PDA

View Full Version : Good music = Good anime.

Kempis Curious
2003-11-29, 21:27
Do y'all think there's a correlation between how good an anime is, and how good the open/ending themes and BGM are?

I know most of my favorite animes have rockin' good music: Ranma 1/2, Kodocha, Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar, Noir, Macross Plus, etc etc.

I'm wondering if a few things might be causing this:

1. Higher production budgets often make better anime and can hire better music writers.

2. If the producers make an anime that appeals to my tastes, perhaps their taste in music is also similar to mine.

3. If I love an anime, whatever music that's playing becomes more liked because I associate it with good memories of great anime.

There have been few exceptions to this correlation, mostly Shounen Jump animes (they seem to have simply AWFUL musical scores, especially in the first seasons, eg DragonBall Z, Naruto, and One Piece). Some anime I don't like with good music include Human Scramble , .hack/sign, and Green Green. Those are about the only exceptions to this rule that I've seen.

-k

Muraki
2003-11-29, 21:36
Yes it probably does have a positive correlation from good music to good anime b/c of budget (Ne the world is run by money...)

Besides that big companies seem to have the better anime and with the big companies comes the big budgets ^_^

Not that there aren't exceptions to this case..

Kempis Curious
2003-11-29, 21:40
Not that there aren't exceptions to this case..

I'm Curious about those exceptions. If y'all could list them that'd be great.

-k

BME
2003-11-29, 22:02
Avenger is a good exception, great OP and ED, terrible anime.

Muraki
2003-11-29, 22:09
Vampire Princess Miyu?? Hopefully I'm thinking of the right show....:X been staring at the comp all day :X headache

NightWish
2003-11-29, 22:12
I'd say its a reasonable observation. Defiantly the overall quality of an anime can be raised if it has good music. The same applies to movies... Shows I've really enjoyed have (almost?) always had sound tracks I love. Sometimes in their own right, sometimes like you suggest in point three, because I link the music to an enjoyable anime unconsciously.

Generally I think its a matter of effort. If the production company has put lots of effort into it, the result will be better. This would mean they've selected a sound track that goes well with the feel of the show, not just one in a style I like. This extra effort normally (but not always) requires time, money and people skilled in the field; so you're going to see a slight correlation between quality and budget. If they are willing to put effort into the OST, chances are they are putting the same effort into all other aspects of the show (at least, a good company will), so yes -- you'll see a link between the quality of each of shows individual aspects.

I think this is tempered though; like you suggest: what makes really "good" music, like that which makes a "good" anime, is dependent on personal preferences -- a matter more of opinion than fact. The exceptions you note are probably where the second point you make falls down... Your taste doesn't match the creator's taste in one or other aspect, be it music or animation style.

boneyjellyfish
2003-11-29, 22:28

-k

Do Sister Princess RePuRe and .hack//LIMINALITY ring any bells?

Vicious
2003-11-29, 22:59
Wow, I hate the .hack series OST, I just got fu**ing sick and tired of hearing that horrible song every damn episode. And I hate Avenger's op and end too :p

The best example of "good music = good anime" is, without a doubt, Cowboy Bebop.

Tomomi
2003-11-29, 23:01

-k

Hmm, what about Star Ocean EX? I love the OP, but the storyline sucks. I stopped watching after episode 1. :heh:

Kempis Curious
2003-11-29, 23:10
Do Sister Princess RePuRe and .hack//LIMINALITY ring any bells?

I'm guessing you didn't like Sister Princess rePure since it's a running joke around here that it sucked pretty bad. I fell asleep during the first ep (very rare that I do that) so I can't give a valid opinion. ^_^ I don't remember the music at all from that.

A lot of people liked .hack/whatever. I remember /luminality as being similar to /sign... unremarkable and rather slow. I don't remember the music from that, though I remember the music from /sign as being very good. (I got to hear it in concert played by the composer and her little band at AX last time. :love: She also did Noir music. :love: :love: :love:) Did you like luminality?

Vampire Princess Miyu?? Hopefully I'm thinking of the right show

I remember the second ending theme from VPM as being extremely good, though I also remember the other themes as being unremarkable. Did you like that anime? A lot of people do.

-k

boneyjellyfish
2003-11-29, 23:59
I'm guessing you didn't like Sister Princess rePure since it's a running joke around here that it sucked pretty bad. I fell asleep during the first ep (very rare that I do that) so I can't give a valid opinion. ^_^ I don't remember the music at all from that.

A lot of people liked .hack/whatever. I remember /luminality as being similar to /sign... unremarkable and rather slow. I don't remember the music from that, though I remember the music from /sign as being very good. (I got to hear it in concert played by the composer and her little band at AX last time. :love: She also did Noir music. :love: :love: :love:) Did you like luminality?

-k

I'm ashamed to say that I watched the entirety of BOTH series, and let me tell you that they were more effective than the leading sleeping pill! Anyway, here are my reviews of the two. They aren't my best reviews, but still good nonetheless :D

Sister Princess Repure review (http://boneyjellyfish.com/index.php?showID=42)
.hack//LIMINALITY review (http://boneyjellyfish.com/index.php?showID=19)

I can think of a few other anime that had really good music but really stunk, but those are the first two that popped into my head.

And I hate Avenger's op and end too

Ever hear a chipmunk get stuck in a running car engine? Yeah, they sound about the same.

Wandering_Youth
2003-11-30, 05:38
I think .hack//SIGN had great music, but the pace of the story was incredibly slow and boring. Noir is about the samething...

Muraki
2003-11-30, 12:31
.hack//sign's music wasn't bad but it was sooooooo boring too much talking, it helped me to fall asleep though, watching it got me snoring in like 5 minutes :heh: though that may be a slight exaggeration it does put me to sleep quickly...

Kurara
2003-11-30, 15:02
Yeah, I agree.. The music adds a lot of atmosphere to an anime. It's that way with video games as well.. I think music is very important. There's a lot of anime series I like that don't have good music in my opinion, though.. But I actually began to like some anime series because of their soundtrack.. Like Hellsing. Hellsing really isn't the type of anime I would watch on my own.. But I really loved the soundtrack.. I thought it was awesome.. The Chikyuu Shoujo Arjuna soundtrack is really good too.. ^^ Etc.