PDA

View Full Version : Voice Actor Appreciation & Discussion

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Siegel Clyne
2007-06-16, 00:38
Dai 26 Kai Jisedai World Hobby Fair (26th Next Generation World Hobby Fair) (http://www.whobby.com/)
Saturday, June 23, 2007 & Sunday, June 24, 2007, 9:00am - 4:00pm, Makuhari Messe (http://www.m-messe.co.jp/index_e.html), Chiba Prefecture, Japan

Voice actors (seiyuu) of current anime based on Shonen Sunday manga appearing on the Sunday Stage at Shogakukan's Dai 26 Kai Jisedai World Hobby Fair (http://websunday.net/hobby/event/event.html) include:

Saturday, June 23, 2007
Yoshino Hiroyuki (Sumimura Yoshimori in Kekkaishi)
Morikubo Shoutarou (Shigeno Gorou in Major)
Shiraishi Ryouko (Ayasaki Hayate in Hayate no Gotoku! [Hayate the Combat Butler])
Sunday, June 24, 2007
Miyashita Eiji (Shishio Gen in Kekkaishi)
Kugimiya Rie (Sanzenin Nagi in Hayate no Gotoku!)
Tanaka Rie (Maria in Hayate no Gotoku!)
Morita Masakazu (Satou Toshiya in Major)

Also, on Sunday, June 24, 2007 at the Dai 26 Kai Jisedai World Hobby Fair, Hayate no Gotoku! manga artist (mangaka) Hata Kenjirou will hold an autograph session.

dondre
2007-06-16, 12:20
There are no naka-no-hito (inner person), so they are in your heart.

What do you mean no inner person, but in the heart with voice acting?

Kaioshin Sama
2007-06-17, 00:37
Dai 26 Kai Jisedai World Hobby Fair (26th Next Generation World Hobby Fair) (http://www.whobby.com/)
Saturday, June 23, 2007 & Sunday, June 24, 2007, 9:00am - 4:00pm, Makuhari Messe (http://www.m-messe.co.jp/index_e.html), Chiba Prefecture, Japan

Voice actors (seiyuu) of current anime based on Shonen Sunday manga appearing on the Sunday Stage at Shogakukan's Dai 26 Kai Jisedai World Hobby Fair (http://websunday.net/hobby/event/event.html) include:

Saturday, June 23, 2007
Yoshino Hiroyuki (Sumimura Yoshimori in Kekkaishi)
Morikubo Shoutarou (Shigeno Gorou in Major)
Shiraishi Ryouko (Ayasaki Hayate in Hayate no Gotoku! [Hayate the Combat Butler])
Sunday, June 24, 2007
Miyashita Eiji (Shishio Gen in Kekkaishi)
Kugimiya Rie (Sanzenin Nagi in Hayate no Gotoku!)
Tanaka Rie (Maria in Hayate no Gotoku!)
Morita Masakazu (Satou Toshiya in Major)

Also, on Sunday, June 24, 2007 at the Dai 26 Kai Jisedai World Hobby Fair, Hayate no Gotoku! manga artist (mangaka) Hata Kenjirou will hold an autograph session.

Rie Kugimiya! Awesome! She needs to come to Canada some time for Anime North.

Psychotic_Virtue
2007-06-17, 09:58
My Favourite Male Seiyus...
-Tomokazu Sugita
-Noriaki Sugiyama
-Mamoru Miyano

My Favourite Female Seiyus...
-Kikuko Inoue
-Aya Hirano
-Yukana Nogami

Great Voice Actors Of Many Of My Favourite Anime From The "Gentlemen" Roles Of Tomokazu Sugita To The "Big Sister" Roles Of Kikuko Inoue:D

P.V.

Kaioshin Sama
2007-06-17, 13:29
My Favourite Male Seiyus...
-Tomokazu Sugita
-Noriaki Sugiyama
-Mamoru Miyano

My Favourite Female Seiyus...
-Kikuko Inoue
-Aya Hirano
-Yukana Nogami

Great Voice Actors Of Many Of My Favourite Anime From The "Gentlemen" Roles Of Tomokazu Sugita To The "Big Sister" Roles Of Kikuko Inoue:D

P.V.

I fear for the world when a character who would smash a girl on the head, seems cold, distant and monotone and would go ballastic for reasons that seem to vary wildly is classified as a gentleman. That's how I interpret his roles. I prefer to reserve that kind of title for male characters that treat women with respect and dignity. I think the only role I would classify Sugita as a gentleman in is Brooklyn Luckfield with his Kusuha Mizuha relationship.

If you want "gentleman roles" overall, might I suggest Takehito Koyasu instead. :)

Kaoru Chujo
2007-06-17, 21:41
There is a rumor that Horie Yui, who has been with Arts Vision since her debut, has left that agency following the "casting couch" scandal involving its head, and is now independent. Seiyuu Watch says (http://blog.livedoor.jp/blur66430/archives/cat_50001631.html) that the editor in chief of the seiyuu magazine Seiyuu Grand Prix stated this as a fact on 15 June, but it has not been confirmed.

Hocchan posted a note on her blog (http://www.starchild.co.jp/artist/horie/diary/index.php?start=5) on 6 June saying that her fans had shown great concern for her since the scandal broke, but she stated that the agency had supported her since her debut and that she had never come across anything like what is reported to have happened. She thanked her fans for their concern, and said she will continue to work hard and hoped for continuing support.

Kaioshin Sama
2007-06-18, 02:52
There is a rumor that Horie Yui, who has been with Arts Vision since her debut, has left that agency following the "casting couch" scandal involving its head, and is now independent. Seiyuu Watch says (http://blog.livedoor.jp/blur66430/archives/cat_50001631.html) that the editor in chief of the seiyuu magazine Seiyuu Grand Prix stated this as a fact on 15 June, but it has not been confirmed.

Hocchan posted a note on her blog (http://www.starchild.co.jp/artist/horie/diary/index.php?start=5) on 6 June saying that her fans had shown great concern for her since the scandal broke, but she stated that the agency had supported her since her debut and that she had never come across anything like what is reported to have happened. She thanked her fans for their concern, and said she will continue to work hard and hoped for continuing support.

Good for her!:D

After that I wouldn't think anyone would want to be associated with the label anymore. An act of conscience and class that gives me hope for the industry overall after all the scandals this spring. Hopefully for her sake it doesn't hurt her career with her now being a free agent and all. On the flip side this might also be a new opportunity for her to land more roles outside of the usual harem circle rather than having to follow along with whatever they have in mind for her.

the_ultimate_samurai
2007-11-07, 09:47
ok i have just started watching ayatsuri sakon, i was on episode 14 when the character isshiki seiji caught my ear.
im having a hard time confirming (since the episodes dont seem to have credits for the cast...i dont know why) whether this character's seiyu is in fact Kaneto Shiozawa (the person who voice acted shaadi in the first yu-gi-oh series (a shadow game as its come to be called))
and im having a hard time finding any information on the seiyu who did this character.
can anyone help?

SeijiSensei
2007-11-07, 17:26
and im having a hard time finding any information on the seiyu who did this character.

The first place I look for answers to questions like yours is Anime News Network's Encyclopedia. I don't see the person you mentioned in the cast list (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=937).

the_ultimate_samurai
2007-11-07, 17:36
yeah, i already checked there. they only have main characters. this character was a side character in only one of the stories. he had a reletively small showing.

Westlo
2007-11-07, 17:39
^ You the same ultimate samurai who hanged out in #otaku_underground before they became #animeone?

the_ultimate_samurai
2007-11-08, 06:26
0_0 *blinks* yes, yes i am...i dont remember a westio...did you have a different name? (also it was otaku_underground_anime and they never became #animeone. many of the people from oua went to #animeMMU which was started by angelic_layer, who was from oua, #animeMMU in turn became #animeone.)
i think otaku_xero's bot "drgn's_bane" had a lot to do with the fall of oua (and of course the increasing rise of animemmu/animeone)

Westlo
2007-11-08, 07:45
Hmm I think I was going by _Van_ at the time... if it wasn't that than I can't remember my handle since this was like... what 2001 or 2002? I do remember I stopped going on IRC for anime since I got jaded/burnt out for a few months and when I came back it #OUA was dead (or just about) and angelic and nearly everyone else was in animeMMU releasing that Vandread.. special/recap??

I also wasn't around for when #animemmu turned into #animeone and I have no idea what happened with silentvoice (IIRC didn't him, angelic and deepwalker found animeone?). Anyone nice to see you around even if you don't remember me.

the_ultimate_samurai
2007-11-08, 08:04
yeah i remember you.
yep sv-kun, t-chan and kaikou-kun founded animeone. t-chan changed her name following threats from dvd companies like adv. sv-kun and kaikou kun (as well as animeone) can be found on irc.rizon.net
though rarely.
it was certainly a long long time go. it was just recently (about 4-5 years ago) i got dsl, and since then the number of anime i have seen has grown quite a bit (see sig) back in oua i had seen...ranma 1/2 (4 seasons) slayers, slayers next, and dna^2

Dernhelm
2007-11-12, 10:13
LOL, this could be potentially amusing cos obscure seiyuus Iida Toshinobu and Kondo Takashi just rose to #4 in Oricon thanks to their duet single from one of the Katekyo Hitman Reborn! ED songs.

Honey_and_Cleaver
2007-11-12, 15:27
Takashi Kondo getting points as i expected, next super rising star, Yuiichi Nakamura, his voice acting is soo ultra cool.

LunaWolf
2007-11-28, 06:45
Minagawa Junko... Her voice is so cool, great and s3xy!! She can do both males and females.
Paku Romi... Her voice is so cool. She done many popular characters.
Hoshi Souichiro... He can voice for both feminine guys and rough, hot-tempered guys.

I LOVE THEM~ ^^

zoot
2007-12-11, 01:03
I like Chiwa Saito (Anita King@ROD TV) and Nanae Katou (Ahiru@Princess Tutu). Yui Horie was getting stale, but she was good in Manabi Straight (didn't even realize it was her at first).

For the largely neglected male actors, Masaya Onosaka is fun in his Vash voice when written well (eg. Baccano, first half of Trigun).

I wish ANN would list seiyuu roles by date.

Traece
2007-12-11, 02:09
Here's some appreciation for two voice actors who, of all of them, seem to be in all the animes 'I' watch. Here's to two of the few English voice actors(I say few because there can't be a lot if they're in so many different animes).
Brad Swaile - Amuro Ray, Harry Champ(zoids), Quatre(Gundam Wing), Light Yagami(Death Note), Sai(Hikaru no Go), and several assorted animes.
Richard Ian Cox - Bit Cloud(Zoids), Inuyasha, Kai Shiden(Gundam), Tolle Koening & Shanni Andras(Gundam Seed), Scattershot(Transformers Cybertron), and assorted.
Pretty much, they're not only in a lot of the same animes(Especially mechas apparently), but they're(in my anime watching life) the most recurring that I know of. They also seem to sound like other actors as well, considering I was convinced since I had recently watched Mobile Suit Gundam 0079, that Brad Swaille was both Amuro Ray and Kira Yamato. This isn't true, but I was completely convinced beyond belief! In short, Bandai is a bunch of cheapos. <_<

Valashu
2007-12-11, 06:20
Top 5

1 Ellis - El Cazador de ja bruja
2 Princess Sakura - Tsubasa Chronicle
3 Lacus Clyne - Gundam SEED
4 Kira Yamato - Gundam Seed Destiny
5 Aoi Oribe - Myself yourself

P.s Last one is a joke

Mushi
2007-12-11, 14:50
Watched 3x3 Eyes a couple days ago and watching Slayers again currently. So, I'm freshly reminded of how wonderful Megumi Hayashibara (http://www.usagi.org/~doi/seiyuu/hayashibara-megumi/) is.

yezhanquan
2008-05-31, 21:31
Time to raise this thread.

Personally a fan of gents instead of ladies in this department. Somehow, my manga tastes lead me to a certain few seiyu (when said manga gets the anime/drama CD treatment).

Faves include Hoshi Soichiro, Ishida Akira and Koyasu Takehito.

qtipbrit
2008-05-31, 22:32
mmm... I can agree on Hoshi and Koyasu, being two of my favourite male seiyuu.

Of course, the anime I watch generally have fewer male characters than female characters, so I can never get attached to male seiyuu's voices as easily as I can for female seiyuu.

My personal favourite for cuteness and a good range, including various emotions, would be Yui Horie and Yukari Tamura, but I'm also quite fond of the Marimite, Shakugan no Shana crew: Kana Ueda (though she doesn't appear with the others as often), Rie Kugimiya, Mamiko Noto, Hitomi Nabatame, Shizuka Itou, etc.
I'm also a fan of Rie Tanaka for various reasons.

As far as male seiyuu go, the only ones that might spark my interest in an anime are the two mentioned above, both of the more well-known Tomokazus, Junichi Suwabe, and maybe a couple others.

yezhanquan
2008-06-01, 02:23
Akira is unique to me because of his boyish voice. His characters can be a bit "WTF?", like Nagisa Kaworu and Fish Eyes.

I second Tanaka Rie. Her monologue in Gundam Seed Destiny (as Lacus and Meer) was impressive. Also, her characters which I've heard have the "soft exterior but tough hearts and minds" attribute.

Noto Mamiko is THE psycho-loli b**** in my books.

Itou Shizuka is new, but warming very quickly.

SeijiSensei
2008-06-01, 16:45
Anyone who likes Tanaka Rie's work and hasn't watched Hataraki Man (http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/883.html) should do yourself a favor and watch it soon.

Kaoru Chujo
2008-06-05, 13:06
Tanaka Rie is outstanding in Hataraki Man, which is a unique and entertaining show with a serious underbelly.

I'm beginning to know the male seiyuu, and Koyasu Takehito comes at the top of my list. But Miyano Mamoru, Suwabe Junichi, and Miki Shinichirou are up there, too, maybe largely for the sheer sound of their voices. And so are Sugita Tomokazu and Nakamura Yuuichi, among newer seiyuu. Seki Tomokazu may be the most skilled and flexible of all, but I admire his work more than I enjoy it.

Among female seiyuu, I put Paku Romi, Kuwashima Houko, and Kobayashi Sanae at the top, as actresses. Hirano Aya is my sentimental favorite, and is outstanding when she is at her best (as Layla in NANA, Konata in Lucky Star, and Chiko in Daughter of Twenty-Faces).

Yukarin (Tamura Yukari) and Hocchan (Horie Yui) are good, but in a very otaku-ish style. I am lukewarm over Hocchan's work in Vampire Knight, which is a very good show and getting better as it goes on. Yukarin never disappoints, for me, however. Nor does Kawasumi Ayako. Sawashiro Miyuki is dependable and always interesting. And Koshimizu Ami has been hitting it out of the park recently, especially as Horo in Spice & Wolf, but also as Saya in Naishou no Tsubomi; and even in Myself;Yourself, which was otherwise quite disappointing.

I can't claim they are the best, but I now have a long list of up-and-coming seiyuu whom I eagerly watch for: Yahagi Sayuri is excellent again as the new antagonist in Shugo Chara. I think she has the richest voice in anime, when she lets it out. Takagaki Ayahi totally captivated me as Noe in True Tears, and is also outstanding in ep9 of DaCapoII SS, as Otome. Hanazawa Kana (Sora in Sketchbook, Shiika in Mushiuta) may have the most moe voice in anime. But she gets competition from Sasaki Nozomi, whose career unfortunately appears to have stalled after Bokura ga Ita and Lucky Star, perhaps while she actually gets some training.

My #1 future favorite, however, is Hayami Saori, who is Kou in Wagaya no Oinarisama, and was Momoka in Touka Gettan. She is excellent in both these roles, but her singing is her forte: she has beautiful tone, and great musicality. And she just turned 17. Watch for her in July, starring in the full-on fanservice fantasy Sekirei.

EDIT: Looking at other posts, I am reminded how many good seiyuu there are. I love Nabatame Hitomi and Itou Shizuka, and Noto Mamiko is great, too -- and not just for her moe voice. In fact, not just for her voice work: she wrote one of the best episodes of Touka Gettan last year. And how can I forget the sultry voice of the lady in my avatar, Yukana.

yezhanquan
2008-06-06, 06:53
Yukana... She needs more serious lines in Bleach. Isane always makes me want to laugh.

Miyano-san is a new star, but rising fast. Suwabe-san is dependable, while Miki-san has been running the circuit for some time. Anyway, Koyasu-san, Miki-san, Seki Tomokazu, and Hiro Yuki were what we call the Weiss quartet.

Kaioshin Sama
2008-06-07, 01:20
Time to raise this thread.

Personally a fan of gents instead of ladies in this department. Somehow, my manga tastes lead me to a certain few seiyu (when said manga gets the anime/drama CD treatment).

Yeah the male seiyuu barely get any credit these days I find. Gotta love Takehito Koyasu. I'd also like to mention Kappei Yamaguchi, Nobuyuki Hiyama, Sho Hayami, Daisuke Gouri, Shinichiro Miki, Kazuki Yao, Nobuo Tobita, Tohru Furuya, Norio "Dracula" Wakamoto, Jun Fukuyama (new addition), Mamoru Miyano (new addition), Hiroshi Kamiya (new addition) and Seki Tomokazu as male favourites as well.

*Looks above* Holy smokes, somebody else has actually heard of Weiss. :twitch:

yezhanquan
2008-06-07, 04:11
Yeah the male seiyuu barely get any credit these days I find. Gotta love Takehito Koyasu. I'd also like to mention Kappei Yamaguchi, Nobuyuki Hiyama, Sho Hayami, Daisuke Gouri, Shinichiro Miki, Kazuki Yao, Nobuo Tobita, Tohru Furuya, Norio "Dracula" Wakamoto, Jun Fukuyama (new addition), Mamoru Miyano (new addition), Hiroshi Kamiya (new addition) and Seki Tomokazu as male favourites as well.

*Looks above* Holy smokes, somebody else has actually heard of Weiss. :twitch:

One of the few teams of vet gentlemen VAs around. If you don't know of Weiss, you don't deserve to be noted as a seiyu fan.

Tobita Nobuo: My friend know him as the lead guy in Zeta Gundam, but I love him as Akabane in Getbackers.

Yamaguchi-san: Personally a stranger to him (Haven't heard him in Takahashi's works, among others). But, like Koyasu, can voice any character type convincingly.

Hiyama-san: Ikkaku cracked me up.

SeijiSensei
2008-06-08, 18:08
I've been watching the sudden burst of episodes from C1/Animanda for the second season of Saiunkoku Monogatari. Namikawa Daisuke (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=1289) has done an excellent job voicing the character To Eigetsu. Eigetsu grows considerably over the course of the show and Namikawa's performance captures that development. His voice has grown deeper and more decisive as Eigetsu has grown older and more experienced.

Namikawa is also the voice of Rock in Black Lagoon. I thought that was a good performance as well, but perhaps not so demanding a role as Eigetsu who matures enormously in a short period of time.

Deathkillz
2008-06-08, 18:12
Anyone who likes Tanaka Rie's work and hasn't watched Hataraki Man (http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/883.html) should do yourself a favor and watch it soon.
Do I hear T Rie being said! O.o

Right, that is going right onto my next to watch list! :D

And I have to say, Aoi Yuuki who is voicing Murasaki from Kurenai definitely deserves some credit especially since that she is new to this (or I think).

Gotank
2008-06-08, 18:39
Male:
Jun Fukuyama
Tomokazu Sugita

Female:
Yui Horie
Rie Kugimiya
Natsuko Kuwatani

yezhanquan
2008-06-08, 19:24
Male:
Jun Fukuyama
Tomokazu Sugita

Female:
Yui Horie
Rie Kugimiya
Natsuko Kuwatani

I'm surprised that someone actually have her as a fave. Personally, I heard her due to her popping out in the anime/drama CD adaptations of the manga I read, including:

1) Akamatsu Ken's works
2) GetBackers
3) Some of her works with Gonzo (Last Exile + Kiddy Grade)
4) Ouran (Yes, her character is in manga canon.)

