PDA

View Full Version : Anime addiction or social dysfunction

Zelgadis
2003-11-25, 02:24
I hate to ask this, but where do you draw the line from the wanting to watch anime to needing to watch it? My personal take on anime is I watch what I enjoy. And I truly LIKE anime. But I keep thinking I should stop watching because it is childish. I purchase anime on rare occasions, and watch anime maybe once a week. Recently I have been watched a lot more anime than I should often since I found animesuki. ^_^

I guess what I am saying is most of my friends and family "don't get the anime thing". Therefore, I end up watching anime on my own feeling something like a social outcast. Socially I am busy being as I am out of college, in a very exhausting job, trying to find time to date, into sports, looking into grad school, etc. While in college I joined an anime club, HARO, and currently am a regular attender to the Animania showings. Unfortunately, now I feel old showing up to these grouping of 18 somethings.

~_~ I know there are others out there thinking the same thing. So what is your takes on this? Does anime become a social dysfunction? Portraying anime as a cultural thing can only go so far...

monir
2003-11-25, 02:54
Well, your outlook of things was almost heartfelt except when you mentioned the word childish. So before I show my displeasure (takes) on things, would you care to explain, how and why you consider something childish? Until then........

btw..there is a good thread called Anime Elitists? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=1057) which has few excellent outputs..I recommend you check it out..

Tomomi
2003-11-25, 03:09
Well, your outlook of things was almost heartfelt except when you mentioned the word childish. So before I show my displeasure (takes) on things, would you care to explain, how and why you consider something childish? Until then........

btw..there is a good thread called Anime Elitists? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=1057) which has few excellent outputs..I recommend you check it out..

I dun think that watching anime is childish. If it's childish, then why bother coming here in the first place?

This is an area where many can enjoy anime. :D

Zelgadis
2003-11-25, 03:09
I have read most of that Elitist thread. I am unsure if the question would belong in that post. But it does mirror most of that statement.. But as far as childish, that is how my friends describe "anime". Actually that is how they describe most cartoons anyways. Personally, I find anime much more fulfilling than any sitcom or most TV series anyways. Maybe I just need to find a new group of friends that actually enjoy anime.

Kamui4356
2003-11-25, 03:17
I hate to ask this, but where do you draw the line from the wanting to watch anime to needing to watch it? My personal take on anime is I watch what I enjoy. And I truly LIKE anime. But I keep thinking I should stop watching because it is childish. I purchase anime on rare occasions, and watch anime maybe once a week. Recently I have been watched a lot more anime than I should often since I found animesuki. ^_^

I guess what I am saying is most of my friends and family "don't get the anime thing". Therefore, I end up watching anime on my own feeling something like a social outcast. Socially I am busy being as I am out of college, in a very exhausting job, trying to find time to date, into sports, looking into grad school, etc. While in college I joined an anime club, HARO, and currently am a regular attender to the Animania showings. Unfortunately, now I feel old showing up to these grouping of 18 somethings.

~_~ I know there are others out there thinking the same thing. So what is your takes on this? Does anime become a social dysfunction? Portraying anime as a cultural thing can only go so far...
Seems to me that your only a casual anime fan, so you're good. As long as you have a life that extends beyond anime, don't worry. When you start using Japanese words in daily conversation, sit at a computer all night every night watching anime, and withdraw from other activities, you have a problem. Your real problem is that your family and friends think you're a freak for watching stuff that's for children in their eyes. My parents think the same way about me for watching anime. Try looking for anime that your friends might enjoy. If you look for something similar to their favorite movies or tv shows I'm sure you'll find something. If in the end nothing works, just deal with it. The important thing is you like to watch it. Remember there are lots of adults out there that enjoy watching actual children's cartoons such as Sponge Bob, anime on the other hand is targeted at a much wider audience.

juri_miki
2003-11-25, 04:54
I've been an anime fan for over about 10 years now and you know what I got to say about other people who criticize me? Screw them. I do what I want and when I want w/o worrying what others think of me. Not only do I watch anime, but I also am into animation in general, comics, and all that stuff that makes people consider one childish. Just because I choose to watch Kimi Ga Nozomu Ein instead of Friends doesn't make me a social outcast. Just because I choose to listen to the OST of Onegai Teacher than groove to the horror of J.Lo's new album doesn't make me childish. It just means I have different likes and tastes from other people or better yet, I just choose to be myself instead of conforming to a whole.

