View Full Version : All about Haruhi Suzumiya (涼宮ハルヒ) 2006 Edition
This is a list of the commonly asked questions regarding the religion that is Suzumiya Haruhi (also known as Haruhiism). This list is not designed to be exhaustive; it is here to cover the basics of Suzumiya Haruhi and the SOS団 without 'spoiling' too much of the plot or premise of the series.
This FAQ is divided up into sections; the first is for general Suzumiya Haruhi information, the second details information regarding the plot of the series, and contains spoilers, and the third is for frequent questions regarding the either the anime in general or specific parts of the anime.
While I have made an effort to hide or avoid any spoilers in this document, it is possible (even for me) to make mistakes, and thus I do not guarantee that this FAQ will not reveal information you might consider "spoily".
You have been warned.
The Suzumiya Haruhi and SOS団 FAQ - Revision One
Section One - General Suzumiya Haruhi Information
What/Who is Suzumiya Haruhi?
Suzumiya Haruhi (涼宮ハルヒ) is a novel, serialised in a seinen （青年？）magazine. Suzumiya Haruhi is also a main character in this series. This information is provided by NeoSam (http://forums.animesuki.com/member.php?u=20461) in the Suzumiya Haruhi thread. Finally, Suzumiya Haruhi is also on object of worship or idolism for the religion/cult movement known as Haruhiism.
What is the SOS団 (SOS Brigade)?
The SOS団 is a high-school club, formed by Suzumiya Haruhi, which participates in "unknown activities". SOS団 stands for Sekai wo Ooini moriagerutame no Suzumiya haruhi no 団 (dan); this translates roughly to Suzumiya Haruhi's Brigade for Saving the World by Overloading it with Fun. The members of the SOS団 include Suzumiya Haruhi, Kyon, Asahina Mikuru, Nagato Yuki and Koizumi Itsuki.
What versions of Suzumiya Haruhi exist?
Suzumiya Haruhi, as previously mentioned, exists as a serialised novel. More recently, the story of the SOS団 has been adapted as both an anime and a manga; one of which is likely to be the reason you're here.
Why can I find TWO manga?
There was a brief incident involving an earlier manga adaptation of Suzumiya Haruhi, but it has been dusted away under the rug of time and is not to be spoken of again. Once more volumes of the manga are released, the problem of some people finding two manga should dissipate.
What is Suzumiya Huruhi no Yuustsu, then?
This is both the title of the anime and the name of the first volume of Suzumiya Haruhi. It translates roughly to The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, and can be written as 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 .
Section Two - Specific Suzumiya Haruhi Information - May Contain Spoilers
What is Kyon's real name?
We are never told Kyon's full name. In fact, we don't even find out he's called Kyon until episode two of the anime. Of course, this lack of a complete name has caused some speculation and discussion as to who, or what, Kyon is. If you have a theory you want to share, you can post it in the Future Episode Synopses/Series Predictions thread.
Is Suzumiya Haruhi serious about aliens, espers, etc?
Yes, she is.
What's up with the official website, http://www.haruhi.tv/?
This is the hompage of the SOS団 as it is described in the novels. It may be of interest to note that the images are drawn by Hirano Aya herself (Suzumiya's seiyuu).
What's the deal with the anime? I watched the first episode and it looks like a joke!
Well, it's supposed to. The first episode of the anime covers an amateur movie that the SOS団 makes in volume two of the novels. Rather brilliantly, I might add.
Did the cat really talk?
Well, Nagato tells us it was ventriloquism...
Yes, the cat really did talk. His name is Shamisen, and yes, he is a male calico.
Then the Mikuru Beam...
Was unexpected and unplanned. Does Nagato strike you as the type to attack Mikuru over nothing?
So, how would a talking cat and the like be possible?
Well, since a good film budget probably isn't the likely explanation...
Suzumiya Haruhi has the power to change reality. She doesn't realise this, of course.
Section Three - Specific Anime Information
- Alternative Episode Viewing Order
Episode "1" : ? (14?)
Episode "2" : 1st episode
Episode "3" : 2nd episode
Episode "4" : 7th episode
Episode "5" : 3rd episode
Episode "6" : 9th episode
Episode "7" : 8th episode
Ugg...I think I got the orders of the novels all wrong...can someone tell me the order of the volumes?
I'm just going to type up a timeline here just for the heck of it (since Moon Phase conveniently created one as well).
Suzumiya Haruhi series
第一巻: 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 (6/6/2003)
Volume 1: Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (Suzumiya Haruhi's Melancholy)
第二巻: 涼宮ハルヒの溜息 (9/30/2003)
Volume 2: Suzumiya Haruhi no Tameiki (Suzumiya Haruhi's Sigh)
第三巻: 涼宮ハルヒの退屈 (12/27/2003)
Volume 3: Suzumiya Haruhi no Taikutsu (Suzumiya Haruhi's Boredom)
第四巻: 涼宮ハルヒの消失 (7/31/2004)
Volume 4: Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu (Suzumiya Haruhi's Evanescence)
第五巻: 涼宮ハルヒの暴走 (9/30/2004)
Volume 5: Suzumiya Haruhi no Bousou (Suzumiya Haruhi's Overdrive)
第六巻: 涼宮ハルヒの動揺 (3/31/2005)
Volume 6: Suzumiya Haruhi no Douyou (Suzumiya Haruhi's Agitation)
第七巻: 涼宮ハルヒの陰謀 (8/31/2005)
Volume 7: Suzumiya Haruhi no Inbou (Suzumiya Haruhi's Conspiracy)
第八巻: 涼宮ハルヒの憤慨 (5/1/2006)
Volume 7: Suzumiya Haruhi no Fungai (Suzumiya Haruhi's Resentment)
(titles in italic are stories that span the entire volume)
April ~ May
+ 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu) [From: 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱, vol.1](Episode 2, 3, 5 (1, 2, 3))
+ 涼宮ハルヒの退屈 (Suzumiya Haruhi no Taikutsu) [From: 涼宮ハルヒの退屈, vol.3] (Episode 4 (7))
- 笹の葉ラプソディ (Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody) [From: 涼宮ハルヒの退屈, vol.3]
- ミステリックサイン (Mysterious Sign) [From: 涼宮ハルヒの退屈, vol.3]
- 孤島症候群 (Lone Island Syndrome) [From: 涼宮ハルヒの退屈, vol.3]
- エンドレスエイト (Endless Eight) [From: 涼宮ハルヒの暴走, vol.5]
- 涼宮ハルヒの溜息 (Suzumiya Haruhi no Tameiki) [From: 涼宮ハルヒの溜息, vol.2]
- ライブアライブ (Live A Live) [From: 涼宮ハルヒの動揺, vol.6]
- 朝比奈ミクルの冒険 Episode 00 (Asahina Mikuru no Bouken Episode 00) [From: 涼宮ハルヒの動揺, vol.6] (Episode 1 (0))
- 射手座の日 (The Day of Sagittarius) [From: 涼宮ハルヒの暴走, vol.5]
+ 涼宮ハルヒの消失 (Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu) [From: 涼宮ハルヒの消失, vol.4]
+ ヒトメボレLOVER (Charmed at First Sight LOVER) [From: 涼宮ハルヒの動揺, vol.6]
+ 雪山症候群 (Snow Mountain Syndrome) [From: 涼宮ハルヒの暴走, vol.5]
+ 猫はどこに行った？ (Where Did The Cat Go?) [From: 涼宮ハルヒの動揺, vol.6]
+ 朝比奈みくるの憂鬱 (Asahina Mikuru no Yuutsu) [From: 涼宮ハルヒの動揺, vol.6]
+ 涼宮ハルヒの陰謀 (Suzumiya Haruhi no Inbou) [From: 涼宮ハルヒの陰謀, vol.7]
+ 編集長★一直線！ (Editor In Chief ★ Straight Ahead!) [From: 涼宮ハルヒの憤慨, vol.8]
+ ワンダリング・シャドウ (Wandering Shadow) [From: 涼宮ハルヒの憤慨, vol.8]
+ 涼宮ハルヒ劇場 (Suzumiya Haruhi Theater) [From: The Sneaker 2004 August issue, not yet compiled]
+ 帰ってきた涼宮ハルヒ劇場 (The Return of Suzumiya Haruhi Theater) [To be published: The Sneaker 2006 June issue]
Tanigawa Nagaru (谷川流) : Author of the light seinen novel Suzumiya Haruhi.
Year of birth: 1970
His works until now are light seinen(young men's) novels.
His works for now are:
Suzumiya Haruhi (涼宮ハルヒ)
Covers of volumes: in this post (http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=528926&postcount=6).