Gotank
2008-06-08, 19:32
She's the voice of Suiseiseki, and brilliant at that... Although I'm not terribly fond of her other roles.

yezhanquan
2008-06-08, 21:04
It is difficult to stand out in the business, and Kuwatani-san doesn't have that special kind of voice. Well, she had a role in Suzumiya Haruhi. Still, I don't forsee a breakthrough for her. In terms of Hollywood ranking, definitely a good B-list seiyu.

qtipbrit
2008-06-08, 21:28
She's the voice of Suiseiseki, and brilliant at that... Although I'm not terribly fond of her other roles.
Ah! I knew I recognised her from somewhere, but I couldn't quite place it.
It's hard to remember less well-known seiyuu in a cast with Miyuki Sawashiro and Rie Tanaka. :(

yezhanquan
2008-06-08, 22:58
Ah! I knew I recognised her from somewhere, but I couldn't quite place it.
It's hard to remember less well-known seiyuu in a cast with Miyuki Sawashiro and Rie Tanaka. :(

Hence, my comment on her being a good B-list seiyu. Then again, I don't hear Sawashiro-san that often.

Seishi
2008-06-08, 23:43
Natsuko Kuwatani does Yue Ayase (Negima) to a tee, so to speak. I'd go so far as to say that and Yaya (Strawberry Panic) were better roles than Suiseiseki, but this might just be character bias talking.

yezhanquan
2008-06-09, 00:51
The Negima girls were good, generally. Too bad the story was butchered.

Deathkillz
2008-06-09, 04:54
It is difficult to stand out in the business, and Kuwatani-san doesn't have that special kind of voice. Well, she had a role in Suzumiya Haruhi. Still, I don't forsee a breakthrough for her. In terms of Hollywood ranking, definitely a good B-list seiyu.
I agree...she seems to be getting characters that generally reflects her abilities ie average imo.
I didn't even find Yue Ayase that outstanding for her to do.

Her best character for me was probably Maki from SnH :heh:

yezhanquan
2008-06-09, 05:13
I agree...she seems to be getting characters that generally reflects her abilities ie average imo.
I didn't even find Yue Ayase that outstanding for her to do.

Her best character for me was probably Maki from SnH :heh:

Not everyone is talented AND lucky enough to get a big break when he/she is just a rookie. Hirano Aya and Miyano Mamoru are very fortunate.

Irino Miyu: Yes, he voiced the lead male in an anime movie, a popular video game series and some tv anime. Still, somehow, I don't count him as a talent.

andromeda0201
2008-06-10, 02:00
Actually, I think Tanaka Rie's best acting was in Red Garden, she was just a supporting character but she left much more impact than all of the others, that particular scene in which she conveyed her emotions was just...astounding

Is Miyano Mamoru a rookie? I thought he had been playing a lot of minor roles before getting a main role in Wolf's Rain. In fact, Wolf's Rain was the first time I heard his voice but didn't exactly remember him, maybe the role wasn't that great or just the overall presentation wasn't spectacular, but it didn't leave much of an impression.
His Tamaki though, was perfect, it fitted him like a glove. But it was not until Light that really made me think he was excellent, that last episode......I'm sure many would agree there?

Then again, I'm not sure whether any other young voice actor who played that role would be equally propelled into stardom, just like Hirano Aya with Suzumiya Haruhi

qtipbrit
2008-06-10, 02:36
Is Miyano Mamoru a rookie? I thought he had been playing a lot of minor roles before getting a main role in Wolf's Rain. In fact, Wolf's Rain was the first time I heard his voice but didn't exactly remember him, maybe the role wasn't that great or just the overall presentation wasn't spectacular, but it didn't leave much of an impression.
I'm pretty sure Miyano's popularity skyrocketed after he had popular role after popular role: Tamaki, Raito-kun, Setsuna, and now Zero and Death the Kid.

I find Miyano very skilled in range and expression, but like Hirano, a bit overpublicised (though not nearly as much as Hirano). If he keeps up with his work, he would easily become a favourite of mine.

yezhanquan
2008-06-10, 06:15
I remember reading some time ago that Aya-chan underwent some heavy-duty stress due to her sudden popularity. (She's younger than me, for Gawd's sake!) So yeah, she may be getting a little stretched.

And yes, Miyano-san is still considered a rookie in terms of experience, but a rookie that's making himself felt in the business. He's talented, definitely (Whenever his Chaoji speaks in DGM, I have to go, "That is not Tamaki, that is not Tamaki...." (while in reality, it is!)

Oh, and he's really handsome in real life.

Seishi
2008-06-10, 15:16
I can't really imagine anyone as Tamaki other than Miyano now. I'm not really infatuated with his voice, but I'd like to see him do a lot more roles like that. I don't really care for any of his other roles, yet... D:

yezhanquan
2008-06-10, 19:07
Miyano-san's career path kinda reminds me of Midorikawa Hikaru's: the "prince", be they warm (They both did Tamaki, believe it or not.) or cold (in Gundam timelines, with Miyano-san as Setsuna and Midorikawa-san as Heero).

Kaioshin Sama
2008-06-10, 20:59
I'm pretty sure Miyano's popularity skyrocketed after he had popular role after popular role: Tamaki, Raito-kun, Setsuna, and now Zero and Death the Kid.

I find Miyano very skilled in range and expression, but like Hirano, a bit overpublicised (though not nearly as much as Hirano). If he keeps up with his work, he would easily become a favourite of mine.

He's getting there.

andromeda0201
2008-06-11, 13:04
Miyano-san's career path kinda reminds me of Midorikawa Hikaru's: the "prince", be they warm (They both did Tamaki, believe it or not.) or cold (in Gundam timelines, with Miyano-san as Setsuna and Midorikawa-san as Heero).

Thats an interesting comparison, considering Miyano has just recently replaced Midorikawa as Tamahome in the Fushigi Yuugi game.
Coincidence? I wonder...
As for publicity...yes Hirano and him do receive a lot of attention, but you can't deny they already have good and significant voices to begin with. Many seiyuus have had chances with lead roles but then they are still not popular enough because they don't sound very outstanding.

Considering most of the new animes have the newer batch of voice actors actresses in the lead roles, I'm wondering whether they intend to bring up a new breed of idol seiyuus....meaning good voices, good looks...even knowing how to sing. Seeing Jun Fukuyama dominate the spring season alone is a sign.
I used to see Akira Ishida, Souchiro Hoshi or Tomokazu Seki having at least 2 roles. Even Kappei Yamaguchi only pops out from time to time, I wouldn't have thought One Piece alone would keep him so busy.

yezhanquan
2008-06-11, 18:34
Thats an interesting comparison, considering Miyano has just recently replaced Midorikawa as Tamahome in the Fushigi Yuugi game.
Coincidence? I wonder...
As for publicity...yes Hirano and him do receive a lot of attention, but you can't deny they already have good and significant voices to begin with. Many seiyuus have had chances with lead roles but then they are still not popular enough because they don't sound very outstanding.

Considering most of the new animes have the newer batch of voice actors actresses in the lead roles, I'm wondering whether they intend to bring up a new breed of idol seiyuus....meaning good voices, good looks...even knowing how to sing. Seeing Jun Fukuyama dominate the spring season alone is a sign.
I used to see Akira Ishida, Souchiro Hoshi or Tomokazu Seki having at least 2 roles. Even Kappei Yamaguchi only pops out from time to time, I wouldn't have thought One Piece alone would keep him so busy.

It's payback time. Last few seasons were Miyano-san's playground (Tamaki, Light, among others).

Fukuyama-san has been around for quite a bit. So yeah, on one hand, it's nice to see him move up the ladder. The older fellows are the "trump cards" now, so to speak. Most likely, you'll see them voicing secondary characters along rookies who's doing the lead characters.

And yes, most of the older guys don't score in the looks department. Hoshi-san's quite short, for one. Ishida-san is ok, provided he remembers to smile. His stern face can make babies cry, I swear.

Oxtail
2008-06-11, 19:22
Kana Hanazawa -

Her voice is just so freaking adorable. And there's something of a slight lisp in it that makes it even more moe. I think her Kaminagi in ZegaPain is better than any of her others roles just because her super moe voice is matched to a character that is not typecast as overly moe. "Kyouuurrrrrr-chan!"

yezhanquan
2008-06-11, 19:28
Anyway, anyone knows of Horie Yui's blog post on a host from Mezamashi TV calling SMAP "old"? She removed it from her blog due to the flame wars.

Seishi
2008-06-11, 22:48
No idea, but go Hocchan.

yezhanquan
2008-06-11, 23:02
No idea, but go Hocchan.

Well, she's pro-SMAP. But, to help calm matters down, she took down her post.

dave1992
2008-06-12, 09:04
Haruka Tomatsu did have the talent, but not that experienced yet...

Siegel Clyne
2008-07-15, 22:29
New York Anime Festival (http://www.nyanimefest.com/)

Meet the Voice of Chii, Lacus Clyne, and Suigintou!

Voice Actress RIE TANAKA Comes to the NEW YORK ANIME FEST

MediumAtLarge.net: Rie Tanaka - Guest of Honor at NYAF! (http://www.mediumatlarge.net/2008/07/rie-tanaka-guest-of-honor-at-nyaf.html)

TUESDAY, JULY 15, 2008

Rie Tanaka - Guest of Honor at NYAF!

I'm very happy to announce Japanese voice actress Rie Tanaka will appear at New York Anime Festival 2008 as a Guest of Honor. Ms. Tanaka is most known around the globe for voicing Lacus Clyne in Gundam SEED, Chii in Chobits, and Suigintou in Rozen Maiden, but this is just the tip of her resume.

While Ms. Tanaka is most recognized for her roles in Gundam SEED, Chobits, and Rozen Maiden, she's contributed her voice to characters in over 50 animations, with some standouts including Simca in Air Gear, Yomi in Azumanga Daioh, Sei in Burst Angel, Hiroko Matsukata in Hataraki Man, Monica Lange in Macross Frontier, Tomoe Marguerite in My-Otome, Saki in Steel Angel Kurumi, and Minna-Dietlinde Wilcke in Strike Witches. In addition, Ms. Tanaka is also the voice behind songs featured in many of the series she's worked on including Azumanga Daioh, Burst Angel, Chobits, and Gundam SEED.

Beyond question-and-answer and autograph sessions, Ms. Tanaka will perform a selection of her songs at the start of NYAF's World Cosplay Summit Masquerade -- a costume contest with prizes including a trip to Japan.
I hope you'll join me in September in welcoming Rie Tanaka to NYC and the USA!

POSTED BY PETER TATARA AT 8:56 AM

The New York Anime Festival 2008 will be held from Friday, September 26, 2008 to Sunday, September 28, 2008 at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center (http://www.javitscenter.com/) in New York, NY, USA.

yezhanquan
2008-07-15, 22:37
.... NY. Damn.

Ottocycle
2008-07-16, 12:01
.... NY. Damn.
Well Tohru Furuya and Morita Masakazu have come down to Malaysia, so let's hope we're not that far away.

EternalNite
2008-07-16, 21:28
Singapore suxs. I haven seen any japanese star coming here.

babybro
2008-09-03, 04:13
Man, I just got all of Afro Samurai, and I was blown away by Samuel's VA on anime. Now true, he's a legendary actor so it's kinda unfair to compare him to people that just do anime voices, but still. I've only got through 2 episodes and I'm loving the series. But so far, I'm definitely looking forward towards Afro Samurai Season 2, just so I can hear Samuel's voice acting again lmao.

My favorite part so far was him and the rpg's lol.

Bathory Area
2008-09-03, 06:05
Noto Mamiko is my favorite,the incredibly talented Japanese seiyuu.

Her voice is sexy and unique.

Her famous acting roles-

Emma Ai - Jigoku Shiujo

Miyazaki Nodoka - Negama!?

Ichisose Kotomi - Clannad

Yakumo - School Rumble

Hecate - Shana

Asagami Fugino - Kara No Kyoukai

Asogi Rin - Mnemosyne

Anna - Monster

Shihou Matsuri - Sola

Amaha Masane - Witchblade

Yuka - Efen Lied

Aya Toujo - Ichigo 100%

Haruka - Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu

Angol Mois - Keroro

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/8531/hm3svol41047resizedyh1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Captain Yoruichi
2008-10-05, 00:24
My favorites, and the roles they've done that are my favorites. Includes both Japanese and English VAs.

Kari Wahlgren (Raine-Tales of Symphonia)
Crispin Freeman (Shannon Casull-Scrapped Princess)
Tara Strong (Bubbles-Powerpuff Girls)
Jennifer Hale (Sheena-Tales of Symphonia)
Johnny Yong Bosch (Guy-Tales of the Abyss)
Megan Hollingshead (Mai Valentine-YuGiOh)
Kirk Thornton (Jade-Tales of the Abyss)
Kotono Mitsuishi (Mireille-NOIR)
Vic Mignogna (Ed Elric - Fullmetal Alchemist)
Yuka Koyama (Helena Douglas - DoA)
Jen Taylor (Cortana-Halo)
Michelle Ruff (Yurika Dojima-Witch Hunter Robin)
Steve Staley (Jay-Tales of Legendia)

Seishi
2008-10-07, 00:27
Kirk Thornton

I've been watching the Planetes dub recently. This guy really brings Hachimaki to life. I dunno why I hadn't heard of him before...

Blah, I don't really feel like doing a VA list. Maybe later.

nixie
2008-11-14, 11:10

Seriously I don't remember much of Kiba either. I liked his Tamaki but didn't really bother to check him out, till he made that cute laugh in ep24 (min 21:32~21:38). I don't know how to put it but it just struck me at that instant that Mamoru is actually damn freakin' good! His portrayal of Light was astounding, he sounded so epic in it. What's more, he has the looks and sings very well. That's actually quite shocking to me tbh, seeing that guy seiyuus are rarely all that. :heh:

He can sing live! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCIR6hzoWFI)
Dubbing Tamaki and Light live (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8w9m5V-_R8) - it's so fun to watch this.

On a side note, I can't make up my mind about Fukuyama Jun. Sometimes he's awesome, sometimes he sounds very annoying. :twitch:

Shadow Kira01
2008-11-14, 14:31
My favorites...

JP
1) Kugimiya Rie (Shirayuki Mizore - Rosario to Vampire)
2) Momoi Halko (Seto San - Seto no Hanayome)
3) Koshimizu Ami (Kozuki Karen - Code Geass)
4) Nogami Yukana (Tear Grants - Tales of the Abyss)
5) Fukuyama Jun (Iba Itsuki - Rental Magica
6) Ohara Sayaka (Milly Ashford - Code Geass)
7) Kuwashima Houko (Sakagami Tomoyo - Clannad
8) Hirano Aya (Suzumiya Haruhi - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
9) Romi Paku (Hitsugaya Toshiro - Bleach)
10) Mizuki Nana (Shirakawa Hotaru - Memories Off 2nd)

NA

1) Tara Platt (Mitsuru Kirijo - Persona 3)
2) Liam O'Brien (Akihiko Sanada - Persona 3)
3) Yuri Lowenthal (Red Testament - Xenosaga Episode III)
4) Laura Bailey (Rise Kujikawa - Persona 4)
5) Bridget Hoffman (KOS-MOS - Xenosaga Episode III)
6) Lia Sargent (Shion Uzuki - Xenosaga Episode III)
7) Steve Staley (Fate Leingod - Star Ocean 3)
8) Michelle Ruff (Yukari Takeba - Persona 3)
9) Wendee Lee (Nel Zelpher - Star Ocean 3)
10) Johnny Yong Bosch (Lelouch Lamperouge - Code Geass)

Noe
2008-11-14, 15:33
The most flawless, beautiful seiyuu's voice I've ever heard is Nana Mizuki's.
The most absolutely stunning, gorgeous, and perfect character that she has voiced is Fate Testarossa. Everything of which I stated is indeed a fact.

yezhanquan
2008-11-14, 19:34
Mizuki Nana: Ok for me. Then again, I enjoyed the gents more than the ladies.

Julius Firefocht
2008-12-20, 01:45
Mamiko Noto and Tetsuya Kakihara getting married to each other?

http://nk-ds.org/2008/12/mamiko-kakihara/

In any case, we need more information. Would appreciate it if someone could translate the picture's text in the link.

Ottocycle
2008-12-20, 03:01
Hoax. I think. The picture appeared on Kakihara's blog before.

Proto
2008-12-20, 12:17
Bleh, I don't see as much love for Ueda Kana as there should be. What's wrong with the cutest Kansai-ben styled voice in the industry? :p

I'll throw Tamura Yukari and Yui Horie into the mix of my favorite VA's as well. Combine the three and you get Kashimashi, a series with mediocre plot and characters that was made good out of sheer VA quality :p

Ottocycle
2008-12-22, 10:22
Bleh, I don't see as much love for Ueda Kana as there should be. What's wrong with the cutest Kansai-ben styled voice in the industry? :p

There is, just not here. Though the spotlight on her isn't as big as it should be, since it's just Toshokan Sensou's DVD bonus episode. And count me in as a fan of hers. I sure hope the spotlight won't stay small though, with Marimite's 4th season incoming.

Tamura's got technical talent, but I guess she's just not infecting me with either of the two normal voices that we usually hear her use. Horie did though, thanks to Toradora. Her liveliness pervades the show.

kyon.haruhi.suzumiya
2008-12-23, 02:29
My favorites...

JP
1) Kugimiya Rie (Shirayuki Mizore - Rosario to Vampire)
2) Momoi Halko (Seto San - Seto no Hanayome)
3) Koshimizu Ami (Kozuki Karen - Code Geass)
4) Nogami Yukana (Tear Grants - Tales of the Abyss)
5) Fukuyama Jun (Iba Itsuki - Rental Magica
6) Ohara Sayaka (Milly Ashford - Code Geass)
7) Kuwashima Houko (Sakagami Tomoyo - Clannad
8) Hirano Aya (Suzumiya Haruhi - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
9) Romi Paku (Hitsugaya Toshiro - Bleach)
10) Mizuki Nana (Shirakawa Hotaru - Memories Off 2nd)

A very agreeable list. I have no idea on English VA since I watch subbed not dubbed.

Anyways, mine are:

[italics - not in above list]

1) Hirano Aya (Suzumiya Haruhi, Misaki Sumire)
2) Romi Paku (Shima Katsuki, Ed Elric)
3) Mizuki Nana (Toma Minami, Wrath)
4) Hitomi Nabatame (Kiri Kikyou, Margery Daw)
5) Kaori Nazuka (Nunnally Lamperouge, Elise Housen)
6) Minoru Shirashi (Taniguchi - wawawawasuremono)
7) Megumi Toyoguchi (Miriallia Haw, Takeuchi Mami)
8) Kuwashima Houko (Sakagami Tomoyo, Flay Allster)
9) Koshimizu Ami (Kozuki Kallen, Horo)
10) Minori Chihara (Yuki Nagato, Chiaki Minami)

Red for Canvas2
Brown for Shakugan no Shana
Orange for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Lime for Full Metal Alchemist
Sky Blue for Gudam SEED
Blue for Minami-ke
Purple for CLANNAD
Grey for Code Geass]

Quite a mixed bag, huh?

D-KLAC
2009-02-03, 15:03
well this is been on my thinking around last year that i keep notices some 2 or more anime characters have the same seiyu & english voice besides here some examples

Light Yagami & Setsuna F Seiei same voices of Mamoru Miyano (Japanese) & Brad Swaile (English)
Konata Izumi & Haruhi Suzumiya same voices of Aya Hirano (Japanese) & Wendee Lee (English)
Yuki Nagato & Minami Iwasaki same voices of Minori Chihara (Japanese) & Michelle Ruff (English)
Mikuru Asahina & Anya Alstreim same voices of Yūko Gotō (Japanese) & Stephanie Sheh (English)

really this is just like a something weird or interesting besides does it even wonder why does this happen cause in truth this is "WHAT"?

