PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favorite Shoujo Anime/Manga?

Oteck
2003-11-07, 01:56
I realy need to watch more anime but i tend to hate alot of them.
Most shows with extensive fanservice (shounen kind) makes me puke,
shows like Love hina (Ya i worked on it in the early subbing days but now
my taste matured and it's so bleh and overdone nowadays).
I can bare shoujo fanservice which is guys cross dressing but aleast
you know girls deserve some service ^^;

Anime
Azumanga Daioh
Cosmic Baton Girl Comet-san
Himechan no ribbon
Figure 17 (can't tell but it a cool show)
Fruits basket (ahhh... wish i could read more of the manga)
Full Moon wo Sagashite
Princess Tutu (Love classicals specialy Tchaikovsky's peices)
Tenshi na Konamaiki (Hurry up A-E!)
Ultra Maniac

Manga
D.N.Angel
Hanakimi
Fruits Basket
Fun Fun Factory
Good Morning Call
KareKano
Kodomo no Omocha
Marmalade boy
Mint no bokura

Kempis Curious
2003-11-07, 02:19
Hey, Im confident enough in my heterosexuality to name a few good 'uns (fav on top):

Anime
Kodocha
Princess Tutu
Oh! My Goddess
Utena
Wedding Peach (I liked it. :p Does this kind of magical girl stuff count? or are we looking at more mature girl stuff?)
CCS
Angelic Layer

Manga
(I don't do these as much.)
OMG manga
Guru Guru Ponchan (I like this one a lot.)
Milk Crown
Wedding Peach

-k

Kid
2003-11-07, 03:06
Favorite shoujo anime: Please Save My Earth, Koko wa Greenwood and Fruits Basket. Favorite shoujo manga: HanaKimi.

Does Gensomaden Saiyuki count as shoujo? If it does then it's my all time favorite! Anime and manga! :D

Dorfl
2003-11-07, 05:12
No particular order, I like (manga)
Kodomo no Omocha
Peach Girl
Fruits Basket
Kimi Shika Iranai (except the dumb, predictable way it ended)

I detest
Marmalade Boy
Kare Kano
Kaikan Phrase =_=

I used to like Hana Yori Dango, but it stretched on and on and on and I got very tired of it by the time it was finally over.
Similar thing happened with Please Save My Earth, it started off great and really went in the last couple of volumes, especially once those horrible flashback-volumes began.

Lambda
2003-11-07, 06:06
Top for me would be KareKano, followed by Utena (and Princess Tutu and SaiKano, but I'm not sure if they're shoujo or not.) Kodocha, Vampire Princess Miyu and CCS deserve a mention too.

Aurora
2003-11-07, 07:43
Several wonderful titles listed here, but I am shocked that no one has mentioned my all time favorite manga...

Mars

*patiently waits for the last volume to be released next week*

Vicious
2003-11-07, 11:33
I hate shoujos. The only one I liked is Fruit's Basket.

7thMethuselah
2003-11-07, 16:52
no one has mentioned Ayashi no Ceres yet !!!!!! :nono:

hunterx
2003-11-07, 17:23

Gaara11
2003-11-08, 13:12
Anime: Fruits Basket and Kare Kano
Manga: Fruits Basket and Kare Kano

whoaah.... that's weird. I'm sensing a pattern here.

straw
2003-11-08, 13:30
anime = fruits basket and full moon wo sagashite
manga = ichigo 100%

Zoya
2003-11-08, 14:30
Anime:
Fruits Basket
Hana Yori Dango
CCS
Full Moon wo Sagashite

Manga:
Fruits Basket
Parfait Tic
Antigravity boy
Hanazakari no Kimitahi e

Also currently really enjoying Zettai Kareshi (new by Yuu Watase.)

bluemist
2003-11-08, 21:14
Anime
Cardcaptor Sakura (my first anime!)
Fruits Basket
Full Moon wo Sagashite
Hana Yori Dango (and I even have Meteor Garden! the shame...)
Karekano
Kodomo no Omocha
Marmalade Boy (possibly where I had the longest marathon)
Super GALS! Kotobuki Ran
Ultra Maniac

Manga
Atashi wa Bambi (short but cute!)
Cardcaptor Sakura
Fruits Basket (my first manga!)
Full Moon wo Sagashite
GALS!
Good Morning Call
Hana Yori Dango
Hanakimi
Ichigo Channel
Karekano
Kodomo no Omocha (I collect the Tokyopop manga)
Marmalade Boy
Mint na Bokura
Ultra Maniac

Yup, all of my favorite shoujo anime has a manga counterpart.

I 'can't' take yaoi in my shoujo, but I can deal with Hanakimi and Mint na Bokura because they are just crossdressing. If it were real man-to-man I would bleh...

Kyuven
2003-11-09, 03:30
Angelic Layer
-k
wrong-o, though most of the cast was female (ok ok there were only 3 male main characters) Angelic Layer was classified as a shounen anime (even CLAMP admits to this)
my favorites:
Anime:
Fruits Basket
Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch (even i don't know why i like this series)

Manga:
Kare Kano
Ichigo 100%

LiQuid|J
2003-11-10, 06:50
Shoujo definately isn't one of my favorite genres but there have definately been some titles that stuck out.

