PDA

View Full Version : Death Note - Episode 37 [END] Discussion / Poll

Pages : [1] 2

Pellissier
2007-06-26, 10:04
Welcome to the discussion thread for Death Note, Episode 37.

Thread Guidelines
Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message (http://forums.animesuki.com/faq.php?faq=vb_board_usage#faq_vb_pm_explain).
Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
Be polite to your fellow forum members.
Please try to keep the discussion on topic.

Spoiler Policy

Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
Adding a Spoiler tag:

spoiler.gif
Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:

report.gif
Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
to locate and deal with problems quickly.
Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

kaoruky
2007-06-26, 11:03
i can't belive, it's the end :(

HyugaHinata
2007-06-26, 11:07
Personally, I'm glad it's finally over, and I'm glad they condensed the Higuchi arc.

Pakxenon
2007-06-26, 11:40
SWIMMING LESSONS fans got trolled. However, it was a CANDID CAMERA ending.
epic epic epic epic can't wait for watching epic epic epic!

Pellissier
2007-06-26, 11:46
As stated on this post (http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=798073&postcount=1), please remember that Death Note is licensed hence asking for subs and discussing groups is not allowed here.

White Manju Bun
2007-06-26, 12:09
Wow just saw some pics...I cant wait to see this raw!

quina
2007-06-26, 12:15
NOOOOO!!!! THERE IS NO DEATHNOTE ANIME!

- There is no swimming lesson!! WHAT!!~'

zalem
2007-06-26, 13:13
Eh? What do you mean no Death Note? You mean it's not airing this week?

LOL. No swimming?

Wow just saw some pics...I cant wait to see this raw!

Man, don't suppose you can share? :) I'm dying to see the RAW for this too. Very curious whether they will stick to the manga end.

Albert-Wesker 3rd
2007-06-26, 14:15
Watching it as I type.

zalem
2007-06-26, 14:23
Downloading it right now.....

Time to see if:
Light goes for Olympic gold!

Albert-Wesker 3rd
2007-06-26, 14:24
My god light is at first a whiney bitch and now completely insane.

Madhouse changed the ending from the manga completely.

Light gets away from the group. They spend time searching the factory. They can't find his. Light takes time to rest(Due to his bullet wound) and as he sits there is shows Ryuk sitting on a tower. He rights Light's name in the death note and says something. Then it shows Misa on a train. Then it goes back to Light and we hear the famous heartbeat. Then we see Misa on top of a building at the edge, She closes her eyes then the camera pans away. Then back to Light and he looks to his right and sees L. Then he slowly closes his eyes. Pan to the entire factory complex then it looks at the moon. End. All while soft music being played. I am pissed. Not as climactic as manga.

aardvark
2007-06-26, 14:47
It's over.

We had Swimming Lessons, although brief, but they were there.

A very melancholic end for Light. Mikami kills himself in a very gruesome way. Near still wins. Misa possibly kills herself, it's not shown but heavily implied.

The montage of Light running while flashbacks of his younger self waking down the street was done really well.The final scenes with Light laying on the stairwell and seeing the silhouette of L as he dies were perfect. I chance to say I prefer this to the manga's ending.

Albert-Wesker 3rd
2007-06-26, 14:53
It was a good ending no doubt.

But

I wanted to see the look on Light's face when Ryuk told him there was only nothingness after death. The manga's ending alot more, I guess action. Can anyone who understand Japanese tell me what Ryuk said when he wrote Light's name down? This ending makes it seem like there is a heaven and hell, while the manga's said there isn't.

zalem
2007-06-26, 15:25
Well, the overall outcome is the same as the manga, but they did make some interesting changes. I might like this slightly better than the manga end (I hated the manga end), but....I think I need to watch it again.

It's good that they show that with Misa...though technically she's not supposed to kill herself until a year later. They also totally skipped the last few scenes in the manga when they go a year into the future and you see that the world has gone back to how it was before Kira.

But I like it better ending at this point instead. Light was still pathetic, unfortunately, but he wasn't quite as pathetic as he is in the manga. We don't see the begging and screaming he did at the end of the manga in the anime. So it makes it slightly more tolerable.

I really like the scenes where he's running and we see his younger self...sort of sad. Also the end where he sees L is fitting. This ending is actually more melancholy than the manga ending.

I still would have preferred that they kill Near off at least. *sighs* Oh well...I really wasn't expecting them to change anything.

Anacone
2007-06-26, 15:27

But

I wanted to see the look on Light's face when Ryuk told him there was only nothingness after death. The manga's ending alot more, I guess action. Can anyone who understand Japanese tell me what Ryuk said when he wrote Light's name down? This ending makes it seem like there is a heaven and hell, while the manga's said there isn't.

