PDA

View Full Version : Question about PeaceMaker Kurogane

Coolisme
2003-11-26, 23:25
Is PeaceMaker Kurogane any good?

I would go to animenfo.com if I could but there is something wrong with my browser that doesn't allow the page to load up for me. :(

What's it about?
What's the genre?
Is it worth my time?

And who's the best fansubber team for this series?

Appreciate anyone who can provide the answers

brightman
2003-11-26, 23:35
It's a samurai anime... With the Shinsengumi no less.

But so far it's been pretty bland and boring, with a tiny bit of action which happen to be the best part of the show... The characters are pretty uninspiring too.

But since the manga supposedly gets dark I am looking forward to when this show does get better. But so far there doesn't seem to be any signs of improvement (Ep 8 was the perfect example, since we're back to square one there).

And as for fansubbers, I watch Lunar's since theirs is the fastest, but I haven't seen any of the others so I can't say whether they're better or not (Lunar's have the biggest encodes though)

Coolisme
2003-11-26, 23:43
oh...

doesn't really sound exciting.

Thanks for your input.

Relentless
2003-11-27, 00:42
The problem is that one can't tell if it wants to be serious drama or slapstick comedy. The setting, Kyoto during the Meiji restoration, lends itself to the former (just check Rurouni Kenshin OVA); but the characters: an obnoxious jerk of a brat and a brassy transvestite with a pet pig are more apropriate for the latter. Both sides are badly done, IMHO. The jokes are not funny and attempts at drama are, well, funny. It has not that much action, either. Most characters are unlikable. Also, I don't know why the animation is praised so much. It's so-so, early-to-middle 90's at best, lacking detail in background and faces, and with a flat, brownish color palette (was there that much mud in the Bakumatsu :confused:)

Nevertheless, I think it's quite popular, maybe even beloved. Perhaps the manga was better? Dunno. It's not as bad as Samurai Deeper Kyo, and I think there should be quite a few people who, like me, watch it just because they're in love with the time and want to see familiar faces from the Kenshin days, even if most are unrecognizable.

NenMaster
2003-11-27, 17:32
just shows people cant be arsed finding sites with reviews :)

LiQuid|J
2003-11-27, 18:15
I'm watching this show, but with each passing episode asking myself, "When the hell is this show going to get entertaining?" It's just not doing anything at all right now. The episodes are paced terribly. Most of the time they will bore you to death with trivial happenings during the first 20 minutes and then in the last 5, have a really super, well animated, action scene just out of nowhere. It's really confusing. It's like they KNOW their show has no substance, so they throw a big fight at the end to make you want to watch the next episode... I personally don't like a single character in the show. There's the spunky brat "I need to be stronger," little kid, the androgynous "guy" with a pet pig, that so obviously sounds like a human trying to sound cute, the gruff tough guy, and his perky sidekick, the enigmatic guy, the hardass, white-haired kid. All these characters, but overall, it just amounts to a whole lot of nothing.

The worst part is that I still download every episode, every week and hope it's going to entertain me and so far after 8 episodes, it has yet to.

Shift_
2003-11-27, 19:27
I acctually like the show...it's a laid back kind of series, it leaves you feeling good after each ep...kinda like GTO.

Xiandu
2003-11-28, 00:09
I acctually like the show...it's a laid back kind of series, it leaves you feeling good after each ep...kinda like GTO

I totally disagree. I very much love GTO and it makes me laugh like no other show. Like the posts stated above this show is boring and uses the last 5 minutes to try to keep you entertained. It's a cheap ploy(but is working). GTO however always has lots going on and even has redeeming qualities in alot of the episodes. Most of all GTO makes you like the characters not dispise or be totally annoyed by(Tetsuya). So please don't compare this Kenshin wantabe to the classic that is GTO.

monir
2003-11-28, 00:27
just shows people cant be arsed finding sites with reviews :)haha..But that was such a good review by Relentless..

LiQuid|J
2003-11-28, 00:30
Yeah, it would take some major friggun convincing to get me to nod at this being anything at all like GTO... That simply doesn't compute on ANY level.

Sakaki-
2003-11-28, 05:16
Yeah, it would take some major friggun convincing to get me to nod at this being anything at all like GTO... That simply doesn't compute on ANY level.

I think what hes trying to say is that its just as laid back as GTO, and he likes it just as much.

LiQuid|J
2003-11-28, 09:08
It was pretty clear what he was trying to say. I still think it's poppycock to even mention the 2 anime in the same sentence. :)

NenMaster
2003-11-28, 12:22
I acctually like the show...it's a laid back kind of series, it leaves you feeling good after each ep...kinda like GTO.
its laid back and leaves you feeling good LIKE gto

damn u guys dont read or understand what he is saying

FinFangFoom
2003-11-28, 17:35
I have to say I do like the show. Although I find the main character to be a complete idiot, he's like Naruto, except Naruto knows when it's time to shut up (sometimes ;) ) but at least Naruto makes a little more sense because you know why he's like that and why the Hokage overlooks and understands Naruto's trouble making and he makes you laugh with his outburst, where the the kid in Peace Maker just makes you cringe and wonder why someone has'nt killed him yet for being so disrespectful. The stupid pig pisses me off too with it's annoying voice. Also opening and ending song suck.

