PDA

View Full Version : Does your real name have meaning?

Radiosity
2006-06-11, 12:11
I found out a little while ago that my christian name has a meaning in Japanese (completely incidental though, not something my parents actually decided on). My name is Ben, which means Dialect (Kansai-ben for example).

As for my last name, it means Matt-maker in German (I'm English BTW).

So what do your names mean?

Keios
2006-06-11, 12:34
My real name (Tommi) is a Finnish pet form of Thomas which means...

THOMAS

Greek form of the Aramaic name Te'oma which meant "twin". In the New Testament he was the apostle who doubted the resurrected Jesus. According to tradition he was martyred in India.

... according to http://www.behindthename.com

Excellent site if you're interested in the history of names. :]

Maxon
2006-06-11, 12:37
Shaun - Anglicized form of Sean which is the Irish form of John. It means "A gift from God".

jedinat
2006-06-11, 14:16
Nathaniel - "God has given" according to that site. I'd always been told it means "Gift from God"... same thing I guess.

Same meaning as Maxon's name :heh:

Dhomochevsky
2006-06-11, 14:40
My names Maik, which is a short form of Michael.
According to that site, its also the name of some archangel who is the leader of heavens army ... I thought that was Kenny. ;)
It means "who is like God?", which doesnt make any sense at all. So my name is really a question, that noone knows the answer of... :uhoh:

Hm... maybe, as my name is the short form, I could translate it as "God?". well, yes :D

Oh, and for the japanese meaning: as japanese tend to add an 'o' to every word that ends with a consonant, that would make me Maiko.
Which is a geisha in training (!) according to this site (http://www.whatever.net.au/~amaya/geisha/maiko.htm)! omg :heh:

I think ill go as Michael, if I ever come to Japan. ;)

ChainLegacy
2006-06-11, 15:20
My first name, 'Nicholas,' means victory. I think it also has something to do with leadership. My last name, 'Earls,' could mean I am either related to an Earl, or, more likely, someone in my ancestry was an Earl's servant.

Radiosity
2006-06-11, 15:40
Thanks to Keios, that link was handy. I've just found out that Ben means Son in Hebrew as well.

From the Hebrew name בִנְיָמִין (Binyamin) which means "son of the south" or "son of the right hand". Benjamin in the Old Testament was the twelfth and youngest son of Jacob and the founder of one of the southern tribes of the Hebrews.

My full name is Benjamin, though I generally don't like being called that, it's Ben or nothing heh. Only very close friends are allowed to call me Benjamin, be it serious or joking.

Itachikun
2006-06-11, 16:33
Well, I'm a Muslim/Arab, and so I have an Arabic name which is "Khalid" and this has a meaning in Arabic, which means "Immortal", though I don't know if it has any other type of meaning in any other languages.

Weissent
2006-06-11, 16:54
My first name is Thorsten, which is a germanized form of Old Norse "Өórsteinn". This means 'Stone of Thor', indicating steadiness, steadfastness, you name it.

jedinat
2006-06-11, 16:59
My first name is Thorsten, which is a germanized form of Old Norse "Өórsteinn". This means 'Stone of Thor', indicating steadiness, steadfastness, you name it.
So do people call you "Thor"? That'd be awesome. I want that name. ;)

HoboGod
2006-06-11, 17:14
Adam- it means original man. Why my mom picked names out of the bible, I do not know.

My last name has no meaning, it was changed to Vite when my great great grandfather came to Ellis Island from Italy. I think it used to be something like Vitelli or Vitello (they come from the word vita meaning "life"), but I was never able to track down our real name.

npal
2006-06-11, 17:18
My first name, 'Nicholas,' means victory. I think it also has something to do with leadership.

Just for the record, your name, as well as mine, comes from the Greek name Nikolaos, which is traditionally taken as a combination of victory and people. Something along the lines of "victorious people" or "victory of the people".

Personally I'm not a communist :p I feel more like a king :p :D

Weissent
2006-06-11, 17:20
So do people call you "Thor"? That'd be awesome. I want that name. ;)

Nah, and I'm glad they're not! Wasn't there some kind of super-hero character in the US during the 70s/80s named Thor (similar to He-man ;))))?

Radiosity
2006-06-11, 17:24
I'd take it more as meaning Thor the God myself, which would be a hell of a compliment, wouldn't you think? ;)

Him "Yo God."
You "Hello my child."

See? :D

Weissent
2006-06-11, 17:32
I'd take it more as meaning Thor the God myself, which would be a hell of a compliment, wouldn't you think? ;)

Him "Yo God."
You "Hello my child."

See? :D

Me: You wanna see the hammer I sport? :D (As in Thor's hammer lololol)

jedinat
2006-06-11, 17:41
Me: You wanna see the hammer I sport? :D (As in Thor's hammer lololol)
Reply: I think Thor has had one too many pints of mead. Now put your "hammer" back in your pants before somebody hurts you.

Keios
2006-06-11, 17:41
Nah, and I'm glad they're not! Wasn't there some kind of super-hero character in the US during the 70s/80s named Thor (similar to He-man ;))))?

Lol, I remember THE MIGHTY THOR. I even have a few Thor-comics! :I I wouldn't compare him with He-man, though. He-man is in a class of his own.

Weissent
2006-06-11, 17:59
Lol, I remember THE MIGHTY THOR. I even have a few Thor-comics! :I I wouldn't compare him with He-man, though. He-man is in a class of his own.

See? THAT's why I'm glad nobody *ever* called me "Thor" instead of "Thorsten".
Plus I think I've seen a crappy Thor-movie a couple of years ago (like 15 years ago or something).

A lot of my friends in the early 80s had He-man action figures. Not me, though. My parents thought this might make me value men-muscles and homo-eroticism .. just kidding ;)

Daniel E.
2006-06-11, 18:03
Daniel = "God is my judge"

Weissent
2006-06-11, 18:20
Reply: I think Thor has had one too many pints of mead.

You may be right there ;) I just aced a couple of qualifications in economic studies, so the mead flows plentily :p

saznami
2006-06-11, 18:26
My names 'Jack' and 'Jones' mean chimney sweep and peasent. Yep... I've got alot to live up to... um...

Radiosity
2006-06-11, 18:39
I wouldn't say Jack is just a Chimney Sweep. A jack is often a very skilled craftsman, such as a Steeplejack, someone who builds or maintains very tall structures (in the classic sense, this would mostly mean churches and other such structures).

Peasant... maybe, but if you were a steeplejack you'd be a fairly high standing peasent (lol, pun not intended, honestly).

Lumiliun
2006-06-11, 18:42
well, my name, Irja is a short form of Irina which means peace, I think it's russian. btw I'm swedish.

Weissent
2006-06-11, 19:10
well, my name, Irja is a short form of Irina which means peace, I think it's russian. btw I'm swedish.

How's it pronounced? Like "Ir-dsha" or like "Ir-ja".
Russian or Swedisch: it is a great name; all the more cause it means 'peace'. We need more Irinas these days ...

Radiosity
2006-06-11, 21:34
Without looking, I would guess it's another form of Michael.

Kenji Ikari
2006-06-12, 00:25
My real name is Ansar.

If I recall from what my parents told me, it means "Allah's helper" in Arabic.

