PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good Anime DVD to buy?

plasmasword001
2003-11-06, 02:57
I don't really have any anime DVD's in my library except for spirited away which is a movie, and I was wondering what DVD anime is good to buy that is in a series...

FinFangFoom
2003-11-06, 03:50
That is such a general question, very difficult to answer without knowing what kind of anime you like. My favorite licensed series right now would be Last Exile. It is 26 episodes long. It has a really good balance of action and drama, with a little comedy from time to time. I really love it because it is very obvious to me from watching it that the creator is a big Star Wars fan. You should check out a page like http://www.animenfo.com/ which has lots of reviews to help you make a choice.

Joovilhar
2003-11-06, 16:40
I would recommend any of the following, in order of priority. Of course, my tastes are probably different from yours - so don't pay too much attention to the priority. :)

a) Trigun (26 episodes)
b) Cowboy Bebop (26 episodes)
c) Last Exile (26 episodes)
d) Onegai Teacher (13 episodes)
e) Tenchi Muyo! TV (26 episodes)
f) Neon Genesis Evangelion (24 episodes, plus two alternative ending episodes and a movie). Watch out, this one will do something horrible to your brain. :)
g) Love Hina (26 episodes + special)
h) Patlabor (26 episodes - I think!)
i) Tsukikage Ran (13 episodes)
j) Haibane Renmei (13 episodes)

That's all for now. I'm sure more will occur to me later. :)

vinhdang
2003-11-06, 21:48
You can get most of those online, You should go for Ranma 1/2 season 7. I haven't found that season online. I wonder if there's a DVD version though... hmm

Vulkar
2003-11-06, 22:27
Fruits Basket. There seems to be a lot of episodes on it per DVD which makes it a good buy. GTO I think had a large number of episodes (6) per disc also, I believe.

GM V
2003-11-06, 23:11
Hmmm good anime in series...if you like mecha...this is coming from a Gundam fan.

Mobile Suit Gundam - First real robot series, excellent series in all respects, mind the 70s animation and you should love it. Before Gundam, no robot anime has ever had as much realism, character development and a robot that is just a tool of war never personified.

G Gundam - Vastly different from most Gundam, realism does not count here its just a series of fun with romance. Very underrated.

Aura Battler Dunbine - amazing series, better than a few Gundam series I've seen. Directed by the same person who did Mobile Suit Gundam. Jumped to one of my top anime after my first view.

Patlabor - This is a very balanced series, the chances are you will like it. It has everything you could put in a mecha series

Evangelion - This one really depends on the person, you can love this series, hate this series or become really confused. I liked this series but it doesn't deserve the praise it gets as "Best anime ever created" like marketing wants to tell you.

Vision of Escaflowne - Very well done series. The DVD version is far better than the ultra-cut version shown on FOX. This series mixes mecha and medieval times together and does it well.

There are other series than this I would recommend but, they haven't been licensed.

pantsu
2003-11-07, 01:17
i'd go for fruits basket, mahoromatic,last exile (when it comes out) and also nadesico (the set is only about 50-60 bucks usd.).

finfangfoom = kickin band (even if it isn't where you got your name :d)

Briareos
2003-11-07, 10:44
Keep in mind that Patlabor spans a TV series, two OVA series, and three feature films.

OVA 1 - 7eps (R1 available - note: this series is separate from the TV world)
TV - 48 eps (R1 for eps 1 - 26 so far)
OVA 2 - 16eps (R1 not available - note: this is an extension of the TV series)
Films 1-3 (R1 available)

(The above list does not fully reflect the order of release.)

If sales continue, US Manga Corps will keep releasing the TV series on DVD. (Don't watch the TV dub unless you think the Pokemon voice actors are good.)

Patlabor is an attempt to incorporate "Giant Robots" into the "real world". There are some large leaps in science (especially biologically) but Patlabor's world could feasibly exist some time in the future (although it's not really likely). The best thing about Patlabor, however, is the characters. They're complex, loveable and very human. They have failings and quirky personalities, and make the world of Patlabor very believable. There isn't a lot of action (despite what the box says), but as I mentioned, that's not the real draw of Patlabor anyhow. If you don't end up watching much of the series, films 1 & 2 are true gems.

edit: capitalization

Kamui4356
2003-11-08, 08:17
Nadesico. I'll never miss a chance to promote my favorite anime. Other than that, Evangelion, Lain, Escaflowne, Berserk, Kare Kano, Evangelion, Saber Marionette J, ect. There's a lot of good anime on dvd.
Also Evangelion is actually 26 episodes. The first movie "death and rebirth" sums up the series and replaces ep 25. The second movie "end of evangelion" shows the 2nd half of D and R and replaces ep 26. I'm in a minority here, but I like the original ending more than the redone movie endings. If you get Eva you can save some money and skip Death and Rebirth, you won't miss anything. The important stuff is all in End of eva too.