Serialized in: The Sneaker
Published under the label Sneaker Bunko.
* Novel is still ongoing.
Dengeki!! Aegis 5 (電撃!! イージス５)
Covers of volumes:
Serialized in: Dengeki Moeoh
Published under the label Dengeki Bunko.
* 2 volumes and finished.
The Despairing Ones - The Closed World (絶望系 閉じられた世界)
Cover of volume:
Published under the label Dengeki Bunko.
The Guardian of my World (ボクのセカイをまもるヒト)
Cover of volumes:
Serialized in: Dengeki Maoh
Published under the label Dengeki Bunko.
* Novel is still ongoing.
Escape from the School! (学校を出よう！)
Cover of volumes:
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/7876/wzoivol15fj.jpg http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/9782/wzoivol26oz.jpg http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/6378/wzoivol38fz.jpg http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/5469/wzoivol43as.jpg http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/9985/wzoivol54zi.jpg http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/2258/wzoivol65dw.jpg
Published under the label Dengeki Bunko.
Magazines and labels:
The Sneaker: a seinen novel magazine (serializes light novels for young men).
Sneaker Bunko: light novels published under this label are aimed at male audience.
Dengeki Moeoh: a seinen manga magazine (serializes mostly moe~ manga and few moe~ novels).
Dengeki Maoh: a new seinen manga magazine.
Dengeki Bunko: novels and other stuff(fan books, artbooks) that are published under this label are aimed at young men (more accurately: male otakus).
Source: Wikipedia (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E8%B0%B7%E5%B7%9D%E6%B5%81), Baka-Tsuki (http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index.php?title=Tanigawa_Nagaru), MediaWorks (http://www.mediaworks.co.jp/), Kadokawa (http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/)
Illustrator's works will be posted soon. (Illustrator of Suzumiya Haruhi: Itou Noiji)
To novel readers, especially those reading the translated wiki project, here's a spoiler-free chronological timeline to guide you on what you need to read without missing anything. Bold indicates major plot development worth reading in order to understand what happens next.
Volume 3 - The Boredom of Suzumiya Haruhi
Volume 3 - Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody (ties in with volume 4)
Volume 3 - Mysterique Sign
Volume 5 - Endless Eight
Volume 3 - Lone Island Syndrome
Volume 6 - LIVE ALIVE
Volume 6 - Asahina Mikuru's Adventure Episode 00
Volume 5 - The Day of Sagittarius
Volume 6 - Charmed at First Sight LOVER
Volume 5 - Snow Mountain Syndrome (lose sequel to Lone Island Syndrome)
Volume 6 - Where Did the Cat Go? (lose sequel to Lone Island Syndrome)
Volume 6 - The Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru (ties in with volume 7)
Volume 8 - Editor in Chief★Straight Ahead!
Volume 8 - Wandering Shadow
More detailed timeline found below.
The second volume of the light novel The Guardian of my World (ボクのセカイをまもるヒト) by Tanigawa Nagaru got out on June 2006.
Here its cover:
Seinen light novel
Serialized in: Dengeki Maoh
Published under the label Dengeki Bunko.
All of Tanigawa Nagaru's works (the author of Suzumiya Haruhi light novel) can be seen in this post (http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=542588&postcount=3) (the third post of this thread).
Big Bang - Data Entities begin their existence since the formation of the universe; they merged with one another as they gathered even more data. These data entities eventually evolve into the Integrated Data Sentient Entity (情報統合思念体) and its rival, the Canopy Domain (天蓋領域). (Volume 1, 7, 9) (Note: Translated English names for these alien entities are tentative and not final. )
Circa 280 million years BH (Before Haruhi) - At some point, part of the data entities branched off to evolve into an “imperfect form”, due to their “imperfect form”, they were soon eliminated by natural selection. But one survived and ended up hibernating in pre-historic Earth, waiting for its chance to re-emerge. (Volume 3 – Mysterique Sign)
Circa 300 years ago (1702CE, 15th year of the Genroku Emperor)Tsuruya Yauemon, the eccentric patriarch of the Tsuruya clan, the local landlord, stumbles upon a mysterious metallic device made of Titanium alloys. The device was made with technology that was obviously far ahead of his time. Feeling uneasy with this device, he hides it in a vase and buries it in the Tsuruya clan's private hill, under a gourd-shaped rock. He draws up a treasure map for his descendants in case they're interested in this "treasure". (Volume 7)
14 BH – Tsuruya-san born
13 BH – Suzumiya Haruhi born, Kyon born, Koizumi Itsuki born, Taniguchi and Kunikida as well. Also including the "anti-SOS" Sasaki and Tachibana Kyoko around this year.
8 BH – Kyon’s sister born
~1-3 BH – Kyon’s grandmother called him by his present nickname, his sister helped spread it, and the name stuck (Volume 1)
0AH (After Haruhi)
Before March – Haruhi is still in elementary school. One day, her father took her to a baseball game. It is here when she realized how insignificant humans are in this universe.
April – Haruhi enrols at East Junior High. She begins her “eccentric” quest to search for aliens, time travellers, dimension travellers, and espers.
At this time, Haruhi’s hidden powers were awaken, this causes the following:
1. As a mere human, Haruhi is able to create tons of data that cannot be processed in a human lifetime. The Integrated Data Sentient Entity is very interested in this new stream of data, as it believes these data, once analyzed, could hold the key for its own evolution.
As the Integrated Data Entity is incapable of speech, it has created many Living Humanoid Interfaces, including Nagato Yuki and Asakura Ryoko, to interact with humans and observe Haruhi from a close distance. Both Yuki and Ryoko stay in the high-class apartment block near the local train station in “Stand-By” mode, preparing to enter the high school Haruhi enters three years from now.
1-2. It is not yet known whether the Canopy Domain, an alien entity with a different agenda from the Integrated Data Entity, has made its move during this time. (Volume 7, 9)
2. Haruhi is also able to create a massive timequake, creating a huge time fault between the present time plane and the previous time planes. The time travellers from the future are thus unable to travel any further before this year. The future authorities sent specialists to investigate, but are unable to find out why, save that Haruhi is the culprit.
2-2. There exists another group of time-travellers with a totally different unknown agenda than the above. Though they too owe their existence to this event.(Volume 7, 9)
3. Koizumi Itsuki and 9 others suddenly have supernatural powers. They and other humans also suddenly become aware of Haruhi’s ability to affect the reality and form the "Organization" (機関). [One of the benefactors to the "Organization" is the Tsuruya clan. Though Tsuruya-san herself seems oblivious to this. (Volume 7)]
Every time Haruhi feels depressed, a Sealed Dimension is created randomly, in which blue giants “Shinjins” wreak havoc. If these “Shinjins” continue to their destruction, then their destruction would manifest itself in the real world. Koizumi and his companions job is to use their powers inside these Sealed Dimensions and destroy these “Shinjins”. The ‘Organization’ sent various agents to observe Haruhi.
3-2. There exist another group of espers and humans, who believe their powers originated from another person - a girl in Kyon's junior high called Sasaki. They believe Sasaki's divine powers have somehow been transferred into Haruhi, and they seek to "correct" this phenomenon. For this reason, they are constantly at odds with the "Organization". These espers too can enter Sealed Dimensions, however, these dimensions are stable domains created by Sasaki, and do not cause harm to this world. (Volume 7,9)
The above three main forces are often at odds with each other concerning Haruhi, though the reason is not yet known to the readers. (Volume 2)
The three forces are also splintered into various sub-factions, fighting amongst each other. However, it will be the "mainstream faction" of these three forces that would approach Haruhi.