SweetHoney
2006-06-12, 01:07
Hmm my real name is Cassandra and it is says my name means "shining upon man"

suwayya
2006-06-12, 01:11
Vidar is the name :D
From the Old Norse Víđarr, which is possibly derived from víđr "forest" and arr "warrior". In Norse mythology Víđarr was the son of Odin and Grid. At the time of the end of the world, the Ragnarok, he will avenge his father's death.

reflection
2006-06-12, 01:22
"Who is like God?" This is the name of one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only one identified as an archangel in the Bible. In the Book of Revelation in the New Testament he is portrayed as the leader of heaven's armies, and thus is considered the patron saint of soldiers. This was also the name of nine Byzantine emperors and a czar of Russia. Should be easy to guess, heh.

JOJOS'STAR
2006-06-12, 02:02
No. My name means me. I wouldn't be proud if it ment anything more that didn't relate to me.

But I think its cool that some people have historical names. ^^

Shiemi
2006-06-12, 02:42
Well... My name means Praised. My second name means Happy and Victorious. And no, I won't put the names here. I'm simply typing the meanings. :p My maiden name is Italian, but changed a bit and I have no idea what it means. Hubby's last name means something like between rivers. I think that's what okaasan told me about the Kanjis...

Lost
2006-06-12, 03:19
My real name means Enduring; Everflowing in Hebrew. :)

SweetSpring
2006-06-12, 04:51
i will not say my name but it means a spoiled child.

npal
2006-06-12, 05:00
:p You people are too paranoid :p

JanthraX^
2006-06-12, 05:20
Janak Patel

not its not polish =D

Janak - A Hindu Diety that protected the planets i think.
Patel - farmers from the indian state of Gujurat.

Lumiliun
2006-06-12, 06:44
How's it pronounced? Like "Ir-dsha" or like "Ir-ja".
Russian or Swedisch: it is a great name; all the more cause it means 'peace'. We need more Irinas these days ...

I as the "i" in "hit"
R .... umm... not an english r... not sure how to explain... like the "r" in "sakura"?
J as the "y" in "yeah"
A as the last "a" in "anata"

...close enough....

Radiosity
2006-06-12, 06:51
R = soft rolling sound using the tongue rather than the hard 'arr' sound we use in English :)

So it would be pronounced pretty much like Ilya in Fate/ Stay Night?

npal
2006-06-12, 06:53
Not really. I thought about it but Ilya has a clear /i/ there, not a "y" from yeah sound. That j probably sounds like the German j in "ja".

Radiosity
2006-06-12, 06:57
Hmm, yeah that sounds more likely.

Gaiarth
2006-06-12, 07:25
Nobody actually knows where my name comes from...

I favour the theory that it derives from an Irish name meaning 'greatness', obviously :D

Lumiliun
2006-06-12, 08:05
it's more a hard rolling r... ummm... with the the tounge closer to the teeth than an english r...
(i'm really bad at giving examples)

npal
2006-06-12, 08:10
I think we got it. It's either a japanese or a greek r, it can't be anything else I think :p Although in greek ρ, the tongue doesn't stay in one place, like a slight vibration.

Lumiliun
2006-06-12, 10:30
that sounds about right

Dei-Dei
2006-06-12, 20:10
My name is God, so yeah. I have power over all of you..wheee...

Ziv
2006-06-13, 02:17
It means "who is like God?", which doesnt make any sense at all. So my name is really a question, that noone knows the answer of... :uhoh:
That's the point. It's a rhetorical question.

My name is Liam which is an Irish variant of William which means "determined protector"
http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/William

^Aya^
2006-06-13, 05:46
Laura :D

Usage: English, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian, Finnish, Hungarian, Polish

Pronounced: LOR-a, LAWR-a, LOW-rah (Spanish, Italian) [key]
Feminine form of the Late Latin name Laurus, which meant "laurel". In ancient Rome the leaves of laurel trees were used to create victors' garlands. Saint Laura was a 9th-century Spanish martyr, a nun who was thrown into a vat of molten lead by the Moors. Another famous bearer was Laura Secord, a Canadian heroine during the War of 1812.

Dunno if "laura" exist in japanese :uhoh:

Roopoo
2006-06-13, 12:58
My name is Dianne and it means huntress. Not quite sure what I am hunting for though. The origin is French although I have also seen it referred to as Greek and Latin.

Paper Lilies
2006-06-13, 13:26
My name is Kathryne, a variant of Katherine.

Usage: English

Pronounced: KATH-u-rin, KATH-rin

From the Greek name Αικατερινη (Aikaterine). The etymology is debated: it could derive from the earlier Greek name ‘Εκατερινη (Hekaterine), which came from ‘εκατερος (Hekateros) "each of the two"; it could derive from the name of the goddess HECATE; it could be related to Greek αικια (aikia) "torture"; or it could be from a Coptic name meaning "my consecration of your name". The Romans associated it with Greek καθαρος (katharos) "pure" and changed their spelling from Katerina to Katharina to reflect this. The name belonged to a 4th-century saint and martyr from Alexandria who was tortured on the famous Catherine wheel. Another saint by this name was Catherine of Siena, a 14th-century mystic. This name was also borne by two empresses of Russia, including Catherine the Great, and by three of Henry VIII's wives

So my first name means 'Each of the Two,' 'torture,' 'my consecration of your name,' and 'pure.'

Whoa. That's alot to swallow.

------------------------

My middle name is Anne.

Usage: French, English, German, Scandinavian, Finnish, Basque

Pronounced: AN (English) [key]

French form of HANNAH. This is the name traditionally assigned to the mother of the Virgin Mary, though she is not mentioned in the Bible. The name was borne by a 17th-century English queen and also by the second wife of Henry VIII, Anne Boleyn (the mother of Queen Elizabeth I), who was eventually beheaded in the Tower of London.

All right. Virgin Mary-momma. Next!

------------------------

My last name is Harper.

Pronounced: HAHR-pur [key]

From an Old English surname which originally belonged to a person who played the harp or who made harps.

Cool. I can live with that.

Rin-Sama
2006-06-13, 13:40
My Middle name "Emory" means "Master of the House" in Dutch.

black shadow
2006-06-14, 20:48
my name is an arabic name i looked once in the arabic dictionary and i found out

that the meaning is so cool it mean

the stubborn

and every time my mom told me to do somthing and i dont i tell her no one make
u into nameing me stubboren i mean the behave comes from the name ..loool ~_^

Roopoo
2006-06-15, 00:12
my name is an arabic name i looked once in the arabic dictionary and i found out

that the meaning is so cool it mean

the stubborn

and every time my mom told me to do somthing and i dont i tell her no one make
u into nameing me stubboren i mean the behave comes from the name ..loool ~_^

So what is your arabic name?

black shadow
2006-06-15, 08:01
Anood عنود
some add AL-Anood to it but i like it simple ...

Roopoo
2006-06-15, 08:53
Anood is a nice name but is it male or female?

black shadow
2006-06-15, 10:26
thanx ..it is a female only ..

Kasrkin Squad
2006-06-15, 11:28
My last name has no meaning I beleive but I know Ahmed means highly praised.

SpaceKnight
2006-06-15, 12:19
Haha, my means The handsome king of the world. I'm a chinese ^^

Deathkillz
2006-06-15, 12:22
lolz im chinese too ^^ my name (chun yen in chinese) means hard working and smart...though im the complete opposite of hard working XD

npal
2006-06-15, 13:54
though im the complete opposite of hard working XD

Aren't most of us? :p Everybody wants to have time to relax and do things he likes rather than what must be done to survive. To be free rather than work your ass off for someone else (your boss, the system, etc.). To be able to think and not work like a machine... To be human...

