PDA

View Full Version : The first anime you ever saw

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

4n1m3
2003-11-06, 00:01
What kind of impression did it have on you?

It's kind of hard to remember... but I think it might have been either Transformers or Sailormoon. I didn't really watch transformers much, but I do remember Sailormoon. That show made a good impression on me becuase of Tuxedo Mask. Of course I was like 5 years old so I thought he was ULTRA cool. ^^

importkid
2003-11-06, 00:10
i think it was dragon ball z

monir
2003-11-06, 00:12
Ninja Scroll the movie..In the conclusion, when Jubei was sitting on the bank of a river bed and the fireflies were every where..That scene was burned into my memory and from then I strived for more and more and more to the point of becoming an anime junky...oh wait,,I am an anime junky..:D

::faze
2003-11-06, 00:19
Astro Boy if that counts, I was so young back then I didn't really distinguish cartoons and anime. It's possible I watched something before that, but I wouldn't remember. Otherwise, it'd probably be Akira. I have Akira on DVD, but when I watch it, I remember it looking so much better lol, I guess it's that way with all things.

duenna
2003-11-06, 01:15
heh i dont remember but the first anime i saw that i KNEW was anime was Sailor Moon when it came on tv loooong time ago XD

Lord Raiden
2003-11-06, 01:31
OH gads dude, it was so long ago I can't remember. My best guess as to what the first anime was that I saw, it's one of 3 possibilities.

Voltron, Thundercats, or Starblazers. Not sure which came first, but it's one of those 3. :)

EliteJounin
2003-11-06, 01:35
The first ones i saw was Ranma, Samurai Pizza Cats, and Dragonball... i think there is more though...

Mr. Bushido
2003-11-06, 01:38
i was born in a country thats as far to japan as LA is to San Fransisco. Korea, so anime was rather big and the air time of the krn dubbed was really less than a month after it aired in Japan, especially cuz japanese anime has TONS of Krn animators (so does disney actually).

the frst anime i watched couldve been when i was like 10 months old since i heard my uncle was kinda into it, and my aunt worked for Sony/sega forgot which. I remember watching Sonic in 1989/90. I watched Mario around that time. I used to read Dragonball when i was about 5 or so. (around 92, 93) but i dont know wat the FIRST anime was. The anime that really got me into anime again was One Piece. (yea i stopped for a while, but not completely) One Piece is great~

Akkarael
2003-11-06, 01:40
Key: the Metal Idol. They used to show episodes of it on my local PBS station back in 1998 and I'd watch it every once in a while. Half the time I couldn't figure out what was going on... I guess that was part of the attraction.

It wasn't until some 3 years later, though, that some college friends sat me down in front of Macross Plus (subbed!) and I was overwhelmed by the visuals, music, and drama of it all. I've been watching ever since!

werellar
2003-11-06, 01:46
now i feel kinda old, heh.

the first when i knew what anime was would be gunnm(Battle angel alita), but before that, when i thought they were just cartoons, it was Robotech. Then Macross, and then Voltron. Believe it or not, there was a silly Godzilla for a short time, which there were more comics sold through marvel than cartoon episodes.

In reality, anime/manga has been around since the 60's (i wasn't born then, i know what your thinking...)

FinFangFoom
2003-11-06, 01:49
Ninji the Wonder Boy!!! Saw it when I was like five and rented it all the time. At the time I didnt know what anime was but could tell that there was something special about the way it was done. To bad it has disappeared off the face of the earth as far as I know. :(

citizenP
2003-11-06, 03:21
My real first anime was this show where the kids went into bible stories via the bible or their flying house(anyone remember the name of this one). But I'd like to say Robotech! Go Robotech!

Wandering_Youth
2003-11-06, 03:32
I don't remember because I grew up watching anime, but I didn't know it was anime since I was so young. Oh My Goddess was the first anime I saw that started my anime addiction.

gravitation
2003-11-06, 04:04
ermmm i dont really remember...maybe Venus wars...im not sure lol soz^_^

Hoshisama
2003-11-06, 04:51
hm....... bring back old memories, i think the 1st and still the best anime i watch was Saint Seiya...... i guess i got too obsess w/it tat made my mom freak and threw away all my model.... sob~

duenna
2003-11-06, 05:26
ah does anyone remember zelda that used to show on tv?? i remember watching that... was that anime?? or was it usa made? i dunno ^_^;;

Tboz
2003-11-06, 06:05
Got to be Robotech, especially Macross and Mospedia... :love:

I couldn't get enuff of the missles and the Cyclone transformation bit. :D

Next will be Transformers... :D

Tomomi
2003-11-06, 06:13
Hmm, me think that mine was Sailormoon... And it was dubbed in chinese... :)

Mad Cat
2003-11-06, 07:12
Macross and Sailor Moon

Lambda
2003-11-06, 08:04
Probably Ulysees 31 or Battle of the Planets. First one I watched as anime would be the first Patlabor film, though I saw a part live-action film with large chunks of Angel's Egg in it before that.

stsaturn
2003-11-06, 09:13
Voltron then Armitage III and all the other animes the Sci-Fi channel had. The first one I owned was Ghost in the Shell for PC. I still have the Motion Pixles player for it on my PC.

[Titan]
2003-11-06, 09:22
first dubbed anime: Either "Boes" or "Alfred Jodocus Kwak"
first subbed anime: Rurouni Kenshin OVA 1 (about one year and a couple of days ago ^^)

lordlucless
2003-11-06, 09:46
Ehm, Astroboy or Voltron technically speaking, but the first one I watched knowing it was anime...Angelic Layer. Still got a soft spot for that one - and it's being released here in Australia next month!

straw
2003-11-06, 09:53
ähhhh, i think it was mila superstar and sailor moon, don't know which was first my first subbed anime was armitage III

monpuchi
2003-11-06, 14:05
i was born in a country thats as far to japan as LA is to San Fransisco. Korea, so anime was rather big and the air time of the krn dubbed was really less than a month after it aired in Japan, especially cuz japanese anime has TONS of Krn animators (so does disney actually).

thats interesting, i thought there was still some bad blood (in the form of no imports from japan) between those two countries until fairly recently. maybe it was longer ago than i thought...

Ranko
2003-11-06, 14:17
Eva is what awakened, me to what anime truly is.
My friend brought over the rental tapes one winter break and we watched it all in a week, that's what made me who i am today.

GHDpro
2003-11-06, 15:51
I can't really recall my first dubbed anime -- probably Macron One
(a hack job similar to Robotech) or Transformers.

My first subbed anime was Akira -- which I watched in the early 90'ies
on the BBC very late at night (and a bit censored as you'd expect).

I didn't watch any more subbed anime until I got broadband a few
years back and watched "Legend of the 4 Dragon Kings" as
streaming video from the now-dead broadband.com (iirc).

My first anime purchase was Ghost in the Shell (subbed) and
NGE volume 1 (dubbed) on VHS. Not suprisingly it was also
instantly my last VHS purchase -- god, the quality was awful.

So... after that my first DVD purchase was Macross Plus (vol 1)
and I've been collecting anime on DVD since then (got 150+ now).

My first fansub download was Love Hina...

It think that covers it all (unless we expand into manga as well :heh: )

Photonman
2003-11-06, 16:23
When I young(about ages 6-9) my parents had tapes of shin-chan(sp? that little kid that just goes around and does stuff, still going on now I think?). I couldn't understand anything, biut I just watched it. But the first series I actualy got really into was DBZ.

Breogan
2003-11-06, 16:25
First I watched was Ulysses 31 (French-Japanese production) in my aunt's black and white TV, but I was really little and I had no clue what anime was back then.
I remained ignorant for a while, since all the japanese character names in the TV series were replaced for more westernized ones (Madoka from KOR was renamed Sabrina, and Tsubasa changed to Oliver, as an example).

My first real contact with anime fully knowing it was Japanese animation was Akira.

TaMz
2003-11-06, 16:28
first ones I saw were Silver Fang, Starzingers and Galaxy Express 999, but I didn't know they were Anime...
first Anime that I saw knowing it's Anime was Ghost In the Shell Movie...

Moon The Cat
2003-11-06, 16:42
It would be Draon Ball, and the first fansub I saw was Cowboy Bebop....It is good to remember.

Kempis Curious
2003-11-06, 17:08
Key: the Metal Idol. They used to show episodes of it on my local PBS station back in 1998 and I'd watch it every once in a while. Half the time I couldn't figure out what was going on... I guess that was part of the attraction.

Holy Moses! Key was on PBS? That's one of the darkest animes out there! I'm impressed!

-k

Kempis Curious
2003-11-06, 17:12
']first dubbed anime: Either "Boes" or "Alfred Jodocus Kwak"

What? :confused:

Where did you see those? And why would you remember them?

-k

Lord Raiden
2003-11-06, 17:55
the frst anime i watched couldve been when i was like 10 months old since i heard my uncle was kinda into it, and my aunt worked for Sony/sega forgot which. I remember watching Sonic in 1989/90. I watched Mario around that time. I used to read Dragonball when i was about 5 or so. (around 92, 93) but i dont know wat the FIRST anime was. The anime that really got me into anime again was One Piece. (yea i stopped for a while, but not completely) One Piece is great~
OH hell yeah! Sonic was the sh** back then!! I still love it! :D

JubileX
2003-11-06, 18:42
As I read the other posts I began to feel my age...

