PDA

View Full Version : Anime Magazines

Crimson
2003-11-26, 06:51
Does anyone here buys this anime magazine? I've been wanting to get this magazine for a while now but i couldn't find a place to purchase it. So if anyone buys it and knows a place where i can buy the current issue i would greatly appreciate it.

Wandering A.I.
2003-11-26, 10:10
I've never shopped in Long Island (I do crash a friends house there to enjoy the beaches every summer, though ^^), but Manhattan has several Japanese book stores you could look up and visit Asahiya, Book Off, Kinokuniya. There used to be one right next to Grand Central I always used to browse at which I know had Megami, but I think they closed (not so bad for me actually since I always had to tack an extra hour or two onto my travel times to college or the Japan Society for that, hehehe). T.T

Anyway, the other option is just subscribing from some third party. Several sites are willing to ship the magazine to you each month. I currently use animenation.com to get Megami sent each month, but I subscribed over a year ago so other places might offer better prices now. They do use these hard flat cardboard packages that protect the magazine nicely (and you get a tracking number), though, and have always been great on the phone to me (changing address, renewing, etc).

Edit: I decided to clean out my favorites in this area so here are some links ^^:
http://www.kinokuniya.com/newyork/location.html (there's also one at the Mitsuwa in Edgewater with a bus from the Port Authority and back)
http://www.bookoff.co.jp/shops/shop7002.html (might be the one that closed, call first)
http://www.asahiya.com/shop/index.html (NYC store listed bottom right)
http://store.yahoo.com/animenation/subscript-megami.html
Phone book or web search might be more up to date, hehehe.

Wandering A.I.
2003-11-26, 10:27
BTW, wasn't the last issue the one full of bloomers posters? Guess we know your weakness, hehehe. ^^ j/k

LynnieS
2003-11-26, 10:34
The Kinokuniya bookstore in Manhattan is on W49th and across from the skating rink in Rockerfeller Center (at the corner of Fifth Avenue).

Asahiya has reopened on E45th between Madison and Fifth.

Both should carry Megami in stock; Asahiya might have the better price for it, however.

[maven]
2003-11-26, 10:43
You can buy single issues as well as subscriptions from JList (http://www.jlist.com), good service and fast shipping. Left way too much money to them already...

Crimson
2003-11-26, 11:10
']You can buy single issues as well as subscriptions from JList (http://www.jlist.com), good service and fast shipping. Left way too much money to them already...

Thanks for the info guys, i wish i had to money to go to manhattan right now, and i really don't want to travel all the way there to buy a magazine. Thats for the info though because now i know where i can buy the magazine the city whenever i go there.

I'm going to check out Jlist to see what they have ^^

Crimson
2003-11-26, 11:40
OMG!, Jlist is charging 6.80 for shipping and handling, thats crazy o.O.

Koshiba
2003-11-26, 11:51
OMG!, Jlist is charging 6.80 for shipping and handling, thats crazy o.O.

Eh.. That seems to be how much all the other places are charging for shipping and handling too.

zalas
2003-11-26, 13:01
Eh.. That seems to be how much all the other places are charging for shipping and handling too.
Oh well, if you live in New York, going over to Kinokuniya to pick up the latest copy is the best deal IMO. I've found the Mitsuwa Kinokuniya to carry a lot more of these types of magazines, along with phonebooks. Maybe I just got lost in the manhattan one :)

LynnieS
2003-11-26, 15:10
JList is based out of Japan, no? You're sending stuff across the Pacific and across the U.S. if so, and it's only a magazine.

You might get a better deal if you call up either Kinokuniya or Asahiya directly and ask if they offer a monthly subscription service for the title. There is usually a minimum number of months to which you have to commit - like 3 to 6 months, I think - and payment is in advance; that's the way Kinokuniya handled my subscription to "Shonen" in the past.

Add in the U.S. postal mail, though, you're not too likely to save a huge deal doing it this way - assuming that they're can do non-first class postage for shipping.

zalas - LOL! Kinonuniya can use some rearrangement of its stock and shelves, IMHO...

Edit - Actually, JList looks to be based out of San Diego, but they may be shipping directly out of Japan instead of holding a selection in a warehouse in the U.S.

Cz
2003-11-26, 17:58
Animenation has NewType (which I want) for $9.95 per month, plus $6.50 shipping. Wow, that's almost $17 per issue, which is quite a lot of money. :eek: Oh how I wish I stayed in New York (or even better, in Japan! :p)

Princess_of_Hell
2004-03-13, 18:48
Which ones do you read? What do you like better? Do you have/read any Japanese magazines?

Here is the cover for the April issue of NewType (JP):
http://www.web-newtype.com/release/releas_img/newt_p.jpg

Kurara
2004-03-13, 18:59
I admit I don't read a lot of anime magazines. ^^;; I used to read Animerica and Protoculture Addicts but they were too expensive, so I stopped buying them.. Also they wouldn't necessarily review recent series at the time, so I started buying video game mags instead. :P I sometimes buy Newtype if I have money, though. ^^;

Kaoru
2004-03-13, 21:10
I don't buy many anime mags due to lack of money, but I do read them from time to time. I'll pickup Newtype (both japanese and english) or Protoculture Addicts whenever I go to the bookstore. I favor these two because I'm all about content. Lots of pictures and goodies, especially when they cover a favorite anime of mine. ^_^

Kaka
2004-03-14, 20:48
although they are expensive, I sometimes do buy the magazines
cuz what they are giving out are pretty attracting :D

Aaron_b
2004-03-14, 22:57
I used to buy Animerica off of the rack and read it faithfully years ago... But their articles and interviews began to water down, and soon I just wasn't attracted to it anymore. Plus, it's expensive. As for Newtype, I don't buy it often, but if there is a cover story that I absolutely must read about then I'll purchase an issue (such as Witch Hunter Robin last fall). But I don't buy it frequently because, well, it's expensive. As far as online magazines go, I read Animefringe.come every month (I kind of have to... :P).

Kyuven
2004-03-14, 23:18
i buy newtype as much as possible
i must be their exact sale demographic because the last 6 months have all had articles, posts, and centerfolds that appeal to me
it also helps me in my manga/anime purchasing decisions (even though i tend to buy the manga before the review comes out -_-)

<xellos>
2004-03-14, 23:18
i like this magazine called Anime Insider, but as for NewType, for Canada its $145 for a subscription, and theres only one place in my city to pick up the magazine

Za Paper
2004-03-14, 23:36
I subscribe to Newtype USA. What I like about it are the large color pictures and info on just about every upcoming or now airing anime. Something the other anime magazines just dont have.

ShanChan
2004-03-14, 23:45
I don't really read Anime Magazines myself...I wish I had the money and time to.

bluemist
2004-03-15, 04:39
I used to buy Newtype regularly, but lately I stopped because it felt like I'm just scanning through the pages and just looking at the pictures instead of reading.

With enough research I can find the same kind of content on the internet.

I would want to buy it from time to time if the articles are interesting.

ElvenPath
2004-03-15, 09:33
I used to occasionally purchase Newtype USA and AnimeLand (http://www.animeland.com) but stopped since most of the information contained inside both magazines could be usually found online.

zalas
2004-03-15, 11:27
I used to buy Newtype regularly, but lately I stopped because it felt like I'm just scanning through the pages and just looking at the pictures instead of reading.
Hrm... kinda the same here. I'd only buy Newtype, Animedia, Animage only if they provided exclusive content. For example, things I would look out for would be promo discs, song lyrics, good artwork, etc. All the information can be found online usually.

