PDA

View Full Version : MTV one step away from dubbing anime

FlyByNite
2003-12-02, 20:13
Anyhow, we know that MTV has bought the rights to air Heat Guy J, although that should be Geneon's dub. And at the time I said something like if that suceeds it could mean MTV starts buying animes and dubbing them with musicians. Well here comes news that MTV has bought the rights to a Asian live-action movie and will be dubbing it with hip-hop stars.

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|84975|1|,00.html

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - MTV is pulling a "What's Up, Tiger Lily?" on a South Korean martial-arts action film, redubbing its vocal track with a cast of hip-hop stars.
"Volcano High" is scheduled to debut at 9 p.m. ET Sunday, Dec. 21. The movie, released in South Korea in 2001, is based on a comic book set in a high school where every student is a martial artist.

MTV's version will feature a new hip-hop score and the voices of OutKast's Big Boi and Andre 3000, Snoop Dogg, Mya, Tracy Morgan, Method Man, Lil' Jon, Kelis and "Karate Kid" star Pat Morita.

I'm telling you man, someone better buy the rights to Naruto before MTV gets it and Little Bow Wow is Naruto!

Xiandu
2003-12-02, 22:55
OMG!! when i saw the commercial the other day on MTV i about died. Now they have the rights to Heat Guy J. Fu****** this is just great. Man MTV better not use hip hop stars to dub anime. It will be a slap in the face to all anime fans whether they like subbed or dubbed. American voice acting may not be the greatest but has greatly improved over say 5 years ago. Using dubbing MTV is going about it is only going to make dubbing go backwards. Man this horrible. For the love of god i hope MTV just uses the production companies voice actors and does not try to do what they did with that Korean movie. If they do, I think MTV has gone way too far this time.

method
2003-12-02, 23:03
Oh no the sky is falling.
While I don't like what MTV is doing to Volcano high it doesn't mean that they will go after a series the size of Naruto.

maxthelostboy
2003-12-02, 23:07
cartoons are just cartoons no matter how good they are. someone always screws it up especially if somethings on mtv. Which is the stupidest station now it used to actually be about MUSIC! Beavius and butthead was the last good thing they ever showed. now it's filled with almost all talentless singers who have a pc make them sound good. Most music sucks nowadays

Xiandu
2003-12-02, 23:25
Max you could have not said it any clearer. I absolutely cannot stand MTV. All about singers and how they can look the best on tv instead of really good music. Without a doubt has to be the single most annoying thing in the "New" age of music. Funny, but i miss the music of 5 years ago. GAAAAAAAA!!!! My god i am starting to sound like my parents...... What a sad sad day. I spit on MTeenieboppersV

microlith
2003-12-02, 23:52
MTV is not dubbing Heat Guy J. They're just showing it.

Xiandu
2003-12-03, 00:01
We know that. We are just hoping that they don't do that like they did that korean movie, in the future.

Mephisto03
2003-12-03, 03:21
Max you could have not said it any clearer. I absolutely cannot stand MTV. All about singers and how they can look the best on tv instead of really good music. Without a doubt has to be the single most annoying thing in the "New" age of music. Funny, but i miss the music of 5 years ago. GAAAAAAAA!!!! My god i am starting to sound like my parents...... What a sad sad day. I spit on MTeenieboppersV

Ummm 5 years ago (1998) there really wasn't any good music either. maybe go back to like the 80's early 90's when there was good music. or at least the last time music had a meaning. Well no actually i'm wrong cause thats when it all started to look good with crappy music. so lets go back to the 70's yeah thats a good decade.

Aurora
2003-12-03, 03:45
LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - MTV is pulling a "What's Up, Tiger Lily?" on a South Korean martial-arts action film, redubbing its vocal track with a cast of hip-hop stars.
"Volcano High" is scheduled to debut at 9 p.m. ET Sunday, Dec. 21. The movie, released in South Korea in 2001, is based on a comic book set in a high school where every student is a martial artist.

MTV's version will feature a new hip-hop score and the voices of OutKast's Big Boi and Andre 3000, Snoop Dogg, Mya, Tracy Morgan, Method Man, Lil' Jon, Kelis and "Karate Kid" star Pat Morita.

MTV hasn't been any good for nearly 10 years. Even their Insomniac Music Theater, which is probably their largest block of actual videos, loops the same 10 videos over and over.

As for Volcano High I am very interested to see how it turns out. Especially since I am a huge fan of Andre 3000, Big Boi, Snoop and Method Man. Besides, I haven't seen the original movie, so I won't be horribly offended by any of the changes being made. It could possibly bring more fans into the world of anime. I know several people who aren't anime literate but who watch MTV and love hip hop who are also interested in seeing this show.