It was said in eyecatchthat when human dies, place they go is MU.

pomps
2007-06-26, 15:28
Ryuku said Light lost, completely, and as a rule, he had to right the name of the one who used the DN anyway, it's not interesting anymore since Light had lost and he hates to wait for Light to die in prison so he wrote Light's name in his own DN. Ryuku said they both had a good time :D.
And I like the manga ending more, want to see Light's face when Ryuku tell him he'll write his name instead of the others

Albert-Wesker 3rd
2007-06-26, 15:38
O well, was still good. I liked the manga and anime alot. Both endings were good, I prefer the manga's and that is just me. Been a fun nine and a half months. At least they both offer something different.

Now I am sad, no more great suspense. I will miss my favorite shinigami.

zalem
2007-06-26, 15:40

But

Well, during those commercial break Death Note rule scenes they *did* have the whole "when humans die they go to Mu (Nothingness)" thing, so I guess that still applies? Though Ryuk didn't actually say the line himself in the anime.

mist2123
2007-06-26, 16:15
It was said in eyecatchthat when human dies, place they go is MU.

What us MU?(noob question)

Anacone
2007-06-26, 16:22
What us MU?(noob question)

It's explained there in eyecatch too...MU = Nothingness...

Mueti
2007-06-26, 16:50
So that's the ending of this great anime.
It was very atmospheric, no doubt, and most of the scenes were quite beautiful. Unfortunately it ended exactly as I thought it would, no more surprises. So while there really isn't anything to criticize technichally, it's still a bit unsatisfying for this show full of insane twists to end on such a standard note.

Still, I'm looking forward to rewatching the whole anime in the near future already.

Dagger
2007-06-26, 17:26
Oh my. So much more moving & powerful than the manga. This is definitely one of my favorite episodes of anything ever.

quina
2007-06-26, 17:32
well a sub is out. so nomore spoiler tag

What the hell is this ending? Moving? I don't think so, its intended as a fan service. The ending where Light die on the spot while begging for his life counting his second vanish is A LOT more powerful. This anime one is chessy, a peaceful death? no doubt its for Kira's fan.

The SWIMMING LESSON has decreased dramaticly, it has been cut short! (even though some still exist they even have the water there lol). This is the worst part because I have been waiting for this counting every second when this air is shown. Turnning it into a marathon? hello~ give me a break, that guy was shot multiple times all over his body, nice job having Kira the zombie running around producer.

Another thing, this is the last episode thats mean there is NO EPILOGUE like in manga. In Manga you spend an extra chapter exploring the world without Kira again and also discuss the possibility of Near's true act and intention. I really love that part.

Although I like the fact that they still preserve the original story line, I am disappointed at the execution. I explained myself above, and I certainly agree with several of 4chan-er that "There is no Death Note Anime"

mycen
2007-06-26, 17:37
Well, at the end of the episode, Hirano Aya announced , during a promo event with Haruka Kudo, that they would make a Death Note special. I am not sure if they are going to release this later in summer or include in the DVD..

Edit: Don't flame me for any misinterpretations

medigo
2007-06-26, 17:47
Although I like the fact that they still preserve the original story line, I am disappointed at the execution. I explained myself above, and I certainly agree with several of 4chan-er that "There is no Death Note Anime"

Thats a little harsh isnt it?
And here I thought people hated the DN Manga ending

Xcomp
2007-06-26, 17:51
Hmmm...
Brilliant laugh by Mamoru. Sounded like Light finally snapped and he really looked evil in that scene.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7924/dn37avp5.jpg

Light gets away because Mikada kills himself. I doubt he done that on purpose as a distraction. Either Madhouse made him kill himself because he thought his God was dead and everything was going to end or, he blamed himself for the mistake he made. There were tears in his eyes so it's probably the latter. But damn, way too much blood... Reminds me so much of Battle Royale.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/1361/dn37bcm0.jpg

Light runs out the door. Near tells Aizawa to leave him alone since his wounds would eventually bring him down anyway but then Aizawa asks Near not to send his men after Light. Aizawa and the rest of the team run off to find him instead.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8486/dn37ccj9.jpg

Light's life flashing by him as he struggles off... I guess that's the thing you see in any show when someone's near death. It's good though because here it reminded everyone what the original Light was like before he obtained the Death Note. A normal intelligent student that had a bright future ahead of him.

