PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm too addicted to anime.

Lord Raiden
2003-11-26, 23:50
Ugh, just got done closing out a whole bunch of series lately to try to get my wopping 25 series I was following down to a more managable 8-10 if I could. I managed to get it down to 17. I actually dropped 3 and closed out 9 other series (aka they just recently ended) and added back 5 new ones, then I just added Chrno Crusade tonight as yet ANOTHER new one. Gah. And it's not like I'm just downloading series to download them. All 18 I'm following are great series, otherwise I wouldn't be downloading them. (reference the 3 I dropped because they were lame)

Do you guys think you have the same problem with the anime you follow? How often do you rotate, add, or clear/dump anime series in your collection? How many do you have now?

I really don't think I'm addicted as before this following 2-3 was normal, 8-9 was high end. This fall however seems to have become a whole different story. :p

Dryad
2003-11-27, 00:00
Nah i don't have the same problem as you since the series i follow are most likely finished so i watch them then it's over and since i keep every episode i d/l and i'm a lazy ass so i don't burn them then when i lack of space on my hd i know it's time to stop starting series :)

Koshiba
2003-11-27, 00:14
How can you be TOO addicted to anime? :P I'm probably following way too many series right now. Series I'm downloading and series I'm buying. ^^

Tomomi
2003-11-27, 00:16
Well, this is an everyday thing for me... Ehehe... :heh: I have about close to ten series to follow up now... :D Dun worry... After some time, you will get used to it. :)

Fronzel
2003-11-27, 01:18
Watch something else for a while as a change of pace. Or read something. That isn't manga. Read a non-Japanese comic, or a novel.

Koshiba
2003-11-27, 01:31
Watch something else for a while as a change of pace. Or read something. That isn't manga. Read a non-Japanese comic, or a novel.

I used to do a lot of reading but I haven't really found any books that interest me lately. :heh:

LiQuid|J
2003-11-27, 02:02
Heh, I feel your pain man. I tried to be hardcore and "sample" all of the new fall series by watching at least a few episodes of each and I managed to get hooked on damn near all of them! Even some that I didn't think I'd ever really enjoy, like KimiNozo and Tsukihime, now 2 of my favorites of the season. I'm watching nearly 20 shows myself now, plus I have a pretty decent backlog of old downloaded shows that I'm trying to catch up on.

Now this is all good and dandy with me, as I have a lot of free time, and I really really love anime, but I feel my other hobbies are starting to suffer. :heh: I used to be an avid reader. Now I've been trying to get through a single book for over 3 months now, reading about a chapter or 2 a week when I can find time before bed. I used to play a lot of video games, and now I can barely find time to. I have so many PS2 and GBA games that I'd like to be playing right now but it's a hassle dedicate time to them. Hell even my manga reading has gone south. I've had Shonen Jump 13 for TWO whole days now and I haven't even cracked it open yet! :p

I think I might need some help. Are there clinics for anime addiction? :)

Oneesama
2003-11-27, 04:10
doesn't everyone on this forum have this thing for anime? I too have so many series to follow up..... I dl then burn....... dl then burn..... its almost like a routine for me now...... :)

gravitation
2003-11-27, 04:20
doesn't everyone on this forum have this thing for anime? I too have so many series to follow up..... I dl then burn....... dl then burn..... its almost like a routine for me now...... yeah i do ^_^ :D! Although i must admit the amount of series im following at the mo is dwindelling....
How can you be TOO addicted to anime? YEAH! true dat! lol ^_^

Muraki
2003-11-27, 13:52
Gah i wish the number of anime i follow would decrease =( but i sample something and get sucked in....:heh:

But i have -NO- free time :sad: not good...

Fronzel
2003-11-27, 18:44
I have a massive backlog of anime, both burned fansubs and actual DVDs. I should be watchnig Martion Sucessor Nadesico and Jubei-chan, but I never seem to get around to it. And I keep downloading and buying more...

7thMethuselah
2003-11-28, 14:53
What I do is, I dl a few episodes of about everything i can get my hands on and watch them, if i like the series i dl everything else as well and watch it in 3-4 sessions. That way you are never watching more then 3-4 series at a time even though you are downloading 15 at the same time. I think I still have about 15-20 completed series or so to watch, anime is a cruel time-consuming hobby :), not to mention all those manga's i still have to read...