Anime
Fruits Basket
CCS

Manga
Kare Kano
Paradise Kiss

Kempis Curious
2003-11-10, 19:23
wrong-o, ... Angelic Layer was classified as a shounen anime (even CLAMP admits to this)

With the avatar you chose, I was expecting "Baka." :D
Please forgive the mistake. :bow:
Some of the best anime don't fit neatly in a genre, thank goodness. That would get awful boring.

-k

LuciaMelody
2003-11-12, 17:54
Ceres, Mermaid Melody, Card Captor Sakura, Vampire Princess, Sailor Moon...eh, Im sure Ill remember more later on ....

Also I dont know if these are shoujo.. -> Twelve Kindgdoms, Shamanic Princess, Gestalt??? :confused:

Keops
2003-11-13, 07:39
My favorite shoujo anime/manga also happens to be my favorite series of all times (I think I already posted this on the thread about favorite series).

It's the one and only Cardcaptor Sakura by CLAMP. One of the prime examples of the mahou shoujo genre ^^

See you.

Kyuven
2003-11-13, 12:19
oh yes, Ah! my goddess is also not Shoujo, it's Romance/Comedy (tho it's pretty close to shoujo)

Lambda
2003-11-13, 12:52
In particular, Ah! My Goddess is aimed at a male audience, like Love Hina, Maison Ikkoku and Yawara.

LuciaMelody
2003-11-17, 15:50
Is 12 kingdoms Shoujo?

By the way, how do u know if something is shojo or not. I know SHoujo is anything that is targeted towards girls.....
Is everything devided by Shoujo/shonen? :confused:

Gaara11
2003-11-17, 15:57
Is 12 kingdoms Shoujo?

By the way, how do u know if something is shojo or not. I know SHoujo is anything that is targeted towards girls.....
Is everything devided by Shoujo/shonen? :confused:

12 Kingdoms shoujo? I don't think so, but its very emotional though...but a lot of action/fighting as well. Not sure about this one but I'll say Shonen.

Regarding Shonen/Shojo division, yes, its divided that way but there are more than just the two.

LuciaMelody
2003-11-17, 16:03
I only saw 1 eps. of 12 Kingdoms so far (my dvd is in the mail) but it really looked like Fushigy Yuugi... So i assumed its shojo. (FY has lots of fighting too...)

So there is anime out there that is not Shojo or Shonen? Do u have an example?

It very strange but...sometimes it seems to me that all of the anime that is classified as Shoujo is always super cute....like Sakura and Bottle Fairy.

Gaara11
2003-11-17, 16:23
I only saw 1 eps. of 12 Kingdoms so far (my dvd is in the mail) but it really looked like Fushigy Yuugi... So i assumed its shojo. (FY has lots of fighting too...)

It very strange but...sometimes it seems to me that all of the anime that is classified as Shoujo is always super cute....like Sakura and Bottle Fairy.

Yaoi - for gays, hentai - not for kids(that's for sure). I'm not sure about Bishojo and Bishonen being categories though somebody might need to confirm that for me. They mean Pretty girls and Pretty boys (they could just be the character designs though.)

tsuki_desu
2003-11-17, 20:54
Anime and Manga
chobits
ultra maniac (the anime just ended and soon the manga is gonna end too *sniff*)
angelic layer
kodomo no omocha
inuyasha
tokyo mew mew
ccs
kamikaze kaitou jeanne
fullmoon wo sagashite

NenMaster
2003-11-18, 10:27
i dont watch many if any shoujo anime, is naruto kinda shoujo?

Kurara
2003-11-18, 23:21
I love them all... ^^; All of them except depressing, gothic ones.

Gaara11
2003-11-19, 11:57
i dont watch many if any shoujo anime, is naruto kinda shoujo?

Naruto is definitely Shonen or it won't be on Shonen Jump. :D

LuciaMelody
2003-11-19, 15:44
tsuki_desu Chobits can't be shoujo!!!! Just look at Chi's outfits and all of the posters with her. Plus the whole "girl robot for guys" thing makes it shonen right away. Why aren't there any guy robots? :eyebrow:

and someone mentioned before that Angelic Layer isnt' shoujo either.

Lambda
2003-11-19, 18:17

Well, there are things that are half way between, such as Gunbuster (parodies both shoujo and shounen sources simultaneously) (mostly by combining them) and Escaflowne (of which both shoujo and shounen manga forms exist), and then there are things that just blatantly aren't either, generally things that fall outside the norm, like the Wings of Honneamise, Angel's Egg, Lain and so forth.

I believe Bottle Fairy is aimed at a male audience, which would make it more shounen.

Oteck
2003-11-19, 19:15
Beware of shoujo fanservice! they have them too, mosly guys cross dressing
though. Some is men kissing each other like in Hanakimi :X
tsuki_desu Chobits can't be shoujo!!!! Just look at Chi's outfits and all of the posters with her. Plus the whole "girl robot for guys" thing makes it shonen right away. Why aren't there any guy robots? :eyebrow:

and someone mentioned before that Angelic Layer isnt' shoujo either.
I have to agree with that, theres no way those panty shots and that nato
scene is anything but directed to girls. Since it's clamp, Angelic layer is labled
shounen, some1 said it earlier that must be the reason why i didn't like either
one of them.

LuciaMelody
2003-11-20, 12:05
I believe Bottle Fairy is aimed at a male audience, which would make it more shounen.