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/4505/dn37dmu3.jpg

Ryuk:
"You lost Light. I told you this before didn't I? I said I'll be the one to write your name in my Death Note when you die. That's the deal between a Death God and the first person who picks up the Death Note dropped into the human world.

If you go to jail, I don't know when you'll die. Waiting would be a pain. This is the end for you, Light. You're dying right here.

We did manage to rid each other's boredom for a while. It was fun."

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3151/dn37ecp1.jpg

So what was the image of L that appeared at the end? I guess it's to show that Light eventually lost to L in a way. Personally I would have preferred L coming to welcome Light to the after world as a friend but, since there's that eye catcher about returning to nothingness, it couldn't happen.

This ending was well, as others put it, more melancholy. Light didn't have that vengeful look when he died. It's more like he regretted what he could have done with his life after that flashback that ran by him. A better wrap up than the Manga I would say. The epilogue left the reader wondering about too much.
End screen with the message about something after the CM was cut off in my version of RAW so I guess I'll have to find another version to see what it is. I really don't think it'll be an epilogue. Maybe another voice actor special?

Deathkillz
2007-06-26, 18:01
my my so the controversy has already begun :heh: as for me ~
be that i havent read the manga version i really like this end...boy does light lose it completely ~ all those spazms and the yelling their lungs out really gave me a headache...

matsuda did well in shooting light before he had a chance to write down anyone's name ~ i guess he wasnt a total waste of space after all ~
misa is dead...most definitely she commited suicide from the look of her outfit and from her standing on a really tall building on the other side of the fence...

ill probably say more about the end when a thread for overall impressions pops up

Yushi
2007-06-26, 18:06
I actually like this ending a lot better than the manga ending because in the manga, Light was protrayed as a villian a little TOO much. It's like he was completely evil, mindless, shameless, and murderous. But the anime protrayed him more as a victim, which is actually true. Everyone fell victim to the death note, the user, the police, the victims, everyone. I mean, look at Mikami...Sure, he had THOUGHTS of killing people but I'm sure if it wasn't for the notebook he wouldn't have done anything, let alone gone nuts like that. So yes, I like this ending better because it was more tasteful and in my mind, a lot more emotionally dramatic than the manga.

(and on a side note, I still can't get used to Misa's gothic make up. lol)

Albert-Wesker 3rd
2007-06-26, 18:08
So are we 100% sure Misa jumped? She could have just been moping.

Dagger
2007-06-26, 18:11
They left it up to the viewer's interpretation IMO. (I think she jumped.)

mycen
2007-06-26, 18:31
IEveryone fell victim to the death note, the user, the police, the victims, everyone. I mean, look at Mikami...Sure, he had THOUGHTS of killing people but I'm sure if it wasn't for the notebook he wouldn't have done anything, let alone gone nuts like that.

Godlike powers like those in the DN, when used by mortals, tends to corrupt the human soul. This is what the director wanted to convey IMO.
The part where Light had flashbacks to a possible future where he did not pick up the DN is very nice indeed.

Albert-Wesker 3rd
2007-06-26, 18:31
Eh, she probably did. She was devoted to Light. Yeah she probably jumped. Thought she could be with him in the afterlife. Ha, sucks for her.

Draender
2007-06-26, 18:42

She looks down and turns away so it is possible.

Originally I thought her scenes were a flashback and continuation of her walk in episode 25 or symbolic (since she is alone on the train), but I realized they were just linking what will happen in the future to what was happening at the warehouse in order to bring closure to everything in Light's final moments. The manga itself doesn't explain what happened to her as part of the story. Misa's fate is revealed in "Volume 13: How to Use" where it implies that Misa committed suicide. We shouldn't be surprised... Ryuk told us that the death note made people miserable and brought misfortune to anyone who used it.

Here's a translation of her biography and some comments from Volume 13: http://www.deathgod.org/main.php?x=info/c_misa

I found the anime ending much more satisfying than the manga ending. Light's plans always had flaws in them but because he was able to predict things correctly it wasn't obvious; unlike L he didn't have branches in his plans and unlike L he didn't anticipate making bad predictions. This last episode resolves all of the characters and doesn't need an epilogue to bring the story to a conclusion.

kauldron26
2007-06-26, 19:00
i dont understand y people have a problem with the ending... with everything that light did, and what he was becoming, he was bound to die. shit even in the earlier chapters Ryuk explicitly hinted that light was not going to have a good end. how perturbed do u have to be to want a mass murderer in the vein of fucking hitler to want to rule the world... something is seriously wrong with that method of thinking.

Grey
2007-06-26, 19:06
Geh. Death Note reminds me of a game that has gone the "Bad End" route. Nevertheless, it's nice that they didn't have Light throw his pitiful fit. That always felt out of character.