I clearly remember Goldorak.... and Candi (althought I never would've admitted it back then... it was GIRLIE stuff) .. then the whole bunch that came out, Thundercats, Dragon Warrior, Ulysse 31, Albator ... so many more...

Hmmm.. come to think of it, I never saw the end to Dragon Warrior... hmm.. worth a thread ?

...Offline.

Koshiba
2003-11-06, 18:46
It was probably Sailor Moon for me. I really liked it and became obsessed. ^^; I probably didn't know exactly what it was at the time though. But later on in life I got the internet and was able to find out more. :D I was obsessed though.. I had a sailor moon lunch box too ! ^^;

Sakura-chan
2003-11-06, 19:01
Sailor moon in russian (I think the opening was in German :heh: ), when I was 5. :heh:

Ether
2003-11-06, 19:38
I believe I was around 6 or 7 at the time. I wanna say it was Nausicaa but to be truly honest I can't really remember the title for the life of me. I found it at my local video store and rented it thinking it was a cartoon. I was surprised as all hell as to how good that anime was and I rented it a total of like 6 times. It left such an impression on me that I've been hooked on anime ever since.

After that I used to get my fix on the SciFi channel's 'Saturday Anime' block, which aired a lot of good movies. (Venus Wars, Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Robot Carnival, 8 Man After, Demon City Shinjuko etc. etc.)

Vicious
2003-11-06, 20:17
Dragon Ball (the original), Dragon Quest an the very first I think it was Doraemon, at the early 90's.

Danny Boy
2003-11-06, 20:21
My real first anime was this show where the kids went into bible stories via the bible or their flying house(anyone remember the name of this one). But I'd like to say Robotech! Go Robotech!Ah, childhood memories. There are two bible-based cartoons being shown back-to-back in my childhood days. The first one is Superbook, about two kids (and a wind-up robot) who opens a book and are then teleported to the Old Testament world. I still remember a few episodes, especially the one with Samson, that gave me childhood nightmares. The other one is Flying House, about, well, a flying house, two kids who travel in it, and operated by a kind hearted "mad scientist" and they travel throughout the New Testament World. It's rather boring.

I don't know if those are my first anime though. Other likely candidates are Voltes V, Astroboy, Mazinger Z, Voltron etc. First Japanese language anime I've seen is Dragonball, back in 1991 (it wasn't subbed, though). First subbed anime I've seen is F^3 I think, or perhaps Oh my Goddess.

uglypigs
2003-11-06, 20:24
that horrid cover to the american release of naasica of the valley of the wind comes to mind. eck, i think it was called warriors of the wind, or some other bs.

i remember ranma 1/2 also too.

Danny Boy
2003-11-06, 20:26
I believe I was around 6 or 7 at the time. I wanna say it was Nausicaa but to be truly honest I can't really remember the title for the life of me.Warriors of the Wind (a bastardized version of Nausicaa) perhaps, or Windaria?

Ether
2003-11-06, 20:54
Originally Posted by Danny Boy
Warriors of the Wind (a bastardized version of Nausicaa) perhaps, or Windaria?
Ahhh, yup Warriors of the Wind definetly rings a bell.

I never knew that there was more than one release of Nausicaa. Damn....that means i've only seen the shitty version :heh: Gotta go out and get the other version now :p

:topicoff: What's the difference between that and the true Nausicaa? Since I've only seen Warriors of the Wind.

Kempis Curious
2003-11-06, 21:40
I watched Battle of the Planets when I was 7 or 8 (AKA G-Force, originally called Gatchaman).

I always loved serious cartoons (LotR, Robotech, Starblazers), but it took me another 12 years make the connection that nearly all of the serious cartoons that I had seen were Japanese. (I'm not as smart as I think I am.)

And then I borrowed a SLP vhs of 13 episodes of the original Ranma Project release of subbed Ranma 1/2. Sweet Jesus in a lobster bib! I had to watch the whole thing straight through, even though I was at work!!! (Good thing I was by nyself that day.) That first season is a masterpiece.

I've since put my TV away, and watch anime instead. There isn't enough free time for both. (Who needs to see "Survivor" or MTV when there's a new ep of Naruto, Sexy Commando, Scrapped Princess , Onegai Twins, etc on my HD?)

-k

Esperchld
2003-11-06, 21:49
Most likely one of the following: Macross, Astroboy, Starblazers, maybe something else that was around when I was 5 or 6. I also started watching subtitles back then as well, but I couldn't understand everything.

SurfD
2003-11-07, 01:16
Sheesh, you people are making me feel old. In retrospect (now knowing what i did not know back then) my first anime would have been either (these are probably from when I was 5 or 6 or so):

AstroBoy
Battle for the Planets (also known as G-Force as someone mentioned, the OLD SCHOOL animation)
Something my brain tells me was Robotech (I distinctly remember seeing Cyclones, but the memory is soo old it could be questionable)
Voltron (i remember at least 3 different voltron shows, the Cats, The Large Vehicles, and The many small vehicles that joined to form bigger vehicles, that then joined to form voltron)

As to when I actually KNEW it was Anime, that would have been DiC's horrible butchered Smoon (my first addiction), then the first season of Dragon Ball (not Z), and then the movies they had on Space Channel (Night on the Galactic Railroad really messes with your head), followed by nearly everything I could get my hands on in a never ending quest to slake my lust for more Anime Goodness.

AnimeGamer183
2003-11-07, 02:22
Ah, childhood memories. There are two bible-based cartoons being shown back-to-back in my childhood days. The first one is Superbook, about two kids (and a wind-up robot) who opens a book and are then teleported to the Old Testament world. I still remember a few episodes, especially the one with Samson, that gave me childhood nightmares. The other one is Flying House, about, well, a flying house, two kids who travel in it, and operated by a kind hearted "mad scientist" and they travel throughout the New Testament World. It's rather boring.

I don't know if those are my first anime though. Other likely candidates are Voltes V, Astroboy, Mazinger Z, Voltron etc. First Japanese language anime I've seen is Dragonball, back in 1991 (it wasn't subbed, though). First subbed anime I've seen is F^3 I think, or perhaps Oh my Goddess.

yeah superbook was my first anime I still have videos in my collection somewhere... that was a LONG ass time ago I think my second anime was Geki Gangar

hunterx
2003-11-07, 04:26
hrm sailor moon. They used to show it on tv, cartoon network or something. never paid much interest to it. Then some others can't remeber, then back when I used to watch formula 1 I would wake up early to catch the races. YTV would show dragonballz at 6:30 am and that's when I got hooked. Ninja scroll, patlabor and dominion tank police movies helped too

Master Ran
2003-11-07, 05:11
Superbook !
Yeah, i love that show.
And i'm not even a Born Again. But i did loved it.

btw, watched out for my friends Voltes V release hopefully this month....hopefully....
Not sure if its already licensed... :hmm:

Master Ran
http://www.pinoittoanime.com/salbabida.gif

devlin
2003-11-07, 06:25
Starzinger / Rai the caveboy ? / Voltron etc was the first ones i watched around 20 yeras ago.

Sabin
2003-11-07, 08:48
The first anime i ever watched was probably astro boy when i was a kid. Also the transformers and voltron. The first time i watched anime knowing that it was anime was in 1992 i was at my friends house who had only moved from taiwan a year before and he put on some DBZ and then some Gundam (both in japanese with chinese subs) and although i didn't understand a word of it i was hooked from that day forward.

Hunter
2003-11-07, 09:16
Hmm it was probably Ulysses 31 or UFO Robot Grendizer/Goldorak in 1981 or 82 I think.

BME
2003-11-07, 11:38
Ghost In The Shell, late on night in the mid 90s on TV1000. I was only 11 so this was something totally new, it took animated violence to a new level for me :P
It was so cool that it showed "real life" People actually died, there was nudity and such. Truly unlike anything I´ve ever seen before. After that there was Sailor Moon, Digi/pokemon on TV in Swedish but the next "real" anime I watched and the first one i watched in Japanese was chobits in Febuary 2002.

tsuko
2003-11-08, 03:02
hmm...i really don't remeber, but i think it might be doraemon or maybe some really old anime that i don't know the english name.

NenMaster
2003-11-08, 07:39
1st was probally fist of the north star, then about 5 years later, pokemon, but that was when it 1st came over here and not cheap. 1998/1999 i think.
then about a year ago started watching series, the 1st 1 was crest of the stars

Zechs Merquise
2003-11-08, 07:50
Hehe, Robotech, Transformers, Vultron, Zoids and Mobile Suits. Thats what filled the airwaves in the 80's europe. Well, it was a good start....

Tritium
2003-11-08, 08:57
what was on tv back then eeeh.. Dragonball, Transformers, sailormoon

Flash_Squirrel
2003-11-08, 09:06
Some Giant Robot anime around 13 years ago. Dont ask me the name though, since I forgot it completly.

Gattz
2003-11-08, 13:09
When I was eight years old I saw Akira, that was the first anime that I've ever seen.

Archuka
2003-11-08, 15:40
The first anime I saw was Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin. I owned all four parts on VHS, but I was too young to understand it was anime. I instantly fell in love with the show and later on my little sister also watched it and she too liked it very much.

Later on Pokemon, which I think is the first anime show aired in Finland. Then I stumbled across scanned and translated Love Hina manga and I liked it. I then watched the entire LH series and I've been in to anime ever since.

PiGGiEE
2003-11-08, 16:07
Hmmm first one I ever watched was Dragon Ball... :D

Animaniac
2003-11-08, 16:19
Sailor Moooon!

diabolistic
2003-11-08, 17:28
Aoki Densetsu Shoot..

