PDA

View Full Version : Portrayel of Americans in anime and manga

Fronzel
2003-12-08, 01:59
How are Americans portrayed in anime and manga? I wonder because I just finished Now and Then, Here and There, and its Sara is American. It didn't seem like a stereotypical characterization, but maybe it's just justification for her pretty blond hair and fair skin.

I can't recall any more anime Americans off the top of my head...Gunsmith Cats is an interesting case, though; everyone is American!

FMPFaN83
2003-12-08, 04:10
Love Hina, Seta's Daughter was from America

AnimeFangirl
2003-12-08, 04:18
That American guy in Azumanga Daioh (ep 3, I think) was really funny ^__^.

Enragin_Angel
2003-12-08, 04:37
Tina in Ai Yori Aoshi was American. Its pretty funny how they portray Tina as an American in AYA.

Fronzel
2003-12-08, 04:54
How's that?

Enragin_Angel
2003-12-08, 05:21
Well, as you may know, Japanese VAs are terrible at English. And since the character Tina on AYA is supposed to be American, she's supposed to speak English fluently. But when she does speak English she actually speaks in heavy Engrish. Then the other characters say "Hontou ni Amerikajin desu ka?" which means... "Are you REALLY American?" It always cracks me up.

sothis
2003-12-08, 07:09
the american guy in one of the digi charat episodes was hilarious.

plus, the fact that they made all the people in america have real faces, instead of the anime ones. haha

Orchunter226
2003-12-08, 12:25
I think japanese people portray americans weird because they still pissed off we beat the hell out of them in WWII. ;)

Lain
2003-12-08, 13:00
I think japanese people portray americans weird because they still pissed off we beat the hell out of them in WWII. ;)

Which is, of course, why Medal of Honor: Rising sun is selling so great in Japan.

kazusa
2003-12-08, 13:06
Japanese people believe that americans are loud but extremely friendly. I mean friendly by touchy. For some odd reason, Tina very much fits this description. But yeah, Tina is the perfect example of what Japanese people think americans are like. If any Japanese sees a quiet american, I can guarantee you that they'd be surprised.

Whojive
2003-12-08, 15:28
Ping Pong club, the big smelly american jock with the outty belly button. funny stuff

Eikichi
2003-12-08, 16:04
Refer to Kaleido Star, which takes place in the US.

Archuka
2003-12-08, 18:06
I've noticed that most American characters are blonde. Not light brown (for some reason they are often called blonde in English speaking countries), but pure white or yellow. That applies to other Western characters aswell and I find it quite funny. Real blondes are quite rare nowadays and you probably won't meet many outside Scandinavia.

hunterx
2003-12-08, 18:12
that americans are stupid and want to kill them? Well that's the impression I got from akira and the ROD ova (did you see the president? sorta like dubya) and a little less in Patlabor. As for how they portray individual Americans, I haven't seen anything bad.

luckme10
2003-12-08, 18:24
How are Americans portrayed in anime and manga? I wonder because I just finished Now and Then, Here and There, and its Sara is American. It didn't seem like a stereotypical characterization, but maybe it's just justification for her pretty blond hair and fair skin.

I can't recall any more anime Americans off the top of my head...Gunsmith Cats is an interesting case, though; everyone is American!

Americans are portrayed as foolish rash arrogant and comical. When in fact they are the envy of the entire japanese culture thanks to Macarthur
Also they are pissed because we nuked the shit out of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Tina from Ai Yori Aoshi
Sarah from love Hina (not a fool but she has an edge)

I've noticed that most American characters are blonde. Not light brown (for some reason they are often called blonde in English speaking countries), but pure white or yellow. That applies to other Western characters aswell and I find it quite funny. Real blondes are quite rare nowadays and you probably won't meet many outside Scandinavia.

Plenty of blonds over here in southern california.

