PDA

View Full Version : Questions and More Questions

sOnJoOL
2004-08-17, 23:02
Q1: Which American Anime Company release most episodes per disc.

Q2: The most episode released in america

Q3: Some Comanies that Censor the anime.

Q4: And Some Really good series. (Preferably OVA, or short 13 episode series)

I'm trying to get a Official Dvd, but im having hard time choosing between

Gad Guard
Shingetsume Tsukihime
Wolf's Rain
Samurai X: OAV
Excel Saga

i heard wolf's rain is really good.
i know Samurai X is good.
but i donno about gad guard and Shingetsume Tsukihime.
excel saga is cheap. thats why its on the list
and do you have any starter dvd suggestion?

7thMethuselah
2004-08-18, 11:32
Get Shingetsuatn Tsukihime : it's about the best title among the ones you present. This is my personal opinion though, Tsukihime is a dark and mysterious story.

Mr_Paper
2004-08-18, 13:00
All those series are pretty good so you could get them all if you wanted to.

A1: The number of episodes per disc averages between three and four. It's depentant on many factors, but those are the averages. All the anime companies in North America are very consistant with the number of episodes they put on each disc so you're not in for any real suprises. The most I've seen is around six or seven episodes per disc for super low motion series and that was pushing it.

A2: Are you asking about the longest running series licensed in North America? If so, the answer to your question is probably Urusei Yatsura. With 195 television episodes, 6 feature length movies and 11 original animations it's the longest licensed series I can think of off hand.

A3: 4Kids, Dic and Nelvana ... and to a lesser extent TokyoPop.

A4: I can't really suggest anything here because I don't know what you like in a series, but 3x3 Eyes has never hurt anyone. ^^;

2004-08-18, 14:49
Well, my copy of 3x3 Eyes fell off the shelf and hit me on the head once, does that count? ;p

DrWho2002
2004-08-18, 21:19
A2: Case Closed (Meitantei Conan) will be aiming to beat that mark from UY, but it just started coming out over here, so it's got a long time go to yet, but Funi has said they have all of it, so that's 370 eps (as of today), and 8 movies.

Melazoma
2004-08-18, 21:40
Q1: Which American Anime Company release most episodes per disc.

Q2: The most episode released in america

Q3: Some Comanies that Censor the anime.

Q4: And Some Really good series. (Preferably OVA, or short 13 episode series)

I'm trying to get a Official Dvd, but im having hard time choosing between

Gad Guard
Shingetsume Tsukihime
Wolf's Rain
Samurai X: OAV
Excel Saga

i heard wolf's rain is really good.
i know Samurai X is good.
but i donno about gad guard and Shingetsume Tsukihime.
excel saga is cheap. thats why its on the list
and do you have any starter dvd suggestion?If you are looking for anime at bargain prices, boxsets, ADV's Essential Anime line and Geneon's Signature Series are the way to go. I recently picked up ADV's Essential Anime edition of Cutey Honey (the 1997 Shin Cutey Honey OVA) for $12 USD at Best Buy. It's 8 episodes on 2 discs in the same case--well worth the money.

In the episode per disc department though, I give Bandai my kudos for their treatment of Gundam Seed, which will be 5 episodes each over 10 discs.

You can pick up Excel Saga: The IMPerfect Collection for about $55 if you know where to look. I'd buy it, but my money's tied up with the current releases and pre-orders. I'm collecting:
Last Exile
Gundam SEED
Azumanga Daioh
Ikki Tousen
Kaleido Star
Gravion(I'm getting Zwei, too)
EVA Platinum
Gad Guard
R.O.D the TV

Tsukihime and Chrono Crusade are pre-ordered for me. If you want a source of information on anime DVD-buying, look to www.animeondvd.com, there are plenty of information in both the main site and the forum.

My Suggestions:
Tsukihime(just a great show)
Gundam SEED(good episode count and a great show)
Those Bandai Complete Collection(CCs) coming out starting next month:
Witch Hunter Robin CC in October--great show, a lot cheaper than buying the individual discs
.Hack//SIGN CC in October--same as the above
Escaflowne CC--has the entire TV series and the movie in one box.
S-Cry-Ed CC in November.

Anyways, waiting for boxsets are the way to go for budget-conscious people(which I'm not... I need to be though :heh: ).

sOnJoOL
2004-08-20, 19:34
i went to BestBuy, and got Trust&Betrayal for $22.95
now im saving for excel saga or Reflection.
but then, if i see some more stuff i might change my mind.
I saw Wolf's Rain Limited Edition, but i didnt have enuff money.
Shingetsusan Tsukihime was nowhere in sight.
i saw GetBackers BoxSet with Volume 1. for 25 bucks.
i was going to get it but i saw it already. so i didnt.
i hope i can buy something else before school starts.