EDIT: And it looks like the thread has been Godwin'd.

Albert-Wesker 3rd
2007-06-26, 19:21
i dont understand y people have a problem with the ending... with everything that light did, and what he was becoming, he was bound to die. shit even in the earlier chapters Ryuk explicitly hinted that light was not going to have a good end. how perturbed do u have to be to want a mass murderer in the vein of fucking hitler to want to rule the world... something is seriously wrong with that method of thinking.

They are not mad he died. They are mad the anime ending was different than manga's. He dies in both. I thought both were good. Prefer the manga's but anime's is great too.

White Manju Bun
2007-06-26, 19:32
Wow...I love it, I liked it better then the manga. Miyano Mamoru did an awwesome job. I loved the evil laugh. Music was awesome as well. Ending was prefect!

zalem
2007-06-26, 19:43

According to HTR 13 she does kill herself....only she does it a year later on Valentine's day. So I'm more inclined to think she jumped since they probably didn't want to leave the anime watchers in the air about it...

They didn't animate the final chapter of the manga either.

aardvark
2007-06-26, 19:43
Wow...I love it, I liked it better then the manga. Miyano Mamoru did an awwesome job. I loved the evil laugh. Music was awesome as well. Ending was prefect!
Yeah, Miyano has done great roles before, but he's been FANTASTIC in this show, particularly these last episodes.

I thought he did an incredible job last episode, but wow he was even better here. And that laugh? Absolutely genius. For the most obvious comparison, it makes Jun Fukuyama's laughs as Lelouch seem utterly pathetic...

zalem
2007-06-26, 19:55
The more I watch this, the more I do like this end much better than the manga end. Of course, Light haters will be throwing fits but oh well...they can always have the manga to look at. Those of us who were never happy with the manga's ending at least have a little something to be satisfied with now.

I thought the episode was well done and I liked the melancholy feel to it.

I loved the scene where Light is running and we see the flash back of his younger, uncorrupted self. It's sad....makes you really think about the corruptive nature of the Death Note and how it only brings misery and tragedy. It ruined the life of someone who had a really bright future and it brought nothing but tragedy to the whole Yagami family.

It would have been interesting if they changed it and had Light win, but it would have also defeated the purpose of the story. It was meant to be about his corruption and fall from grace. Still, I really wish he could have taken Near out at least.

rwrxyz.123
2007-06-26, 20:04
The ending was full of symbolism.

During the credits Misa's part... When they focus in on her she's on a building and when she closes her eyes you can see the factory towers in the background. I believe it is all symbolic because it may be among Lights last thoughts. After the image of L he closes his eyes.

Albert-Wesker 3rd
2007-06-26, 20:05
But he is not so innocent. He never had to kill anyone. He had the intent before the note. After he got the note, he just had the means. Had he truly been innocent, he would never have written a name, or after he killed the punk, never written in the note again. He was never a saint. He never showed remorse for ANY one he killed. I feel nothing for Light am I am glad he died.

Shiroth
2007-06-26, 20:07
A good way of putting it is saying the anime gives you more of an ending compared to the manga --- and i'll admit i seen this coming. Since the first episode, Madhouse have added some new scenes to 'complete' a few parts that were left open in the manga. Its a perfect manga adaptation with added bonus'.

zalem
2007-06-26, 20:12
But he is not so innocent. He never had to kill anyone. He had the intent before the note. After he got the note, he just had the means. Had he truly been innocent, he would never have written a name, or after he killed the punk, never written in the note again. He was never a saint. He never showed remorse for ANY one he killed. I feel nothing for Light am I am glad he died.

I don't know...I personally sympathize with his original ideal and can see where he was coming from. It was an incredibly naive way of thinking, but I can see why he did what he did. Now the whole "I will become god of a new world" thing is a totally different story altogether. That's him being a bit nutty. lol. He wasn't a saint, but most people aren't.

Albert-Wesker 3rd
2007-06-26, 20:13
Anyone else think the blood gushes were a little too...dramatic is the word?

Seriously when Mikami suicided, I went WTF?

Nightengale
2007-06-26, 20:16
Ending was solid. Different a little, but not in a bad way. The manga, the live-action, and this...all had their good merits.

Overall, DN had its ups and downs, but I was satisfied with its adaption. It added an extra dimension to the manga which by itself was atmospherically superb with Obata's amazingly well-used tone of black constrast of white...better than his current Ral Grado, to say the least.