Or just be plain lazy, pick a word :p

Vaines
2006-06-16, 06:21
My first name, Patrik, comes from the 100 Roman families of the "founding fathers", which means my first name means somewhat "leader" or "member of the leading council". As for my last name, it's a slavic name meaning "son of a sailor". Interesting mixture :)

Vaines
2006-06-16, 06:23
My name is Dianne and it means huntress. Not quite sure what I am hunting for though. The origin is French although I have also seen it referred to as Greek and Latin.

It doesn't exactly mean that, but Diane (which is the normal way of typing it) was the ancient goddess of hunting. Diane in itself doesn't mean hunting, unless it means that in some language like arabic.

complich8
2006-06-16, 14:05
First name is from Hebrew for "Beloved", after a famous king known for his wisdom and versatility. Middle name is the name of a well-known roman general.

My last name is apparently "again" in the language of its origin. It's also the acronym for a university with around 20,000 students, and almost everyone who's seen it without first meeting me expects me to be Chinese -- except for Chinese people, who know that that's not a chinese word.

I sort of wish I had my mom's family name, though. It's much cooler ... it means "seeing through the fog" or something to that effect.

srb
2006-06-18, 05:26
My name is Emil. It comes from the Roman family name Aemilius and the latin word aemulus, which means rival. My middle name is Olaf, which means "Ancestor's descendant". My last name is Svensson, which means "Son of Sven", and "Sven" is from Old Norse "Sveinn" or Old Swedish "Svenn", which means "boy".

:/

Ghettobob
2006-06-18, 13:41
My name is Tyler. I think it means, tilist. Someone that works with tiles are something :/

Timeless Enigma
2006-06-18, 17:05
I won't post my real name, but I will say its meaning in the language it is from is Saturday. My middle name means "cannot be deceived."

-Mad Skillz-
2006-06-18, 18:17
My name is Boris, it is the short form of Borislav, which is of slavic origin and means "fame in battle." Literal translation is "battle glory" ("bor" meaning battle and "slav" meaning glory).

n.a
2006-06-18, 19:24
my first name is a derived from hebrew and means wealthy

Kamiru
2006-08-23, 07:47
My first name is french, having it's origin from a boys' name though it is the name of a Japanese rose.

Syaoran
2006-08-23, 10:16
Mine (Johan) means "god is gracious" >_<
That's so dull...

Shakugan no Shana
2006-08-23, 16:56
My first Name, "Famous Land".
My Last Name... Is no where on the web. I have searched for "Records" of my last name for over 7 years... And I have not found 1 record of the past of my last name no where. No where on America it existed before... It seems my last name might be from Asia or Europe. Some friends say it might be "English/Irish/Polish"... I checked there... No records.... I don't know who my family was.... My real Family ofcourse... Still no meaning... Nor my Real Family's name or the family who adopted me have no records. Legally I am the second to have the last name, My mother was the first... After my adoption, everyone in the family mostly switched my name, I didn't know about this until i was 15. *Got sad, ran away* But things are ok now...

Sazelyt
2006-08-23, 17:30
I am not sure about the other countries, but in my country - Turkey, if I am not mistaken almost all the traditional names (total minus a few thousands maybe not including the minority Christians or Jews, no idea regarding the origin of their names) have some kind of meaning regardless of their origin (Turkish, Persian, Arabic, Greek, Armenian, other Balkanian and Caucasian countries). Interestingly, even though they have meanings, many of those names (maybe most of them) can only be used as person names, not as a word to represent their original meaning. The remaining meaningless portion belongs to people who have parents that wanna try something strange or wanna adopt a name from another country and change a few syllables to fit the Turkish alphabet (not counted as meaningful because of not preserving the original form).

Guido
2006-08-23, 17:32
My name = Andrés, the Spanish form of Andrew which means manly or courageous.

Or for a more technical definition:

From the Greek name Ανδρεας (Andreas), which derives from ανηρ (aner) "man" (genitive ανδρος (andros) "of a man").

BIBLIOGRAPHY.
Behind the Name: View Name: Andrew - http://www.behindthename.com/php/view.php?name=andrew

Ji Ji
2006-08-23, 19:02
Yeah, my name Julia means Little Pearl or "The One With Soft Hair" serious.

Lilium
2006-08-26, 12:03
My name is Maria.
So in english it would be Mary.
Usual English form of Maria, which was the Latin form of the New Testament Greek names Μαριαμ (Mariam) or Μαρια (Maria) (the spellings are interchangeable), which were from the Hebrew name מִרְיָם (Miryam). The meaning is not known for certain, but there are several theories including "sea of bitterness", "rebelliousness", and "wished for child". However it was most likely originally an Egyptian name, perhaps derived in part from mry "beloved" or "love".
Sea of bitterness and rebelliousness?
I like it^^

BellaD
2006-08-26, 20:12
My name has no meaning at all... yes I am one of those poor people who's parents didnt think about the meaning they just thought it sounded good :p...

TinyRedLeaf
2006-08-28, 23:00
This is my Chinese name: 叶志鸿

In Pinyin, Ye Zhi Hong. In Wade-Giles, Yip Ch'i H'ung (I think. I've never studied this system. It's a terrible pronunciation system anyway, in my opinion :p )

叶 is my family name, which literally means "leaf".
志鸿 is my given name. 志 translates approximately into "purpose", "will" or "determination" (it's difficult to translate exactly, as there isn't an equivalent concept in English). 鸿 means "great (as in magnitude)" or "long distance".

So my name can mean, "great determination", or "great purpose". I happen to like my name very much . :D

makeyourself
2006-08-29, 06:56
My name in Arabic apparently means something which is famous.
Umair

Rurik
2006-09-01, 13:08
My Name means "famous ruler"..gezz, I’m neither Famous or a ruler..well maybe a ruler of My Room........ and its a very rare and umcomom name in this side of the Planet.

Well I was named after a Famous Nordic Ruler who Founded the Kiev (russia)..He even had his own Dynasty...Cool

horsdhaleine
2006-09-01, 13:57
i think cherry means virgin.
my parents named me well...

and oh... my surname means lazy. perfect for describing my family.

Laharu
2006-09-01, 14:02
My name has two meanings.

1st = Winter's Breath
2nd = Born in the Dark Waters

Lonewolf
2006-09-03, 13:41
1st:From the Hebrew name זְכַרְיָה (Zekaryah) which meant "YAHWEH remembers". Zechariah was a minor prophet of the Old Testament, author of the Book of Zechariah. This is also the name of the father of John the Baptist in the New Testament, who was temporarily made dumb because of his disbelief

2nd:English form of the Late Latin Jacomus which was derived from Ιακωβος (Iakobos), the New Testament Greek form of יַעֲקֹב (Ya'aqov) (see JACOB). This is the name of two apostles in the New Testament. The first was Saint James the Greater, the apostle John's brother, who was beheaded by Herod Agrippa in the Book of Acts. The second was James the Lesser, son of Alphaeus. Another James (known as James the Just) is also mentioned in the Bible as being the brother of Jesus. Kings of England and Scotland have borne this name. Other famous bearers include the inventor of the steam engine James Watt, the explorer Captain James Cook, and the novelist and poet James Joyce.