Wilcon
2004-03-15, 13:15
I dont read anye atm, but i´m thinking on starting a prenumeration on either Animerica or Newtype, but i´m not sure which :)

Newtype is twice as expensive as Animerica, but maybe Newtype is alot better... any tips :confused:

btw, is Newtype only on Japanese? dont know any japanese so :)

kj1980
2004-03-15, 13:16
I read two magazines on a monthly basis, and several others when I like the extras (posters, DVDs, figures, etc) that comes with them.

"Newtype Magazine" (Japanese version) and "Comptiq Magazine" are the two magazines that I buy every month. Though "Newtype" is biased towards Kadokawa-friendly anime studios, they do offer the best detailed picture on what is in production and what is an anime to be on the look out for. Same holds true for "Comptiq," as they mainly focus on major PC-games. And recently, their pages did increase by a lot...although most of the increase in pages comes from serialized manga like "D.C~da capo~," "Pia Carrot 3," "Lime-iro Senkitan," and "Demonbaine."

Several others include "Weekly Watashi no Oniichan" (limited publication five weeks only - included a very moe~ figure), "TechGian," "Dengeki Hime Magazine" and "Dengeki G's Magazine." Like I said, I only buy them if the extras seems worth buying - like the moe~ imouto figurines in "WataOni" and MuvLuv Alternative demo movie DVDs in "TechGian." However, I am currently contemplating to add "TechGian" into my monthly buying schedule as it offers a pretty good info on new ero-game titles that are not covered as much as in "Comptiq."

<xellos>
2004-03-15, 14:58
there is NewType and a NewTyp USA, so you can get NewType in English

Kyuven
2004-03-15, 15:05
Newtype USA is backed mostly by ADV (bandai and geneon too...a little) so the columns and such have a slight bias towards ADV licensed stuff (3 volumes in a row featured Maburaho articles)

Wandering A.I.
2004-03-15, 19:02
Wow, no other Megami subscribers here? Oo Are you not men!? j/k ;p
For people who don't know, Megami's primary draw is the huge number of posters (~over ten double sided fold out posters and one larger pack in each month). Although as the name would suggest the focus is on characters, specifically of the female and hot/cute variety. It's also nice seeing what ero games are coming up in back after the anime coverage...

>I stopped because it felt like I'm just scanning through the pages and just looking at the pictures instead of reading.

If you go to an anime club see if you can get the club to pay for some subscriptions and/or just have people bring theirs in to trade/loan/read during the more boring series. I'll usually loan my Megami to friends in exchange for Newtype and Newtype USA, but don't consider the other anime magazines worth letting other people get fingerprints on my girls...

Aaron_b
2004-03-15, 20:15
i like this magazine called Anime Insider...
When I first saw that magazine it just happened to be the premiere issue. Although rather decent in its appeal, I found that it was a rather generalized source of information. With a little effort one can find all of the material contained within, weeks prior to its release. Granted, I haven't read the magazine aside from its first two or three issues, mayeb they've changed their format somewhat, but from what I remembered it articles, both news and reviews I felt were telling me something that I already knew. Not to say that it's a bad magazine, but it's not for me in that its approach to anime fandom is a couple years behind me...

Lina Inverse
2004-03-15, 21:54
I generally don't buy any because it#s too expensive. I don't have much money at my disposition as a college student (and now that they came up with a scheme to rip off the students big time, it got even much less :mad: ), so I generally get the information I need from the net.

Wilcon
2004-03-16, 11:06
Are Animerica and Newtype only dealing news with licensed anime, or do they announce new series that are developing(but not licensed or maybe not even finished)?

Za Paper
2004-03-16, 11:29
Are Animerica and Newtype only dealing news with licensed anime, or do they announce new series that are developing(but not licensed or maybe not even finished)?

Newtype USA has information about developing anime in Japan as well as currently airing shows. Animerica last time I checked didnt have much about new shows in Japan. I also like Newtype because they have a J-pop section.

xxziggybitsxx
2004-03-16, 11:31
Personally.. NEWSTYPE > Then everything :). It is like the best mag EVER http://www.cugy.net/forum/images/smilies/XD.gif

Wilcon
2004-03-16, 11:44
Newtype USA has information about developing anime in Japan as well as currently airing shows. Animerica last time I checked didnt have much about new shows in Japan. I also like Newtype because they have a J-pop section.
OK, thanks, i just ordered the March number of both Animerica and Newtype(newtype were twice as expensive :heh:), so i'll se which's best :)

Saouri
2004-03-17, 13:18
Hello!
Sadly, here in Latinamerica we haven't a lot of magazines about anime. Mexico and Argentina have a couple, if i'm not wrong (Conexión Manga and Lazer).
I use to buy the magazines from Spain: Minami, Dokan, Shirase and Animedia.
The problem is...are too late (almost 6 month of diference between the date of publication, and the date of coming to my contry) and almost all time thay talk about series they are watching.
Animedia use to talk just about the new series in Japan and i really adore this magazine.

A friend from France sent me the last december 4 numbers of AnimeLand, and i need to say is a wonderful magazine too.

Aaron_b
2004-03-17, 15:04
Newtype is the moving pictures magazine for what's new and hapening in Japan; such as new manga, anime and soundtrack releases. The magazine also carrie the occaisional interviews with seiyuu and has editorials from those in the industry as well.

Animerica, think of it more as a fan made magazine here in the states. It has reviews and feature articles like any other anime magazine that a group of American anime fans might put together. Therefore, this magazine deals more exclusively with what's going on stateside (acquisitions and releases) and not necessarily developmental projects that are continuing over in Japan (as Newtype would).

The Undertaker
2006-04-12, 21:15
Newtype? Anime Insider? Just wondering

Vexx
2006-04-12, 21:36
I'm curious as well... I was thinking of subscribing to one but I'd prefer one that actually had *information* rather than filled with fluff ads. So this thread will be interesting to browse I hope.

sorvani
2006-04-12, 22:19
i subscribe to newtype, for the quantity and variety of reviews. they are not just DVD reviews.

rooboy
2006-04-12, 22:25
They're both fluff-a-licious. I read Newtype occasionally, and I've read a couple of issues of Anime Insider. If I were to pick, I'd probably go with Newtype. Anime Insider is, in my opinion, the more superficial of the two magazines (but it's cheaper). Newtype has a definite ADV bent to it (unsurprisingly, as it is ADV's magazine), but when it does cover something (and it covers more than just anime) it is significantly more indepth. It does cover other licensors, it just seems like ADV gets a disproportionate amount of the attention. Plus it's significantly more expensive (though it is the higher quality of the two).

For a second I almost answered "Weekly Shonen Magazine and Monthly Shonen Magazine" before I realized the question was what _anime_ magazine do you usually read.

wingdarkness
2006-04-12, 23:34
Definatley NEWTYPE...While I love the suggestions of you anime-freaks it's always great to actually see profiles, reviews, and Illustrations of upcoming and already availiable anime...Usually after flipping thru an issue of NT I'm already ready to check out or am pining over a new show...Yeah it's the American version and to a few just hearing that turns them into negative nay-sayers...But Unlike the casual reader I actually know how to sift thru what's propaganda-fodder and what's just good magazine fodder...Basically that's the only anime magazine that's worth a damn at Barnes and Nobles...The price kind of fluctuates from time to time and that irritates me a bit (because of the FREE [really not free :rolleyes: ] DVD and special insert posters), but I guess I got 10-15 dollar$ to spend each month...Overall it's a high quality Magazine with plenty of information for the most part (Not overtly Fluff at all)...haven't seen anything US-based that's even close to as good as NT...

Disembodied Voice
2006-04-13, 01:24
Rather than read, I'll just say I collect Megami and e-animedia's seiyuu magazine mostly.

