PDA

View Full Version : Licensed Stellvia of the Universe

Sunglare
2003-11-05, 22:06
Are these two titles the same show or is one like season 1 and the other season 2?

DemonMage
2003-11-05, 22:13
Where have you heard of Cosmic Stellvia? It's not listed on Animesuki, Animenfo, or AniDB. I don't think it's the same as Stellvia the Universe, or a second season. Though I wouldn't complain seeing the cast of Stellvia again

meingts
2003-11-05, 22:25
I remember reading "Cosmic Stellvia" in Newtype USA. It appears that indeed, Cosmic Stellvia = Stellvia of the Universe.

Another ref: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=74

Sunglare
2003-11-06, 03:45
I remember reading "Cosmic Stellvia" in Newtype USA. It appears that indeed, Cosmic Stellvia = Stellvia of the Universe.

Another ref: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=74

Well, that clears up a lot of confusion. That's also where I saw it was in NewType USA.

Zoya
2003-11-06, 04:07
Well, that clears up a lot of confusion. That's also where I saw it was in NewType USA.

Let's hope that when Stellvia gets licensed they don't call it Cosmic Stellvia, that just sounds goofy to me. ;)

Zoya

Jasconius
2003-11-06, 04:38
Better than "Stellvia of the Universe" ~.~

Cosmic Stellvia is the best translation I've seen yet, although it's hard to capture the same feeling that the Japanese title conveys.

snoopy
2003-11-06, 05:49
In what language does 'Uchuu no Stellvia' translate directly into 'Cosmic Stellvia'...? Maybe 'Stellvia of the Cosmos', but no, Cosmic Stellvia would be one of the worst translations you could have while keeping the same meaning. At least in my opinion.

Hast
2003-11-06, 07:58
Spacestation Stellvia perhaps? Though I have to say that it's hard (if not impossible) to get the same intent as the original while not getting to "engrishy". And since it's supposed to sell in the US it's best if it's actually something that makes sence in English.

bluemist
2003-11-06, 09:11
Lots of names for this one:

Stellvia of the Universe
Uchuu no Stellvia
Cosmic Stellvia
Sora no Stellvia (saw this one in Newtype)

snoopy
2003-11-06, 09:20
Sora no Stellvia...? That's gotta be for a different anime... I mean, why would they put a Japanese title that's different from the Japanese title? That'd be like TV guide calling the Powerpuff Girls 'Cute Little Girls Who Beat Up Monsters' in their little program listings. If we're talking actual titles, it's 'Uchuu no Stellvia', that's what's written in the title graphic at the beginning of the anime, so that's the only *true* title. Everything else is nothing but a translation, and those are always subject to translator opinion.

bluemist
2003-11-06, 09:39
So you mean the translators at Newtype got it quite wrong? I have the mag here, May 2003 issue. It's clearly about Uchuu no Stellvia.

But maybe Sora (commonly associated to 'sky') can also mean Uchuu (commonly associated to 'universe') in some sense, but then I don't know Japanese so I'm not sure. Enough about names, but I'm just wondering what would the name be if this anime was licensed (here's me hoping that it will).

snoopy
2003-11-06, 09:50
Then allow me to enlighten you.

宇宙 = uchuu
空 = sora

No obtuse reading or secondary meaning to it, either... so yeah, I'd be happy to walk up to the 'professionals' at NewType, give them a hardy handshake, then piss on them.

Aside from that, there's really no way of telling what any American company will do with names nowadays. I point to TokyoPop's licensing of the Ikkitousen manga under the title 'Battle Vixens' as a prime example (by the way, an accurate translation would be something along the lines of 'Strength of 1000'). Not sure if the anime is under the same name, as I don't really follow anime all that much.

bluemist
2003-11-06, 10:41
Yeah, Battle Vixens, quite funny! It is a desperate way to make the manga sell I guess...

And I don't like their title for Kodomo no Omocha, which is Kodocha: Sana's Stage. Kodocha is just a shortened version of the title, and it means nothing AFAIK.

Jasconius
2003-11-06, 10:49
Then allow me to enlighten you.

宇宙 = uchuu
空 = sora

No obtuse reading or secondary meaning to it, either... so yeah, I'd be happy to walk up to the 'professionals' at NewType, give them a hardy handshake, then piss on them.

Thank you for jumping to conclusions! However, you fail to realize that the name "Sora no Stellvia" has an origin of its own. When information for Uchuu no Stellvia was first posted to the web, many places, including the OFFICIAL SITE, actually listed the pronunciation of "宇宙" as "sora". Japanese names often do this (giving pronunciation for subtly different words) to convey multiple or more vague meanings in their wording. However, at some later point in time, the reference to "sora" were taken out, and so today we have "Uchuu no Stellvia". However, it's unsurprising that something like a Newtype issue would have the early "sora" pronunciation instead. I'm assuming that they would be translating from an early Newtype JP article on the anime, which definitely would have still had the "sora" reading.

In what language does 'Uchuu no Stellvia' translate directly into 'Cosmic Stellvia'...? Maybe 'Stellvia of the Cosmos', but no, Cosmic Stellvia would be one of the worst translations you could have while keeping the same meaning. At least in my opinion.

Have you even taken Japanese? The phrase "x no y" translates into english as either "y of x" OR "x's y". Hence, a literal translation of the title would be "Cosmos's Stellvia", "Stellvia of the Cosmos", "Space's Stellvia", "Stellvia of Space", and other things like that. Cosmos's Stellvia, rendered into English instead of Engrish, very easily becomes "Cosmic Stellvia". The reason that I prefer this over the "Stellvia of the Universe" title is that the English language doesn't really make the "of the" phrases sound good. If possible, it almost always sounds nicer to use an adjective before the noun, and this is no exception, in my opinion.

That being said, "Stellvia of the Cosmos" certainly does sound better than "Stellvia of the Universe", mostly because when I think of "uchuu", I think the English words space and cosmos are more accurate translations of the word's usage.

snoopy
2003-11-06, 19:54
Yes. Yes, I have taken Japanese. For many years, actually.

Secondary furigana readings only work when they list the furigana. Siting something that doesn't exist anymore is unfair! *laughs nervously* Besides, I'm fully aware of the use of secondary readings in manga and so forth. I have to cope with such things quite often... :help:

And I did say that 'Cosmic Stellvia' was technically correct, right there at the end of the post *points*, I just said that it was the worst one I'd ever heard. The problem is that giving possesion directly to an inanimate object simply doesn't flow in English. Thus it's common to turn the apostrophe into an 'of' statement and switching the word order. You'll see it in documentaries, too. Stuff like 'Journey to the ends of the universe' instead of 'journey to the universe's ends', it just sounds weird.

Jasconius
2003-11-06, 21:03
Yes. Yes, I have taken Japanese. For many years, actually.

Secondary furigana readings only work when they list the furigana. Siting something that doesn't exist anymore is unfair! *laughs nervously* Besides, I'm fully aware of the use of secondary readings in manga and so forth. I have to cope with such things quite often... :help:

And I did say that 'Cosmic Stellvia' was technically correct, right there at the end of the post *points*, I just said that it was the worst one I'd ever heard. The problem is that giving possesion directly to an inanimate object simply doesn't flow in English. Thus it's common to turn the apostrophe into an 'of' statement and switching the word order. You'll see it in documentaries, too. Stuff like 'Journey to the ends of the universe' instead of 'journey to the universe's ends', it just sounds weird.

Okay, point. I just re-read the "In what language does it translate directly" and thought... "Huh?!" before I posted.

Anyway, I agree that "cosmos's" doesn't work, but I guess it's just a matter of preference whether you think "of the cosmos" or "cosmic" sounds better. "Ends of the universe" is a pretty unfair example to choose, too, since that's a common phrase. "Stellvia of the Universe" doesn't sound nearly as smooth as that.

And yes, I understand that you would be unlikely to know that Uchuu used to have a secondary furigana reading, but it's not cool to jump on people and mock their professionality without looking into why that might have come about. ^^

PocariSweat
2003-11-07, 02:02
He he... my guess is early on maybe someone confused the title with the opening lines of the theme song :)

True enough kaji can have multiple readings, but it can't be just anything. At least none of the readings for "宇" and "宙" listed in EDICT could make "そら"

宇 - ウ, いえ, たか, ひろ, ひろし
宙 - チュウ, ひろ, ゆ

but that's not to say there's not some rare reading EDICT missed.

snoopy
2003-11-07, 03:18
All respect that I had for professional translators was lost years ago. And they still never cease to amaze me with their stupidity. I have maybe 1 or 2 companies that I still believe in, and they test my patience at times. So I'm sure I'll hate them by this time next year, too.