-*Mitsuki*-
2003-11-08, 18:37
i can't really remember but ... the first one i watched by d/ling from bt was:

fullmoon o sagashite!

ElvenPath
2003-11-08, 18:55
DBZ on TV :o

FinFangFoom
2003-11-08, 20:54
:topicoff: What's the difference between that and the true Nausicaa? Since I've only seen Warriors of the Wind.

The difference is that in Warriors of the Wind they cut somewhere between 20-40 minutes of footage including important plot points, from what I understand the edited version almost becomes a different story. I've heard more than once from people who have seen both that it is one of the worse cases of editing ever, and if you havnt seen it uncut then you really havnt seen it.

Dafty
2003-11-09, 19:22
cyborg 009 bought in my older brothers schoolbazaar when i was like 6 or 7. dubbed in swedish, i kinda hated it at first... now i treasure them like nothing else...

Paiser
2003-11-09, 19:47
GUNDAM WING! BEST OF THE BEST at 1997!!! :D is it 1997??? is it even best at all??? :p
First downloaded anime was hm... Love Hina... - that was GOOD ANIME! now i see it love hina subs are SMALL!

Wolfwood2970
2003-11-09, 20:18
a long long time ago when Dragon Ball episodes and Ronin Warriors episodes were on Kids WB at like 6 o clock in the morning i watched anime

Well a long time ago it was either Dragon Ball I watched (got introduced by my uncle which lives in Asia saying it was very popular) or it was Ronin Warriors which i also watched at that time

but truthfully the anime that got me interested in more anime has to be Trigun..... a while back i was at camp and some kid had a bunch of Dragon Ball manga so i was bored read them and everywhere i see Trigun Ads

So basically i just buy the first video of Trigun and was absolutely hooked

After watching Trigun i searched up on watching more anime and Trigun is probably the only reason why im DLing anime from animesuki in the first place

Oninusar
2003-11-09, 22:50
It was Urotsukidoji (Legend of the Overfiend)

lol, it was the absolutly most insane movie i ever saw, i was about 2 demon worlds fighitng over the earth world, and there was a chossen one that was going to save all of earth, but... oh bah it was a hardcore tentecle sex porno with bad ass ninja fights and tons and tons of crazy nudity...

from that movie my love of anime "GREW" heh, err... well in any effect with out that id never have even gotten into Japanimation, so i thank the freaky tentecle sex people, and all the lovingly drawn boobies..

WOOT for HENTAI!

yeah yeah so im creepy but i think it was acctually a good story... check it out ^^

norphos
2003-11-09, 23:46
For jap anime, I think Doraemon and Around The World In 80 Days were among the 1st I watched on tv. There might be other animes that i have watched b4 those but I can't remember.

The 1st animes that I bought to watch were Detective Conan and Hanayori Dango.

The 1st fansubbed anime i downloaded was Love Hina.

Binx
2003-11-10, 19:50
the fist i saw was drangon ball z

Antonik
2003-11-10, 21:10
First anime was probobly some crappy anime on low budget, but the one i actually remmber is Captain Tsubasa

But the first anime in english was DragonBalls

user6177
2003-11-11, 06:45
']first dubbed anime: Either "Boes" or "Alfred Jodocus Kwak"

Those two and "Natalie" (a little girl on a farm) and "Alleen Op De Wereld".

The first one where I knew it was anime is "Bio Booster Armor Guyver" (12 separate videotapes dubbed... :fingers: Manga Video NL).

1st subbed: "Ghost In The Shell".

Uzumaki626
2003-11-11, 20:01
DBZ on cartoon network, thats what got me into anime.

LIQUIDCELL
2003-11-11, 20:11
It was Escaflowne on YTV. It was only because Van's voice --which was done by Kirby Morrow, caught my attention. Since then I got more interested in anime---I called it cartoon back then.

Silly me! Heh

GreyArea
2003-11-11, 20:59
I cant remember what I used to watch on TV when I was a nipper (there were definately some anime shows slyly put on kids TV, cant remember them tho). The first thing I remember buying was Venus Wars, released by Manga Video (in the UK, dubbed *shudders*), which kinda got me hooked. The first subbed thing I watched was Akira (again, VHS release by MV). Much preffered subtitled stuff but only the odd release was available subbed at the time (bastard Manga Video :/ ).

Yellat
2003-11-12, 22:37
first show i watched was called MAPs. never got to finish it. if anyone knows where i could find it, please tell.

Nazgul8
2003-11-12, 23:53
This will show my age.

The first anime I remember watching are Starblazers & Speed Racer.
Of course at the time I didn't know they were something called anime tho.

Tchort
2003-11-13, 08:07
What kind of impression did it have on you?

It's kind of hard to remember... but I think it might have been either Transformers or Sailormoon. I didn't really watch transformers much, but I do remember Sailormoon. That show made a good impression on me becuase of Tuxedo Mask. Of course I was like 5 years old so I thought he was ULTRA cool. ^^

Hellsing

I blame it all on that show now it feels like I am obsessed by anime..

Rurouni Kenshin kept me up after that, it really took me a long time to get all eps

Forse
2003-11-13, 08:13
My first anime was Sikano (that I remember of) and it's still my favorite :bow:

/me wait to get some cash and get it on DVD

Death^Striker
2003-11-13, 10:36
hmm... i dont remember exactly since i dont live in the US most of the anime are dubbed and their names change when they release them in my country.well ill describe some of what i have seen maybe some of you will know thier names.
some ninja guy callled kagimaru iganu that moves from living on the mountain to the city.and there is this other ninja series about this little ninja boy who do alot of transformations with his fat friend and there is this space anime i dont know its name but one of the members of the crew is a frog and in some episode they meet this green-ball creatre who plays a guitar-like instrument.But these didnt get me hocked to anime . well my real first start with anime was with Akira and tank police :D that i got entersted in anime :D

RavenChild
2003-11-13, 11:16
My first was Cowboy Bebop subbed. friend got me into cowboy bebop then i found fansubs. no dubs for me :). that was when i was 12, i'm 15 now. seen at least 3 episodes a week for 3 1/2 years.

LuciaMelody
2003-11-13, 15:04
Sailor Moon! Thats what got me into anime too. :love:

dark_breaka
2003-11-13, 16:27
First anime ever watched would probably have to be Astroy Boy

Dryad
2003-11-14, 14:49
I've started with Ninja Scroll. I guess seeing that cant don anything else than give you interest in animes.

AnimeFan
2003-11-14, 20:56
A friend got me into anime by showing my Akira about six years ago and I guess it's been down hill since. I feel like I have seen several hunderd titles since then.

shigeki
2003-11-15, 07:51
First in Tv was ... i think mila superstar or sailor moon

MAT86
2003-11-15, 16:47
does transformers count as anime?
there is one i remember but i was very young and dont remember the name

there were three robots red,blue and green and they joined together to make a big robot.

if the red robot was on top it would make a land based big robot
if the blue robot was on top it would make a sky based big robot
if the green robot was on top it would make an underwater big robot.

they were based in a mountain with a red dome on top that could open out like a flower.

the bad guys were these evil guys with horns on their head and they cept coming up with big monster/robots to fight againt the good guys.

does anyone have any any idea what im talking about or was that all just one crazy dream?

Gaara11
2003-11-15, 22:19
Astroboy was my first anime.

solidsonya
2003-11-16, 22:34
i think Sailor Moon was the first anime i ever watched,
it was a long time ago but i still remember it

CardCaptorMoody
2003-11-16, 23:42
I don't remember the name of it, but all i can remember about it is that it was about soccer. Though that was when i was a fetus (exadurating, when i was actualy 3 or so). However, the anime that got me hooked was actualy Love Hina.

outlaw55
2003-11-19, 20:23
Tricky question, they used to not SAY shows were made in japan when I was little, first anime I saw that I KNEW was anime tho, is Dragonball Z.

Tenkoy
2003-11-19, 20:26
The first anime that I ever watched was Tank Police Dominion. Can't say it was the greatest, but it was interesting at the least. Certainly not something I'd watch more than once.

Keitaro
2003-11-20, 01:02
first anime i watched was Macross and Robotech, I remember how cool they were when I was a kid.

angelic_aquarian
2003-11-20, 02:34
I was addicted to Voltron, Thundercats, and Transformers as a child. I only knew them as cartoons though. I did not grasp the concept of anime until later with Vampire Hunter D and then followed by Akira. What started as a fascination soon escalated into a full fledged obsession (and all subbed all the time!)

Seiryuu
2003-12-07, 01:11
Depends whether you're talking over our lifetimes or since we learned what anime is. Judging from animesuki.com's list of what qualifies as anime, I'd have to say I started at around 4 yrs old with shows like Maya the Bee(yes, there was an anime called that), and Grimm Fairy Tales. I'm actually looking around for a copy of that Grimm one, it did well remaking the stories, and there was one I can't find anywhere that I remember so vividly... Anyway, after that I went to Cities of Gold, Voltron, and Ronin Warriors. Back then my parents didn't even know it was anime I was watching, so I had a dose of RW with breakfast every morning. What actually brought me into anime, I'm ashamed to say, was Pokemon. From pkmn I went to DBZ and whatever was on Cartoon Network(The show that actually hooked me for all time was Tenchi Muyo!), and then just grabbed whatever had a good cover in the small anime section of Blockbuster. The rest is history. I now have at least 50 series on DVD or CD, depending on licensing. But I still faintly remember Maya and some weird show about koalas from another universe that was going to collide with ours. I think it's called Noozles in america.