Potatochobit
2006-04-13, 02:51
i would like to order new type but its a little expensive for me atm.

so i subscribed to shojo beat.

lol....

sei
2006-04-13, 03:04
A bit off-topic here;
Which is the best out of these three mags?Animedia,animage & newtype?

btw,i subscribe newtype(jap ver.)

Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
2006-04-13, 07:32
I subscribe to Megami (yes, I have a lot of posters) and of course get whatever odd ones here and there that interrest me. But moreso for add-on's than news. The net is far faster than magazines, and it's free.

Back in the VHS days I'd get Animerica. HAHAHAHA. I remember selling a Cutey Honey ad and a Homeroom Affairs ad to a classmate for $5cdn.

I also used to get Monthly Comic Dragon, if that counts (more of a manga anthology) but I stopped when the shipper I was using went sour.

Out of all the current magazines, I choose Megami because it just screams quality, and I can easily make back the book's cost by selling any posters I don't want.

I also get Megami Deluxe whenever it interrested me. *hugs his Vol 6* because it's a big moneymaker too.

The Undertaker
2006-04-13, 20:23
So would you recommend buying Megami? JList has a subscription available and I'm wondering if it's a good investment.

I subscribe to Megami (yes, I have a lot of posters) and of course get whatever odd ones here and there that interrest me. But moreso for add-on's than news. The net is far faster than magazines, and it's free.

Back in the VHS days I'd get Animerica. HAHAHAHA. I remember selling a Cutey Honey ad and a Homeroom Affairs ad to a classmate for $5cdn.

I also used to get Monthly Comic Dragon, if that counts (more of a manga anthology) but I stopped when the shipper I was using went sour.

Out of all the current magazines, I choose Megami because it just screams quality, and I can easily make back the book's cost by selling any posters I don't want.

I also get Megami Deluxe whenever it interrested me. *hugs his Vol 6* because it's a big moneymaker too.

Kata
2006-04-13, 20:28
Subscribe to Newtype, it's borderline cheaper and the magazine is gorgeous I have the american ones spanning back to 2002 when it first got translated and stuff.

sorvani
2006-04-13, 20:40
buying newtype at the news stand is not worth it. i only did it for 6 months till i decided i actually did like it enough to keep reading it. that's when i subscribed. 40% savings is worth it. i had problems with a few issues getting here, and a polite email to ntUSA was answered within a couple days and they sent me a new copy first class instead of bulk.

Disembodied Voice
2006-04-14, 04:35
So would you recommend buying Megami? JList has a subscription available and I'm wondering if it's a good investment.

Megami is good scanning material and if you have the photoshop retouching skills, you'll have image sigs for life. However IMO, Newtype has the edge in overall content. Can't go wrong with either.

Trance
2006-05-27, 13:19
Hi, can someone tell me if there's an english language anime magazine which is updated with the on-going anime in Japan? If not, can someone point out some other good magazines? Thanks!!! :D

Kamui4356
2006-05-27, 13:58
Hi, can someone tell me if there's an english language anime magazine which is updated with the on-going anime in Japan? If not, can someone point out some other good magazines? Thanks!!! :D
You could try Newtype usa. Though, I find the internet a much better source for anime news than any publications.

Trance
2006-05-27, 22:19
I know, I just think it's a bit more fun fliping a magazine. Thanks for the help :)

Catgirls
2006-05-27, 22:47
Hi, can someone tell me if there's an english language anime magazine which is updated with the on-going anime in Japan? If not, can someone point out some other good magazines? Thanks!!! :DYou might find some good suggestions in this old thread. Cheers. :)

Chiibi
2006-05-27, 22:55
New-Type is too expensive for me. x_x I really miss Animerica. ;_; But going to these forums helps me out a lot with the latest news.:D

I'm a Ribon fangirl even though it's meant for girls much younger than me. I don't care! XD

errorrrr
2006-10-07, 23:18
does those japanese bookstore in New York do subscriptions for you? like send you issue every month?

moyism
2006-10-08, 00:55
^ if I remember, they'll hold it for you. You'll still need to pick them up at the store itself.

Aoie_Emesai
2006-10-13, 13:28
BTW, wasn't the last issue the one full of bloomers posters? Guess we know your weakness, hehehe. ^^ j/k

hahahaa ^_^. I'll shut up now.

--

17$ for an issue isn't really much of a deal. "cough" Tor***tz "cough" "hack" "wheeze"
Just checked some of the prices, 131$ for a years issue plus shipping (meaning it's included).

shermanramni
2006-10-17, 11:09
I'm dying to get a good anime magazine, and Newtype (the Japanese version) looks a really good bet. Does anyone know how can I subscribe to the magazine?
P.D.: I don't live in Japan, but I can order overseas.

Sherman

Shakugan no Shana
2006-10-17, 11:26
http://pc.webnt.jp/
I don't think you can get a subscription if you don't live in japan.. But thats just me, I'm not really sure.

I'm happy with my NewTypeUSA.

Aoie_Emesai
2006-10-17, 11:55
Like Shakugan no Shana said, there's probably no way to get a japanese subscription from Japan, and most likely you'll have to buy them indivually from a good site that pre-orders them or something of that nature.

ps: Subscriptions are too expensive for me. Except WOW.

shermanramni
2006-10-17, 14:45
Oh... well, what about Megami? That mag is cool too.

Aoie_Emesai
2006-10-17, 14:49
Oh... well, what about Megami? That mag is cool too.

I saw a site that did subscription for Megami, 131$ for a years subscriptions, its around 11$ per. Though i'm not sure if the shipping is included.

ps: I don't remember the site, don't ask ^_^.

shermanramni
2006-10-17, 16:29
I found Animebooks.com (in http://www.animebooks.com). Does anyone know about it? The order handling is through Yahoo!, so that gives trust. But if someone knows about it, please let me know.

relentlessflame
2006-10-17, 18:03
I saw a site that did subscription for Megami, 131$ for a years subscriptions, its around 11$ per. Though i'm not sure if the shipping is included.

ps: I don't remember the site, don't ask ^_^.Well, perhaps you were thinking of CD Japan, which offers a number of magazine subscriptions (http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/magazine/index.html). The problem is that the shipping costs more than the magazines themselves, and I'm not sure if there'd be a way to combine multiple subscriptions to reduce the average per-item cost. What I do, personally, is order the magazines as they appear on Amazon.co.jp, but that does require you to be a bit more "on top" of things (you have a 2-3 week window between pre-order and sell-out), and it's only cheaper if you're ordering a bunch of items at once.

shermanramni
2006-10-17, 19:25
I just checked CDJapan magazines and... the mags aren't expensive, but the shipping is, and a LOT (1-yr subscription=69 USD, 1-yr subscription + shipping to Chile=297 USD :S). That's bloodsucking.

Kiety
2007-01-06, 07:02
:O not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know where to get past issues (new, unopened) of Megami Megazine? For example Jan -> Dec 2006.

tx ^__^)v

sry if this is the wrong place to ask

Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
2007-01-06, 10:31
I get Megami every month and if I said I got it for the articles I'd be a fat stinkin liar:)

Book of posters for the win:)

Kiety
2007-01-06, 13:12
if u get ground/non-express shipping its not *that* expensive from cdjapan, i'm planning to get it when i get back to canada ^___^)v tho have to wait 2 weeks for each vol to reach me >__<"

Riker
2007-01-06, 13:51
I get Megami every month and if I said I got it for the articles I'd be a fat stinkin liar:)

Book of posters for the win:)

Heh. I remember reading a comment by someone:

"When you buy Megami, you're actually paying for the posters that comes with a free magazine."