:confused: well...now Im completely confused....but ....but they are soo cute!! What kind of guy would like things that are that cute?! (i only watched 1 episode though). Guys are into mecha and ecchi not cuteness - r they?...

Well, in this case there is not much of shoujo around is there? Most of the anime it seems is targeted towards male audience...

Since it's clamp, Angelic layer is labled
shounen,

Well, Clamp did MKRayearth...and Sakura is also CLAMP no?

i agree though - i really dont like chobits

Lambda
2003-11-20, 12:46
:confused: well...now Im completely confused....but ....but they are soo cute!! What kind of guy would like things that are that cute?! (i only watched 1 episode though). Guys are into mecha and ecchi not cuteness - r they?...

In the West, appreciation of cute is seen very much as a female thing. But cuteness is very important to Japanese culture, and there it is seen as something which appeals to absolutely anyone, regardless of gender.

The best way to guess whether something is shoujo in origin is to look at what it is fundamentally about. Shoujo is (always? certainly almost always) fundamentally about character, relationship and emotion. Shounen is usually fundamentally about something else, often this is some sort of fighting, but it doesn't have to be.

Another indication is to look at the roles of the different genders in the story. If a story is aimed at a certain gender, the people of that gender will usually be the more complex and interesting people, and the people of the other gender will tend towards being pretty. Often you will get a main character of the target gender, surrounded by many bishounen/bishoujo of the opposite gender.

There are a couple of good clues that Bottle Fairy is aimed at a male audience, firstly the (male) sensei-san is given the most respect, the fairies that surround him aren't exactly bishoujo, (pretty girls), but as extremely cute girls they're not far off, and secondly, the fairies' personalities are pretty simple and (besides cuteness) designed entirely for humourous effect. If it was shoujo you'd expect at least some character development.

Well, in this case there is not much of shoujo around is there? Most of the anime it seems is targeted towards male audience...

I believe that in Japan shoujo manga outweighs all other types put together, and this probably translates to anime. But a lot of shoujo anime isn't brought to the West, because Western anime fandom evolved out of sci-fi/fantasy fandom, which is very heavily male-dominated, therefore the majority of those titles that come to the West, either through the medium of fansubbing or by commercial companies, tend to be those aimed at a male audience.

Well, Clamp did MKRayearth...and Sakura is also CLAMP no?

i agree though - i really dont like chobits

Yes, CLAMP does both shoujo and shounen works. Though the fact that they're an all female studio often confuses people into thinking anything they must do must be shoujo, they do both.

Oneesama
2003-12-05, 21:58
sa~ here is my favorite shoujou list :D

anime
Ayashi no Ceres
Fruits basket
Fullmoon

manga
currently: HOT GIMMICK ( LOVE THIS ONE ) :love:
Skip-Beat ( funny as hel*)
Perfect girl revolution :love:

all time favo: kare kano ( daisuki~)
Hana Kimi ( this one too ^^ )
Crazy tokyo paradise ( ar~ love it)
Ayashi no Ceres

edit: fushigi yuugi was good too ^^

Alcy
2003-12-05, 23:57
though. Some is men kissing each other like in Hanakimi :X

Ahh, men in drag. *purrs* I'll have to see Hanakimi now. XD

As far as my favourite shoujo manga...^^

Definitely, my #1 would have to be Angelique by Kairi Yura.

Anime...Magic Knight Rayearth, probably. ^^

Kempis Curious
2003-12-07, 01:54
though.

Ahh, men in drag. *purrs* I'll have to see Hanakimi now. XD

:confused::confused::confused: I ran across this in ... uh... For You in Full Blossom... I think it was... :) A letter to the mangaka by a female fan said this was a very sexy thing to do. Is it possible to explain why this is so?

-k

curious

Tzurial
2003-12-07, 02:03
:confused::confused::confused: I ran across this in ... uh... For You in Full Blossom... I think it was... :) A letter to the mangaka by a female fan said this was a very sexy thing to do. Is it possible to explain why this is so?

-k

curious

mm..good question. I find guys in drag extremely sexy..eh heh. Not sure why though, I guess its just cuz I like to see guys sexually exploited sometimes

Go-lytely
2003-12-07, 02:36
Dont forget about Seinen anime which tends to aimed at an older male audience, usually 18-30 range. You can tell a seinen anime, usually but not always, by older characters and usually there are more mature themes throughout, sometimes romantic. It can range from stuff like Berserk, Kite, Cowboy Bebop to Boys Be and Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. Sometimes people consider hentai a subgenre to seinen anime.

boneyjellyfish
2003-12-07, 02:44
Cardcaptor Sakura and Revolutionary Girl Utena are my favorite shoujo anime series.

Alcy
2003-12-07, 03:25
I ran across this in ... uh... For You in Full Blossom... I think it was... A letter to the mangaka by a female fan said this was a very sexy thing to do. Is it possible to explain why this is so?

