PDA

View Full Version : Names have meanings? (Tenshi Na Konamaiki)

Lord Raiden
2003-12-03, 16:14
Been picking through the entire Tenshi Na Konamaiki series and I noticed a few things. I guess this is typical in Anime, but at the same time I'm curious of something. Each of the names appear to coralate to a regular word in English. Do any of these names have a meaning and if so, what is it?

Miki
Megumi (I think this means magical, but I'm not sure)
Yasuda
Genzo
Fujiki
Kobayashi (I ask especially about this since they talk about the Kobayashi Maru in Star Trek)

I know there's other names, but I can't remember them right away. Do any of these translate into a regular word or have any significant meaning?

Mcgreag
2003-12-03, 17:54
In most languagues most names have meanings. My own name Olof means "descendant" in old norse speech. The same goes for japanses. But it's a little hard to know exactly what a name means without seeing it written in kanji. Miki for example can be written in maybe 30-50 ways, with maybe 20 different meanings.
But I will try to translate a few of them. Btw Tenshi = "angel" or "heavens child (the emperor)"

Miki = There are so many different meanings here, but one is "Beautiful Princess" and several of them are related to "Truth"
Megumi = again alot of meanings but if you use it as a word and not a name it means "Blessing"
Yasuda = most of the names here end with the kanji for "Rice field"
Genzou = most of the names here end with the kanji for "3"
Fujiki = most names here start with the kanji for "wistaria" (a plant family used for wine)
Kobayashi = just happens to be a very common surname in japan, it means "small forest"

Flash_Squirrel
2003-12-03, 18:02
Since we are there, I have a little question thats bugging me..

What is the meaning of the suffix "-maru"? I know it does mean round; circular; spherical but why is that connected with names? Example "Amidamaru" from Shaman King or "Haohmaru" from SS3 . Is that connected with a social status? I dont think its a suffix for ship names either..

Dorfl
2003-12-03, 18:19
It was a common name suffix for samurai in the past, I believe, and is still used as a fairly common suffix for boys' names. E.g. Shikamaru, Sesshoumaru, Kidoumaru, etc.

Mcgreag
2003-12-03, 19:35
As for the use of Maru in the name of the ship Kobayashi Maru from star trek it should really say Kobayashimaru because it's a suffix used in shipnames meaning ship.

zalas
2003-12-03, 19:38
Been picking through the entire Tenshi Na Konamaiki series and I noticed a few things. I guess this is typical in Anime, but at the same time I'm curious of something. Each of the names appear to coralate to a regular word in English. Do any of these names have a meaning and if so, what is it?

Miki
Megumi (I think this means magical, but I'm not sure)
Yasuda
Genzo
Fujiki
Kobayashi (I ask especially about this since they talk about the Kobayashi Maru in Star Trek)

I know there's other names, but I can't remember them right away. Do any of these translate into a regular word or have any significant meaning?
The "translation" also depends on what meaning the people wanted to give the character. Basically, depending on the creator's mood, they can get vastly different kanji for the same pronunciation. For example, Mitsuki from Full Moon, her kanji first name is normally pronounced mantzuki, which means Full Moon.

Wandering_Youth
2003-12-04, 03:45
If Japanese names are anything like Chinese names then they usually have a meaning to them. For example my Chinese name means rain and it fits me quite well because I love swim and I really like days when it's raining. :)

Lord Raiden
2003-12-04, 11:35
Well, then my nickname (Lord Raiden) would go well with my likes too. :D And no, it's not the MK Rayden. The guy with the built in dynamo on overload mode. :)

My real life first name means Crown. Last name means Large body of Water. So my full name would mean something along the lines of Royal Water. Which fits with my herritage as I'm decended from German Royalty. ^_^

But as far as my nickname goes, that fits with my love of strong storms and severe weather. My motto is, "If it doesn't transplant your house 5 states away, it wasn't a good storm." :eek: :D ;)

Archuka
2003-12-04, 15:44
We studied names at school a couple years ago. The meaning for my full name was "Peace loving warlord" :eyebrow:

Most Scandinavian names are so old that their meaning has been forgotten. I suppose it's a bit different in Japanese.

outlaw55
2003-12-05, 13:28
Heh, I think english is one of the only languages where the names don't stand for stuff in it's own laguage...altho they try to copy and make these bookmarks with names and meaning...

Lord Raiden
2003-12-05, 16:06
Yeah, I guess you're right. So if english did follow how other languages do it, my real name would be of course "Royal Water". ;) Can you imagine signing that as your name? :eek:

zalas
2003-12-06, 06:48
Heh, I think english is one of the only languages where the names don't stand for stuff in it's own laguage...altho they try to copy and make these bookmarks with names and meaning...
Common names in America and England do have meanings behind them, but they're more meaningful because of etymology rather than current use. However, there are names that are words, like June, May, April, Daisy, etc.