PDA

View Full Version : Most realistic Gundam series?

TrueKnight
2004-12-03, 06:15
I'm talking about the gundam series which consist the most detailed and realistic moves, astro-physics, guns and arsenals, boosters, armors, sabers and pilots.

For me it's none other than Gundam 0083 : Operation Stardust :
- Leet and superbly detailed animation, also the moves of the gundams considering the boosters movements and astro-physics are realistic enough, bullets from machines guns from their heads actually comes off and show-able. Sabers actually capable of knocking out shields with a single blow. Depending the quality of the shield.
- Pilots are old enough to be actually CALLED pilots, just like in real-life the United States Air Force or the Royal Australian Air Force or stuffs like that. Also Around early 20s or so or even their 30s or 40s, not some tenage kids that just hits puberty have angts plus heroics personality.
- Not some type "One Gundam could annihilate a whole Mobile Suits army", god I hate that, Gundam Seed starts off good in the TV series considering how hard it was to take down one Mobile Suit or mobile armour, but in the end they made it like Gundam Wing and many other Gundam where one Gundam is all so powerfull.
- Story in Stardust needs to be worked out a bit.

This is imo the most detailed Gundam series that were ever made.

dreamless
2004-12-03, 06:18
most realistic? I'd say 08th MS Team and 0080 War in the Pocket. 0083 is made by a bunch of military otakus, so the mechanics are very detailed and very cool, however the showdown is more like cool and flashy rather than realistic IMO...

jonli
2004-12-03, 08:52
08th MS team, 0079 (if you don't include all that Newtype stuff), 0083 and 0080.

srb
2004-12-03, 15:10
No super MS?

Umm, ok... Did you somehow miss Dendrobium and Neue Ziel?

ZeusIrae
2004-12-03, 15:32
Realism is a very,very relative thing in gundam.I wonder if the concept even exist.

Senien
2004-12-03, 16:02
I'd say 08th MS team is about as close as you get to realism with Gundam.

pyu
2004-12-03, 16:22
The whole idea of a mobile suit is not that realistic relative to our own level of technology in the first place. Do you have any idea how difficult is it to create a bipedal robot that walks in a straight line in the first place? ;)

Blaat
2004-12-03, 16:24
I think only 0080 and 08th MS Team are realistic. Everything else aren't...some closer to reality , some obviously don't.

_Riku_
2004-12-03, 19:51
how about

Gundam.... no we can't have the gundam so it would've been

just .....

Gundam isn't supposed to be realistic...A huge super robot with a lightsaber that pwns 2144234234 grunt suits....realistic ?

well I've only seen Gudam X,W , SEED and Destiny (the released eps so far) but maybe there is another Gundam serie without gundams and MS's then it might be realistic

TrueKnight
2004-12-03, 23:14
Realism is a very,very relative thing in gundam. I wonder if the concept even exist.

lol, Ugh, come on, -_-;

90 % of most animes are fictions to begin with, and Gundam is no exception. But at least there are some of them who could connect into most realism real life. Who knows about 200 years into the future.

The people at the 1800's said it to be imposibleand laughts at it to have something float in or even fly in the air, but the Wright brothers have prove it otherwise lol, and now we live in the digital age where air transportation is a common thing. So who knows :)
Bipedal robots maybe are nonsense now, but I think in the robot convention in Japan around 5 months back or so, where the Japanese (Toyota??) had demonstrated the robot that could dance and run, even if it's like an idiot running, but they're getting into it. The best perfrence is probably i-Robot. Although it's probably Hollywoodnized but its showing something that could actually happens in 2030s.

hmm dunno about the War in the Pocket though, the story about McKenzie and the blonde guy is kinda "goofy", but the 08th MS is kinda realistic though, dunno maybe I've been into many on tanks and fighter aircrafts, that I've fallen in love with the 0083.

Varisha
2004-12-03, 23:24
I think the most realistic series is probably 0080, because nothing in it is really "ub3r," and because it is so 'down to earth'. I see what people are saying about 8th , too, tho.