And sorry about that, but 'ends of the universe' was the first think that came to my mind when I was looking for an example :heh:

And yeah, there is no reading for those kanji's that comes out as 'sora'. But that wouldn't keep them from putting a double meaning kanji/furigana combination in there, but it's not a very common practice. Sure, some mangakas do tend to use excessive puns, but usually you don't see that in made-for-TV animes not based on manga.

zalas
2003-11-07, 14:27
He he... my guess is early on maybe someone confused the title with the opening lines of the theme song :)

True enough kaji can have multiple readings, but it can't be just anything. At least none of the readings for "宇" and "宙" listed in EDICT could make "そら"

宇 - ウ, いえ, たか, ひろ, ひろし
宙 - チュウ, ひろ, ゆ

but that's not to say there's not some rare reading EDICT missed.

Actually, producers are free to put whatever furigana reading they want for the kanji. I've seen DOA used as furigana for Tobira. I've seen Cantonese pronunciations used (in Outlaw Star manga I believe). I've seen watashi used as furigana for madoushi (I think it was madoushi, or maybe some other magician name) in Fate/Stay Night. I've also seen sora used for tenkuu. Just because a Kanji doesn't officially have a certain pronunciation doesn't mean the producers can't use it ^^;

EDIT: Oops, didn't see the last part of the previous post ^^;

Doddler
2003-11-07, 16:11
Furigana has alot more use than telling you the proper reading of a kanji. There's quite a few things furigana are good for. First, you can use it for additional meaning. I've seen quite a few cases where english abreviations are used, with the japanese meaning/pronounciation in furigana above it. It can be used give alternate meanings, or being more specific. In this case we have sora no stellvia. In that case, you'd read it as sora, even if the kanji is never pronounced that way. It also picks up the meaning of "sora" in a way too. Furigana can be used to give additional explanation. This can be seen in the angelic layer manga, when the angels are witten with the kanji "tenshi", but have "angel" written in furigana above each instance of tenshi. If you've watched the show, you'll definately know they call them angels though. And last but not least, furigana can be used to clear things up. In the game Baldr Force, in the stunning conclusion you and the character Renn is fighting another... Renn (a long story). Unfortunately, Renn refers to herself in the 3rd person, so in the dialog leading up to the final battle can be more than confusing (Is she talking about herself, or the other renn?). Since this is a game, characters have voiced dialog as well as written dialog. Thankfully, through clever use of furigana, when ever they refer to each other (or themselves), its written in furigana witch one in particular it refers to. It doesn't just happen just in baldr force, there's many many cases in manga where a character will say a name like "ano ko" or "that kid", and write in furigana which one he's actually talking about.

Hope that clears up a bit about furigana.

Doddler

PocariSweat
2003-11-07, 19:56
Furigana has alot more use than telling you the proper reading of a kanji. There's quite a few things furigana are good for.

Well I'll admit there's no law saying furigana can only be used in traditional ways, and artists are free to improvise, but that still doesn't make much sense here. After all, it's not part of Stellvia's title as it's written now, and it doesn't really add much (besides confusion :) )

If I had to guess, I'd say it's more likely something like an early alternate title idea someone scrawled above "宇宙" which later was mistaken for furigana.

Jasconius
2003-11-07, 22:00
Well I'll admit there's no law saying furigana can only be used in traditional ways, and artists are free to improvise, but that still doesn't make much sense here. After all, it's not part of Stellvia's title as it's written now, and it doesn't really add much (besides confusion :) )

If I had to guess, I'd say it's more likely something like an early alternate title idea someone scrawled above "宇宙" which later was mistaken for furigana.

That -was not- it. This was on the official site, either in the original logo or in the text on the site, I forget which. They were not "mistaken" for furigana, and if you do a google search in Japanese you can still find some sites which have (そら) after the title to indicate the furigana. The creators obviously decided to drop the idea, but the thing is that it probably appeared in a Newtype article that way, and so when the article was translated into English, that's how it was written. Sure, it only adds confusion, but it's a fact that it happened, and it's not going to just go away since it was in a prominent English publication.

Now that you know why it came about, you don't have to be confused and can use the real title. :P

PocariSweat
2003-11-08, 00:35
Just because it was on the official sites doesn't mean it couldn't have been a mistake. Mistakes *do* happen even on "official" sites. People being people are not perfect! Maybe it's just something that happened to escape the art department - who can tell? You couldn't really know for sure unless you asked those behind it, but it's gone now and maybe shouldn't have been there to begin with.

It's not surprising that other publications would copy it (mistake or not) since they'd have no way of knowing that. So at least, I'll agree Newtype can't be blamed for using it.

WindStriker
2003-12-17, 19:01
I was reading a previous thread that there is going to be a second series of stellvia. If this is true i have a few questions(i want opinions). Who will it star Katase Shima or pehaps Mia Glennorth from the end of episode 26? If it does star Katease will she still be bitchy. :upset: What will the disaster be? AND Will it explain who the aliens are? AND other questions what do yall think?

DrWho2002
2003-12-17, 19:08
There will be no second Stellvia series as far as anyone knows.

WindStriker
2003-12-17, 19:20
Here's some things I found out from the thing not mentioned so far...

Sometime after the Summer of 2004 perhaps - Uchuu no Stellvia SEQUEL... no site as of yet though... That site given said
2004夏以降 宇宙のステルヴィア 続編 監督 : 佐藤竜雄
As far as I know that means after 2004 Summer, Uchuu no Stellvia Zokuhen (Sequel)... The director is Satou... Tatsuo? I think.

thats from the thread "Winter/Spring series list of new anime?"

Just a note even if there isnt going to be a second series. Please give opinions.

Grenadier
2003-12-23, 12:14
This could just be a coincidence, but has anyone else noticed that boys seem to love Uchuu no Stellvia and girls seem to have problems with it? I'm not being sexist, but I've noticed that male otaku all love it and female otaku all seem to have a problem with either the character designs or the characters themselves. It may be that they're designed to be "cute" to appeal to male viewers, but if that's the case, why would they be a turn-off to the fair sex?

Shift_
2003-12-23, 12:24
I've never noticed that...I know guys and girls who enjoy.

Zoya
2003-12-23, 12:56
For the most part I really enjoyed Stellvia. I *did* get annoyed with Shipon always crying during the last half of the series, but I don't think that had anything to do with me being a female. Most people seemed to have the same general sentiment when the long Stellvia thread was running. Maybe the females who don't like the series get annoyed with seeing such a prominent female character act like a complete wimp. ;)

abubo
2003-12-23, 14:45
Hmm... okay... I don't know any girls who hates Stellvia, BUT, all of you should now, that Stellvia is a SHONEN series. The manga is serialized in Comiku Dengeki Daioh, and that's a shonen manga mag.

Stellvia is part of the new wave of shonen series which uses girls as main characters, just like Azumanga Daioh and Gunslinger Girls. Plus, there a little fan service here and there... usually involving closeups of Arisa and Yayoi.

Thus it's okay if guys like Stellvia and girls don't. But, all new series in Japan tried to cater to both, so I suspect that overall both sexes should enjoy Stellvia equally.

kamij0
2003-12-23, 21:29
If its the girls who are rather the leads in the show, then the girls should like it more..
maybe girls dun like girls saving the earth and the universe :twitch: they prefer hunks to do that :confused:

Fronzel
2003-12-23, 22:45
Stop talking.

blkraven
2003-12-23, 23:28
LOL, why is there a discussion like this? I like stellvia and im a guy so what. why should that matter at all? Some of my female friends like Stellvia also, why should it matter?

I like Full Moon also, even though it is technically a girls anime (considered that). All that matters to any given person is wiether they like the given anime or not why should it matter if they are generally male or female?

anyway in my eyes this whole arguement is rather ridiculous.

~Raven

PS. sorry for the spelling errors. also im looking for some people who wouldnt mind some sensible chating about anime on AIM please Contact me "blkraven123" is my AIM addy.

hunterx
2003-12-23, 23:50
I'm a boy and I hated it

sothis
2003-12-24, 00:36
<-- girl, loved it.

::faze
2003-12-24, 01:46
I always thought Stellvia was more of a girls anime, I know a lot of girls who like it, and all the guys I know, including me, hated it.

JediNight
2003-12-25, 01:26
I loved Stellvia, and I thought it took a pretty neutral route actually. Stellvia has VERY little fanservice IMHO, especially for a series with a heavily female character cast. I think they put it in the shonen mag because guys in Japan aren't caught dead buying shoujo serial books, so they knew that it would sell better to both that way. It actually seems very shoujo-ish in many parts if you ask me *shrug*

Laguna
2003-12-25, 05:05
Stellvia is part of the new wave of shonen series which uses girls as main characters, just like Azumanga Daioh and Gunslinger Girls. Plus, there a little fan service here and there... usually involving closeups of Arisa and Yayoi.