Fishfood1
2009-02-03, 15:09
for hirano and her english counterpart and minori and her english counterpart... it's prolly had to be done, consider how much Suzumiya Haruhi stuff was used in Lucky Star.

as for the other 2... id's say more coincidence :D

D-KLAC
2009-02-03, 15:18
well i just happen to find more of those "two or more anime chracters with same voices"

chi (chobits) & Ran (angel tales) Rie Tanaka (Japanese) & Michelle Ruff (English)
Kei Kusanagi (please teacher!) & Gino Weinberg (geass r2) Sōichirō Hoshi (Japanese) & Dave Wittenberg (English)

& i've found this on wiki said "American voice actress Bridget Hoffman has worked as the English voice for four of Kikuko's roles: Belldandy in the Ah! My Goddess! movie, Chitose Hibiya in Chobits, Rune venus in El Hazard and Mizuho Kazami in Onegai Teacher."

now really does this feel getting comparison on seiyu & english voice?

Mauru
2009-02-03, 19:44
I been into voice acting and seiyuus since a considerable time now, but something has began to bother me. The great fuzz people make about Aya Hirano. There is people saying "Oh, what a good seiyuu she is" or "Wow, she can change her voice" but let me state some facts and some opinions you should consider.

First of all Aya's "unique" voice. Let's admit it, she has a nasal voice and this particular feature can be found in almost all her characters she has voiced. From Haruhi slightly nasal voice to very nerdy, stuffy, nasal voice of Konata. (Not to mention the only voices she can make are from Haruhi to Konata, the rest of her voices is anything in between) Yet, I know the seiyuu who have pass the test of time by being popular seiyuus despise their years because they have a cute, beautiful, clear voices. With no nasal features, raspy ones or other "unique" voice characteristics. Popular seiyuus like Megumi Hashibara or Kikuko Inoue have a cute, beautiful voice and that helps them to succeed. Aya has beauty but not vocal beauty this would not help her.

Then if her voice is not really what can be considered beautiful (nasal voice) then why is she overpriced?

First, her role of Haruhi helped her, is obvious.
But despise her nasal voice how come she gets lead roles?
One thing that happens in the world of humans is that people judge other's by their appearance, Aya is beautiful, studies indicate that people treat attractive people better (even if they haven't done anything special) they have more job opportunities etc...

Yet can a beautiful face compensate for a "unique" voice? let's see a Rie Kugimiya...who began only 2 years earlier than Aya and she has more than twice the roles than Aya, why? she might not be the most beautiful, (no more cute than aya) but she has a beautiful, moe, cute voice.

Aya Hirano has never gone to seiyuu school. see link for reference http://hashihime.blogspot.com/2008/0...irano-aya.html

People are amazed on how she can change her voice, yet her Haruhi's and Konata's voices are very nasal but there is tons of seiyuus who can change their voices ALMOST COMPLETELY creating cute, beautiful voices, not nasal, strange voices (konata). See Ai orikasa who can make a girl's voice, boy's voice and her beautiful voice (she has a LOT of roles)

See her voice sample here in there you can see the way she change's her voice into other normal sounding voices:

http://pro-baobab.jp/ladies/orikasa_a/index.html

Saeko shimazu (personal favorite) too can change her voice wonderfully (and yet she can make more different voices than aya hirano and she isn't overpriced to the skies)

Saeko voices a little girl here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqMxQ8Y1SEU

Saeko voices Kodachi Kuno here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KizfAXyhdOI

Saeko voices another character with a different voice here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb06kOQuNIc

Chisa Yokoyama, Rie Kugimiya a lot of seiyuus can change their voice...so please...don't be astonished to see 2 different nasal voices...

Even hashihime a blogger of seiyuus (an aya fan too) writted later in one entry that Aya doesn't have a cute voice, after I posted comments and persuade her saying she has a nasal voice.

http://hashihime.blogspot.com/2008/0...f-playing.html

I am not saying to hate aya. I like her unique voice, I like unique voices in seiyuu like yuriko fuchizaki, but please don't overate her, she is like an average seiyuu with a "unique" voice...only her beauty and other factors make her be something more (but not her nasal voice)

-------------------------

Aside from this my favorite seiyuus are:

1.- Yuriko Fuchizaki
2.- Saeko Shimazu
3.- Chisa Yokoyama
4.- Etsuko Kozakura
5.- Kaya Matsutani
6.- Kumiko Nishihara
7.- Ai Orikasa

Snooker
2009-02-03, 19:48
Hirohashi Ryou is one of underrated VA.(Donn't anyone know "high school teacher" is her main carrier?).:D

darkfreya
2009-02-03, 20:57
i always liked megumi hayashibara for lina inverse and megumi ogata for yukito,eagle vision,kurama

ddwkc
2009-02-04, 07:05
Im a big fan of Megumi Hayashibara as well. I love her voice in Ranma 1/2, Evangelion, Slayers , and so on.

Love Yui Horie's voice as well.

For male seiyuus, I'll go with Akio Ohtsuka. His Solid Snake and Black Jack are so amazingly done.

Mushi
2009-02-04, 08:08
Lina Inverse should be in an anime hall of fame, or something. And I'll add to the Megumi Hayashibara love with Ai from Video Girl Ai and Pai from 3x3 Eyes. Both classics, IMHO.

mandarb916
2009-02-05, 22:15
Don't see what all the fuss is about with Hirano Aya...she does one voice and a variation on that one voice. Horrible personality to boot.

Female favorite
-Sawashiro Miyuki

Male favorite
tie between Inoue Kazuhiko and Ootsuka Houchu

AyumiDesu
2009-02-06, 01:07
Akira Kamiya is my favorite voice actor (famous for city hunter)
because he can easily switch his tone from comedy to serious to sexy erotic!

ezara
2009-02-06, 01:57
Akira Kamiya is my favorite voice actor (famous for city hunter)
because he can easily switch his tone from comedy to serious to sexy erotic!

LOL, I think you're the first person to only mention a GUY voice actor in this thread.:D

C.A.
2009-02-06, 05:53
LOL, I think you're the first person to only mention a GUY voice actor in this thread.:DBecause Akira Kamiya is a voice acting god. He yells stuff that mere mortals can't do:

GEEEETAAA BIIIIIMU!!
SHIN SHAAAAAINN SUUPAAAAKUU!!!
AAA TATATTATATATATATAT, AAA TATATATATTATATA-

I don't get the fuss people have with other people fussing over Hirano Aya. Do these people need to let others know that they failed to appreciate someone?

-Kh-
2009-02-06, 06:25
LOL, I think you're the first person to only mention a GUY voice actor in this thread.:D

Is that so??

Really beats me how nobody has mentioned then either Norio Wakamoto nor Jun Fukuyama.

Is poeple coming in here just thinking that only female characters (and thus their seiyuus) are the ones that matter?

C.A.
2009-02-06, 06:48
Is that so??

Really beats me how nobody has mentioned then either Norio Wakamoto nor Jun Fukuyama.

Is poeple coming in here just thinking that only female characters (and thus their seiyuus) are the ones that matter?In the name of SRW:

Norio Wakamoto: Lelouch yo! Doryuko to konjou da!!
Jun Fukuyama: Lelouch Vii Britannia ga meiji! CHOU JUU ZAAAAANN!!
Nobuyuki Hiyama: Hadaka zaru! GEMU GIRU GAN GO GUHOU! VIIIIIIITAAAA!!!!
Tomokazu Seki : Image... GOODDO! FUUIINGAAAAA!!! SEIKIHAA TEENNKYOOOKEEEEEENNN!!!
Katsuyuki Konishi: Daikaiten Madan!! GIGAAA!! DURRIIIRU!! BUUURREEEEEKUUUU!!!!!
Shinichiro Miki: Nerai utsu! TENJOU TENGA!! ICHIGEKI HISSATSU HOUUU!!!

EDIT: Each one is a double reference, if people are hardcore enough they should get all.

yezhanquan
2009-02-06, 07:15
I'm getting Konishi's TTGL part (Kamina). I don't watch enough mecha anime to get the rest. Also, as for the other references, too wide a range to pin down. (And of course Wakamoto and Fukuyama in CG.)

Besides, I have talked extensively about my male seiyuu preferences sometime ago.

C.A.
2009-02-06, 07:26
I'm getting Konishi's TTGL part (Kamina). I don't watch enough mecha anime to get the rest. Also, as for the other references, too wide a range to pin down. (And of course Wakamoto and Fukuyama in CG.)

Besides, I have talked extensively about my male seiyuu preferences sometime ago.In English its:

Norio Wakamoto: Lelouch yo! Hard work and determination!!
Jun Fukuyama: Lelouch Vii Britannia commands you! SUPER GRAVITY SLASH!!
Nobuyuki Hiyama: Naked monkeys! GEMU GIRU GAN GO GUHOU! VIIIIIIITAAAA!!!!
Tomokazu Seki : Image... GOD FINGER ROCK BREAKING HEAVEN SHOCKING FIST !!!
Katsuyuki Konishi: Big Spinning Magic Bullet!! GIGA DRILL BREAK!!!
Shinichiro Miki: Sniping Targets! HEAVEN AND EARTH ONE HIT SURE KILL CANNON!!!Norio Wakamoto: Emperor Charles from Code Geass and Coach Oota from Gunbuster
Jun Fukuyama: Lelouch from Code Geass and Toga from Gravion
Nobuyuki Hiyama: Viral from TTGL and Guy from Gaogaigar
Tomokazu Seki : Sousuke from FMP and Domon from G Gundam
Katsuyuki Konishi: Big Volfogg from Gaogaigar and Kamina from TTGL
Shinichiro Miki: Lockon Stratos from 00 Gundam and Ryusei Date from SRW

SaintessHeart
2009-02-06, 08:13
For me it would be

Rie Kugimiya (and her tsunlolis) : Louise Valliere, Taiga Aisaka, Nagi Sanzenin, Shana, and of course, Nena Trinity.

Megumi Nakajima : Ranka-chan!

Minori Chihara : Nagato Yuki (though she gets less than 20 lines per episode), Chiaki Minami (Bakayaro!), Minami Iwasaki (she hardly even speaks!), Coopa (from Druaga No Tou, the tsundere personality doesn't really fit her though)

Orikasa Fumiko : Ruki Makino (Digimon Tamers), Kaaya (Druaga No Tou, her "kya!" when imitating a cat is PURE WIN).

Yui Horie : Fatina (Nyaa!~ when attacked by Ropers....LOL), Minori Kushieda (Toradora), Siesta (Zero No Tsukaima!)

Hirano Aya : GodHaruhi, who else! It is her debut character anyway.

Given the number of bishounen and harem anime I watch, I don't have a particular liking for any male seiyuus. I know Jun Fukuyama (L.L, CG, Luca, M.F) has got a nice voice, but I haven't heard much from him.

Maybe it would be the late Hirotaka Suzuoki of Dextera in Kiddy Grade and most famously, Bright Noa of the UC Gundam series.

yezhanquan
2009-02-06, 08:14
Ah, yes. Shinichiro as Lockon. Then again, after hearing him as Bak in DGM along with Konishi as Komui, my friend and I joke that Johann and Lockon had that sort of rivalry as well.

Orikasa Fumiko: Seras Victoria and Lady. Rukia, too.

C.A.
2009-02-06, 08:24
Hirano Aya : GodHaruhi, who else! It is her debut character anyway.

Maybe it would be the late Hirotaka Suzuoki of Dextera in Kiddy Grade and most famously, Bright Noa of the UC Gundam series.Weird lol, you know Kiddy Grade, but you don't know Hirano Aya debuts as Lumiere? :p

And Hirotaka Suzuoki = Mega riushi hou ute! DAAAITAAN KUURAAASHUU!!!

All successful male seiyuus must take up a successful mecha lead, especially a super robot male lead. Once they've shown their hotbloodedness, their popularity will skyrocket.

-Kh-
2009-02-06, 08:27
In English its:

Norio Wakamoto: Lelouch yo! Hard work and determination!!
Jun Fukuyama: Lelouch Vii Britannia commands you! SUPER GRAVITY SLASH!!
Nobuyuki Hiyama: Naked monkeys! GEMU GIRU GAN GO GUHOU! VIIIIIIITAAAA!!!!
Tomokazu Seki : Image... GOD FINGER ROCK BREAKING HEAVEN SHOCKING FIST !!!
Katsuyuki Konishi: Big Spinning Magic Bullet!! GIGA DRILL BREAK!!!
Shinichiro Miki: Sniping Targets! HEAVEN AND EARTH ONE HIT SURE KILL CANNON!!!

Wow you really like your mecha animes there.

I fail at them, from all the mecha animes that I start watching, I only end up finishing around 25-30% of them, the rest are dropped after the first couple episodes.

C.A.
2009-02-06, 08:53
Wow you really like your mecha animes there.

I fail at them, from all the mecha animes that I start watching, I only end up finishing around 25-30% of them, the rest are dropped after the first couple episodes.Well, the mecha spirit is developed since childhood. Its hard for an adult to understand and take mecha anime seriously. But for those like me who grew up on mecha, we see mecha really differently from others.

Voice actors really have to put their burning souls into yelling a line, its because they do so that they sound awesome and inspiring.

Western VAs usually can't bring out the hotbloodedness like Japanese seiyuus because partly they don't have that sort of 'mecha soul' in them and also the English language is not appropriate to shouting stuff like that.

The mecha genre is as hard to understand as moe is to westerners. Most of the time westerners can only get either moe or mecha initially. After being an otaku for a really good amount of time can they start appreciating the other one, or never.

We Asians here, grow up being brought up by both mecha and moe.

yezhanquan
2009-02-06, 09:57
I personally would take silky-voiced gents over hot blood. The Saiyuki quartet are among my faves of all time. Especially Ishida Akira.

Nobita Tobuo's run as Akabane and the Major: Now, those two are on my all time bad-ass characters list.

C.A.
2009-02-06, 10:05
I personally would take silky-voiced gents over hot blood. The Saiyuki quartet are among my faves of all time. Especially Ishida Akira.

Nobita Tobuo's run as Akabane and the Major: Now, those two are on my all time bad-ass characters list.Well, you should know that hotbloodedness also comes in silent packages. Instead of letting out the anger my letting out a yell from the soul, it can also be displayed by holding the soul in and letting the anger flow through just actions.

People sometimes confuse hotbloodedness with angst, they're entirely different.

-Kh-
2009-02-06, 11:48
Well, the mecha spirit is developed since childhood. Its hard for an adult to understand and take mecha anime seriously.

I don't know if you are talking generally or including me in your comment, but mind you that some of my first animes before I even knew what anime were Mazinger Z, Macross, Voltron and some others, they were all the rage thanks to the very first Transformers in Latin America.

So many mecha animes were brought at the time, that finding something else than mechas to watch like He-Man, Thundercats, Marco or Heidi was harder :heh:

C.A.
2009-02-06, 12:06
Its a replied to you and general as well.

Mecha anime didn't stay in the west very well though. And the western VAs can't pull off mecha as well as Japanese seiyuu did, because of how the languages work and how they're expressed.

Proto
2009-02-06, 13:24
You'd be surprised at what some of the Latin American dubs can do :heh:

C.A.
2009-02-06, 13:27
Hmmm if we split the west into English and Latin, then I may actually think that mecha actually caught on in Latin America better than the English west lol

I've heard of quite a few Mazinger, Voltes V fans and such from watching Latin dubs when they're young, but I've never heard of English dub old school mecha fans.

SaintessHeart
2009-02-06, 14:28
Weird lol, you know Kiddy Grade, but you don't know Hirano Aya debuts as Lumiere? :p

And Hirotaka Suzuoki = Mega riushi hou ute! DAAAITAAN KUURAAASHUU!!!

All successful male seiyuus must take up a successful mecha lead, especially a super robot male lead. Once they've shown their hotbloodedness, their popularity will skyrocket.

Lol I forgot about Lumiere!

Lumiere doesn't really seem to rub off as much as Haruhi for me. Besides I am on-off on Kiddy grade because I am not as hardcore on anime at that time as I am now as I am still leaning towards computer games at that time.

Most mecha anime don't catch on for me, other than Gundam, Macross, and a certain few old super-robots aired on CH8 early in the morning. I would say Digimon rubbed off me more than mecha, but it apparently went on decline after Tamers (though I must admit, the Taiwanese VAs suck).

Unless you count Astroboy or/and Megaman as mecha, the abovementioned are the only mecha I watched during my younger days (Zeta and 08th MS Team stuck to my head). I can increase the count by chucking Doraemon in. :D

Ithekro
2009-02-06, 15:07
Some mecha works in the West...some doesn't.

It seems to be that Americans don't want shows about people piloting mecha..they want sentient robots.

Sister Princess
2009-02-06, 20:03
Is that so??

Is poeple coming in here just thinking that only female characters (and thus their seiyuus) are the ones that matter?

For some illogical reasons, yes.

yezhanquan
2009-02-06, 20:05
I have to say that Nakata Jouji's run as Alucard hit something in me. The way he voiced THAT vampire as he demolishes those who stand in his way convinced me that sometimes, you don't have to do too much to render a person ineffective. Either break his hope, or make him irrelevant.

sa547
2009-02-24, 11:21
Haruna Ikezawa nearly got assaulted by a stalker at night:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-02-24/seiyu-haruna-ikezawa-puts-restraining-order-on-stalker

I'd personally hand her over a heavily-reinforced kendo stick with a shock prod.

yezhanquan
2009-02-25, 07:44
Ouch. Bet her dad never had rabid fans as a writer.

Snooker
2009-02-25, 10:00
I predict "Tomatsu Haruka" would be great seiyuu in future. She is still young,cute and has unique voice.

sa547
2009-02-25, 10:38
Ouch. Bet her dad never had rabid fans as a writer.

Which leaves me wondering how they could handle nutters, considering that they hardly have the budget necessary for security detail (and in the one of the world's most expensive places, very costly).

So it boils down to some self-defense, cooperation with law-enforcement authorities, personal security measures (especially when using the Internet for blogging and email), and so on.

Given the wrath Ikezawa had on her personal page, I'd say she might as well be paving the way on how seiyuu should deal with such nuisances.

Snider
2009-02-28, 09:51
There are many anime titles having the same voice actors, yet their voices sometimes sound very different.
Is it made by actors themselves or they use filters to modify the voices?

One good example is Inoue Kikuko, she performs Belldandy (a soft calm voice) and also Miria from claymore and the voices couldn't be more different ^^
Also the voice actor for Teresa (female voice actor) uses to perform male roles... hehe

yezhanquan
2009-02-28, 10:06
Well, like actors, seiyu do try not to be pigeonholed into character stereotypes. In your examples, Inoue-san wasn't known as "Ane-san" or "elder sister" for nothing.

Pak Romi's boy voices, on the other hand, sound alike. Edward = Toushiro = That brat from Shamn King =... You get the idea.

Doraneko
2009-02-28, 13:36
There are many anime titles having the same voice actors, yet their voices sometimes sound very different.

Seeing is believing :p:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQzf1IccUNY

sa547
2009-02-28, 22:17

One good example is Inoue Kikuko, she performs Belldandy (a soft calm voice) and also Miria from claymore and the voices couldn't be more different ^^
Also the voice actor for Teresa (female voice actor) uses to perform male roles... hehe

Yes, voice actors really do change the way they speak depending on the type of characters they play, in the grand tradition of Mel Blanc.

yezhanquan
2009-02-28, 22:30
In Japan, I'll say that seiyu have niches. Wakamoto Norio/Nakata Jouji/the Ohtsukas for Badasses, Kugimiya Rie for Tsunderes/Yanderes, Noto Mamiko for "soft" characters... the list goes on.