Mr_Paper
2004-12-04, 02:13
Heh.

When the original Gundam was first coming airing, Yoshiyuki Tomino was quoted and hailed for saying that the show was supposed to be a realistic and accurate portrail of how robots could be used in combat and war. Shortly after, episode four aired with the Gundam unit weilding the Gundam Hammer which defied all physics and trashed all elements of realism in the series. When questioned about the Gundam Hammer his response was simple, "Hey, it's just a TV show."

After that, I'm pretty sure nothing in the Gundam universe would be considered completely realistic. ^^;

Halie
2004-12-04, 02:17
acualy I remember hearing about a show that was the pre-qual to the origanal gundam..its all about the colonies..can`t for the life of me remember the name tho..I`ll look for it

dreamless
2004-12-04, 02:40
well, the topic here is not completely realistic, but most realistic, so I guess it's just a relative comparison ;)

kuroitatsu
2004-12-04, 17:26
Well raw pilot recruits are pretty young, in about their mid 20's because there right out of college. and this is realism in reletive terms right? because if it is then it is gundam 0083

brightman
2004-12-04, 17:38
Well raw pilot recruits are pretty young, in about their mid 20's because there right out of college. and this is realism in reletive terms right? because if it is then it is gundam 0083

Kou is 19... So not really. If people want to use age to determine realism then 0080 (main Gundam pilot is 21) and 08th MS Team (main Gundam pilot is 24) would be more so...

But then again, both 08th MS Team and 0080 contains a bit of character slapstick action that seems a bit unrealistic. So while the mecha combat's pretty down to Earth, Al and Kiki's antics might lower that bar a little toward the unrealistic side...

Blaat
2004-12-04, 18:20
A realistic Gundam is a Gundam where the Gundam doesn't get damaged by only other Gundams nor Mobile Suits piloted by an important character, nor will the Gundam 't be piloted by a gifted kid. Furthermore there will be no special powers, no uber super saiya-jin like modes, no shouting out attacks, no unrealistic Science Fiction devices (this excludes the mechas) and there's also a possibility that main character actually dies instead of making all the way until the end.

That Gundam however doesn't exist, nor will it ever. :)

kuroitatsu
2004-12-04, 20:09
well i dont think gundam is exactly realistic either so it is kind of hard to say what is or is not realistic in this kind of series. If it was based on things like A-10s and M1A1s or anything that is tangible to the real world it would be easier to reference it to reality

F!reStr!fe
2004-12-05, 01:44
Has to be 08th MS team iMO

Esper 28
2004-12-05, 12:00
G Gundam...obviously.

Panon
2004-12-05, 20:04
A realistic Gundam is a Gundam where the Gundam doesn't get damaged by only other Gundams nor Mobile Suits piloted by an important character, nor will the Gundam 't be piloted by a gifted kid. Furthermore there will be no special powers, no uber super saiya-jin like modes, no shouting out attacks, no unrealistic Science Fiction devices (this excludes the mechas) and there's also a possibility that main character actually dies instead of making all the way until the end.

That Gundam however doesn't exist, nor will it ever. :)

I guess you haven't watched 08th MS Team then.

chibikit
2004-12-05, 20:26
G Gundam...obviously.
I second that. *tries to keep a straight face*

A realistic Gundam is a Gundam where the Gundam doesn't get damaged by only other Gundams nor Mobile Suits piloted by an important character

A hallmark of Gundam Wing and G Gundam.

, nor will the Gundam 't be piloted by a gifted kid.

Characteristic of MSG, Zeta and Victory only.

Zeta's Camille did have some experience with the Mk II control system thanks to him using his father's work for his science competition. This is not shown in the show, though, so it's debatable.

ZZ 's Judau definitely has some experience in worker pods, so this would be extension of experience

The Wing boys must have had training prior to Operation Meteor.

Turn A's Rolan might have received some MS training as part of his preparation for his mission, making him piloting Turn A not due to prodigious talent but extension of experience.