Even though people go "As long as anime doesn't consume your life..." I think that it's important not to let anything consume your life, except for your desire to live life. Anyone can get hooked anything, tv, alcohol, drugs, celebrities. Does being addicted to that stuff any better than being hooked onto anime? No they're all just as bad. Too much of a good thing is bad, but denying yourself of what you want, because of other's opinions I feel is worse.

Gaara_
2003-11-25, 05:16
Maybe if you become a total anime junkie, one day you'll hit your head go into a coma, and be in an anime world. That would be sweet, all I can say is anime makes you want to challenge reality and most people don't like that, because they can't handle it. So let them not handle it, most people are cattle, moo.

Koshiba
2003-11-25, 06:01
Anime is pretty much for all ages.. When I go to anime events I'm usually hanging out with a wide range of people from ages 13-40. I know lot's of people who are into anime and yet really social also. Eh.. Oh well.

Mephisto03
2003-11-25, 07:22
I use to think I was starting to spend to much time online getting anime and watching and then woke up and realised the usa suck when it comes to showing quality cartoons and this is the only way I could see good shows. Yeah keeping all of them on gigs and gigs worth of hd may be extreme but I'm more into keeping my stuff and showing others good anime i've watched when i talk about it. Also Whenever I have kids I can show them meaningful stuff to watch thats good entertainment instead of the crap they show on tv now or even worse the future here.

GreyArea
2003-11-25, 07:24
All hobbies are fundamentally childish. Spending a large (or even a nominal) amount of time doing something leisurely which isnt watching TV or playing a sport is considered sad (especially if its anything to do with technology).

Im 24 years old, and Im not at all ashamed of the fact that I watch and enjoy anime. I suppose it helps that quite a few of my friends enjoy manga and anime also (others are/have been converted ;) ). Id much rather watch anime that subject myself to the absolute shite that pases for TV nowadays. Even most of Hollywoods output for teh last decade has been utter drivel. At least by watching anime you are choosing what to watch, not just idly consuming whatever cack is put infront of you.

Id say your ok so long as you can still talk to a stranger and look them in the eye (and dont feel the compulsion to dye your hair red ;) ).

Oh, by the way, stealing cars is a social dysfunction. Watching anime isnt :)

LuciaMelody
2003-11-25, 12:16
I agree with GreyArea.

Also, its actually fun that not everyone is into anime. Because u r doing smth that is more or less unique.

Also, more and more anime is coming to US and the popularity of it grows.

It helps to have 1 or 2 friend who r also into anime. Pick 2 of your friends and find a show that u think may interest them. ANd when they have free time (or just sitting watching TV or smth ask them if u can put the tape in and watch it with them. Tell them its really good (look confident when u say its good though, dont blush) If you show them smth serious (like a movie) and mature - they will think differently of anime. Thats how my friends started to like it.

And of course! Do get out! Dont let it consume you.

Plus, u r saying that u feel bad that u can't watch it with other people - well may be watching anime can be smth that u do when u want to get away from people and relax.

Tenken
2003-11-25, 13:43
I know what you mean, a lot of people think if something is animated it is automatically crap and for kids. Which pisses me off.

I'm 19, and watch a lot of anime and such. I do have a social life and other hobbies that take priority over anime.

I've tried showing my friends anime and it's like they just can't accept it. One person that I found who actually watches anime with me and really gets into it is my older sister. She is 29, has two kids and everytime she comes over (she lives 11 hours away) all we do is watch anime. She is very open minded and will try just about anything once. I guess that's what it takes to get into anime. It also helps if you live in a big city (New York and such) because there are more people. Some thread on anime suki (I thought it was this one) said that some Universities use Neon Genesis Evangelion in college level psychology (or something) classes. Which blew me away, to think that a university would actually use it like that. But that is encouraging to anime fans and the anime industry in the US.

Overall I think new things are hard for people to accept, especially if it's unknown to them. Most people are afraid of change and getting out of their comfort zone.