Hrr.. I get shivers just hearing Azumanga Daioh and Stellvia in same sentence. I hated Stellvia to death, but Azumanga was my alltime favorite. I'm male btw.

uLTraCarL-
2003-12-25, 06:27
all i know is that stellvia used ship designs from Homeworld >:D

from the mothership to the scout

Egan1
2003-12-25, 09:12
Me (female) and my sister both enjoyed it. My brother watched it also I believe.

stormy001_M1A2
2003-12-25, 12:32
This could just be a coincidence, but has anyone else noticed that boys seem to love Uchuu no Stellvia and girls seem to have problems with it? I'm not being sexist, but I've noticed that male otaku all love it and female otaku all seem to have a problem with either the character designs or the characters themselves. It may be that they're designed to be "cute" to appeal to male viewers, but if that's the case, why would they be a turn-off to the fair sex?

I thonk you are overgeneralizing and stereotyping.

Sugetsu
2003-12-25, 12:45
I HATE! stellavila, it is a series that never makes a clear point. And the story is lost in pointless character problems. Such as: ahh I don't think he loves me what should I do? or, you are not my best friend I hate you? or maybe, I'm too afraid to do this... I don't have confidence, also, my frien is drepressed... We should all help her to feel better... blah blah blah... nothing new... nothing that I haven't seen before in another series. And after 7 episodies just a little something happens related to the main plot. But it only takes one or two episodies. At the ending was horrible. The first supernova explotion was more exiting than that. So yeah this series remainds me of PMK or Sailor moon Puagh!

Why do you guys like it so much?

abubo
2003-12-26, 04:38
Hrr.. I get shivers just hearing Azumanga Daioh and Stellvia in same sentence. I hated Stellvia to death, but Azumanga was my alltime favorite. I'm male btw.

Well, they're related only in that 1. They're both shonen, and 2. They were both big series for Dengeki Daioh Anthology. Hope you feel better. :)

Cruzz
2003-12-26, 12:51

Why do some people like Yugi-oh? Or Pokemon? Or DBZ? Or the Walker: Texas Ranger opening theme? Different people like different things and there's little point in delving into why exactly people might like a specific series even though *you* hate it. I myself don't like Naruto, I think it's stupid and totally predictable (and due to that boring too), does that mean Naruto sucks?

Sugetsu
2003-12-26, 13:32
Why do some people like Yugi-oh? Or Pokemon? Or DBZ? Or the Walker: Texas Ranger opening theme? Different people like different things and there's little point in delving into why exactly people might like a specific series even though *you* hate it. I myself don't like Naruto, I think it's stupid and totally predictable (and due to that boring too), does that mean Naruto sucks?

Well, when I say that I like something or I dislike something I ALWAYS SAY WHY, because it is just pointless to say I like/don't like this without any reason. I believe that there is reason for everything.

saku~ya
2003-12-26, 14:17

You again eh? :heh: I don't think that it has come to your attention that people will always have some reason for liking and disliking an anime. Lets see... How can I explain this in ways that it will come out right ^^;

Believe it or not, Stellvia finds itself in my CD drive more than anyother anime that I have seen. And yeah, if it were released here in the states I would actually spend the money to get it. I particularly am I anime music person and I look for stuff that in my opinon has a nice OST. But thats not the only thing. Stellvia did have a plot and I can say it went a little weird after awhile. But I still spent those countless hours of sitting in front of my monitor biting my nails. *bad habit* I was excited about watching it.

Its like me asking you, why do you like DBZ so much. As for passion for DBZ, mine is the same for Stellvia :p

Sugetsu
2003-12-26, 14:47
You again eh? :heh: I don't think that it has come to your attention that people will always have some reason for liking and disliking an anime. Lets see... How can I explain this in ways that it will come out right ^^;

Believe it or not, Stellvia finds itself in my CD drive more than anyother anime that I have seen. And yeah, if it were released here in the states I would actually spend the money to get it. I particularly am I anime music person and I look for stuff that in my opinon has a nice OST. But thats not the only thing. Stellvia did have a plot and I can say it went a little weird after awhile. But I still spent those countless hours of sitting in front of my monitor biting my nails. *bad habit* I was excited about watching it.

Its like me asking you, why do you like DBZ so much. As for passion for DBZ, mine is the same for Stellvia :p

lolz remenber that I watched a different DBZ. it was much better than the one that is shown in the US. I HATE the dbz from the US.

But, ok your explanation was convincing enough to understand why many people like it. By the way, I wathed the entire series that's why I consider that I can give my opinion about this anime.

monir
2003-12-26, 14:59
Good explanation Sakuya.. There are no precise reasonig for liking or disliking any anime. If we know the reason that means we understand ourselves very much.:heh:..I have seen many reasons that are given for liking/disliking animes throughout the forum. I will list some:

Reason for liking:

-cool action, superior character development - Naruto, DBZ
-complex story - KGNE
-dark atmosphere - Tsukihime, Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari

Reason for Disliking:

-Childish and annoying - Naruto, DBZ, One Piece
-Weird-ass ghost story - Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari
-Incest theme - Da Capo, Onegai Twins, Miyuki

These are just few of the reasons. I dont think anyone really knows why some likes a particular anime and the others dont. It is just matter of personal taste I presume. That doesnt stop us from creating VS Threads or prevent us from implying that some anime-fans are "stupid" for liking particular animes..i.e Naruto/DB-fans are labeled as such..

I liked Stellvia for its Sci-fi theme. Some of the concept that are shown/mentioned were pretty cool. In Stellvia the representation of the future was not a sci-fi anime typical, where usually are shown as the doom of humanity through fighting, war etc. etc. My only regret is that I didnt stop watching after the first 10 episodes although it was interesting to see Shipon struggle after realizing that someone else could be better than her.

ccardoso
2004-02-27, 05:10
Hello forum,
this is my first post in the forum. First of all I want to thank the Staff of Animesuki for the wonderful work they do evrey day. It's very useful and I like it: thank you very much! :)
I searched for some topics regarding a possible next season for Uchuu No Stellvia (I don't remember if it's written exactly :) ), but I didn't find anything... perhaps I searched badly: in this case excuse me and can you give me a link of a topic where my question is answered?
I like Stellvia a lot, I think it's the best anime I have ever seen, better of Evangelion and Berserk too... (the only thing I didn't like was the always-crying-baby Katase Shima.) :) It's because of this that I would like to see new seasons of this great anime! Obviously when it will come in Italy I'll buy it, but for four-five years I can forgive that. :(

wao
2004-02-27, 05:33
I wasn't really a fan of Stellvia, it had some nice parts but the really icky relationship between Katase and Otoyama totally turned me off and Katase cries her ass off. She should've gotten used to all of that shiz by now (and she's supposed to be 16 :rolleyes: ...)

But anyway, I know the old post is somewhere but since I believe I was the one who made the post, here's a link of the original Japanese site I got it from:

http://www.moonphase.cc/Html/anime.html

2004夏以降 - 宇宙のステルヴィア 続編 - 監督 : 佐藤竜雄

After the Summer of 2004 (so it could be any time after summer) - Uchuu no Stellvia continuation - director: SATOU something-o (not really sure).

There you go. I'm fairly sure this will pull through...

dreamless
2004-02-27, 06:33
I love Stellvia a lot too, and I'm really happy there's gonna be another season of it. Yup it's quite confirmed that there will be a second season of Stellvia.

ccardoso
2004-02-27, 06:47
I love Stellvia a lot too, and I'm really happy there's gonna be another season of it. Yup it's quite confirmed that there will be a second season of Stellvia.
There are lots of things to explain (first of all the aliens) and if the second season will be well developed I think that could be a season 3 too! :D

stormy001_M1A2
2004-02-27, 07:24
Nah Stellvia should remained finished.

On to other animes!

ccardoso
2004-02-27, 07:34
Nah Stellvia should remained finished.

On to other animes!
Why should it remain finished?

stormy001_M1A2
2004-02-27, 09:39
What else is there to talk about in Stellvia?

The story is more and less finished.

ccardoso
2004-02-27, 10:04
What else is there to talk about in Stellvia?

The story is more and less finished.
What else?!?! Did you watch the entire anime? :)
What else you ask... ok:
1) who are the aliens, while they helped mankind etc
2) the expansion of mankind in the deep space
3) the adventures of new generation of pilots (mia e masato especially)
4) where did the cosmic fracture come from?

These are only the main questions in my opinion, if I think more about them I think I find others for sure. I don't understand why you say the story is finished... I think it's the exact opposite!

Breogan
2004-02-27, 10:05
Something like...
Stellvia of the Universe: The Next Generation where Shipon's brother comes to save the universe from the stellar cry in a pink Infi :P

More seriously, it's probably about interstellar travel, since that's the point where the 1st series stopped (humanity about to begin space exploration).

ccardoso
2004-02-27, 10:11
Something like...
Stellvia of the Universe: The Next Generation where Shipon's brother comes to save the universe from the stellar cry in a pink Infi :P

More seriously, it's probably about interstellar travel, since that's the point where the 1st series stopped (humanity about to begin space exploration).
I think that the exploration of deep space will be one of the main subject of the new season, but not the only one. There will be further contacts with the aliens for sure, and I have a big doubt: when humans tried to destroy the cosmic fracture for the first time the shoot didn't reach its target because "the fracture caused itself the failure"... could be the cosmic fracture a weapon of some alien civilization?
However Stellvia has virtually no limits in development in my opinion... it could become a kind of Star Trek in the anime world I think...

wao
2004-02-27, 10:14
I hope people cry for a really good reason this time. I want to see people suffer in hunger and desparation and TRUE loneliness. And I want to see people who've got absolutely no choice but to be forced to die.