Japanese people believe that americans are loud but extremely friendly. I mean friendly by touchy. For some odd reason, Tina very much fits this description. But yeah, Tina is the perfect example of what Japanese people think americans are like. If any Japanese sees a quiet american, I can guarantee you that they'd be surprised.
As for loud and friendly..I'm thinking Philadelphians
Although I dunno about that whole groping thing :heh:
I like how one foreginer put it. "America..People good...president bad..."

luckme10
2003-12-08, 18:26
double post please remove

El Diablo
2003-12-08, 19:11
I preferred the way they portrayed the english in Hellsing. Yes, i'm a devout protestant[/sarcasm] Although, the dub of hellsing was even funnier, i LOVED the queens english accents, i've never heard them properly, since nobody has one.

Koshiba
2003-12-08, 19:23
What about the american in Blue Seed? :D I can't remember her name but she cracked me up with how she cussed a lot.

Go-lytely
2003-12-08, 21:29
What about the Hollywood episode of Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai. That was the ultimate parody of American filmmaking. I died laughing when the Hotdog stand guy was talking and he used the word fuck about a 100 times.

Kurara
2003-12-08, 21:56

Yeah ^_^;; I agree with you..
There's a lot of stereotypes about Americans, and I always find it really funny. Like everyone said, they always draw American women as tall blondes with a "mature" and sexy look with small eyes and longer noses.. Also they always draw men either really stupid looking or really big and muscular with barely apparent eyes and huge noses.. :P

Kawaii_Sennin
2003-12-09, 00:17
Sakuranbo(not sure) from Da Capo was American. She was the first Amercan that wasn't portrayed too negatively.

Kempis Curious
2003-12-09, 01:42
the american guy in one of the digi charat episodes was hilarious.

plus, the fact that they made all the people in america have real faces, instead of the anime ones. haha

I missed where the American was first portrayed in Digi Charat, I only saw him in the Movie... DeJEEEEKo-chan!!! ^_^

The big-nose thing is fairly annoying, especially when it's portrayed as a long, triangular beak. (Seen that in Kodocha and recently in Daa Daa Daa.)

I don't think the American in Ping Pong Club was being racially stereotyped with the very long and nasty "outie" belly-button... I'm guessing that was just a gag particular to the character. I know the stinky, pale, muscular, hairy, blonde body was a racial joke though. :D

A recent jab at Americans as being all overweight was made in Battle Programmer... we're not ALL overweight, just most of us. :upset:

-k

Koshiba
2003-12-09, 04:06
Oh. How could I forget Michael (I probably spelt that wrong.. >_>; ) from the Marmalade Boy anime! The japanese fanboy who learned perfect japanese from watching samurai movies. :P

In anime the americans usually cuss a lot and seem to have no shame when it comes to kissing or molesting someone. xD Although there are times when the stereotype is quite accurate. ^^; I love the stereotypical americans in anime usually though. They tend to be quite hilarious. xD

Enragin_Angel
2003-12-09, 05:44
If anyone's ever seen GTO(Great Teacher Onizuka), he's supposed to be a 2nd-rate teacher that teaches children that education is important and fun etc... So he works with the worst of the worst classes in this one Japanese middle school. And at the end of the series...after he's won over the hearts and minds of the worst japanese middle school children he decides to move on to America where he faces the worst children of all...california high school students lol. So yea...there's another portrayal of Americans for you.

Orchunter226
2003-12-09, 13:19
In most of the animes I whatch they never really show americans. Hmm is Digi-mon considered anime, if it is, i remember that they went to america and there were no bad stereotypes.

Japanese people have an inferiority complex and watch our president way too much cuz he is an ass. That reason why they have so many stereotypes. About the school thing though, it is true american schools are horrible, just last week there were 26 fights in my high school. But i cant blame them for feeling envious, they started a fight and got there ass kicked.

Mr. Bushido
2003-12-09, 13:38
In most of the animes I whatch they never really show americans. Hmm is Digi-mon considered anime, if it is, i remember that they went to america and there were no bad stereotypes.