Snider
2009-03-01, 09:31
what amazes me is how they keep that modified tone for the whole series o_o
at the end of the series their voices just ends up changing for good ^_^

I guess it requires years of experience ^^ They're simple great...
I wonder if the anime directors choose which tone of voice they want to their character (from the range the actors can perform)

Doraneko
2009-03-01, 12:01
From time to time, some seiyuu are required to do more than one voice on the run. They may also have more than one jobs in one season so they can't really change to one voice permanently. I can't find a good anime example in the meantime, but the below recording by Akira Ishida (male) doing 7 voices at once :twitch: should be amazing enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8w8XeZfyc0

Snider
2009-03-01, 13:13
Lol, do you think he gets paid 7 times more? XD

yezhanquan
2009-03-01, 21:32
Ishida Akira is one of the seiyu who I've had the pleasure of encountering while watching anime for which I have the manga. Heck, he's just about the only guy I know who voices women sometimes. His silky soft voice is rather recognisable.

sa547
2009-03-01, 22:26
^
No wonder some fangirls I know of melt like ice cream whenever they hear his voice, be it Gaara, Kaworu and scores of bishounen. :)

yezhanquan
2009-03-01, 22:31
His acting alongside Hoshi Soichiro has got to be one of the most recognisable pairs among the gents. From the Gundam CE universe, to Saiyuki and beyond, this pair gives Ho Yay a new level of meaning.

Nochgo
2009-03-01, 22:36
My all time favorite VA:

Wakamoto Norio. Simply the most awesome and badass voice in anime industry.

Favorite VAs:

Noto Mamiko (Yakumo - School Rumble, Kotomi - Clannad). She was in above section with Wakamoto about a year ago... I used to love her soft spoken voice, but recently her voice isn't what it used to be, or so it sounds to me T.T. Would gladly put her back up there if she returns to her former glory.

Fukuyama Jun (Lelouche - Code Geass). His high and almighty voice as Lelouche was really great. Like, hist every sentence is a taunt. Other good voices he's done are Watanuki from xxxHolic, Lawrence from Spice and Wolf, Itsuki from Rental Magoca

Kugimiya Rie (tsundere). Well, she isn't called the queen of tsundere for no reason. Her tsuntsun voice and deredere voice really fits her characters, and her trademark 'Urusai Urusai Urusai' never seems to get old for me. However, her voice sounds very similar if not the same in almost all of her tsundere characters, (Nagi, Shana, Louise, Taiga, etc) but it is still good.

Ueda Kana (kansai dialect) I really love her kansai dialect; its fun and refreshing to listen to. Examples include Sakuya in Hayate and Honami in Rental Magica. Her normal dialect is also very good, as in Rin in Fate and Yumi in Marimite.

Notable mentions:
Horie Yui (Eri - School Rumble, Ayu - Kanon, Naru - Love Hina)
Nakahara Mai (Nagisa - Clannad, Rena - Higurashi)
Miyano Mamoru (Light - Death Note, Setsuna - Gundam 00, Kaiba - Wolf's Rain)
Katou Emiri (Kagami - Lucky Star, Ran - Telepathy Shojou Ran)
Hirano Aya (Konata - Lucky Star, Haruhi - Suzumiya Haruhi)
Kawasumi Ayako (Saber - Fate, Kazumi - Shana)
Itou Miki (Sachiko - Marimite)

Hmm, I think I got them all... probably. Usually, they go into my list when I can start distinguishing their voice which would be because I like the voice and/or it's distinctive. Like, I start watching a new anime and I can tell, oh, that's 'insert name here'! As you can probably tell, I don't really watch anime according to which seiyuu's is in it, as some animes they are in it are rather horrible, which I don't watch even if my favorite seiyuu is in it. I'm not sure about Wakamoto, however.

yezhanquan
2009-03-01, 23:46
I think you meant to say KaWasumi Ayako.

For me to give up a show with a strong cast, the storyline must really suck. Unfortunately, the Samurai Deeper Kyo anime is one such show.

Nochgo
2009-03-03, 02:47
Ah, thanks for the correction ;)

blitz1/2
2009-04-22, 15:49
Haruka Tomatsu is rising for me.

Oh wait a moment...!!

HOLY SH*T! SHE HAS THE SAME BIRTHDAY AS ME?!

Copycatken
2009-04-22, 22:43

Wow, pretty cool to see Rie Kugimiya do those different voices one after the other. I was quite impressed after seeing that clip. It's kinda surprising to see that her normal voice is quite high-pitched, even though most of the characters she plays have deeper sounding voices. Actually, her natural voice sounds nothing like any role she's done.

RayRay
2009-05-04, 23:20
English
Male Voice Actors: 1. Kurama (Yu Yu Hakusho) 2. Kakashi (Naruto)
Female Voice Actors: 1. Grandma Sophie (Howl's Moving Castle 2. Diva (Blood +)

Japanese
Male Voice Actors: 1. Tamaki (Ouran High School Host Club)
Female Voice Actors: 1.Konata (Lucky Star)

Mistypearl
2009-07-19, 16:41
Hey, this might sound random, but I when I was decided what to order for Chinese the Comet brand "Spray Gel" commercial came on, and the person doing the voice over for it sounded really, really familiar, like from a dubbed show I had watched. I know from commentaries that some anime VA's do other literally, commercial work and I was wondering if anyone else recognized the voice, or had seen it that could give me some insight on this.

I would give a link to the commerical, but I can't find it anywhere online.

Thanks alot! I'm really curious if it's a VA :)

sa547
2009-07-20, 01:05
It is true that voice actors, apart from animated features, often have worked on advertising voice-overs, movie dubbing, and even train station announcements.

You maybe able to find the TV advertisement you mentioned on Youtube.

wjr
2009-07-21, 09:19
I seriously respect the voice actors for their hard work. The way they speak out the character's action is one major part of the making the show entertaining.My favourite voice actor due to circumstances is Akira Kogami - Actor(Ai Nonaka) Her voice changes in amazing ways haha.I cant stop to laugh when it comes to lucky channel.

FadedSunrise
2009-07-22, 00:52
I haven't watched much, so I don't have much basis to judge seiyuus over broad swatches of their careers. But I'll go with the endearing ones:

-Suzumura Kenichi: ZACK FAIR. His voice was so how like I imagined the character to be, that after watching the japanese Crisis Core cutscenes, I wanted to play the game. But then I'd have to have the english one, and not hear SuzuKen's voice. xD Sold me on one role ^^

-Sakurai Takahiro: <333 Cloud Strife. Due to Sakurai-san, :is a closet Cloud fangirl-only bishi I would admit to being a fangirl of: Also part of the reason I got into Code Geass, and did like him as Suzaku.

-Tidus!!: Or Morita Masakazu. Decided to put a character role for this one because I was more living the character's total liveliness, than thinking about the seiyuu's prowess. And plus, not as excited to explore his other roles yet.

And for versatility:
Female: Orikasa Fumiko. Rukia-->Shirley Fenette. When I first heard C.C. I thought it was Rukia's seiyuu doing it, but then...she's doing the doting schoolgirl?? Quite the range.
Male: Morikawa Toshiyuki. Sephiroth-->Ishin Kurosaki. Top 20 or so villains of all time---Ichigo's hyperactive father. Again, COMPLETELY unrecognizable. Missed the chance to go to his panel at AX T_T

yezhanquan
2009-07-22, 07:10
For Nonaka Ai, she did Akira in the "side" materials. The anime and PS2 voice is not hers.

SuzuKen and Sakurai are good buddies. If you can, check out their performance as R-16.

darkchibi07
2009-07-26, 08:39
I'm rather surprised this hasn't been posted here yet. :rolleyes:

http://www.tonightshowwithconanobrien.com/video/clips/conan-and-andy-do-manga-072409/1139088/

MAAAAANGAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! :heh:

oompa loompa
2009-07-26, 09:10
It was posted in the "A Laugh a Day" thread a little while earlier if I'm not mistaken..

lubczyk
2009-07-26, 10:15

http://www.tonightshowwithconanobrien.com/video/clips/conan-and-andy-do-manga-072409/1139088/

MAAAAANGAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! :heh:

So that's the new Ghost in the Shell dub!!!! Have to say, it sounds way more natural and far more faithful to the original Japanese than the original English dub.

Dilla
2009-07-26, 17:08

MAAAAANGAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! :heh:I'm not gonna lie, if I heard that Conan was going to do some dubs in comedy anime, I wouldn't complain about it.:heh:

Echoes
2009-07-27, 05:50
That was charming. Though I think everyone who was unfamiliar with anime before this, were left thinking "Damn, what a perverted bunch!" :heh:

Larthak
2009-07-27, 06:32
My all time favorite VA:

Wakamoto Norio. Simply the most awesome and badass voice in anime industry.I'd worship Wakamoto-san as a God if he wanted. :D His voice simply outshines all the other VAs wherever he lends it.

Considering the female VAs, I'd go with Kugimiya Rie the tsundere queen, Hayashibara Megumi, as I really enjoyed Ranma ½ and Slayers series and of course, Hirano Aya.

I'd say they have some of the most unique voices I heard.

GaijinOtaku
2009-07-27, 20:41
These are my faves, in no particular order:

Ogata Megumi
Furukawa Toshio
Kanemaru Junichi
Tanaka Mayumi
Nakahara Mai

Siegel Clyne
2009-08-04, 01:21
The play Saboten to Bantorain (Cactus and Buntline), (http://www.ne.jp/asahi/de/do/sab2.html) sponsored by Kodomo no Shiro and Nelke Planning, is slated to run at the Aoyama Amphitheater at Aoyama Gakuin University in Tokyo, Japan from Friday, October 30, 2009 to Sunday, November 8, 2009.

Saboten to Buntline (http://www.ne.jp/asahi/de/do/cs.html) stars actor Kaname Jun (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Kaname+Jun) (top center), voice actress Tanaka Rie (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=697) (top left, in cowgirl gear), and comedian Konno Hiroki (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Konno+Hiroki+%22King+of+Comedy%22) (top right), one half of the manzai duo King of Comedy.

With the exception of Cowgirl Tanaka, the rest of the cast consists of men who are mostly veteran actors in theater, television, and film.

Seiyuu Tanaka Rie's previous experience on the stage was in the wedding comedy Kotobuki! back in 2005. In it she played Fujishima Sakiko, 26-year-old housewife, mother of two children, and best friend of protagonist and bride-to-be Matano Miki, played by actress Isshiki Sae. (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Isshiki+Sae)

Kotobuki! is available as a 2-disc DVD set from KittyFILM (Catalog Number: RFD-1056 (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=%2BRFD-1056)) from Neowing/CD Japan, (http://www.neowing.co.jp/i/e/detailview.html?KEY=RFD-1056) Amazon Japan, (http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0009S8GX6) and other retailers.

For more info, see my post on Anime News Network at the beginning of this year, Seiyuu Supplement Income with Non-Anime Voice Work. (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=103368&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30#706833)

To the best of my knowledge, Tanaka Rie has had no prior experience as a stage actress before tackling Kotobuki! It appears unusual for one to go from voice acting to theatrical acting. It seems to be much more common the other way around, going from theatrical acting to voice acting.

One wonders how much Tanaka Rie's work as a stage actress cuts into her work as a voice actress.

Shadow Kira01
2009-08-04, 02:41
I almost forgot about this thread..

Sawashiro Miyuki seems to be a pretty good seiyuu with multiple roles in animes and RPGs. Unfortunately, many of which seems to be tsundere roles with the exception of Canaan. She voices the protagonist, that's cool!!^^

Seishi
2009-08-11, 03:13
Miyuki Sawashiro is very quickly becoming my favourite voice actor. I loved her as Shinku, and I love her dozens of roles later.

Shadow_Kira: Kurenai was a fantastic jump for her...

Kaoru Chujo
2009-08-12, 01:44
Miyuki Sawashiro is very quickly becoming my favourite voice actor. I loved her as Shinku, and I love her dozens of roles later....She's one of my favorites, too. I did a longish blog post about her (http://hashihime.blogspot.com/2008/09/seiyuu-sawashiro-miyuki-one-of-kind.html) last fall. Right now, I'm admiring her work as Cal in Requiem for the Phantom and in episode six (the most recent episode) of Bakemonogatari.

By the way, thanks to Siegel Clyne for reminding about this thread by linking to his Tanaka Rie post from another place.

I think there are two absolutely great performances going on right now: Saitou Chiwa (http://hashihime.blogspot.com/2009/08/senjougahara-fascination-saitou-chiwa.html) as Senjougahara in Bakemonogatari, and Koshimizu Ami (http://hashihime.blogspot.com/2009/07/memorable-seiyuu-performance-koshimizu.html) as Horo in Spice & Wolf. The names link to my blog posts about them.

yezhanquan
2009-08-12, 23:41
The play Saboten to Bantorain (Cactus and Buntline), (http://www.ne.jp/asahi/de/do/sab2.html) sponsored by Kodomo no Shiro and Nelke Planning, is slated to run at the Aoyama Amphitheater at Aoyama Gakuin University in Tokyo, Japan from Friday, October 30, 2009 to Sunday, November 8, 2009.

Saboten to Buntline (http://www.ne.jp/asahi/de/do/cs.html) stars actor Kaname Jun (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Kaname+Jun) (top center), voice actress Tanaka Rie (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=697) (top left, in cowgirl gear), and comedian Konno Hiroki (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Konno+Hiroki+%22King+of+Comedy%22) (top right), one half of the manzai duo King of Comedy.

With the exception of Cowgirl Tanaka, the rest of the cast consists of men who are mostly veteran actors in theater, television, and film.

Seiyuu Tanaka Rie's previous experience on the stage was in the wedding comedy Kotobuki! back in 2005. In it she played Fujishima Sakiko, 26-year-old housewife, mother of two children, and best friend of protagonist and bride-to-be Matano Miki, played by actress Isshiki Sae. (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Isshiki+Sae)

Kotobuki! is available as a 2-disc DVD set from KittyFILM (Catalog Number: RFD-1056 (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=%2BRFD-1056)) from Neowing/CD Japan, (http://www.neowing.co.jp/i/e/detailview.html?KEY=RFD-1056) Amazon Japan, (http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0009S8GX6) and other retailers.

For more info, see my post on Anime News Network at the beginning of this year, Seiyuu Supplement Income with Non-Anime Voice Work. (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=103368&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30#706833)

To the best of my knowledge, Tanaka Rie has had no prior experience as a stage actress before tackling Kotobuki! It appears unusual for one to go from voice acting to theatrical acting. It seems to be much more common the other way around, going from theatrical acting to voice acting.

One wonders how much Tanaka Rie's work as a stage actress cuts into her work as a voice actress.

Personally, I say,"Gogogo!" Some stage work should help with her voice work.

Megidolaon
2009-08-14, 17:38
I actually recently made a list of my favorites because I was bored to death:
Akira Ishiida (Berserk: Judeau)
Ami Koshimizu (Code Geass: Kallen)
Ayako Kawasumi (Outlaw Star: Melfina)
Daisuke Sakaguchi (Clannad: Sunohara)
Erino Hazuki (Aria: Akari)
Fumiko Orikasa (Bleach: Rukia)
Hikaru Midorikawa (Scryed: Ryuhou)
Hiroki Touchi (hack//roots: Ovan)
Hiroyuki Yoshino (Kekkaishi: Yoshimori)
Houko Kuwashima (Clannad: Tomoyo)
Joji Nakata (Hellsing: Alucard)
Kana Hanazawa (Zegapain: Ryoko)
Kana Ueda (F/S N: Rin)
Kaori Nazuka (Hack//Sign: Subaru)
Kazuya Nakai (Samurai Champloo: Mugen)
Kenichi Suzumura (D. Gray Man: Lavi)
Maaya Sakamoto (Escaflowne: Hitomi)
Mai Nakahara (Higurashi: Rena)
Masaya Onosaka (Trigun: Vash)
Megumi Toyoguchi (Hack//Sign: Mimiru)
Mitsuaki Madono (Eternal Sonata: Chopin)
Miyuki Sawashiro (Natsume Yuujinchou: Jun)
Nana Mizuki (Nanoha: Fate)
Nobutoshi Kanna (Berserk: Gatts)
Nobuyuki Hiyama (YYH: Hiei)
Norio Wakamoto (Code Geass: Charlulu)
Rie Kugimiya (FMA: Alphonse)
Romi Paku (FMA: Ed)
Ryou Hirohashi (Haibane Renmei: Rakka)
Shinichirou Miki (Hack//Sign: Crim)
Shintaro Asanuma (Zegapain: Kyo)
Shizuka Itou (D. Gray Man: Lenalee)
Sho Hayami (Bleach: Aizen)
Shoutaro Morikubo (Get Backers: Ginji)
Soichi Hoshi (Xenosaga: Chaos)
Takaya Kuroda (Viper's Creed: Saiki)
Takayuki Sugo (Heat Guy J: J)
Takehiko Inoue (Naruto: Kakashi)
Takehito Koyasu (G Wing: Zechs)
Tohru Furuya (Saint Seiya TV: Seiyal)
Tohru Okawa (FMA: Mustang)
Tomokazu Seki (FMP: Sousuke)
Tomoko Kawakami (Aria: Athena)
Toshihiko Seki (Naruto: Iruka)
Toshiyuki Morikawa (Berserk: Griffith)
Unshou Ishizuka (Cowboy Bebop: Jet Black)
Yui Horie (Persona 4: Chie)
Yukari Tamura (Nanoha: Nanoha)

Tofu Prod
2009-08-17, 03:06
Anime Voice actors have gotten soooo much better!!! Remember the 80s and 90s anyone!??! LOL!! Peter Cullen was a one man army! LOL!!

Beldarius
2009-08-22, 18:19
Hm. Oh lol. It seems I'll be making my favorite seiyuu list again. XD

First three are in order, the rest are in no particular order.

1. Takeshi Kusao, Tomokazu Seki, Ai Orikasa
2. Daisuke Hirakawa, Akira Ishida, Kenji Hamada, Takashi Kondo
3. Sho Hayami, Toshihiko Seki, Akio Suyama, Sayaka Ohara

Male seiyuu
Nobutoshi Canna
Takehito Koyasu
Shinichiro Miki
Tomokazu Sugita
Kenichi Suzumura
Hikaru Midorikawa (I love his Shinjyo from Future GPX Cyber Formula. <3)
Ryotaro Okiayu
Fumihiko Tachiki
Kazuhiko Inoue
Naozumi Takahashi
Shigeru Nakahara
Nobuyuki Hiyama
Kazuya Nakai
Keiji Fujiwara
Hiroki Touchi
Hideyuki Tanaka
Ryouichi Tanaka
Katsuji Mori
Kouji Totani
Hirotaka Suzuoki
Akira Kamiya
Hideyuki Hori
Kaneto Shiozawa
Bin Shimada
Ikuya Sawaki
Michihiro Ikemizu
Naoki Tatsuta (EDELHI BOOTSVORZ FTW, <3~)
Yuu Mizushima
Yuusaku Yara
Nozomu Sasaki
Juurouta Kosugi
Daisuke Ono
Kenichi Ono
Kenyuu Horiuchi
Yasunori Matsumoto
Toshiyuki Morikawa
Hiroshi Kamiya
Takahiro Sakurai
Hideo Ishikawa
Hiroki Takahashi
Toru Ohkawa
Taiten Kusunoki
Junichi Suwabe
Takaya Kuroda
Katsuyuki Konishi
Kouichi Toochika
Susumu Chiba
Kousuke Toriumi
Masaya Onosaka
Tarusuke Shingaki
Hiroyuki Yoshino
Atsushi Kisaichi
Hiro Shimono
Hirofumi Nojima
Jun Fukuyama
Kentarou Itou
Souichiro Hoshi
Daisuke Kishio
Daisuke Namikawa
Toshiyuki Kusuda
Eiji Moriyama
Hozumi Goda
Naru Kawamoto
Shoutaro Morikubo
Yuuichi Nakamura
Yuuki Masuda
Masaya Takatsuka (gah. Jerome from Ginga Densetsu Weed. If I was a dog, I'd be all over him. XD)
Hiroaki Hirata
Mitsuru Miyamoto
Ken Narita
Jin Horikawa
Go Inoue
Hiroki Yasumoto
Kishou Taniyama
Noriaki Sugiyama
Akira Sasanuma
Junichi Kanemaru
Kouji Yusa
Ryusei Nakao
Kouki Miyata
Mitsuaki Madono
Wataru Hatano
Tatsuhisa Suzuki
Hiroshi Takemura
Satoshi Hino
Mamoru Miyano
KENN
Kazuki Yao

Female seiyuu
Yumi Touma
Yuu Kobayashi
Yuu Asakawa
Yui Horie
Sachiko Nagai
Aya Hisakawa
Megumi Ogata
Megumi Hayshibara
Mitsuki Saiga
Chisa Yokoyama
Mayumi Tanaka
Urara Takano
Fumiko Orikasa
Yuriko Fuchizaki
Satsuki Yukino
Sanae Kobayashi
Saeko Chiba
Nana Mizuki
Michiko Neya
Romi Paku
Yuki Masuda
Houko Kuwashima
Junko Minagawa
Hitomi Nabatame
Ayako Kawasumi
Nanaho Katsuragi
Minami Takayama

Vexx
2009-08-24, 14:41
Ouch.... can we do less "listing" and more *discussion*? If this degenerates into a list thread, they'll likely lock it or do a mass post deletion.

yezhanquan
2009-08-25, 09:16
Most viewers are not really interested in the ladies and gents behind the voices.