I cant find my last name but I do know it's Germanic

Alu
2006-09-03, 14:54
Some here already know my name, but either way I see no rong in posting it so :)

"Alice"
..there have been times in my life where I hated my name.., and others when I liked it..

Usage: English, French, Portuguese ( hmm.. what else ? ^^ )
Pronounced: AL-is / a-LEES
Short form of the Old French Adelais, itself a short form of Adalheidis (Germanic name composed of the elements adal "noble" and heid "kind, sort, type")

And as we can see.., not realy much of a profound meaning..; but in the end..., I realy couldn't see myself with a diferent one ;)

..::Hacker::..
2006-09-03, 19:38
My name is Carey and it means 'Decendent of the Dark'

Mitsu
2007-04-23, 18:14
Wow Iwish I knew if my name ment anything . My real name is Sarah....:sad: could someone tell me what it means if there is any meaning to this stupid name?

ibreatheanime
2007-04-23, 18:29
My name is actually kinda funny. My first name is katherine which means pure, and my last name is german for woodcutter.

So put it together... my name is Pure Woodcutter

Rim sama
2007-04-23, 19:14
My name is actually kinda funny. My first name is katherine which means pure, and my last name is german for woodcutter.

So put it together... my name is Pure Woodcutter

it would b instresting if its woodsawder insted.. if u put it together.. it would mean... pure woodsawder?... n it also means u day dream alot.. xD

j/m... i say IF..

any how.. my rl name is scott,i dont think theres any special meaning to it.. tho they way i got this name is funny tho...

mom n dad was watching that one.. robotech anime.(remember its the oldschool ones... that r like english dubed)... i forgot wat was the tital..tho the plot was this main char name "scott" is trying to defeat the ailleans.. called invid? or some thing the alians pilot thos meca that look like.. crabs.. xD... n yea.. thats how i got my name.. i kn i m off topic just care to share.. xD

Vexx
2007-04-23, 20:51
Wow Iwish I knew if my name ment anything . My real name is xxxxx xxxxxxx ....:sad: could someone tell me what it means if there is any meaning to this stupid name?

Did you *really* intend on posting your full name here on a public forum?

My first name meaning depends on what language it gets parsed in....

in old english, it meant 'broad' which variously meant 'wide meadow' or 'open clearing' .... very exciting, eh?

Yours means
Means "lady" or "princess" in Hebrew. This was the name of the wife of Abraham in the Old Testament. She became the mother of Isaac at the age of 90. Her name was originally שָׂרָי (http://www.behindthename.com/support/transcribe.php?type=HB&target=S%5E%5Earay) (Saray), but God changed it (see Genesis 17:15).

See? Much more exciting....

KNETTER2000
2007-04-24, 02:35
Mine seems to mean "Rich Friend" based on english or "True Friend" based on the dutch interpretation.. it also says that Saint Edwin was the first Christian king of Northumbria and a martyr.

My last name hasn't got a real meaning I guess.. It is taken from a river or canal that runs nearby wich was dug around 1280 and the name goes back to as far as 1390.

Furuno
2007-04-24, 02:49
Well my name meanings quite good... in my language my first name (given name) meaning would be something like "Brave son of August" and my last name (family name) would be "Full moon".

If straightly read in japanese (not translated) the meaning would be "Fallen One" (furuno).

Alexandrite
2007-04-24, 09:54
Well, my name is already shared with at least one other person here. It means "God is my judge", which, given the fact that I don't believe in one, marks it as irony, and I do so love irony.

My last name is pretty self-explanatory, but since I'm not giving it out... :P I do wager though, if last name is anything to guess by, one of my ancestors was responsible for taxing the crap out of the American colonies. There's a mark of pride right there. :twitch:

JagdPanther
2007-04-24, 10:42
My first name is Christopher, which means "Christ Bearer." Known that for a long time now. :)

Hoo-ah!

Spectacular_Insanity
2007-04-24, 10:47
My name is Casey, and in Celtic it means "watchful" or "guardian".

Risaa
2007-04-25, 15:56
English: "God is my oath".

In Japanese it's a little difficult because the kanji doesn't really make sense. It's composed of the "ri", which means "reason". The second kanji is "sa", which is "sand". So... "reasonable sand"? :p I'd type out the kanji, but I can't figure out how to get my Japaneseyness to show up. ><

iluvnuriko
2007-04-26, 08:21
Shagufta is my first name and its Persian. It means the first dew drop on a flower or something....and my surname is Pereira but i don't think that means anything.

Lelouch
2007-04-26, 12:28
Oscar
Means "deer lover", derived from Gaelic os "deer" combined cara "lover
Could also represent a revival of an Old English name (meaning "god spear" from Old English os "god" and gar "spear").

On the whole I like god spear better....Deer lover just sounds too wierd

keeping my surnam personal, but I will give the meaning
"surpassing" in Chinese.

ShikaShika
2007-04-26, 12:53
Kristian, meaning (if I'm correctly informed) simply 'christian', which couldn't have hit much further from the mark as I can't stand religion. I've actually come to appreciate Buddhism and Shintoism after coming to Japan, but Christianity is just too 'in your face' and condemning for me to bear.

English: "God is my oath".

In Japanese it's a little difficult because the kanji doesn't really make sense. It's composed of the "ri", which means "reason". The second kanji is "sa", which is "sand". So... "reasonable sand"? :p I'd type out the kanji, but I can't figure out how to get my Japaneseyness to show up. ><

理砂?

Tatsumiko
2007-04-26, 12:59
My name means : peaceful , calm and uninfected by disturbence

can also be refered as "serene"

..^-^

Risaa
2007-04-26, 14:50
???

So, so close! I thought that was how to write it too, but I checked with my (heavenly, beautiful, kind, gentle) teacher, and she said that in the name "risa", often times the other "sa" (also meaning sand) is used. Hmm, how to describe it... The "sa" you wrote has nine strokes; the one I use has seven strokes. (This is so vague. I'm sorry! :heh: )

Edit: see? That's what I'm talking about. Even when I copy kanji, when I go to post it (on any forum, not just animesuki), it just appears as question marks. Evil! >:[

NoSanninWa
2007-04-26, 16:42
Edit: see? That's what I'm talking about. Even when I copy kanji, when I go to post it (on any forum, not just animesuki), it just appears as question marks. Evil! >:[
That's probably a browser issue and it can be fixed. If you want help with it please post in our Tech Support Forum. Make sure you say what web browser you use! And make sure you say which version of that browser. (Click on Help -> About to find the version number.)

ShikaShika
2007-04-26, 21:14
So, so close! I thought that was how to write it too, but I checked with my (heavenly, beautiful, kind, gentle) teacher, and she said that in the name "risa", often times the other "sa" (also meaning sand) is used. Hmm, how to describe it... The "sa" you wrote has nine strokes; the one I use has seven strokes. (This is so vague. I'm sorry! :heh: )

Then 理沙? It was the IME standard reading for Risa, but since I'm more familiar with 砂 for sand I edited it myself.

Maes Hughes
2007-04-26, 21:27
Daniel = "God is my judge"

Ditto.

Not exactly very fitting; I don't believe in God and hate religion.

princevanfanel
2007-04-27, 01:18
xXD my name has no meaning, SWEEEEEEEET!!!

just kidding o.o

i don't like my name. so i'm not going to say what it is.

