PDA

View Full Version : Best sub groups

KenshinAGoGoBaby
2004-11-12, 16:10
I was just wondering but which sub groups would you recommend as the best? I was thinking of going with Anime-Keep (1-19) followed by Anime-Kraze for the rest. Any other suggestions?

koei
2004-11-12, 16:32
Anime-Keep hasn't dropped Monster. We're just behind.

NoSanninWa
2004-11-12, 16:49
Anime-Keep is not only slower, they also aren't as good.

In my opinion, the two best groups doing Monster are Soldats and Anime-Kraze. They both beat out ToTan and Keep, but I can't make up my mind which is better. I keep downloading alternate episodes from each as I try to decide which one is superior. This opinion has nothing to do with speed as I frequently watch slower groups when I like their subs better.

It is actually really weird that those groups are so quick with Monster because they are both known for being slow with every other show.

hooliganj
2004-11-12, 17:06
They're both a little slow with Monster, too, it's just that they're so far ahead of anyone else, and there are no speed-sub groups working on it.

hitokirigirl
2004-11-12, 17:22
yeah, both soldats and anikraze are good.....
soldats is probably better just about the fonts they use, but since eps 21 i'm only dling anikraze version

NoSanninWa
2004-11-12, 18:05
They're both a little slow with Monster, too, it's just that they're so far ahead of anyone else, and there are no speed-sub groups working on it.
Not being a real Naruto fan I think that only 1 or 2 weeks behind the raw is really fast!

These groups are known for being slow! Especially Soldats. That means well over a month behind the raws. In soldats case perhaps 6 months behind the raws. ;) That's why I'm so astonished to see them maintaining such speed without loosing their expected level of quality.

Griffith
2004-11-12, 19:31
I've been getting them from Anime-Kraze, based on the high quality of their work on other shows. That said, I'm sure Soldats' version is good too, but Anime-Kraze is just a bit faster without sacrificing quality, which is a winning combination for me. :)

Fighter Volk
2004-11-12, 22:01
I started out with ToTan, because I liked their font and ending credits the most, but since episode 16 or so I've been alternating between Soldats and Anime Kraze. My most recent stuff has been Anime Kraze however, not only because they've been releasing a little faster (seeing as Monster is a hard series to wait for), but also because I owe them lots of devotion for other amazing jobs on series they've done in the past.

But yeah, Soldats and Kraze are both great.

KenshinAGoGoBaby
2004-11-13, 01:44
Hmm... I like Anime Keep for their work on FMA which I enjoyed (and still AM enjoying, HAH!). For later eps I'm leaning to either Soldats or Anime-Kraze.

Nothing against Anime-Kraze but Paranoia Agent was one of the single most CRAPPY animes I've ever seen and so I kind of associate this bad schema against them. Not that the subbing was bad but suuuuueey, that anime sucked some major-league ass. After episode 7 it's like the people making the show all did drugs, and the suckage level just went through the roof.

hooliganj
2004-11-13, 03:25
Not being a real Naruto fan I think that only 1 or 2 weeks behind the raw is really fast!

These groups are known for being slow! Especially Soldats. That means well over a month behind the raws. In soldats case perhaps 6 months behind the raws. ;) That's why I'm so astonished to see them maintaining such speed without loosing their expected level of quality.
Heh, I know what you mean. After all, I was trying to watch Detective Academy Q until they got so far behind that I just gave up and moved on. But most shows that have any kind of following seem to get in within a week of the air date, so I consider the 1-2 weeks that Monster has been taking to be a little slow, but totally acceptable. After all, I've read the manga, so the suspense isn't killing me. :D

Trax
2004-11-13, 13:56
I've only seen episodes by AnimeKraze myself, that's what I started out with. And it looked fine to me so didn't feel the urge to try another. :)

Vide
2004-11-14, 10:50
I watched Soldats in the start, but have recently started watching Ani-Kraze, and they are not bad at all.

dew
2004-11-14, 11:06
Yeah, for the first 20 or so episodes I went with Soldats, then I decided that Soldats quality wasn't good enough to stop me from switching to A-Kraze who was like 2 episodes ahead.

mika163
2004-11-16, 03:38
i started off with either keep or kraze (forgot) and then they fell so far behind that i switched to sodats and have been with them since. didn't know about their "slow and steady" reputation but as a leecher, can't complain too much since it is free.

runpsicat
2004-11-16, 09:47
By now, I think this thread has succeeded in making the timeworn point yet again that individuals have different criteria in mind as to what qualities the "best" sub/group must have. :)

Crowley
2004-11-16, 11:34
That's right, but Kraze is still the best. ;)

the-1
2004-11-16, 13:16
i like soldats. i like their fonts (big and bold), and there releases are pretty quick for this anime.