Stellvia always was too happy for me >_> I think if I was older I'd be so sick-minded I'd secretly be drawing a S & M doujinshi of Stellvia. Gak.

stormy001_M1A2
2004-02-27, 10:22
Yeap, that too is my problem of Stellvia. Too happy, too clean.

Baba
2004-02-27, 10:35
True, Stellvia was very goody-dooey at times and Shima got on my nerve for being such a crybaby. You would have tough these kids would be able to handle a little competiotn after a fashion, especially as it really isn't dirty (except for Senpai, I can't remember her name, who I can't believe they forgave so easly...). We're far, far, far from Ender's Game Battle school.

But despite these shortcomings I really enjoyed most of the series that had a good mix of action and talk with a light tone to it that lifted my spirits.

ccardoso
2004-02-27, 11:07
I hope people cry for a really good reason this time. I want to see people suffer in hunger and desparation and TRUE loneliness. And I want to see people who've got absolutely no choice but to be forced to die.

Stellvia always was too happy for me >_> I think if I was older I'd be so sick-minded I'd secretly be drawing a S & M doujinshi of Stellvia. Gak.
Yoy observations are right, I share them! :)
I would like more realistic behaviours too! In particular that dear Shima-chan who cries all the time :)
She's on a space station, not in primary school :D

ccardoso
2004-02-27, 11:10
True, Stellvia was very goody-dooey at times and Shima got on my nerve for being such a crybaby. You would have tough these kids would be able to handle a little competiotn after a fashion, especially as it really isn't dirty (except for Senpai, I can't remember her name, who I can't believe they forgave so easly...). We're far, far, far from Ender's Game Battle school.

But despite these shortcomings I really enjoyed most of the series that had a good mix of action and talk with a light tone to it that lifted my spirits.
In the season 2 Katase Shima will be a 2 year regular student: now she has grown up and so she won't be a cry-baby I hope! :)
However for Senpai I think you mean Machida Ayaka, right?

Baba
2004-02-27, 12:48
However for Senpai I think you mean Machida Ayaka, right?

Yes, that's it exactly, thanks. :)
For some reason, the only thing I could remember for her name was :

Kouta kun screaming "Senpai ha Saitei" in the jousting incident between shima and Machida.

FlyByNite
2004-02-27, 12:59
I thought Stellvia was about half a season too long. It should have been 12 episodes and ended with the great mission.

The second half of the show was an increasingly whiny Shima, with quite possible one of the most cringe-inducing anime scenes of sheer whining I've ever scene when the majority of female chars all start crying to each other.

7thMethuselah
2004-02-27, 13:14
Yeap, that too is my problem of Stellvia. Too happy, too clean.

that is the one thing i loved about Stellvia, it was so extremely optimistic. I found having a completely optimistic view quite refreshing from the usual "end-of-the-world"// depressed//sarcastic atmosphere that often exists.

Ok I admit she cried a bit too much but apart from that this show was awesome imo. I can't wait for a second season :)

dreamless
2004-02-27, 15:19
I always think they can do a Arthur C Clarke's Childhood's End kind of storyline for Stellvia 2, I mean, some people are evolving (Otoyama), some aliens are helping humanity, sounds a bit similar :D

marin
2004-02-27, 20:02
The only thing is after facing two Galaxy-threatening catastrophes in the first season already, the second season better go off in a different direction otherwise it's going to feel like a horrible retread...

"Oh no! The Super Duper Cosmic Fracture Impact Wave! We must begin the Ultra Great Great Mission! etc."

You get the idea...

Animaniac
2004-02-28, 03:45
Yay! Second season! I loved the music and the characters were dynamic. There may have been too much crying. but I think that added realism. The series sent a very strong and powerful message too.

marin
2004-02-28, 03:59
Realism? I thought that the whole crying bit in 20 (it was 20 right?) was indicative of the whole "show about women, written by men" sort of thing...

Autumn
2004-02-28, 12:35
Realism? I thought that the whole crying bit in 20 (it was 20 right?) was indicative of the whole "show about women, written by men" sort of thing...

Shima was the only crybaby of the show, all the other female characters are pretty tough. Anyway Shima was young only in her teens, so shes a immature person, whats not real about that. I think there are people like that.

Anyway i would love to watch a second season, just to see how the characters have change and mature.

Keitaro
2004-02-28, 13:37
Alright a new season of Stellvia. Now all I ask for is a second season of Scrapped Princess that make my day. :)

dreamless
2004-02-28, 15:24
I think Scrapped Princess ended quite well... now if there's a second season of Kino no Tabi or Gunslinger Girl, that'd be heaven! :D

Animaniac
2004-02-28, 17:30
Well if the fate of entire planet was put on your shoulders... I'd be pretty emotional. Though I'd probably have a short temper instead.

Dorfl
2004-02-28, 21:34
Well if the fate of entire planet was put on your shoulders... I'd be pretty emotional. Though I'd probably have a short temper instead. Except that was she was crying about WASN'T that the fate of the universe was on her shoulders but that Otoyama was smarter than her. Never mind that she was the smartest girl in the school and that everyone was depending on her to get her act together and save the world. That just pissed me off to no end: "I'm not a genius, I'm not a genius, WAAAAAH!!" Just die, will ya? :bash: :fingers: I'd probably watch a second season though, Otoyama-kun was just too cute for words. :love:

CompShrink
2004-02-28, 22:04
I'd like to see a second season of Stellvia. Along with what was mentioned about, war should be an important issue. There was peace on Earth from a major threat, and then another major threat. Now, countries will bicker, relations will fall apart.

PS: anyone else know about the International Bacheloriate program? in ep2 they refered to TOK, EE, and CAS. :twitches: yeah, I watch anime partially to eascape reality, specificly school... that was... yeah... :/

Dorfl
2004-02-28, 22:22
Haha, it's International Baccalaureate and yes, that brought back memories as well. I still remember all that stuff, some of it fondly, some of it not. I mentioned it to some of my friends too and we got a quick laugh out of it, but we weren't laughing back then. :heh: Come to think of it, I never saw those self-centered kids ever doing any CAS activities.

dreamless
2004-02-28, 22:44
Forget about Shipon, Ayaka is THE WAY!!!! :D

Seiryuu
2004-02-29, 00:25
Alright, first, in Shipon's defense: In ep 20, she had a very good reason to be upset. The weight of the universe rested on her and Kouta, and she knew that she was an important part of the mission. Kouta needed her support, and also needed the sort of backup only a super-analytical mind like hers could provide. Only she could keep things in order in case of a chrisis. Yet Kouta was going deeper and deeper into the wonders the new system allowed him to see, which looked like a black spiderweb to her. Crying that he's smarter than her is dumb, but crying because he no longer needs her, and that he's going to a place that she cannot follow, THAT is worth at least a few tears, I think. Also, judging from the ending, I would expect S2 to be centered on Masato and Mia. Also, it may likely deal with civilization's recuperation. Many of the foundations were destroyed, most of Earth's resources have been put into defense against the Second Wave and the String. Also, with the dread threats gone, the central pillar that held up global/universal peace is gone. There'll probably be a great deal of political focus. I just hope it doesn't end up too cliche, like Gundam with ugly mechs or Nadesico without the time device. But I'm sure they'll give us something worth watching. BTW, any new info on the release date(if S2 is legit)?

Keitaro
2004-02-29, 02:51
Forget about Shipon, Ayaka is THE WAY!!!! :D

Yeah Shipon is a cry baby, Ayaka is a babe. I just hope she doesn't go through another cry baby fit in the next season of Stellvia. She really annoyed me during those moments so much I skip through those parts.

wao
2004-02-29, 03:46
BTW, any new info on the release date(if S2 is legit)?
According to Moon Phase it'll come out... any time after Summer 2004. Could be the 31st of December 3003 for all you know but, you can forget about it until after SUmmer 2004.

I didn't like any of the characters in Stellvia except maybe the female teacher with the funky silver hair. I dunno. Even tehn she's not all that well done...

kamij0
2004-02-29, 05:28
i hope they wont make the 2nd season with alot of unexplains just like season 1

marin
2004-02-29, 06:53
Shima was the only crybaby of the show, all the other female characters are pretty tough. Anyway Shima was young only in her teens, so shes a immature person, whats not real about that. I think there are people like that..
I'm talking about the group crying session, which felt like writers trying to convey the emotional ties between all of the girls in the most overwrought theatrical fashion possible.