Japanese people have an inferiority complex and watch our president way too much cuz he is an ass. That reason why they have so many stereotypes. About the school thing though, it is true american schools are horrible, just last week there were 26 fights in my high school. But i cant blame them for feeling envious, they started a fight and got there ass kicked.

of course... since japan had no resources... and wasnt an industrial power house like america. As MANY war experts say "America did not WIN the war as much as OUT PRODUCE them" Japan was able to prodce about 14 carriers during the whole war.... while america made 40? The mitsubishi Zeros were the best fighters in the whole war, but faced against 10 times as much dauntless bombers, the zeros couldnt shoot them down well enough. Because the US had access to the Atlantic and the Pacific. of course... US was such a powerful country back than werent they?

Of course Japan buys steel from us, makes it to cars and sells it back for 10 times the amount they bougth the steel for. Because america no longer has a tv company, and japanese 8th graders are better math students than high school juniors in America. Im sure they feel very inferior. g2g, im in school

Vulkar
2003-12-09, 14:01
Lol Zoro. You like to lay bait for flame wars, don't you?

This an entertaining thread though. Keep giving more examples of shows. I'll have to write down the names of the most amusing sounding ones so I can watch them. The one with the swearing hot dog stand guy someone mentioned earlier sounded hilarious.

Koshiba
2003-12-09, 17:59
Oh and what about "Mr. K" from Gravitation? Trigger happy guy. :P

Eikichi
2003-12-09, 18:27
of course... since japan had no resources... and wasnt an industrial power house like america. As MANY war experts say "America did not WIN the war as much as OUT PRODUCE them" Japan was able to prodce about 14 carriers during the whole war.... while america made 40? The mitsubishi Zeros were the best fighters in the whole war, but faced against 10 times as much dauntless bombers, the zeros couldnt shoot them down well enough. Because the US had access to the Atlantic and the Pacific. of course... US was such a powerful country back than werent they?

Of course Japan buys steel from us, makes it to cars and sells it back for 10 times the amount they bougth the steel for. Because america no longer has a tv company, and japanese 8th graders are better math students than high school juniors in America. Im sure they feel very inferior. g2g, im in school

*takes the bait* :)

While maybe not an inferiority complex (arguable), it would be a lie to say that Japanese people donít have an infatuation with Americans and American Pop culture.

hunterx
2003-12-09, 18:53

While maybe not an inferiority complex (arguable), it would be a lie to say that Japanese people donít have an infatuation with Americans and American Pop culture.

no they have a superiority complex, the problem is they are not that superior. it was the same complex that drove the germans to do what they did and the japanese to do what they did. Eventually they were blow down to where they belonged. As for arguing about technological superiority, there is no doubt which side has it. It's not even worth arguing.

luckme10
2003-12-09, 19:43

Japanese people have little man's syndrome.

oh and zoro ....cry me a river...america won the war....

Mr. Bushido
2003-12-09, 19:47
Lol Zoro. You like to lay bait for flame wars, don't you?

no some ppl just think they know so much but they dont. I mean... who is he to say wat the japanese are thinking. Its like that one British guy who wrote a book "Koreans: Who they are, What they want, and what their Future is" i mean... wtf!? the frst thin i said was "ure british so who are you to say those things about koreans u asshole" No i dont like flame wars, i like a good debate tho. Its not like i like to argue, but when u debate u learn more. Flamers are ppl who like to say shit online cuz they're 12 yr old kids who get picked on everyday.