As an ending to the anime...I'd say it works good. In the end, the animation brings us back to the beginning of everything, from the sunlight, Light walking slowly as he sees the past him prior to obtaining the DN... as one person once said, everything goes back to their roots in the end, no matter how far up one climbs. In the end, Light was shown to be powerless and his result was such.

Light began with nothing as nothing at all...and in the end, he too returns to nothingness with absolutely nothing as well. The anime brings it to a more "circled" execution, and it shows.

The manga was more WTFBBQ in some of its executions, but I'm not going to complain. It's not like the story was completely revamped...say, FMA. It just took a slightly different approach to a more melancholic tone.

Albert-Wesker 3rd
2007-06-26, 20:19
I don't know...I personally sympathize with his original ideal and can see where he was coming from. It was an incredibly naive way of thinking, but I can see why he did what he did. Now the whole "I will become god of a new world" thing is a totally different story altogether. That's him being a bit nutty. lol. He wasn't a saint, but most people aren't.

I never hated him at first. But the best intentions can have the worst effects.

I can tell you the exact moment I started to hate him. And believe it or not, it is not L's death. I really did not care about him.

It was Ray Penbars. The way he tricked him, promised that if he did what he was told he would not kill him and then did. I hated Light after that. Then when he killed his Fiance that threw me over the edge. I was hoping that L would kill Light just to see if the killings would stop. Ray is what got me and his fiance threw me over the edge. Those two are the two characters in the entire story that I only truly felt bad about. I mean when his father died, L, Watari, and the other innocents(Cops and reporters) I was sad, but by that point I was, how you say, already imune to innnocents getting killed.

One thing that also bothered me was the US's reaction. Thirteen U.S. citizens die, twelve being FBI and one ex-FBI and they quit investigations. I would think that in real life had this happened, the U.S. would have sent Federal Secret Service or CIA after Kira.

kauldron26
2007-06-26, 21:34
so we are supposed to feel sympathetic to a mass murderer who made genocide his hobby and life long goal. The ending of the manga was better, Light should be portrayed as a pathetic piece of trash... not a fallen hero. I loved how the manga ending had Light begging and pleading for his life... i love how he author showed that Karma was a bitch to the core. a tough bitch. but fair as hell. ~sigh~ remember that he is evil... we all love tony soprano and vic mackey but c'mon those mudafuckas are horrible people and Karma shoulda bit them in the ass. The same goes for light...

Dagger
2007-06-26, 21:47
I really don't think the anime portrays Light as a fallen hero or anything ridiculous like that. He still begs Mikami, Misa, Takada, anyone. He still ends up totally disillusioned. Moreover, the voice acting had a HUGE impact in this episode. Miyano's broken laughter, screams & wails brought out Light's patheticness just as strongly as the more extended dialogue in the manga.

StrawHatLuffy
2007-06-26, 22:06
Hmm... I'd have preferred if they had shown the more dramatic ending in the manga. At least the anime had been a rather faithful adaptation.

Boris Moskovitz
2007-06-26, 22:19
I think I felt a little something back there. Can't believe I nearly cried for this asshole.

Anyway, here's a little something for you guys. Don't check it unless you've seen the episode.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/therobinator/1182897320229.gif

...And thus, from the beginning to the end, Mikami was the true personification of the word EPIC. :D:D:D

mist2123
2007-06-26, 22:19
I wish he was sucessful and created the 'new world'. I really like how twisted his justice(like me).

kauldron26
2007-06-26, 22:27
I wish he was sucessful and created the 'new world'. I really like how twisted his justice(like me).

so im assuming u like folks like Jim Jones and Idi Amin. their justice was pretty similar to light. They believed in their justice and thought they were doing the right thing.... right?? what exactly is the difference between Jim Jones and Light?? or Amin?

zalem
2007-06-26, 22:35
These are fictional characters. No one is talking about what they would think if he was a real person. Sometimes, you just happen to like a fictional character that's a villain and would like to see something other than the typical "good guy wins" scenario. That's all. Really, I think you need to just agree to disagree on this one. ^^;;; You hate Light. Fine. But other people don't.

I wouldn't have minded seeing Light win, but I knew that wasn't going to happen because it would totally defeat the purpose of the story.

Shinmaru
2007-06-26, 22:49
so we are supposed to feel sympathetic to a mass murderer who made genocide his hobby and life long goal. The ending of the manga was better, Light should be portrayed as a pathetic piece of trash... not a fallen hero. I loved how the manga ending had Light begging and pleading for his life... i love how he author showed that Karma was a bitch to the core. a tough bitch. but fair as hell. ~sigh~ remember that he is evil... we all love tony soprano and vic mackey but c'mon those mudafuckas are horrible people and Karma shoulda bit them in the ass. The same goes for light...