FinFangFoom
2003-11-08, 17:19
i'd go for fruits basket, mahoromatic,last exile (when it comes out) and also nadesico (the set is only about 50-60 bucks usd.).

finfangfoom = kickin band (even if it isn't where you got your name :d)

No its not where I got my name, (FinFangFoom is a ancient giant chinese dragon who wears purple underware and fought Iron Man) but I ran accross that band while looking for finfangfoom realated material on google. I was kind of pissed because I always wanted to start a band called finfangfoom but lack of musical talent prevented it, but im glad to hear that they do the name justice :).

Also, ive noticed several people promoting Fruits Baskets and seen it promoted alot in other threads to, including several times from GDH Pro. Is that a comedy series or more action based? I'm getting more curious everytime someone mentions what a great buy it is and I might crack soon and just buy it.

monir
2003-11-08, 17:29
Finfangfoom-san, Fruit basket is more of philosophical type animation with beautiful characters..Every episode leads to a better one, which is very rare in animation..It is really hard to explain but once you watch one episode you will be completely hooked..Guranteed...

FinFangFoom
2003-11-08, 19:22
Cool, sounds right up my alley. That decides it, i'll check it out. Thanks!!

(īΘдΘ)ノ Kaoru
2003-11-08, 22:52
If you want to make your saturday night a bit more terrifying, get Boogiepop Phantom, very good series (13eps)..

Iron Monkey
2003-11-09, 04:20
I know you're asking about anime, but if you don't already have it, I recommend the Family Guy seasons 1/2, and season 3, just cuz it's so damn funny. If you had to choose between the two, get season 3. Absolutely hilarious. Trust me, you won't go wrong with the purchase. (well, unless you don't have a sense of humour, I guess)

ElvenPath
2003-11-09, 08:27
Hey no one mentioned .Hack//Sign (26Eps). I highly recommend it.

Briareos
2003-11-13, 15:19
I think .hack//SIGN is a "rent first" anime (if you have the chance). People tend to love it or hate it.

Personally, I liked it, but that's just me.

7thMethuselah
2003-11-16, 16:39
the following are very easy to get and are good series imo, also the quality of subs and all were rather good in the version i own of them

Love Hina (6 DVD + specials) -> a hilarious comedy
Serial Experiments Lain (4 DVD) -> mindbreaking series, rather complicated
Cowboy Bebop (6 DVD) -> if you haven't seen/bought these yet, get to the store NOW :heh:
Saishuuheiki Kanojo / SaiKano (4 DVD) -> a bit depressing, but very very impressive series
Neon Genesis Evangelion (6 DVD + movies) -> mecha+mystery+rei ayanami , need i say more :)
Akira (1 DVD) -> a classic, some will say a must have for any anime fan

zalas
2003-11-16, 17:56
the following are very easy to get and are good series imo, also the quality of subs and all were rather good in the version i own of them
<snip>
Saishuuheiki Kanojo / SaiKano (4 DVD) -> a bit depressing, but very very impressive series
<snip>

As far as I know, Viz has NOT released any Saikano DVDs yet and neither has Madman. The only DVDs I know of are the Region 2 DVDs with subtitles and they come in a set of 7. (1 ep on the first and 2 eps on subsequent ones). Comes to about $330.

Hao Asakura
2003-11-17, 08:08
Is Haibane Renmei a good series? I'm planning to get the DVD soon.

BME
2003-11-17, 13:03
I started with My favorite, the Oh My Goddess 5 part OVA on 2 DVDs and the movie, but itīs definetly not for everyone.