TronDD
2007-01-06, 14:59
:O not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know where to get past issues (new, unopened) of Megami Megazine? For example Jan -> Dec 2006.

tx ^__^)v

sry if this is the wrong place to ask

Seems animebooks has a few from 2006
http://www.animebooks.com/megamimagazine.html

Kiety
2007-01-06, 15:50
I've emailed them, hoping for a good response :D

tx for link btw ;)

i got vol 80 (january 2007) and was so impressed w/ the posters and eyecandy i decided to try and locate all of 2005 issues :D i'd try to get earlier ones too but figured its pretty much impossible >__<"

here's a link to some detailed pics of vol 80 for ppl wondering wat Megami is like ;)

http://www.moetron.com/2006/12/20/megami-magazine-vol-80/

btw, anyone care to give me some advice on how to remove the posters from the magazine :o ?! i havn't found a good way to do it without damaging the poster and/or the magazine

solomon
2007-01-08, 14:31
For asthetics, Newtype USA (and its offical japanese counterpart and rivals) cant be beat. They (N:USA is the only one I read extensively) had really great features like character line art, fan polls, columns, shoutbox, fanart, convention photos and at one point Tv ratings (it's really useless sure, but I like seeing how the japanese view anime for a fresh perspective)
I think Animerica was one of the best ones in terms of feature articles though. Particularly for an early issue detailing the troubled production of the Macross series (beyond what fansites have said about it in it's Robotech form). It provided a ton of info within the articles (per article) moreso than newtype IMHO, plus they actually had reviews that were not afraid of calling a bad show BAD. Newtype whitewashes and glosses over everything in their reviews. Protoculture; I've only read one issue of it. It's was boring looking asthetically compared to the other mags, but it was fair for some decent interviews and some seemingly objective reviews.

-KarumA-
2007-01-08, 14:37
our country only has one anime/manga/jpop magazine, Aniway
comes out every 2 months and started about 1 year ago, though the suckie part is everything that they have in their magazine has alady aired about 3-4 years before, though they have a series themed A3 poster in each magazine, so i buy it.. since theres no 'anime' anime postrs on sale here, i do see NewTYPE USA lying aroun in the comicstore (only store selling manga and other comics in a radius of 27 KM) but theyre mostly old editions and i would only buy one if it is actually intresting

Kiety
2007-01-15, 05:39
>___< got almost all of 2006 megami, only missing April issue (71)

Anyone living in japan willing to purchase Megami Magazine issue (71) from amazon.co.jp for my by any chance :O ? i'd pay in advance inc shipping and small tip ;) (via paypal)! they wouldn't ship it over to taiwan :(

Kiety
2007-01-15, 10:10
><a

double post ~_~

shermanramni
2007-02-15, 07:20
Gentlemen:

I just decided to get a Megami subscription.
Is anyone here subscribed to megami? If so, which website did you use? how was the experience?
Ive seen jbox.com as a possible candidate.

Thanks in advance.

Sherman

Icehawk
2007-02-15, 11:05
I collected Animerica a number of years back for a little bit. Then as soon as Newtype-USA came out, I dropped Animerica and collected the first 2 years worth of NT-USA , but then they decided to stop including a free DVD and so I decided to stop getting it. Even though they went back to including a DVD eventually, by then I'd lost the interest in collecting it, Ive been tempted to pick up an issue here or there but I'd prefer to spend my cash on other things at this point.

LionsMane
2007-02-15, 19:32
I used to buy anime magazines(Newtype, Animerica, Anime Insider etc...) almost on a regular basis but as time went on I only started buying a magazine if there was something I really wanted to see or read in it. Now I've stopped buying anime magazine's completely. IMO, they just aren't worth the money anymore.

relentlessflame
2007-02-17, 13:11
I just decided to get a Megami subscription.
Is anyone here subscribed to megami? If so, which website did you use? how was the experience?
Ive seen jbox.com as a possible candidate.A few days late, but oh well... I commented on that question a few months ago here (http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=710125&postcount=50). I've been getting Megami and a bunch of other magazines for almost a year now, but rather than get a subscription, I've been buying them month-to-month on Amazon.co.jp as part of my other orders. It's not a bad way for me because I typically place 2-4 orders with them per month. But it does mean that you have to really keep on top of things. They typically add the magazine to their site 1-2 weeks before the street date, and it's usually sold out within a few days of release. In a few cases, it's sold out before release. So, it is one option, but is really only viable if you're buying other things from them as well.

I've considered the idea of getting a subscription, but the problem is that all the sites I've seen deal with each subscription seperately, and so they ship each magazine independantly and charge you accordingly (and the first item in a shipment is always the expensive one). If there were a way to pool multiple magazine subscriptions into one monthly shipment, I'd definitely be game for that, as it'd save me a lot of time. But so long as you're only interested in subscribing to the one magazine, that point probably isn't all that relevant to you right now.

All in all, though, Megami is a nice magazine. Of course it's most famous for its posters, but it's pretty well put-together all around.

Takemaru
2007-02-20, 08:44
NewType is definitely the best. But ofcourse i would like to buy real Japanese magazines but in Finland there is no such shop that sells it. (Must order from Japan if i want) ;)

Kensuke
2007-02-20, 17:11
NewType is definitely the best. But ofcourse i would like to buy real Japanese magazines but in Finland there is no such shop that sells it. (Must order from Japan if i want) ;)
Doesn't Fennica Comics (in Helsinki) sell japanese magazines like Megami? I haven't visited it for a while, but perhaps later this week. ;)

Anyway, I sometimes buy Newtype USA when there is articles about the series I'm interested.

chrno_the_sinner
2007-02-20, 21:15
Everyone here keeps saying Newtype USA is the best, but it really isn't. They started to focus on mainly Licensed anime with only a few pages of something else, along with drastically reducing their page count. It's only good now for the DVD.

The magazine you really want to be looking out for is Protoculture Addicts. It's affiliated with AnimeNewsNetwork, so it has lots of news information. They also do reviews of unlicensed series and do quite a few series previews. Also, since it's published in Canada, it carries a price of $5.95 for both Canada and the US, both in their respective currencies. It's the cheapest and the best. Here's their summary of the latest issue:

This issue of Anime News Network's Protoculture Addicts introduces you to several anime series with Spotlights on Hellsing OVA (including an interview with Kouta Hirano & Yasuyuki Ueda), Mushishi and Voltron, as well as "Anime Stories" on Ergo Proxy, Nana, Paradise Kiss, Rescue Wings and Simoun. It features reports on recent conventions (Anime Boston) & festivals (Fantasia), anecdotes from Shujirou Hamakawa & Sumi Shimamoto, an interview with Katsumi Kawaguchi on GunPla modeling, a Fullmetal Alchemist movie timeline, more entries in our J-Pop database and a look at the Train Man phenomenon. It also includes another great manga preview (Mushishi), lots of reviews covering all sorts of recent anime & manga-related products (23 DVDs, 8 manga, 5 live-action movies, 2 CDs) as well as the latest news directly from the Anime News Network newsdesk!

I also subscribe to Shojo Beat and I've bought a couple issues of Megami when they were on sale in my local anime shop.

Takemaru
2007-02-21, 00:38
Doesn't Fennica Comics (in Helsinki) sell japanese magazines like Megami? I haven't visited it for a while, but perhaps later this week. ;)

Anyway, I sometimes buy Newtype USA when there is articles about the series I'm interested.

When you go to Fennica Comics , could you please PM me if there is any Japanese Magazines? I have visited it once, but never seen it. (But i havent search for it either:rolleyes: )

Mr JeburtO
2007-02-22, 10:47
Neo is ok, but i found somewhere that imports newtype from America and that makes me happy :)

Maritime
2007-03-27, 22:14
Can anyone recommend any decent Anime Magazines which will ship internationally? The only magazine I've been able to find thusfar which looks good is NewType USA, but I'm reluctant to spend $150 on a subscription to a magazine that I've never seen before and no next to nothing about.