GTOnizuka
2003-12-07, 03:01
I think it was Sailormoon. Wew, I liked that show.

aran
2003-12-07, 07:45
Gatchaman! (Was heavily editted, censored, badly dubbed, and re-named Battle of the Planets/G-Force but I liked it anyway.)
Keyop sucks (Sandy Frank's fault, as I found out later), Jason rules.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/tv/battle/gallery/images/340/phoenix1.jpg

JohnArk
2003-12-07, 08:29
Transor-Z maybe when I was really young? What really got me into the anime art style was Robotech and Voltron by the time I was 6-8 if I remember. Then of course what truly transformed me into an Otaku was Sailor Moon by the time I was 17.

Now I'm 23 and I'm watching Sailor Moon Live Action. God bless animes!

Lancer McCloud
2003-12-07, 10:51
Just like manny others here my first anime must of been sailor moon. Beacause i saw it sooo long ago i fought it was realy cool. Then the years (yes years) went by and i must of forgott about it because then i saw this new program on TV and it stunned me that i somwhere got the impresion that i had seen i before and maybe thats why i keept wathing. It must of been Dominion Tank Police that actualy gott me into anime (So darn funny).

Muraki
2003-12-07, 11:03
I'm happy to say...

it wasn't DBZ!!! :D

It was really...Slayers NEXT (subbed) me thinks (I'm only 13...)

Hehe and its still sorta funny when I rewatch it ^_^ though it is no longer one of my favorites..

wao
2003-12-07, 11:09
Akazukin Cha Cha on Cartoon Network... actually I grew to hate it later as I thought the voices totally did not fit, and "Hooollyyyyy up!" pissed me off like hell... and I got sick of it sometimes BUT, I *LOVED* the ED/OP sequences. Don't ask me why, I just loved them.

After that it was Kenshin. Kenshin drew me into anime and will always have a special place in my heart. <3

narako
2003-12-07, 15:02
I watched my first anime.. when I was 5
Randomly woke up at 1 AM turned on the TV and watched either Gundam or Macross(I'm sure I watched Macross just not sure if I watched Gundam first).
After that I left HK so I could only watch stuff like orginal Dragon Ball but I started going into fansubs when Gundam SEED was out.

Kai_Hanmyo
2003-12-07, 19:21
the first anime i ever watched was either sailormoon, or flint the time detective!!! :P

or waz it that anime film 'shadow skill'

ahwell!!!

SnakeBite
2003-12-07, 19:38
First anime I ever watched was Rounin Warriors :) haha

Orchunter226
2003-12-07, 20:44
Mine was Gall Force: Eternal Story on saturday anime on sci-fi. After that i thought anime was awesome and started watching all the movies. Then my friends got into DBZ and Pok-e-mon but i never really did.

Tamahome
2003-12-07, 22:46
The first anime I watched was Doraemon when I had about 8-9 years old, but i didn't even know that was japanese . After that i began to watch anime with Sailor Moon.

p3psi
2003-12-07, 23:06
I think the first anime i ever watched was transformers.
was transforers an anime?

Zacron-X
2003-12-07, 23:30
eeto...the first anime I ever watched was probably Mega Man at 5:30, maybe 6 AM on UPN when I was 6. I think Dragonball came on after it, but they both confused me to no end anyway. I distinctly recall Mega Man being stuck in a glacier of some sort. But, that was way back when and I phased out of it by 8, until my friend got me back into it with DBZ *shudder* at the tender age of 10. Looking back, all that sensored violence never really was that impressive or entertaining. *hugs 61 eps of Naruto stored on D drive*

corp20
2003-12-07, 23:39
My first was Transformers. I wish I could watch it all....... Then it was Dragonball or Sailormoon. I can't quite remember.

whyjnot420
2003-12-08, 00:52
First anime i ever watched...... hmmm....

its kinda a tossup between the first anime i watched and the first thing i knew was anime

i watched Transformers, Voltron, Thundercats, but at that time i didnt know it was all japanese i just thought it was real cool
also in this catagory (kinda) i remember "Warriors of the Wind" which if u dont recall was the bastardization of Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind (arguably the best anime movie and manga of all time) bad dubbing changed elements, nuff said

but the first thing that i actually knew was anime was a movie called "Robot Carnival"
a bunch of shorts centered arond robots pretty cool for a 12-13 year old (i be 23 now) actually remember staying up till 3am and it was on TBS TNT (one of them) and it was awesome

the anime that really got me into anime though was Iria : Zeiram the Animation, awesome, simply awesome

Zelgadis
2003-12-08, 03:04
The first anime I saw that was Tenchi Muyo. Subtitled of course. This was the first thing I knew as anime. Funny thing was I found anime by accident. I walked into the wrong room for a final exam a half hour early. Anime was playing and I watched for a while. After taking the exam, I visited and found out more about anime then I ever wanted. But, by that time I was hooked.

I watched Voltron, Transformers, Speed Racer, etc. as a kid. Never knew they were anime until that day. I would have never known that such a thing existed.

It's all good. Anime is now a part of me. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

complich8
2003-12-08, 03:35
I won't quite remember for sure ....

but I think it was either Iria: Zeriam the Animation or Green Legend Ran, on the SciFi channel. That was like the first year that the SciFi channel was around. Back before they started playing nothing but Crossing Over and Unsolved Mysteries for a couple years and I gave up on them. Those were good days though, when they showed anime on scifi. That must have been like 1996 or so...

Elin
2003-12-08, 07:07
All of the old ones as a kid I guess, Speed Racer, Thundercats, Transformers and the like...

But when I knew it was anime? I s'pose a badly dubbed version of Akira at a friend's house maybe 5 years back...

akusia
2003-12-08, 10:18
NGE but in Poland for
most of anime fans
decisive anime was Sailor Moon :)
Like everywhere...

Seiryuu
2003-12-08, 21:08
As I think more carefully, it was either "Brinky and Prinky"(I was 4, what do you expect?) and "Manx Mouse". both, I think, on recollection(and I'm very good at remembering things, I could even recite an oral report from the 6th grade, though I'm now in College) both shows were good examples of how the Japanese even tried to make their kiddy shows interesting, even deep. Manx Mouse, if you've never heard of it, was about a small mouse with huge ears and no tail, last of his kind. The rest had been killed in a battle with manx cats long ago, and, by destiny, he must also allow himself to be eaten by one of that race, but he befriends the cat and refuses to bow to "fate". It was the first show I ever saw that suggested that destiny could be fought and even overcome.
Brinky and Pinky was actually good for child shows. A girl's father was lost at sea, and all she has left from him is a present he sent her, a stuffed koala that came to life when she rubbed noses with it. It turns out that the koala is Blinky, a being from a parallel universe inhabited by intelligent koalas, kangaroos, and frilled lizards(it was a kids' show, after all). But the reason he was here was something you wouldn't expect of a kids' show. The universes were colliding, and when they finally hit, the reaction would turn all matter in both worlds into pure energy and completely annihilate the twin universes. Somehow, Blinky and his sister, Pinky, had to find a way to reverse this and stop the collision. Like I said, both were shows meant for 4-yr-olds like I was at the time, but it was DEFINITELY a level beyond Sesame Street. Actually, even as a kid, I didn't like shows with shallow or no plot like Sesame Street, or Friends. As a child, I dumped the silly stuff and watched David the Gnome instead. But then, at 4, I was also reading my own bedtime stories. seriously.

Kawaii_Sennin
2003-12-09, 00:23
My first anime that I ever watched was Sailor Moon!!! They were so cool that I even cosplayed as Sailor Venus on my 8th birthday:p.

*aznplayboi*
2003-12-09, 02:20
I used to love speed racer, that was my first. now its...wieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd!

e2-
2003-12-09, 14:24
Starzinger. And I loved it me and my friend allways played starzinger i wos always Don Hakka he wos so cool 1!!! i had all of them on vhs at home. and this must be 13 years ago. :)

Hannah's_Knight
2003-12-09, 19:42
The first Anime I ever watched...geez that must have been a long time ago...I guess the first unnofficial one was when I watched a Hentai on TV on New Years Eve back in 1995...Monster City or something...either way that doesn;t count and I got in a lot of trouble *remembers* XD.

The first Anime that I ever watched must have been Oh My Goddess a very long tie ago...I remember telling my brother "Anime sucks, it'll be no good, honest" Boy was I wrong. After that Anime became a huge obsession of mine XD

Hiromu Tagushi
2003-12-09, 19:54
hmm.....o.o
i think that was saint seiya... maybe o.O
i don't remember very well u.u
in 1994 i've watched saint seiya, captain tsubasa, yuyu hakusho, sailor moon.. can be one of these ones

Killeemegee
2003-12-09, 21:54
I remember a series when I was 5 that included 3 guys who controlled different coloured mechs. I cant remember the name though.

The one that got me into anime though was Devil Man. I'd never seen anything like it in my life. Cartoons swearing, killing,changing into demons, nudity. When you're 9 years old this effects you, and I thought it was the coolest thing Ive ever seen.

For 10+ years Ive been watching anime now.

lighter junkie
2003-12-10, 02:15
i believe for the most part, it's DB interspersed with sailormoon, i wouldn't say they're the first ones i choose to watch, more like i was forcefully exposed to those things while not being as careful as i should of been while walking around the primiter of the TV. damn cousins.
anyhow, the first show that got me interesed voluntarily would be Slam Dunk!...or was it One Piece, can't remember.

