhhhh!? hehehe Then you haven't tried the right american deserts :) Cranberry deserts are few and far between (most common around Thanksgiving and Christmas) and I agree, I can't stand cranberries myself. Try something like bread pudding (very simple desert bread/milk/egg/cinnamon and sugar with some sort of fruit (usually raisins or peaches) with or without rum sauce or warm milk. Also, there are many varieties of cheesecake, cherry pie, apple pie, red velvet cake, etc. None of those taste even remotely like cranberries :)

yes I have. I have lived in this crappy place for very long, and no matter how many people say "this one will be good, trust me" it never is. Seriously, Americans needs to learn how to cook from France and Asia.

Zoya
2003-11-23, 00:37
yes I have. I have lived in this crappy place for very long, and no matter how many people say "this one will be good, trust me" it never is. Seriously, Americans needs to learn how to cook from France and Asia.

rofl Bit of a chip on your shoulder I guess. *rolls eyes*

Kempis Curious
2003-11-23, 01:21

I saw lunch being served in the class during one of the best episodes of Kodomo no Omocha.

I couldn't imagine eating lunch everyday out of a pot served up by my classmates. :D It would feel like chowtime in the Army 100 years ago!
I'm guessing all of those children carting around all that food leads to some messy accidents a lot. :( I bet that's a lot of food to dump all over the floor.

-k

curious

kj1980
2003-11-23, 01:38
I saw lunch being served in the class during one of the best episodes of Kodomo no Omocha.

I couldn't imagine eating lunch everyday out of a pot served up by my classmates. :D It would feel like chowtime in the Army 100 years ago!
I'm guessing all of those children carting around all that food leads to some messy accidents a lot. :( I bet that's a lot of food to dump all over the floor.

-k

curious

Actually, the children are very careful not to spill them, or else they'll be the target of bad reputation...especially when they're going to serve curry rice - the number one food that childrens love in Japan ^^;

Kempis Curious
2003-11-23, 12:10
Actually, the children are very careful not to spill them, or else they'll be the target of bad reputation...especially when they're going to serve curry rice - the number one food that childrens love in Japan ^^;

Haha I can imagine. :D

Thank goodness I wasn't born over there, I don't like anything with ginger in it, so it would be torture to choke down curry, ginger snaps, pickled ginger, etc.

I wonder how often children accept the "no recess" instead of eating something they hate? .... Though I know kids get sneaky about such things... I think it was that Miyazaki film Omoide Poro Poro where the children would swap the foods.

-k

curious

Funnylink
2003-11-24, 06:21
yes I have. I have lived in this crappy place for very long, and no matter how many people say "this one will be good, trust me" it never is. Seriously, Americans needs to learn how to cook from France and Asia. Youve tried cheesecake? you didnt like it? WTFS MAN *takes toy hammer and hits him on the head with it and he goes flying into the ground making a big round indent on his forhead when he stands up*

LuciaMelody
2003-11-24, 13:27
What about round er "thing" all white and there is a black rectangle on a side...what is that called? Is that rice? and what is a black portion....

I was always curious - that food is soo popular in anime but I dont know what it is....

Do japanese kids always have those super neat lunch boxes :)

zalas
2003-11-24, 15:52
What about round er "thing" all white and there is a black rectangle on a side...what is that called? Is that rice? and what is a black portion....

I was always curious - that food is soo popular in anime but I dont know what it is....

Do you mean an onigiri? as in triangle shaped rice "ball" half wrapped in seaweed?

kj1980
2003-11-24, 16:15
Youve tried cheesecake? you didnt like it? WTFS MAN *takes toy hammer and hits him on the head with it and he goes flying into the ground making a big round indent on his forhead when he stands up*

Of course I have. What I am saying is that even these kinds of strawberry shortcakes and cheesecakes, the ones that Japanese makes tastes much more better than their American counterparts.