The opposing three forces have their various agendas, and it is primarily the rival espers that seek to ally themselves with the other two to set Sasaki up as an "anti-Haruhi". (Volume 9)
July 7th (Tanabata Festival) –
8:30pm – Kyon from three years later (“Alternate World” December 20th, 3AH) arrives at this time plane, he realizes where he is and rushes to the park and hides awaiting his other self to arrive. (Volume 4)
9:00pm – Another Kyon and Mikuru from three years later (July 7th, 3AH) arrive at this time plane at the park near the station. Mikuru then falls unconscious, thanks an even future Mikuru (Kyon calls her Mikuru (Big)). (Volume 3, Bamboo Rhapsody)
9:05pm – Mikuru (Big) urges Kyon to carry Mikuru (Small) to East Junior High and assist the person at the gate there. Kyon, with Mikuru (small) walks westwards towards East Junior High (Volume 3, Bamboo Rhapsody)
9:10pm – Mikuru (Big) walks slowly eastwards, the other Kyon (Kyon2 here, for simplicity’s sake) runs up to her and explains his situation. Mikuru (Big) then has a conversation with Kyon2, and requests his and Yuki’s help to restore the future timeline. (Volume 4)
9:30pm – Kyon, carrying Mikuru (Small), arrives at East Junior High and finds a younger Haruhi trying to get inside her school. Kyon decides to help Haruhi draw the signs on school’s courtyard, using white chalk powder tied onto a trolley by Haruhi. The sign in alien language, according to Yuki’s interpretation some time in the future to Kyon, reads “I am here.” (Volume 3, Bamboo Rhapsody)
9:35pm – Haruhi asks for Kyon’s name, Kyon calls himself “John Smith”. Haruhi then walks home. Mikuru (Small) wakes up and finds her time travelling device, the Time Plane Destroy Device (TPDD), is missing. (It was Mikuru (Big) that took it away, since this occurrence was “inevitable”)
Kyon remembers the drawings on the bookmark Yuki gave him before he and Mikuru (Small) departed from the future. He has a hunch Yuki is also here in this time plane, and decides to go and ask this Yuki (on Stand-By mode) for help. (Volume 3, Bamboo Rhapsody)
9:40pm – Kyon2 and Mikuru (Big) decide to visit Yuki, but they have to wait for Kyon and Mikuru (Small) to visit Yuki first. So Kyon2 goes towards the street and sees Haruhi walking off, and shouted, according to his memory, “Please take good care of John Smith, who will shake the world!”
Haruhi will remember this line, and eventually tells “John Smith” about this in an alternate future 3 years from now. (Volume 4)
9:45pm – Kyon and Mikuru (Small) visits the Yuki here and explains their situation. Yuki “connects” with her future self and verifies Kyon’s story, and decides to help Kyon and Mikuru (Small). She has them sleep together in a futon in a room, she then freezes the time in the room and puts them in stasis, only to unfreeze them three years later. (Volume 3, Bamboo Rhapsody)
10:00pm – Kyon2 and Mikuru (Big) visits Yuki. Yuki tries “connecting” with her future self again, but is unable to, since her future self has selectively blocked connection for some reason. Yuki decides Kyon2’s story is true and assists him as well, but she can’t travel with them back to the future, as she has to take care of the frozen Kyon and Mikuru (Small).
She injects nano-machines into Kyon and Mikuru, so they won’t be affected by the “reality change” caused by the culprit on December 18th, 3AH. She also creates a nano-machine gun, this gun is to be injected into the culprit’s body in order to restore the future reality to its original state.
She then reveals who the culprit is – her future self. (More on December 18th, 3AH entry) After that, Mikuru (Big) uses the TPDD she took from Mikuru (Small) and returns to the December 18th, 3AH with Kyon2. (Volume 4)
– Tsuruya-san enrols at North High.
- Kyon is in his third and final year at his junior high.
- To improve his grades, Kyon's mom has him enroll into a cram school. It is here that he becomes acquainted with Sasaki, a girl in the same class from his junior high.
- Kyon soon notices Sasaki has a habit of calling herself "boku" when speaking to guys and would often delve into philosophical topics.
- As it is faster for Kyon to stop by his house and then ride his bicycle to cram school, he offers to give Sasaki a ride. Hence they more or less become good friends, and the misconception that Kyon "likes weird girls" is born, despite them not developing any relationship beyond being friends.
- After graduation, Kyon and Sasaki would go into different schools, and they would not meet until a year later.
- Kyon enrols at North High and meets Haruhi for the first time.
- Haruhi enrolls at North High (most likely due to the face that “John Smith” was a North High student).
- Yuki and Ryoko begin their mission and enroll at North High as well.
- The future authorities send Mikuru to this time plane and she enrolls in North High to begin her mission of observing North High, befriending Tsuruya-san along the way.
- Kyon observes Haruhi’s eccentric behaviour for some time, then began having daily conversations with her before every day’s home room session, as he sits in front of her.
- One day, Kyon implants in Haruhi’s mind the idea of forming a club. Inspired by this, Haruhi forms the SOS Brigade. She “kidnaps” Mikuru and occupies the Literary Club room as their headquarters.
(Yuki has been “waiting” for them, as Kyon told her to 3 years ago. So she has an advantage over Ryoko, who tried unsuccessfully to actively engage with Haruhi.)
- The “Organization” arranges for Koizumi Itsuki transfer to North High to assist in their surveillance of Haruhi, whose mental state has begun to go unstable again, thanks to Kyon’s unwitting encouragement.
Haruhi decides to invite this “mysterious transfer student” to the SOS Brigade. (Koizumi was “shocked and terrified” when an excited Haruhi approached him and have him join the SOS Brigade, as he had originally planned to just secretly observe Haruhi. (Volume 5))
- Yuki, Mikuru and Koizumi all revealed their true identities to Kyon respectively, and explained their motives for gathering around Haruhi and observing her.
[ - Haruhi took the SOS Brigade one Sunday to search for anything mysterious. Kyon was paired with Mikuru in the morning (where she told him where she came from), while being paired with Yuki in the afternoon.
- As Kyon decided to bring Yuki to the library to kill time, Kyon's junior high classmate Nakagawa (whom Kyon doesn't even remember) walks past them and is instantly mesmerized by Yuki.
- What Nakagawa doesn't know is that he's a half-esper, being secretly considered as a candidate by Koizumi's "Organization". His latent powers allow him to partially sense the presence of the Integrated Data Entity within Yuki. He misinterprets this overwhelming inflow of data as "love at first sight" and becomes obsessed with her for the next six months.
(Volume 6, Crazy LOVER) ]
- One month since the formation of the SOS Brigade, and Haruhi begins to get depressed at the lack of mysterious and interesting events. More Sealed Dimensions are created as a result.
- Ryoko could no longer stand this status quo and decides to do something about it. She lures Kyon into a trap and tries to kill Kyon, in order to trigger a reaction from Haruhi. But she is thwarted by Yuki, who saved Kyon at the nick of time, and is eliminated by Yuki.
- Kyon then meets Mikuru (Big) (who showed him her star-shaped birthmark on her breast), she told Kyon not to “get too close with her”, and warns that something is about to happen, though she couldn’t reveal much, she gave Kyon a hint – Snow White
- Koizumi shows Kyon a Sealed Dimension, and the “Shinjins” as well as his powers in dealing with them. He says these dimensions have increased in frequency lately.
- One day, Haruhi’s depression drew both her and the person she wants to be with most – Kyon, into a Sealed Dimension. Koizumi manages to enter the dimension with great difficulty, and before disappearing, tells Kyon that Haruhi’s depression is leading her to decide to destroy the old world and create a new world.
Through the computer, Yuki leaves Kyon with another hint – Sleeping Beauty. Kyon understood the hint: to give Haruhi something to hope for in their original world so that she would not despair of it – him, so he “reluctantly” kisses her and they both re-awake back in their world. Though Haruhi thought it was all a bad dream afterwards.
– Haruhi is so bored she decides to have the SOS Brigade join the local baseball tournament. Halfway through their game with the Kamigahara Pirates, with the SOS Brigade one inning away from defeat, Haruhi’s frustrations create a Sealed Dimension.
Koizumi convinces Yuki to manipulate the “match data” to turn the game in the SOS Brigade’s favour in order to literally save the world. The SOS Brigade won the match eventually.
Kyon then convinces Haruhi to pull out (out of fear that Yuki’s manipulation won’t go unnoticed for long), Haruhi decides baseball’s boring and agrees. (She then wanted to join a soccer and American football tournament, but that’s another story.) (Volume 3, The Boredom of Suzumiya Haruhi)
July 7th (Tanabata Festival) – Haruhi brings in a bamboo shoot, she says it’s used for making wishes to the lovers of the Tanabata Festival.
After hanging their wishes on the bamboo shoot, Haruhi goes home. Mikuru then asks Kyon to stay behind and travel with her to the past three years ago. Before leaving, Yuki gives Kyon a bookmark with strange signs on it.
July 8th – Kyon and Mikuru wake up in Yuki’s room after being frozen for three whole years by Yuki, who has reanimated them. For Kyon, the sleep only took seconds.
(Volume 3, Bamboo Rhapsody)
- Haruhi creates a logo for the SOS Brigade website and uploads it to the web. Unbeknownst to her, the logo awakened the long hibernating “Imperfect Data Entity” and it begins to duplicate itself across the web using the logo as its physical manifestation.
It sucks in any user (total of 8, including the president of the Computer Society) who has seen the logo on the website and creates a dimension for it to reside in.