Muraki
2003-11-25, 14:34
M/b you should try finding new friends o.O my friend either enjoy watching it with me or tolerate it for my sake (Just act like yourself or something, though I'm azn the majority of my friends are the athletic blondes and stuff which scares me since I only act the way I want...)

It shouldn't be a dysfunction I watch alot of anime o.O

I'm...13 :heh: and completely obssessed with watching anime and reading manga..

but still I manage to balance in various sports , basketball, volleyball, track, and soccer so far along with working for the yearbook, the school newspaper, and the orchestra.

But of course don't try to hard I barely get ne sleep =_= ...

gravitation
2003-11-25, 15:10
Im 13 years old and i dont get out much coz of my pc and anime >_< i am annoyed at myself for this but still im just an anime and manga addict ^_^i wish i was like muraki with the sports thing but im not, i hate sports >_< so i guess i should try and get out much :) o well

Flash_Squirrel
2003-11-25, 15:29
Ok, I dont feel like saying the same thing over (Animes are not bad, not childish, etc..) so I will just post some questions for anyone who want to answer them.

Is drinking untill you cant see the road in front of you something more mature than watching an animated show?

Is forcing someone to do something he/she doesnt want to a good thing? How would you feel to force yourself to do something you dont want to, just because its a "life"? How would YOU feel if someone forced you to do a thing you dont want to? How would you feel to force someone into a thing he/she doesnt want to do?

Do you think its ok to judge someone childish just because she/he do something you cant understand?

Do you think your life has something to do with other people? Do you do things for the others or for yourself only? Is your living a life somehow connected with the life of those next to you, or is it a personal experience?

Oops, looks like I said what I think about this argument too..

monir
2003-11-25, 16:02
Since Kamui4356 has covered Obsession pretty well I will tackle the term Childish...
have read most of that Elitist thread. I am unsure if the question would belong in that post. But it does mirror most of that statementAs you see, its a wide spread problem to a certain age group..Parents and peers cannot be blamed for their outlook in that matter either..To explain my point I believe a little history lesson/reminder in order…Before the 18th century there were little or nothing that described as childish (in many underdeveloped countries it still remains a fact)..The term children was given to kids of their first 5-7 years of their life when they are physically unable to do most things..After that age limit “children” were considered little adults..Male “children” worked vigorously with their fathers in field and what not while the female “children” helped their mothers in the back breaking domestic works....Arts from 18th century and previous timeline are the visual proofs where the children’s faces are drawn serious (little adults), not cute and cuddly..Until recently (safe to say, past 100 years) all these age groups did not exist, i.e. infant, child, teenagers, adult, middle age, old etc..etc…With those category came many such terms such as childish which created a clear division of interest and outlined/expected the things one should do in certain age groups..These terms were socially created and accepted eventually..

I do not understand fully the difficulty and conflict that you face, so I am not going to insult you sympathizing..I am worried that I will face those similar difficulties/conflicts as I grow up and enter a different age group. Yet I don’t know how I will deal with those things, but I will not give up things I like easily.. Also, social perspective changes if reasonable enough although it takes time..Evidences are out there...Dont give up...I am not giving up on you either:).

hunterx
2003-11-25, 16:36
what's wrong with watching anime on your own? as long as you do other things with other people? it's just like reading books on your own, or some other hobby on your own. We do a lot of things on our own, as for me I don't like watching movies or TV with anyone else. I usually watch anime or dvd movies I buy at night when everyone is asleep anyways

kj1980
2003-11-25, 17:56
i have been watching it for over twenty years or so, from the days as a very little kid watching Doraemon and Soreyuke! Anpan-man.

hobobaggins
2003-11-25, 19:59
dont give in to the bullshit about anime rotting your brain! up until the 18th century they thought that books rotted the brain!

... i find that watching anime alone is fun, but it is nice to have a friend to watch with. you can laugh together, discuss it (not too far though.) and have more of a fun time than alone... but it seems you operate on a tight schedule, and it does not seem that you are a social hermit, living in your home, never stepping outside.

if it does not interfere with your social life, then do you really care?