Is NewType worth it? Or would my money be better spent elsewhere?

rooboy
2007-03-27, 22:31
Believe it or not there's actually already a thread where this was discussed a little while ago. Here it is. (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=9317&highlight=anime+magazines) That should let you see pretty much everyone's opinion on them.

EDIT: Dang Monir! I'd barely finished posting!

Samsara
2007-03-28, 07:36
I see a couple of earlier posts asking about where to purchase NewType directly from Japan...

CD Japan only offers subscriptions as relenlessflame pointed already out. For anyone who wants to buy just individual issues, another place to consider besides Amazon Japan is Hobby Link Japan (www.hlj.com). I go with the SAL shipping method. A new place I just discovered a few days ago is Club Japan (www.clubjapan.jp, site in Japanese) which sells both subscription and individual issues. I haven't used it myself yet but I see people on another forum using it quite frequently for CD's.

For NewType Romance, NewType Voice only Amazon Japan carries them afaik. Now that they've removed the economic shipping option, I am left without a place to get these since it's just way too expensive for me to pay like 3000Yen shipping for one item.

Maritime, if you've never read NewType USA before I think you should look through a copy first before placing a subscription. I know there are scans of the Japanese version of NewType for download, not sure if anbody bothers with NewType USA though.

ShounenOnmyoujiiscoo
2007-05-02, 22:42
I read Anime Insider

Yukito590
2007-10-17, 21:20
I've been looking around Jlist. I want to subscribe to a bishoujo magazine but not sure which one. If you have some suggestions on where I should order these other than J-list, please share. =3

For shipping references, I live in the United States.

There's Megami Magazine
and Dengeki G's Magazine

I wrote a looong email to Jlist 2 months ago but I'm guessing it got lost.

I really wanted this little busters! Issue of Dengeki G's Festival because of the pillow case it came with. I mostly want to buy the magazines for the goodies since I can't read Japanese. The pictures are nice too though, and having authentic Japanese magazines.

I wish I didn't miss out on the Airs Misuzu Pillow case that came from an issue. =( Don't feel like spending $160 on it.

Which of the two magazines do you prefer? I wasnt sure if Dengeki G's magazines came with any goodies or if it was just their festival issue. Then I wasnt sure if I ordered Dengeki G;s from J-list, if it would even come with the Festival issues or not.

I don't know much about Megami Magazine. Jlist said each issue comes with 12 posters ( I really want that Clannad one) Maybe they meant 6 double sided ones. Either way.

What caught my eye about the Megami Magazine is that they said Pillow cases and bed sheets! <3 Can anyone who orders these magazines give me some more info~?

THANK YOU ^^

relentlessflame
2007-10-17, 23:30
I think there's already some sort of magazine thread out there, but I can certainly give you some info about these magazines. I've personally been collecting both Dengeki G's and Megami for a little over 1 1/2 years now.

One thing that I should probably clear up right off the bat: Dengeki G's Festival is indeed a seperate publication, and isn't part of a normal Dengeki G's subscription. They're released somewhat sporadically based on whatever properties they're trying to promote. I typically watch for announcements of them in the proper Dengeki G's Magazine, and then watch for the listing on Amazon.co.jp.

Which, incidentally, brings me to the second thing -- if you're only going to buying one magazine, a subscription is good and easy. But if by chance you're planning on getting more than one (or certainly, more than two), the shipping will hurt. Personally, rather than subscribing, I order them monthly (again from Amazon), but this means that you have to keep right on top of it and pre-order. Not necessarily for the feint of heart, but something to think about.

Anyway, in terms of what you can expect in each of the magazines...

Dengeki G's: A magazine focused on bishoujo games and their related products. So, you can expect to get a lot of coverage of the major/big-name bishoujo games, especially those getting anime adaptations and PS2 re-releases (i.e. the popular ones :heh: ). You'll also find a lot of bishoujo game-based manga and other unique works from famous artists/studios. For example, among others, they're currently running manga for Nanatsuiro Drops and Da Capo II, 4-koma series for HoneyComing and Little Busters, and a G's-exclusive manga/short-story reader-participation series by Navel (creators of Shuffle) called "Marriage Royale". In terms of extras, pretty much every issue comes with some sort of trinket -- over the last year, they've had cellphone straps, button sets, little figures, and so on. They'll also sometimes include special feature mini-artbooks on specific properties (for example, I think they had one for Da Capo II Spring Celebration, if I remember correctly). Also a good place to look on what else is coming out soon in terms of CDs, manga, figures, and other bishoujo-related merchandise, which can easily tempt you into buying stuff. :heh: Anyway, that's Dengeki G's in a nutshell.

Megami: A magazine focused on bishoujo characters, particularly in anime. Megami is most famous for its posters -- each issue has at least 7 or 8+ double-sided pull-out posters (and one even larger one) featuring cute and sexy shots of basically whoever the latest cute anime girls are. Inside the magazine itself, you'll find information and profiles of all basically every current, upcoming, or recently-run anime that has cute or popular female characters in it. In recent months, there's been a lot of coverage of Nanoha Strikers in particular, as Gakken (Megami Magazine's publisher) is one of the producers of the show. The Strikers manga is included as a special insert in the magazine (along with the Galaxy Angel II manga). There's some coverage of the gaming side, but the primary focus is on anime.

So, which should you buy? Well, Megami is a pretty easy sell if the anime posters are appealing to you -- you probably have noticed them getting posted around the forum every month, as they're quite well-known and popular. But if you're into the gaming side of the bishoujo world at all, Dengeki G's is definitely worth considering. It has a pretty good mix of industry coverage, merchandise info, manga, and special features, along with a novelty extra each month. For the price, I'd think both are worth getting, but the real killer is the shipping. If you can only pick one, I guess it really depends on what's more important to you.

But, again, if you're in this more for the more valuable extras (like bedsheets, pillow cases, and so on), definitely keep your eyes open for the Dengeki G's Festival series, and Comptiq's new equivalent, Comp Selections. They only come out sporadically, but are usually worth considering whenever they do.

Hope this helps, and feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!

Yukito590
2007-10-18, 00:43
THANK YOU! best magazine clarification I've gotten.

Ok, the posters in Megami are definitely worth it. Wow I'd have so many I wouldnt know what to do with them. Are they easy to rip-out or do they completely ruin the magazine? I'd also want to frame or laminate each poster which could get costly.

I've been wondering for months how to get festival. And Dengeki G's Magazine doesn't come with any goodies right? I'm extremely attracted to the bed items even though I'm not sure if I'd even put them on my bed since I'd be afraid of ruining them haha. I've been trying to get my hands on one since I first saw the Airs Misuzu one 3 years back. At this point I don't really even care what character is on it. xD But of course anything from key would be an epic win. or an epic loss to my wallet, haha.

So wait, you dont pay the $200 a year to get Megumi? you buy them seperetly once a month? but isnt the magazine like $12, and the shipping like another $10+? So wouldnt 12 issues end up being more then $200? Or did I follow you wrong? I'm pretty sure J-list said that if you subscribe from them (1 year) it's one price of $200 and that includes the shipping. If you bought each magazine and payed Shipping on each indevidual one, I'd think it would cost like $400. x.x

I've never bought anything from Amazon.co.jp but today another member told me how to order from them. hmm, please tell me the cheapest way you know of getting a years subscription of lets say megami magazine?

I saw the little busters! issue of Dengeki G's Festival on ebay for $140!!!! Like, wtf? It's not even old. how much do Festival mag's cost? And can you subscribe to them or do you have to find each issue being sold and get lucky?

I'm most interested in the Festival magazine and am curious about how much each issue costs since I see them on ebay at sky rocket prices.