*takes the bait*

sooo... because they love the americans so much they make fun of them? And wat kinda idiot feels inferior to another race? The japanese are not the satellite states of Soviet Union who all wanted to be Russian. They like American culture of course.... but if u put it TAT way then it would be a BIGGER lie to say that the americans are not obsessed with japanese technology. LIke i said, America doesnt even have a TV company anymore.

no they have a superiority complex, the problem is they are not that superior. it was the same complex that drove the germans to do what they did and the japanese to do what they did. Eventually they were blow down to where they belonged. As for arguing about technological superiority, there is no doubt which side has it. It's not even worth arguing.

no no no, they HAD a superiority complex during ww2. its racist to say that they still do. I can easily say the same about the white ppl because of imperlialism. I think the Japanese learned their lesson in ww2.

with suits that makes them semi invisible.... i doubt they feel inferior.

oh and zoro ....cry me a river...america won the war....

read my post carefully, did i say NO NO THEY SHOULDVE WON THEY SHOULDVE WON! noooo.... i gave reasons why the japanese WOULD NOT feel inferior to the americans. Duh? do u read and think, or do you read and complain? I doubt anyone would feel inferior if the only reason why u lost is because u didnt have enough toys. I mean would u say "i suck at snow fighting" when ure side had nothing but mud?

anyways: on topic now.

i wanted to say this b4 the bell rang... damn it. Anyways: If youre complaining about japanese anime's stereotyping americans and other westerners, u should watch an american cartoon somtimes. Even disney likes to stereotype. Every character in Mulan had no eyes... come on!

The japanese do not stereotype americans ppl... cuz american isnt just the white ppl. have u guys thought about that before u went on saying all these? There are asian americans, hispanic americans, etc etc.

the sergeant from Full metal Panic (forgot name... DAMN!) she's a chinese american from the marines. Shes a loud and obnoxious, yet mature woman.
You should stop and think for awhile.... now look for all the characters raised in America even if they are japanese, AND compare. Remember there are Japanese Americans too.

luckme10
2003-12-09, 19:50
The japanese do not stereotype americans ppl... cuz american isnt just the white ppl. have u guys thought about that before u went on saying all these? There are asian americans, hispanic americans, etc etc.

the sergeant from Full metal Panic (forgot name... DAMN!) she's a chinese american from the marines. Shes a loud and obnoxious, yet mature woman.
You should stop and think for awhile.... now look for all the characters raised in America even if they are japanese, AND compare. Remember there are Japanese Americans too.

Yeah WELL WE LIKE TO BASH THEM TOO AHAHAHAHA. I like to think of myself as an equal opportunity racist...can't leave a single one out.
P.s hizpanics are short too.

Mr. Bushido
2003-12-09, 19:52
i edited my post just for u luckme10. I quoted ur "they won the war" thing. read carefully, than stop, think, AND THEN right a response.

luckme10
2003-12-09, 19:55
i edited my post just for u luckme10. I quoted ur "they won the war" thing. read carefully, than stop, think, AND THEN right a response.

okie okie i'll rewrite this just for you.... AMERICA WON THE WAR>>>WE WROTE UP A JAPANESE CONSTITIUTION IN OUR SELF IMAGE>>>>>THAT IS WHY JAPAN ENVIES US>>>>AND YES AMERICA WON THE WAR>>>IF IT WASN"T FOR US>>>BRITIAN WOULD HAVE BEEN BOMBED TO DEATH AND THE JAPS WOULD HAVE RAPED NANKING ooh wait nvm that happened...
if you don't have the stuff don't make the fuss
Don't give me any of this oh we were outnumbered crap but our men were stronger one a 1:1 ratio.....

Mr. Bushido
2003-12-09, 20:08
AMERICA WON THE WAR! you got a problem with that? AND WE CAN THANK YOU FOR ATTACKING PEARL HARBOR and thus triggering OUR PROCLAIMED INVOLVEMENT

im not japanese. im korean american. So STFU. IF ANYONE is to hate the japanese, it would be a korean american or a chinese american, so b4 u go on saying horse shit, know about the person ure talking to.

BESIDES... u DO know rooselvelt purposely attracted the attack on pearl harbor so he can fight hitler. Please... how old are you? Take AP US or take US history from college. you could learn something.

okie okie i'll rewrite this just for you.... AMERICA WON THE WAR>>>WE WROTE UP A JAPANESE CONSTITIUTION IN OUR SELF IMAGE>>>>>THAT IS WHY JAPAN ENVIES US>>>>AND YES AMERICA WON THE WAR>>>IF IT WASN"T FOR US>>>BRITIAN WOULD HAVE BEEN BOMBED TO DEATH AND THE JAPS WOULD HAVE RAPED NANKING ooh wait nvm that happened...
Don't give me any of this oh we were outnumbered crap but our men were stronger one a 1:1 ratio.....

i love this kid, he doesnt know half the thing hes saying.