I should quit my job so i can catch up on my anime :heh:

Tboz
2003-11-28, 15:35
I just try to be more fussy when choosing which series to download and don't give chances to series that I have no interest of at first glance.

Yes... not even a trial. :p

u&t
2003-11-28, 15:48
Mr Raiden:

Stop hanging out at forums like this one :)

I'm sure you would be able to pick up a few more shows and still have time over if you just stopped all internet related activities apart from dowloading anime (just don't forget to write your mom once in a while).

Look forward too not seeing you post here ever again :D

monir
2003-11-28, 16:08
haha..problem solved thanks to u&t

Lord Raiden
2003-11-28, 16:58
LOL!! Well, that would be all fine and dandy, but I work as a network tech, so that'll be kinda hard. ;):D

I am at least starting to just download and burn series rather than watch them. Saving them for another day takes away the gnawing insanity waiting a week at a time to see the next episode brings about. If I encounter something were I've absolutely GOT to see the next episode, then no biggy, I just pop it in, and away I go. :)

PocariSweat
2003-11-28, 17:14
Anyone else download new a show and kind of *hope* that it won't be any good? You know, just so you won't have still yet another show to follow. :heh:

Really, as I began to watch more and more anime, I found liked types of shows I'd of dismissed before. Even children's shows are fun since as I slowly pick up a little Japanese, they're the first I can understand (my ultimate goal - which I'll probably never reach - is to have comprehension of an 8yr old :)). Add to that the fear that if I don't get it while it's hot, a series may be hard to find later, so I really do feel compelled to download everything.

ZhouYu
2003-11-29, 23:02
i download everything.... if i like it i keep it if i dont... i delete it... wastes alot of my time... =T

crack is cheaper and less time consuming... lol

Lord Raiden
2003-11-30, 00:36
Yeah, I just added another two series today. Gah, whatever happened to the good old days when there was only 2-3 good anime on at any one point? Ah...who am I kidding? I love this!! :D

PocariSweat
2003-11-30, 01:06
Ah well, I don't worry about an Anime addiction too much. At least not until I get an urge to dress like this...

http://sabrina.jp/g.htm

then I might get a little scared. :heh:

Tomomi
2003-11-30, 01:16
Anyone else download new a show and kind of *hope* that it won't be any good? You know, just so you won't have still yet another show to follow. :heh:

Haha, sure, I felt like that sometimes. You know, at times, I downloaded practically half the series and deleted it without watching. Happened a couple of times to me... :p

Kempis Curious
2003-11-30, 01:40
Ah well, I don't worry about an Anime addiction too much. At least not until I get an urge to dress like this...

Let's all thank PocariSweat for that generous helping of nightmare food. :upset: I've seen a lot of cosplayers, but for some reason I've never seen one with the mask and bodysuit. That was inexplicably AWFUL. :D

As for anime addiction... I've given up a couple of hobbies since I don't have time to watch all the great anime I want. I put my television in the closet... American and British TV are so forgettable, and I've probably watched 10x the number of TV series than I've seen anime. I don't need to see another "Survivor" or "Law and Order" clone.

I've also stopped playing video games. :( I used to be a huge fan, but I started watching a lot of anime after the Dreamcast was superceded, I never bothered to get any of the newer systems.

And you can't beat the price of fansubbed anime. :D CD's are cheap and DSL has dropped to less than $30 a month where I live. Ahhhh... the world's greatest artform commercial-free for less than $1 per day and displayed on a HD monitor? (svga actually:D) What could be better? :love:

-k

Tomomi
2003-11-30, 01:43
Let's all thank PocariSweat for that generous helping of nightmare food. :upset: I've seen a lot of cosplayers, but for some reason I've never seen one with the mask and bodysuit. That was inexplicably AWFUL. :D

Oh, I heard that the cosplayer behind the mask is a guy... :dots:

Xiandu
2003-11-30, 01:44
Yeah i totally understand everyone. When i first got into downloading fansubs i was just like hey cool some new anime to download, i'll just follow a couple of series that my friends talked about. Then i found this damn website and the forum. Now lol i am following 27 different shows and got rid of 6 others recently. I have about 7 sereis too that I am following that is coming out on dvd and i have yet to watch 4 shows that i have finished and are sitting on my computer right now. I was a huge videogame fan and now i barely play at all pc or ps2. Damn i just got FFX-2 last week and have only played about 4 hours of it so far. I have been really looking foward to this game too. However i do read manga time to time before i go to bed or when i got to use the restroom (sorry i know tmi). Man sooo many good shows out though. I am have the same problem too, i am watching shows that i would have dismissed before i started watching them. Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is the perfect example, while i still don't like love dramas, this show is amazing. I was nervous as hell watching ep8 and what was going to happen in the hospital. Will he tell her, will Mitizki tell her, will Akane tell her. Oh my heart aches.....