Kurara
2003-11-25, 20:48

I have one thing to tell you ; stop caring what others think of you. :P

I know what social dysfunction really is, because I've known people who were labelled by psychiatrists as socially dysfunctional. Social dysfunction is not ever getting out of the house and having trouble keeping alive. Not being able to do what you have to do. So as long as you still sleep, you still bathe, you still eat and still get out of the house from time to time, you're fine. :P

So what if people think you're too old to watch anime? My boyfriend is 26 and he watches anime and cartoons. Some people I know are in their 30's and still watch anime and cartoons and they dress up as cartoon characters. At my school's anime club, most members are over 20. Anime and cartoons aren't an age thing, it's a hobby. Maybe it's a "geekier" hobby than playing football or watching hockey, but it's still a hobby. I think the problem is that, our generation [ people from 15 to 35 ] is a lot different than the past generation. Before that, certain things were considered abnormal and if you didn't follow those "rules, you were treated in a really bad way by people around you. People aren't as "brainwashed" by the society now. Some people actually don't want to conform. I'm not saying you should try not to conform, but you shouldn't force yourself to conform if you don't want to.

I don't want to sound preachy ; but in my opinion, you can do anything you want in this world as long as you aren't injuring anyone. You shouldn't even question yourself, but these people who tell you that you're too old. If they're so concerned by you not comforming into our society, they should learn to accept you how you are. If they think it's childish, fine. I won't talk about the "childish" thing because everyone who replied to that thread voiced my opinion on this. But.. What's so wrong with childish? Are you threatening anyone? I don't think so. :P

Why do you say that you watch anime more than you should? You shouldn't even care about that in my opinion. My mother is 46 and she spends at LEAST 6 hours on the phone every day.. What does that change from watching anime? Some people always work, or always watch TV. It's the same thing. Just do what you want ^_^ Watch anime as much as you want...

If I were you, I'd try and look for people your age who like anime. I do a lot of things that aren't considered normal for my age, and I used to be ashamed of it, but I found people who felt the same way as I did..

FMPFaN83
2003-11-26, 01:06
I disagree with Kurara we live in a society where you need to preceive what other feel about us. As far as anime goes, my psych prof once said that something is only a dysfunction that needs treating if it interferes with you day to day life.

That being said sometimes you have to relize there is a a stigma on anime, and everyone isn't gonna preceive it as a normal healthy thing to do.

Me i like it, and i intend to enjoy it in approiate dosages ;)

Koshiba
2003-11-26, 01:17
Well personally.. I could care less what people think of me or my interests. ;) It doesn't really bother me.

Kurara
2003-11-26, 01:30
I disagree with Kurara we live in a society where you need to preceive what other feel about us. As far as anime goes, my psych prof once said that something is only a dysfunction that needs treating if it interferes with you day to day life.

That being said sometimes you have to relize there is a a stigma on anime, and everyone isn't gonna preceive it as a normal healthy thing to do.

Me i like it, and i intend to enjoy it in approiate dosages ;)

I understand your opinion, but personally, I don't think people should care what other people think of them unless they really are hurting others... ^^;; It's just the way I feel, though.

xfordained
2003-11-26, 03:42
for me its mostly addiction and that fact that i hate being around ppl for a long period of time i need to be alone to think and calm down and go deep into insanity since thats what i like so you could say a little of mental instability. (>'-')> ANIME <("<)
(i think this all depends on were you are from and the feeling towards childish actions that your certin environment has,just like good and bad which is determined by scociety-opinion of a person who has lost touch with reality a long time ago)

Kempis Curious
2003-12-07, 02:21
The part that riles us here is the American cultural idea that animation is for children. The saddest part is when people make judgments based on local cultural ideas without testing to see if they are accurate first.

If you dismiss anime as being for children, you're missing out on (what I feel) is the highest artform humans have created. :D Just as (I feel) paintings are a superior artform to photography, animation is superior to live-action.