Well I just looked at this: http://www.amazon.co.jp/Gs-Festival-%E3%82%B8%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BA%E3%83%95%E3%82%A7%E3%8 2%B9%E3%83%86%E3%82%A3%E3%83%90%E3%83%AB-2007%E5%B9%B4-10%E6%9C%88%E5%8F%B7/dp/B000V6IIAM/ref=pd_sim_b_3/503-9893413-4894361?ie=UTF8&qid=1192685886&sr=8-1

I'm guessing thats the latest issue, and wow, under $100.(...ebay) Do they even sell any older ones? I wish Amazon gave info about what items came with it haha. i'll prolly have to find some blog talking about it. I REALLY wish I bought magazine around Air's time. I missed out on so many Air posters. *sigh*

So I'm thinking of ordering Megamis annual subscription from J-List (unless someone knows cheaper) and also ordering Festival since that magazine is godly. Just need more info on how to obtain it.

Originally I was going to just Message you this post but figured I'd post it here in case other people join in. I'm glad to get help on this since anyone I knew couldn't give me any real info about it. :)

EDIT: WOW! I answerd my own question about if Amazon.co.jp sells older issues of festival. I found http://www.amazon.co.jp/Gs-Festival-%E3%82%B8%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BA%E3%83%95%E3%82%A7%E3%8 2%B9%E3%83%86%E3%82%A3%E3%83%90%E3%83%AB-2007%E5%B9%B4-08%E6%9C%88%E5%8F%B7/dp/B000RW6QK4/ref=sr_1_2/503-9893413-4894361?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192686315&sr=1-2
I REALLY wish Amazon game more info about their products. Does this come with a double sided body pillow case?! if so, I'ma need a guide on how to purchase this! I wouldn't want to mess up and buy a Used one that doesn't come with the bonus items xD

EDIT 2: Ok! I then translated the page with the magazine on it so that I could read the comments. Someone said it does come with a pillow case. I need to get some money FAST! Do festival magazines get completely sold out fast? I think I can only buy a used one now. I don't own a credit card so I'm going to have to buy one of those prepaid credit cards. The cheapest little busters! magazine I want is starting at 3800 yen, I'm not sure if it come with everything though or not. I hope the shipping cost isnt too brutal... x.x Ima need help on this one because I have 10 options here and when I translate it into English, it's broken english and I don't want to buy one thats either destroyed or missing stuff.

relentlessflame
2007-10-18, 01:35
So many questions! And now for some answers...Ok, the posters in Megami are definitely worth it. Wow I'd have so many I wouldnt know what to do with them. Are they easy to rip-out or do they completely ruin the magazine? I'd also want to frame or laminate each poster which could get costly. I'd say the posters could come out pretty easily. The large one is just an insert, and the others would just need maybe an X-acto knife or something. Megami is bound by a few staples anyway, so it wouldn't be that hard to just debind the whole book.

I've been wondering for months how to get festival. And Dengeki G's Magazine doesn't come with any goodies right? I'm extremely attracted to the bed items even though I'm not sure if I'd even put them on my bed since I'd be afraid of ruining them haha. I've been trying to get my hands on one since I first saw the Airs Misuzu one 3 years back. At this point I don't really even care what character is on it. xD But of course anything from key would be an epic win. or an epic loss to my wallet, haha.Well, Dengeki G's comes with some minor trinkets (cell phone straps, one-coin figures, button sets, etc.), but only the Festival series comes with the big extras. The easiest way I know is just to pre-order the Festival series from Amazon as soon as you hear about their existance and they appear in the Amazon catalogue. Of course all would be different if you could just walk into a store and find them on the shelf, but we lack that luxury... :heh:

So wait, you dont pay the $200 a year to get Megumi? you buy them seperetly once a month? but isnt the magazine like $12, and the shipping like another $10+? So wouldnt 12 issues end up being more then $200? Or did I follow you wrong? I'm pretty sure J-list said that if you subscribe from them (1 year) it's one price of $200 and that includes the shipping. If you bought each magazine and payed Shipping on each indevidual one, I'd think it would cost like $400. x.x

I've never bought anything from Amazon.co.jp but today another member told me how to order from them. hmm, please tell me the cheapest way you know of getting a years subscription of lets say megami magazine?
Well, think of it this way:

Shipping Fee = <High flat fee per shipment> + <small per item fee OR weight fee>

So, if you're just buying one item (let's say a subscription to just Megami and nothing else), it really doesn't matter since you're going to pay the same flat fee anyway. And if that's what you're planning to do (just one magazine and nothing else every month), I'd just compare the prices at J-List and CD Japan (http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/magazine/detail_mag.html?KEY=8643) and go with whichever seems good. (There may be others too, but those are the two I'm aware of.)

Where things get complicated is if you wanted to get more than one subscription. Let's say you're crazy and want to subscribe to 5 or 10 magazines! In that case, it'd be cheaper to find a way to group all your magazines into one shipment so you only have to pay that "high flat fee per shipment" once. Anyway, that's overkill for you right now, it sounds like.

I saw the little busters! issue of Dengeki G's Festival on ebay for $140!!!! Like, wtf? It's not even old. how much do Festival mag's cost? And can you subscribe to them or do you have to find each issue being sold and get lucky?Heh - well, even though it's not old, it's a pretty popular property and I'm sure it sold pretty well. Ebay will almost always be a bit of a rip-off compared to the Japanese Amazon marketplace/Yahoo Auctions, simply because the supply is lower.

G's Festival issues cost 2,480 Yen (about $21), and they're all special editions -- you can't subscribe. Basically, I just keep my eyes glued to G's magazine (where they'll announce it a month ahead of time) and search Amazon Japan about twice a month to see if something new is scheduled. It's not by any means the most efficient thing in the world, but I've come to realize that us foreign fans need to be quick if we want to get our hands on the good stuff at a reasonable price. Once it's not available for general sale, things become much more difficult and costly...

EDIT: WOW! I answerd my own question about if Amazon.co.jp sells older issues of festival. I found http://www.amazon.co.jp/Gs-Festival-%E3%82%B8%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BA%E3%83%95%E3%82%A7%E3%8 2%B9%E3%83%86%E3%82%A3%E3%83%90%E3%83%AB-2007%E5%B9%B4-08%E6%9C%88%E5%8F%B7/dp/B000RW6QK4/ref=sr_1_2/503-9893413-4894361?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192686315&sr=1-2
I REALLY wish Amazon game more info about their products. Does this come with a double sided body pillow case?! if so, I'ma need a guide on how to purchase this! I wouldn't want to mess up and buy a Used one xD Reason I ask for a guide is because when I tried buying something, the checkout page was in all Japanese even when I chose it to be in English...If it doesn't come with a body pillow case, could someone please tell me a list of what items come with it since I'm guessing it comes with Little Busters! Stuff? =3Well, what you're seeing there is the Amazon Marketplace, and some of the items listed there are used. If you want to order something from the marketplace, you typically need to go through something called a "Proxy Service", because most of the marketplace sellers don't ship internationally. Basically, that means a person in Japan has to buy it for you, and then they ship it to you. This, of course, costs extra, but can be worth it to get those harder-to-find items. (I could write a whole lot more about this, but I'm getting sorta sleepy. :heh: )

In terms of the items that are included with the Little Busters Festival issue, I'll try to see if I can take a picture for you over the next few days. Much easier than me trying to explain it. :p

Yukito590
2007-10-18, 01:56
Say I went to buy something and it said 10 new/used. So I view the list of 10 sellers. If I bought from the one that said "Amazon.com" then I wouldn't need to do this proxy-service right? They'd ship to the US?

because the newest issue of Festival does have an issue being sold from Amazon rather then someone re-selling it used. Even though it wouldn't be Little Busters! it would atleast come with a pillow case.

