PDA

View Full Version : Otaku?

Kawaii_Sennin
2003-12-01, 04:16
Please, don't flame me but what is Otaku? People are talking about it and I don't know what it is.

gravitation
2003-12-01, 04:29
an otaku means a god of something, but in the anime world it means the god of anime/a huge fan is you will :) i think its summin along those line :) :D ^_^

Kawaii_Sennin
2003-12-01, 04:33
Are you sure? I saw in some other thread that it means really perverted guys that like to draw small breasted girls.:uhoh: :twitch:.

FMPFaN83
2003-12-01, 05:13
Otaku is a rather rude thing to call somebody in Japan, means roughly obsessive -- all you think off -- smelly person whose so obessed its sickening, In north america anime fans have been trying to reclaim the word, though i dont see why...

NoSanninWa
2003-12-01, 05:18
Gravitation's response is absolutely wrong... :sigh:

In this country Otaku means a fan of anime. In Japan it means an obsessive fan of any sort. There are model otaku, video gaming otaku, doll otaku... you get the idea.

Originally the word "Otaku" meant simply "You," but was changed by time and associations. As a curt, informal way of saying "you" it was mostly used by obsessive fans, the sorts that are so involved with their hobby that they don't find time to bathe much or even eat regularly. Eventually it came to be a word that was used to refer to the people that use it.

In Japan the word is slightly insulting. In America it simply means a fan of anime without any negative context.

Kawaii_Sennin
2003-12-01, 05:53
Ohhh... now I get it:p:D. Arigatou Gozimasu, NoSanninWa

Loki_Sama
2003-12-01, 06:22
Gravitation's response is absolutely wrong... :sigh:

In this country Otaku means a fan of anime. In Japan it means an obsessive fan of any sort. There are model otaku, video gaming otaku, doll otaku... you get the idea.

Originally the word "Otaku" meant simply "You," but was changed by time and associations. As a curt, informal way of saying "you" it was mostly used by obsessive fans, the sorts that are so involved with their hobby that they don't find time to bathe much or even eat regularly. Eventually it came to be a word that was used to refer to the people that use it.

In Japan the word is slightly insulting. In America it simply means a fan of anime without any negative context.

YEP...thats damm right :D
why do americans always wanna change everything for their own selfish convinience?

ironfrost
2003-12-01, 08:17
>In Japan the word is slightly insulting. In America it simply means a fan of anime without any negative context.

Interestingly, in UK fandom it seems to have gone the opposite way - a lot of fans over here see the term as being quite offensive.

boneyjellyfish
2003-12-01, 12:23
For more information, refer to the anime Otaku no Video

kazusa
2003-12-01, 21:52
NoSanninWa is correct ;)
Otaku just means a big fan or maniac of something. *hehe*

NoSanninWa
2003-12-02, 03:06
Then that word would have to refer to our resident jellyfish, since he is an Ultra Maniac!

Your explanation is also not completely right.
It doesn't mean "you"... (maybe you confuse it with "omae"). The origin of the word is "taku" whick means "house", the "o" is usually a prefix for saying something in a polite way, or for things you hold very dear.
The word was used, because those people were so obsessed with their hobbys, that they barely left/leave their homes.
Not being a native japanese speaker myself, I simply took someone's word for the etymology of the word. Can anyone else (perferably a native speaker) verify that Otaku is not a rather obscure word for 'you'?

kj1980
2003-12-02, 04:39
Actually, both of you have it correct...it's a combo of both.

The term "otaku" is literally "house." However, it is most oftenly used as a second/third person noun, by referring to "[your/their] house."

for example:

今日の晩御飯、貴方のお宅は何になさるんですか?
Kyou no Bangohan, Anata no otaku wa nanini nasarun desuka?
What is your house going to have tonight's dinner?

あのお宅の息子さん、東京大学に合格したんだよ。
Ano otaku no musuko-san, Tokyo Daigaku ni goukaku shitandayo.
The son of that house was accepted into Tokyo University.

By the late 1970s and early 1980s, a new slang term which derived from the original meaning came into form. Like one of you have said, "a person very much so obsessed with a hobby that he/she rarely leaves the home" came into use with the original definition of "second/third person house" noun. This slang is usually written in hiragana form おたく or in katakana form, オタク. It was originally meant to be derogatory...and still is.

But somewhere in the 1990s, some Japanese hobby-maniacs began to feel proud to call themselves "an otaku" with pride. Their stance is, "we otakus are the first ones that recognize a coming big hit, we should be proud to be otakus!" To differentiate themselves, they prefer to use the katakana ヲタク. It's kinda like what you guys call Star Trek fans "Trekkies" whereas Star Trek fans themselves more likely refer to themselves as "Trekkers." (not a really good corrollation, I know).

And like one person said, it is not a term mainly used for anime only. And, in a sense, the word "otaku" and "mania" and "fan" can be used interchangeably...the only difference is the level of how much that person is immersed into a hobby. A simple relation(but neccessarily bound to) would be: otaku > mania > fan. But then again, an otaku would also be a mania and a fan, and a fan can also be an otaku and a mania as well.

All things put aside, a getting directly to the point:

"An otaku by true definition is second/third person house"
"An otaku by slang usage is someone very obsessed with a hobby to a high level of extremity"

But then again, even though I may be Japanese, I am not a Japanese language scholar, so whatever I say may be refuted by a prominent Japanese language professor at a prestigious university ^^;

NoSanninWa
2003-12-02, 05:26
Wow! Very impressive language lesson and etymology. Thank you for writing that essay. I think that this thread has served its purpose since nobody could possibly add anything of consequence after that. Anytime anyone else ever asks what an otaku is, I'll just send them here.

Tboz
2003-12-02, 09:23
Are you sure? I saw in some other thread that it means really perverted guys that like to draw small breasted girls.:uhoh: :twitch:. Whoever told you that deserves a knock on his head, he is not even half close. :heh:

Thanks... kj1980... I learnt something new again. :D