Dorfl
2004-02-29, 13:55
Also referred to in some male circles as "The PMS episode." :rolleyes:

JediNight
2004-03-01, 02:28
Well with the Cosmic Fracture they stated that it was the cause of the Hydrus Beta star going supernova to begin with. So they ARE related -- its not like they just decided to go the DBZ route with saving the world hehe.

hakasan
2004-03-01, 08:52
Great to hear that there will be a 2rd season. I would think they will most likely develop on story on Shipon's brother and Alisa (?) 's sister, well, at least it seems that way at the end of season 1. Remember Ayaka mentioning at the end as well, that she looks forward to be coaching Shipon's brother (is his name Masato?).

thegreatjason
2004-03-01, 11:11
Ah, I can't wait for season 2 I enjoyed this show becuase it was an emotional and uplifting(for the most part) show. Shima's whining wasn't that big of a deal, emotional breakdowns happen alot in anime.

I am a little dissapointed though, that they're bringing this show back. In my opinion it is one of the only animes in recent memory to have a truly great ending, it's the only anime ending I can think of off the top of my head(besides SP) that when I watched it I said,"Wow, what an awesome ending, I'm glad things turned out the way they did."

dreamless
2004-03-01, 11:29
well, it does leave much to be explained. Like that alien race...

Freddy C
2004-04-04, 13:03
god, no disrespect but stellvia, though it can be very good at times, the aftereffect of this anime wasnt that good, i mean after i wacthed this, it just became 'another anime ive seen' like most other animes.

second series huh? well im not sure id be watching

sperry
2004-04-04, 17:50
Even though I think a second season might not turn out well, I still want to see what they'd do with it. I'd really like if they went into all the political problems that would arise from there not being a unifying purpose now. That would be very interesting, and, of course, the aliens were left completely unexplained, so they'd need that in there too...

I loved the series, but the odd thing is, I didn't really like any of the characters. Except for Akira, maybe. I know just about every single peson has said this, but Shima really got on my nerves near the end. And I wanted to kill Kouta for almost the whole second half of the series. If he just happened to die, and then Shima stopped crying all the time, Stellvia would be a lot better off.

So basically, I just said exactly what everyone else did. Why did I bother to post? :heh:

Laguna
2004-04-05, 13:48
Next season for Stellvia?

If there is god there won't be. :frustrated: I don't remeber hating any other series with same passion as uchuu no stellvia. Only good thing about this serie was animation which was very nice.

Mr_Paper
2004-04-05, 14:14
I hope there isn't a new season. It's my opinion that after episode 12, or so,
that the original should have ended. The plot went down hill after the first
half and by the end of the second half, I was seriously hoping they would fail
and all die.

kj1980
2004-04-05, 14:21
Seems like Stellvia was one of those animes that was a hit over here, but didn't do so well overseas.

Rumors suggest that a second series is in the works, maybe for this fall at the earliest to next year revolving around Shi-pon's brother and Alisa's sister.

Arcy
2004-05-28, 13:11
I've read a far number of forums looking for this question, but i found it best to asked here at animesuki.

I heard a rumor of a second season of Stellvia of the Universe in the winter/fall. I read a post here as well talking about someone wanting to sub it. My question is has it been officially Announced stated that this is a second season.

Can anyone link me to the site or any other information proving that there is a second season planned. I rather not get my hopes up for nothing.

Arigato!

:help:

Prince of Chronics
2004-05-29, 04:48
well... you can check the discussion in these boards... there have been a couple of threads discussing this very topic...

Next season for Stellvia? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=8304&highlight=stellvia+season)
Stellvia 2nd Season (Recruiting) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=10100&highlight=stellvia+season)

Kayoubi
2004-05-30, 03:33
i like stellvia a lot too! though i agree with the long lull in the plot after fending off the first wave.

i wouldn't mind a second season at all.

Blaat
2004-06-05, 16:40
Simply put time will tell ;)

Sharkbark
2004-06-05, 22:39
Hrm... I liked Stellvia, but in my opinion it was pretty mediocre, not really worth a second season. The only reason I'd want a second season is to see more of the relationship between Ayaka and the girl with glasses (sorry it's been a while ^_^;; ) . Heh, of course my shoujo-ai fan girlism makes me a bit biased =P

WindStriker
2004-07-11, 18:00
I cant wait for stellvia 2nd season but i have had a troubling thought. If geneon has liscensed the series have'nt they alread liscenced the second season? :uhoh:

7thMethuselah
2004-07-11, 18:15
I cant wait for stellvia 2nd season but i have had a troubling thought. If geneon has liscensed the series have'nt they alread liscenced the second season? :uhoh:
no the license is for the first season only. That doesn't mean that Geneon can't be trying to get the license for the second season.

As long as there isn't an official press announcement, the series isn't licensed

Kyuven
2004-07-11, 19:06
knowing geneon, they'll have the second season soon or eventually, it's just a matter of time.

microlith
2004-07-11, 19:53
As long as there isn't an official press announcement, the series isn't licensed

Hahahahahaha...

As we know from recent events, this is completely untrue.

rcxAsh
2004-08-03, 20:24
I don't know if anyone has posted this before, hope not lol.

For those of you in the United States..

I was bored today and decided to see what BestBuy.com would tell me if I typed in "stellvia" in the search box:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat12085&type=page&sc=ALL&qs=stellvia&cp=1&sp=Relevance&mipp=10&uq=stellvia&_requestid=9025

And.. they already have the first two DVD's in their database! PLUS, they're on sale! The regular DVD is $4.60 USD off the regular price, and the boxed version (?) is $7.00 USD off.

Though I don't live in the US, I thought maybe those of you who do and intend to buy the DVDs would like to know about the apparent discounts.

First DVD has a release date of September 21st, and the second one says December 12th.

BTW, while reading the description of the 1st DVD (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1370685&skuId=6761729&type=product), I couldn't get used to how they refer to Shipon as Shima. Yes, it's her name lol.. but you hear the name Shipon a lot in the series.

I'm wondering if in the subs if they'll refer to her as Shipon at all. Since it's a play on words, it wouldn't make sense in English. Hmm. Just a random thought I had.

Here's the quote from BestBuy:A green universe filled with gas. This is the universe that I know. But I long to see the color of the universe as it appeared to the people of the past when they had gazed up in. - Shima Katase. In 2167, the Earth was catastrophically damaged by a nearby exploding supernova. The blast sent up an electromagnetic wave of radiation that swept over the Earth. Now 186 years later, another, more destructive explosion, known as "The Second Wave" is on its way to Earth...15 year-old computer genius Shima Katase has been dreaming of going up into space longer than she can remember. So when given the chance to enter space piloting school she jumps at the chance. However, piloting is a lot more complicated than programming a computer. But what if she were to combine the two...Genius or troublemaker, Shima is certainly going to be making a name for herself among the faculty as the Second Wave approaches...

On a side note, the OST is also available on their site (but the sound track being released is older news).

SirCanealot
2004-08-04, 08:28
Heh, they've been up for Pre-order for a while :P

I'm wondering if in the subs if they'll refer to her as Shipon at all. Since it's a play on words, it wouldn't make sense in English. Hmm. Just a random thought I had.

Who knows, but they wouldn't use her nick-names in the series decsription anyway, so there's simply no way of telling. If they don't, I may just have to forget about this 8 Disk release - even though I want it so bad -_-

7thMethuselah
2004-08-04, 11:01
Hmmm, if you want Stellvia at a good price you can try archonia as well

http://www.archonia.com/index.php?page=article&aid=27644

They are selling Stellvia DVD 1 for 24.24 € which is the equivalent of 29 USD, so only slightly more expensive but cheaper than th regular price. Release date is 22nd of september.

This may be an option if you live in the EU as shipping costs might be lower.

In their description they keep saying shima as well, I guess the meaning of shippon will be reserved for us hardcore anime freaks only :p

Does anyone know if they are planning a box release for Stellvia? I wanna have a box :p

On a side note, the DVD's for Getbackers are also coming up, the funny thing is that online you have to wait untill end of august to buy them, while my anime store allready has them??? (no they weren't bootlegs, I checked)

rcxAsh
2004-08-04, 11:39
Heh, they've been up for Pre-order for a while :P Lol, yeh.. I didn't know just till yesterday :heh:. But I thought that maybe some people in the US might find the sale useful.
Does anyone know if they are planning a box release for Stellvia? I wanna have a box :p
I don't know about a full box set, but at least on BestBuy's site, there are two entries that show up for the first DVD. One says color box or something like that, and costs more than the other one.
On a side note, the DVD's for Getbackers are also coming up, the funny thing is that online you have to wait untill end of august to buy them, while my anime store allready has them??? (no they weren't bootlegs, I checked)
Lol, maybe they're just being silly. Or maybe your anime store is special :)

BTW, now that Stellvia is licensed, do you think that they'll translate the PS2 game and bring it to North America/Europe/etc? It's an adventure game, right? (It's not an ecchi dating sim, is it?) I wouldn't mind trying it (Even if they don't use the name Shipon! lol).