KeishoumoriDei
2003-12-11, 22:10
GAH... I feel so left out... the first anime I ever watched would probably be.... DORAEMON!!! *audience gasps* I know... but it's still one of my favs.. . probably because I was like 5 when I saw it. The series that actually started my addiction would be CCS... and yes I am male. CCS is still one of my favourite animes though.

1337l4m32
2003-12-11, 22:46
my first anime...i think it was speed racer, that was a while ago...

Ainana
2003-12-12, 03:45
Bubblegum Crisis -
I just thought, wow, these are really cool kickass fighting women. It made me happy...

Priss was my favorite.
However, now when I go back to watch it, I find that having experienced more anime, I don't like it half as much. I was less picky then, and lots more picky now I guess. But it was still good back in the old days....
And I still like Priss.

ky_khor
2003-12-12, 06:10
my first anime from internet (download) - neon genesis evangelion

transformer origin from Japan????

Blue*Dragon
2003-12-12, 07:25
hm first anime ey

it was a 3d anime that i saw it was

Transformers- Beast Wars
that was on SBS6 on Holland's tv channel in 1994 if i got it correct

Stofzuiger
2003-12-12, 20:13
hm first anime ey

it was a 3d anime that i saw it was

Transformers- Beast Wars
that was on SBS6 on Holland's tv channel in 1994 if i got it correct

lol, it's crap (imo, not to start a flame war :) hey, transformers armada is nu op yorin, als je transformers leuk vind :eyebrow: )

but my first anime (shame on me) was dbz at a friend of mine's.
However, when they got to the 2nd or 3rd stronger enemy, I got slightly bored, and started looking for other animes... and then I found wonderland :heh:

wnkryo
2003-12-12, 21:02
I can't remember T.T

xombi
2003-12-12, 21:25
Well.......... I am probably one of the older fans here, so do not be alarmed when I say Robotech (on TV in the 80's) - but the first that I "Knew" was anime, was Bubblegum Crisis the original series. Obviously it has had a major impact, as I am still collecting - unfortunately it also means the hundreds of $ I spent on VHS tapes, I now want to spend again buying them on DVD *sigh*. It has gotten so much easier now with DIVX and HK DVD's.... I was one of those sending off $8/tape through the mail for fansubs of Kenshin and Fushigi Yuugi.... those were long waits. Back when it took 2+ years for ADV to release Evangelion - and charge you $30 for 1 or 2 episodes on a VHS. Man, I could buy a new PC just with the money spent on Evangelion... scary.

luckme10
2003-12-12, 21:56
Mine was Rockman and Ronin Warriors...Saturday morning cartoons when i was like 6. Good times. The first time I saw ronin warriors i thought it was the coolest thing ever. Then came sailor moon, pokemon and dragon ball z. Ranma bebop then eva, lain trigun then noir kenshin gundams zz, 0080 0030 mobile suit, 08 ms team ippo, love hina, initial D, Ayashi No Ceres Ai Yori Aoshi onegai twins, azumanga diaoh those were probably my most memoriable. Just because my memory works like the first and last things i've seen.

GATX207_Blitz
2003-12-13, 01:38
first anime ay???

I think it was a h3n7@i one of my friends showed it to me and I was like whoa cartoons (remember i didn't know it was anime) can do that???........:j/k:

OK Really bad joke but...

Anyways the first anime I ever really saw was DB.. well actually I didn't see it seeing how it was a manga. I personally had enjoyed this mainly because it was a nice intro into the animation world because main characters could actually die...well sure they cam back like a billion kajillion times, but the idea of heaven and hell were implemented to an extent where there were rules to coming back and such and I found that interesting. Now of course I have been really immersed in the world of anime now and I don't really find as much enjoyment in DB as I once had, but its a classic....it also kind of reminds me Naruto.

Kurara
2003-12-13, 01:57
Candy Candy, Rose of Versailles and Astroboy when I was 5-6 years old.. I loved Candy Candy and Astroboy, but I absolutely hated Rose of Versailles for some reason.. I think I just didn't like the "mature" looking art style. Those are the very first anime series I've seen...

There was a lot of anime on TV when I was a kid.. So I always saw anime series like.. The anime versions of Sherlock Holmes, Ann of green gables and the Three Musketeers.. I also watched a show about a dinosaur who ate metal.. Named "Gozura" or something like that. I loved that show. o_o; There was another anime with a talking cow and his friend the turtle.. I don't remember how that was named though. There was also Mahou Tsukai Sally.. Which had another name in french. There was another one... Hm.. about a little girl who milked cows in a farm. I think she was an orphan or something.. But I don't remember the name. Oh! and another one I watched very very often... Was about a little girl who lived in the alps.. It wasn't Heidi.. It was a little blonde girl.. In the french version, her name was Annette. or something like that.. And it was always really sad. x_o Like her friend pushed her little brother down the cliff by accident and he broke his leg... And her mother died near the end of the series too... I don't know if anyone remembers that..

There was also a lot of .. Anime series with animal characters. o-o Like there was one that was translated in English too.. About animals who lived in the forest.. It was really peaceful. I think the two main characters were squirrels or something.. There was also one with pandas.. One with a beaver. o.o And there was a very very CUTE one that I really loved... About a village of animals.. There was little cats and little bunnies and other animals and they wore clothes like humans. And there was a little bunny girl with a bow. [ no, it wasn't hello kitty o-o ] I wish I could find that anime again...

I always knew they were Japanese cartoons but I never really knew that much about anime... Then I started watching SM. When I started buying Sailor Moon manga, I found out that there was more manga too... I think the first manga series I read aside from Sailor Moon was Ranma ..

But the first anime I saw that wasn't a TV show.. While knowing it was anime and knowing about it.. was Project A-ko, I think.. Or Dragon Half.. Or maybe I rented both at the same time.

CaliforniaRoll
2003-12-13, 02:50
Some hentai movie with tentacles, rape, etc.. It was accually pretty disgusting and i couldnt imagine why anime was even something people would watch. Then i got really drunk and everyone passed out, so i decided to watch some TV but the only videos he had were anime. So i picked out an anime that didnt look like it invovled beastiality. Lucky for me that anime was Akira! After that i was hooked.

Kenji
2003-12-14, 19:49
In 1994, Saint Seiya. I was 10.

Blue*Dragon
2003-12-15, 13:26
[QUOTE=Stofzuiger]lol, it's crap (imo, not to start a flame war :) hey, transformers armada is nu op yorin, als je transformers leuk vind :eyebrow: )

That transformers Beast Wars was the first anime that i ever saw. I didn't knew from that time that there were anime website. When i noticed that they are was in the time from dbz. But when i saw those transformers i didn't have internet in that time.
So i was crazy of that anime until i saw more and more anime.

hhmm don't know why :confused: but i still watch transformers, maby because it was de first animation that i saw :twitch:.

Joe Dalton
2003-12-15, 15:48
hard to say... i think it was called something like 7 dragons...
but its been like so long that the name has slipped from my memory nor do i remember what it was about...
The first that I watched and remember was a movie about a guy going up into space.... For some reason there are some fragments i still remember from it even though its been allot of years.... At the beginning you see allot of trainees in what i remember as odd looking outfits. Then when he is to be the guy that goes up into space someone tries to asasinate him.
And at the end when he is in outer space and gives a statement to the press he quotes something from the bible that a girl told him.

VanFanel
2003-12-15, 23:22
My first post, I guess this is a suiting thread to start in. :D

I learned about manga and anime first through videogames, so the first anime I watched, knowing it was anime, was probably Street Fighter 2 the movie. After that, Ninja Scroll. Then Akira, and so on. Actually, I wasn't really hooked until I saw Princess Mononoke. That was the turning point for me. The story was so complex, unlike anything I'd seen in a drawed movie until then. And so beautiful.. When I got access to the internet, I finally had a chance to widen my horizon, and see some tv-series that are ridiculously difficult to get where I live. :) Now, it's one of my favourite past-times.

I guess you could count in Transformers and "Les mondes engloutis" as well, they kind of defined my childhood, and might have sparked the interest for anime at an earlier age than I am concious of. :)

http://perso.club-internet.fr/esteban3/pics/Intro.gif

Oneesama
2003-12-15, 23:55
I don't know if anyone recall this old anime~~ " The Little Magician " very short series~ It's about an ordinary girl who grands special power from some fallen angel / spirit for her to change into a magician and does magic showz~~

Joe Dalton
2003-12-16, 07:22
I think it was something like the 7 dragons.
But its been so many years the name has faded from my memory.
The first anime I remember what it s was about (though again no memory of the name) was about someone (i think the first in japanese history) to go into space.
Its begins with trainees that (in my memory) had verry silly clothing.
Somewhere there is an assasination attempt in somekind of storage room.
And it ends with him being in outer space giving a press release and he quotes something form the bible that a girl told him.... I remember it as a touching story but I was pretty young at the time so maybe if i watched it now it wouldnt be as good.... So i just dont watch it :) better to let memories be memories no?

Fei-san
2003-12-16, 14:11
Robotech,loved the mechs :D
but i always started to cry when the zentradi giants started appearing, btw what was the main characters name? lol
And Rai the caveboy(i think it's called that)
still wonder how he did a knife from wood O,O

Fei-san
2003-12-16, 14:13
I remember a series when I was 5 that included 3 guys who controlled different coloured mechs. I cant remember the name though.