- Kimidori Emiri, a second year student, visits the SOS Brigade to ask for help to find her “boyfriend”, the Computer Society president.
The SOS Brigade visit the president’s apartment. Besides Haruhi, the rest discover the existence of a hidden dimension and visit it again after Haruhi went home.
They promptly rescued the unconscious president and destroyed this Imperfect Data Entity.
- They went and rescued the other 7 people who have visited the website. In order to stop the Data Entity from spreading again, Yuki had the logo slightly altered so that it reads “ZOZ” instead of “SOS”, though it’s barely noticeable.
- Kyon finds out that the Computer Society president never had a girlfriend, he wonders who Kimidori is.
He also realizes Yuki could have dealt with this all on her own, yet she let the whole SOS Brigade in on this. He began to wonder if Yuki is “lonely”.
(Volume 3, Mysterique Sign)
- In order to keep Haruhi from getting bored, Koizumi, with help from his companions from the “Organization” – Tamaru Keiichi and Tamaru Yutaka, Arakawa, and Mori Sonou, arranged a summer field trip for the SOS Brigade, with a secret murder mystery, in which everyone is nearly fooled into thinking Tamaru Keiichi has been murdered.
Though in the end, Kyon managed to figure out the truth. Haruhi seemed pretty satisfied with this game afterwards and puts Koizumi in charge of the murder mystery game for their coming winter field trip. (Volume 3, Lone Island Syndrome)
August 17th – August 31st
– After coming back from a trip with his family, Kyon got dragged into a flurry of activities by Haruhi in the last two weeks of summer holidays.
– Unwittingly, the whole world, with the exception of Yuki (and other Living Humanoid Interfaces probably), have been trapped in a time loop that repeats itself on August 17th, with everyone’s memories being completely reset (Yuki is not affected thanks to the omniscience of the Integrated Data Entity, which transcends time and space).
– The SOS Brigade members, due to their proximity to Haruhi, experiences some déjà vu from time to time. Whenever Mikuru realizes she has lost contact with her future, that is when the SOS Brigade realize they’re stuck in a time loop.
(Yuki says they’ve been in this time loop for 15,498 times already – i.e. 548 years, and this is the 6000+ time they’ve found out.) The reason they’re stuck is that Haruhi never seem to be completely satisfied with this summer vacation.
– Then on the 15,498th time, Kyon realizes what is missing – he invites the SOS Brigade to do their summer vacation homework together on the last day.
Haruhi, being the bright student that she is, never experienced doing homework with her friends, as she’s finished hers long ago. But since it’s Kyon that hasn’t completed her homework, she decides to “help out”, since she doesn’t want to be left out.
September 1st – Due to Haruhi now being satisfied with her summer vacation, the world has now broken free of the endless time loop and time moves forward again.
(Volume 5 – Endless Eight)
- Haruhi decides to make a SOS Brigade movie for the school festival, starring Mikuru, Yuki and Koizumi, with herself as director, producer and writer, and Kyon in charge of all the “menial tasks”, including being the camera man.
- Extras including Tsuruya-san, Kunikida and Taniguchi are brought in. Shamisen the cat is adopted by Kyon, under Haruhi’s orders.
- During the shooting of the movie, Haruhi unwittingly alters reality, these include: Mikuru beam (now rendered harmless with Yuki’s nano-machines), Shamisen talking, and pigeons turning their feathers white overnight.
- Eventually, Kyon got into a fight with Haruhi. Haruhi becomes so depressed that Koizumi fears for the worst and urges Kyon to make up with her. Kyon, for some reason unknown to him, decides to “cheer up” Haruhi.
However, this creates the opposite extreme, in which Haruhi could potentially create irreversible alterations on reality, as Haruhi is unable to distinguish her reality from the movie reality.
- Kyon is eventually able to find a simple solution during the editing of the movie – he convinces Haruhi to put a disclaimer at the end of the movie, declaring everything in the movie, including all the “special effects”, as “fiction”.
- Kyon half-guessed the movements of some underground clandestine activity between the three forces during the school festival – as they were all dressed in funny costumes, no one suspected them as they were believed to be in a play
- The movie, "Asahina Mikuru's Adventure Episode 00" is shown in the school festival with <strike>mixed</strike> great success (according to the director) after its showing in the Movie Club's theatre (they got coerced and blackmailed by Haruhi to show the movie ahead of their selection).
(Volume 6, Asahina Mikuru's Adventure Episode 00)
- Haruhi then spent the next few days during the School Festival (trying) to hand out SOS Brigade flyers in her bunny suit.
- On the last day, she came across a three girl rock band about to perform at the festival concert. Their lead singer and songwriter had suffered from tonsillitis that day and was unable to perform.
- The remaining band members were at a lost at what to do, when for some reason which even she herself couldn't explain, Haruhi decided to step in and help them.
- Haruhi listened to the audition tapes only three times and decided to be the lead singer. She enlisted the help of Yuki as the guitarist (which Yuki agreed and learnt instantly, in a matter of seconds).
- Haruhi and Yuki then performed in place of the band's lead singer (in their costumes, Haruhi in bunny suit, Yuki is magician suit).
- The audience were stunned by Haruhi's performance, but after Haruhi explained that she and Yuki were only stand-ins, they were even more amazed. If the stand-ins were already this good, then the original performance must be incredible. This resulted in the high demand for the band's audition tapes, and the band's career could now begin to take off.
- A few days later, the band members visited Haruhi's classroom to thank her from the bottom of their heart. Haruhi seemed uncomfortable at being thanked at, since she wasn't used to helping others before. But her waverings were swept away for now when she came up with a plan to form the SOS Band for next year's school festival.
(Volume 6 - LIVE ALIVE)
- To avenge their unjust humiliation at the hands of Haruhi, the Computer Society challenges the SOS Brigade to a duel on an online real-time strategy game, “The Day of Sagittarius”.
- If they win, then the SOS Brigade will need to hand over the computer Haruhi “obtained” from them. The odds seem to be against the SOS Brigade, the Computer Society even have the game rigged in their favour. However, they completely underestimated the potential of Yuki.
- The game seems to have ignited a passion in Yuki unseen before, and before long, she has turned the tables on the Computer Society and won the game for the SOS Brigade.
- The Computer Society begged for mercy from Haruhi, and pleaded with Yuki to come visit them time to time to show them her computer mastery.
- Kyon, seemingly understanding of Yuki’s “feelings”, urges her to take a break from observing Haruhi all the time and occasionally go “play the computer”.
(Volume 5, The Day of Sagittarius)
- During the Student Council Presidential election, Koizumi and the "Organization" handpicked a "stern-looking" person who would fit the role of a "stuck-up officious" President (while disregarding the fact that he's quite a delinquent and smokes often) and have him run for the position. The new President would provide a source for which Koizumi can "stir up trouble" for Haruhi and keep her mind occupied from other "weird ideas".
- At the same time, Kimidori Emiri, a Living Humanoid Interface just like Asakura and Yuki, manipulated reality for some reason and became the General Secretary of the Student Council.
(Volume 8, Editor in Chief★Straight Ahead!)
December 17th – Haruhi proposes a Christmas party to the SOS Brigade. Kyon doesn’t realize anything unusual at this moment.(Volume 4)
Note: From December 18th to December 20th, there exist two "versions" of reality. The first version is the one where the world is changed, the second version is the restored reality, which "overwrites" the first version, kind of like how a videotape or DVD-RW can be overwritten. Kyon is the only person with memories of having experienced BOTH versions.
- With a lot of “impure” data accumulating inside, Yuki begins to lose control of herself. Yuki doesn’t know it, but Kyon calls the “impure” data “emotions”, which Yuki seemed to lack but is beginning to lose control due to not being able to handle the overload of emotions.
- By somehow “stealing” Haruhi’s ability to alter reality, Yuki uses this power to change the fabric of reality, including herself. The best she could do to reduce this lost of control was to retain Kyon’s memories of this world.
- She also re-creates Asakura Ryoko to serve as a "protector" for her altered self.
- When Kyon wakes up and goes to school, he finds that the whole world is turned upside down. Haruhi has disappeared, so has Koizumi and his whole class. Mikuru is just a normal 2nd year student, and Yuki is just a quiet bookish girl. It seems Kyon is the only one with his memories intact.
- Kyon visits the Literary Club room again, where Yuki is. Yuki blushed time and again whenever Kyon looks at her.
- While examining the bookshelf, Kyon picked up the book which Yuki used to lend him in the original reality.