Suhaki
2007-04-27, 07:59
My name is Lukas and that means...
The citizen of some city in Italy it's name "Lukanija"

Jamezterr
2007-04-27, 09:29
My name James means..

The Supplanter.

Alexandrite
2007-04-27, 10:07
Ditto.

Not exactly very fitting; I don't believe in God and hate religion.
It seems there are a few Daniels here. Interesting. I wasn't expecting that, honestly. :heh: I'm not alone!

Kyuusai
2007-04-27, 12:30
My name is an English variant of a common (and historically relevant) Hebrew name. My nick here is just a direct translation of it, minus the untranslatable prefix it has which essentially is short for "YWH" and, in context, means "YWH is...".

A clever person could easily figure out my given name that way. :)

Sadly, without kanji, people just think I've nicknamed myself "Nine Years Old".

shiro83
2007-04-29, 12:09
My chinese name carries the meaning of handsome.
The sad thing is I am not...

ProzacFairy
2007-04-30, 09:09
My name (Sarah) is hebrew in origin and means princess

-KarumA-
2007-04-30, 09:51
My name (Esther) means somehting like liberator.. supposed to come from an old woman who freed jews (?) i think

Scourge87
2007-04-30, 13:16
My name means

"Ruler of the people from the valley"

xxmimixx
2007-04-30, 20:33
Rachel means "Little lamb" in Hebrew I think. It camefrom the bible for people's information.

Venser
2007-04-30, 22:39
Mine is Claude...which means "lame" in Latin.

Oh well, and since I'm chinese as well, my surname is "Rao" which means forgive.

So...well... forgive me for being so lame. =X

Icehawk
2007-05-01, 00:19
Joshua, derived from old hebrew which meant "God is my salvation". Too bad I actually lack a belief in said God. (or any gods for that matter) :)

crazy cute
2007-05-14, 08:21
mine means high place (don't like my name!)

Spectacular_Insanity
2007-05-14, 08:27
Wow, I never realized there were so many atheists on this thread... :p

felix
2007-05-14, 14:12
Beside a little corelation with the name of a saint.. No meaning.. Yay xP
That's right.. I'm glad it's meaningless..

Just kidding =P
Our names are things given to us by our parents.. so it's stupid to think yo name don have *ahm* "meaning".

Claies
2007-05-14, 15:21
My chinese name carries the meaning of handsome.
The sad thing is I am not...

*pats back* Same here, my friend. Same here. I look like crap.

Daniel E.
2007-05-14, 15:39
It seems there are a few Daniels here. Interesting. I wasn't expecting that, honestly. :heh: I'm not alone!

The more Daniels on the forum, the better. :D :heh:

Jaden
2007-05-14, 16:06
Mikko, finnish version of Mikael (archangel)

meh...

Miss Nagato
2007-05-16, 21:39
My name is Allison and it means truthful. My middle name, Arina, I found out is also a Japanese name^^

deathreape98
2007-05-17, 06:16
My real name (Tommi) is a Finnish pet form of Thomas which means...

... according to http://www.behindthename.com

Excellent site if you're interested in the history of names. :]thanks, i totally forgot about the meaning of my name. my name apparently means to conquer, its vince. i remember reading quite a while ago that it has to deal with a conquerer or somethin. who knows, maybe i will become an evil dictator and take over the world ^_^

Seda
2007-05-17, 08:00
My name is Kyla and it is apparently the Feminine form of "KYLE"..

Areguzanda
2007-05-17, 13:44
My name Alexander comes from ancient Greece (Alexandros) and means "Protector of mankind"

(My nick Areguzanda is the japanese version of Alexander )
:D

crystar
2007-05-20, 07:55
My real name is a Chinese name, and the characters to write my name carries the meaning of something to do with literature and one who likes stories basically. A most befitting name considering I really am someone who likes stories (whether they be by word of mouth, novels, video games, anime, movies, etc.) That and I study English Literature as my major.

Mmm... an example of your name marking out your destiny...

Princess_of_Hell
2007-05-20, 15:56
My real name is Melanie. It doesn't have any Japanese meaning to it and is a Greek name. I recall Serial Experiments Lain cuz the name Lain is related to Melanie.

Melanie (http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Melanie)

HyperHikari
2007-05-20, 16:56
My name is Noora. Its of Arab origin (Nur) meaning Light. Hence, thats why my chosen nick is Hikari. I use Hikari everywhere now (well of course not so much in say when applying for a job :p)

Silver Dragon
2007-05-20, 17:22
My name is Mary Harris, Mary means bitter Harris means...I dont know but it means somthing! >O

moochuchuu
2007-06-30, 03:17
i'm not sure if my english name has any meaning to it, vivian. but my chinese name means beautiful cloud, i think...:uhoh:

arcadeplayer987
2007-06-30, 05:13
My real name is Raul but I have no ideea what it means

Daniel E.
2007-06-30, 13:41
i'm not sure if my english name has any meaning to it, vivian. but my chinese name means beautiful cloud, i think...:uhoh:

Vivian: Full of life

My real name is Raul but I have no ideea what it means

Raul: The strong advisor/counselor

:)

arcadeplayer987
2007-07-01, 10:46
lol. It's true I think, because I like helping people when I can

Shana
2007-07-02, 06:27
My name is Estela (me and 3 persons more have the same name in the world :heh:), I don't rememer good, but I think in Italian or Latin my name mean Star lol I'm a Star:rolleyes:

SilentBob
2007-07-02, 10:12
"Atle", it means "little father". Name stems from Old Norse "Atli", which in turn stems from the Gothic word "atta" which means "father".

nanafan
2007-07-02, 11:21
my full name is Rebecca which means to bind or wife of Isaac (Bible name.) my mom picked it because she thought it was pretty.

aka Providence
2008-01-13, 10:23
My name -- Yves -- means Yew, if I remember correctly.

Miko Miko
2008-01-13, 11:41
My Names Jordan, Hebrew name or something.

If i remember correctly it means to 'flow down'

The Chaos
2008-01-13, 11:51
My Name Mean One Kind Of Flowers...( Can't See It Because There A male Actor Have The Same Name) I'm Girl .. :(

Echoes
2008-01-13, 12:57
My name means roughly "God is merciful/gracious", not too sure about the exact translation there.

Ironically enough, I'm an atheist. :P

Spectacular_Insanity
2008-01-13, 15:05
Have I already posted in this thread? No matter.

My name is Casey and it's from an Irish surname which was derived from Ó Cathasaigh meaning "descendent of Cathasaigh". The name Cathasaigh means "vigilant" in Gaelic. Casey also serves as a form of CASS (feminine, short form of Cassandra). I'm a male, since this game can be used for either gender.

If you want to know what YOUR name stands for, visit this Etymology site: http://www.behindthename.com/

Jinto
2008-01-13, 15:21
If you want to know what YOUR name stands for, visit this Etymology site: http://www.behindthename.com/

Found my name there. And that is the result:

From a Germanic name which referred to a member of the Germanic tribe, the Franks. The Franks settled in the regions now called France and the Netherlands in the 3rd and 4th century. They derived their tribal name from the name of a type of spear that they used.

