PDA

View Full Version : FMA - Who has the best sub?

Ulayo
2003-11-28, 21:43
Could anyone help me decide which fansub of Fullmetal Alchemist I should choose?
Keep & ANBU and AnimeForever seems to be the two main alternatives here
(can't seem to get hold of the other fansubs), but which one of them have the best translation and editing?
(I prioritize translation and editing over video quality)

aznkoodies
2003-11-28, 21:56
Could anyone help me decide which fansub of Fullmetal Alchemist I should choose?
(can't seem to get hold of the other fansubs), but which one of them have the best translation and editing?

Stick with the experienced, ANBU & Anime-Keep, has my vote and their version on my hd..

bayoab
2003-11-29, 16:55

From what ive seen/heard, keep&anbu have the fewest errors...

DekaMaster
2003-11-29, 18:21
From what ive seen/heard, keep&anbu have the fewest errors...

My ONLY problem with the anbu version is the kanji karaoke. It's not really needed and it just takes up more of the screen.

Kasshin
2003-11-29, 19:26
I didn't really like the opening karaoke either, but I really liked the ending karaoke. The title was pretty cool too.

Videric
2003-11-29, 19:26
I would say AnimeForever.

Xeno
2003-11-29, 19:50
I liked a-keep&anbu's karaoke, but It would be alot better if they had kept it under the romaji lyrics like most fansubbers do. I also agree they have the least mistakes, not to mention I like their romajized version of the karaoke better(i'm just picky, things like typing out wa as ha in a song are just the tiny little things, but it doesn't ruin enjoyment or quality). I do think however, that a-keep&anbu do the better job, but If Animeforever releases first... hey, my opinion just might change =)

Ulayo
2003-11-29, 20:04
Hmm, ok. It seems to be leaning towards Keep & ANBU's version then.
I don't consider the karaoke to be very important though. I just see it as a little
extra bonus, and wouldn't care much even if they left it out.

And Videric, why AnimeForever? Some more arguments to why you prefer their version would be nice.

Knave
2003-12-01, 20:52
Well... unfortunately, Akeep as one GLARING error they made in the subtitling of the first episode.

Akeep: "This wasn't how it was supposed to turn out... Damn it! It took my arm!!"

AFF: "It wasn't supposed to be like this! Dammit! It took my leg!"

Now, uh. I can't speak for exact translation, but following the visuals, and having read the avail scanlations of the manga, the bottom line should be the proper one. Clearly his LEG is gone, not his ARM..

Having watched both versions of a few of the FMA episodes, I prefer the AFF versions, though lately I've ended up watching the Akeep versions simply because they come out faster. I have been downloading both though.

Shii
2003-12-01, 21:06
I remember a thread about the "arm/leg" thing at SomethingAwful... there was a bit of bickering back and forth about whether AnimeKeep had a literally correct translation and AF fudged it, or whether AnimeKeep was being a bunch of idiots.

NoSanninWa
2003-12-01, 21:18
Having seen a later episode, it is made clear that the leg was taken, not the arm, so I'm going to have to side with AF-F on this one.

Another foolish thing that Keep did was to rename the Philosopher's Stone, the Sorcerer's Stone. The only place that this legendary alchemical objective was called by that name was in the US Edition of Harry Potter. Even the original UK Edition called it the Philosopher's Stone.

I can't say why Keep made such a foolish mistake, but AF-F got it right. These are two reasons that I choose AF-F for FMP and encourage others to do the same.

Ulayo
2003-12-01, 21:31
Hmm... Interesting. Although these are just a few issues, I don't see how they alone could be reason enough to decide on AF-F's release.

bayoab
2003-12-01, 22:05
Well... unfortunately, Akeep as one GLARING error they made in the subtitling of the first episode.

Akeep: "This wasn't how it was supposed to turn out... Damn it! It took my arm!!"

AFF: "It wasn't supposed to be like this! Dammit! It took my leg!"

Now, uh. I can't speak for exact translation, but following the visuals, and having read the avail scanlations of the manga, the bottom line should be the proper one. Clearly his LEG is gone, not his ARM..

Having watched both versions of a few of the FMA episodes, I prefer the AFF versions, though lately I've ended up watching the Akeep versions simply because they come out faster. I have been downloading both though.