Other than that it's not bad, I think of it as a mix between Naruto and Ninja Scroll but with Samuri instead.

Actually I watched up to episode 12 of GTO last night and I would'nt compare the feeling you get from watching it to Peace Maker at all. Although I could compare the bulling bitch character to the main character in Peace Maker (why has'nt someone bitch slapped her yet? :mad: ) in the sense they both get away with way to much, at least he has his moments where he's likeable. But I come away feeling pretty good and wanting more with GTO where Peace Maker just leaves me just satisfied enough to keep watching after each episode.

But here is the info off Animenfo :

Genres: Action, Historical Settings
User Rating: 8.8/10.0 (82 reviews)

Description
It is the closing time of the chaotic Edo Era (Japan, 1603-1868). In this time, some young people make a breakthrough in this era.

It is the first year of Genji (1864)*, March. A spring where cherry blossoms scatter and dance in the air of Kyoto. A single young man knocks at the door of the headquarters of the Mibu Shinsengumi (the newly established Mibu team). His name was Ichimura Tetsunosuke, aged 15. His personality, as his name suggests, is Teppoudama*

Unlike his height, Tetsunosuke possesses great will power and hopes to join the Shinsengumi to avenge his parents. He is allowed to join the team on the condition that he can win against the talented swordsman Okita Souji*. And so, Tetsunosuke challenges Okita.

"I want to become stronger."

Tetsunosuke, getting back up and fighting back no matter how many times he gets knocked down, earns him the admiration of Kondou Isamu* who allows him to join. However, the "oni"* vice captain, Hijikata Toshizou* refused to let him join saying, "The Shingumi will not have someone joining for vengeance."

One night, Tetsunosuke passes by the place where Okita was hiding and witnesses a ferocious battle. Hijikata leaves Tetsunosuke saying "Joining the Shingumi is just a way of becoming a demon."

Tetsunosuke stood still as he took in the painful reality that he must hold a sword and hurt people to become stronger.

However, in the falling rain, he asks Hijikata with Great Spirit, "I will not be afraid of demons. Make me into a demon." And so, it was how Tetsunosuke got consent from Hijikata to join the Shingumi.

Tetsunosuke faces many dark and cold battles as he worries about and watches over his brother Tatsunosuke who suffers from gastralgia. Together with Souji and the others of the Shingumi, they make a breakthrough in the closing of the Edo Era as an apprentice of Hijikata Toshizou...

FinFangFoom
2003-11-28, 17:50
Weird, I had an error when making last post and while the post shows up, on the main fansubs forum page this thread still is about 7 places down and says nenmaster made the last comment. (yes I refreshed several times and even left animesuki and re-entered and it is still like that) so sorry for the double post! :o

I did want to mention i've watched Lunar, AnimeForever and Animeone and like them all, but Animeone is my favorite but are the slowest.

Y fa fret
2003-11-28, 21:02
I have a quick question, is it possible that Saya and Hana are little whores in training?

TetsuoG
2003-12-13, 12:02
Since the show is still running, i think it's rather hard to compare it to other anime, just yet. Who knows, there could be some kind of action further along... A lot of anime start out slow and then pick up. Personally, I like the show, and have been wanting to download the opening and ending songs. Please tell me if anyone has them, thanks.

kamij0
2003-12-13, 19:56
I have a quick question, is it possible that Saya and Hana are little whores in training?

lol.. thats interesting. 1 mute and 1 noisy 1

NoSanninWa
2003-12-14, 02:01
I thought of that, but I discarded the thought. I think that they are being trained as Geishas. It is a bit disreputable, but not nearly as bad. The evidence is how well they are being cared for, educated (they know how to read and write) and that they are trained to play instruments. Also, Saya stopped Hana from telling Tetsu the truth about them so we know it is (at the very least) embarassing.

bOcyOgl
2003-12-14, 05:48
I thought of that, but I discarded the thought. I think that they are being trained as Geishas. It is a bit disreputable, but not nearly as bad. The evidence is how well they are being cared for, educated (they know how to read and write) and that they are trained to play instruments. Also, Saya stopped Hana from telling Tetsu the truth about them so we know it is (at the very least) embarassing.

maybe the 2 girls are from the opposition group? choushu something?

Saya is not a whore !! Saya is not a whore !! Saya is not a whore !!

NoSanninWa
2003-12-14, 18:17
It is not unlikely that pretty orphaned girls would be chosen to train as Geishas.

Ainana
2003-12-14, 19:52
Personally I'd say it's well worth watching; but obviously there is some disagreement to that.

I suggest you at least try watching some of it yourself.
The series has the potential to be awesome beyond belief-
it is a historical fiction that follows a lot of historical events and uses many real characters from history.
I love watching Kenshin, after watching what's come out for PMK, I was just blown away.
Besides, Tetsu (the main char) is a lot more loveable and less annoying than the RK equivalent, Yahiko.
(Then again, if you look at my avatar ....Damn that Yahiko! Always saying I'm not a real woman and ratting on my cooking and saying I'm a ugly raccoon and stuff!) (Wait, was the Raccoon Misao or Kaoru?) ;)p