The Chaos
2008-01-13, 15:33

I'm Really Sad ...I Couldn't Find My Name....:sad:

Jinto
2008-01-13, 15:37
My Name Mean One Kind Of Flowers...( Can't See It Because There A male Actor Have The Same Name) I'm Girl .. :(

I'm Really Sad ...I Couldn't Find My Name....:sad:

But you seem to know what your name means. So don't be sad. From that meaning I have to suspect it is an asian name. The meaning is very figurative ;)

The Chaos
2008-01-13, 15:44
But you seem to know what your name means. So don't be sad. From that meaning I have to suspect it is an asian name. The meaning is very figurative ;)
My Parent Told Me What It Means .....And Thanks :)

Kristen
2008-01-13, 19:12
KRISTEN (2)
Pronounced: KRIS-ten [key]
Variant of KRISTIN

After looking at THAT...
KRISTIN
Usage: Scandinavian, German
Pronounced: KRIS-teen (German) [key]
Scandinavian and German form of CHRISTINA

And after looking at THAT...
CHRISTINA
Usage: English, German, Scandinavian
Pronounced: kris-TEEN-a (English), kris-TEE-nah (German) [key]
Feminine form of CHRISTIAN. This was the name of a Swedish queen of the 17th century who was interested in the arts and philosophy. She gave up her crown to become a Roman Catholic.

So, apparently my real name is a derivative of a derivative of a queen who took a new name after converting to Christianity. But, I prefer to be called by the third derivative name: Chrissie

symbiotes_021
2008-01-13, 19:38
My Full name is quite long - Mohd Khairul Azmee.

My parent says that all of me an my other 2 brother's name has a meaning. But I don't know and don't remember what my name's meaning are.

*UPDATE & EDIT*

Fond the meanings of my name and they are:

Muhammad : محمد Praised, lauded, commended, praiseworthy. (Well, Mohd is commonly used in Malaysia and have the same pronouncation and meaning as Muhammad)

Khairul Bashar : خیرالبشر Best of mankind, an epithet of the Prophet Muhammad. (I tried to find Khairul but only manage to find Khairl Bashar. Well, thats close enough.)

Azmi : عزمی One who fulfils his promise. (Again, same pronouncation and meaning as Azmee)

Kyuusai
2008-01-13, 19:46
So, apparently my real name is a derivative of a derivative of a queen who took a new name after converting to Christianity. But, I prefer to be called by the third derivative name: Chrissie

Well, just to put my nose in and be a jerk ( :D ), her conversion was from Protestantism to Roman Catholicism.

I find it interesting that you prefer not only a shortened pronunciation, but also an alternate spelling. Any particular reason behind that, or just a maiden's sense of style? :)

Figucher
2008-01-14, 03:13
My real name is Mikko, which is Finnish form of Michael.

According to behindthename.com: From the Hebrew name מִיכָאֵל (Mikha'el) which meant "who is like God?". This is the name of one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only one identified as an archangel in the Bible. In the Book of Revelation in the New Testament he is portrayed as the leader of heaven's armies, and thus is considered the patron saint of soldiers.

As an atheist, I found this pretty funny. Oh well :D

RavenHawk
2008-01-14, 03:17
My name means "wolf counselor". Hey, maybe that's why I love wolves so much.

EXEs
2008-01-14, 05:02
According to me parents, my Chinese name means intelligent:博 and humbleness/modesty:謙. Full Chinese name is 蔡博謙 (Pinyin: cŕi bó qiān). Btw I'm from Hong Kong so it's pronounced "Choy Bok Him". My english name shall be disclosed.

I have shamed my parents, my ancestors, and myself, for not living up to my name. May the heavens strike me with lighting.

Kristen
2008-01-14, 08:31
Well, just to put my nose in and be a jerk ( :D ), her conversion was from Protestantism to Roman Catholicism.

I find it interesting that you prefer not only a shortened pronunciation, but also an alternate spelling. Any particular reason behind that, or just a maiden's sense of style? :)

Well, my parents named me Kristen. But, you know how adults like to call people with "y" or "ie" on the end? So, I was called "Krissy", because it made me happy. It sounded much better to me at a young age than "Kristen". But, once I learned to read and write, my mom showed me my nickname on paper. I hated how it looked. But, I soon learned that you can spell it "Chrissie", and I liked that form, so I adapted it. I mean, right now I have no problems with the name "Kristen", but I'm just so used to being "Chrissie" that it'd be hard for me to change back.

Dxon
2008-01-14, 10:42
Interesting. I forgot to search for the meaning of my many name many times.
And I searched now and I found. ^^

My name: Eelco
Is germanic (Not german. GERMANIC!) for nobility.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germania
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_peoples
I'm a boy with a noble name. ^^

siya
2008-01-14, 11:52
I don't think my first name does...Cory.....Don't think so....My last name on the other hand is a name you all wish you had! My last name is Noob in Internet Language.....My last name is Newby, Pronounce "Noobie"..It is soo cools!

ReizoSan
2008-01-14, 11:56
My first name means "Meadow" and my surname is not there not even in the polish part (Its polish :D but im not though)

whitewater_81
2008-01-15, 05:23
I really dunno....:?

Zero Shinohara
2008-01-15, 11:40
Yeah, mine has a pretty deep meaning behind it.

You see, when my grandfather was born, Nurses thought it was funny to write the baby's baptism names with colored crayons. That way, whoever did his registration mistook the M for a W due to that nurse's poor handwriting and nunchucks skills and it's been like that ever since. I have a uncle who is named with the same crazy ass, nobodoy-can-say-or-spell-it name and sometimes I feel like I should change my name to Bob. But you see, he passed away a week before I was born. And so my mother and father decided that, in his honor, they should name me after him. Which is not something I regret.

mrvetle
2008-01-15, 18:21

CeDeR
2008-01-15, 18:43
RODRIGO

Usage: Spanish, Portuguese, Italian

Pronounced: rawd-REE-go (Spanish, Italian) [key]
Spanish, Portuguese and Italian form of RODERICK

Spectacular_Insanity
2008-01-15, 20:20
Well, this is interesting, I just remembered.... my original birth name when I was a baby (before i was adopted) was Haneul Yoon (하늘 윤) (Yoon was my surname). I don't have a generational name, because the nurses in the hospital (in Seoul) named me. Funny enough, my name was the second one on the Korean name page. :heh:

"Haneul" means "heaven" or "sky" in Korean. "Yoon" is a pretty common last name and first name (f) both, and means means "allow" or "consent" from Sino-Korean 允. I'm a boy, but Haneul can be both a boy's or girl's name.

Kotaku
2008-01-15, 20:40
Oh hey EXEs, guess I kinda know how you feel, don't let a name put you down or put pressure onto you. It's just how parents are, especially Chinese ones...

Well my family stands for Warmth.

My first name translaters as Conqueror, and the hypenated part stands for Country.

So technically, I'm the Warm Conqueror of Countries... Or something similar to that...

Not that I'll be invading any countries.... Nor becoming very warm either! ;)

SolarNova
2008-01-16, 05:36
Well figured i would add my names meaning here since iv rarely known someone who has the same name.. well atleast spelt the same.

DUANE

Usage: English, Irish

Pronounced: DWAYN, du-WAYN [key]

Variant of DWAYNE

DWAYNE

Usage: English, Irish

Pronounced: DWAYN, du-WAYN [key]

Anglicized form of the Gaelic name Dubhan which means "little and dark", derived from dubh "dark, black" combined with a diminutive suffix.

From other sources i found it also means "Shadowy" or "Shadowy one".