WHo ever said the japanese liked american occupation and the new constitution??? did u interview each individual japanese person?

the US constitution is a copy of the british and Iroquoi's constittution. Do we envy them??? No we killed one, we make fun of the other. Our national anthem is a copy of the british anthem with different lyrics. Dont talk as if America is the almighty, superior country of the world. We lost in Vietnam and Korea.

No, the ROyal air force defended itself perfectly. America came into the war AFTER yea say that again... AFTER the battle of britain. England hasnt been invaded since 1066..... so dont underestimate.

should i say it again? IM KOREAN AMERICAN <Needless and insulting remarks removed>.

and u say WE as in u were there. u werent even <Needless and insulting remarks removed> in ww2, so stop talking like it.

As i said again: READ AND THINK.

luckme10
2003-12-09, 20:54
im not japanese. im korean american. So STFU. IF ANYONE is to hate the japanese, it would be a korean american or a chinese american, so b4 u go on saying horse shit, know about the person ure talking to.

BESIDES... u DO know rooselvelt purposely attracted the attack on pearl harbor so he can fight hitler. Please... how old are you? Take AP US or take US history from college. you could learn something.

i love this kid, he doesnt know half the thing hes saying.

WHo ever said the japanese liked american occupation and the new constitution??? did u interview each individual japanese person?

the US constitution is a copy of the british and Iroquoi's constittution. Do we envy them??? No we killed one, we make fun of the other. Our national anthem is a copy of the british anthem with different lyrics. Dont talk as if America is the almighty, superior country of the world. We lost in Vietnam and Korea.

No, the ROyal air force defended itself perfectly. America came into the war AFTER yea say that again... AFTER the battle of britain. England hasnt been invaded since 1066..... so dont underestimate.

should i say it again? IM KOREAN AMERICAN STUPID SHIT.

and u say WE as in u were there. u werent even a bit of shit in ww2, so stop talking like it.

As i said again: READ AND THINK.
NO ONE LIKES OCCUPATION! You think people like being told they're whole sense of lifestyle is wrong? Of course not! Its molding the future....
As for the US And britian.. THEY wouldn't have been able to hold their grounds if we didnt' have our involvement (and I don't just mean offical) in the war PERIOD!
THEY ATTACKED THE US PREEMPTIVELY DON"T GIVE ME ANYOF THAT LIBERAL BULLSHIT DAMN COMMUNIST
as for your personal roll that gives you the right to mock the us...
Ah korean..Japanese...what's the difference...
oh wait nvm YOU GUYS MAKE SHITTY CARS AND TALK ABOUT PULLING YOUR ASS! IF IT WASN"T FOR US S. KOREA WOULDN"T BE THE ECONOMICAL POWERHOUSE IT IS TODAY. SO SHUT UP YOU UNGRATEFUL BIACH. AND YOUR WOULD BE OVERRUN BY ALL THOSE COMMYS! IF YOUR IN AMERICA WHY DON"T YOU GO BACK TO THE COUNTRY YOU LOVE SO MUCH>>> LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT! ok i said it now go back to your starcraft
<Needless and insulting remarks removed>

NightWish
2003-12-09, 21:03
Ugh~ When did this get de-railed? Time to close it I think. It is going (gone?) down hill fast and needs some time to cool off.

Let me just remind some of you that, no matter what the provocation, we do NOT accept flaming or insulting posts on this forum. Like wise those who insist on inciting others to flame will have their access to the forum revoked. Please be considerate of others; if you can't do that or the topic is too hot for you to post in a rational and measured manner -- do NOT post.