Moon The Cat
2003-11-30, 01:53
Oh my my, anime...

But, what is anime?

Well, I'm too lazy to actually look for a definition, but, I I can tell you I like it a lot, more than some of the crap that is on TV (specially those reality shows), sometimes I wonder if I am immature for watching "cartoons", or just lucky.

I am glad anime appeared in my life. Otherwise I would be watching....I can't even think of anything, but it gives me chills to just think about it.

Peace.

Lord Raiden
2003-11-30, 13:31

Eek!! :eek:

Oneesama
2003-12-02, 02:47
i download everything.... if i like it i keep it if i dont... i delete it... wastes alot of my time... =T

I do the same~ but It's all worth it ~ :D

horsdhaleine
2006-09-01, 19:42
Ugh, just got done closing out a whole bunch of series lately to try to get my wopping 25 series I was following down to a more managable 8-10 if I could. I managed to get it down to 17. I actually dropped 3 and closed out 9 other series (aka they just recently ended) and added back 5 new ones, then I just added Chrno Crusade tonight as yet ANOTHER new one. Gah. And it's not like I'm just downloading series to download them. All 18 I'm following are great series, otherwise I wouldn't be downloading them. (reference the 3 I dropped because they were lame)

Do you guys think you have the same problem with the anime you follow? How often do you rotate, add, or clear/dump anime series in your collection? How many do you have now?

I really don't think I'm addicted as before this following 2-3 was normal, 8-9 was high end. This fall however seems to have become a whole different story. :p

wow. 25 can be quite exhausting for me. it would lose all the enjoyment anime gives me. i usually watch 2-5 at a time... it depends. right now, i'm watching 5 series on TV (which is quite a lot for me compared previously) and i dl 1 or 2 episode every now and then. i think i dl-ed 7 series this year. then i watch quite a lot on youtube when i'm bored, listless or confused (which i am most of the time). just to kill time. sometimes, to inspire. :)

physics223
2006-09-01, 20:27
The greatest art form IMO is literature ... but anime definitely comes close.

Lord Raiden
2006-09-02, 11:33
lol. I've about kicked my addiction. Not that having one is a bad thing or not having one a good thing. But I've definately refined my watching a lot lately. I think part of it is because the shows are becoming too silly, too ecchi, or too mundane. There are a rare few jems out there right now and I'm watching those. I'm watching probubly 5 shows in total I think. Maybe 6. That's way down from my all time high of 47 I think it was that I had gotten to at one time.

There's also another factor I think that drives that. Lack of time. So the less time I have to watch anime, the more picky I'm going to be about what I'm gonna watch. No more marathon watching or anything. It's 20 min here, 20 min there a couple times a week, so that's a lot of what's driving the decision to cut back too.

DragoonKain3
2006-09-02, 14:32
I remember when I started to watch fansubs that I HAD to see every single one of them. As time went on though, I saw less and less series per season, partly due to many being rehashes of older stuff, mostly due to the fact that I have less excellent series 'to catch up on'. Nowadays, I watch maybe 4-5 series per season tops (which is still a lot, around a whole day in around 3 months), and those are usually the interesting and high quality one that started that season.

Marathon sessions back then were the rule, but now if I am to marathon an entire series, it would have to be really REALLY good.

@horsdhaleine: Wow, you're on a threadomancy streak, arent' you? :P Not that I mind...

Lyannea
2006-09-03, 20:01
Before I was following one series a year. Now I have 3. I am definitly addicted. :D

ILoveKiyone
2006-09-07, 13:34
Anime is like cocaine. You always crave it, you can't ever get enough, you blow all of your money on it, and if you go for long periods without it, you can slip into psychological withdrawal. I think that an overaddicted otaku should just accept it and be happy.