NoSanninWa
2004-11-16, 17:20
In my opinion, the two best groups doing Monster are Soldats and Anime-Kraze. They both beat out ToTan and Keep, but I can't make up my mind which is better. I keep downloading alternate episodes from each as I try to decide which one is superior. This opinion has nothing to do with speed as I frequently watch slower groups when I like their subs better.
After much consideration I have finally decided that the Soldats version is better than Anime-Kraze. It was a close call though. In the end it came to the inspector's name. I prefer Soldats' use of "Lunge" to AKraze's "Runge"

The two groups are just that close together in overall quality.

hooliganj
2004-11-16, 18:34
I don't buy the argment that 'Runge' is a real German name, and therefor must be correct, but there was a scene in one episode where he hands his business card over, and it can be clearly read on the screen - 'Runge'. So it appears the spelling I've been using all this time was wrong. I blame it on the guys who did the manga Scanlations, who went through all 18 volumes with 'Lunge'.

Because they're so close, I watch whichever comes out first, which lately has been A-Kraze.

avmoghe
2004-11-16, 19:44
I pick soldats as well. Part of is due to soldats using Lunge. Not only does it sound better, its what the author himself uses it. It would be nice to have the same spelling in my anime and the manga which I will be reading later.

Other than that, Kraze and soldats are both good releases. I get whatever comes out first. Haven't seen much of Akeep and Totan so I can't compare there.

runpsicat
2004-11-16, 21:09
Oh God, not the name spellings again...

The anime has already "deviated" from the original author's "intentions" (Lunge<->Runge; Brown <-> Braun), so my condolences to all of those who hold the author's perceived intentions so dear. If you truly revere the author and abhor third-party attempts to interpret/render his intentions (this includes foreign licensing companies, and now apparently domestic animation producers as well), it seems the only way to avoid self-damnation is if you learn Japanese and read the original work since that is the only pristine version of the author's work.

I truly hope people pick whichever version based on something more than mere name spelling, which has already proven itself to be inconsistently implemented by the animation producers. I know people have indicated other factors for their choice, regardless of the group in question, but it just mystifies me that name spellings seem to be one of the few concrete reasons of any substance (I personally don't consider the speed/reputation factor to be of much significance) given as to why someone chose that particular version.

If anyone could be so kind as to give specific, constructive feedback, other than name spellings, it'd be greatly appreciated (if it'd be off-topic in this thread, please feel free to forum pm me)? :)

NoSanninWa
2004-11-17, 01:45
Yeeeep! I didn't realize it would upset you so much. When I mentioned the name issue, I only meant that both Kraze and Soldats are so high quality that I couldn't choose between them so I am following the group whose name choices suit my personal preference.

Crowley
2004-11-17, 03:01
She's touchy on the issue, mostly because certain people make an issue of it when it's just a name.
I don't buy the argment that 'Runge' is a real German name, and therefor must be correct,[...]Because of the japanese l/r mess, both would normally be perfectly valid interpretations of the name, but since in reality one really is a name in use in Germany, and the other has gone to disuse, the logical choice would be the one that is an actual name. Any research done will find "Runge" to be much more common. There's nothing not to buy. If either choices are phonetically equal, but one has factual data to support its use, that one gets used.
In addition, "Lunge" is a word with meanings of its own in both english and german, while "Runge" is not a word, only a name; the better choice would be the one that does not add any connotations which are extraneous to the story.
As for whichever suits personal preference, individual personal preference is of no consequence. Preferences vary widely, and often have no basis in reality anyways.
Of course, none of these facts matter, since it does come down to personal preference in the end anyways.

Yes, I can be touchy on the issue too.

Ri_
2004-11-17, 04:14
I'm surprised noone has debated yet whether to write Johan with one or two n's... because Johann the common version in Germany.

Crowley
2004-11-17, 04:35
There's a reason why it's "Johan" but it'd involve spoilers to explain. And we have spoiler tags....
Johan isn't German, and the the person who named Johan had a very specific reason for naming him Johan (which wasn't German in origin), so he wouldn't have the German spelling.

BonBon
2004-11-17, 09:12
I think that being so far ahead of the other groups and yet being of a good enough quality that you wouldn't desire another version has given A-Kraze a clear advantage. I tried all the different versions, and enjoyed them all - though ToTan's translations sometimes seemed somewhat simplified (ooh, nifty alliteration!).

Anyway, as for Lunge/Runge - I don't know, I tend to just scan them as the way the Japanese pronounce it, since that's what the seiyuu are saying. It's not authentic to the German, but then 'Dokkutaa Tenma' is hardly perfect, but I'm quite used to that. It's like the Mytho/Mute think in Princess Tutu never bothered me because I always just scanned it as 'Myuuto'

-BonBon

Bakuretsu-kun
2004-11-24, 10:20
hmm, back to the original topic, I went with Soldats first, but checking other sources I saw anikraze was faster. Soldats tends to release their torrents in bunches (like one month per 3 episodes) so I went with anikraze just because they are faster (subbing is more/less as good as soldats)

Hamza
2005-01-04, 23:13
I couldn't care less if the name spelling was done either way....
Soldats is a reliable fansub group. they have been around for a while and their subbing on Hajime no Ippo was amazing.
A-kraze is great as well and they do a good job. Maybe not as good is soldats, but they are getting there. Soldats pick of colors especially show their attention to detail. You don't want to look at a white text on a bright sunny day, do you?

On the side note: I just stared watching monster 3 weeks ago, and I have to say, I was dissappointed I had missed this series for so long. I have been looking for a good series to follow after CC, FMA, WHR, and looks like monster has greatness in it.