For 10+ years Ive been watching anime now.
kyaaaaaaaa
you mean robotech :D

The 3 ppl was named Max,Ben and..... waaah cant remeber :D

Hellraizer0
2003-12-16, 16:23
It would have to be Ninja Scroll the movie, just an amazing movie, the part where jubei sliced that rock guy in half....amazing.

Doan
2003-12-16, 19:07
damn did no one see "Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs"? or Captain Bravestar?
my fist onese was Heidi, Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs and Captain Bravestar, without knowing about anime. and with half-way knowing Plastic Little and Blue Submariene No.6, thanks them i forced to find more out about anime. and found BB Crisis 2040 and COWBOY BEBOP, and and and................

oh, Ghost in hte Shell was the firts on i bought.

stelok
2003-12-18, 00:49
The very first anime series I ever saw is Daimos. I loved that show but unfortunately it was only aired in Philippines. it never even reached America.

Hen
2003-12-18, 03:55
aya ! how to remember ?! :eyespin: I think when I was a verry little girl the very first anime I watched was Astro the robot ? (not sure of the title), a story whith a little boy who is a robot, who's kind and saves the world everyday :D
Or maybe it was Candy Candy ? :D I'm not so sure

musicdied
2004-01-05, 05:18
OKay, I know I am not the only one out there whos first anime was Sailor Moon. Haha, I remember in 3rd grade I was flipping through the channels after school and on UPN channel 12 was Sailor Moon and the last fight against Queen Barel. That was so long ago and far in the story plot. I used to watch that show, record it with VHS and show all my friends. All the time. Slowly over time until early 6th grade I discontinued my addiction and advanced to anime for an older, teen, audience.
Like, the next anime was Cowboy bebop, then Trigun. Now my faves consist of Naruto, Bastard and One Piece and many others. There are so many more but I can't get ahold of the episodes.
I am not fond of Sailor Moon at all. In fact I dislike it alot now but thats because I grew up and away from it. Im not ashamed to say it was my first real anime I watched. LOL. It was fun while it lasted!

xoxo, alyssa.
then the music died so softly in my ear

kamij0
2004-01-05, 05:26
doraemon i think

Kaneda
2004-01-05, 06:36
Well, Sailor Moon was actually my second anime. The first place was stolen by The Thunder Cats. When you're younger, you really felt that these shows were the best on planet. I may say that I have a differet opinion now ^^

Oogle
2004-01-05, 06:44
The first anime i ever watched was Guyver since then i have gained a substantial collection both on and off my PC.

dent
2004-01-05, 06:49
first anime.. *_* the first downloaded one was... Love Hina I guess, and the first ever was.. pkmn

MuGeN_BoY
2004-01-05, 07:19
MY first would be astro boy, but Evangelion is what got me hooked into anime..

chImp
2004-01-05, 07:24
doraemon i think
kamij0 I must know, from wich anime is that pig?!

Amy
2004-01-05, 09:15
Hm, my first anime was... pokemon, I used to watch that when I was like...7, I think, lol, so that was a long time ago.... first downloaded anime was Inu yasha ^^

Blue Siren
2004-01-05, 09:22
Akira ( eons ago)
But the first serie was Sailor Moon I guess... then DBZ and Evangelion and I was hooked baby!!!

Illuzion
2004-01-05, 09:56
I'm pretty sure my first anime was ranma 1/2... and the first downloaded was inuyasha

monir
2004-01-05, 09:56
I am sure I have seen a similar thread before. Anyway, the first anime I watched was Ninja Scroll the Movie. After that I was sucked into the anime universe and needed my daily fix ever since.kamij0 I must know, from wich anime is that pig?!I believe that pig is from Peace Maker Kurogane.

Yakumae
2004-01-05, 11:17
Well, Sailor Moon was actually my second anime. The first place was stolen by The Thunder Cats. When you're younger, you really felt that these shows were the best on planet. I may say that I have a differet opinion now ^^

You are the second person on here that I have seen who seems to think that Thundercats is an anime. It isn't.

As for my first anime, it was Sea Prince and Fire Child, one which I would be surprised if anyone has actully seen much less it be their first.

SAKAMOTO JULIETTA
2004-01-05, 19:05
Dragon ball was mi first anime and one of my favorites till this date.

corp20
2004-01-05, 19:11
TRANSFORMERS!!!!!!!! Then followed by Thunder Cats, Sailor Moon and I believe Ranma 1/2 but I'm not too sure......

kj1980
2004-01-05, 19:44
most likely to be "Soreyuke Anpanman" as it is usually an anime that most children first see as a little child around the age of one or two.

By the age of three, we realize we are watching animes like Doraemon.

But in a sense, there really isn't "what is the first anime" to me, since I don't know, as I have been watching it before my memory has a memory.

PSX
2004-01-05, 21:37
my first anime was probably intial d...i think...heh

7thMethuselah
2004-01-05, 22:01
first anime : when i was like 5 years old i watched Goldorak (really really old mecha anime) and later on I watched alot of Saint Seiya (the original series). First dl anime would be gundam wing i think...

kjwise
2004-01-05, 22:41
Hajimemashite yoroshiku onegaishimasu!

The first anime I saw was when I sneaked down late to watch Aliens for the first time on TV. To this day I have no idea what it was, but they both scared me wittless :) . I remember I had the volume turned really low so as not to disturb my parents, and had my face almost against the glass to hear it. If I had to put a year on it that would be about 1990.

About a year later I saw an Akira video bootleg (without subtitles) from one of my friends brother, and I was completely blown away.

I've only found digital fansubs within the last 3 months, and so my first download was Tsukihime, I think.

coldzero
2004-01-05, 23:43
i think my first anime was Tortoro(is that how you spell it) I believe it was so.
But my ever first completed series of animation was...gundam wing

FinFangFoom
2004-01-06, 03:28
I'm also positive this thread is a repeat, but my first was "Ninja the Wonder Boy" and "Robotech" and "Voltron". Not positive which came first, but I'd guess the first one.

Akira was the one that got me hooked though.

Joe Dalton
2004-01-06, 03:33
Im sure its a repeat lol about 3 weeks ago at most =/
anyway i tihnk it was called something like 7 dragons............. no not dragon balls!
I dont really have a clue what it was about

PraxRX7
2004-01-06, 04:18
First anime was Astro Boy in the late 80's.
Then I saw an episode or 2 of Dragonball (and hated it at the time), then I saw some Sailor Moon and immediatelly went online and grabbed as many episodes as I could find in japanese format with subtitles. (Season 1-5). That turned me into a hopeless romantic.

Then I saw Patlabor, Patlabor 2, Armitage III, Gal Force, and a few other anime movies that were aired on the space channel. Then of course, cowboy bebop, trigun, initial D, naruto etc.

Now I am completely addicted to anime and can't stop, I am 21 and go outside wearing DBZ shirts! HELP ME! lol :help:

Thany
2004-01-06, 06:51
I am sure I have seen a similar thread before.

Yes, I think there was one actually.
By the way...
I'm not sure if I'm right but I think my first anime might have been Hi! Step Jun...
But well, it could have been another, but it was one of my first ones, at least.

gravitation
2004-01-06, 11:48
ahh i remember a thread like this but o well!:D
i think (im realllly uncertain) that it may have been Venus Wars .... not sure tho :heh: ^_^

mr_green32
2004-01-06, 12:10
My very first anime was Iria: The Ziram Animation. Many moons back, the Sci-Fi channel aired various anime and, as I was channel surfing, I came across Iria right when it started. My very first personally-owned anime was Akira. I had that, Ghost In The Shell and Ranma 1/2 The Movie 2: Nihao My Concubine all on one VHS. Not long after that, Ninja Scroll! Ah, the good old days.

stormy001_M1A2
2004-01-06, 15:08
Mine was Choguken Denki something Voltes 5

kj1980
2004-01-06, 16:07
Mine was Choguken Denki someting Voltes 5

Choudenji Machine Voltes V (the roman numeral for "five")

Wow you must be around the same age as me if you remember that...that show was from 1977-1978.

The last several episodes, (especially where the enemy commander Heinel dies) was a very memorable one...

stormy001_M1A2
2004-01-06, 16:31
Yeap, I am 1975 born, now teaching military history in local military college.

Ballz
2004-01-06, 17:14
I'm not sure which I saw first, so it'd be a toss-up between Transformers, Mazinger Z (dubbed as Tranzor Z) and Nausicaa (dubbed as Warriors of the Wind).

The first anime I saw that I recognized as anime would have to be... Dirty Pair, Project Eden. ^____^

baka desu
2004-01-06, 17:15
My first Anime was love hina lol about a year and half ago
i still love it to bits now :)

FinFangFoom
2004-01-06, 17:23
I'm not sure which I saw first, so it'd be a toss-up between Transformers, Mazinger Z (dubbed as Tranzor Z)...............
Is Tranzor Z by chance that one from the early to mid 80's where they had a giant mech that they used to fight against an evil scientist creations, and every episode they would be about to lose but then would use their special weapon which was to open up their chest and instatly melt the enemy, but you never understood why they didn't just do that from the beginning? That was an awsome series that would have been on my list of first, but I could never remember the name of it!

Also Shogun Warriors was pretty badass too, the toys and cartoons both.

bluemist
2004-01-06, 17:31
The first anime that opened my eye to anime was Cardcaptor Sakura.