This was pointed out back at that time, I will point it out again. He does not mention a limb. He says "It was taken." or something like that. Hense, they are both wrong. When the subject is not defined, you cannot freely add something, even if it is clear from the picture. And one glaring error does not make a sub worse.

Rebochan
2003-12-02, 02:43
Keep got one of the character's names wrong in the first episode. "Gluttony" became "Blattony." A-F didn't make this mistake, nor did they yell at me in their forums for pointing out the Sorceror's Stone mistake. I have nothing against ANBU, but that attitude from A-KEEP is why I no longer download their releases.

NoSanninWa
2003-12-02, 02:44
This was pointed out back at that time, I will point it out again. He does not mention a limb. He says "It was taken." or something like that. Hense, they are both wrong. When the subject is not defined, you cannot freely add something, even if it is clear from the picture. And one glaring error does not make a sub worse.
Unfortunately English doesn't allow for sentences that lack a subject, so the group had to find a subject to put into that sentence to make it sound right. Keep found the wrong subject.

Similarly they seem to have never heard of the Philosopher's Stone. Then as Rebochan says, they messed up on one of the character's names.

Hmm... Interesting. Although these are just a few issues, I don't see how they alone could be reason enough to decide on AF-F's release.
They were pretty much similar, except for these three errors that Keep made in the first episode. So I just decided that I didn't want to risk all the errors that they would make in the episodes after that one.

drvtech
2003-12-02, 22:33

Unfortunately English doesn't allow for sentences that lack a subject, so the group had to find a subject to put into that sentence to make it sound right. Keep found the wrong subject.

I decided I had to jump in here and point that bayoab is the most correct in this issue. A trans of the line said would be It was taken or I lost it or I lost that or any combination of that sort. Now to answer NoSanninWa's comment...it does have a subject of "It" although not defined. Because Japanese is a language of inferences, they make you have to guess what this "it" or "there" was. If you look at the screen immediately when he says that line, yes his leg is taken away, his right leg. But the screen change right after, he is missing his left arm! (though this does point to a rather fun problem in later eps). If you see ep 2...his metallic arm is now his right arm and left leg.... (wee fun eh?)

So AF-F and Keep were both partially right and partially wrong as they both got only 1/2 the missing limbs correctly mentioned.

Videric
2003-12-03, 12:39
Ive got some reasons for watching AF-F.
1. I downloaded their version first and i liked it.
2. I dont like keep's typesetting in FMA
3. I dont like Keep at all

ps. I dont disslike ANBU ;) .ds

a_nevels666
2003-12-03, 15:05
If you look at the screen immediately when he says that line, yes his leg is taken away, his right leg. But the screen change right after, he is missing his left arm! (though this does point to a rather fun problem in later eps). If you see ep 2...his metallic arm is now his right arm and left leg.... (wee fun eh?)

So AF-F and Keep were both partially right and partially wrong as they both got only 1/2 the missing limbs correctly mentioned.

Wrong.

Check the episode again, neither of his arms are missing at that point, his left arm is just obscured from sight.

Captain K
2003-12-03, 19:37
Maybe I'm a little late weighing in on this topic (only by a day or so), but I think personally that AF-F is doing a better translation. They did have a problem getting a high-quality raw for episode 5 (which they explained on their forums), so the picture quality on that particular episode is a bit below par, although not much, but in general they just seem to do translations that sound more natural, less forced.

I couldn't decide who to go with either at first, so I watched both versions of one of the episodes and the AF-F translation really seemed a clear winner to me. I guess A-KEEP is to blame, because I like ANBU's translation of Naruto the best and what they and A-KEEP are putting out for FMA doesn't seem to measure up.

As impatient as I am, and as much as I hate waiting several days for the particular group I've chosen to stick with to release their version of a series' newest episode, I find it to be the most rewarding in the end. (e.g. ANBU and AonE have taken a couple days longer than everyone else to release Naruto eps, but their translation seems to be head and heels above everyone else's, so it's worth the wait, at least IMO)

drvtech
2003-12-03, 22:16
editing atm

Videric
2003-12-05, 12:25
well said Captain K.

Knave
2003-12-07, 10:32
I had wanted to mention the "Blattony" issue as well, but I couldn't find the specific spot in episode 1, so I didn't want to bring it up without hard evidence.