I don't think Light is portrayed as a fallen hero at all. He dies broken, alone, and, judging from the look on his face at death, completely aware of what a horrible waste his years with the Death Note were. The ending did a great job of presenting Light as a pathetic, tragic character - he could've been a truly great man but instead chose to become an inhuman monster under the guise of "good," only regaining some semblance of what made him human in the first place in the throes of his inevitable death, away from the Death Note.

What Light did was evil, and that evil destroyed him. Kira, an immensely popular figure the world over, died with a whimper in an old, rundown warehouse. He definitely did not die a hero's death.

Boris Moskovitz
2007-06-26, 23:06
he could've been a truly great man but instead chose to become an inhuman monster under the guise of "good"
While I'm definitely agreeing on how Light wasn't exactly the nicest person in the world over the course of Death Note, I wouldn't really say he actively "chose" to become "evil". It's not like he woke up in the morning, thinking "Hmmm... I think I'm gonna become a mass murderer!" His descent as a human being was very much a gradual process, and not one that he was especially aware of until it was too late.

-Breakthrough-
2007-06-26, 23:30
I must say~
I loved it better than the manga to be honest, It was probably because Light was already becoming pitiful enough to beg for Takada, Mikami, or Misa's help they decided to cut out the part begging his life from the manga, aka known to some of you take it as humor, "Swimming Lessons."

Reasons I why I liked this one better was because pretty much Light's death scene in the anime had more of a reflection, or a look back to it, as he struggles looking back to how his life was before it all happened and he was less bitchy in his death in the anime.

No "Ryuuk! Do something11!11" Here right? He actually, in a way didn't accept or loved what was happening to him but knew inside it was over and simply quietly accepted it in the last seconds of his life. And those scenes with Misa were done beautifully as well.

Ja-Y-Ce
2007-06-26, 23:44
Sigh, that's the end of DN... Gotta wait for the L movie next yr to have my "DN fix"...Sigh...

philmein
2007-06-27, 00:05
What "L movie"?

zalem
2007-06-27, 00:14
This L movie:
http://wwws.warnerbros.co.jp/L-movie/

It's supposed to be a prequel story about L...so there's actually nothing about the Death Note in it.

Yushi
2007-06-27, 00:31
I also don't think the ending was supposed to make us sympathize with Light. In the manga they made him the 'last boss' who does 'MWHAHAHA' and then you know, gets defeated and do the whole "NOOOOOOOOO" kind of thing. Really gave you the feeling of 'winning and losing'. At least that's what I felt.
But the anime protrayed him as a human in the end. It's like when you strip away all that power (the death note), he is just a helpless human. Was he showing regrets? Fear? Regrets that he could have been more ruthless? We'll never find out, and I think it's important that this remains a mystery (that way we wont' know if he was 'truely evil' or not.) The ending of the anime didn't give me a 'win or lose' feeling, it just made me go "wow...nobody wins." Especially seeing how the police crew reacted, and how Light reacted, and you will know that nobody really 'won' the game.

philmein
2007-06-27, 01:55
Wow, a movie about L eh?
I honestly wished it was an anime version though. Oh well.

Anyways, the ending was phenomenal. It was as predicted and who the loser was. Don't hate me or anything, but I did feel sorry for Light regardless of his nature.

RecurringNightmare
2007-06-27, 02:32
I honestly wished it was an anime version though. Oh well.

Ditto.

I enjoyed the ending. They put the last scenes together well, and formed something that rivaled the manga's ending (For me at least.).

Now, I can only wonder with the rise of DN's popularity if this series, as a whole, is gonna start to get seriously "milked." We're already getting another DN movie, and I'm sure that they're not just gonna drop it there (If they let this rest there, although it won't be a first, it will be a momentous achievement... people tend to love beating horses to death when there is money to be made.). I can only hope that what they produce in the future is quality stuff because I'd hate to have this series ruined after it has done so well.

rageguy
2007-06-27, 02:38
so what is "swimming lesson"?

Boris Moskovitz
2007-06-27, 02:42
so what is "swimming lesson"?
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/2198/1177936400311if9.jpg

myopius
2007-06-27, 02:51
I enjoyed it. It's different from the manga but I didn't dislike anything major.
I missed the absence of the flashback to the first episode, but I'm sure we all do.

eXistenZ
2007-06-27, 03:04
If im understanding this correct, Light had years left on his life. So basically he would have died in prison. Possibly 60 to 70 years down the road.