SEED's Kira worked for his professor on some kind of cybernetic control system project (see SEED episode 1), which was in turn used by Morgenroete in the development of the GAT series. Again this is extension of experience).

Furthermore there will be no special powers, no uber super saiya-jin like modes, no shouting out attacks

This is really only applicable to G Gundam.

no unrealistic Science Fiction devices (this excludes the mechas)

It should exclude all technology, really because the most primitive Gundam universe (SEED) is probably 100-200 years ahead of us, as evidenced by their routine space travel and reliance on nuclear fission. But if you want to exclude all mechas, I suppose this would rule out any Gundam with superweapons - MSG for the Solar Ray and Solar Flare systems, Zeta for the Colony Laser, Victory for the Angel Halo, 0083 for Solar Flare Two, Wing for the Libra space fortress and SEED for CYCLOPS and GENESIS.

and there's also a possibility that main character actually dies instead of making all the way until the end.

This rules out G Gundam and Wing only.

So, to sum it up, the following Gundam shows do not fit Blaat's realism requirements:

MSG, 0083, Zeta, Victory, G, Wing, SEED

leaving only:

0080, 08th, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, X, Turn A.

So that's six 'realistic' series that have been made. :P

I'd rule out Turn A and X for their post-apocalyptic worlds, though, so take your pick from 0080, 08th MS Team, ZZ Gundam and Char's Counterattack for 'most realistic Gundam'. I vote for 0080.

Blaat
2004-12-06, 03:04
I guess you haven't watched 08th MS Team then.

I have, three times actually :p

A hallmark of Gundam Wing and G Gundam.

Actually it happens in all Gundams, I did include "mobile suit piloted by an important character" I seem to recall that happening in both UC Gundams and AU Gundams such as SEED.

Characteristic of MSG, Zeta and Victory only.

Actually didn't Uso have a simulator in at his home, hence him being a good pilot. But let's face it a 13 year old (in Uso's case) and 16 year olds beating the crap out of most experienced pilots is not realistic in my book, no matter how many "prior experiences" they have in simulators or pods.

This is really only applicable to G Gundam.

Not really, with specials powers I was refering to Newtypes, with uber super saiyajin like modes I was refering to SEED mode and shouting attacks was G allright and kind of SEED as well mainly because they tend to show off their weapons right in the middle of a battle :heh:

It should exclude all technology, really because the most primitive Gundam universe (SEED) is probably 100-200 years ahead of us, as evidenced by their routine space travel and reliance on nuclear fission. But if you want to exclude all mechas, I suppose this would rule out any Gundam with superweapons - MSG for the Solar Ray and Solar Flare systems, Zeta for the Colony Laser, Victory for the Angel Halo, 0083 for Solar Flare Two, Wing for the Libra space fortress and SEED for CYCLOPS and GENESIS.

I was simply refering to technology that's simply not that doable no matter how far into the future we are e.g. "N-jammers", "Wings of Light" plus all those superweapons.
Also I believe U.C.0079 is also 100-200 years ahead of us.

This rules out G Gundam and Wing only.

Uhm not really so far the only main character that actually died is Amuro, so yeah everyone else survives no matter how bad the war is :heh:

I'd rule out Turn A and X for their post-apocalyptic worlds, though, so take your pick from 0080, 08th MS Team, ZZ Gundam and Char's Counterattack for 'most realistic Gundam'. I vote for 0080.

Technically speaking no shows fits in my requirements because the main character didn't die in neither 0080 and 08th, so...so far its none :D

chibikit
2004-12-06, 04:57
Actually it happens in all Gundams, I did include "mobile suit piloted by an important character" I seem to recall that happening in both UC Gundams and AU Gundams such as SEED.

When someone blows up a Gundam in combat or something else that significant in impact, he becomes an important character by definition. If we want to use your definition, there won't be any realistic fictional story in existence at all, because fiction writing doesn't work that way. Keeping this in mind, therefore, I only count Wing and G because the exclusiveness of Gundam damaging ability is very much limited to main characters in them, unlike the others.