Awww, I got depressed after reading that getting the Little Busters! issue would be much more difficult than I had thought 10 minutes ago. =( I doubt I could have somone in Japan buy it for me since I'm not even able to figure out which ones out of the 10 being marketed even come with the items.

I have a glimpse of hope left since I think I still might be able to get the new, October 2007 issue of Festival. Can you please confirm this? Am I still able to buy it and get the Pillow case or am I too late?

Hmm, I'm going to have to learn more and do what you do, read about upcoming issues and stalk them. So basically, once I know of an upcoming issue, I want to rush on Amazon.co.jp and pre-order asap?

Yea, I'm getting tired too. It's almost 3am now and I have school at 6:30..T^T I blame the lack of sexy pillow case on my bed causing me inability to sleep~ Haha. Nah, I'm sure once I understand more about how this works, and how to pre-order it, i'll be able to get one of the next issues. One just came out this month though so I'll probably have to wait a few more months if I can't get my hands on this months issue.

You wouldn't happen to know a place that just sells the Little Busters pillow case would you? =D

I found the Misuzu one I wanted but it was on yahoo Japan auctions (too advanced for my current knowledge of buying anime products) and it was like $130 T^T Thats not even counting the other fee's and the price of having to pay someone in japan to buy it for you...I'd hope the Little Busters! one isn't THAT expensive and that hard to buy since that Air one is oooold.

Thanks for the help though I am now depressed ^-~ I envy you people who know so much about this stuff. I didn't know anything at all about anime figurines until like 2-3 months ago. I swapped about loooong 30 emails with this one friend online until he was able to tell me everything he knew. Now that i know enough about figurines, I'm highly interested in Magazines.

dodgethis_sg
2007-10-18, 04:11
Megami: The Maxim of anime.

aolas
2007-10-18, 04:24
a long time ago (not so long too) i like bought and read animonster & advance magz. but now i dont buy it again 'cause of money

relentlessflame
2007-10-19, 03:42
In terms of the items that are included with the Little Busters Festival issue, I'll try to see if I can take a picture for you over the next few days. Much easier than me trying to explain it. :p
So, as promised, here you go... the photos aren't spectacular, but they should at least give you an idea of what's included.

http://www.relentlessness.com/games/littlebusters/g's_festival_vol9_package_thumb.jpg (http://www.relentlessness.com/games/littlebusters/g's_festival_vol9_package.jpg)http://www.relentlessness.com/games/littlebusters/g's_festival_vol9_book1_thumb.jpg (http://www.relentlessness.com/games/littlebusters/g's_festival_vol9_book1.jpg)

http://www.relentlessness.com/games/littlebusters/g's_festival_vol9_book2_thumb.jpg (http://www.relentlessness.com/games/littlebusters/g's_festival_vol9_book2.jpg)

http://www.relentlessness.com/games/littlebusters/g's_festival_vol9_book3_thumb.jpg (http://www.relentlessness.com/games/littlebusters/g's_festival_vol9_book3.jpg)http://www.relentlessness.com/games/littlebusters/g's_festival_vol9_extras_thumb.jpg (http://www.relentlessness.com/games/littlebusters/g's_festival_vol9_extras.jpg)http://www.relentlessness.com/games/littlebusters/g's_festival_vol9_pillowcover-sideA_thumb.jpg (http://www.relentlessness.com/games/littlebusters/g's_festival_vol9_pillowcover-sideA.jpg) http://www.relentlessness.com/games/littlebusters/g's_festival_vol9_pillowcover-sideB_thumb.jpg (http://www.relentlessness.com/games/littlebusters/g's_festival_vol9_pillowcover-sideB.jpg)(It's surprisingly difficult to take pictures of a body pillow cover when you don't actually have a body pillow. :heh: Didn't turn out too great due to lighting and the fold lines and stuff, but you get the idea...)

I'll try to answer the rest of the questions tomorrow!

Yukito590
2007-10-20, 01:19
I seriously want that pillow case!!! I'm extremely jealous. Thanks for showing me the first non-stock photos of it!

I've decided to subscribe to Megami from J-list once I get my job. Since it'll be my only subscription, and since I rarely buy stuff, it's probably my best and cheapest bet.

Along with that subscription, I will try to purchase every future copy of festival. I'll prolly need your help though since at my current stage of knowledge, I'd probably miss every pre-order or not know what to do.

Right now I really want to track down a copy of that Little Busters! issue for myself, or atleast the pillowcase. The images in the magazine look amazing. I would indeed have some nice graphics to scan in and use for designs.

What do you think the probability of me getting my hands on that issue are?

i completely envy anyone with that old Misuzu pillowcase~

relentlessflame
2007-10-20, 02:29
Right now I really want to track down a copy of that Little Busters! issue for myself, or atleast the pillowcase. The images in the magazine look amazing. I would indeed have some nice graphics to scan in and use for designs.

What do you think the probability of me getting my hands on that issue are?Well, it all depends on how much you're willing to spend, I suppose. I can tell you one sure way that you could get a new copy right now, but it'll cost you maybe $80.

The top item on the Amazon marketplace's collection section for that item (link (http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/offer-listing/B000RW6QK4/sr=8-2/qid=1192862071/ref=olp_tab_collectible/250-9449011-2995415?ie=UTF8&coliid=&me=&qid=1192862071&sr=8-2&seller=&colid=&condition=collectible)) is a brand new, factory sealed copy available for 3,800 yen. But you can't order from the marketplace directly; you have to go through a deputy service. (A deputy service is, basically, a person/company in Japan who can order things on your behalf, have them shipped to their home/office, and then turns around and ships them to you in exchange for a commission fee.) There are a few deputy services out there; for example, the one I usually use is Masato's Service (http://www.m-world-service.com/). So, what you'd have to do is ask the deputy service to order that item above (factory sealed/new) at the Amazon Marketplace on your behalf. They'll ask you to forward them some money, and then they'll place the order for you. The total cost will be item cost + commission + domestic shipping + international shipping + taxes (maybe).

That is certainly not going to be cheapest option, nor necessarily the best one. But it should at least work. Other options would be trying to find it on Yahoo! Auctions (again, you'd use a Deputy Service to bid on your behalf), or (possibly) trying to find another Japanese source that has the book and will ship internationally. If you decide to go the Deputy Service route, though, and need more instructions/information, let me know. Like I said, it really depends on how much you want something and how much you're willing (or able) to spend to get it.

Along with that subscription, I will try to purchase every future copy of festival. I'll prolly need your help though since at my current stage of knowledge, I'd probably miss every pre-order or not know what to do.Hmm... well, I don't necessarily mind posting a notice somewhere whenever I spot a new one being announced, though I don't really know where the right place to post it would be. In any case, though, I'll try to let you know.

LynnieS
2007-10-20, 03:13
Well, it all depends on how much you're willing to spend, I suppose. I can tell you one sure way that you could get a new copy right now, but it'll cost you maybe $80.

The top item on the Amazon marketplace's collection section for that item (link (http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/offer-listing/B000RW6QK4/sr=8-2/qid=1192862071/ref=olp_tab_collectible/250-9449011-2995415?ie=UTF8&coliid=&me=&qid=1192862071&sr=8-2&seller=&colid=&condition=collectible)) is a brand new, factory sealed copy available for 3,800 yen. Just FYI that the prices have gone up for that issue since relentlessflame's post. The cheapest price is now 4500 yen (with the highest being an amazing 10K yen! :twitch: ).