Kyuven
2004-08-04, 11:46
BTW, while reading the description of the 1st DVD (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1370685&skuId=6761729&type=product), I couldn't get used to how they refer to Shipon as Shima. Yes, it's her name lol.. but you hear the name Shipon a lot in the series.

pre-orders are nothing new, look around at other sites and you'll see preorders for Tsukihime too
in the subs they do call her "Shipon", i've verified it myself at Comicon when they showed the first or second episode and had shipon plastered all over the place (it was my first time watching it and i thought it was a very odd name til i realized her real name was Shima...)

microlith
2004-08-04, 14:00
RightStuf has had the preorder up since around AX for Stellvia Vol.1 + Tin for $29.99

Stellvia won't be getting a box, but a tin with 4 dual thinpaks. The first dvd comes in the tin, and the remaining 7 are bought regularly in standard cases. Think of it like the ROD TV book thing, except they're all encased in thinner keepcases inside a tin.

Looks nice too, hoping later volumes come with extras :)

rcxAsh
2004-08-04, 14:01
pre-orders are nothing new, look around at other sites and you'll see preorders for Tsukihime too
Lol, I'm still rather new to this "world of anime," so I guess I get easily excited :) :heh:

in the subs they do call her "Shipon", i've verified it myself at Comicon when they showed the first or second episode and had shipon plastered all over the place (it was my first time watching it and i thought it was a very odd name til i realized her real name was Shima...)
That's nice to know. But now.. I wonder about the dubs? Lol. Hmm, I think that a couple friends and I are hoping to go to a local anime convention again at the end of August. I wonder if they'll showcase any Stellvia there too (though, I think it's a lower profile convention.. so maybe not).

Yakumae
2004-08-11, 03:09
Uhm, she says in the first ep that she wants to go to Stellvia so she can see what the sky looks like without the green gas... but as she is boarding the transport the sky looks a normal blue during the day. Wouldn't the green gas in the atmosphere that taints the sky at night, also affect how it appears during the day?

edted to add: Sorry about making a new thread for my topic. I wasn't sure since we are out of the Fansub forum that each series still had only one thread each. If I had known I'd have just posted here, but I don't come to this section to much...

...perhaps there should be a "Series Discussion Index" sticky in this forum too? (which oddly enough I just checked and this thread isn't listed on it, just a little FYI)

Burner of Anime
2004-08-11, 05:15
Uhm, she says in the first ep that she wants to go to Stellvia so she can see what the sky looks like without the green gas... but as she is boarding the transport the sky looks a normal blue during the day. Wouldn't the green gas in the atmosphere that taints the sky at night, also affect how it appears during the day?

Er, the sky is blue because it's the atmospheric reflection of a very large body of water [our oceans :p]. Interstellar gas probably has nothing to do with the colour of sky whichever way the planet is facing the sun.

No matter, here's something I came across and is my current desktop.

it's the Stellvia crew all grown up :D

http://upload.serverseed.com/pictars4/STELLVIA.jpg

Yakumae
2004-08-11, 05:50
Er, the sky is blue because it's the atmospheric reflection of a very large body of water [our oceans :p]. Interstellar gas probably has nothing to do with the colour of sky whichever way the planet is facing the sun.

I though the same thing, but then I thought... the gas really isn't "intersteller" as it is all surrounding the planet and in our own solar system, and two I'm not saying the sky should be green, just more of a green-blue, since the gas is filtering the sunlight. And if it makes a differnce at night, it should make a differnece during the day, it's not like the oceans go away at night.

edted to add: I just looked it up on The Straight Dope (a wonderful website by the way) and according to them (http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a810828b.html) the reason the sky is blue is not because of the oceans but because the "sunlight striking air molecules is scattered in all directions" and the blue is jus scattered more that the rest, so we see the blue more.... so the sky could still be blue, but that's not taking into consideration the sunlight striking the gas molocules that are in space.... too confusing to me. *poders going to find an astronomer*

wao
2004-08-11, 06:39

No matter, here's something I came across and is my current desktop.

it's the Stellvia crew all grown up :D

http://upload.serverseed.com/pictars4/STELLVIA.jpg
;_____; Shipon's hair... Shipon's hair... I still don't know why they had to !@#$ it.... oh well...

Actually if I never watched the series before, and read that earlier description "15-year-old computer genius Shima Katase" I'd get an impression that is veeery different from what she is in the anime :x

Burner of Anime
2004-08-11, 09:39
I though the same thing, but then I thought... the gas really isn't "intersteller" asedted to add: I just looked it up on The Straight Dope (a wonderful website by the way) and according to them (http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a810828b.html) the reason the sky is blue is not because of the oceans but because the "sunlight striking air molecules is scattered in all directions" and the blue is jus scattered more that the rest, so we see the blue more.... so the sky could still be blue, but that's not taking into consideration the sunlight striking the gas molocules that are in space.... too confusing to me. *poders going to find an astronomer*

Looks like I have to screw my old science book :p Which begs the question: Do you think that every explaination we've heard on whether the sky is blue is valid/believable? Could be no one knows for certain and we're all shooting blanks :heh: I'm betting if we ever set foot on Mars and the sky is also blue then ppl will be stumped as well.

And Stellvia is definately a keeper series. The science is believable, the crisis the ppl face imminent and the final twist at the end made this show a worthwhile trip. Only bad parts? Dumb supermech design [lord Ifni was UGLY] and the PMS episodes.

dreamless
2004-08-11, 11:44
I think the sky is blue because blue light has shorter wavelength thus has more penetration power while the "redder" lights has less penetration power thus stopped by the atmosphere? Hmm... that means as long as we have an atmosphere as dense as on Earth we'll have blue sky?

well... anyway I hope Ayaka and Yayoi can finally get together XD

7thMethuselah
2004-08-11, 13:46
edted to add: I just looked it up on The Straight Dope (a wonderful website by the way) and according to them (http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a810828b.html) the reason the sky is blue is not because of the oceans but because the "sunlight striking air molecules is scattered in all directions" and the blue is jus scattered more that the rest, so we see the blue more.... so the sky could still be blue, but that's not taking into consideration the sunlight striking the gas molocules that are in space.... too confusing to me. *poders going to find an astronomer*

True but the reason blue is scattered more is because of the huge amount of water molecules in the air surrounding earth. So the ocean explanation may be wrong, it still is not that far of the mark. Also keep in mind that interstellar gas has an extremely small density which can be completely ignored compared to atmospheric densities.
Interstellar gasses are regions of space with gaslike atomic particles where the density is considerably higher than normal. Normal "empty" space has a density of 2 particles per cubic meter btw.

I think the sky is blue because blue light has shorter wavelength thus has more penetration power while the "redder" lights has less penetration power thus stopped by the atmosphere? Hmm... that means as long as we have an atmosphere as dense as on Earth we'll have blue sky?

While the wavelenght of light is indeed an indication of the energy they posess, your argument about it's penetration power is in fact incorrect. I'll try to explain.

Light and other form of radiation are classified according to their wavelength (or energy)

High energy = Gamma rays (from the nucleus of atoms) > X-ray > Ultra Violet > Visible Light > Infra Red > Radio Waves = low energy
The visible light has several subclasses (commonly known as the colors)

High energy = blue light > green> yellow > orange > red = low enengy

When light (and thus energy) passes through the atmopshere it has a chance of being absorbed. Now earths atmosphere is build up in such a way that it in fact filters out almost all radiation coming from the sun. Different layers in the atmosphere block out/filter different types of radiation : for example the so called Ozon layer (which is often in the news) is a layer at about 12 km height and is responsible for 90% of the absorption of Ultra violet light.

Now only 2 types of radiation are NOT BLOCKED by the atmosphere (almost not blocked that is) : they are Visible Light and Radio Waves.

This kinda explains why many animals have eyes which work in the visible light spectrum, because this exists in abundance.
It also explains why we use telecommunication signals with energies in the Radio Waves spectrum : these signals aren't blocked by the atmophere. If we we're to transmit TV through infra red signals for example (which is perfectly pôssible) we'd have to place amlplifiers in every street because most of it would be absorbed by the atmosphere.

So the "penetration power" you speak of isn't dependent on the light itself, it depends on the structure of our atmosphere. And while different types of radation have indeed a different chance to penetrate earth's atmosphere, the difference between blue and red ( or any other color) is negligeable

My apologies for such a long off topic post :D

PS I love Stellvia too :)

Innotech
2004-08-11, 20:42
after picking up Stratos 4 this month, Im looking forward to more space themed anime so Im excited to see what Stellvia is all about. So is it 7 or 8 discs? and how many eps is it?