Kyuven
2004-08-21, 11:24
i went to BestBuy, and got Trust&Betrayal for $22.95
now im saving for excel saga or Reflection.
but then, if i see some more stuff i might change my mind.
I saw Wolf's Rain Limited Edition, but i didnt have enuff money.
Shingetsusan Tsukihime was nowhere in sight.
i saw GetBackers BoxSet with Volume 1. for 25 bucks.
i was going to get it but i saw it already. so i didnt.
i hope i can buy something else before school starts.
Tsukihime isn't due out til later in september anyway
as for episodes per disc, the most i've seen crammed on a legit disc was 8 or so 23-24 minute episodes (the 1/4 and 1/2 length episodes don't count, they're usually 6-8 per disc...) of Sorcerer Hunters and Fruits Basket (ADV and FUNimation respectively)
what you purchase from which company can depend on a few things:
Geneon typically has the higher quality releases and a generally more "adult" selection, but cost more. They also have their older series being released at bargain prices like Tenchi Muyo, soultaker, gatekeepers, etc. a lot of their recent releases have been pre-licensed (Tenjou Tenge, Hanaukyo Maids, etc.)
AnimEigo has a lot of quality releases, but are rather rare
Viz has very few releases, overcharges for them, and only puts 3 episodes per disc (still can't complain though, it's cheaper than japan, but by US standards they suck at releasing anime)
4kids...the less said about them the better
FUNimation: fewer episodes per disc than ADV and Geneon usually, but they also tend to be cheaper, and their releases are consistant (of course, Bandai, ADV, and Geneon's are too but still) and they have a certain consistancy in their licenses (aimed at teenagers) and most of the shows they license will appear on air. In addition, they make an effort to acquire the merchandise involved in the series as well (probably one of the reasons they're bringing over the FMA game) also they give away DVDs at their panels :)
ADV: slightly more expensive than FUNi, but with more episodes per disc and more series than you can shake a stick at. Most of their shows will be aired as well, but on a digital cable channel. they also like to plug their voice actors a lot, which are, btw, hit or miss when it comes to voicing characters (The good: Azumanga Daioh (not as good as the japanese VAs though), the bad: Lost Universe) They'll license ANYTHING (sister princess anyone?)
Bandai: releases are similar to ADV's, and they have exclusive rights to everything Gundam
Right Stuf: they license H-game to anime shows, nuff said

sOnJoOL
2004-08-21, 23:56
i dont know about you, but then .Hack series was good to me.
Sign, Limitality, and Dusk.
I might consider getting them since i never finished them.
then theres excel saga which is a bargain....

Melazoma
2004-08-22, 04:20
i dont know about you, but then .Hack series was good to me.
Sign, Limitality, and Dusk.
I might consider getting them since i never finished them.
then theres excel saga which is a bargain....I recommend on holding back the purchase of the .Hack//SIGN series in singles(which will cost anywhere from ). As mentioned above, in October, you can pick up the entire series in a boxset for about $100 at Best Buy. Speaking of Best Buy, check out the Madden 2005 display rack if you happen you be in one. There should be stacks of coupon books, each containing a coupon for 20% off any DVD purchase good for up to 3 DVDs per customer. :) I got my Last Exile Vol. 5 for under $18--40% off a Geneon DVD, unusually low for their high wholesale prices.

sOnJoOL
2004-08-23, 15:25
im waiting to get fruits basket.

7thMethuselah
2004-08-23, 16:15
if you think the GTO individual DVD's are too expensive then buy the box, the first box is about 85$ and hold 5 DVD's the second box will be released in actober and holds the other 5 DVD

Melazoma
2004-08-23, 17:28
if you think the GTO individual DVD's are too expensive then buy the box, the first box is about 85$ and hold 5 DVD's the second box will be released in actober and holds the other 5 DVDThat could be a problem with the GTO Boxsets though... The first box, containing Volume 1-5 was limited and is now something of a discontinued product. I've looked for it at the usual discount stores, no one carries it. That's only reason why I'm not getting the second GTO box yet--I'm going to wait for a complete boxset. I gotta have my box! :D

Oh speaking of bundles, the Right Stuf has quite a few new DVD series bundles listed, among them the entire Kino no Tabi series for $55--you come out with about $13.75 per disc.

Mr_Paper
2004-08-23, 17:36
That could be a problem with the GTO Boxsets though... The first box, containing Volume 1-5 was limited and is now something of a discontinued product. I've looked for it at the usual discount stores, no one carries it.Really? :heh:

My local anime shop ordered 2 of the first boxset when it came out, one sold (to me) the day it came in and the other has been gathering dust on the shelves since then. ^^;

7thMethuselah
2004-08-23, 17:44
That could be a problem with the GTO Boxsets though... The first box, containing Volume 1-5 was limited and is now something of a discontinued product. I've looked for it at the usual discount stores, no one carries it. That's only reason why I'm not getting the second GTO box yet--I'm going to wait for a complete boxset. I gotta have my box! :D

Kinda weird I bought mine only recently and they still had plenty they told me. Btw I was mistaken, the second GTO Box is for end of september, only a month from now, let's hope they don't throw in a lousy t-shirt again :heh:

Melazoma
2004-08-23, 17:53
Really? :heh:

My local anime shop ordered 2 of the first boxset when it came out, one sold (to me) the day it came in and the other has been gathering dust on the shelves since then. ^^;Hang on... They weren't there when I search for them a few weeks ago, but some are now available in DVDPacific--not I trust them anymore after their shipping charge policies and that credit card fiasco... I'm hoping DDD or Right Stuf would stock these...

It's going to be another T-Shirt, it's in the Tokyopop listing. :)

7thMethuselah
2004-08-23, 17:57
It's going to be another T-Shirt, it's in the Tokyopop listing. :)

Really, damn that suxx, i wonder what i'm gonna do with those t-shirts ... Ah well at least I'll know what to wear at the next convention or my next japanese language class :heh:

Mr_Paper
2004-08-23, 17:57
Hang on... They weren't there when I search for them a few weeks ago, but some are now available in DVDPacific--not I trust them anymore after their shipping charge policies and that credit card fiasco... I'm hoping DDD or Right Stuf would stock these...

It's going to be another T-Shirt, it's in the Tokyopop listing. :)How many T-Shirts do they think we need? :eyebrow:

As I don't wear anything with a visable brand name or logo, I never wear the t-shirt that came with the first boxset (that and I don't wear t-shirts). What am I going to do with a second? >.<