Xiandu
2003-12-03, 04:52
I too love most of those rappers, but come on, who in the blue hell wants to hear them voice acting. It's a tragedy waiting to happen. I just don't in any way see that voice over being any good or giving justice to that film. It's probally a good film too.

Yes, while MTV has been crap for many many years, they have still played some(while it was very very little) good music. Now it is all crap. I have found like maybe 3-5 songs this year that they have played and actually thought they sounded good. Pretty sad considering how many songs have played on their airwaves.

The Xenos
2003-12-03, 06:43
Aw... crap...

Well, I saw at least the first half of the movie. It wasn't too serious, but I don't think it deserves this sort of treatment.

Plus I don't think this has anythig to do with anime dubbing. At least I hope not. All MTV is doing it trying to muscle in and rip off that Kung Fu remix show that is on that other music channel, Fuse (a much better music channel btw). I don't and can't stand why they'd take a good recent film instead of old kung fu movies like that show does.

-Xenos

SirCanealot
2003-12-03, 15:02
I'd be intrested in musians dubbing anime...
If I remember rightly the guy who played the monk in Mononoke was a musian, maybe a raper, I don't remember and he was by far the best out of all the English voice actors imo.

So don't put it down till it's been tried...

OFFSPRiNGCo16
2003-12-03, 17:16
Well, I personally dont want MTV touching any anime, unless they aired it subbed. :p Also, I really hate MTV. My friend wrote a nice little article about MTV, which may be a nice read for some of you. (I found it pretty amusing, but please, if you like MTV, be offended) lol jk.
http://www.gexus.com/mircol/op35.htm

EDIT: Realize that the article doesnt have much to do with the topic, its just an opinion on MTV. If you take offense, or think that it is not appropriate, please alert me and I will gladly take the link down.

Soten
2003-12-04, 12:02
It would be cool to use only the Wutang Clan members, those guys keep it real.

Sadly the average american (MTVwatcher) doesnt take asian entertainment seriously. So I doubt this dub of Volcano High will be true at all to the original story. All in all I'm interested to see it, even if it means an MTV crash and burn.

And They better not fuck up Heat Guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND!!!!!!!!! If I hear Carson Daily comment about anything anime, I might just have to commit suicide. Sorry everyone.

pathyfinder
2003-12-04, 19:01
i need a hug.... you guys are frightening me with this MTV /anime relationship!!!!

I remember when I had MTV on all day (HONEST) when my kids were young in the late 80's and early 90's.... and I loved it then it went to hell in a handbasket and short of watching a short series this summer called "surf girls" I can not even stand flipping channels and landing on it! If they don't take music seriously they will not take anime serious.

LiQuid|J
2003-12-04, 23:41
Xenos knows what's up. MTV is just jumping on the Kung Faux (http://www.kungfaux.com/) bandwagon... I don't think this has any bearing on possible future MTV endeavors into the realm of anime. You guys can all go change your underwear now...

FinFangFoom
2003-12-05, 02:59
If I remember rightly the guy who played the monk in Mononoke was a musian, maybe a raper, I don't remember and he was by far the best out of all the English voice actors imo.

Thats really stretching it to call Billy Bob Thornton a musician. Yes he does play music and has a cd out but I don't think very many people out there even know he plays music. He is first and formost a very talented actor and director (Sling Blade, Monsters Ball) who's success has given him some exposer as a musician.

If you want an example of the kind of acting musicians are capable of go rent Micheal Jacksons "Moonwalker" or Snoop Dogs "The Legend of Jimmy Bones". Then be affraid, be very affraid.

And as far as eMTV screwing up anime dubbing I would'nt worry to much about it, they have done well in the past The Maxx coming first to my mind. Yes it had Macho Man Randy Savage doing the voice of the main character but it could not have been more perfect for the part. And even though I think the new Spider-Man cartoon sucks ass because of the animation, the voice acting is fine.

I think it's funny though that they came out with MTV2 to give people a 24 hr music channel again it only took about 1 year after they tricked everyone into helping get it national before they turn it into a MTV diary, Cribs, Behind the Music channel just like the first one. That is why no matter how good of a job they do on any anime series I will wait a few hours after it airs and just download it off bit-torrent so as not to promote something I dispise very deeply.

Lets hope and pray that this new Anime channel respects the original authors by doing high quality dubs (or subs), leaves all shows uncut and picks up momentum enough to go national.

ZhouYu
2003-12-05, 03:11
oh god..... i can see it already...