7thMethuselah
2004-08-12, 00:06
after picking up Stratos 4 this month, Im looking forward to more space themed anime so Im excited to see what Stellvia is all about. So is it 7 or 8 discs? and how many eps is it?
there are 26 episodes, i don't know how many discs

Anthias
2004-08-18, 07:57
Well, I loved stellvia - I sincerely believe it one of the best written (if not the best written) SF shows from any country any where in the last 5 to 10 years. My reasons for this are complex and long winded, but suffice to say I'll be buying the DVD's.

I loved the abundance of classic SF references, in the names given to ships and such (as well as other factors), complete with neat little connections (the Clarke being from Odessy was a nice touch)

all round a great series, and definitely worthy of a sequel.

However, I just read this thread from beginning to end, and now my head hurts :) and I have several issues with the things I read. If your easily offended by things not meant to offend or have problems recognising that somebody is NOT having a go at you personally, please stop reading NOW.

1) I have to ask why on earth so many people came into this thread just to say they hated stellvia? what *something* behaviour. I mean really, if you hate it that much, what on earth are you doing in this thread?

2) Yes, shipon got annoying, but that doesn't mean she wasn't real. The interpersonal relationships were incredibly minor influences, stacked upon one another, and added to some real heavy duty problems. Her character handled this in a way that was true to life. In fact the characterisations of Stellvia were better than any other anime I've recently seen (I personally can identify at least 5 or 6 real individuals who were well depicted by each of the central characters). The problem is, so many people are too busy being LIKE them to bother to UNDERSTAND them! :) (I'm not being mean, just being old) - I mean seriously, wait another few years, and watch it when you've grown up a bit more (not saying anyone is immature - we are all growing up, our whole lives) - the immaturity of mankind and the process of growing up were central themes. Hence my third point (rellevant not just to this thread)

3) why are so many people unable to understand whats going on, and so unwilling to recognise that its more than the shallow rubbish that is all they can percieve? I consider life to be about growing and learning and becoming more than what you were. If you can't see beyond your own perception relating to fiction, how can you in life? "Use everything you can on your road to wisdom"

*Ok, I'll be quiet now* (the old fart hobbles back to his recliner in the corner)

The Yellow Dwarf
2004-08-29, 03:17
I love Stellvia. I think it's probably one of the most intense shows I've seen in the last year, there's always tension in the air and I never knew how the plot is going to turn out. I was also really glad to see some characters with real and serious personality faults and real problems in an anime and not just the typical teenage angst crap (strangely though, my favorite character in the series is Ayaka, who should be the most unlikeable character). Stellvia is also probably one of the most optimistic anime I've ever seen. I nearly cried (or maybe I really did) at the last episode, when all the characters worked together to protect everything and the music started (!oh that's gotta be one of the greatest background music ever) and the drawing turned to scribbles. It was like the anime was shouting: "thing's will be alright, we'll be fine no matter how bad the odds." It's just got this confidence and faith in humanity that I've not seen since Fruits Basket.

ShinDragon
2004-08-29, 04:41
Man.......... Amazon have these 2 series mixed up!!
Wrong pictures.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002IQNK6/qid=1093768842/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-2461666-9134243?v=glance&s=dvd
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002IQHKC/qid=1093768915/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-2461666-9134243?v=glance&s=dvd

Thursday
2004-09-22, 08:56
Sorry, for this, but I figured it's the only place to ask. How good is this anime, really? I've heard so many people claim it to be the greatest anime ever...

NoSanninWa
2004-09-22, 17:04
Sorry, for this, but I figured it's the only place to ask. How good is this anime, really? I've heard so many people claim it to be the greatest anime ever...
People also claim that about Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist, Sailor Moon, Cowboy Bebop, Saint Seiya and Princess Tutu. Practically every anime has its die-hard fans. If you ask the question in a Stellvia thread you are likely to get a lot of people who agree with the claim.

Unfortunately Stellvia has a LOT of faults so I could never make that claim. I found many episodes to be quite annoying. I will say only that it was decent, but not good enough that I would recommend it to anyone. Of course many people here will disagree with me.

7thMethuselah
2004-09-22, 17:17
Unfortunately Stellvia has a LOT of faults so I could never make that claim. I found many episodes to be quite annoying. I will say only that it was decent, but not good enough that I would recommend it to anyone. Of course many people here will disagree with me.

Off course we disagree with you :D

Stellvia actually starts out quite well, the story is build around a certain threat facing earth. As the date approaches the anime gets more and more exciting. The problem is ; this threat is dealt with in episode 13 in a 26 episode series ... So after that part you are kinda lost, since the mian event has passed and you wonder where the story is going now. The show then has to restart completely, which made for a few lesser episodes between 13-20 (probably the reason some people aren't as enthousiastic about it as I am) but 21-26 are very good again.

As NoSanninWa said : the weaknesses are mostly in episodes 13-20 : for a while there doesn't appear to be a main story, and alot of side events happen which make you believe that they are the main story but they aren't.
I'm talking about the suggested sabotage here, or the possibility of war between stations which was suggsted, and even the aliens and the battle with them, the weird relationship between Shippon and her boyfriend
After that it improves and all the good things from the first half return.

Another thing some people probably didn't like is that Stellvia is a scifi anime with almost no space battles, no alien invasions, now ar etc. So anyone expecting a star wars like action anime is in for a huge surprise.

What I really loved about Stellvia was the positive view towards humanity. in contrary to our own time, people aren't constantly backstabbing each other, fighting over futile things and are actually able to unite to face a common threat.
Also I loved the story and characters (especially Shippon and her over energetic friend Alyssa.

In short : for me personally Stellvia was an excellent anime, I think most people will like it but it certainly won't be in everyone's top 5 anime of all time.

NoSanninWa
2004-09-22, 17:28
Well described indeed. Of course you forgot one of the more annoying problems in Stellvia.
All the crying. How many episodes did Shippon spend crying?! One would have been alright and two would have been understandable, but it got mind-bendingly annoying after that.

Also, I didn't think that the second half of the show ever became as interesting as the first half. And I didn't enjoy the first half as much as you because I didn't find the characters nearly as engaging.

I will agree that the positive outlook on humanity was extremely refreshing. That's pretty much all that kept me coming back to watch each episode. Altogether, I didn't think it was an especially good anime, but I didn't think it was especially bad either. It was kind've mediocre. Fun to watch, but ultimately forgettable unless you really like the characters.

Thursday
2004-09-22, 18:11
Okay, thanks for the help.

Burner of Anime
2004-09-22, 21:42
The strong parts in Stellvia is how they portray an near utopian society in the a future without war, a united humanity against an impending danger and what they plan to do afterwards with a new generation. It is believable in it's own set of rules and the world they have established. Where it is weak is of course how often all the king's men have to put together the lead's ego and psyche after she falls off the wall. The other poor spot is the anti-climax [which felt rather rushed] and did nothing to really advance the characters. Did anyone mention how ugly some of the mecha designs are????

It's still an outstanding show for it's year but definately not the best ever made/see IMO. But if you were to watch this show, look at it for Yayoi :love: She just stole the limelight from everyone else just for having a lot of charisma and zero character flaws :bow:

jayj713
2006-09-14, 16:54
infinity = the ugliest robot ive ever seen.

Forbin
2006-09-14, 19:25
Lol what a dead thread to resurrect.

As the teacher says over and over

Infinity is NOT A ROBOT! It's a spaceship that looks like a robot.

Rin-Sama
2006-09-14, 19:30
I LOVE THIS SERIES!!! It came out exactly 1 week before my 22nd B-day and i have been tring to collect all the episode since.

(I only have vols 1, 2, 3, 7, and 8)

jayj713
2006-09-14, 19:32
Lol what a dead thread to resurrect.

As the teacher says over and over

Infinity is NOT A ROBOT! It's a spaceship that looks like a robot.

yea my bad :D one ugly spaceship :P

Forbin
2006-09-14, 20:17
I LOVE THIS SERIES!!! It came out exactly 1 week before my 22nd B-day and i have been tring to collect all the episode since.

(I only have vols 1, 2, 3, 7, and 8)
Did you know there is a 10 Geneon DVDs for $50 deal right on Rightstuf?

Samygent
2006-10-23, 14:14
pray pray pray......... for a third season

Forbin
2006-10-23, 16:37
pray pray pray......... for a third season

Actually the director was quoted that there will NOT be a third season. I guess stupid politics are in play just like Hand Maid Mai.

DoReMiFaSo
2006-10-26, 18:20
I thought I heard a rumour saying that there will be a sequel to this show with Shima's brother being the main character. But it was a long time ago. Don't know if it's true or not.

Dirty-jin
2006-10-28, 19:10
I thought I heard a rumour saying that there will be a sequel to this show with Shima's brother being the main character. But it was a long time ago. Don't know if it's true or not.

I cant remember from what source i've heard it from, but it got cancelled than again u never know what will be coming out next. Just recently Gainax has mention, that it will making more NGE something ive never expected:heh: ....so therefore there is a good change in the distant future.:p

kauldron26
2006-10-29, 03:56
worst thing about stellvia?? the friggin art... it was just atrocious...

ccardoso
2006-10-29, 04:43
worst thing about stellvia?? the friggin art... it was just atrocious...
The art was fantastic instead... it was one of the best things about this anime, along with its music.