Vexx
2009-08-25, 22:22
Most viewers are not really interested in the ladies and gents behind the voices.
Of course, they're also not interested in the studios, the directors, etc. And of course it means they're baffled when things go well or badly :)

I've always been fond of a certain group of Western voice actors. Japan or whereever, voice actors need all the appreciation they can get because they don't really get paid well -- having people love their work has to be the "take home".

yezhanquan
2009-08-25, 22:28
Aye. Studio-wise, I don't think it's as crucial as the team involved with the project.

Also, seiyu gossip isn't making its way here.

npcomplete
2009-09-05, 05:20
hmm... there's only one 'class' of char/VA combo that would qualify for me: females voicing males (who are not traps, transgender, etc)

I tend to just shrug it off and go with the flow, but it's always a bit jarring at first because I can tell, every single time.

klare
2009-09-05, 05:27
i remember the first time i watched Dragonball in Japanese, i was surprised by the voice of the adult Goku, after that i have never watch DB again :)

i cant think of other bad ones, only not so suitable ones

oh i am watching Mai HiME now, the voice of Mai's brother does not match him too

Envy
2009-09-05, 10:56
All I know is that my favorite voice actress is Mayumi Tanaka. She voices Luffy of One Piece, and she has him down perfectly. Plus she is really good with emotion.

Marcus H.
2009-09-06, 20:45
Kugimiya Rie's voice acting in Toradora! (especially in drama scenes) is definitely difficult to pull off. I dunno if she actually cries to get the emotion right or she's so pro that she doesn't have to. In any case, she's among the best IMO.

yezhanquan
2009-09-06, 22:17
Well, you might have to ask the recording studio staff to confirm that.

Ottocycle
2009-09-07, 09:51
Also, seiyu gossip isn't making its way here.
To have people interested in the gossip, don't we need interest in the people as well? To most people the seiyuu are just a bunch of no names.

For me, I just throw around random sensational clips and see if I can pick up my friends' interest. But most of the time it stops at the Ohtani Ikue level though. Who doesn't know Pikachu? :heh:

fukarming
2009-09-08, 01:03
I have a question about Seiyuu in general: What is their largest source of income?

I asked because I saw plenty of Seiyuu starting to voice act as no name character, then surge to stardom and after that they kinda disappear from the scene or doing minor characters only. If VA for anime is their only form of income, how can they sustain themselves?

e.g.
Hayashibara Megumi is the goddess in the 90s, but nowadays her only regular job is Haibara Ai in Detective Conan

Toru Furuya
He is the god in the 80s (He did Mamoru (Sailor Moon), Amuro Ray (gundam), Pegasus (Saint Seiya) and many other household names in the 90s), but we barely see him around in the 90s except he reprise in old roles.

So where are they when they are not voice acting for anime?

SeijiSensei
2009-09-08, 07:41
I'm totally guessing here, but I'd imagine having children and raising families eventually becomes more important than voice acting, particularly among the women. Sometimes while looking at the resumes for older female seiyuu on AnimeNewsNetwork, I'll notice a decline in the number of performances in their late twenties or thirties. Some of them return to the profession again when they're older, others presumably never return. It's probably harder these days for a female voice actor in her forties to find work with the greater emphasis on young "idol seiyuu" that seems to be more common in the contemporary anime world.

yezhanquan
2009-09-08, 09:35
Seiji nailed it partially. I would add that talented female seiyu are a dime a dozen, and the competition is stiff.

VAs in general are rather poorly paid, unless you are so darn good that you become a freelancer. As far as I know, Hiro Yuuki is now a freelancer, along with Horie Yui. As for Koyasu, he's authoring the Weiss Kruez manga along the way. So, yeah.

Ohtani Ikue? Maybe, more people know her as Tony Tony Chopper than Pikachu.

Pocari_Sweat
2009-09-08, 09:53
My favourite voice actors are

Female: Aya Hirano

Haruhi in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Izumi Konata in Lucky Star
Yuki Morikawa in White Album

Male: Jun Fukuyama

Lelouch in Code Geass
Lawrence Craft in Spice and Wolf
Kimihiro Watanuki in xxxHolic

Lemons
2009-09-08, 18:22
Troy Baker has such a great vocal range (Yuri Lowell, Abel Nightroad) Chris Patton was huge win on Funi's part on bringing him back for Graham in Baccano!)

Maaya Sakamoto, and Mamoru Miyano both have wonderful voices. Miyano - Soul Eater, Maaya - Kara no Kyoukai.

D-KLAC
2009-09-10, 01:26
well i don't know if anyone that lately i'm feeling this vibe that young english dubber sounding especially this generation/decade batch (25yrs & under) got admit there some good dub.

might be a late push of something really give fact there been lots of young japanese voice seiyu matter of time till english to step up.

yet there been some dub roster with young voices like canada dub roster aka ocean for example chantal strand really one of those rare voices i've heard inmy life fact she 21 the way she sound is like something that in unique rare voice that is just "interest" personal.

even irony when she dub lacus in 04 both her & lacus were 16 in gs then again on 06 for gsd yet both were 18.

also there texas dub roster they got whole bunch young females voices.

besides really this generation/decade of dubber really rise of young generation.

Ottocycle
2009-09-12, 10:51
It's probably harder these days for a female voice actor in her forties to find work with the greater emphasis on young "idol seiyuu" that seems to be more common in the contemporary anime world.
Well, that is a factor along with the higher remuneration the older seiyuu command with their seniority. Financial realities strike home with all the tight budgets there.

Noe
2009-09-12, 10:58
Nana Mizuki - I love her singing ability, voice acting skills, and overall tone of voice in general. The largest accomplishment/feat I see from her is the fact that she voices Fate Testarossa. :)
Yukari Tamura - she also has a nice voice.
Yui Makino - liked her roles as Sakura from Tsubasa Chronicles and Misaki from NHK!.

Sleep_ping
2009-09-12, 11:11
Males:
Jun Fukuyama: Probably the most flexible voice actor today, try comparing Lelouch's in code geass to Onion knight's in final fantasy: dissidia (I couldnt believe it myself)
Yamaguchi Kappei: Sogeking just cracks me up lol, and he did a rather good job voicing L
Hiroshi Kamiya:Nice voice that he has, and really deserves the male seiyu award

Females:
Rie Kugimiya: Queen of tsundere, not an easy type of character to voice, though it seems stereotypical nowadays
Aya Hirano: From playful tone to serious tone, has great range, and control over it. Its not easy to say something in Konata's voice and out of a sudden change to Haruhi's (as seen in lucky star)
Yukari Tamura: Again, great range as well, very mature voice and .... Nippa!

Mr.Amazing
2009-09-12, 20:53
Wendee Lee

Crispen Freeman

Mark Gatha

I don't know the names of many japanese va's so I'll refrain from mentioning them.

Wendee Lee and Crispen Freeman are great, but my favorite american voice actor has to be Steve Blum! Spike, Roger, Zabuza and soooo many others! Justin Cook is also pretty great and would be my choice for honorable mention. I also don't know the Japanese seiyu, but whoever does Rukia from bleach has a beautiful voice.

yezhanquan
2009-09-13, 07:24
That would be Orikasa Fumiko.

D-KLAC
2009-09-15, 23:47
well i've just finish watching romeo x juliet dub really by far look like dub of the year mention a very great dub.

from Chris Burnett ok dub as romeo to brina palencia's juliet very well ok (yet admit she having a big push this year as new voice of rei soon to be holo to juliet really big push year).

Aaerul
2009-09-16, 21:54
can someone explain to me why 2ch hates Megumi Nakajima (Ranka Lee seiyuu)? i cant read japanese i cant decipher why.

I liked Ranka Lee's voice, she added a lot of character to what was just another nympho loli-type chara that could have been altogether forgettable, not to mention the fantastic music.

Apparently almost every post on 2ch related to her, she is rendered in some negative light.

Oppius
2009-09-16, 22:26
I think even Ranka herself get huge hatedom for some unknown reasons. It just the same as "why (most) non-Japanese anime fans hate Ali Project" and "why 4chan hate Jack Thompson" cases.

Zeroryoko1974
2009-09-16, 22:48
She got a little full of herself after her roll as Ranka, and there was some kind of live thing on 2ch and her, and the mods deleted a bunch of critisicms or something, and that made them dislike her more

monir
2009-09-16, 23:01
Considering the responses in the Macross F forum, I would say this Macross F debutante receives most of her hate due to the fact she voiced Ranka Lee. She tried to stop two species from mutual destruction by singing. Her singing caused thousands of people to perish before the realization dawned on Ranka Lee that something was amiss. The alternate solution required defect to mankind's enemy. If fans had reservation for disliking her before, such reservation evaporated and hate was in full bloom when a few colony ships exploded with all its tens of thousands of colonists. Ranka, you bi**... bad girl. :heh: In the end she succeeded at accomplishing the greatest of fits by uniting these two species as she sang "Ai mo". As far as the fans were concerned, the damage was already done. She became one of the most hated figure in anime. I would imagine Nakajima was merely sharing the hate just because she was the voice behind Ranka Lee. :heh:

Also, the reason I don't like Ali Project is because it sounds like the same melody with same symphony with different words for lyrics. Not to mention most of their songs come across as noise to the ears of a foreign listener. Their popularity is unfathomable to me.

FateAnomaly
2009-09-16, 23:11
What? Just because she voiced an unpopular character..... Unbelievable...

yezhanquan
2009-09-16, 23:17
You'll be surprised. Hirano Aya got a lot of flak from voicing popular characters, although in her case, there's also the "big-headed" complex.

Aaerul
2009-09-16, 23:24
She got a little full of herself after her roll as Ranka,

Hmmm,... interesting. Looking at her blog now, http://stblog.stardust-web.net/nakajimamegumi/
Although I've never followed one, I suppose it is some kind of hybrid promotion/suspense-of-believe-personal blog. Shes not going to talk about her experience with 2ch there...

I wish I could know more, but Google Translate doesn't hack it for 2ch. It turns out unreadable to me.

http://changi.2ch.net/voice/

This is the only post related to her anyway (did a name search in the seiyuu board)
http://changi.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/voice/1250515022/l50

FateAnomaly
2009-09-16, 23:26
In Hirano Aya case i can sort of understand. Those who hate her are usually fans of other seiyuus. So it is more of a competition thing. But to hate a seiyuu because she voice a character is too much.

yezhanquan
2009-09-16, 23:28
In Hirano Aya case i can sort of understand. Those who hate her are usually fans of other seiyuus. So it is more of a competition thing. But to hate a seiyuu because she voice a character is too much.

I believe this little fact also plays a major role in Nakajima's case. As for me, I'll say this: "Come back to me after 5 years. If you're still around, then I might be interested in you."

I'm really not into idol seiyu who only has her breakout role, and little or no followup.

raile
2009-09-17, 03:15
Mizuki Nana and Yuuichi Nakamura are my fave seiyuus. I have developed a keen Nakamura-radar when watching animes. >8D

daeyeth
2009-09-17, 04:42
Tomokazu SUGITA who is Kyon in Haruhi is absolutely perfect for that character, he's got Kyon's indifferent indigination down to a T. The voice acting part that really amazed me was...well, spoiler if you haven't season Haruhi Season 1 (it's 4 years old man, cmon!)...when Asakura attacked Kyon with the knife.

The music + his voice acting blew my mind how good it was, I watched that scene over and over again. His reaction sounded so realistic, like exactly how someone would really sound in real life if that was happening to them. I don't understand japanese of course, but you could hear it in his tone that he was like, "no way...this can't seriously be happening. this isn't a movie man! she has to be playing a joke!"

Stealther
2009-09-17, 10:26
Paku Romi - http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=566

Kawasumi Ayako - http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=12

Horie Yui - http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=61

Mizuki Nana - http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=18

Katou Nanae - http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=402

Inoue Marina - http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=11

Sugita Tomokazu - http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=45

Sasaki Nozomi - http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=1992

musume_no_hoshi
2009-09-17, 14:35
I never knew Negumi Nakajima was disliked by 2ch, I do know Hirano Aya is pretty much hated (I personally don't like her either, but that's for another day). Is it because they had a SUDDEN surge of popularity of voicing ONE character?

The most commonly agreed (female) seiyuus people like Tamura Yukari, Horie Yui, Romi Poku, Inoue Marina, Kugimiya Rie, Sawashiro Miyuki and maybe Mizuki Nana (I know 2ch hates her, but westen fans seems to like her). They don't have one character that is popular, they voiced a few popular characters. Maybe fans feel that they actually have some talent?

The most popular seiyuus tend to be the ones who can sing too. Mizuki Nana is famous for her lives, Yukarin and Hocchan sings as well as the CD version (although they lack the stage presence). I guess a career in singing helps the seiyuu's popularity to raise? Hirano Aya on the other hand, isn't very good at lives yet she releases a CD after another.

I do agree that people who dislike Hirano Aya are fans of other seiyuus. Seeing Hirano Aya's popularity questions me on why Halko Momoi isn't as popular. She does amazing lives and her seiyuu work is as good as other popular seiyuus. Hirano Aya's popularity could also be that she is prettier then your average seiyuus, out of all seiyuus, Hirano Aya looks the best since her earlier days. So that fueled the argument of Hirano Aya is only popular because she's pretty.

Nakajima Megumi voice acting isn't memorable. I remember first watching Macross F thinking 'Why the HECK did they get an unexperienced seiyuu', I knew she was unexperienced before I even check who was voicing Ranka. She lacks the professional seiyuu voice and it really 'sticks' out. Her singing is pretty good, improvable, but I'm happy with her singing skills.

Stealther
2009-09-17, 16:01
I can at least confirm that I also mostly value seiyuus that have done several good performances, preferably with different kind of characters. I don't believe Hirano Aya is one of those.

And since I hate most tsundere characters I don't like Kugimiya Rie either, but in this case I can say she does them pretty good (good enough for me to dislike them all), although they all seem pretty much the same. Not the variation like Paku Romi with Edward Elric and Popo or Kawasumi Ayako with Lafiel and Nodame for example.

Exceptions to this (that they have do have done several good performances with different roles) is of course the one-hit-wonder Ahiru from Princess Tutu. She really sounds like a duck, and the I can't recall a better single seiyuuwork in any other anime. Sasaki Nozomi voicing Nana-chan in Bokura ga Ita is another green one I like. It was a splendid debut perfomance.

Kaoru Chujo
2009-09-17, 16:12
I think 2channel prefers vanilla professional voices over voices that have any edge or individuality. Or even acting talent. To me, Mizuki Nana is about as boring as a seiyuu can be. Everything seems "by the numbers" to me. And I feel the same about her singing. But I would never deny that she is very highly skilled, as a seiyuu and especially as a singer. I can't criticize people who like her, I just don't feel the same.

One factor is that as a non-Japanese who can understand most but not all of what is said in anime, I probably don't care as much if a voice sounds normal. I prefer edge, emotion, and individuality to professional skill and naturalness.

Hirano Aya does not sound natural, but has a sharp delivery, is inventive, and can project emotion. That's what I like about her voice. But I can understand why people might not appreciate her. Her sudden rise based on one role when the 2channel experts had already dismissed her as a nobody was understandably annoying to them. They criticize her for not being committed to voice work, but they do not criticize Nana-chan for spending half or more of her time singing, so that's a canard. Aya is nowhere near the singer Nana is (although I prefer listening to her, for whatever reason), so that probably figures in to their unfair approach. And certainly Aya's popularity is partly based on her appearance and personality rather than her voice.

As for Nakajima Megumi, I loved her voice in MacrossF, and I loved her character. She definitely had the flat, untrained sound, but I like that for certain roles. It seems real. Unfortunately, I found her singing on her solo album just about unlistenable. But that goes for most seiyuu singers, even including Horie Yui live. I think that Japanese viewers were overwhelmingly Sheryl-shippers, just as overseas viewers were, so I believe that figured in to the hate, too. And I can't help feeling that the fact Mamegu is half-Filipina also affected the attitude in Japan, unfortunately. "Full of herself" is a very subjective thing: "How dare you think you're better than I think you are." She is no great seiyuu, but the hate is ridiculous.

I like seiyuus for individual performances. I don't care if they have range or staying power. That's what I would care about if I were a producer hiring a cast, but I am a viewer. Aya, however, has all of the above, in my opinion. She's not the greatest seiyuu ever, but she makes most of her roles interesting in some way, and she has been doing that for several years now. My favorite roles of hers are Layla, Haruhi, Mei, and Konata. We'll see what she does with Yuki in the second half of White Album, and what she does in Fairy Tail.

Not to contradict myself, but my favorite seiyuu often have both professional skill and individuality: Paku Romi, Sawashiro Miyuki, Koshimizu Ami, Sanpei Yuuko, Kuwashima Houko, Yukino Satsuki, Yajima Akiko.... Those are a few top names, for me.

yezhanquan
2009-09-17, 18:57
In my book, I have put Mizuki Nana in the same category as Sakamoto Maaya. Any voice work that they do is now considered a bonus; they could very well choose to become full time singers, and leave this industry behind. When I see her name, it's like an anchor, so that the producers can probably worry more about getting the rookies' line right. I guess this is where you get the "by the numbers" feel. Boring But Practical, to quote a trope.

Seiyu who are Awesome Yet Practical can probably be counted in one hand. For the ladies, Ane-san is probably the epitome, followed by Hisakawa Aya. For Gents, Koyasu Takehito and Furuya Tohru comes to mind, not to mention the Otsukas.

KugiRie probably knows that she's been resting in the pigeonhole for a little too long. Besides, Pak Romi's angry young men DO sound alike. After Edward, Hitsuguya can be spotted a mile away.

Staying power is an indicator of how well you play "the industry game". It's a more cynical viewpoint, but as people, it would be nice to know that they're still running the scene after some time. Of the the list of ladies you mentioned, I'll definitely want to hear more of the last two. It's been a while...

Also, don't forget that Hirano Aya has staying power. First work was in KG, and that was 7 years ago. (Man, I feel myself getting older.)

Of the list, Sanpei Yuko is the only name I do not recognise immediately. I haven't heard much of Sawashiro Miyuki (apart from Hidamari, where she's the landlady), but her turn as Cammy in SF4 is good. I probably enjoyed Cammy's cutscenes the most. Would have been Sakura's, but Fukuen Misato's cutesy voice needed some getting used to. And the credits got her surname wrong :heh:.