I don't really know...I'm pretty much drawn to flamboyant people/things, and I just find dragqueens...pretty? Adorable? Sorry I can't explain it any better, I just know I love them XD XD

Hen
2003-12-18, 04:27
aisuru hito :love:
never give up
akuma na eros
parfait tic
penguin brothers

I don't think I've already watched a shoujo anime ? (maybe Candy Candy, Lady Georgie or Creamy, when I was very much younger :p )

mitszuki
2004-03-09, 18:57
My favorite are:
( at least for the moment)
~Anime~

Ayashi No Ceres
Full Moon wo Sagashite
Magic Knight Rayearth

~Manga~

Ceres Celestial Legend
Planet Ladder
Magic Knight Rayearth
Chobits

haaha :)

babbito2k
2004-03-09, 22:25
...Angelic Layer was classified as a shounen anime (even CLAMP admits to this)...Ichigo 100%
Ichigo 100% is shounen. SaiKano is shounen.

Looks like some people don't look these up, just assume they know. Go-lytely and Lambda have paid attention, and people who read a lot of shoujo manga seem to know what's what. Female main characters has nothing to do with it, female mangaka either. Looking the other way 'round I guess Adachi is the only male writing shoujo manga anymore.

Most anime is adapted from manga. Manga are published in those big phonebooks. Find out what magazine the manga was published in and you know if it's shoujo or not. If it's based on a game it's shounen.

The one title which defies categorization IMO would be Mahou Tsukai Tai! which I love. The OAV was written straight to the small screen. Shounen and shoujo manga adaptations are available (I have the shounen adaptation; it's by a female mangaka, go figure).

I watch as shoujo anime as much as I can. I would say Oniisama E... is my favorite but that's really josei. Marmalade Boy is very good as anime and manga, Koko wa Greenwood and Kare Kano also. Vampire Princess Miyu OAV is a great anime. Hana Yori Dango is neat either way and certainly Utena.

I watch shoujo anime and read the manga (even shounen-ai or yaoi is OK with me) because the females in shounen anime are usually not as interesting. Even the traditional weak female leads (like in Watase Yuu's works) are better than in 95% of shounen works. Lambda's basic runthough of the two "genres" is solid.

Kurara
2004-03-09, 23:46
I wonder why people confound shoujo anime with bishoujo anime. o.o

But anyway. ^^;; I just have TOO MANY favorites.. To tell the truth, there's very few shoujo manga that I disliked. I guess that's because I'm girly. I've read and seen too many shoujo series to pick out some favorites. I guess I don't really want to pick anything out, because I know I'll forget some.

However, here's a list of shoujo manga/anime that I'm currently addicted to:

-GALS!: This is one of my favorite series of all time, to be honest. I love the characters, I love what happens in the series, I love everything. It's just a very cheerful and upbeat series, while not being cheesy at all.

-Mint na Bokura: I don't know why I like this series that much. I feel stupid saying this because I've only started reading it very recently. ^^;;; I hadn't read it before. I guess I'm really late. @_@ ... I love the characters. I think the concept of the series is fun. I just like it...

-Maria sama ga miteru: Well.. 'nuff said. The most popular shoujo series at the moment. However.. Even though I'm very fond of it and enjoy it a lot, I don't think it'll ever go in my favorite series list.

-Nana: This isn't a very recent series either.. But I've always been a huge fan of Ai Yazawa. I also started reading this series recently, and I have to say I really liked it.. The characters are very realistic. I never got bored reading it.

-Mermaid melody pichi pichi pitch: I love this series sooooo much. ^-^;; I've always loved mahou shoujo series.. And I really like this one a lot. It's still being fansubbed, so I'm always waiting for new episodes.

-Peach girl: Yeah, another popular series. It even came to Tokyo Pop. But I like it a lot.. I can relate to the main character very much. I love the art too.. I'm currently reading the manga since it's being translated. I hope to read more from that author.

-Urukyu: ... I really don't know why I like this series. ^^;;; It's not that recent, maybe from 3 years ago. I started reading this series recently. I enjoy reading it a lot. It's funny and the characters are attaching. The only problem is that.. The manga is very hard to read for some reason.. For that reason, I wouldn't say it's an awesome series.. The story could also be considered stupid by a lot of people.. But I still like it.

I love reading shoujo manga, but I can't seem to find new series to download online. Most of the shoujo scanlation group websites don't have full volumes to download so I don't really check them out anymore. [ I'm not complaining! ]

I sort of agree with you guys when it comes to a lot of Clamp series being shounen. I'm a huge fan of Chobits.. And I think it has a lot of character development. I wouldn't dare classify it as a bishoujo anime at all. Only two girls like the main character. .. The thing I noticed about chobits, is that even though they present it as a series about a "robot girl for one guy" like someone said, they criticize it a lot during the whole series. Chii really is the highlight of the series, and not the other guy. You can tell that they criticize certain things about a lot of bishoujo anime in the series.. This isn't why I like the series, though. ^^;; But I have to admit that it's a shounen series..

babbito2k
2004-03-10, 01:31
I wonder why people confound shoujo anime with bishoujo anime. o.o
Not everyone is a girl for one thing. I'm not. And people who don't read a lot of manga don't know where things are getting adapted from or where they are published. I used to get confused by some shows but that was ages ago. I got used to looking things up.
I sort of agree with you guys when it comes to a lot of Clamp series being shounen.I don't agree with that. It's only in the last couple of years that they have gone out of their way to do shounen. The shounen titles get adapted to anime much faster than the shoujo titles did (it took years for X to become a TV series), maybe that's why they are doing it.I'm a huge fan of Chobits... I am so not a fan of that show >_< I watched it but *shivers* A guy like Hideki... he could have at least tried to have a date or something with 3 actual human females in that series. There was no actual reason at the start of the story to consider Chii as anything more than like a broken toaster, I'm sorry... It ended nice but the story does not pan out. CLAMP should just go back to doing shoujo - at least in seinen romance the guy usually ends up with a girl. I don't have anything against people for liking Chobits but there is a different way to look at it.