Shikimori Kazuki
2007-01-31, 23:21
Just asking, Is there even going to be a 2nd season coming from them? I have head they cancel it and some say is delayed? Which is true?:eyespin:

NoSanninWa
2007-01-31, 23:42
It seems to be suffering the torments of the damned in the hell of shows that are indefinitely delayed, but not yet cancelled. We do not yet know if it will escape that hell alive, but only a few ever return from that benighted zone.

In other words, keep your fingers crossed, but don't bet any money on it.

aardvark
2007-01-31, 23:49
It seems to be suffering the torments of the damned in the hell of shows that are indefinitely delayed, but not yet cancelled. We do not yet know if it will escape that hell alive, but only a few ever return from that benighted zone.

In other words, keep your fingers crossed, but don't bet any money on it.
Actually Tatsuo Sato (the director) already said quite some time ago that the sequel to Stellvia won't be happening. This was mentioned in 2004 or 2005 IIRC.

NoSanninWa
2007-02-01, 00:24
Ah. It seems that it has already fallen from the half-life of indefinitely delayed. Thank you. A sad tear falls.

Shikimori Kazuki
2007-02-01, 00:55
^ Ah thanks for the confirmation:). Sad to hear it really, is nice to see an anime once in awhile where it takes place in the future and utilizes technology to prevent space disasters. My heart leap when I heard a season 2 but drop rock-bottom when it was cancelled.

The ending was okay for me. However, it didnt confirm much at all. Like for example, how will Shinpon's brother will fair later on. Will he be following his sister's path as well and what other future events awaits the them and their new executive leaders aka Shima, Arisa, Ayaka etc.

Well, it was a decent anime to watch, enjoyed it throughout the series, *sniffed* abit here and there, maybe because it was Shima's crying bits that affected me:heh:. Well, jsut hope something similar to this will pop up in the future again. :)

lillaziboi
2007-08-08, 07:58
@.@ this series made me pull an all nighter... did the director ever give a reason as to y it won't be happening?

i didn't really like the ending of the last episode >.> :S was it made like that w/ s2 in mind? cuz that doesn't really seem like an ending to a series

i really wanna kill the director for canceling s2...

Forbin
2007-08-08, 14:06
Season 2 was supposed to happen, but a difference between the Studio and the director (I guess each owns half of the license) made it impossible. Or at least the director said it was impossible.

Another great example of Studio / Director issues is Hand Maid May 2 (AKA Hand Maid Mai). Wonderfarm went out of business and the license is in a legal battle.

lillaziboi
2007-08-08, 22:18
i thought there is a hand maid mai, it was released wasn't it? http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=1836

so basically, stellvia won't happen :(

if they somehow reconcile or one of the parties win the complete license then there is a possibility of a s2? :P

Forbin
2007-08-09, 09:14
Hand Maid Mai Episode 1 ends with (Next Episode, May visits!)

Then right after that, Wonderfarm issues a statement that the work for episode 2 and 3 are done but they won't be released until the legal battle is resolved .

It's been 3+ years...... /sigh

So yes, basically the director stating Stellvia won't happen means that he will not make it and he owns part of it. :(

Marina
2007-08-12, 14:05
Ack, I'm so sad now. I pulled on all-nighter on this anime as well, not to mention watching it over again a couple of times. I've never seen a series quite like it (kindof reminds me of Ender's Game? Just a little) and was really hoping for a continuation. *sigh* I guess we're all doomed to re-watching the first whenever we get Stellvia cravings. :(

Skyfall
2008-01-17, 19:12
I had been putting this show away of for quite a while, but finally decided to sit down and watch it. I am fairly pleased with the result i got, and the fact it took me only two days to finish it says i enjoyed it quite a bit. It started out somewhat slow, but grew on me quickly. Thats not to say the show is without flaws though ...

ultimately i think it was too long for its own good. It had very good episodes; ones that left me wanting more, and right now. But there were also episodes where i felt things were dragging too much and i wished they would finally get it over and done with ... this is especially true for the second part of the show.

The overall optimistic (unreasonably so ?) tone of the show didn't bother me, and as far as SciFi goes the overall plot might well be close to my favorites. Yet at times i the show seemed to lose itself, getting entangled in repetitive problems and interactions. In fact everything past Second Wave seemed somewhat of a "rinse and repeat" of the same. What annoyed me the most was the relationship between Kouta and Shima. I liked how it started of and the positive note it took. I expected some complications, so i was perfectly fine when those arrived in form of Shima's insecurities of her being a burden on Kouta in missions; them having different experiences from same things and the like.

But the show just went on without bothering to actually address the issue, yet kept hammering on it all the time without adding anything new to the mix. It simply became tedious watching them beat on the same dead horse for 6+ episodes ... the conflict became nothing but frustrating Deja Vu and watching it was like pulling teeth - painfully unrewarding. It simply started to look silly and artificially drawn out for no good reason, besides the show itself seemingly not knowing how to solve it. So we get a two year timeskip to find out the issue has been somehow solved ... geez, i could have used at least a making up scene for enduring the conflict so long.

Can't say Kouta's actions were that consistent either ...before and during the "Christmas Holiday" he seemed to go out of his way as far as paying attention to Shima was concerned, but afterwards he almost seemed to put in extra effort of not noticing her enough, if at all ... you can say there were other things popping up at the time, but his acting towards Shima seemed almost purposely inattentive. Not like this is uncommon for a lot of shows that are trying for drama on the romance side though.

The face-palm worthy part of the romance aside, i am rather pleased this show had romance that went somewhere at all, and surprisingly i am pleased how Shima reacted to it (before the draggy part kicked in) - a bit shy about it, but not unreasonably so and not trying to deny it in front of a crowd. It was kind of cute actually.

The overall pacing of the show seems uneven ... the plot moves forward relatively fast, but most of the time is occupied with character interactions that, while good, tend to become tedious and repetitive. 26 episodes just might have been a wee bit too much for this.

What disappointed me was the last episode though ...first half of it felt very awkward in terms of character interactions; they felt clumsily written and the whole episode seemed to have lost its spark. It pulled together though, but sadly for a very underwhelming finish to what was supposed to be something on an epic scale. Though this can probably be attributed to the show failing to set up a sense of real urgency and tension.

And lastly ...whats the deal with the aliens ? So unexplored and not explained it almost seems a random insertion to provide the cast of the show with the idea that sacrificing a Foundation can harm the anomaly, thus providing a way for the ending to be more "grand" by sacrificing the foundations.

When all is said and done i enjoyed Stellvia quite a bit. I like the setting and the characters for the most part, as well as the plot that i found interesting overall. For managing such a large cast they did fairly well and although it has some bad points the good ones outshine it by far.

The CGs were nice and the spaceship animation was nice and the dogfight flying was generally quite cool; visually quite the satisfying experience ... Shipon was the only character whose design seemed somewhat weird to me though.

7.5/10

P.S - the OP sequence is terribly uninspiring ... i like the song though :)

Forbin
2008-01-17, 19:52
Wow this is an old thread.

They didn't explain Kouta enough, it was POOF he's a super user.

Stellvia 2 was always planned, but unfortunately the director and the producer (Who each owned a share) parted ways and vowed to never finish Stellvia.

Guardian Enzo
2008-01-17, 21:53
Massive crying/episode ratio.

gonzo562
2008-01-25, 15:54
i didnt like this anime watched the first few episodes. Just didnt get me hooked on it

Marina
2008-01-25, 16:11
Awww, I think it deserves more than just a few episodes to really appreciate it *shrug*
but to each their own! I love this anime ^_^ Just wish there was a second season.

JediNight
2008-01-30, 19:09
This is one of my all-time favorite shows. I don't know why exactly, as it's not the greatest show ever. But it has memorable characters, a pleasant plot, a future that for once isn't totally dark, and it just resonates with me. I got the LE box tin and completed my set years ago, so luckily I dodged a bullet with Geneon going under. angela also does a lot of wonderful OP/ED music for XEBEC.

As for the Stellvia 2nd season and Tatsuo Sato: The "impossible" he uses in Japanese on the blog post about cancelling S2 is murky at best. I forget the exact word used, but basically it's not a 100% impossible ever, but an "impossible for the forseeable future" kinda thing. So there is still some scant hope he could reconcile with XEBEC or allow them to make a S2 for the sake of all the Stellvia fans out there, even if he wasn't involved.

Surprise surprise that I love Shigofumi and it is also directed by Tatsuo Sato :)

reaper_unique
2011-06-12, 12:37
Yes, I know this is a serious bump but I just have to get a second opinion about this because it bothers me >_<
In the final episode we see Yayoi piloting Halcyon, how should I take this? is Halcyon still Shipon's (well not really hers of course) or...?

P.S.: Rage that we don't get a sequel!