Anyway, was browsing through TV Tropes when I read that Mitsuishi Kotono is doing Boa Hancock from One Piece. What the...

musume_no_hoshi
2009-09-18, 11:46
Mizuki Nana's voice acting is professional, it gets the work done, but lacks anything special. I never found her voice acting amazing. I cannot stand her 'moe' voice.

Nana-chan sings pretty darn well, maybe that's why 2ch isn't critizing her spending more time on her singing career. I think almost all of Nana's fans are interested in the singing then the seiyuu work really. While Hirano Aya fans like her voice acting work and not the singing.

Sanpei Yuko and Romi Poku both voices youngish male voice and mature female voice. Sanpei Yuko really surprised me with her Nozomi from Pretty Cure 5. I still remember watching Daa! Daa! Daa! 6 years ago with Sanpei Yuko as the main male character, she was around 14/13 back then (according to the mangaka's comment).

KugiRie's tsundere voice was extremely typical and boring till I watch ToraDora. Now that's how a tsundere loli should be voiced, that's the best voice work I never seen from KugiRie. Her shota voice is good too. But she always gives me the feeling of a seiyuu who 'has to pay the bill', doesn't look like she's trying to throw away her typical tsundere voice.

Yukarin and Hocchan's live are decent, at least they're not out of tune. It's not very exciting, but at least they're not crap :heh:. Their albums always bore the hell out of me, never found one that's good. Mayaa Sakamoto and Mizuki Nana are probally the most well known seiyuus for their singing and not voice acting.

Sometimes, an untrained voices works extremely well. The best examples are Studio Ghibi movies, their movies generally have a very realistic yet fantasy feeling to them, natural voices work well. But I feel that shows that are not so realistic, such as a generic harem show or comedy (or otaku shows in general), the professional seiyuu voice sounds better. I liked Hirano Aya's role as Reira in NANA, when when she was voicing Yuki in White Album, it sounded awful.

Kaoru Chujo
2009-09-20, 14:11
I thought Sanpei Yuuko did an amazing job as Nakiami in Bounen no Xamdo.

Yajima Akiko is best known as Shin-chan in Crayon Shin-chan, but where I got to know her was as Mari in Blue Drop. I just loved the sound of her voice and the kinds of feelings she got across. She was also powerful as the miko in Ghost Hound.

Yukino Satsuki will be back in evidence in the new Inuyasha series this fall, as will Yajima Akiko. I first heard her as Tina in Ai yori Aoshi and she didn't make that big an impression. But she played the drama club head in Hitohira and blew me away with her real acting. She had some big emotional scenes with Kawasumi Ayako (also consistently good) that really worked for me.

Paku Romi is pretty well always recognizable, but gives some special intensity or reality to her roles. I probably got my biggest hit from her in NANA, as well as in parts of Kurozuka.

Koyasu Takehito is also always recognizable, but I love his arch, mature, dangerous, charming voice. He first really bowled me over as the playboy Shuurei was emotionally powerless against in Saiunkoku.

I agree about KugiRie in ToraDora: that was a great role, taking her standard tsundere voice to a new level. But you have to give her credit for inventing that voice, too, as Shana, Louise and Nagi. Although those other roles are fairly uninteresting, to me.

I'm not very fond of the small, high voice Hirano Aya used in Hyakko and White Album. But there was something about the voice in White Album that made the character seem so extremely vulnerable. I think that was good, and I'm hoping it was setting up something more interesting in the second series.

One of the best performances of recent months has been Sawashiro Miyuki in Phantom. As young Cal, she was the charming, vulnerable young teen, but there was a hint of something odd lurking in her voice, as if the character was trying too hard. And that did a beautiful job of setting up something for the last part of the show. She's someone rather like Paku Romi, who has a very wide range of types and genders of roles, but is usually recognizable, and nevertheless always seems to give something interesting to her character.

One name I might have added to my list of favorites, if she wasn't so new that I can't quite judge yet, was Takagaki Ayahi. She can seem melodramatic if you aren't into it, but she can really push across the emotion, for me, and did so in Da Capo 2, true tears, and most recently, Phantom.

My knowledge of anime before about 2004 is so limited that there are a lot of seiyuu I don't know well enough, such as Hisakawa Aya.

Snickripep
2009-09-20, 18:40
The entire cast of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (Japanese dub).
BRAVO!*** That's all I can say. :) The voices and [psychotic] laughs were extremely well done!
Also, for the English dub, I need to give kudos to Mion/Shion's voice actress. In my opinion, she really was the "shining star" in that dub. Her laugh was perfect, her voice was very compatible with that of the original Japanese voice actress, she could do the horrific scenes very well, and she was a great actress in-general. Once again, this is only my opinion. I know many people disliked the way she played Mion and Shion.
Also, I have to salute Aya Hirano and Wendee Lee for the Haruhi dubs. They were both fantasic and brought their own style to the character's voice.~
And finally, Vic Mignogna. He's been in so much, and he's done so well. I am especially fond of him as Yukito in AIR, as well as (of course) Ed in FullMetal Alchemist.

yezhanquan
2009-09-20, 19:55
@Kaoru Chujo: Most of those in pre-2004 animes are vets. Hisakawa Aya changed from Genki Girl types to mature ladies (most of the time).

Siegel Clyne
2009-09-21, 03:44
Down through the years a common reaction of surprise and astonishment among Japanese viewers regarding voice actress (seiyuu) Tanaka Rie's range and versatility goes something like this...

Recently in the [Studio Rikka] Eve no Jikan act:05 [Yoshiura Yasuhiro] (http://hideyoshi.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/anime/1248262801/1-) anime thread on the 2-Channel message boards,

AG1fwIGf0 wrote in Post # 802 (http://p2.chbox.jp/read.php?url=http://hideyoshi.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/anime/1248262801/802) on Sunday, September 20, 2009, 15:17:19 Japan Time:

サミィとド変態リャン・チーの中の人が同じとは思えない…びっくりw

Sammy to do hentai Liang Qi no naka no hito ga onaji toha omoenai ... bikkuri w

I can't believe that the same person [Tanaka Rie] voices Sammy [in Eve no Jikan (TIME OF EVE)] and the sadomasochistic pervert Liang Qi [in CANAAN] ... I'm amazed lol

HwNTSrj7O replied in Post # 813 (http://p2.chbox.jp/read.php?url=http://hideyoshi.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/anime/1248262801/813) on Sunday, September 20, 2009, 20:02:11 Japan Time:

サミィ「ゲッサム!!ゲッサム!!ゲッサム!!」

Sammy: "Get some!! Get some!! Get some!!"

Tanaka Rie has a knack for delivering memorable lines, from Liang Qi's "Get some!! Get some!" (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=canaan+liang+%22get+some%22) in CANAAN to Suigintou's "Junk ni shite ageru(wa)!!" (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=%22junk+ni+shite+ageru%22) ("I'll turn you into junk!!") and "Nyuusankin totteruu?" (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=%22nyuusankin+totteruu%22) ("Have you been drinking your lactic acid bacteria beverages [e.g., Yakult]?" in Rozen Maiden to Chii's "Chii" and "Pantsu pantsu" (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=chii+%22pantsu+pantsu%22) in Chobits.

Sheba
2009-09-21, 05:34
I like seiyuus for individual performances. I don't care if they have range or staying power. for me.

That's exactly one of the reasons why I like x or y seiyuu.

Nozomu Sasaki? I loved him as Yusuke Urameshi, Tetsuo Shima, Enishi Yukishiro in Kenshin, Johan in Monster and Near in Death Note.

Kenji Utsumi? Imo, fantastic as Raoh in HnK and Armstrong in FMA.

(late) Kaneto Shiozawa? He made Rei and Zato (a VG character) awesome.

Megumi Toyoguchi? Revy.

Akira Kamiya? Kenshiro and Ryo Saeba.

Saki Nakajima? I absolutely loved her role as Chikaru Minamoto, and she needs more roles imo.

yezhanquan
2009-09-21, 08:52
The first 5 names on your list are considered Tier B+ or A- seiyu, at the very least. Nothing underwhelming about any of them.

musume_no_hoshi
2009-09-22, 13:10
Come to think of it, is there any male seiyuus disliked by fans?

Wakamoto is in his pigeon hole too, voicing mainly evil villians. Some animators even animate a character FOR him to voice (Munto comes to mind). Fukuyama Jun got a sudden popularity from voiceing Lelouch, just like Hirano Aya voicing Haruhi.

Mamoru Miyano got a bit of back slash for telling the world dam world he's getting married and that his wife is pregnant. But that's just what a normal fangirl would do.

Ottocycle
2009-09-23, 00:08
Come to think of it, is there any male seiyuus disliked by fans?

Wakamoto is in his pigeon hole too, voicing mainly evil villians. Some animators even animate a character FOR him to voice (Munto comes to mind). Fukuyama Jun got a sudden popularity from voiceing Lelouch, just like Hirano Aya voicing Haruhi.

Mamoru Miyano got a bit of back slash for telling the world dam world he's getting married and that his wife is pregnant. But that's just what a normal fangirl would do.
I think Nojima Kenji seems to be getting a fair bit of apathy around in the fanbase, and so does Suzumura Kenichi in my opinion, but he seems to be getting the love from the tokusatsu scene these days, ever since Kamen Rider Den-O two years ago. Nojima has no such luck though.

People still go for the veterans in male seiyuu still, apparently. The turnover rate seems far less than the female side of the industry. A male seiyuu would have to work far harder than a female one to break into the industry spotlight. Fukuyama for example, I heard him in Turn A Gundam in a prominent supporting role, and that was 1999!

Kaoru Chujo
2009-09-23, 16:11
Come to think of it, is there any male seiyuus disliked by fans?....Sakurai Takahiro gets a lot of flak for an incident a couple of years ago in which he was involved in plagiarizing someone's script for the script of a stage play his group was putting on. On 2channel, he has 38,000+ posts in his main thread, but as many as 21,000+ in anti- threads.

Just checking 2channel, other male seiyuu with goodly numbers of anti- posts are: Kamiya Hiroshi (for "keeping his marriage secret and still making money off fujoshi"), Suwabe Junichirou, Suzumura Kenichi, Morita Masakazu, Sugita Tomokazu (for "disgusting acting"), and Nakamura Yuuichi. Sorry, I havent read all those threads and don't know the details.

It does seem as if it's hard to break into the male seiyuu club, but once you're there, there is a lot of work available.

yezhanquan
2009-09-23, 18:29
Most of these threads are IMO sour grapes. Most of the guys you mentioned got really big seemingly overnight: Kamiya and Nakamura for 00 (e.g., Zetsubou-sensei counts for Kamiya and Clannad for Nakamura as well), Morita for Bleach, Sugita for Haruhi and so on.

But, as Ottocycle mentioned, the guys do have to sweat it out (not that the ladies have it easy). Bonus points if you're good looking. Sakurai and Miyano are the epitome of this.

Nojima Kenji is somewhat out of the industry. Having a father and an older brother in the same industry isn't quite good to your ego, what with the comparisons (if not to his father then to his brother). At least, when people compared Solid Snake and Big Boss, they are more kind.

musume_no_hoshi
2009-10-11, 07:44
Male seiyuus just don't really have a singing career. Miyano do have some sort of singing career, as good lookin as he is, his music are pretty boring to even me (I think I would be the target audience?). I guess I just generally don't like gay-boy-band type of songs anyway.

Male seiyuus does seem harder to break out. Looking through Pash! and Newtype Romance, all the BL-drama CD have pretty much exactly the same cast. I never realise till recently, Hetalia has all the BL-drama CD cast. But once you're established and willing to voice BL characters, there's no worry being out of jobs.

This is a little random, I notice quite a few long running shounen anime series don't hire popular seiyuus. Mizuki Nana who voices a minor character in Naruto, back then was practically unknown, now she got CD sales unbeatable by any other seiyuus/anison singer. Alot of seiyuu managed to become known after being hired in a long running shounen. But why is Fairy Tale hiring Hirano Aya? Who is well known by all otakus, whether they like her or not. But then Miyano voices a support role in Jewel Pets...I think Miyano wanted a more stable income for his wife and child, so even if it pays less, least it's running for a whole year.

yezhanquan
2009-10-11, 08:27
Ahem, you forgot about the Weiss boys. They were pretty big in their heyday. Individually, they still have great careers today.

And no, BL is out of bounds for certain guys. Sakurai and Ishida have already stated that they will not be taking any more BL roles. They will still honour their existing ones, though.

The thing about long-running shonen series is that the producers never really know what will happen to the plot. Signing a big name to the project may backfire, big time.

Natsuki Hyuga
2009-10-11, 08:38
Male seiyuus just don't really have a singing career. Miyano do have some sort of singing career, as good lookin as he is, his music are pretty boring to even me (I think I would be the target audience?). I guess I just generally don't like gay-boy-band type of songs anyway.

Hmmm? I thought quite a lot male seiyuus divulge into singing career as much as they don't really get too much often. Like Taniyama Kishou forming a band with whomever-that-name-I-forgot, Tachibana Shinnosuke forming a group called Lux-Age with Naruse... Something (and releases 2 singles/albums at least until now? Though I prefer him sang solo *cry* Guy got really awesome voice I say!), Miyu Irino and songs that he has sung too much that I forgot, Naozumi Takahashi releasing lots of singles already and... Much that I forgot. (I think Hirakawa already released his mini-album sometime ago too... And OnoD and HiroC, I think? I forgot which of those two LOL.)

I think aside of that, Okiayu Ryoutarou also sings a lot in the past? D: <<-Totally forgot.

They do not get publically into concert like Nana Mizuki and Maya Sakamoto though if that's what you mean. Though they rigged lots of fangirls money with whatever CDs they are in heh.

Miyano though, sometimes I do wonder why he sang so goddamn much in some OPs of games aimed for girls, even when there is an obviously better singer like Suzuken or Taniyama Kishou in said series. GODDAMIT LET KIYAN SING FOR A CHANGE WHEN THEY WORK TOGETHER >_>''

P.S : As for Kamiyan BL works ripping off fujoshis wallet, I say that it's well-appreciated, since he can actually makes me cry for God's sake in his bottom roles in drama CDs. :p I mean, I'm sure not minding to let 1500-5000 yen goes to waste for purchasing certain series, oh no, thanks to his really top-quality acting. Role-wise. Not karami scene (Well it comes into the pack, BUT!) :heh:

EDIT:

And no, BL is out of bounds for certain guys. Sakurai and Ishida have already stated that they will not be taking any more BL roles. They will still honour their existing ones, though.

Though hey, 2 to 3 guys out of 100++ guys available voicing drama CDs and increasing each year sure is not a damage here |D And they do leave good mementos to me *whistles* I'm not complaining as long as Yusa Kouji and Kamiyan not stopping their streaks in short amount of time :p

(Sorry, couldn't resist to take a little jab <3')

SeijiSensei
2009-10-11, 09:06
Does Shiraishi Minoru have a real singing career? If so, can he sing better than he does in Lucky*Star?!

yezhanquan
2009-10-11, 09:06
Well, yeah. My examples are just to say that not ALL the boys are that desperate. Besides. who can realistically beat Ishida Akira when it comes to BL roles? Kamiya Hiroshi still has some distance to go. As for Yusa, he'll always be the Silver King for me (Isley in Claymore, and fits darn well in a BL role if you ask me).

Natsuki Hyuga
2009-10-11, 09:25
Well, yeah. My examples are just to say that not ALL the boys are that desperate. Besides. who can realistically beat Ishida Akira when it comes to BL roles? Kamiya Hiroshi still has some distance to go. As for Yusa, he'll always be the Silver King for me (Isley in Claymore, and fits darn well in a BL role if you ask me).

As one of the obsessed BL fan since more than 3 years ago, I actually can safely say that Kamiyan BL roles are goddamn awesome, to the point where he can even receives 2nd place in my own list of favourite seiyuus for any of his uke roles. Just imagine his Natsume Takeshi from Natsume Yuujinchou for basic example, and you can get a good idea most are not ticked off with his karami scenes, and goes into puddle of goo. He basically have some kind of tones that can makes fangirls goes into puddle without being overly high pitched *coughHirarincoughMidorikawacough*. And most of all, he practically went into glory voicing any uke characters. All top 3 of my all time favourite drama CDs have him, thanks to his really top quality Voice acting.

I must admit though that if you ask any of fujoshi who are probably their all time favourite uke roles, it's... Maybe Kamiyan. -cough--cough- Once you heard him voicing karami scenes (uke), it was like a drug, srsly :heh: (*Shifty eyes* W-What? I... Errr... Did the same! :heh:)

Ishida, thanks to him voicing when it was quite a long time ago, suffers a lot of experience methinks. D: (Personal thinking, not general opinion. I'm practically head over heels for Ishida FYI). I think I'm actually the only person who is laughing in his VA job in Mis Cast Series *cough*

Though Ishida was frickin awesome once, when he voices all characters in one CD.And he pulled it off excellently. Now that is what I call Talent with capital T.

As for Yusa, just... Let's just say he gloriously have more than enough roles to keep me and fans entertained. Even 40-45% was only as sub-character ;-; Fine, my M self want some Yusa seme while my S side wants Yusa uke. That's basically how seductive he is okay! :p
Does Shiraishi Minoru have a real singing career? If so, can he sing better than he does in Lucky*Star?!

I have yet to hear Shiraishi Minoru, sad to say. Probably because he is not getting much attention in said industry D:

yezhanquan
2009-10-11, 09:32
Well, being a guy, I'll leave you to elaborate on the BL roles. The gents get my notice when they voice either awesome or LOL roles. Midorikawa as Ouran's Tamaki: nuff said. No doubt, quite a few of them have silky smooth voices.

Edit: So, that's where Kamiya got his practice for Tieria.

musume_no_hoshi
2009-10-12, 09:47
Hmmm? I thought quite a lot male seiyuus divulge into singing career as much as they don't really get too much often. Like Taniyama Kishou forming a band with whomever-that-name-I-forgot, Tachibana Shinnosuke forming a group called Lux-Age with Naruse... Something (and releases 2 singles/albums at least until now? Though I prefer him sang solo *cry* Guy got really awesome voice I say!), Miyu Irino and songs that he has sung too much that I forgot, Naozumi Takahashi releasing lots of singles already and... Much that I forgot. (I think Hirakawa already released his mini-album sometime ago too... And OnoD and HiroC, I think? I forgot which of those two LOL.)

I think aside of that, Okiayu Ryoutarou also sings a lot in the past? D: <<-Totally forgot.

They do not get publically into concert like Nana Mizuki and Maya Sakamoto though if that's what you mean. Though they rigged lots of fangirls money with whatever CDs they are in heh.

Miyano though, sometimes I do wonder why he sang so goddamn much in some OPs of games aimed for girls, even when there is an obviously better singer like Suzuken or Taniyama Kishou in said series. GODDAMIT LET KIYAN SING FOR A CHANGE WHEN THEY WORK TOGETHER >_>''

Well I was thinking along the lines of concert size like Mizuki Nana (Seibu Dome), Yukarin (Yokohama) and Hocchan (Budokan). Male seiyuu music in general don't sell as well as the the ladies. To be honest, I prefer female singing voices in general. Taniyama Kishou's performance in Animelo 2008 was really good.

I'm not familar with BL-drama CD or male seiyuus in general, I'm part of the new BL fans who just got into Hetalia. :heh: I know a few names and that's it.

