PDA

View Full Version : Combat Piracy?

Fronzel
2003-11-28, 05:05
ADV and Bandai have anti-piracy email address (nopiracy@advfilms.com and support@bandai-ent.com). Does reporting websites that sell bootlegs really help?

Tomomi
2003-11-28, 05:08
Of course. If not, they wouldn't have taken such measures already. :)

AG3
2003-11-28, 10:43
At the very least it can't hurt. How much good it will do, that I don't know. Depends on the country the shop is based in, I assume.

PocariSweat
2003-11-28, 17:24
I don't really think you'd be doing anyone any favors. People who live in glass houses shouldn't be tossing copyright rocks (since fansubs walk a very thin line themselves) The distributors can spot these people as easily as you can, and I'm sure they will go after those they see fit to.

LiQuid|J
2003-11-28, 18:44
Glass house or no, I really don't like seeing bootleggers profitting off terrible quality subs. At the very least fansubbing is a non-profit service. I would say we're in plenty good position to throw some rocks.

Whether or not it's really an effective means of shutting someone down is to be determined...

PocariSweat
2003-11-28, 19:12
Well, I do think subbers sometimes use them as a source of raws (especially for older hard to get series). Since DVDs are essentially soft-subbed they can just replace the original engrish subbing with their own.

Still, in these cases the series is probably unlicensed, so any American distributor doesn't really have a claim to it. You'd have to report it to the original Japanese distributor (and it might not be a really great idea to have them take too much notice of fansubs).

Go-lytely
2003-11-28, 22:32
I see more and more HK Region 1 bootlegs. You know, the ones that include an English dub track. So the problem must be spreading.

PocariSweat
2003-11-28, 23:06
Hm - I don't think I've ever seen one sold as having an English dub. Usually, I just see them hawked on E-Bay as "All Region with Chineese and English subtitles".

Fronzel
2003-11-29, 05:12
I'm talking about 'legs of series liescened in North America and reporting them to the North American companies, so it's differant from fansubs, really, and these companies would have an interest. And if they didn't want random people telling them about pirates, why would they have anti-piracy email addresses? IS IT NOT SO?

PocariSweat
2003-11-29, 06:45
I'm talking about 'legs of series liescened in North America and reporting them to the North American companies, so it's differant from fansubs, really, and these companies would have an interest. And if they didn't want random people telling them about pirates, why would they have anti-piracy email addresses? IS IT NOT SO?

I'm sure they may want it, but why should you do their dirty work for them? Look at the RIAA for an example of what's bound to happen when you play those games. When the studios start to go after fansubs (and for several reasons it's bound to happen one of these days), will you nark on yourself? The U.S. distributors can and do take care of themselves.

If you don't like HK bootlegs then just don't buy them and let others know not to buy them and why - it's as simple as that.