There he found a bookmark with a cryptic message from the original Yuki – an “escape program” to be activated in two days time once “the key” is obtained. This is Kyon’s only clue to return to his reality. He also notices how this Yuki blushes furiously when he stares at her and actually finds her cute.
- The Yuki here suddenly invites Kyon to her apartment. She tells Kyon about how she remembers Kyon at the library, though her memory is different from that of Kyon’s.
- Ryoko comes to visit and cooks dinner for Yuki, since Yuki lives all alone. Under Yuki's urging, Kyon stays behind to have dinner with them. He leaves, having see this Yuki smile.
- Kyon hears from Taniguchi, who was absent the other day, that Haruhi does indeed exist in this reality, only that she attends another school.
- Kyon rushes to that school, and finds her and Koizumi in the same school. Both their memories have been altered and they don’t recognize Kyon.
- In desperation, Kyon uses his final card, he tells Haruhi he is “John Smith” from three years ago.
- Haruhi didn’t question Kyon and believed him at once, since she does remember “John Smith” – Kyon now knows at least the past hasn’t been altered and has hopes again.
- After telling Haruhi and Koizumi his story, Haruhi decides to visit the “SOS Brigade” room. She enters the school with Koizumi and Kyon.
- Haruhi then “kidnaps” Mikuru, and with Koizumi and Kyon, entered the club room, where a surprised Yuki is waiting.
- With all “SOS Brigade” members in the room, the “key” to the “Escape Program” is activated in the old computer in the room.
- In order to escape, Kyon hits the “enter” key. This takes him back to July 7th, 0AH, where he will need to get the help of Mikuru (Big) and the past Yuki to restore the world.
- By executing the Escape Program, Kyon has effectively put an end to this version of reality by his future actions.
Here ends version 1
- Kyon (called Kyon-1 here) and Mikuru (Big) arrive from July 7th, 0AH and wait for the culprit, Yuki (called Yuki-1) to arrive and alter reality.
- Another Kyon (called Kyon-2), Yuki (called Yuki-2) and Mikuru (small) arrive from January 2nd, 4AH and hide in an invisibility barrier, preparing to make their move. (Volume 7 - Prologue)
- Kyon-1 and Mikuru (Big) confront Yuki-1, who has now become just a weak-willed bookish girl. Kyon-1 takes out the nano-machine gun that Yuki three years ago created for him.
- Ryoko appears and stabs Kyon-1 with a knife. Before Ryoko is able to finish Kyon-1 off, she is stopped by Yuki-2 and disintegrated once again. At which point, Kyon-2 and Mikuru (small) also make their move. (Volume 7 - Prologue)
- Mikuru (small), who is completely oblivious and just simply following Kyon's lead, panics and rushes to the fallen Kyon-1. In order to make sure she isn't seen by her past self, Mikuru (big) puts Mikuru (small) to sleep, and asks Kyon-2 to take care of her.(Volume 7 - Prologue)
- Kyon-2 apologizes to Kyon-1 before he passes out. Since Kyon-1 getting stabbed was "pre-determined".
- Yuki-2 picks up the nano-machine gun and shoots Yuki-1 with it without hesitation. Yuki-1 reverts back to her normal self. She requests "synchronization" with Yuki-2, to everyone's surprise - including Yuki-1, Yuki-2 refuses, because she "does not want to".(Volume 7 - Prologue)
-Yuki-2 says she will proceed to re-alter the world back to its original state, with some modifications. She heals Kyon-1's stab wound in no time as well.
- Mikuru (big) assists Kyon-2 and the sleeping Mikuru (small) back to January 1st, 4AH. (Though it's not mentioned, Yuki-2 probably remained behind and hid somewhere (most likely in Yuki 1's place) for the next few days while busy re-altering the world. )
- In this restored version, Haruhi is having a meeting with the SOS Brigade about the upcoming Christmas party.
- After the meeting, as the SOS Brigade walked down the stairs, Kyon-1 is seen tumbling down the stairs, much to the horror of Haruhi, Mikuru and Koizumi. Haruhi thought she saw a girl in the stairs, little did she knew that it was Yuki-2.
- Kyon-1 is knocked unconscious and is sent on an ambulance. Haruhi looked pale and Mikuru burst into tears, while Koizumi's smile simply disappeared as he begins to make arrangements for Kyon to be sent to a private ward by the "Organization".
- While in the middle of the dizzying time-travel forward in time, Kyon-2 manages to catch a glimpse of the above scene. He knows exactly why Yuki-1 was nowhere to be seen. Mikuru (big) then asks Kyon-2 to close his eyes again and he is whisked back to his time. (Volume 7 - Prologue)
- Kyon-1 remains in a coma in the hospital. Haruhi stays by Kyon's side all day.
- Kyon continues to sleep in his coma as Haruhi watches over him all day and night. With Koizumi and Mikuru taking turns to visit him as well.
From here onwards, the timeline will be derived from this "version 2".
(Volume 4 - Unless stated otherwise)
- Kyon finally wakes up. Koizumi told him what happened (the altered memory version). Everyone is glad, though Haruhi doesn’t show it.
- That night, Yuki came to visit Kyon alone. She apologizes to Kyon for all this trouble and says she may have to leave to prevent this from happening again.
- Kyon forgives Yuki for who she is, and threatens to provoke Haruhi (by telling her he’s “John Smith”) if the Integrated Data Entity decides to take Yuki away from the SOS Brigade. Yuki thanks Kyon for his help.
- Kyon realizes he needs to go back to December 18th some time in the future with Yuki and Mikuru in order to make sure this restored reality remains the way it is.
December 25th – SOS Brigade Christmas party, Haruhi declares the winter field trip will take place on the 30th.
- Tsuruya-san, who is invited to the party, has agreed to provide her mansion in the mountains as the venue for the field trip. Koizumi’s “Consortium” companions, Arakawa, Mori Sonou and the Tamaru brothers, will also help prepare the murder mystery.
Between December 25th and December 30th
- Kyon's junior high classmate, Nakagawa, unable to contain his passion for Yuki any longer, decides to ring Kyon up after remembering that Kyon used to be his classmate.
- He begs Kyon to write Yuki a ridiculous love letter for him. After reluctantly doing so, Kyon gets in trouble with an enraged (and jealous) Haruhi after she stumbled upon the letter. Surprisingly, Yuki decides to go and see Nakagawa.
- A few days later, the SOS Brigade visit Nakagawa's high school to see Nakagawa play an inter-school friendly for his American football team. Yuki, realizing that Nakagawa could sense the Integrated Data Entity, modified and deleting his esper powers (via giving him a minor percussion during the match).
- After coming to his senses in the hopital and meeting Yuki and Kyon there, Nakagawa no longer feels the same passion he had for Yuki before. Kyon was puzzled until Yuki explained to him. Kyon asked whether Yuki was disappointed that Nakagawa was actually interested in the Integrated Data Entity and not her, Yuki simply replied, "A bit."
(Volume 6, Charmed at First Sight LOVER)
- The SOS Brigade, Tsuruya-san, and Kyon’s sister (who has decided to come along at the last minute) arrive at Tsuruya’s mansion.
- Haruhi decides they should go do some skiing, while Tsuruya-san builds some snowmen with Kyon’s sister.
- During their skiing, they got caught in a mysterious blizzard, in which not even Yuki can find the way out.
- They came across a mysterious mansion, which seems to have different time warps, and can seemingly provide anything they want (like food, entertainment, etc), except an escape route.
- Kyon tells Koizumi about his experiences in the alternate reality. Koizumi then speculates that Yuki and Haruhi are beginning to lose their powers.
- Koizumi says someone as powerful as the Integrated Data Entity has deliberately have them trapped inside this mansion in order to observe Haruhi closely, and perhaps force Haruhi to trigger a reaction.
- Yuki has been looking even more dead-pan than usual, this is because she is waging an unseen data war (according to Koizumi) with the unknown enemy in order to allow for their escape. Yuki collapsed as a result of being over exhausted, but she has left Kyon a clue as to how to escape.
- This unknown enemy is later revealed by Yuki to be a "Vast Quantum Cosmic Existence" (later to be named the "Canopy Domain"), rival to the Integrated Data Sentient Entity.(Volume 7)
- The culprit is most likely Suou Kuyoh, the first humanoid interface created by the Domain, whom Kyon would encounter months later. (Volume 9)
- Kyon and Koizumi manages to work out the answer and the SOS Brigade escape from the mysterious mansion. For Tsuruya-san, only 10 minutes has passes since the swift blizzard passed. Haruhi is again confused, but buys Koizumi’s cover story that they were being hypnotized temporarily.
- Under Haruhi's insistence, Yuki had to stay in bed to recover from her "fever" for the night.