Somnium
2009-10-14, 13:03
Tooya from Ayashi no Ceres
Yoko from Juuni Kokki
Alucard from Hellsing
Lucy from Elfen Lied
Haji from Blood+

Zu Ra
2009-11-04, 19:39
Oricon has conducted a survey of the Japanese public, asking them which seiyuu they consider “legendary,” and the results are instructive, covering every kind of voice actor and actress from acting geniuses with decades of experience and hundreds of roles to idol-seiyuu distinguished by their taste in swimsuits…

Obviously this list is taking into account sheer mainstream success rather than otaku fervour or ability to rally a horde of stalkers into buying CDs, so it is inappropriate to complain of a lack of idols, not that this will stop devotees howling about the omission of Rie Kugimiya or similar…

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/52/53228320xnobuyooyamayou.jpg

* 01. Nobuyo Ōyama / 大山 のぶ代 (Doraemon/Doraemon)

* 02. Akira Kamiya / 神谷 明 (Kinnikuman/Kinnikuman, Hokuto no Ken/Kenshiro)

* 03. Masako Nozawa / 野沢 雅子 (Dragon Ball/Son Goku, Ge Ge Ge no Kitaro/Kitaro)

* 04. Yasuo Yamada / 山田 康雄 (Lupin III/Arsène Lupin III) (RIP)

* 05. Minami Takayama / 高山みなみ (Detective Conan/Conan, Kiki’s Delivery Service/Kiki)

* 06. Kōichi Yamadera / 山寺 宏一 (GitS/Togusa, Cowboy Bebop/Spike Spiegal)

* 07. Noriko Hidaka / 日高 のり子 (Ranma ½/Akane Tendō, Inuyasha/Kikyo)

* 08. Mayumi Tanaka / 田中 真弓 (One Piece/Luffy, Urusei Yatsura/Ryuunosuke Fujinami)

* 09. Megumi Hayashibara / 林原 めぐみ (Evangelion/Rei Ayanami, Slayers/Lina Inverse)

* 10. [Joint] Keiko Toda / 戸田 恵子 (Anpanman/Anpanman, Thomas the Tank Engine/Thomas)

*10. [Joint] Aya Hirano / 平野 綾 (Haruhi/Haruhi, Lucky Star/Konata Izumi)

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2751/53216320xnobuyooyamayou.th.jpg (http://img24.imageshack.us/my.php?image=53216320xnobuyooyamayou.jpg) http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/637/53217320xakirakamiya.th.jpg (http://img40.imageshack.us/my.php?image=53217320xakirakamiya.jpg) http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/2465/53218320xmasakonozawa.th.jpg (http://img513.imageshack.us/my.php?image=53218320xmasakonozawa.jpg) http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/3162/53219320xyasuoyamada.th.jpg (http://img35.imageshack.us/my.php?image=53219320xyasuoyamada.jpg) http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/2774/53220320xminamitakayama.th.jpg (http://img39.imageshack.us/my.php?image=53220320xminamitakayama.jpg)

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/5818/koichiyamadera.th.jpg (http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=koichiyamadera.jpg) http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/9833/53222320xnorikohidaka.th.jpg (http://img691.imageshack.us/my.php?image=53222320xnorikohidaka.jpg) http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/5864/53223320xmayumitanaka.th.jpg (http://img442.imageshack.us/my.php?image=53223320xmayumitanaka.jpg) http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/9481/53224320xmegumihayashib.th.jpg (http://img689.imageshack.us/my.php?image=53224320xmegumihayashib.jpg) http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/5230/53225320xkeikotoda.th.jpg (http://img44.imageshack.us/my.php?image=53225320xkeikotoda.jpg)

Credits : Sankaku / Oricon (http://life.oricon.co.jp/70183/full?id=TOP#rk)

yezhanquan
2009-11-04, 21:47
Aya-chan must be really flattered if she knows about this list. Apart from that, I think most deserved the honour.

Zu Ra
2009-11-05, 11:20
Personally felt Romi Paku deserved to be in that list too . She has done a wonderful job over the years . Most of the seiyu are from an older generation . The seiyu that truly represents our generation according to me has to be Paku

musume_no_hoshi
2009-11-05, 12:23
All the choices made sense to me. But I agree with Zu Ra about Romi Poku, she voiced quite a few mainstream series too (Bleach, FMA and NANA). Hirano Aya is the most popular mainstream 'otaku' seiyuu, yet the otakus aren't buying her CDs...:heh: I don't understand why Hirano Aya is on the list, when the list consists of old skool seiyuus, voicing memorable characters. I know Haruhi and Konata are very memorable, but they're otaku targeted.
Anpanman! I remember watching that on the chinese kids channel when I young.

Nana reached 3rd with Mugen on the oricon charts with 44,718 copies sold on the first week. Compared to 42,630 for Shin Ai and 57,201 for Trickster. Her next single should sell better, considering it has Nanoha's movie for tie up. I don't really like Mugen the song itself, but I loved the other 3 songs. STORIES seems to be loved by alot of people.

Zu Ra
2009-11-05, 19:20
Romi Poku, she voiced quite a few mainstream series too (Bleach, FMA and NANA). Hirano Aya is the most popular mainstream 'otaku' seiyuu, yet the otakus aren't buying her CDs...:heh:

My favorites have to be Higepiyo (Higepiyo) and Tao Ren (Shaman King) . Apart from these the roles I liked ...

- Air Master - Maki Aikawa

- Amatsuki - Kuchiha

- Claymore - Teresa

- Kurozuka - Kuromitsu

- Law of Ueki - Kosuke Ueki

- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Regene Regetta

- RideBack - Tamayo Kataoka

- Samurai 7 - Katsushiro Okamoto

- Turn A Gundam - Loran Cehack

yezhanquan
2009-11-05, 21:53
Romi-san's voice is very recognisable. In fact, I often mistake others for her.

Natsuki Hyuga
2009-11-05, 22:25
Woah that list sure bring back nostalgia... Every of my childhood memories (aside from Aya Hirano) are there. *wipes tears of nostalgia* Though I guess the only one that I can recognize without doubt is Minami Takayama since well, it's hard to find undubbed version of Doraemon in my country as much as I love it! Hence the version that is stuck on my head is the dubbed version :p

As much as I really like Hirano, I'm wondering too why she is considered "legendary". It just stuck out so much in that list lmao D: Evidence that Haruhi/Lucky Star/Kyo-Ani fans are too hardcore? :< (J/k, but seriously. I say it stuck out like a sore thumb! I would vote for the P-Man and prolly Glass Mask seiyuus if you consider "legendary" there D: )

@Romi Paku's consideration while I agree with it, I still has yet to consider her in the legendary seiyuus faction :'D Maybe in 5 years more, when I nostalgiazed about FMA, I would haha~

Sheba
2009-11-06, 04:33
[/size]

I am highly pleased to see Koichi Yamadera AND the motherfcking Akira Kamiya! Especially Akira \o/

Kaoru Chujo
2009-11-06, 15:16
That survey for "legendary" seiyuu asked its participants -- who were 1000 men and women from their teens to their forties -- which seiyuu were such that "without the seiyuu, the anime was impossible." It wasn't which were "best."

On that basis, Aya does deserve to be in the list, since she was the heart of one of the most virally popular TV animes ever, by DVD sales. It became "legendary," a cultural phenomenon: the otaku anime par excellence, as seen by the non-otaku public. As a teenage girl respondent was quoted in the original article: "Her voice combined cute and strong, and was perfect for the character."

And she just squeaked in, anyway, tying for tenth place. Much as I like her, I'm not sure even I would put her in a list of the ten "best." She's certainly one of my ten "favorites," partly because she is so different from most other seiyuu. I have no doubt she is over the moon to be included in the list. I'm sure she knows about it, although I haven't seen her mention it in her blog.

Unfortunately, I have no way of judging that list overall, since I am not familiar with most of the seiyuu on it. I only started watching anime five years ago, more or less as an adult. And I just don't enjoy the most popular TV anime, which are all "family" shows like Doraemon or Conan or Dragonball -- the shows whose seiyuu dominate the list. I had no idea Yajima Akiko (who plays Crayon Shin-chan, and is one of my own top seiyuu) was so good until I heard her using a more serious voice in Blue Drop.

I could happily make a list of my "favorite" seiyuu, but I wouldn't know how to make a list of the "best" seiyuu. There are too many parameters to choose from, and I haven't listened critically enough to enough seiyuu to be sure. If I had to make a list, however, Paku Romi would be on it. For NANA, as well as a dozen other roles. And they just keep coming. I'm not a huge fan of Bantorra, but she rivets my attention whenever she speaks.

For anyone who can read it, here is a link to the original article (http://life-cdn.oricon.co.jp/70183/full) on Oricon. And here is j1m0ne's blog post (http://atemonai.com/blog/100-seiyuu-everybody-should-know-100-91/) where I first saw it mentioned.

Zu Ra
2009-11-06, 16:11
Leaving Yasuo Yamada (Haven't watched Lupin Franchise) and Keiko Toda ( Thomas Tank Dubbed) who I cant speak for . But others can say the all the seiyu mentioned deserved to be on the list as they had a huge cultural impact . And with Nozawa DBZ isn't even an issue ... only someone who hasn't watched Kitaro in his prime would doubt his modulation abilities . DBZ came out in 80s I am talking about 60s/70s its a feather in his cap, insulting to call it a defining role .

It would be nice for a change though . If people could just consider Seiyu as actors who can modulate there voices . These celeb idol and other tags are way to nauseating . Recognize actor for there voice acting abilities not there personal lives or how they appear or stalk them . Lately that has been the criterion which is quite stomach churning in a bad bad way

And I am not speaking about Aya though I dont subscribe to what she does . She did have an enormous cultural impact as a seiyu , no one can deny that //

musume_no_hoshi
2009-11-07, 08:57
As much as I'm part of the 'Hirano Aya is over rated' group, Haruhi would not be Haruhi without her. Hirano Aya wouldn't be as popular if it wasn't Haruhi either. I only think she's over rated in the singing department, I inner cry when ever someone think Hirano sings better then Maaya Sakamoto just because of her fake vibrato....

Beautiful_Alone
2009-11-12, 20:47
My absolute favourite is the "Rock n' Soul Boy" Canna Nobutoshi (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=1070) (the seiyuu formerly known as Hayashi)!!

Followed closely by Seki Tomokazu (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=529) and Tobita Nobuo (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=666), who has the most awesome voice when playing a villain, and not his lighter yaoi seme voice!! :p

yezhanquan
2009-11-12, 21:06
As much as I'm part of the 'Hirano Aya is over rated' group, Haruhi would not be Haruhi without her. Hirano Aya wouldn't be as popular if it wasn't Haruhi either. I only think she's over rated in the singing department, I inner cry when ever someone think Hirano sings better then Maaya Sakamoto just because of her fake vibrato....

Sakamoto Maaya is considered a mainstream singer, and that has a better reputation than seiyu in Japan, as far as I can tell.

Tobita Nobuo: Akabane from Getbackers and the Major from Hellsing. Nuff said.

Yajima Akiko's best known "serious" voice in recent years is Diva from Blood+. Man, that is a bitch.

Ottocycle
2009-11-12, 21:42
A pity none of the older seiyuu (well, Inoue Kazuhiko is an exception) are going to get recognition from the Seiyuu Awards. Polls like this always help though.

By the way, who is everyone voting for in the Foreign Choice category? I don't know whether it's going to help, given all the string-pulling behind the scenes, but I cast my vote in for Sawashiro Miyuki.

SeijiSensei
2009-11-13, 02:30
I just voted for Hoshii Nanase, the young newcomer who voices Erin in Kemono no Sou-ja Erin (http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/1363.html). This is my second year voting for a rookie; last year it was Kure-nai (http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/1192.html)'s Yuki Aoi (http://profit-v.com/pro/talent_yuki.html). Hoshii has been quite impressive as Erin. We see her character grow from eight to eighteen, and Hoshii managed to convey Erin's growing maturity by modulating the pitch and timbre of her voice. For someone who was up to now primarily a singing idol (http://www.avexnet.or.jp/hoshii/index.html), her ability to handle a demanding seiyuu role definitely won my vote.

If I had voted for an established professional, I would have chosen Paku Romi. This year she's voiced characters as divergent as a suicidal prostitute in Aoi Bungaku (http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/1527.html) and a bearded chick with samurai aspirations in Higepiyo (http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/1407.html).

musume_no_hoshi
2009-11-13, 14:33
Sakamoto Maaya is considered a mainstream singer, and that has a better reputation than seiyu in Japan, as far as I can tell.

Tobita Nobuo: Akabane from Getbackers and the Major from hellsing. Nuff said.

Yajima Akiko's best known "serious" voice in recent years is Diva from Blood+. Man, that is a bitch.

I just went and ask a random male friend, showing him a clip of Hirano singing Boken Desho Desho from Haruhi Concert and Sakamoto's Platinium from Kazeyomi Tour. He just said 'Wow she's hot, I prefer the mature type. But she sings better because her voice is more powerful' about Hirano. Made me totally shocked, when I consider Sakamoto to be one of the best seiyuu singers.

Just from the concert clips, you can easily tell Sakamoto is much more mainstream. I think there was more girls then guys there, and even children. With Mizuki Nana, it's mainly otawotas, but it's quite easy to spot a girl here and there (I think they're anime fans anyway, they seem to know the chant to songs). Hirano's concert was dominated by otawotas, when she told the girls to scream, I think there was about 10. According to some blogger, Chihara Minori's concert only had 15 girls attending. :heh:

I don't know who to vote for...

maxpepper
2009-11-13, 18:59
Inoue Marina

Haladflire65
2009-11-13, 22:52
Anyone know what Miki Shinichiro's latest roles not including Roy Mustang are? I really like his acting...

yezhanquan
2009-11-15, 07:50
Try Kobato. He's the loanshark there.

Spectacular_Insanity
2009-11-16, 13:54
With the most recent episode of Kiddy Girl-and (ep. 5), I am not sure if I have gained or lost respect for Norio Wakamoto.

Milu
2009-11-24, 22:12
Y'know, there's something I have to get off my chest. I'm disgusted by how no matter how much dubs improve, those die hard purists will never allow a dub to be considered good, and will go out of their way to bash every single dub voice actor, even those who actually put in effort! Dubs such as those of Haruhi, Lucky Star, and Azumanga Daioh, for example, have outstanding casts, but haters will dismiss them for not sounding "cute" enough, among other asinine reasons. It's irritating :frustrated: !

yezhanquan
2009-11-25, 08:18
As long as they put in effort (and not sound like they would rather be somewhere else), I'll let it go.

Altima
2009-11-26, 05:04
I will just list a few of my afvorite voice actors/actresses.

Wendee Lee
Laura Bailey
Steven Blum
Crispin Freeman
Carrie Savage
Colleen Clikenbeard
Chris Sabat
Leah Clark
Monica Rial
Mary Elizabeth McGlynn
Christine Auten

They are all wonderful

musume_no_hoshi
2009-11-27, 17:55
I just don't listen to dub, so I'm not complaining about it. I just generally prefer to watch anything in its original language, if possible. Unless it's those chinese dramas, where half the cast talks in mandarin and half in cantonese and they dub half the cast for whatever language you want to watch it in. :uhoh:

I did prefer that rugby episode of FMP: Fumoffu in dumb, I found it funnier in English.

Mizuki Nana invited Himeka on her radio show, Mizuki Nana no M no seikai. I was excited about this because Himeka was just a weebo just like me (and probably alot of people that posts here), and her fangirling to Mizuki Nana is no different then most Nanatards. It's no surprised that Himeka cried when she managed to ask for an autograph from Nana and get to perform on the same stage. Honestly, the radio show is pretty boring (or is it only this episode?).

Kaoru Chujo
2009-12-02, 14:19
Y'know, there's something I have to get off my chest. I'm disgusted by how no matter how much dubs improve, those die hard purists will never allow a dub to be considered good, and will go out of their way to bash every single dub voice actor, even those who actually put in effort! Dubs such as those of Haruhi, Lucky Star, and Azumanga Daioh, for example, have outstanding casts, but haters will dismiss them for not sounding "cute" enough, among other asinine reasons. It's irritating :frustrated: !I understand your feelings, and I can't speak from knowledge since I have only listened to a few dubs, and have never finished even one episode, hard as I tried. I have absolutely loathed every one I've heard. (Eureka Seven and Darker than Black are the ones I remember trying.)

My main complaint had nothing to do with cuteness, it was that they sounded too kiddy-like and not serious enough for me. I think it has to do with the style of acting preferred by producers of US TV animation. But I will try to find some of the ones you mention in order to give them a better chance.

It is certainly possible that I find less-than-ideal acting easier to identify in English than in Japanese, and the Japanese VAs are getting a bit of a free ride.

The annual Seiyuu Awards voting is on now at this site (http://www.seiyuawards.jp/). I'm not up to doing a full blog post this year -- I don't know enough choices in some categories -- but there is an English voting section, as well as the standard Japanese voting.

Best lead male of the year? - don't know
Best lead female of the year? Saitou Chiwa for Senjougahara in Bakemonogatari (also my favorite seiyuu of the year for the English voting).
Best supporting male? Ishida Akira for Xarxes Break in Pandora Hearts.
Best supporting female? Tamagawa Sakiko (a veteran) for Fujitsubo in Genji.
Best new male? - don't know
Best new female? Takagaki Ayahi (for Murasame in Sasameki Koto - also Ein in Phantom, Nina in Regios)
or Hanazawa Kana (for Suou in Darker than Black2 - also Kobato, Sharon in Pandora Hearts, Yuki in Cencoroll, Nadeko in Bakemonogatari)
Best singer? (under their own name, not a character's) -- Not sure. The only ones I know of who have albums out this year are Maaya, Nana, Aya, Minorin, Hocchan, Yukarin, Gotou Yuuko, and Katou Emiri. Of those, Maaya and Nana are by far the best. I love Aya, and some of her songs rock, but they aren't in that league. I would vote for either Hayami Saori or Takagaki Ayahi, if they had albums out of their own. Hayamin in particular is in the top class, for me. Hayamin, Ayahi, Maaya, and Nana are the only seiyuu-singers I know who seem to me good enough to compare with professional singers. Maybe Minorin. Not Hocchan or Yukarin. Certainly not Gotou-san.
Best personality? -- Hayamin and Ayahi are the only ones I've listened to much, so I don't know enough to vote properly. EDIT: Aya has her own TV show, so maybe she's in the running.

musume_no_hoshi
2009-12-03, 14:00
Best singer? (under their own name, not a character's) -- Not sure. The only ones I know of who have albums out this year are Maaya, Nana, Aya, Minorin, Hocchan, Yukarin, Gotou Yuuko, and Katou Emiri. Of those, Maaya and Nana are by far the best. I love Aya, and some of her songs rock, but they aren't in that league. I would vote for either Hayami Saori or Takagaki Ayahi, if they had albums out of their own. Hayamin in particular is in the top class, for me. Hayamin, Ayahi, Maaya, and Nana are the only seiyuu-singers I know who seem to me good enough to compare with professional singers. Maybe Minorin. Not Hocchan or Yukarin. Certainly not Gotou-san.

WAIT. Gotou Yuuko had an album released? What the heck. She's on KugiRie level when it comes to singing :heh: Hocchan and Yukarin sing well enough for an idol, but I wouldn't call them singers.

Kaoru Chujo
2009-12-03, 15:38
WAIT. Gotou Yuuko had an album released? What the heck. She's on KugiRie level when it comes to singing :heh: Hocchan and Yukarin sing well enough for an idol, but I wouldn't call them singers.CDJapan (http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=LACA-5841)

Here's a CDJapan search page (http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/list_from_code_banner.html?sort=rel_d&media=CDA&key=278441) for her on CD.

Matrim
2009-12-03, 21:05
Best supporting female is an extremely easy choice this year for me -- Rie Tanaka for Liang Qi (Canaan).

musume_no_hoshi
2009-12-08, 13:33
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-12-08/namikawa-directs-1st-film/live-action-wonderful-world

I can't be the only one who went 'WTF?!' at this announcement. Seriously, when did Namikawa knows how to direct a movie? When I read the title, I thought it must be another Namikawa. I can only remember him voicing characters who act very gay...(Fay, Mikage and Italy) :heh:. I'll see how well he can direct, maybe he has a secret talent or something.