Kyuven
2004-03-10, 01:38
Ichigo 100% is shounen. SaiKano is shounen.

unfortunately back when i wrote my original post, i hadn't read much of Ichigo 100% (if you think about the series, the main character is VERY transparent...oh well)
SaiKano i know is DEFINATELY far from shoujo:
1) the main character is a guy
2) he's surrounded by girls (3...or 4...total...yeah)
3) in a couple episodes, there are some sex scenes (which could be seen as inappropriate...at the time chiise is
mostly machine
breakdown of CLAMP series:
X: borderline Shounen/shoujo depending upon which media you address (i've heard the manga tends to be shoujo where the movie and anime tend to be more shounen...the movie sucked anyway ^_^)
Chobits: Shounen as shounen can be
Miyuki-Chan in Wonderland: i DARE ANYONE to read this and tell me it's not shounen
Magic Knight Rayearth: Shoujo
Angelic Layer: Shounen
CLAMP School saga (includes Duklyon, Detectives, and Man of Many Faces): Shoujo, 2/3 of these are bishounen!
Shirahime-syo: ummmmm...get back to me on this one...

Hisoka44
2004-03-10, 01:41
you have all missed the best one

Anme:
Gundam Wing
CCS

Manga:
CCS

Kurara
2004-03-10, 01:44
Not everyone is a girl for one thing. I'm not. And people who don't read a lot of manga don't know where things are getting adapted from or where they are published. I used to get confused by some shows but that was ages ago. I got used to looking things up.

Well, I do get confused too.. When I look at certain series. It's sometimes really hard to tell shoujo and shounen apart. You might think it's funny, but I used to think Get Backers was shoujo. @_@;; So I understand what you mean. I just think that when there's one boy with many girls around, it's obvious that it's not a shoujo anime. ^^;;; It's just me though. It might be because in America, when something is made for a certain gender, the main characters are of that gender usually..

I don't agree with that. It's only in the last couple of years that they have gone out of their way to do shounen. The shounen titles get adapted to anime much faster than the shoujo titles did (it took years for X to become a TV series), maybe that's why they are doing it.

Yeah, that's what I was saying. The first series they made, and a lot of their more unpopular series were very shoujo. I'm mainly talking about series like Chobits and Angelic Layer. Their newer series.

I am so not a fan of that show >_< I watched it but *shivers* A guy like Hideki... he could have at least tried to have a date or something with 3 actual human females in that series. There was no actual reason at the start of the story to consider Chii as anything more than like a broken toaster, I'm sorry... It ended nice but the story does not pan out. CLAMP should just go back to doing shoujo - at least in seinen romance the guy usually ends up with a girl. I don't have anything against people for liking Chobits but there is a different way to look at it.

I personally liked Chii.. But I can understand why you disliked the show. I wasn't a fan of Hideki either. ^^;; I didn't like how he was so undecisive. I didn't hate him or dislike him, though. He wasn't as bad as some bishoujo anime characters...

babbito2k
2004-03-10, 01:58
breakdown of CLAMP series:
X: borderline Shounen/shoujo depending upon which media you address (i've heard the manga tends to be shoujo where the movie and anime tend to be more shounen...the movie sucked anyway ^_^)
Chobits: Shounen as shounen can be
Miyuki-Chan in Wonderland: i DARE ANYONE to read this and tell me it's not shounen
Magic Knight Rayearth: Shoujo
Angelic Layer: Shounen
CLAMP School saga (includes Duklyon, Detectives, and Man of Many Faces): Shoujo, 2/3 of these are bishounen!
Shirahime-syo: ummmmm...get back to me on this one...
Just wanted to add Tokyo Babylon, Wish, RG Veda and Clover, some older shoujo manga series by CLAMP. X is shoujo. It extends TB which is shoujo, it was serialized in Asuka, the visual work is shoujo. I thought the X movie looked great but there was no time for the characters, so it was too weird. I liked TB OAV also.

Thyrz
2004-03-10, 05:33
What the hell does Shoujo mean? And shounen? :P

Kyuven
2004-03-10, 09:42
Just wanted to add Tokyo Babylon, Wish, RG Veda and Clover, some older shoujo manga series by CLAMP. X is shoujo. It extends TB which is shoujo, it was serialized in Asuka, the visual work is shoujo. I thought the X movie looked great but there was no time for the characters, so it was too weird. I liked TB OAV also.
the way the movie played out made it look more like a shounen than a shoujo to me (by definition, Kamui WAS surrounded by many women...)

Diedrupo
2004-03-10, 13:00
I find it easy to distinguish between shounen and shoujo. The easiest way to tell is what anthology the manga originated from (that also lets you know if it's neither shounen nor shoujo. Those aren't the only two metagenres out there!)