"yo.... wuts hap'ning b?"

outlaw55
2003-12-05, 13:25
Well, don't look at it THAT bad, could be worse.....a shows dubs could be as bad as Love Hina's......*shudder*

I think even pop stars could do a better job than what was done with Love Hina, LOL!!

arzenal2004
2004-02-03, 19:49
Well, I personally dont want MTV touching any anime, unless they aired it subbed. :p Also, I really hate MTV. My friend wrote a nice little article about MTV, which may be a nice read for some of you. (I found it pretty amusing, but please, if you like MTV, be offended) lol jk.

EDIT: Realize that the article doesnt have much to do with the topic, its just an opinion on MTV. If you take offense, or think that it is not appropriate, please alert me and I will gladly take the link down.
One question do you like rap? Was your friend on Crystal Meth when he wrote all that stuff especially that part about rap?

Shii
2004-02-03, 21:00
My friend wrote a nice little article about MTV, which may be a nice read for some of you.
What a lame ripoff of Maddox.

He got the part about rap entirely right, though.

Mr_Anonomis
2004-02-03, 21:16
I really have to agree with your friend offspring and all of you who say that mtv is horrible and would mess up any anime that they could do, even say pokemon(if you want to consider that anime)

method
2004-02-03, 21:17
One question do you like rap? Was your friend on Crystal Meth when he wrote all that stuff especially that part about rap?

Sounds like he was.

Tabiree
2004-02-03, 22:49
What a lame ripoff of Maddox.

He got the part about rap entirely right, though.

Because if Maddox wasn't bad enough, they also have pop up ads and act like a hardcore internet Ninjhaaaaa

Go-lytely
2004-02-04, 00:20

Holy crap! I didnt know Billy Bob Thornton was a raper.

Tabiree
2004-02-04, 02:34
Holy crap! I didnt know Billy Bob Thornton was a raper.

FOOLISH MAN OF FLESH!!!!

(PS kidding)

ElvenPath
2004-02-04, 06:16
/me reminds people to stay on-topic.

John Desire
2004-02-05, 23:27
Okay, you are all complaining just because an American company got their hands on one of your "precious" Asian shows. Oh wow, it doesn't contain subtitles! AND IT IS IN ENGLISH? How ever am I going to get those whiny voices I so love? Really, you all should not be worried, it was not something Japanese to begin with.

The fact that you have to have everything original is absurd. If you were a true fan of a series, you'd get it no matter what the condition, but instead you appoint yourself to be elitist idiots who only want what is the closet to the Japanese original. Why don't you just desert your country and go to Japan. Oh wait, most of you will find out that you won't fit in! Don't most of you realize that Japanese cartoons were inspired by Amercian things?

If rap was the rage in Japan, I can guarantee that almost all of you would be obsessing over it. Why? Well if J-Pop is the thing, what is to stop you from liking rap if you like Japanese stuff?

Sorry I couldn't type this in romaji so you could spend hours translating it.

Deralti
2004-02-05, 23:41
Having a bad day, are we?

The fact that you have to have everything original is absurd.
What the hell are you doing on this forum?
As to "why" most need the original, is because, on about 80-95% of english dubbed animes, the voices are horribly annoying. I have to agree about the "high pitched annoying voices" when it comes to certain japanese voiced animes, but thats why I don't watch them ;).

Then, there are exceptions, where the company making the dubs actually cares, and even surpasses the japanese voicing.
An example I've seen is Blue Submarine No. 06, and according to a friend Hellsing was as well.

As for J-pop vs. Rap...I don't even like rap a whole lot, but I'd take it over J-pop anyday, J-pop is only for masochistic uses IMO, its so painful...

John Desire
2004-02-05, 23:50
I had used J-Pop as the example because it was what is "Pop"ular in Japan. So the Pop could have been rap, rock, etc.

Also, your response is appreciated (I know some others may not be) since you actually present a valid point. I am here because I don't see what is wrong with American dubbing.

Mr. Bushido
2004-02-06, 00:49
american dubbing sucks... the voices dont fit. Im not a fan of korean drama or live action shows....
in fact i only watch korean comedy, but mtv was horrible with these things. We like originals because
its just the best. Id perfer real games over burned/copied games anyday. Ppl who love operas watch it
in european languages and only a few decide to watch the english versions. Im also sure u wouldnt go around
buying fake gucci/rolex/other expensive things i wouldnt know about...
Besides, its wat we like... its our opinion not urs.

btw... wats up with this sudden interest in korea? why does elementary kids know what korea is? (lol)
seriously tho, when i was little kid (even middle school) ppl wouldnt know what korea is.