Just out of curiosity, from people's experience, how fast do deputy services work in terms of getting a bid or an order into the marketplace or auction? I'm guessing that it will take a couple of hours - even with a credit card payment - assuming the service takes it. A fair number of sellers on Yahoo Auctions, I have noticed, don't accept credit cards, and bank transfers are almost always on the list of payment types.

Yukito590
2007-10-20, 16:06
Since I'm broke right now, I guess I should give up on the Little Busters! issue as it will just cost more and more by the time I have it. The deputy service sounds kind of complicated because it's hard to decide how much your really willing to bid and I wouldn't want the people winning the item at all costs and giving me a bill that I seriously can't afford.

I guess my best bet would be waiting until the new issue of Festival is out. Either by finding it myself or if you'd share you discovery somewhere on the forums. =3 But as soon as it's out for Pre-orders, I should go amazon.co.jp and click their pre-order button right? Since I don't have a credit card, Ill probably buy one of those prepaid cards. Then a copy will be reserved for me at a fair price and the magazine will be shipped directly to my house at it's retail price + shipping.

I hope the next issue come with something neat. :)

Thanks guys~

LynnieS
2007-10-20, 21:41
I don't really like Amazon's marketplace when it comes to older goods. More times than not, I've found that I can pay less by bidding on the item on Yahoo Japan's auction site instead - as long as it has it, of course. :) You just have to know how much you are willing to pay, and not go over it. Just don't forget any bank transfer or credit card fees plus shipping costs. Depending on how much you are willing to pay and how popular an auction is, the cost isn't that bad.

That particular "Denkegi G's Festival" issue is up on the site (http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k50438761), and right now, it's going for 2800 yen. There isn't much about it except the seller is selling a new issue of volume 9, and it should be for both magazine and pillowcase.

relentlessflame
2007-11-11, 02:06
By the way, since I said that I'd mention once I heard a new Festival issue was coming, there are actually two new Festival series with first volumes coming at the end of this month (I guess the G's Festival line has been a successful for MediaWorks). Anyway, you can see them on the G's Blog: Dengeki G's Festival Comic Vol. 1 (http://blog.mediaworks.co.jp/gsmagazine/2007/10/gsfestival_comic_vol1.html) and the ef-focused Dengeki G's Festival Deluxe Vol. 1 (http://blog.mediaworks.co.jp/gsmagazine/2007/10/gsfestival_deluxevol1.html) (whose headlining extra is... rather unconventional for a mainstream inclusion... :heh: ). They're to be released on the 26th and 30th of November respectively, and haven't appeared on Amazon quite yet. So, just so you know! I still wonder if it'd be better to create a thread for these sorts of special magazine issues, but this'll do for now.

Potatochobit
2008-08-23, 17:53
Does anyone know where to subscribe for the US localization? I dont mind going to the bookstore but I'd rather it be mailed home.

Aoie_Emesai
2008-08-23, 21:51
Hey PC.

I do know these 2 site does it.

Jlist & Benippon

http://www.jlist.com/SEARCH/megami/1/

http://benippon.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1377

From the benippon, you choose and click the amount you want(you'll see the 1, 2, 3, 6, 9, 12 and 18 I do think). Though cause of the shipping on every volume the shipping gets really expensive. This is for jlist too.

yoh_fangirl
2008-12-17, 07:11
wow, i see so many votes for Newtype, its a shame that i didnt get a chance to buy it now that it's come to an end... Dont they sell a magazine called Otaku america aswell? i'm wondering what people think of that magzine

Alchemist007
2009-01-25, 01:44
Are there any internet (preferably free) magazine style websites for Anime news? I mean aside from forums, anidb, animenewsnetwork, I don't really have anything (assuming what I said wasn't enough already :heh:).

Alchemist007
2009-01-27, 04:28
seriously? NOBODY here visits any?

-Kh-
2009-01-27, 09:31
- http://www.sankakucomplex.com/ NSFW

- http://akibanana.com/

- http://www.dannychoo.com/

Alchemist007
2009-01-27, 11:32
Thanks, those all look nice!

kguthrie
2009-03-02, 00:35
I was just checking out anime stuff on Amazon and I came across a magazine called Anime Insider. Does anyone know if it is any good? There is a special where it is $28 for a year (Normal price is $78.88). Just curious if it is worth buying? http://g09k0221lebj272.imageshacknow.info/img/3070/l09y0301uago/naruto_happy.gif

sa547
2009-03-02, 11:04
I was just checking out anime stuff on Amazon and I came across a magazine called Anime Insider. Does anyone know if it is any good? There is a special where it is $28 for a year (Normal price is $78.88). Just curious if it is worth buying? http://g09k0221lebj272.imageshacknow.info/img/3070/l09y0301uago/naruto_happy.gif

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/anime.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime_Insider

Thinner than the defunct Newtype USA/PiQ, but yes it's worth buying. Great artwork and layout. Good insider stories and commentaries. News on even j-pop and games, and old school anime. They look into what's coming, what's hot, and even what's being currently aired in Japan (and therefore being subbed).

Right now the March 2009 issue has D-Grayman on the cover. Yes, they even spelled Ogasawara correctly. :D

OBTW, getting AI was real damn hard: two days and I covered six malls across the city just to buy it because of what's inside:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/soulassassin547/meatspace/th_DSC01358.jpg (http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/soulassassin547/meatspace/DSC01358.jpg)http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/soulassassin547/meatspace/th_DSC01357.jpg (http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/soulassassin547/meatspace/DSC01357.jpg)

I presume this is the last copy of this issue -- literally a collector's item -- existing in the Philippines, as it's found only in a comic bookstore called Comic Quest.

npcomplete
2009-03-02, 13:46
Are there any internet (preferably free) magazine style websites for Anime news? I mean aside from forums, anidb, animenewsnetwork, I don't really have anything (assuming what I said wasn't enough already :heh:).

- http://www.sankakucomplex.com/ NSFW

although by default you have to click to display the actual NSFW pics
anyways, it's a great place for current otaku related news and the only English site I know so far where you can quickly find out about things like.. the differences in censorship between multiple stations, if any e.g. the placement of the "bat" in the TV version of R+V2 :p

Amray
2009-03-03, 12:36
I only posess two volumes of the same anime magazine. I never did buy a lot of magazines although inside of these two in particular, and various others, I appreciate what is written inside of them. They can give me ideas on what manga's I can get when I am in a pinch and do not know which one to read next. Nonetheless I can usually find a random manga in stores that I take a liking towards.

Magazines can be quite helpful to me, in conclusion, although I often prefer to find and review things such as anime and manga for myself. I will never fully appreciate some reviews written by other people as it is obviously always going to be a case of "She likes this, but I do not" or vice versa. It all depends on ones own speculation and preferences with regards to things such as this, which is why I will never take anothers review into account when wanting to view or read a specific series.

Soryu
2009-03-03, 19:08
two magazines that i know of are Newtype and Anime Insider.

sa547
2009-03-26, 13:51
Sorry for being a bearer of bad news but because AI's shutting down this year, according to its former editor:

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/03/anime_insider_2001_-_2009.php

This mag really impressed me more than anything else I've seen. Now I wonder if I'll gonna have to wrap my February and March 2009 issues in clear plastic.

solomon
2009-03-26, 15:29
crap, are there ANY anime mags left in the states?!

sa547
2009-03-26, 15:38
Recession can really be a bitch, especially when it finally takes down some very good magazines.

crap, are there ANY anime mags left in the states?!

Otaku USA and the e-Mag Protoculture are probably the ones left around, but sometimes I always have a double-take everytime I see a cover like from one issue:
http://patrickmacias.blogs.com/er/2009/03/otaku-usa-april-2009.html

KimmyChan
2009-03-27, 05:51
There's three anime-esque related magazines that I read without fail each month:

* Neo

* Shojo Beat

* Shonen Jump