3) in a couple episodes, there are some sex scenes (which could be seen as inappropriate...at the time chiise is

There's usually more sex scenes in shoujo than shounen. o_O

Oh yeah, my favorite shoujo are Hana Yori Dango, Please Save My Earth, and I really want to see more of Oniisama e and Candy Candy

Marduk
2004-03-10, 13:04
Here are some of my favourite sh˘jo manga. :)

Angel Sanctuary: nice storyline, gorgeous gothic-style artwork. Definitely worth a try if you are into "darker" stories. :)
Rose of Versailles: So far the only "classic" sh˘jo manga I have read, but I like Ikeda-sensei's old-fashioned artwork and her melodramatic story-telling.
Seimaden: I love Higuri-sensei's artwork so much that I even bought her artbook, "Poison"...and I like her faible for tragic love-stories. ;)
Yami no Matsuei: again, the beautiful artwork caught my attention. Matsushita-sensei created characters for this series that you simply have to like, be it Tsuzuki or his nemesis, Dr. Muraki. And despite all the horror in this series, it always keeps its very special sense of humour. ^^

luniz
2004-03-10, 13:54
if chobits isn't shouju, i guess i would have to say battle athletes (victory i think) is the only one i enjoyed. i know you all think it's shounen and maybe so in japan but in the US that would not be considered acceptable for guys to watch. i can't really say that i liked revolutionary girl utenna...it had some potential but ended up incredibly boring.

maybe i should watch fruits basket or something.

babbito2k
2004-03-10, 17:56
...battle athletes (victory i think) is the only one i enjoyed. i know you all think it's shounen and maybe so in japan but in the US that would not be considered acceptable for guys to watch...
"In the US" my foot. It's not just that I disagree but I also feel strongly about the "value system" you seem to endorse. Who is telling you what you can and can't watch? What does it have to do with being a "guy?"

Noone says you have to like shoujo anime or manga but if you want to watch it please do so. And if you don't want to tell people around you what you like to watch that's OK, it's none of their business!

Lots of "guys" in the US watched Sailor Moon when they were younger and enjoy shoujo anime now. Some of them consider it a guilty pleasure, but they still feel they can watch and enjoy it.

A show like "Battle Athletes Victory" doesn't become a shoujo anime just because it gets licensed and shown in the US.

the way the ["X"] movie played out made it look more like a shounen than a shoujo to meGood point, the action was played out with little character development. That's what made the movie so weak.

Diedrupo
2004-03-10, 19:51
I don't know many girls who like Battle Athletes Victory. That alone should tell you that it's not shoujo.

I mean, usually, a girls' show would have some male romantic interests, right? Usually, that is (let's ignore rare series like Marimite). Battle Athletes falls into that grey area of stuff that originated as anime and had manga later. A lot of shows like that, I don't consider shounen or shoujo, since the shounen/shoujo distinction comes specifically from manga. A lot of Pioneer/Geneon works seem to fall into this category.

luniz
2004-03-11, 11:42
WTF are you talking about, I never said you or anybody couldn't watch it. Hell I even said I enjoyed it! Learn to read before you flame somebody.

I don't know what you call a lot....but I have NEVER heard of ANY male watching Sailor Moon. I'm sure being too old and stuff has something to do with it, and I am not trying to redefine any words or anything. But the shouju/shounen distinction imo doesn't translate into mainstream American culture imo.

Hisoka44
2004-03-11, 12:04
But the shouju/shounen distinction imo doesn't translate into mainstream American culture imo.

who cares about mainstream american culture? is anime mainstream american culture? do you think americans watching gundam wing are gay, you know that gundam wing is aimed towards girls ?

luniz
2004-03-11, 14:11
blech you guys are real nazis about this stuff. It's not even worth trying to discuss. And no I don't care about Gundam, as far as I can tell its crap through and through.

babbito2k
2004-03-11, 16:47
WTF are you talking about, I never said you or anybody couldn't watch it. Hell I even said I enjoyed it! Learn to read before you flame somebody.

I don't know what you call a lot....but I have NEVER heard of ANY male watching Sailor Moon. I'm sure being too old and stuff has something to do with it, and I am not trying to redefine any words or anything. But the shouju/shounen distinction imo doesn't translate into mainstream American culture imo.
I have no interest in flaming you, and I didn't. I don't see that anyone else flamed you either. I just don't find your assumptions or conclusions valid. I know males who have watched Sailor Moon and I don't think age has anything to do with it. For you to talk about what is not acceptable for males to watch and then say that the shoujo/shounen distinction doesn't apply to mainstream American culture is confused.
blech you guys are real nazis about this stuff.
Whipping out the nazi card is the end of the line - you can't seriously think that doing that is going to carry the day. You are just trying to be insulting.

luniz
2004-03-11, 18:09
You are just trying to be insulting.

And you are purposefully misinterpreting my post.

Diedrupo
2004-03-12, 12:02
you know that gundam wing is aimed towards girls

Er actually Gundam Wing is a boys' show that happens to have a loyal female otaku base. But generally speaking, the majority of casual fans of Gundam Wing are/were boys (who've probably outgrown the show)

And we aren't being nazi's about the definition of shounen/shoujo, but the concept DOES exist. GI Joe is shounen and Rainbow Brite is shoujo. That's an american example.

method
2004-03-12, 21:33
Wing is just like the earlier series in that it is shounen. Bandai added some elements to appeal to females in Japan, like the bishounen apperance and other things.

wao
2004-03-12, 22:12
I have hardly watched any series aimed at girls... :s

The KareKano manga was funny...
Princess Tutu is wonderful... (how could this not be aimed at girls :|)

I hated Fushigi Yuugi and Ayashi no Ceres, despite the pretty artwork I just hate the lead characters. Yeah.