I'm not sure if AF-F decided to hit the anime's website first or read the manga, before translating the anime, or they just flat out got the translation right, but it shows more care. Another point is in the translation of the elements composing the human body... AF-F's seemed more accurate, but at that point, it might have just been my bias taking over as I had gotten a bit steemed with previous issues I mentioned.

And yes, I checked the anime's website the day I got the first episode of the anime, and all the names were up for the '3 sins' as I like to call them. If you couldn't figure out "Gurattoni", "Lust" and "Envy" made it clear.

If video quality is really an issue for ANYBODY these days, you should go crawl in a barrel and wait for the damn DVD to come out. I don't know how many old-school otaku there are on here, the ones who used to get their fansubs 4 episodes at a time, on a VHS tape, that could have been 6th or 7th generation. These tapes hadproblems with tracking, graininess, 'snow' and so forth.

Having said all that.

I'm a pretty tolerant anime fan. I download both versions of FMA so I can get the story ASAP from Akeep and then check out the AF-F version after to see if there's any differences. I just prefer the AF-F version because they didn't make mistakes than I knew were wrong. (I've only taken a year of Japanese, back in High School.)

And that's all I have to say about that. </Forrest>

YuuOminae
2003-12-07, 15:39
It really just strikes me as being careless. It's also just another example of groups releasing whatever looks cool and just started airing. A lot of this could have just been prevented if the groups had just bought the manga before the show started airing. I think it's REALLY important for a group to purchase the manga before working on the anime that's based on it.

Anbu-keep members have bought the manga at least and thus fixed a lot of the stuff so that it's at least consistent with the manga (aside from the National/State Alchemist thing).

AF-F staff probably haven't purchased the manga at all judging by their translation of 鉄血 (tekketsu) as Metalfist . Kanji by kanji, it's just Iron Blood(ed). It's also been used as the term to describe Bismarck (as in the Iron Chancellor) and also his iron and blood policy.

There's some other stuff to nitpick about but that would just be pointless bitching. All I'm really saying is take a look at the source material first.

Kasshin
2003-12-07, 18:21
Let's also take into account that keep / anbu released episode 1 first... and everyone was talking about the arm <-> leg thing. I'm sure all the other groups would have heard, and would have made theirs right. I don't think you can base your opinions on translation quality from one part of an episode that has about 300 lines of dialogue.

kannakills
2003-12-08, 09:00
So is it just the first episode of anbu-keep's version that had the glaring errors? Did anyone else notice any errors/differences in subsequent versions?

Thanks.

festosis
2003-12-08, 23:49
Maybe Akeep-Anbu will grace us with a 2nd version on the1st episode or maybe not? it would be nice. I also download both versions I am not sure yet wich one I want to keep. I first was set on Anime Forever because of the whole sorcerer's stone arm and leg thing. I have noticed little differences, in AF-F versions they say array, in Akeep-Anbu's its transmutating circle. In AF-F's version it seems that they simplify things a little more wich I liked at first. For example in Akeep-Anbu they said: Tucker-san transmutaded a chimera while AF-F they say: Tucker-san created a chimera. Now that I am 10 episodes in I am leaning more towards Akeep-Anbu's version, because I am more used to the series I don't mind if things are simplified or not. I don't mind the whole state/national certified alchemist thing. Also in AF-F's episode 10 when Al says that it feels like they're cutting school and then Ed gets mad says something halfway(at this point I didn't know what the hell was happening I though Ed was just a nut) and then gets caught for cheating. In Akeep-Anbu's version Al says It feels like were cheating and skipping school then Ed say who are you calling a cheater!(wich made more sense and goes along with Ed's short temper) and then gets caught. There also the part were(Akeep-Anbu) they call the town they go to a tourist spot and AF-F says the town is a sightseeing company. I only point these things out because it was asked, I think both groups are doing a wonderful job and I am happy just to be able to enjoy their work along with all the the other fansubbers out there. So Thank You! AF-F and Akeep-Anbu keep up the good work!

*aznplayboi*
2003-12-09, 02:05
in my opinion...animeforever is awsome for fullmetal alchemist. its extremely sharp and everything else is great.

[FeYed]
2003-12-09, 02:12
iono if nyone noticed, but anime-xen also doing FMA. But they are like WAYYYYYYYYY behind on their subs, but its kinda worth chking out, cus their quality is very good imo, typeset and all =P. Other than that, i would have to go with Keep.