Im white/English btw :D

Kisara
2008-01-16, 05:58
VICTORIA;
Feminine form of VICTORIUS. This name was borne by a long-reigning queen of England. A Canadian city bears this name in her honour, as well as an Australian state and several other geographic areas.

Means "victory" in Latin. Victoria was the Roman goddess of victory.

Mon Cheri
2008-01-16, 11:30
Malin is a swedish short form of Magdalene, which mean "of Magdala". Mary Magdalene, a character in the New Testament, was named thus because she was from Magdala - a village on the sea of Galilee whose name meant "tower" in Hebrew.

.. soo.. my name means "Tower"..:heh:

GT4md
2008-01-16, 17:31
MICHAEL From the Hebrew name מִיכָאֵל (Mikha'el) which meant "who is like God?". This is the name of one of the *seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only one identified as an archangel in the Bible. In the Book of Revelation in the New Testament he is portrayed as the leader of heaven's armies, and thus is considered the patron saint of soldiers.

This was the name of nine Byzantine emperors and a czar of Russia. Other more modern bearers of this name include the 19th-century chemist/physicist Michael Faraday and basketball player Michael Jordan.

*Actually archangels are 3. Michael, Gabriel and Raphael.

Cold~as~Ice
2012-06-21, 11:49
Sergio
http://www.behindthename.com/

this is what it had to say

Meaning & History
Roman family name, possibly meaning "servant" in Latin but most likely of unknown Etruscan origin. Saint Sergius was a 4th-century Roman officer who was martyred in Syria. He is the patron saint of Christian desert nomads. Another saint by this name (in the Russian form Sergey) was a 14th-century Russian spiritual leader. The name was also borne by four popes

NoemiChan
2012-06-21, 12:04
Sherwyn.... It means nothing... same pronounciation as Sherwin...changed I to Y to be unique...

My friends call me Wyn (strangers pronounce it as Wine) while others Sher or Lobs (as lobes).

Oopss, I opened too much...:heh:

Endless Soul
2012-06-21, 12:12
Gene, short for Eugene

Meaning & History
English form of Eugenius, the Latin form of the Greek name Ευγενιος (Eugenios) which was derived from the Greek word ευγενης (eugenes) meaning "well born". It is composed of the elements ευ "good, well" and γενης (genes) "born". This was the name of several saints and four popes.

This name was not particularly common in Western Europe during the Middle Ages. It became more popular in part due to the fame of Prince Eugene of Savoy (1663-1736), a French-born general who served the Austrian Empire. A notable bearer was the American playwright Eugene O'Neill (1888-1953).

Endless "Well born" Soul

MUAHAHAHAHAHA
2012-06-21, 12:31
Apparently, my Chinese name means "pure summer lotus".

mangamuscle
2012-06-21, 12:36
My name means "(ruler, leader, king) and "hard" (strong, brave, court), therefore it means powerful".

My surname means "son of the hammer"

My other surname is the name of a bird of the family of the Ardeidae.

*strikes rightful pose*

mystogan
2012-06-21, 12:36
My name means 'The Immortal Drink' or you can also call it 'The Drink of the Gods'

MUAHAHAHAHAHA
2012-06-21, 12:45
^Sounds really majestic.

NoemiChan
2012-06-21, 12:48
My name means 'The Immortal Drink' or you can also call it 'The Drink of the Gods'

Ambrosia?!

Kirito
2012-06-21, 12:52
My name means water or oak. Weird because because I'm not a fan of water and as for oaks well...

I'll shut up now!!

mystogan
2012-06-21, 13:49
^Sounds really majestic.
thank you,it is majestic, you gotta try one :heh:
Ambrosia?!
you got that meaning right buddy, but that's not my real name :p

Flower
2012-06-21, 13:51
My name means "victor over the rulers of the people".... ._.

Rayrah
2012-06-21, 14:01
My first name means "man, warrior". And my surname is derived from the Russian word "беляк", which means "white hare" or "white rabbit".

mangamuscle
2012-06-21, 14:04
My first name means "man, warrior". And my surname is derived from the Russian word "беляк", which means "white hare" or "white rabbit".

Something like these? ^^;

http://i.imgur.com/Boeb6.jpg

Rayrah
2012-06-21, 14:16
Something like these? ^^;

http://i.imgur.com/Boeb6.jpg
Oh, you. :heh:

But no, something more like this:

http://i.imgur.com/E7Unsl.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/E7Uns.jpg)
Fear me?

Malkuth
2012-06-21, 14:53
The christian name given to me means "silver" but I never use it outside bureaucratic purposes. Everyone (including family) calls me Aris/Ares, the god of war in ancient Greece.

antediluvian
2012-06-21, 16:40
The christian name given to me means "God's Honor". My last name means gloomy or morose in Gaelic.

grylsyjaeger
2012-06-21, 16:51
"The Christ Carrier".

But I ain't all that religious.

Solafighter
2012-06-21, 17:01
My name means 'rebirth'.

spikexp
2012-06-21, 17:14
Christian
Must I really say what it refer to? Even through it's my name, I'm not even a bit Christian.

mystogan
2012-06-21, 17:16
The christian name given to me means "silver" but I never use it outside bureaucratic purposes. Everyone (including family) calls me Aris/Ares, the god of war in ancient Greece.

cool, you are the God of War,there's a whole series of video game based on you :cool:

Kafriel
2012-06-21, 17:28
Hmm, it really depends on which language you're using. In English, it's James>Jacob, meaning heel. In Russian and Greek, it's Dmitri or Dimitris, deriving from the goddess of harvest/marriage, Demeter.

Drake
2012-06-21, 17:46
After a quick look about for mine there seems to be many variations but the most popular translations are "Name of God", "God has heard", "His name is God" and "Asked of God".

Learn something new everyday...

NoemiChan
2012-06-21, 18:02
I tried to search the meaning of my name and I seen were:

Old English "swift runner"

Anglo-Saxon "Quick as the Wind"

and

Middle English "bright friend".

word sux
2012-06-21, 21:39
well turns out my name in all of its forms mean "manly and courageous", soo true!:heh:

my name is Andrew and my fathers name is Drew so you can see how I got my name.

The best name meaning that I know of is my friend, his name is Harley. His fathers name is David... his father is a biker.. get it?

Harley, Davids son! hahaha

Hiroi Sekai
2012-06-21, 22:04
Well technically, I was named Thomas after the one disciple who physically felt Jesus' wounds after his crucifixion (after not believing him, so yeah...), but the name itself has a proper meaning.

Thomas: It's a Greek form of an Aramaic name which meant "twin". I like to associate this with the fact that I can understand people's viewpoints quite well, basically becoming a twin to their unique thoughts. As such, I almost never have fights with people.

Alexander: Old Greek variant name that symbolizes one that "defends".

Yoon: It's my family's name! It's a mix of two characters: one meaning "allowance/consent", and the other meaning "sleek/soft". I think that fits pretty damn well for the entire family.

Mr Hat and Clogs
2012-06-22, 01:16
Paul: Means, small or humble... which is kind of accurate. I'd say I'm more shy them humble, and I'm the shortest person among my friends/family. Tall jerks!

Francis: Means Frenchman (lolwut), and Free Man.

Not going to put my family name here, but apparently it's origin goes back to a village in England that my ancestor was rewarded with for assisting William the Conqueror in the Battle of Hastings, and he took the village name as his surname or something. The name of the village though comes from a type of crop they were growing in the fields around the village.