Lst2touchdasky
2004-02-06, 01:09
Volcano high wasnt that bad- it was funny, the voices was so out of place it was so stupid that it was worth watching... or it could have been the girl w/ the wierd hair that drawn me into watching it- but thats not a bad thing ^.^

FinFangFoom
2004-02-06, 01:32
Okay, you are all complaining just because an American company got their hands on one of your "precious" Asian shows. Oh wow, it doesn't contain subtitles! AND IT IS IN ENGLISH? How ever am I going to get those whiny voices I so love? Really, you all should not be worried, it was not something Japanese to begin with.

The fact that you have to have everything original is absurd. If you were a true fan of a series, you'd get it no matter what the condition, but instead you appoint yourself to be elitist idiots who only want what is the closet to the Japanese original. Why don't you just desert your country and go to Japan. Oh wait, most of you will find out that you won't fit in! Don't most of you realize that Japanese cartoons were inspired by Amercian things?

If rap was the rage in Japan, I can guarantee that almost all of you would be obsessing over it. Why? Well if J-Pop is the thing, what is to stop you from liking rap if you like Japanese stuff?

Sorry I couldn't type this in romaji so you could spend hours translating it.I think you completly missed the point of what most of us are worring about. No it doesn't matter that an American company got their hands on it, rather it's the idea that they could use rappers to do the dialog. Rappers are not actors. If you ever go to a video store you will find plenty of straight to video movies made by rappers, and they all suck. They can't act. And they can barley speak. Whenever they don't know what to say they start making up stupid words like "shizzle nizzle" to try and bs their way through it. If MTV hires proffessional actors and makes a serious attempt at doing a good job, then most people will not complain. They can use rap for the soundtrack if they want, but that's it.

If you were a true fan of a series, you'd get it no matter what the condition Maybe, but that doesn't mean you can't hope to recieve it in the best possible condition. Just like if you truly love someone you'd stay with them even if they became a drooling retard, that doesn't mean you can't hope they don't become one.

method
2004-02-06, 02:08
Is this topic still going on with the Volcano high references. ugh.

Just don't watch it and y'all can save some heartache. 4 out of the 6 dvds are already out with the last two coming out in March and May. Since it is coming on MTV2, so you can just pretend it never happened.

DjDeluxay
2004-02-06, 12:41
Wow. MTV won't show music even MORE. Dang i like the idea. But i mean add a station or something. MTV only worries about reality shows, big performances. But they haven't focused on music. i mean on TRL they are showing less and LESS of the music videoos.

but it sounds like an idea

John Desire
2004-02-06, 15:17
I think you completly missed the point of what most of us are worring about. No it doesn't matter that an American company got their hands on it, rather it's the idea that they could use rappers to do the dialog. Rappers are not actors. If you ever go to a video store you will find plenty of straight to video movies made by rappers, and they all suck. They can't act. And they can barley speak. Whenever they don't know what to say they start making up stupid words like "shizzle nizzle" to try and bs their way through it. If MTV hires proffessional actors and makes a serious attempt at doing a good job, then most people will not complain. They can use rap for the soundtrack if they want, but that's it.

Will Smith is a rapper, and he as an actor (a very good one I might add). I can see that you are offended because someone has challenged an opinion you cannot support. Next.

Maybe, but that doesn't mean you can't hope to recieve it in the best possible condition. Just like if you truly love someone you'd stay with them even if they became a drooling retard, that doesn't mean you can't hope they don't become one.

I'm sorry, but it looks like you just approved my point. Sure you don't wish someone to become like that, but then it happens. So! You are telling me you like this movie!

naantje
2004-02-06, 19:13
fo shizzle my nizzle

FinFangFoom
2004-02-06, 19:23
Will Smith is a rapper, and he as an actor (a very good one I might add). I can see that you are offended because someone has challenged an opinion you cannot support. Next.!

Yes Will Smith is a good actor, but that is deffinatly an exception, not a rule.

And yes you are challenging my opinion, which is good since this forum would be boring if everyone felt the same way about everything. I'm not sure how my disagreeing with you meens I'm offended. In fact, anyone who reads your post could easily recognize that your making a serious attempt to offend and start a flame war, the reason I'm not bitting is because I'm not offended. Trust me, if you offended me, it would be very obvious. And I did support my opinion. The fact is that rapping, or singing is a very different talent than acting (or even voice acting). Of course there will be the rare exception that can do both, but it is rare.

I'm sorry, but it looks like you just approved my point. Sure you don't wish someone to become like that, but then it happens. So! You are telling me you like this movie!
O.K, you kind of lost me on this one. Yes, I kind of was agreeing with your point. You said if you truly like something, you'll take it in any form you can get it. I think there is more to it than that, but for the most part you're correct. My point was that even though you may accept it in any form, there is nothing wrong with wanting it in the best possible form.