Actually didn't Uso have a simulator in at his home, hence him being a good pilot. But let's face it a 13 year old (in Uso's case) and 16 year olds beating the crap out of most experienced pilots is not realistic in my book, no matter how many "prior experiences" they have in simulators or pods.

Oh, yeah, he did. Thanks for reminding me.

Are you saying, therefore, that no matter how well trained or actually experienced a young person is, he can never defeat someone who is older? I'm sorry, but that's not the way the real world works and, in any debate about the realism of a fiction piece, it would thus be unreasonable to ignore that experience, even if it's purely simulator (after all, real-life fighter pilots undergo a lot of simulator training before they are even allowed up into the sky).

Not really, with specials powers I was refering to Newtypes, with uber super saiyajin like modes I was refering to SEED mode and shouting attacks was G allright and kind of SEED as well mainly because they tend to show off their weapons right in the middle of a battle :heh:

And none of those appear in 0080, 08th MS Team, 0083 and Wing.

I was simply refering to technology that's simply not that doable no matter how far into the future we are e.g. "N-jammers", "Wings of Light" plus all those superweapons.

"Technology that's simply not doable no matter how far into the future we are" is very broad and vague. It's worse than your initial "no unrealistic SF devices" condition. You'll need to clarify it further if you want to use it as a condition. Do note that nanotechnology was considered unfeasible as recently as 10-20 years ago, so if you want to play the "no matter how far into the future" card, you had better make sure there is absolutely no possible way to make them work (eg. the Minovsky particle physics central to UC technology may sound like a safe bet in this sense, but since we're still discovering new particles, I wouldn't use it if I were you).

Also I believe U.C.0079 is also 100-200 years ahead of us.

Technology-wise, I think UC is a little more than that, but it is more advanced than CE anyway. CE is the closest to us in terms of technology (except for the N-Jammers).

Uhm not really so far the only main character that actually died is Amuro, so yeah everyone else survives no matter how bad the war is :heh:
Technically speaking no shows fits in my requirements because the main character didn't die in neither 0080 and 08th, so...so far its none :D

Your requirement was "and there's also a possibility that main character actually dies instead of making all the way until the end", not "the main character dies".

In many Gundam series, especially the more serious UC series, the survivability of any character wasn't guaranteed at all. We thought Char bit the bullet twice; we didn't expect him to go down with Amuro in CCA. Similarly, how many of us thought that SEED's Mwu wasn't going to make it? Bernie from 0080 died at the hands of the girl who loves him (although she doesn't know it). For many other main characters, the peril was similarly very much real, although they didn't die.

Those, my friend, are all main characters from various Gundam series and I took care to list no truly evil characters. Only in G Gundam and Wing was there no question as to whether a main character who wasn't a villain would survive.

Who was THE main character in 0080? Al? Don't you think Bernie and Christina count as main characters too? After all, the plot of 0080 revolves around the relationship of these three characters.

Let's not move goalposts, okay? The fact is the Gundam shows I listed do fulfil your requirements as you listed them initially, with the exception of the superpowers bit which you, thankfully, explained. As it is, therefore, the following shows can be deemed realistic: 0080 and 08th MS Team.

The pilots in those shows are young but not teenagers or kids, actually went through training, and aren't endowed with superhuman powers. The technology is perfectly viable, even if you take away the Minovsky particle physics central to the functioning of the super-compact reactors and beam weapons (the former would just take longer to develop to a useable size and the latter's megaparticles can be replaced by other elements). The Gundams in the shows both did get damaged by bit characters: one RX-78(G) lost its head and the major character pilot was almost killed by an unnamed enemy pilot, while the Alex's CHOBAM armour was completely destroyed by the bit pilot who piloted the Kampfer. Also, Fans of 08th MS Team were kept in suspense about the survival of Shiro Amada and Aina Sakhalin - even Shiro's squadmates thought he was a goner - and Bernie, as I said previously twice, dies.

Take your pick as to which one you prefer.