-k

Orchunter226
2003-12-07, 03:14
I like u alls outlook on life. Its so laid back like me. Ill tell you this, im pretty popular in my neighborhood and in my "click" and i watch loads of anime with my friends and we are seen as childish by adults. (we're 16-17) So just dont care what other think and if they dont like who you are, screw them. I do that and ive lost friends over it but ive gained a lot more because i was just being me. Oh and hey we all only live life once so i think we shoudl enjoy it the way we want how we want and if people dont liek then they can go live there own damn lives.

oops sorry for the outrageous comments. Looks up ^ oh yea :)

JohnArk
2003-12-07, 08:24
Simple... if there's no anime in my life, what is there? I could become a couch potato watching my hockey game with beer and doritos on my belly. Or I could be watch the new season of Angel or some reality show crap on TV.

But no... I watch anime. And what's so different than a 40 year old watching an action movie? Aren't adults supose to only watch the news, soap operas and the such? Not really...

You have a social-disorder if you litterally don't talk to anyone and spend your days watching animes non-stop. Animes for me is like a good cigarette... if I don't get my dose, I go crazy. Once I have my dose of anime, I can stop and do other stuff.

Muraki
2003-12-07, 11:14
crappy real shows...hmm...

stuff like Charmed with the villain of the week theme and they say animated stuff is for children...(pshhhss)

Lain
2003-12-07, 11:24
Indeed. I don't see how anyone could watch...say, Akira or Serial Experiments: Lain and still think anime is for kids.

Anime filled with childish shit, but then again, so is everything else. There are tons of childish movies. Hell, go watch American Pie and tell me it's a mature work of art. It ain't.

Basicly, I say this: Anyone willing to assume certain negative things about you because of stereotypes associated with what you're doing is someone not worthy of your attention.

Laguna
2003-12-07, 14:16
Well I haven't got much to add on this one. As said before in this thread, you shouldn't ponder all that much what others think about your hobbies. You can always get friends (if not irl, then internet) who have same hobbies, and get support that way. If you can't live with fact that majority of people just don't understand why grown-up watches animated stuff, then you have bad self-esteem, and need to work on that one/give up anime, and go play hockey.

And as for other people not familiar to anime: it isn't all that hard to explain "why" you like anime. Couple of my friends were typical "anime=pokemon, ten7acle rape" type before, but after showing them couple eps of Hellsing, opinions miraculously changed ;) (and now they are drooling anime devouring zombies Nyahahaa!!1 j/k).
So, good way to make this anime=kid stuff stereotype go away is that you personally introduce your hobby to people.

And as for watching too much anime:
"Obsessing over something is salt of life.. tho nobody like's too salty soup either." -me (I loov aphorisms ;) )

Kempis Curious
2003-12-07, 21:21
So just dont care what other think and if they dont like who you are, screw them. I do that and ive lost friends over it but ive gained a lot more because i was just being me.

Yeah! :)

It's easier to be friends with people who think the same way you do.

-k

Doddler
2003-12-07, 21:47
Anime is just a medium to tell a story. To say that one medium is better than the other is just being foolish. Each has thier own advantages, and disadvantages, and can tell a story just as well as any other. To say that anime is better than live action, radio drama, novels, or even any north american produced entertainment isn't thinking. One however CAN say they *prefer* anime over other forms of entertainment based on its specific merits.

Now lets change directions completely here.

That said, I'm an S class anime addict. I won't deny this, if someone asks, I will tell. And not just anime, anime related things. I watch anime, play anime related games, listen to radio drama's based off anime. I'm in love with anime. But I don't let it bother me, or affect the rest of my life. This is what keeps it within the bounds of nomality. Anime is a lifestyle for me. Many people will undoubtedly find it wrong, and may very easily find offense if I let them know that I play 18+ anime dating sims (Watch, I'll get some people here saying it too :P). But, anime is a hobby, a passion. But, I personally say that as long as it doesn't have any negative impact on your life, and those around you, then go for it all the way.

Doddler

Mephisto03
2003-12-08, 06:17
I thnk the saddest thing in america relating to anime is the people who don't watch it and you somehow bring anime up even for a plit second and the first thing that comes out of there mouth is "you mean that japanese porn stuff?". Most of the time I laugh but it gets kinda old/annoying after a while.