(Volume 5, Snow Mountain Syndrome)
December 31st – The SOS Brigade begin their year-end murder mystery.
(Volume 6, Where Did the Cat Go?)
(to be continued)
Detailed timeline continued from above.
- The SOS Brigade stay in Tsuruya-san's snow mountain mansion for one more day.(Volume 7 - Prologue)
- The SOS Brigade finally return home.
- Upon returning, Kyon quickly calls Mikuru and to her surprise, asks her to request for permission to travel back to December 18th, 3AH with him and Yuki. To Mikuru's astonishment, the request was granted immediately, with specific orders that she is to follow Kyon's instructions.
- Kyon, Mikuru and Yuki meet up in Yuki's apartment and they begin to travel back to December 18th, 3AH to ensure the timeline sticks to the current version.
- A few minutes later, Kyon brings a sleeping Mikuru back, with the other Yuki waiting for them (as she was in hiding all this time).
(Volume 7 - Prologue)
- Mikuru, under cryptic orders from her superiors (who turns out to actually be her future self, Mikuru (Big) ), she is to come to a traffic crossing at a specific time on a Sunday, bringing Kyon along.
- So Mikuru invites Kyon for a "date" on that coming Sunday (without telling the rest of the SOS Brigade) to buy tea leaves. Kyon gladly agrees. Though during the date, Mikuru anxiously leads Kyon to the traffic crossing, Kyon realizes something's wrong with her, but decides to keep quiet.
- As the lights at the crossing turn to green, a bespectacled boy runs out to the crossing. At this moment, a speeding car races through, ignoring the red lights. In the nick of time, Kyon saves the boy from certain death as the car speeds off.
- After asking what the boy's name is (Kyon forgot the name already), Mikuru realizes her mission is to save the boy's life, as the boy would become an important person in her age's history. As time travallers are forbidden to directly intervene, Kyon, a native of this time plane, was enlisted to help. Before parting, she urges the boy to take good care and not get in any danger (from the "Enemy", the same "Enemy of the SOS Brigade" that Koizumi was talking about while in the mysterious snow mountain mansion).
[- The speeding car turns out to belong to a rival esper organization to Koizumi's "Organization", who wish to "break free from the clutches of the future". They would later join forces with Mikuru's rival time-travellers and the Canopy Domain. (Volume 7)]
- Mikuru then breaks down and laments that she wasn't of any help to her superiors, as they kept denying her access to more information, and the SOS Brigade. Kyon knew this isn't true, as it was Mikuru's future self, Mikuru (Big) who has helped him a lot, and Mikuru (Big) understood Mikuru (small) best, which was why she concealed the truth from her past self.
- Kyon decides now's not the right time to tell Mikuru the truth, especially the when he got stuck in the altered reality, and needing her and Yuki's help to go back in time to restore that reality. Without telling her the truth, Kyon somehow cheers Mikuru up, Mikuru is thankful for Kyon's understanding.
- The next day, Haruhi found out about Kyon and Mikuru's "secretly dating" behind her back, thanks to the bespectacled boy telling her about it. Kyon and Mikuru's "punishment" is not mentioned here.
(Volume 6, The Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru)
February 3rd - Spring Setsubun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setsubun)
- Kyon tells Koizumi about having going back to restore the timeline. Koizumi surmises that they're now living in the "second version" of the timeline.
- Haruhi comes in and has the whole SOS Brigade celebrate the Spring Setsubun.
February 4th - 6th
- For days, Kyon notices Haruhi seems extraordinarily quiet. Little did he know that Haruhi was planning on something surprising for him.
February 7th (Monday)
- After school, Kyon arrives first in the SOS Brigade room at around 3:45PM. In the closet he finds Mikuru hiding inside. This Mikuru pulls him into the closet, in which time, another Mikuru enters and begins changing into her maid costume. It is now that Kyon realizes that this Mikuru inside the closet (called Mikuru-2 here) is from another timeline.
- With help from Yuki, Kyon and Mikuru-2 managed to escape from the SOS Brigade room without being seen. Once they reached Kyon's place, Mikuru-2 explains that she was sent 8 days from the present (February 15th, 4:15PM) by none other than Kyon himself. She also says she doesn't know why she was asked to travel to the past, only that the present Kyon would handle everything. Of course, the present Kyon doesn't have a clue.
- Without going into too much detail, Mikuru-2 reveals to Kyon about any clues of what to expect in the next few days, including a "treasure hunt" organized by Haruhi on Friday and two consecutive days of searches for mysterious events in town with the SOS Brigade.
- After making an excuse to Haruhi for being absent, Kyon brings Mikuru to stay with Yuki for the night. Yuki explains to Kyon about the Vast Quantum Cosmic Existence, the rival of the Integrated Data Sentient Entity. Also, for the first time, Yuki actually offers to make dinner. (Which turns out to be microwaved curry rice. )
February 8th (Tuesday)
- Kyon receives a letter in his school's shoe locker, which Kyon guessed to be from Mikuru (Big). In it were instructions asking Kyon to bring Mikuru-2 to a certain location.
- Haruhi continues to be as calm as ever. And so doesn't object to Kyon leaving early, much to Kyon's surprise.
- Kyon and Mikuru-2 arrive at the place mentioned in the letter, in which Kyon places a long nail on the ground and covers it with a tin can. They hide and wait for a few minutes. A man appears, looking frustrated, he kicks the can, but instead injures his foot as he kicked the nail as well. Feeling apologetic, Kyon and Mikuru-2 come out and escort the man onto a taxi to the hospital (without telling him that they were responsible for the prank, of course).
- Mikuru-2 says she feels uneasy staying with Yuki, so Kyon this time brings her to stay with Tsuruya-san instead, telling her that Mikuru-2 is Mikuru's long lost twin sister, Asahina Michiru. (From here on, Mikuru-2 will be called Michiru until she returns to her future. )
- Without even suspecting, Tsuruya-san instantly agrees. Tsuruya-san tells Kyon that she senses something "out of this world" about Haruhi and her SOS Brigade, Kyon offers to let Tsuruya join the SOS Brigade, but she decides to enjoy watching the show from the sidelines instead of getting involved.
- On his way out, Kyon runs into Koizumi, who also realized there are two Mikurus. He tells Kyon that it is good that "Michiru" is staying with Tsuruya-san, and also assures Kyon that as the Tsuruya clan is a benefactor of the "Organization", they would not harm Tsuruya-san or Michiru for no reason. He also gives Kyon a further insight about the various rival factions vying for power to get near Haruhi.
February 9th (Wednesday)
- Once again, Kyon receives another letter from Mikuru (Big) in his shoe locker. This time, it asks Kyon and Michiru to climb a hill and move a gourd-shaped rock 3 metres to the west.
- As Haruhi remained "sulky", she lets Kyon go again. Upon telling Michiru of the letter, Michiru guessed it's probably the Tsuruya clan's private hill where Haruhi's treasure hunt would take place.
- Kyon and Michiru climb the short hill and finally came upon the place where the gourd-shaped rock stands. Kyon proceeds to move the rock three metres to the west and leave it there.
- When they returned to Tsuruya-san's mansion, Tsuruya-san gives Kyon a treasure map she found in the storehouse, apparently drawn by her ancestor, Tsuruya Yauemon, some 300 years ago. She asks Kyon to give it to Haruhi.
February 10th (Thursday)
- This time, Kyon receives 3 letters from Mikuru (Big), as this is the last school day which Kyon would have access to the shoe locker. (February 11th (Friday) is a public holiday in Japan, while the following Monday is a school designated holiday, according to Kyon. )
- The letters are numbered #3, #4 and #6. There are no instructions for either this day or the next, so #3 would be for February 12th (Saturday) and #4 would be for February 13th (Sunday). #6 is strictly for Kyon's eyes only and he cannot show it to Michiru for a very good reason. He guesses that letter #5 would appear when the time is right.
- Both #3 and #4 have very strange instructions, which neither Kyon nor Michiru understood the meaning of it.
- Haruhi told Kyon that Tsuruya-san called her as well and demanded the treasure map from him. Later that day, she gathers the SOS Brigade for a meeting and arranges for a treasure hunt in Tsuruya Hill (named as such by Kyon, as it didn't really have a name) the next day.
February 11th (Friday) - National Foundation Day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Foundation_Day)
- Haruhi leads the SOS Brigade to Tsuruya Hill to begin their treasure hunt, using the treasure map Tsuruya-san gave her.
- As he had heard from Michiru, Kyon knows there's no treasure to be found and so expects nothing but having to work hard digging dirt with Koizumi.