HasuMasu
2012-06-22, 03:05
My parents definitely didn't name me with anything in mind other than using the names of my grandfathers. :eyespin:

I'm fine with saying it here, my name is John Conrad Smith.

No really, most people think I'm kidding when I tell them I'm John Smith. :heh:

Silvance
2012-06-22, 21:53
Well, I heard from my father that my real name was from an author, and the meaning behind it is "God's Peace"

I didn't bother asking about it until I saw this thread though, so thank you. lol.

Kogetsu Shirogane
2012-06-22, 22:04
One of my names means peaceful and another is apparently derived from a word meaning victory. Not sure what that says about me, though...

I don't believe you. :p

HasuMasu
2012-06-22, 22:06
I don't believe you. :p

Every single Starbucks girl...ever. :heh:

NoemiChan
2012-06-22, 22:09

Oh, that's a good name... so.. what's your other real name?:eyespin:

HasuMasu
2012-06-22, 22:19
^ Thus, another AS running-gag was born. :eyespin::uhoh:

Lightning_Wing
2012-06-24, 14:16

May I call you Kyon?

Kismet-chan
2012-06-24, 16:43
My real name is Fanchon. It's a French name that means "to be free", "free-spirited, or "whimsical". :P

Hiroi Sekai
2012-06-24, 18:10
My parents definitely didn't name me with anything in mind other than using the names of my grandfathers. :eyespin:

I'm fine with saying it here, my name is John Conrad Smith.

Should've asked your parents to name you John Conner Smith. It'd be like some awesome crossover or something. xD

My real name is Fanchon. It's a French name that means "to be free", "free-spirited, or "whimsical". :P
Man, that's a cool name with a cool meaning.:heh:

Akuma Kinomoto
2012-06-24, 23:13
My namesake is an homage to one of the greatest conquerors of all time. It's ironic since I'm usually very passive. ._.

LMF
2012-06-25, 01:58
My name is just plain silly. Pet name for Fredrick.

Sumeragi
2012-06-25, 02:46
Beautiful Luster of Jade Child.

Dr. Casey
2012-06-25, 05:09
My name's Brendan. It means prince, raven, and... supposedly smelly hair. I prefer the first two meanings, obviously.

HasuMasu
2012-06-25, 06:05
May I call you Kyon?

Imagine my reaction when I heard him say that for the first time. :heh:

aohige
2012-06-25, 06:09
I slaughter children.

Obviously.

SaintessHeart
2012-06-25, 09:01
I slaughter children.

Obviously.

Except for the lolis? :heh:

kaito-kid
2012-06-25, 09:36
I could care less about my Dutch first name, it's Rick. But I have a interesting middle name, Rajesh! I'm biracial, my mother originates from a small island in south Asia called Sri Lanka, so she gave me a South Asian name as my middle name. Just for the lolz I guess.:heh:

Rajesh = King of kings! ...I didn't know.......tnx mom! Now I have something new to brag about!

mystogan
2012-06-25, 12:43
My name's Brendan. It means prince, raven, and... supposedly smelly hair. I prefer the first two meanings, obviously.

why not mix the first two "Prince Raven" now that sounds cool :D

Paranoid Android
2012-06-26, 09:14
In order it's written, it's 'easy-going thinker'? (Daaaad, that doesn't make any sense)

It could also mean sly/witty? 'ease' can be interpreted so many ways.

Mr.Raw
2012-06-26, 19:41
Revindra, it means: Sun

I'm always shining :D

csuree
2012-06-27, 15:16
hmmm interesting..... your name's meaning....
I searched through different archives and web pages to find out more about my name (Dorzsonszki Zsolt)

My family name "Dorzsonszki" is of Polish origin supposedly a noble who in 1848 came to Transylvania to aid the revolution, but because the russians beat down the uprising my ancestors were forced to hide in the region and the name became more hungarian after several generations

My given name "Zsolt" is of ancient Turkish origin from around 700-1100 A.D. from the word "solt" which was the title of the ruler of the ottoman empire, this word in time evolved into the "sultan" word. But before this evolution took place the hungarians took this word and made a name out of it.

well that is all i could write for now,

have fun and take care,

summer is here bikinis are a must....and i must look at them xD

Dominic Night
2012-06-27, 15:26
Dominic = of the Lord

wiki = Originally from the late Roman-Italic name "Dominicus" its translation means "Of Our Lord", "Lordly", "Belonging to God" or "of the Master"

rio
2012-07-07, 00:22
My real name is Mika, the Kanji is 美佳. I am a Japanese girl.

美(mi) means beautiful, ^^; and 佳(ka)means beautiful, or good.

That must be a too great name for me^^; but I love the name .

I want to be a person who is suited for the name.

csuree
2012-07-07, 12:17
wow a real nippon girl....that is kinda rare....
The name suits you.... 2x beautiful.....i'm sure you are beautiful and good :D....
all asian girls have a certain beauty that catches me....
i was on a holiday like 7 years ago in Hungary and i met a half vietnamese-half hungarian girl she was beautiful we hung out a few days, she even told me "i like you", but because of the distance(400km) we grew apart.

i hope we can be friends...i'm looking forward to it.

kaitok
2012-07-07, 12:31
My name's in Chinese. 诗恩 (Shi En).

诗 means poem, poetry.
恩 means... according to google translate, it's grace and loyal. Well, that sort of thing. I usually describe it as care or something along that line. Can't really translate it.

I like my name. It's kindda a unisex name and Shi sounds really intelligent to be in my name XD

I could care less about my Dutch first name, it's Rick. But I have a interesting middle name, Rajesh! I'm biracial, my mother originates from a small island in south Asia called Sri Lanka, so she gave me a South Asian name as my middle name. Just for the lolz I guess.:heh:

Rajesh = King of kings! ...I didn't know.......tnx mom! Now I have something new to brag about!

And I was looking at your username... Sheesh, our usernames are alike o__o

rio
2012-07-07, 23:50
wow a real nippon girl....that is kinda rare....
The name suits you.... 2x beautiful.....i'm sure you are beautiful and good :D....
all asian girls have a certain beauty that catches me....
i was on a holiday like 7 years ago in Hungary and i met a half vietnamese-half hungarian girl she was beautiful we hung out a few days, she even told me "i like you", but because of the distance(400km) we grew apart.

i hope we can be friends...i'm looking forward to it.

Thank you so much:)

I must be beautiful and good for some people and some times , not always though;;
That's me.

Yes, I want to be friend with you too:)

Thank you again.

Khu
2012-07-08, 00:18
Fireborn or handsome.

Chinese name means healthy.

:D

Metaler
2012-07-08, 03:14
My last name means "Son of the priest", or so my grandfather once told me.

Sir Maddy
2012-07-08, 08:07
I found out my first name means "son of the mighty warrior".
Does this mean my name is a guy's name now? :twitch:

bunnydemon326
2012-07-08, 17:21
My name is Hannah. Japanese spelling would be Hana and it means flower. In Hebrew it means favor or grace.

Eragon
2012-07-09, 10:13
My name means "Blessing". Now I'm not arrogant enough to consider myself a blessing to others but its good to know that you can be a help at least in your name:heh:

Hooves
2012-07-09, 15:16
My name is quite a popular name for Christians. Which is ironic considering I'm Agnostic, and my family is Christian.