No other shinigami couldve have ended his life earlier except ryuk, which is the contract between shinigami and human death note user.

If light had been smarter, he would have used his own blood from the beginning, when he pulled the note from his watch, it was the act of drawing the pencil or pen that drew the attention and why matsuda shot him. at least from my point of view.

Question you should ask yourselves tho is, if you had access to a death note, would you do the same as Light? Possibly knowing that in the end, you will die because of its use.

Draender
2007-06-27, 03:44
The ending was full of symbolism.

During the credits Misa's part... When they focus in on her she's on a building and when she closes her eyes you can see the factory towers in the background. I believe it is all symbolic because it may be among Lights last thoughts. After the image of L he closes his eyes.

It seems that they want Misa's fate to be left open since they only suggest that she commits suicide. If the death note and shinigami did not exist Misa would have been killed by the stalker. She used her second chance to go on a murder spree. You have to remember all of the innocent people she killed to get her Kira tape aired on Sakura television; She did this before she knew Light just so she could meet Kira. If she died to follow Light into the afterlife it isn't much of a tragedy.

Personally, I thought they were setting up to let Misa escape a bad end; I was hoping someone who had used the death note could have found redemption.

shakildwz
2007-06-27, 03:56
Hmm...

Something is odd about how Mikami died...

That looked like an obvious death note written suicide rather than a real one. But who killed Mikami... Was it Light thinking he would of won and have him killed... or was it Near...

Those who haven't read the manga, there is an extra chapter which shows what happans afterwards... Matsuda has a thoery where he thinks Near wrote out Mikami's death by also writing the details that he wouldn't check to see if the note book was real or not before he came to Yellow Brick.

hmmm ;o

Rem and Ryuk
2007-06-27, 04:39
I just don't like how obvious everything was. I knew that Near replaced the notebook beforehand, and I knew that Kira would completely lose. I wish i wasn't able to predict it so easily, I've never been able to predict this series and the one time I can it's the ending? Very disappointed in that. They just made it TOO obvious with the way Light put everything on the line in the last episode, he was guaranteed to lose. I wish the whole scenario was done differently, to make it more of a surprise, and give it more of "WHOA, that was crazy, so THATS how Near predicted what Light did" rather than this feeling that Light only lost because of Mikami's disobeying, something that is way out of his character (at least the character the anime portrayed of him) Mikami was also calculating, calm and collected (when he's not writing names down) and I just find it REALLy hard to believe he would panic and act out of Kira's orders. Kira was "restricted' since the moment Mikami met him and Mikami NEVER once had the urge to act out of line, and somehow with Tekada he randomly did? I just don't see it in his character. Feels like a cop out to get Near to win to me. I wish Near could have figured it out some better way. It's not like Melo was smart either, there's no way Melo would know about Mikami ,a nd if he did, there's no way he thought "let me do this so Mikami can act out of line and reveal the existence of the a false deathnote."

Or maybe someone can explain it to me? What was Melo thinking when he kidnapped Tekada? What did he hope to gain? I just find it unfair that L always got the bad luck end of things against Kira, but Near and Melo get the good luck.

The episode was fun to watch, and I like how Ryuk became involved again, but if Light had to lose, I wish he would have lost a more fitting way.

I do really like how upset Matsuda got with Light though, because he always believed in him, he must have felt the most betrayed. I feel like they did a lot of benefit to Matsuda's character in this one.

eez
2007-06-27, 04:47
It's "evil" to compare, but the ending was absolutely horrible compared to the manga...

What else can I say.. an extremely disappointing cop-out.

I've got one more: rubbish.

Maes Hughes
2007-06-27, 05:04
Didn't enjoy the last episode very much, feel very disappointed after watching that. I'll give it 8/10 for it being the ending of the greatest anime in existence.

I wish they had put in the more dramatic manga ending with Ryuk writing Light's name down in front of him and watching him beg for his life. Viewers wouldn't have known if Ryuk was going to kill Near or Light, it would've been a fitting final twist an anime with more twists than most others.

rageguy
2007-06-27, 05:17
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/2198/1177936400311if9.jpg

OMFG i actually laughed out loud. there wasnt enough swimming lesson in the last ep!

atilim
2007-06-27, 05:27
I thought that it was a good eps, worth 10 points. Light had a more decent ending unlike the manga he didn't beg for his live, he died while fighting and if it wasn't for Ryku killing him perhaps things would have turn't different in the anime.