7thMethuselah
2003-11-17, 20:01
As far as I know, Viz has NOT released any Saikano DVDs yet and neither has Madman. The only DVDs I know of are the Region 2 DVDs with subtitles and they come in a set of 7. (1 ep on the first and 2 eps on subsequent ones). Comes to about $330.

gomen gomen

you're right i wrote them down bc really liked the series , they are on th top of my wish list, but my local anime dealer (sounds cool) told me they were out allready and there are 4 DVD, but then it appears to be wrong. Everything else i said should be right since i have all of those :)

TheBlueOne
2003-11-18, 12:50
Is Haibane Renmei a good series? I'm planning to get the DVD soon.

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: The chances of you likeing it are really high.

The animation is absolutely stunning (done by the same guy who did Lain and Niea_7). The music ranks in as some of the best anime BGM that I've ever heard. (though to be fair, not every track is a masterpiece ;) ) The story...starts off as a very well-executed slice of life anime and then at about episode 6 turns into a story of redemption with a really emotional finalle.

That being said, I've heard some people complain that the pace is too slow, and I'll be the first to admit that the show isn't perfect, but it was still my favorite show from last year, and ranks highly on my best of all time list.

dragonz20
2003-11-18, 15:17
Fruit Basket - may sound fruity but the anime is great. it's a must-buy almost.

Visons of Escaflowne - mix of medieval and mechs. great storyline and it explains the movie if you saw it without the series...

Hao Asakura
2003-11-22, 00:28
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: The chances of you likeing it are really high.

The animation is absolutely stunning (done by the same guy who did Lain and Niea_7). The music ranks in as some of the best anime BGM that I've ever heard. (though to be fair, not every track is a masterpiece ;) ) The story...starts off as a very well-executed slice of life anime and then at about episode 6 turns into a story of redemption with a really emotional finalle.

That being said, I've heard some people complain that the pace is too slow, and I'll be the first to admit that the show isn't perfect, but it was still my favorite show from last year, and ranks highly on my best of all time list.

Thx a lot. U just made up my mind to purchase it :D

Playboy.
2003-11-25, 05:20
Kenshin OVA's
titles:
Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal
and
Samurai X: Reflection

bayoab
2003-11-25, 06:16

The saikano boxset is 5 dvd's, 1-3-3-3-3. The first disc also comes with an additional extras disc if you get the Limited edition release, but it has no subs. Viz said 4/04, i have no idea about madman. And it costs about $260 if you get all the first pressing limited editions. (About $30 less if you get the regular edition vol 1). And its very good (and the subs arent engrishy!).

Additional:
I dont think any mentioned it... but excel saga (6 discs) - very very funny

elian85
2003-11-29, 21:55
just continue with fansubs. the subtitles (if u need em) are a lot bedder then at animes u can buy. often not at the right time or bad translated. just try to get the most popular animes like naruto or full metal alchemist. if u need to spend money u can send some to me :D .

zalas
2003-11-29, 23:20
just continue with fansubs. the subtitles (if u need em) are a lot bedder then at animes u can buy. often not at the right time or bad translated. just try to get the most popular animes like naruto or full metal alchemist. if u need to spend money u can send some to me :D .
I beg to differ. A lot of times, the translation on commercial releases are far better than the translation on typical fansubs. However, there are editing differences. One is stylistic differences, which can be good or bad depending on the person. Sometimes commercial companies do leave in typos and grammatical errors (Hoshi no Koe had a LOT). This can get to the point of being worse than the best fansub groups in terms of quality control for the script. I've also noticed a lot of commercial anime do not have sharp, precise timing. As for karaoke, that's debatable, since a lot of leechers nowadays seem to like it, as well as a lot of fansubbing people. However, there are a lot of other people who do not like the karaoke and find it intrusive. Furthermore, the softsub technology on DVDs is not very advanced, and hence you can't do very complicated sign placement, etc (tho R.O.D.'s BLACK UNREADABLE signs should've been better). Not counting translation, some of the better commercial releases I've seen are Excel Saga and Kare Kano, in terms of how much information they provide the reader and a lack of typos, editing errors.
I know this may open a can of worms, but if you really like a series, please support it by buying at least one DVD when it comes out, or some merchandise than gives money back to the producers. I'm not saying you need to get the whole series or anything, but at least a token amount for gratitude shouldn't hurt.

bayoab
2003-11-30, 15:18

The subs on the dvd being worse than the fansubs...this i have yet to see in any of my dvd's. The editing is different because its for a different audiance. Timing on dvd's is impossible to get perfectly right because of the dvd creation process.