Elin
2003-12-08, 06:25
*laughs* My parents and brothers say they're 'just kids cartoons', so err...watching anime and avoiding their criticism is difficult. :p Normally I just stay up till about 2AM and watch anime then when everyone else is asleep. Is that because I enjoy anime THAT much, or because I need it? I dunno... It's certainly the behaviour of an addict, considering pre-anime I got early nights every night, and now I find myself majorly sleep deprived most days :D

CardCaptorMoody
2004-01-17, 17:41
Is being 'childish' that bad? I am a 16 year old that still likes to watch the cookie monster get in to all kinds of trouble and 'the count' count to 10. I have also taken a liking to new shows such as Blues Clues, and Dora the Explorer. I know these aren't animes, but what i am trying to say here is that so what if you enjoy watching shows about a kid and his pocket monster, does it really make you stupider? I know it doesn't make me less intelegent, i am in IB (a gifted program). I have even found that when i act normaly (my childish self), i end up with 10x the amount of friends then when i force myself to hide such things and pretend to know who won the supper bowl XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXIV. I know it might sound generic and all but just be yourself and respect others for who they are and they should do the same to you.

Trin
2004-01-17, 18:32
i get really annoyed with people who dismiss all anime as either pokemon-like kiddie crap or porn. it just shows that they aint got a clue and you probably shouldn't be talking to them in teh first place.

another thing that really pisses me off where i live is that anime and manga are considered as guys stuff. i'm really into shounen manga and gory violent stuff anime (as well as the occasional dose of shoujo fluff ^^). so when guys who're into anime find out that i'm into that stuff they're a little weirded out. it's really strange actually and probably just the repressed society stuff left over from last century.

bluemist
2004-01-18, 05:56
Parents: They ignore my anime. They know I watch these stuff, but they usually don't care. Sometimes though they exclaim to me: "Hey, do you know/speak Japanese already?". Quite funny remarks.

Sister: My imouto don't like anime, but she likes cartoons. THE THING IS SHE LIKES ASIAN DRAMA! Since we have lots of Taiwanese, Chinese and Korean dramas here, she eats them like I eat my anime, and she is a definite F4 fan (F4-boyband in Taiwan, derived from Hana Yori Dango's F4 actually).

Friends and classmates: They have lots of different stuff goind on in their lives, and most of them have certain awareness of anime. They know it's sometimes not for kids. And the boys especially, they like sports anime like Slam Dunk and Hajime no Ippo but are NOT regular anime viewers mind you.

I think it depends on the environment, but at least in the social spectrum that I live in everyday, no one seems to bash anime as kiddie cartoons or porn.

madeener
2004-01-18, 06:58
Social Dysfunction? You gotta be kidding. Watching porno videos and than stereotyping woman as instruments for sex is even worst.

h3lldiver
2004-01-18, 12:06
hm this thread is interesting, to be honest i used to think like him, but not anymore :) . im 21 and i will love anime and manga until i died

7thMethuselah
2004-01-18, 17:47
alot of interesting opinions in this thread.

I'm 27 and in my opinion you should do whatever you feel like in your free time, I mean life suxx enough allready as it is. The people around me have different opinions on anime, my parents think it's children stuff but they don't mind at all since they know I just about HATE everything shown on regular tv (you wouldn't believe the crap that's on these days). They actually think it's better to look for things you like to see then just consume what some tv studio decides you should see.

My friends , some consider is violent cartoons full of sex, I just completely ignore their opinions since with complete idiots like that it's useless to start a discussion. Most of my friends are however open minded and have allready asked to borrow a few series to see if they like them (and some actually started watching anime too, not as much as I do however).

In short if you really like anime, watch it as much as you can! Other people's opinions matter but they shouldn't control your life. Anime is not a social dysfunction at all it's just a hobby that not too many people have (at least not araound here) and I find it's alot more fun then anything else on tv.

The weird thing is, even though many people tend to look weird at you for watching anime, they find the fact that adults read manga very normal. Adults reading comic books is allready socially accepted, I think in time as it people will accept that adults watch what they consider cartoons (but which, as we all know, aren't in fact cartoons at all).

pathyfinder
2004-01-18, 19:13
Sorry GrayArea, my hair is already red! :eek: too late for help here, but I was born that way. Must of been a sign for me to love anime :love: :heh:

My kids "awaked" me to anime. Like most agree, it's is FAR BETTER than anything else on USA TV. And hey, I LOVE THE COOKIE MONSTER!