I have never watched Fruits Basket or read it... I should get aroudn to doing that.

I'm not a fan of CLAMP's work, I read a bit of X and didn't like it (yeah prejudiced but whatever), I never liked much of their other work either. (shoujo or shounen or seinen or whatever)

I dunno if this counts but Maria-sama ga Miteru is very nice so far...

meh

LynnieS
2004-03-13, 02:57
And you are purposefully misinterpreting my post.
Let's all just go back to the subject at hand, guys.

I find myself watching "Kaleidostar" every Saturday morning now, and I'm pretty positive that it's not shounen. :D

Nyssane
2004-03-13, 16:02
My favorite shoujo manga would have to be Vampire Game. ^_^ I'm just -obsessed- with it. My favorite shoujo anime is Princess Nine, despite the fact that I still need the last DVD (and I haven't watched it for around a year). So yeah, some favorite shoujo anime, eh?

I also like Wei▀ Kreuz a lot, but it suffers the same fate as Princess Nine (I still need the last DVD from WK, hehe).

Slade xTekno
2004-03-14, 00:36
I liked the first Shojo I read [Ceres]. Then I started a few more and I saw a pattern bored me: seemingly normaly girls getting together with mystical guys...
I don't like Shojo anymore.

Question: Azumanga is Shojo?

babbito2k
2004-03-14, 02:17
I liked the first Shojo I read [Ceres]. Then I started a few more and I saw a pattern bored me: seemingly normaly girls getting together with mystical guys...
I don't like Shojo anymore.

Question: Azumanga is Shojo?
I wonder which shoujo titles you are referring to that fit the pattern you describe.

Azumanga Daioh is not shoujo.

I also see Princess Nine mentioned for the first time in this thread, which seems like a typical sports title to me, and Kaleido Star, which is kind of the same thing. Shoujo anime is hardly ever written direct to TV except for mahou shoujo.

Za Paper
2004-03-14, 03:31
I wonder which shoujo titles you are referring to that fit the pattern you describe.

Azumanga Daioh is not shoujo.

I also see Princess Nine mentioned for the first time in this thread, which seems like a typical sports title to me, and Kaleido Star, which is kind of the same thing. Shoujo anime is hardly ever written direct to TV except for mahou shoujo.

I read an interview with the Kaleido Star creator, he calls it is a different breed of shoujo anime. I could see Princess nine being shoujo as well. Both shows do follow a strong female protagonist in a coming of age story. Yawara! comes to mind as another sports anime that would fit into this category. I do agree that sometimes there is a pretty thin line when trying to fit a show into a certain genre.

babbito2k
2004-03-14, 08:32
I read an interview with the Kaleido Star creator, he calls it is a different breed of shoujo anime. I could see Princess nine being shoujo as well. Both shows do follow a strong female protagonist in a coming of age story. Yawara! comes to mind as another sports anime that would fit into this category. I do agree that sometimes there is a pretty thin line when trying to fit a show into a certain genre.
Yawara! was the show I first thought of when seeing these other titles. It was a strange but appealing combination of sports and romantic comedy/drama. That show was adapted from a Big Comic Spirits manga. It was big on action, milked a lot of comedy out of the romance, harped on the creepiness of the main antagonist/love rival and made a major character out of a very ordinary male sportswriter. The character designs were middle-of-the-road. Princess Nine and Kaleido Star seem fairly similar if not derivative. As you say, it is possible to view all three as being shoujo anime.

Princess Nine's director has experience with shoujo anime (Greenwood OAV, Fancy Lala). The staff is experienced with shounen anime like Giant Robo.

Kaleido Star's staff is fairly experienced with borderline anime. Junichi Sato (whom you paraphrased) directed Mahou Tsukai Tai! (a title I mentioned previously in this thread as being impossible to categorize). The story editor and character designer have worked on both shounen and shoujo titles.

Naruto's sister
2004-03-15, 12:59
Kare Kano
Yami No matsue
Gravitation
Forbidden Dance
Mars
X/1999

mayukhers112
2004-03-15, 20:56
I love Shoujo! Especially mahou shoujo.....here are some of my favorite titles:

Anime

Super Gals! Kotobuki Ran- really delightful and funny...

Ask Dr. Rin!- Very well-done in my opinion.

Wedding Peach- TOO CUTE!!

Candy Candy

Fancy Lala

Full Moon wo Sagashite

Chance Pop Session- this is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE.....but no one else seems to like it.... : (

:(

Manga

Planet Ladder

St. Tail

Rayearth

Kodocha

Alice 19th

Marmalade Boy

Zodiac PI

BTW, is Pita-Ten shounen or shoujo? I've seen a lot of places call it shoujo, but it ran in a shounen magazine....hmm....

Go-lytely
2004-03-15, 21:04
I love Shoujo! Especially mahou shoujo.....here are some of my favorite titles:

Anime

Super Gals! Kotobuki Ran- really delightful and funny...

Ask Dr. Rin!- Very well-done in my opinion.

Wedding Peach- TOO CUTE!!