But technically I've been watching cartoons when I was a kid, and so far all I remembered were some classic drama anime (like A Dog of Flanders), and a lot of mecha (Transformers, Robotech). We had our share of sentai too.

Ballz
2004-01-06, 18:12
Is Tranzor Z by chance that one from the early to mid 80's where they had a giant mech that they used to fight against an evil scientist creations, and every episode they would be about to lose but then would use their special weapon which was to open up their chest and instatly melt the enemy, but you never understood why they didn't just do that from the beginning? That was an awsome series that would have been on my list of first, but I could never remember the name of it!

That's it. It aired on Nickelodean back in the mid-80s.

Mazinger Z (the original anime that Tranzor Z was dubbed from) is hailed as one of the godfathers of modern robot anime.

Ballz
2004-01-06, 18:13
I can't believe I forgot it earlier, but Voltron. Sheez. I'm pretty sure that was the first one I saw, that or Nausicaa.

pezzed3
2004-01-06, 18:58
It was definitly either Robotech, Voltron, or Mazinger. I have no idea which of those I saw first though. The first anime I consciously recognized as anime was Sailor Moon though.

azn_FTG
2004-01-06, 19:48
mine first anime is love hina,gundam 08th ms team

naru is so kool

LipidSama
2004-01-06, 21:09
My First Anime *Didn't Know it was Anime at the time*
-Voltron
-Thundercats
(If you said you watched astro boy, ur either a liar or a loser...haha ..the ealry 80's astro boy was the worse show on TV, completely void of anything intelegent, you must have been zombies to watch that garbage)

I got into anime in the late 80's early 90's when they use to play anime for an hour on sci-fi saturday morning, It was so much better then 90% of the american shows, however I still watched He-Man, and i did watch X-Men, and Silversurfer and Spiderman..couldnt help it.

ummm, Later grew, my peek was right after toonami brought back robotech, and tundercats, when it was only on for an hour. that stirred it all back up.

Later I got into subbing and distro'in on IRC, We did like 50 series, and ripped like 100 albums for music, if yo ugot alot of downloads you probably got some of our work.
*Bragging* - i got 1.63 Terabytes of anime on CD.. lol I fill my HDD's up, then burn it, and start over.
I ONLY DO DVD RIPPS, Camms, screeners etc I cant stand them.

h3lldiver
2004-01-14, 09:59
hm if u guys called thundercats anime, than it will be my first ( although i dont like it) than come Macross, Patlabor, NGE, Ghost in the shell the movie, gundam series, Chobits n now looking for yukikaze and planetess

by the way any 1 knows any torrent link for Yukikaze? and Gunnm Last order manga?

Sailordareone2300
2004-01-14, 10:11
Its got to be The one and only Astroboy
But The one that got me into anime was Project Ako The First

<^UmAyR^>
2004-01-14, 10:52
My ver very first anime was CAptain Tsubasa, the soccer anime, they currently show it in singapore but im not from singapore,(canada), then Robotech

Rhia
2004-01-14, 10:58
Mine was love hina...

Sailordareone2300
2004-01-14, 11:11
What year did Lona hina come out
because i was watching anime since the early 80s Astroboy rocks!!!

Bortix
2004-01-15, 19:37
Voltron and I go way back.

AuKwOrD1
2004-01-15, 19:57
mine was macross or ninja scroll can't remember which came first...we are talkin about just japanese anime right?

andrixnet
2004-01-23, 07:25
Mine was about 9 years ago on Italia UNO, the italian dub "Il mistero della pietra azzurra" (Fushighi no umi no Nadia) The very fist one I saw.

Anime Master
2004-01-23, 07:56
My First anime was probably DBZ

chibi Jiraiya plushy
2004-01-23, 14:26
Sailor Moon or Gundam Wing

TheBigL
2004-01-23, 15:58
I saw couple of animes - princes mononoke, ghost in the shell, red hock but the anime that triggered my love for anime was Ninja scroll, I remebered I walked a week smilieng :D

SimplyEd
2004-01-23, 16:08
Kaze no Tani no Nausicaa or Warriors of the Wind british vhs tape edition......a brilliant anime but this version was horribly raped by censorship,still it was good enough to ignite a burning passion for over 15 years,thank you very much^^

suguru
2004-01-23, 19:25
The first anime I can remember watching were Star Blazers and Voltron.

ElvenPath
2004-01-23, 21:57
Thread merged with an existing one of the same topic.

bassmanG
2004-01-23, 22:33
The first anime I saw was sailor moon, but the first anime I actually watched was gundam wing.

Soconfused
2004-01-23, 23:33
Voltron, although I don't remeber much of it and it didn't turn me into a anime fan, maybe cause I was so young. The anime That first got me into anime was sailor moon, and I loved every bit of it. :help: I'm weird....

Dark Schneider
2004-01-24, 00:29
The first anime i saw was either SDF Macross, or Gundam

mysticarcher
2004-01-24, 02:09
first anime I watched was FLCL
great stuff

SilentBob
2004-04-29, 07:53
The first anime series I watched was Candy Candy. The first movie I watched was Windaria. This was all back in the mid-eighties. (85,86,87)

Sethi
2004-04-29, 08:16
It was either Captain Tsubasa or Saint Seiya, both of them were shown at the same time where i live.

kamatari honjo
2004-04-29, 08:51
hmm, i watched voltron and galaxy express adamantly when i was young, and i owned galaxy train 999 on beta on watched that thing about a bazillion times.

it was one of the first, but galaxy train 999 still possibly one of my favorite movies of all time.

Mr_Paper
2004-04-29, 09:40
Tetsuwan Atom!! It was a good show to watch as a kid. ^^
It played for an hour straight before the Three Stooges every Saturday on channel 12...

KristopherZ
2004-04-29, 11:10
Speed racer? I guess.....

But Akira was definitely the one to get me into anime.

Sparkie
2004-04-29, 14:34
hum really hard one -_- I don't really know, I guess the first anime I saw, when I
realized what anime was, was Rurouni Kenshin. I loved the opening/ending song
and when I saw Sanosuke, I was soo impressed by his big sword thingie :D

The first anime I ever downloaded is Cowboy Bebop, which is still the anime I love most :heh:

junko
2004-04-29, 15:44
When I was a kid, I was absolutely obsessed with cartoons, and didn't watch any kind of live-action shows, if I could help it. This went on until I was about 9 or 10 (not sure, I don't have a very good memory). I remember Transformers, Legend on Zelda, and one about two koala bears, the small one was pink, and they could talk. The was another one about a boy who became a superhero whenever he ate bananas, and one about a boy whose bottle became a space-ship, Max-something or other (not sure if they were anime, though). Princess Mononoke was the first thing I actually recognized as anime; I was 13 or 14, and thought it royally sucked.

By the way (completely off-topic), has anyone seen Baby-Love? Eveybody looks at me as if I'm crazy whenever I mention it.

Secca
2004-04-29, 16:00
The first one I watched, I'm not quite sure. It's either Doraemon, Mazinger Z or Voltus V. That was back when I was 4 or 5 years old. I remember watching Saint Seiya too, that was the first bloody anime show I've ever seen.

Anyone remember the show Ultraman and Megaloman? ^^

MikoKikyo
2004-04-29, 16:18
Yea, Saint Seiya was the first, but I was too young to appreciate it fully, or recognize it as anime... I guess, I'd have to say *looks around*... Sailor Moon... but I was 9, so I feel excused ;)

The first one I ever downloaded was Inuyasha...And I remember the joy of the first download pretty well =D

Secca
2004-04-29, 16:26
Lol yes Inu Yasha one those first download back then, I was waiting on a XDCC for days getting Inu Yasha.

I just remember another old anime I watched when I was little. Anyone remember Candy Candy and Ikyu-san? ^^

sheanight
2004-04-29, 17:07
...star blazers ... anyone remember that one?

Spiggy
2004-04-29, 20:39
Mine would either be Vampire Hunter D or Robotech...not sure which came first and don't care 'cause I love them both.

DistortedRealmS
2004-04-29, 21:17
Well DB/dbz and sailormoon were the first I watched but at that time I was unaware that anime was even anime and that the genre was so wide spread my eyes are still wide at the amount there is. But the first anime I can recall was NGA and escaflowne (reason being I picked up the english version from blockbuster of nge and watched escaflowne on tv in english but wanted to hear the japanese version of both so got on kazaa and found some subs of both)Shortly after I found a group actually subbing anime (my first time hearing about fansubs lol) and excited I downloaded and watched for the first time what I consider my first real anime Serial experiments: Lain.

Cheers
Rob

Ialdaboth
2004-04-30, 06:19
Grendizer, Go Nagai's super robot from outer space ^___^

It is pretty old, end of the 70s i believe...

xxziggybitsxx
2004-04-30, 10:44
OMG... my frist anime was Nausicaa.... i guess watching that Masterpeice, got me hooked on anime.

skreech
2004-04-30, 15:40
I'm not sure which was my first anime but, i've narrowed it down to 3 possible choices. It was either Speed Racer, Akira, or Ronin Warriors. I remember watching Speed Racer and Ronin Warriors almost religiously along with Sailor Moon, and Tenchi Muyo :heh: . I've only been into fansubs since last October, tho.

mantidor
2004-04-30, 16:07
Thread merged with an existing one of the same topic.
I think there is another one more, because I don't see the post I did about my first anime here...