In the olden days our folks, grand folks, great grand folks had to work hard to get a little bit of money together to buy a comic book and share and discuss it with their friends. i'm not up on all of this put comics like SuperMan, Spiderman, and Batman and Robin eventually turned into LIVE ACTION TV SERIES that did great!

The "Flintstones" started in a prime time TV slot when it first came out and was made for adults.

Not that any of these compare to what we see today in anime, but it is part of why we will always enjoy our favorite anime show when others around us don't. It's sad for them not us. :sad:

We are so controlled and sensored on what we can and can not watch, so we all go out of our way to get what we want using our modems and cable lines. If they made a all anime TV station USING SUB TITLES they would make oh so much money as people would watch. Gear the commercials toward the younger generation that has money to spend and watch it take off.... well, I girl can dream eh? Well, I'm well into my 30's and I enjoy J-Pop also.

Enjoy and don't stop watching for no one.... if they make you they are not your friend. If you function and get out and just don't sit all day at the computer you are ok. :D

Charmplus
2004-01-18, 20:08
To get at the root of this 'problem' you have to consider yourself a little bit more. Why? Because the only two reasons someone would try to make anime seem geeky/unacceptable is you as a person, and ignorance on their part. People don't just go out of their way to make fun of you for no reason.

I will not be discussing why anime is considered geeky. Only that people will use anything as a weapon against you.

Parents:
You parents are concerned for you, and they care about your future. If they see that you're watching cartoons for a considerable amount of the day then they will definitley be concerned. If you are not doing homework, not getting a job, not going to school because of this, then they will be concerned. An easy way to question what you do is to 'attack' you emotionally, in this case, they target your anime, calling it 'childish'. But that's not their point, their point is that you need to get off your ass. Other things will be lack of communication, and ignorance. They do not know what you're actually watching, and so they try to connect with you any way they can. And since maybe the only thing they know about it is being a cartoon, they target that first. The important thing to remember here is that they're concerned about you as their kid.

example:
-- "Why are you watching so many cartoons? You should go outside and enjoy life more."

Friends/Peers:
These people only want to push you down and make fun of you. Your anime addiction is a good/easy way to do this for them. Ignorance on their part (and taking advantage of others' ignorance) will help fuel this.

example:
--*in front of others* "So, still watch a lot of that japanese cartoon-porn?" (knowledge in this case doesn't matter, the person only wishes to bring you down, even if all the people truly knew what anime was (but don't watch it) they'd still laugh)

People will use anything they can to make fun of you. Even though this is obvious it's certainly the cause of stereotyping of hobby related things. People are indirectly offended/intimidated by others who are different. Being different means being an individual, and what's more offending than someone who's more individualistic than you? Self-esteem boosting also comes into play.

To prove this, take anything hobby related (except art and anything feminine, except in cases where it's the man doing the feminine thing ;). males are more concerned about superiority than females since they need to 'show off' their manliness to those females) like writing, sports, computer, cars, or tv. Anyone of those have bad stereotypes on them.

Anime isn't the exception.

My opinion? Ignore the people who put you down, and listen to your parents. Or you could totally go and pwn the person who's putting you down by attacking their hobby too. Your choice.

Asakura_Y0h
2004-01-19, 04:34
wow, that was long....

Anyway, Hi, my name is Asakura... and I'm an animatic?? In other words... anime addict....

In my opinion, there are ppl who love watching animes as a hobby (addiction if you may call it)... but I also think that there are ppl who take animes to the extreme... even living them...

Basically... you become socially dysfunctional if you believe you are naruto and born with a kyubi ... simple as that... acting like naruto ok... buying sharingan contacts.. fine.... believing that you are that character and insist others believe you are... no...

I had a friend who believed that he was a kenshin reincarnate... bought a kendo stick... learnt it (was even practising in cold rain cos he thought it would make him stronger)... and only wanted to date Japanese girls cause he really thought that he was kenshin and that he needed to find that girl ( can't remember her name) who was in love with kenshin... If we didn't stop him he was gonna carve an X in his own face.. (I really hope he doesn't read this forum if not he would know I'm gossiping about him here... yikes)