PDA

View Full Version : Help me create a VCD, PLZ!!!!

hyperhyde
2003-12-04, 23:23
Does anyone know how to Convert DIVX files to create a VCD?????

I am having trouble burning my anime into VCDs, I really want to watch it on TV

I tried to use NERO to convert the file and make the disc but it doesn't work... Also, the programs out there all force you to pay and register to be able to use.... can someone please give me TIPS on what to do......

Can you suggest which programs to get etc????? please help

Mcgreag
2003-12-05, 04:16
I would recommend TMPGEnc but it is one of those programs that cost (30 days free trail so if you are quick them you might convert them all :-) ). But there are free programs too, bbMPEG is one. For guides etc I recommend you visit www.doom9.org it also has link the the programs.

Oh btw if your dvd-player supports it I would suggest creating SVCD instead of VCD.

Vulkar
2003-12-05, 13:16
This thread may be of help: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=971

Go-lytely
2003-12-05, 14:42
or try www.vcdhelp.com. You lose lots of quality converting to vcd and even svcd isnt as good as the original .avi and you can only fit 35 mins of svcd video on a cd-r. This is why I have two networked computers and one exclusively hooked up to my big screen tv just to watch downloaded shows.

Cz
2003-12-05, 15:23
If you have a standalone DVD player for your TV you can get a cheap DVD burner and burn your show onto DVDs. A rather expensive solution though. :p

Oneesama
2003-12-05, 22:04
Does anyone know how to Convert DIVX files to create a VCD?????

I am having trouble burning my anime into VCDs, I really want to watch it on TV

I tried to use NERO to convert the file and make the disc but it doesn't work... Also, the programs out there all force you to pay and register to be able to use.... can someone please give me TIPS on what to do......

Can you suggest which programs to get etc????? please help

TMPGEnc works pretty good for me~ orelse you can try Nero ^^

Mcgreag
2003-12-05, 22:42
and you can only fit 35 mins of svcd video on a cd-r
What kind of cd-r do you use? 300mb?
Yes 35 min IF you use max bitrate but converting a 600-800 kb/s mpeg-4 to a 2500kb/s mpeg-2 is overkill. You can easily get 50-60min video onto an svcd and still have nice quality. At least if you use a good encoder like TMPGEnc or CCS. Yes of course it will worse quality then the original but the only way it convert it without losing quality is to use a lossless codec. But then even a blu-ray disc wouldn't be large enough to hold the movie.

Evil Chrono
2003-12-07, 01:16
:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

Go-lytely
2003-12-07, 01:41
What kind of cd-r do you use? 300mb?
Yes 35 min IF you use max bitrate but converting a 600-800 kb/s mpeg-4 to a 2500kb/s mpeg-2 is overkill. You can easily get 50-60min video onto an svcd and still have nice quality. At least if you use a good encoder like TMPGEnc or CCS. Yes of course it will worse quality then the original but the only way it convert it without losing quality is to use a lossless codec. But then even a blu-ray disc wouldn't be large enough to hold the movie.

I personally see a difference when using the max bitrate but thats just me. Especially when there is fast on screen motion.

Mcgreag
2003-12-07, 02:54
I personally see a difference when using the max bitrate but thats just me. Especially when there is fast on screen motion.

You will always get compression artifacts. Even with the bitrates you use for dvd (4000-9000kb/s) there are compression artifacts. The question is how much artifacts is ok for you, if the artifacts from a 1600-1800kb/s vbr mpeg-2 is too much for you I can't understand why you download fansubs in the firstplace as a normal fansub have more artifacts (but as they are mpeg-4 instead of mpeg-2 they are a different kind of artifacts, mostly a lot of blurring and loss of color saturation). Also the reason for the conversion was not to store them in svcd instead but to watch it on a tv, and if you watch it on tv then the inherent blurrines and low resolution of the tv will mask most compression artifacts.

Size vs quality is always an issue but saying that you can only store 35min video on an svcd becuse the quality becomes too bad othervice is like saying that a 20min anime ep must be at least 350mb or the quality will be too bad. Of course the larger file will look better but most of the time the quality increase a lot less then the size increase making in not worthwhile.

I have converted hundreds of mpeg-4 fansub eps to svcd too show them with a projector at the local anime club. We have some times connected a computer to it directly instead of converting and connecting the dvd-player and the difference in visible quality is almost always so small it's not worth the trouble (and yes it's a high end projector).

If you want quality you buy the dvd.

Evil Chrono
2003-12-07, 17:41
That is a easy way, but nero latest version allows you to make vcds just by drag and drop and it'l automatically do all the encoding for you.