- Haruhi finds the area with the gourd-shaped rock and has Kyon and Koizumi dig around. Though they found nothing in the end, Haruhi seemed pretty happy and decided to disband, asking everyone to gather the next morning for the SOS Brigade's regular "Search for Mysterious Events" hunt.
- Going home, Kyon realizes from Michiru's memories that both designated times in the instruction letters coincides with him being paired with Yuki during the mystery hunt. He decides to call Yuki, but finds Yuki's phone engaged.
- He tries again and goes through, asking Yuki to rig the pairing so he would be paired with her during those designated times. Feeling curious, he asks Yuki who it was she was talking to. Yuki said it was Haruhi that called her, but refuses to reveal anymore, since Haruhi told her not to. Kyon decides to let the matter rest.
February 12th (Saturday)
- In the morning, Kyon got paired with Koizumi. To Kyon's surprise, Koizumi actually didn't talk a lot for once and they simply took a stroll across town.
- After lunch, Kyon got paired with Yuki as expected. He brings Yuki to the library and asks her to wait there. There he meets Michiru, who was driven by Tsuruya-san's chauffeur direct from her mansion, under Kyon's request.
- Kyon and Michiru arrive at the designated location, as indicated by letter #3. The letter asks them to search for a memory-storage device hidden in a flower bed and mail it anonymously to a certain address.
- They search for half an hour but found nothing. A mysterious person (Fujiwara) shows up, holding the device in his hand, and mocks Kyon and Michiru for being slaves to the future. As he seems to know who Haruhi, Michiru and Yuki are, Kyon guesses that this "Sneering Bastard" must be from the future as well.
- "Sneering Bastard" (as Kyon knew him then) tosses the device back to Kyon, saying his existence depends on this chip anyway, and that he's only here to make his introduction.
- Still rather shaken by the hostile encounter with Sneering Bastard, Kyon decides to ride a taxi with Michiru back to Tsuruya-san's mansion personally before rushing back to the library to pick Yuki up.
- Kyon asks Yuki to analyse the chip for him, to which Yuki explains it contains files which explains the basic theories of time travel.
- After Haruhi ends the days hunt, Kyon goes to the nearby pet store to buy a small turtle, required for the next day's instruction. He brings the turtle to Michiru for safe-keeping and asks her to bring it with her tomorrow to the designated spot. Once again, he asks Tsuruya-san to escort her there.
- Before going home, Kyon mails the device to the (unmentioned) address indicated by letter #3.
February 13th (Sunday)
- Once again, Kyon is paired with Yuki for the morning. He brings Yuki to the library and then goes off to the designated area by the river indicated by letter #4.
- He meets Michiru, who arrived safely there, bringing the small turtle with him.
- Letter #4 simply instructs them to throw the small turtle into the river. While hesitating to do so, Kyon and Michiru encounter the spectacled boy that Kyon has rescued a month ago. (Vol 6 - The Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru).
- The boy wonders why Kyon would want to throw the turtle into the cold river, feeling sympathy for the turtle. Kyon suddenly had an idea, as he realizes while the letter asked him to drop the turtle, which he has to obey in order to preserve the timeline, it didn't specify what he would do to the turtle afterwards. So he drops the turtle into the slow moving river, but then picks it up and gives it to the boy, and asks the boy to take good care of it.
- After accomplishing their task, Kyon and Michiru go to wait for a taxi. At this moment, a black car slowly approaches, and in the blink of an eye, snatches Michiru away from under Kyon's nose.
- Feeling panicked, Kyon calls Haruhi without thinking and says "Asahina-san has been kidnapped". Of course, Haruhi thinks it's a silly joke as Mikuru was standing right next to her.
- Koizumi, who was also with Haruhi and Mikuru, realizes the gravity of the situation. He excuses himself and calls Kyon, telling him "reinforcements" are on their way.
- A few seconds later, a black taxi appears in front of Kyon. Inside was Mori Sonou and Arakawa from the "Organization". Mori asks Kyon to get in, and Arakawa the driver begins to pursue the black car.
- Mori explains to Kyon that the "Organization" has been aware that their rival esper organization has teamed up with "Sneering Bastard's" rival time travellers as well as the Canopy Domain. They expect them to kidnap Mikuru, but they have kidnapped Michiru instead. Kyon now realizes the whole purpose for Michiru to travel back in time was to protect Mikuru from being kidnapped in front of Haruhi's eyes, which would create unknown consequences.
- Eventually, the black car was cornered in a mountain road from two sides, one by Arakawa's black taxi, and the other side by a police car, driven by the Tamaru brothers from the Organization.
- The inhabitants of the black car, including Sneering Bastard (Fujiwara), and a girl in red (Tachibana Kyoko), who momentarily tries to flirt with Kyon, were forced to surrender. Mori demands that they leave Michiru in the car and walk down the mountain.
- Arakawa and Mori then escort Kyon and Michiru back to the library, where Yuki is seen holding letter #5, handed to her by Mikuru (big), who had visited earlier.
- Letter #5 tells Kyon that everything is now over, and that Michiru is to be sent back to the future at once. Kyon sets the destination for Michiru at February 15th 4:16PM.
- After calling it a day, Haruhi announces there will be another treasure hunt the next day at Tsuruya Hill again.
- That evening, Kyon decides to go to the bench in the park near the station, as indicated by letter #6, to meet Mikuru (Big), to which she explains the purpose of all this ordeal to Kyon.
- Mikuru (Big) revealed that the man who got his foot injured by Kyon's "prank" would meet his future wife in the hospital, or they would not have met otherwise. The significance of this meeting is only known to Mikuru (Big). She also explained to Kyon that the device he mailed would eventually be repaired, and someone would extract the information within, which would form the foundation for time travel technology. And finally, the spectacled boy they met earlier would remember the ripples created by the turtle that Kyon dropped into the water, and from these ripples, the boy would one day be inspired to formulate the basic theories of time travel.
February 14th (Monday) - Valentine's Day
- The SOS Brigade once again take the bus to Tsuruya Hill. Kyon notices that Haruhi looked rather sleepy.
- Upon coming to the gourd-shaped rock, Haruhi asks Kyon and Koizumi to begin digging there again. This time they found two tin boxes, and inside each box were three pieces of chocolate.
- Turns out Haruhi, Mikuru and Yuki has been spending the previous night making Valentine's Day chocolates for Kyon and Koizumi, and secretly burying it by the gourd-shaped rock beforehand. Kyon now understands why Haruhi has been so quiet lately, and why Yuki and Mikuru (as well as Michiru) have been so quiet about it.
- That night, Kyon calls Tsuruya-san to tell her that "Michiru" has decided to go home, and asks her to bring along Michiru's school uniform as Michiru had forgotten to pack. He also jokingly suggests Tsuruya-san to try digging three metres east of the gourd-shaped rock for any treasure.
February 15th (Tuesday)
- Tsuruya-san comes to visit Kyon, and to Kyon's surprise, Tsuruya-san actually found something at the spot where Kyon suggested her to dig. In it was some mysterious titanium-made device. Kyon urges Tsuruya-san not to tell Haruhi about this.
- After school, Haruhi has decided, to Kyon's dismay, to hold a contest to decide who would win Mikuru's hand made chocolate.
- Kyon had originally intended to quickly bring Mikuru and send her back 8 days to the past, so as the time approaches, he grows more anxious. Eventually, he asks Yuki to rig the result and have the winner declared in an instant.
- After the announcement of the winner, Kyon quickly grabs Mikuru, who was wearing a Miko costume, and takes her to the SOS Brigade room. He asks her to quickly change into her uniform, and then throws her into the locker and tells her to travel back in time to 8 days ago (February 7th) at once. He tells her his past self will take care of everything.
- 4:15PM Mikuru disappears and travels back to February 7th, 3:45PM.
- 4:16PM Mikuru (Michiru) returns, having arrived from the morning of February 13th.
The SOS Brigade held an unorthodox Hinamatsuri festival.
White Day. Kyon and Koizumi had to come up with ways to return the chocolate favours they received from the SOS Brigade girls.
- The President of the Student Council and Koizumi come up with a plot to keep Haruhi occupied. Using the excuse that the Literature Club, whose club room is being occupied by the SOS Brigade, has not contributed anything to the school. The President threatens to abolish the Literature Club, confiscate their room, and in effect driving the SOS Brigade, a "non-existent" club, out of the club room. This is unless the Literature Club produces a magazine by the end of the school term.