Candy Candy

Fancy Lala

Full Moon wo Sagashite

Chance Pop Session- this is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE.....but no one else seems to like it.... : (

I like Chance pop at first but they needed more songs and I thought it was too predictable at the end.

babbito2k
2004-03-15, 21:13
BTW, is Pita-Ten shounen or shoujo? I've seen a lot of places call it shoujo, but it ran in a shounen magazine....hmm....Shounen, for the reason you mention. The anime doesn't do anything different except cut away a lot of the story.

Did you ever see Marmalade Boy anime? It's a bit long but very nicely done. It's finally licensed in the US.

I notice that Rayearth is not a favorite mahou shoujo anime of yours...

mayukhers112
2004-03-16, 10:21
Well, to tell you the truth, I haven't seen Rayearth, and I'm not really sure when or if I'll see it. :heh: But the for Marmalade Boy anime, I'm definetly buying the boxset as soon as it comes out.

deedlit
2004-03-16, 14:17
Shoujo Anime..
Princess tutu! (current fav)
CCS
kodocha

Shoujo Manga
Kanata Kara
in fact all series by Hikawa Kyoko (I love romantic weepies :P)
Most of series by Saitou Chiho
Mint na bokura (found it to be very cute too)
Hana Zakari no Kimi tachi e
Itazurana Kiss (so sad the mangaka had passed away)
venus wa kataomoi (current fav.)
Yamada Taro Monogatari (http://www.sakura-crisis.net/translations/yamada/manga.html)

xxziggybitsxx
2004-03-16, 14:20
Personally, i havent really read that many manga, but i just finshed reading one latly.... Ai Yori Aoshi ... Now that was really good.. It made me want to go out and buy it :)

Dagger
2004-03-16, 14:31
My favorite shoujo series are Gravitation (which I'm surprised that almost no one has mentioned yet) and Fruits Basket. Both are nearly perfect--Gravi's only flaw is its weak animation, and Fruits Basket's humor occasionally falls flat.

euronymous
2004-03-16, 20:28
luniz owned..

now pass me that bong

hmm, off topic i guess

qtipbrit
2008-03-10, 02:51
I'm really only asking a question:
What would you say are the most popular shoujo franchises: anime, manga, light novels, etc.
This is mainly to use as informal statistics, so I'd like not to invoke too much controversy.

From what little I can gather from the top of my head, I'd say that Fruits Basket, NANA, Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Maria-sama ga Miteru are up there, and I hear a lot about Vampire Knight, Ouran High School Host Club, Bokura ga Ita, Nodame Cantabile, Honey and Clover (if you can't count Josei among shoujo.)

So I'd like a bit of feedback and help from animesuki.
Thanks in advance and such.

cicido
2008-03-10, 03:01
According to the Guinesse's Book of World Records, the best-selling shojo around the world is Fruits Baskets

james0246
2008-03-10, 03:09
Princess Knight - (one of the first if not the first shoujo series done by the legendary Tezuka, so it should be on here of course :). '55)

Ace o Nerae! - (wonderful early sports/shoujo series (from around '72)

World Masterpiece Theater - (great collection od movies and series utilizing Western Literature. From around '74 to current)

Glass Mask - (great story of a girl who is trying to become the greatest actress ever (she even has a rival :)), second highest selling shoujo title ever. '76)

The Rose of Versailles - (one of the first internationally sold manga series. I remember learning Japanese using text books that utilized this manga :). '78)

Maison Ikkoku - (nice and sweet romance between a recently widowed boarding house owner and a young college student. '80)

Kodomo no Omocha - (hectic romantic comedy of a young actress that befriends and then falls in love with the class bad boy. '95)

Kare Kano - (romantic High School romance detailing the growing relationship between the top two students. A plethora of side stories are found in the manga. '95)

Full Moon o Sagashite - (Wonderful story of a dying girls dream to become a singer. '02)

Princess Tutu - (The story of a duck who becomes a girl who becomes a princess. One of the most literate shoujo stories made. '03)

---

It seems that this post was absorbed into a pre-existing thread, but I will still stand by my choices as being some of my favourites (at least the ones I can remember :)).

Chiibi
2008-03-10, 12:09
..........I missed this thread HOW!?:twitch:

My favorite shoujo of all time is Full Moon Wo Sagashite (both anime and manga) Truly a masterpiece. :love: I'm glad a lot of people have mentioned it here.:)

My favorite non-fantasy shoujo is Kodomo No Omocha. It's really awful that the anime went so downhill after the first half though. :(

Miko Miko
2008-03-10, 12:40
^ Full Moon Wo Sagashite, its so amazing!
I love it, Its an amazing Manga (i prefer the manga to the anime) and anime :heh:

KholdStare
2008-03-10, 14:41
Cardcaptor Sakura, it's number 1 (tied) or 2 on my top ten list. It's pretty much one of my favorite anime if not my favorite anime, because it's a great mix of different genres with amazing symbolism and character development.

Besides that I have a hard time really remembering other shoujo titles I have watched. If you can count Gravitation, then sure. I thought it was really good. I really enjoyed Bokura ga Ita as well.

GreatTeacherKen
2008-03-10, 16:23
As of now, Maria sama ga Miteru. I just really enjoy the character interaction in that show.

And Yumi's adorable. :)

almost forgot about X TV. It does take a long time to get going, but I feel the slow start is worth it. By the time the meat of the story begins, the characters have already been very well established and that makes everything that comes afterwards more intense and dramatic.