It's pretty sad to see "New York Cheesecake" made in a bakery at Tokyo tastes better than the one made in New York.

kj1980
2003-11-24, 16:19

Those are onigiri. You make the rice (the white) into a triangle, and you half-wrap them in dried seaweed (the black). But when you make the rice, you insert your favorite "gu" which can be either umeboshi, salmon, tuna, or konbu. In a sense, it's kinda like a Japanese sandwich...instead of bread, we use rice and seaweed.

NoSanninWa
2003-11-24, 17:15
Those are onigiri. You make the rice (the white) into a triangle, and you half-wrap them in dried seaweed (the black). But when you make the rice, you insert your favorite "gu" which can be either umeboshi, salmon, tuna, or konbu. In a sense, it's kinda like a Japanese sandwich...instead of bread, we use rice and seaweed.
Umiboshi is Sea Urchin, right? But what is Konbu?

kj1980
2003-11-24, 19:44
Umiboshi is Sea Urchin, right? But what is Konbu?

that's "umeboshi." (pickled plums) these are salted plums, put to sleep for several days (even years for very good quality ones) to give a very salty and bitter taste...

konbu are another type of seaweed, tangled ones usually from the Sea of Japan.

LuciaMelody
2003-11-26, 12:30
THat sound so new and interesting....too bad they dont serve it in local restaurants.... but I'll remember the name, may be i will see it somewhere..

nubby
2003-11-28, 01:51

If that's how it is, I think they're giving the kids too much responsibility. Heck if I was really pissed at someone, I'd be tempted to piss on their soup(of course everyone else will be tasting it too) =p . LOL Gross huh?

Lord Raiden
2003-11-28, 01:58
Nah, do like we did in school. Have someone who's really good with slight of hand sprinkle a little pebcak in their soup. Guarenteed to be a very instant and effective payback. Of course, not like we used to do things like that in HS. :innocent:

Muraki
2003-11-28, 13:26
Despite what you might believe some people have the will to resist their urges ;P

Wandering A.I.
2003-11-28, 14:15
We always found more fun stuff to do than sabotage the food at my school (it was bad enough, ha ha)...I can distinctly remember various classmates bringing in a pig, a goose, and several chickens on separate occasions and letting them run loose...usually in crowded cafeterias, but once in the halls. ^^

Lord Raiden
2003-11-28, 17:01
Stink bombs was the prefered method of being a nuicence at my school. :)

Oneesama
2003-11-28, 22:01
has anyone seen the "Eating Nimo" pic make out of sushi.... i was gonna post it.... but I lost it.......I'll get it up soon....... :D

edit: there we go ^^ "EATING NEMO~"

http://server4.uploadit.org/files/011203-nemo.jpg

ky_khor
2003-12-04, 08:56
reading this thread make me hungry....

Tomomi
2003-12-04, 09:40
has anyone seen the "Eating Nimo" pic make out of sushi.... i was gonna post it.... but I lost it.......I'll get it up soon....... :D

edit: there we go ^^ "EATING NEMO~"

http://server4.uploadit.org/files/011203-nemo.jpg

Kawaii! But it looks kinda pitiful eh? Being chopped up like that... :(

Lord Raiden
2003-12-04, 11:26
Buhahahahahaha!! That's so cute!! ^_^ Good plate presentation too. :)

horsdhaleine
2006-09-01, 19:34
some have, some don't. i visited a small public school once here in tokyo and we ate with the kids. they served the food the kids made in the kitchen right in the classroom. but the kids ate really neatly so there aren't too much of a mess...

Anime Online
2006-09-01, 20:31
Takoyaki (http://web-japan.org/nipponia/nipponia14/whata02.html) is very tasty too.

If I remember correctly, in Azumanga Daioh, someone claimed that Osaka (Kasuga Ayumu) was not from Osaka because she did not have takoyaki in her lunch box.

Lord Raiden
2006-09-02, 11:27
Oh **** yes it is. Takoyaki is aweomse! :D