Haruhi, in the name of the Literature Club, gladly accepts the "challenge", and proceeds to slave the rest of the brigade (and conscripting a few others as well) to writing their articles, ranging from "Fairytale", "Fantasy Horror", "Mystery" and "Romance". Eventually, after quite some hassle between Kyon and Haruhi, the publication of the magazine went through smoothly and the SOS Brigade was quietly allowed to continue its existence in the Literature Club room.
(Volume 8, Editor in Chief★Straight Ahead!)
- Sakanaka, a classmate of Kyon and Haruhi's, came to the SOS Brigade to help solve a "mystery". She claims to encounter strange occurrences while walking her dog. The SOS Brigade went to investigate the site of where Sakanaka walked her dog but could not find anything.
- A few days later, Sakanaka's dog fell to an unknown illness, causing a distraught Sakanaka to find Haruhi for help again. Kyon hears from Yuki that this is the work of another "sub-species" of Data Entities - the equivalent to "viruses" in organic beings. Under the guise of exorcism, Yuki proceeds to "heal" the puppies affected by the "virus", by using Shamisen as a medium to carry the "virus", as Yuki deems Shamisen would be least affected by it. Kyon wonders whether Shamisen has carried a "poltergeist" into his room.
(Volume 8, Wandering Shadow)
- Sometime before April, Sasaki, Kyon's classmate from junior high, was approached by Tachibana Kyoko from the rival esper organization, Fujiwara, the sneering time traveller, and Suou Kuyoh, the humanoid interface of the Canopy Domain, to assist them in approaching Kyon. (Volume 9)
- During the spring holidays, Haruhi, inspired by the success of the Literature Club magazine, decides to shoot a trailer for the sequel to her movie (just the trailer, though), and summons the SOS Brigade for shooting sessions. Fortunately for Kyon, this time the filming went through without much incident.
- On the last day of holidays, Haruhi decides to go to a flea market to see what stuff they can procure for the movie. On his way to the station, the SOS Brigade's usual meeting spot, Kyon meets up with his junior high friend Sasaki, who was on her way to cram school. Kyon decides to introduce her to Haruhi and the SOS Brigade, little does Kyon know that this action would bring unforseen consequences for the world.
- After parting ways with Sasaki, the trip to the flea market was without incident. However, for Koizumi and the "Organization", things were to become busy for them, for Sealed Dimensions were appearing at a frequent rate, though the "Shinjins" were quite docile compared to their destructive predecessors.
First Thursday of the new school term
- During club recruitment day, where the various clubs set up stalls to attract new members, the SOS Brigade set up their stall under the banner of the Literature Club, so as to prevent the Student Council from breathing down their necks. Kyon notices Koizumi looked exhausted, and learned that it was because Haruhi, despite still looking cheerful on the outside, was being jealous of Sasaki, whom Kyon knew before.
- Haruhi secretly prepares questions for her SOS Brigade Entrance Exam for new members. On the same day, she also declares the next day to be another "Search for Mysterious Events" hunt for the SOS Brigade.
- Kyon awakes early, and for the second time, he arrived the earliest at the station. As he waits for the rest, he meets Sasaki once more. To Kyon's shock, Sasaki is with Tachibana Kyoko, whom Kyon remembers was involved in the kidnapping of Mikuru two months before, as well as Suou Kuyoh, a very quiet long-haired girl whose existence felt even weaker than that of Yuki.
- As Haruhi and the rest of the SOS Brigade arrived, Kyon notices Koizumi has entered into a smiling stand-off with Kyoko while Yuki and Kuyoh's silent stares at each other was deafening.
- After Sasaki and her group parted ways with the SOS Brigade, the mystery hunt proceeded without any results for the SOS Brigade.
- Later that night, as Kyon was taking a bath, he received a phone call...
From this point onwards, the timeline diverges into two parallel timelines: α-timeline and β-timeline. The divergence has yet to be explained in the novels...
- The phone call came from a girl whom Kyon has never heard of, yet this girl seems to know about Kyon, addressing Kyon as "Senpai", indicating that she's a first year. The girl said she merely called to hear his voice, and hopes he would take care of her. Before Kyon could ask further, she hangs up.
- Kyon then calls Koizumi to ask about Sasaki's new friends. Koizumi explains their origin while reassuring Kyon that he and Yuki will not allow any harm to come to the SOS Brigade, and besides, they have Haruhi as their ultimate trump card. Kyon decided if that's the case, then calling Yuki would not be necessary, and calls it a day.
A very typical Sunday for Kyon passed by without incident.
- Kyon finds Haruhi looking exhausted, and discovers she's still busy looking for new members for the SOS Brigade.
- He spends lunch time in the Literature Club room, where Yuki explains about the Canopy Domain, and assures him that she'll protect everyone in the SOS Brigade from any attack made by them.
- After school, Haruhi gave Kyon a brief crash-course to prepare him for the upcoming Math test the following day in their classroom. Afterwards, they head to the club room, where they find the room stuffed with first year students.
- Kyon counted eleven first year students, seven guys and four girls. As he and Koizumi, under Haruhi's orders, went around to get extra chairs for the visitors, Kyon realizes there were now twelve first-years - there were now five girls. Kyon blames the miscount on his poor photographic memory.
- After getting rid of a guy for asking an "irrelevant" question, Haruhi begins her speech to the visitors, explaining what the SOS Brigade is all about, and then invites them to return the following day should they still be interested. All this time, Kyon notices one girl looking very enthusiastic with Haruhi's speech. Kyon wonders if anyone would still want to come the next day...
(To be continued on Volume 10)
- The phone call came from Sasaki, who invites him to meet with her the following day, together with her new acquaintances, for they wish to speak to him.
- Kyon then calls Koizumi to ask about Sasaki's new friends, as well as mentioning that he's going to meet them the next day. Koizumi explains their origin, and believes they wouldn't do anything to Kyon, so he does not oppose Kyon going.
- Kyon called Yuki as well to inform her about the meeting. Yuki too believes that the Canopy Domain, which Suoh Kuyoh represents, does not constitute a threat for the moment being. Afterwards, Kyon calls it a day.
- On a rainy day, Kyon goes the usual coffee shop by the station that the SOS Brigade frequents to meet Sasaki and her new friends. After introducing themselves, Tachibana Kyoko begins explaining their reason for meeting Kyon. As they believe Sasaki to be the true "god" of this world, they intend to replace Haruhi with Sasaki, and wishes for Kyon's assistance in "correcting" this phenomenon. Kyoko even gave Kyon a tour of the stable Sealed Dimensions created by Sasaki to demonstrate to Kyon that instead of putting up with the unstable Haruhi, the world can be much peaceful with Sasaki as "god"
- Neither Kyon nor Sasaki looked interested in Kyoko's proposal, and it seems like Fujiwara the sneering time traveller and Kuyoh were only lukewarm in their alliance with Kyoko's esper organization.
- Just as Kyon is about to give his answer, Kuyoh reacts vigorously as she comes into "direct contact" with another humanoid interface from the rival Integrated Data Entity - Kimidori Emiri, who happens to be working part-time as a waitress, by grabbing on Emiri's hand. Though Emiri seems not to be affected by it, and Kuyoh gradually retracts her hand. Kyon has no idea whether Emiri's presence is coincidental.
- As the meeting comes to an end, feeling dejected, Kyoko says she would give Kyon time to consider.
- While Haruhi was away as usual, Kyon spends his lunchtime with his usual mates Kunikida and Taniguchi. They went into a brief chat concerning Kyon's friendship with Sasaki.
- After school, Haruhi tells Kyon to head to the club room first as she has some matters to attend to. Kyon arrives to find that there was no one else in the room, not even Yuki.
- As he flicked through Yuki's book on the table, Mikuru arrives. Kyon uses this opportunity to ask about Fujiwara, and Mikuru is amazed that she was now able to utter terms that were "forbidden" before.
- Haruhi and Koizumi then arrived, with Haruhi declaring her reconnaissance trip to the Student Council a success, as she's still trying to recruit new members for the SOS Brigade.
- As things begin to settle down in the club room, with Haruhi working out her questions for the SOS Brigade Entrance Exam, Mikuru brewing tea, Kyon and Koizumi playing board games, they begin to realize something was wrong - Yuki was missing.
- Haruhi called Yuki on her cellphone and found out that Yuki has a fever. To Kyon and Koizumi, this means that the Canopy Domain has made their move and targeted Yuki, the SOS Brigade's most reliable defence, just as they have done in the snow mountain field trip back in December.
- Haruhi declares that the SOS Brigade is to pay Yuki a visit at her apartment...
(To be continued on Volume 10)
(Volume 9 unless stated otherwise)
vBulletin® v3.8.6, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.