Oh, the plot sounds awful. Sounds like a fanfiction to me.

Mamoru being the main actor? I'm not complaining, he is the best male seiyuu eye candy I know. He is from a theatre troop, so his acting should be okay. Both Tomokazus are going to appear in it. The cast certainly sound 'interesting', but can they act?

hinakatbklyn
2009-12-08, 18:33
Y'know, there's something I have to get off my chest. I'm disgusted by how no matter how much dubs improve, those die hard purists will never allow a dub to be considered good, and will go out of their way to bash every single dub voice actor, even those who actually put in effort! Dubs such as those of Haruhi, Lucky Star, and Azumanga Daioh, for example, have outstanding casts, but haters will dismiss them for not sounding "cute" enough, among other asinine reasons. It's irritating :frustrated: !

(1) I'm actually on the fence on this one. There may be 3 studios but 2 studios carry most of the dubbing each with different specialties maybe more overseas. One company of actors specialize in action and drama (Ghost in the shell, Monster, etc). They try a cute series like Lucky Star, the voices either can't catch up or don't match the character. They didn't have to match the seiyuu's voice when it came to Fate/Stay Night. That was a good series sub or dub.
The other company, although they have variety they specialize in mostly comedy. In this case not only the voices match the character, they are either up to par with the seiyuu or even better (School Rumble, Bamboo Blade). It depends on the voice actor and the character.

(2) If I was voting on a seiyuu whether he is nominated or not I would go with Takehito Koyasu. If I needed a 2009 character he voiced I would go with Adam Blade (Needless)

(3) English voice actor 1 from each company or studio, Michelle Ruff and Luci Christian. I couldn't possibly list all of my favorites.

Kaoru Chujo
2009-12-08, 22:41
@milu -- I've had a look at the first couple of episodes of AzuDai dubbed, and they really are okay. The broad American accents/styles of speech in a Japanese context do continually throw me off, but I get the reason for it. I still far prefer the subs, or raw (since I do understand a reasonable amount), but there is surely some prejudice involved. I can believe most of the American voices -- and a couple of the Japanese seiyuu don't do much for me, anyway (I listened to both sound tracks).

@musume_no_hoshi -- WTF'd me, too, but I looked up Namikawa Daisuke in ja.Wikipedia, and he appears to have done a tremendous amount of dubbing of foreign films and TV. He started in showbiz when he was nine and dubbed Frodo in LoTR, E.T., etc., etc. The article says he did boy roles that used to be done by women. I've never seen as long a list of dub roles, in fact. He's done Leonardo di Caprio several times. So he clearly has contacts in the movie and TV world. He has acted bit parts in five films. And the story of the movie he supposedly will direct sounds like a reasonable sci-fi plot to me, if they do it well. I'll wait and see.

When I went up to the main page (http://www.wild-strawberry.com/) of the company producing the film, it was the home page of the company Wild Strawberry, which makes silver accessories for men and women, and produced the dorama of the same name last year. So I guess the company's president (松村清秀 Matsumura Kiyohide?) is fairly daring. No doubt a lot of seiyuu think they should long ago have had their chance in a film, and he's giving them a chance. There's a mass call for extras here (http://www.wild-strawberry.com/movie/wonderful/extra.html).

Namikawa's Wikipedia entry tells of his closeness with many, many seiyuu. He seems to cut quite a figure in that world. He's certainly done a lot of good roles: Rock in Black Lagoon, Iks in The Third, Teen in Tide-Line Blue, Kazahaya in Kimi ni Todoke. Not much gar there, though, lol, as you suggest.

Maiku-kun
2009-12-08, 23:04
i actually like some american dubbing, granted some of it is terrible but ive seen a few great american voice actors dub anime

for example
johnny yong bosch - vash from trigun, ichigo from bleach, maiku kamishiro from please twins (not such a great dub ill admit)

and of course, the black power ranger :-)

musume_no_hoshi
2009-12-09, 11:02
@musume_no_hoshi -- WTF'd me, too, but I looked up Namikawa Daisuke in ja.Wikipedia, and he appears to have done a tremendous amount of dubbing of foreign films and TV. He started in showbiz when he was nine and dubbed Frodo in LoTR, E.T., etc., etc. The article says he did boy roles that used to be done by women. I've never seen as long a list of dub roles, in fact. He's done Leonardo di Caprio several times. So he clearly has contacts in the movie and TV world. He has acted bit parts in five films. And the story of the movie he supposedly will direct sounds like a reasonable sci-fi plot to me, if they do it well. I'll wait and see.

When I went up to the main page (http://www.wild-strawberry.com/) of the company producing the film, it was the home page of the company Wild Strawberry, which makes silver accessories for men and women, and produced the dorama of the same name last year. So I guess the company's president (松村清秀 Matsumura Kiyohide?) is fairly daring. No doubt a lot of seiyuu think they should long ago have had their chance in a film, and he's giving them a chance. There's a mass call for extras here (http://www.wild-strawberry.com/movie/wonderful/extra.html).

Namikawa's Wikipedia entry tells of his closeness with many, many seiyuu. He seems to cut quite a figure in that world. He's certainly done a lot of good roles: Rock in Black Lagoon, Iks in The Third, Teen in Tide-Line Blue, Kazahaya in Kimi ni Todoke. Not much gar there, though, lol, as you suggest.

I knew he was extremely experienced in voice acting (chinese wikipedia had more information), he probably been in the business way longer then many other male seiyuus. Even if he does have close ties with the industry, doesn't mean he knows how to direct a film. I have a feeling the movie would turn out to be a medicore movie, not good but not bad either.

I only noticed Namikawa recently because of Hetalia. He voiced bothNorth and South Italy, I didn't realise both characters was voiced by him till I listened to the character single. But erm...Namikawa cannot ever ever voice a seme, his voice is uke no matter how he acts :uhoh:

Well Japanese movies tend to be pretty low budget, so it'll be a good experience for any seiyuus that's involved in it.

Kaoru Chujo
2009-12-09, 16:57
...chinese wikipedia had more information...I have a feeling the movie would turn out to be a medicore movie, not good but not bad either. Yes, mediocre is likely. But maybe they can hire an assistant director to do the real work, lol.

They really seem to scoop up a lot of what's on Japanese Wikipedia for some articles on the Chinese version, don't they? Thanks for mentioning it. I can read more Chinese than Japanese, so I should double check there when I'm stumped by the Japanese.

...Unfortunately, the zh.Wikipedia article doesn't have this bit from the ja.Wikipedia, which intrigued me, but which I wasn't able to understand: "2001年1月、辻谷耕史らを招待し挙式。二児がいる。"

Full Metal Coast
2009-12-13, 21:43
just started watching Kaze No Stigma and i have to say that it has one of the best voice acting jobs for a dub that i have ever seen.

Oppius
2009-12-14, 19:19
Two seiyuus which I hate: Jun Fukuyama and Rie Kugimiya.

Actually there is nothing wrong about them but I just hate to see fanboys and fangirls squeals over them.

"Rie Kugimiya is my f*cking idol. People who replaced her should DIE!!"

Kugimiya fanboys when watching English-dubbed Gundam 00 and Shakugan no Shana. Same goes on Fukuyama's fangirls on English-dubbed Code Geass.

Nochgo
2009-12-14, 19:40
I don't understand your hatred for the two seiyuus; rather I feel they are misplaced. You should be hating the people who squel, not the seiyuus themselves. You are not making much sense by hating people who didn't do you any harm. And usually, people who says such things don't like dubs period, regardless who the original seiyuus are (at least, thats what I think).

hinakatbklyn
2009-12-15, 09:40
Seiyuu tend to go out of their way to match what a character might sound like. I'll admit, in most cases (both dub and sub) multiple characters from different series could end up with exactly the same voice. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Even if Shana, Louise, Nagi, even taiga (a little) sound the same, I have my doubts anyone else besides Rie Kugimiya could come close to matching these characters.

Of course, she's not a one trick pony as far as voices go. (Gakuen Alice / Hotaru, Nabari no Ou / [main character] and Saki / Yuuki [tacos]).

The problem here lies with who will try and dub the very same character opposite Kugimiya. It didn't work with Shana although a decent dub. I'll say the closest match dub wise lies with Louise (Zero). Unfortunately, without Louise's dub, there would be no need for the other dubs in that series.

hinakatbklyn
2009-12-18, 09:07
Speaking of dubs, looks like the dub for strike witches will not entirely be all funimation. Another former ADV voice actor Kira Vincent Davis has been credited as voicing one of the characters (Those from ADV that still want to be involved are going to funimation) Stephanie Sheh is the surprise credit in this series since she is a veteran of Bang Zoom.
If true, will this work in the dubs favor or will the original still be better?

musume_no_hoshi
2009-12-28, 15:57
I have no blog whatsoever, I guess it doesn't hurt to post what I think about Mizuki Nana's live Diamond here. She's still a seiyuu and there's no need to make another thread about it. Honestly it's a bunch of random thoughts.

I have to say, I'm blown away from the amount of people in Seibu Dome. 30k is 30k, although not all seats are filled. I have a feeling that Nana had a dome concert for the sake of boosting about it, Saitama Super Arena would have been cheaper. Since from this year she's trying to break into mainstream, I guess it does amazes alot of people that an artist have such a large concert yet they don't know about her. And for once it's not a concert for Johnny's boy band concerts, it really annoys me that Arashi lip syncs in a Tokyo Dome concert. There's more girls then I expected, it's quite easy to spot a girl here and there. I'm not doubting Nana-chan's ability to turn girls into lesbos.../points at self

Nana-chan's performance was top notch, just like every other performance she has. Even at the end of the concert when she said she can still keep going, I believe she can. Her stamina amazes me everytime. She definitely changed her costume designer, all her costume are either normal or good or amazing. The kimono she worn was really really really nice. Her extremely high heels always makes me smile, and I'm even shorter then Nana...

The only thing that dissapointed me was the live band. Mika-chan was there to play the harp, but there wasn't live strings like some concerts that Nana had before. Cherry Boy's little performance waas so cute even if they're a bunch of middle aged men. I love mocks of tokusatsu shows.

Nothing much to say about Fever. Other then all of the audience are Nanatards. That nun costume...was...'eh?'

Nana needs another 10k of fans who are willing to go to her concert for a Tokyo Dome concert. I think Nana has already grab most of the otaku crowd that would like her already. Kohaku should be able to get her some new fans, but I have no idea how little or how much it could get her.

Marcus H.
2010-01-18, 07:55
I have discovered this in myanimelist.net:

According to Chunichi news, seiyu Gori Daisuke found dead on a road in Nakano, Tokyo. He was bleeding from the wrist. Nakano Police discovered a knife and his suicide note. He was 57.

Sources: Chunichi, Yomiuri

Note: Gori Daisuke brought life to Dodonchakka from Bleach and Mr. Satan from DBZ.

May he rest in peace.

Knight_SV
2010-01-18, 13:24
he is yet to reprise his role as Mr. Satan in Dragon Ball Kai....
may he rest in peace

ZeroForever
2010-01-18, 13:46
I have discovered this in myanimelist.net:

According to Chunichi news, seiyu Gori Daisuke found dead on a road in Nakano, Tokyo. He was bleeding from the wrist. Nakano Police discovered a knife and his suicide note. He was 57.

Sources: Chunichi, Yomiuri

Note: Gori Daisuke brought life to Dodonchakka from Bleach and Mr. Satan from DBZ.

May he rest in peace.

http://forums.henshinjustice.com/showthread.php?t=47226

yeah just heard about his death myself he's done quite a few roles, kinda surprised. RIP from this end as well

Kaioshin Sama
2010-01-18, 14:12
He was the go to guy if you wanted a deep, gravelly and menacing voice for your character. Great character voice that can't be easily replaced since Norio Wakamoto is basically the only other one that fits into his range.

Penn
2010-01-20, 08:08
He was the go to guy if you wanted a deep, gravelly and menacing voice for your character. Great character voice that can't be easily replaced since Norio Wakamoto is basically the only other one that fits into his range.
Not even Tessho Genda, Akio Ohtsuka (to a lesser extent) or Jouji Nakata? Kiyoshi Kobayashi? I seem to recall Tessho Genda already replacing one of Daisuke Gori's roles (Dozle Zabi).

Even if comparing specifically to Norio Wakamoto I have encountered a few voices (and not checked up on once I realized they were not him) that are similar in tone, albeit not with the same Wakamoto-like quality.

Westlo
2010-03-07, 07:49
Saw this on myanimelist, couldn't find a thread for it here, usually one is made during the voting phase..

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=165422

Winners are Daisuke Ono and Miyuku Sawashiro. Miyuku Sawashiro keeps the tradition of a Best Supporting Female winner becoming Best Female the following year. Put some money on Horie Yui for the 2011 awards.. though the way she's been going lately she'll deserve it anyway.. I was never a fan of hers.. but she's become one in the last year.. and she'll have big enough roles too.. her Tsubasa from Bakemonogatari, Yukionna aka Tsurara from the upcoming Nurarihyon no Mago for starters.

That being said while I love Miyuku Sawashiro and it's awesome to see her get recognition.. her two listed roles for her win have imo been some of her worst work. She got totally outdone by Tanaka Rie in Canaan.. it was like Chistrian Bale to Heath Ledger... and Lag in Letter Bee is just mediocre. I do love her Suruga, Selty/Celty (this wouldn't have counted for this anyway), Yano and Cal though.

Abe Atsushi finally wins the newcomer award, I thought he was going to win it last year but his cast mate from Index in Nobuhiko Okamoto got it before him.

The winners of the 4th Seiyu Awards are as follows:

Best Actor
Ono Daisuke (http://myanimelist.net/people/212/Daisuke_Ono) ("Kuroshitsuji (http://myanimelist.net/anime/4898/Kuroshitsuji)")
Best Actress
Sawashiro Miyuki (http://myanimelist.net/people/99/Miyuki_Sawashiro) ("Canaan (http://myanimelist.net/anime/5356/Canaan)", "Tegami Bachi (http://myanimelist.net/anime/6444/Tegami_Bachi)")
Best Supporting Actors
Namikawa Daisuke (http://myanimelist.net/people/87/Daisuke_Namikawa) ("07-Ghost (http://myanimelist.net/anime/5525/07-Ghost)", "Kimi ni Todoke (http://myanimelist.net/anime/6045/Kimi_ni_Todoke)")
Miki Shinichiro (http://myanimelist.net/people/22/Shinichiro_Miki) ("Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (http://myanimelist.net/anime/5114/Fullmetal_Alchemist:_Brotherhood)", "Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (http://myanimelist.net/anime/2581/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_00)")
Best Supporting Actresses
Inoue Kikuko (http://myanimelist.net/people/195/Kikuko_Inoue) ("Clannad ~After Story~ (http://myanimelist.net/anime/4181/Clannad_~After_Story~)", "Macross Frontier (http://myanimelist.net/anime/3572/Macross_Frontier)")
Horie Yui (http://myanimelist.net/people/28/Yui_Horie) ("Toradora! (http://myanimelist.net/anime/4224/Toradora!)", "Bakemonogatari (http://myanimelist.net/anime/5081/Bakemonogatari)")
Best Newface Actors
Abe Atsushi (http://myanimelist.net/people/991/Atsushi_Abe) ("Toaru Majutsu no Index (http://myanimelist.net/anime/4654/Toaru_Majutsu_no_Index)")
Maeno Tomoaki (http://myanimelist.net/people/1489/Tomoaki_Maeno) ("White Album (http://myanimelist.net/anime/4720/White_Album)", "Sora no Manimani (http://myanimelist.net/anime/6098/Sora_no_Manimani)")
Best Newface Actresses
Ito Kanae (http://myanimelist.net/people/762/Kanae_Itou) ("Shugo Chara! (http://myanimelist.net/anime/2923/Shugo_Chara!)", "Taishou Yakyuu Musume. (http://myanimelist.net/anime/5141/Taishou_Yakyuu_Musume.)")
Toyosaki Aki (http://myanimelist.net/people/599/Aki_Toyosaki) ("K-ON! (http://myanimelist.net/anime/5680/K-ON!)", "Kanamemo (http://myanimelist.net/anime/5914/Kanamemo)")
Best Singers
"Hokago Teatime" ("K-ON! (http://myanimelist.net/anime/5680/K-ON!)")
Toyosaki Aki (http://myanimelist.net/people/599/Aki_Toyosaki)
Hikasa Yoko (http://myanimelist.net/people/7263/Yoko_Hikasa)
Kotobuki Minako (http://myanimelist.net/people/6634/Minako_Kotobuki)
Sato Satomi (http://myanimelist.net/people/6560/Satomi_Satou)
Taketatsu, Ayana (http://myanimelist.net/people/6996/Ayana_Taketatsu)
Best Radio Personality
Onosaka Masaya (http://myanimelist.net/people/173/Masaya_Onosaka)
Overseas Fan Award
Saiga Mitsuki (http://myanimelist.net/people/197/Mitsuki_Saiga) ("Peace Maker Kurogane (http://myanimelist.net/anime/161/Peace_Maker_Kurogane)", "Kyou kara Maou! (http://myanimelist.net/anime/251/Kyou_kara_Maou!)")
Special Award for a distinguished service
Takahashi Kazue (Isono Katsuo in "Sazae-san (http://myanimelist.net/anime/2406/Sazae-san)", passed away in 1999)
Award for a distinguished service
Genda Tessho (http://myanimelist.net/people/761/Tesshou_Genda)
Sugiyama Kazuko (http://myanimelist.net/people/786/Kazuko_Sugiyama)
Tanaka Nobuo (http://myanimelist.net/people/9212/Nobuo_Tanaka)
Synergy Award
Mobile Suit Gundam (http://myanimelist.net/anime/80/Mobile_Suit_Gundam)
Furuya Toru (http://myanimelist.net/people/326/Toru_Furuya)
Ikeda Shuichi (http://myanimelist.net/people/598/Shuuichi_Ikeda)
Tomiyama Kei Memorial Award
Mizuki Nana (http://myanimelist.net/people/81/Nana_Mizuki)
Kids Family Award
Mizuta Wasabi (http://myanimelist.net/people/6567/Wasabi_Mizuta)

Source: Seiyu Awards Official Website (http://www.seiyuawards.jp/)

karice67
2010-03-07, 08:30
OnoD was expected. Relatively speaking, last year was a weak year for male seiyuu performances, at least in main roles...though I did love him as Sebastian ^^

It may be a bit premature, but I feel like I'd prefer Sawashiro Miyuki to have received next year’s main for her roles in 2010. I'm liking her more and more in Durarara!! and frankly, Saitou Chiwa should have won it for last year.

Agree with you on Horie Yui - I'm not a fan, but she's good. It probably helps that both fans and the industry love her. ^^;

SeijiSensei
2010-03-07, 09:14
The Overseas Fan Award went to Saiga Mitsuki? I looked at her resumé and can't for the life of me figure out what shows/characters of hers made such a big impression outside Japan. Perhaps others here can enlighten me?

karice67
2010-03-07, 09:29
The Overseas Fan Award went to Saiga Mitsuki? I looked at her resumé and can't for the life of me figure out what shows/characters of hers made such a big impression outside Japan. Perhaps others here can enlighten me?

According to the little spiel they give on the official website, it's because of Kyou Kara Maou. They say that the character she plays, Wolfram, is loved around the world, to the extent that fans actually ask for the Japanese version/track rather than the dub. She's also very popular for playing Okita Souji in PEACE MAKER Kurogane.

When they put it that way, I can sort of understand - I loved her in PMK too, albeit when I first saw it back in 2004/5! The odd thing is that the DVDs were released in the West in 2005...though Crunchy Roll started airing the series at the start of last year (ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-01-07/crunchyroll-posts-gonzo-last-exile-chrno-crusade-others)).

As for Kyou Kara Maou (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=3741), DVD boxsets for the first two season were actually released in the middle of last year.