Spiggy
2004-04-30, 18:18
I'm not sure which was my first anime but, i've narrowed it down to 3 possible choices. It was either Speed Racer, Akira, or Ronin Warriors. I remember watching Speed Racer and Ronin Warriors almost religiously along with Sailor Moon, and Tenchi Muyo :heh: . I've only been into fansubs since last October, tho.
I used to watch Ronin Warriors when it was on FOX at 630a on Saturdays. I thought it was awesome. Akira got me thinking of super mental powers. Ahh...memories.

Silver_Scorcher
2004-04-30, 23:59
The first one I saw was Astro Boy, way back when I was 2 or 3. I still have most of the episodes on tape, and I've made it an annual tradition to watch every episode I own once a year. I still haven't gotten tired of it. Maybe the original Transformers & G I Joe as well, but I don't think they count. From what I know, both of them were made with both American & Japanese ingenuity.

Lina Inverse
2004-05-01, 00:08
I hazily remember having watched Captain Future as a Child... of course I didn't have any idea what it was.
The first anime I watched consciously, knowing it was anime, was Sailor Moon.

Hao Asakura
2004-05-01, 00:13
As far as I could remember, my first anime is Voltus V. Then followed by Doraemon, Dragonball, Sailormoon, Candy Candy, and the one which made me hooked to anime is Saint Seiya the original TV series. Really good old days :)

gothlink666
2004-05-23, 02:56
it was recording's of speed racer that my uncle had.

Secca
2004-05-23, 03:00
As far as I could remember, my first anime is Voltus V. Then followed by Doraemon, Dragonball, Sailormoon, Candy Candy, and the one which made me hooked to anime is Saint Seiya the original TV series. Really good old days :)
lol omg we're neighbour or something, I pretty much watch the same stuffs. ^^

That was the era of Uchu Keiji Gavan, Kamen Rider and Gogle V too. ^^

Edit: Oh and Ninja Turtle. ^^

Marvin
2004-05-24, 11:44
loong ago i remember seeing sailor moon but for me that dosent count. A few years ago i saw Hellsing and since then ive been hooked

Slugge
2004-05-24, 11:52
I watched pokemon as little... only anime going on TV here in norway... but the first one that gotme hooked was naruto... and still hooked on that and about 40 others :P

Blaat
2004-05-24, 12:13
Barbapapa, Heidi, Wizard of Oz, Chiisana Ahiru no Ooki na Ai no Monogatari Ahiru no Quack (Alfred J. Quack), The City of Gold and some bunch others.

I feel so original :P

Jumper
2004-05-24, 12:25
I think that the first anime i've watched was Captian Future in the end of the 80s or beginn of the 90s, but its also possible that the first was Saber Riders, and later then i've watched Captian Tsubasa, Mila, Kickers etc.

Many years later i've become a real animefan after i saw a anime on Vox (it was in the night an i've only seen 1 or 2 eps), but i don't know what anime it was.

llama
2004-05-26, 00:16
Sailor Moon! And I didn't even really know what anime WAS at the time! I knew there was something different about it though... I just thought it was a really cool show. And I thought it was just the coolest anime EVER! Needless to say that impression didn't hold once I started watching other anime, like Slayers and Ah! Megami-sama. Still, part of me will always like it.

Limiter
2004-05-26, 00:24
My first anime was one of the world masterpiece theater series. I could'nt remember what it was. our TV was black n white.

It was a scene when some girl using some glider collecting round glass shells in the dessert. and large worms travelling on the ground. also a large group of ppl walking in the dessert along. i wish I know what it was.

boneyjellyfish
2004-05-26, 00:29
My first anime was Voltron, followed by Robotech and then either Sailormoon or the original Sonic (http://www.sonichq.org/newsite/cartoon/SatAM.php3) series... I'm not sure which. I'm not even sure if that Sonic series, which began sometime in the early '90s, was even an anime.

They all seemed so amazing when I first watched them, but now I look back and think to myself, "How could I have watched THIS?!".

solidsonya
2004-06-02, 02:56
The first anime I ever saw was Sailor Moon in grade 2.
I don't think I was quite sure of what I was watching but i liked it then, nonetheless.. :D but i've gotten into many more animes after watching that one ..

nukunuku
2004-06-02, 23:27
i cant remember... what were some of the first animes to come to america?( i was born in 1987 what was out at that time?)
i remember sailormoon,dragon ball, this robot samurai fighting thing(it was back to back with dragon ball on the wb or upn i believe)ranma 1/2? anime seems natural to me like all other cartoons i dont remember which is the first i ever saw! now i really really wanna know! i know the first rpg i played was breath of fire 3.

underdog
2004-06-03, 00:45
Fist of the North Star
I watched this maybe 6 or 7 years ago and I remember almost every detail about the movie, interesting story line, great soundtrack, kick ass fight scenes and was a little emotional when Ray died to Raoh. The ending couldn't have finished off much better than it did, well....in my mind anyway.

Ombrenuit
2004-06-03, 07:20
Shadow Skill OVA for me ;-)

CerealKiller
2004-06-03, 08:11
maybe there were some i watched as a child, after that..... pokemon (sucked though), some dbz, but my real anime watching started with ranma 1/2

Radd
2004-06-03, 17:21
My first anime was Voltron, followed by Robotech and then either Sailormoon or the original Sonic (http://www.sonichq.org/newsite/cartoon/SatAM.php3) series... I'm not sure which. I'm not even sure if that Sonic series, which began sometime in the early '90s, was even an anime.

They all seemed so amazing when I first watched them, but now I look back and think to myself, "How could I have watched THIS?!".

The original Sonic cartoon (there were actually two of them made at the same time, one somewhat serious saturday morning cartoon and one warner brothers-esque weekday morning show) was American. The characters had been created by Archie comics of all people. I liked it at the time, but I share your opinion of looking back on it and wondering just what I saw in it.

Still, Voltron, Robotech, and Sailormoon were all edited to an almost unrecognizable degree. The stories in Voltron and Robotech especially. Go Lion was a much darker show than was shown in Voltron. Robotechj was made from three completely unrelated series, mangled to pieces and tacked together with duct tape. Sailormoon wasn't chopped up to nearly that degree, but there are huge differences between the American and Japanese shows. In all cases, the uncut shows are far superior, and at least in the case of Robotech and (I think) Sailor Moon, the uncut versions are now available on DVD.

IntegraTypeR
2004-06-06, 00:01
TRANSFORMERS!!!!!!!!!! Need Energon!

Robotech.

I also followed Dragonball (not Z).

Ayame
2004-08-18, 16:23
The first real anime I watched, was Ranma1/2.
My bro showed it to me and my sis on a german channel on TV.
I totally loved it :D! To bad it was german and I didn't understand much of it, but watching it was enough. We kept on watching it on the german channel for a while, and then we started downloading other anime's, Fushigi Yugi was the second, I think.

Veritas
2004-08-18, 21:47
Seven Cities of Gold. Long, long time ago on Nickelodeon.

I remember when I was 6 or so, and walking around the San Diego Comic-Con, I saw an anime where a girl was being lifted up by a bunch of glowing strings. Wasn't until some 10 years later that I realized it was the ending of Nausicaa.

[[IronMaidenHikari]]
2004-08-19, 01:21
It was Samurai Pizza Cats!!^^
I loved it really much, I still like it today!!

auriya
2004-08-19, 02:40
Samurai Pizza Cats was my first anime too. I really loved that show...Too bad I've never seen it for sale or anything. I wonder if there are DVDs or something out? Probably not, it's an old series, but still...I'd like to see it again.

quikimpulse
2004-08-19, 20:42
Ronin warriors and thundercats. These two are the farthest back i remember. These two really introduced me into the world of anime. Thunder Thunder Thundercats hoooooooooooooooo.

FrostLich
2004-08-19, 23:08
I beleive it was this street fighter anime but I cant really remember. I probably saw animes before that but street fighter was the first anime I was into and actually bothered to continue watching.

Kyolux
2004-08-20, 04:26
I'm pretty much sure it was Astro Boy, I loved that series so much when I was a kid, I always miss the new series airing saturday afternoon on Fox I think it was or YTV, not too sure.

Moonspell
2004-08-20, 06:31
My 1st Anime...mhm
I think it was Heidi ^^'' but i didn`t think,when I was little, Heidi is an Anime...
but Mila Superstar (the volleyball-anime) was my favourite anime...

Shoeshefied
2004-08-20, 07:36
MAya the Bee, (on Nickelodeon) (my research proves it was drawn by the japanese impressively) this was in 1992 when i was like frekin 3 or 4 ahaha...(still remember the opening songgg)
then after that... i watch that anime that has that big round looking cat ..forgot the title... makers of Mononoke Hime? i really like that show.. brought on an adventure for mee~!!~!!!.... following, (wonder if Aeon Flux was anime... fwahah..) Ronin Warriors, Ranma 1/2, Tenchi, Video Girl Ai, Serial Experimental Lain, DNA2, FLAME OF RECCAA...., and then a bunch of hentai afterwards.!..i was controlled by anime. ! :help:

ne0_loki
2004-08-20, 15:07
It was either Mermaid's Scar or Mermaid's Forest. one of those two OAVs. My friend had them dubbed on vhs and they rock! I ended up trading him alot of magic the gathering cards for all of his vhs anime (about 10 tapes). I still have those two shows, I even captured them and made svcds!!

First fansubbed anime: R.O.D. OVAs by Anime Coalition - they were sweet :)