Whitemoon648
2007-06-27, 05:59
Am i one of the few people who actually liked the Anime ending better?. Manga Ending was too cruel. Well For one Thing i liked how Mikami Stayed Loyal to Kira untill the very end. In Manga at the end Mikami turns back on Kira.

Also i prefered how there were actually some feelings of regret in Ryuku for having to kill kira ( i think he would rather for light to win than lose). I liked it how Ryuke didnt call Kira a sore loser, and just said " Light you have lost".

Squawks
2007-06-27, 06:39
...rather than this feeling that Light only lost because of Mikami's disobeying, something that is way out of his character (at least the character the anime portrayed of him) Mikami was also calculating, calm and collected (when he's not writing names down) and I just find it REALLy hard to believe he would panic and act out of Kira's orders. Kira was "restricted' since the moment Mikami met him and Mikami NEVER once had the urge to act out of line, and somehow with Tekada he randomly did? I just don't see it in his character. Well, I think that Mikami was just jealous of Takada, simply because Light gave her more attention. And since he's always so extreme, I can actually see him lose his head and goes out to kill her.

You think that he freaking out is out of character? If you ask, Mikami knew damn well that he lost and that he might lose his "Kami." He didn't know what he would be without his God and that's probably why he freaked out? What Mikami did was strange for us to see, but it really gave him more dimension.

Great ending, I can't really complain, as I didn't read the manga. Although I read the ending just a minute ago, here. But I still like this ending too, it really tried to get you feel sorry for Light. It was nice to see L for a couple of seconds again, after all, he won in a way.

Scep
2007-06-27, 07:50
Not watching the preview was a good idea after all i guess.... so what mello did was to sacrifice himself so that Near's team could see the real death note? I won't say the ending is very dramatic, the manga was alot more dramatic ( i read it after i watched the anime ). He didn't die as pitifully in the anime though, i thought that was nice.

mist2123
2007-06-27, 08:02
It's "evil" to compare, but the ending was absolutely horrible compared to the manga...

What else can I say.. an extremely disappointing cop-out.

I've got one more: rubbish.

one thing horrible about the manga is its not animated:frustrated::heh:

Shiroth
2007-06-27, 08:06
Don't hate me or anything, but I did feel sorry for Light regardless of his nature.
I couldn't stop the tears flowing through out the whole episode --- so i seriously don't blame you. Its not right to see a man act like that and not feel bad for him, especially in his running away scene.

It pained me so much to see Mikami in that state. To see that the God he loved, to be a worthless man who thrown the blame at him. I'm so glad he didn't say what he did in the manga, that would have destroyed me.

Scep
2007-06-27, 08:18
The ending was pretty emotional too, walking through his past life. What would have happened if light had not taken the death note, etc. etc.

karumofin
2007-06-27, 08:20
wow, i went to a wiki and read how the manga ending was like and i can only say this last episode was pathetic. overall the second arc was completely useless, although i still like mello and near as characters, its jsut that the story was bad.

Vicious108
2007-06-27, 08:29
God damnit Light, being Kira one would think you could easily get a gun and bring it to the event thats going to decide whether you truly become a god or not. Would have loved to see him at least shoot Near in the head before dying, but no, that little bastard stayed alive, argh.

And how the hell did Mikami kill himself, I cant understand, did he have a knife or something? If he did then he should have tried to actually kill the guys who were restraining him...

Also, how exactly did Mello contribute to the whole switching the death notes? Near said that it was all because of him, but the only thing he really did was tell Near one of the rules was fake.

Well, all in all it was a good ending I suppose, Lights seiyu did an amazing job, but like its been said already, nothing unexpected happen, which in a series full of plot twists was kinda disappointing. I really wish Near had died though, cant stand him. -_-

Maes Hughes
2007-06-27, 08:36
Also, how exactly did Mello contribute to the whole switching the death notes? Near said that it was all because of him, but the only thing he really did was tell Near one of the rules was fake.

Mello kidnapping Takada revealed the location of the real Death Note - Near himself said Light's plan would've worked had it not been for Mello. Near suspected that Mello knew what he was doing; sacrificing himself in order to stop Kira.

It does go a little against Mello's character, he was determined to catch Kira before Near when he started. Maybe he started to see Near had the better chance?

mist2123
2007-06-27, 08:40
God damnit Light, being Kira one would think you could easily get a gun and bring it to the event thats going to decide whether you truly become a god or not. Would have loved to see him at least shoot Near in the head before dying, but no, that little bastard stayed alive, argh.

And how the hell did Mikami kill himself, I cant understand, did he have a knife or something? If he did then he should have tried to actually kill the guys who were restraining him...

Well, all in all it was a good ending I suppose, Lights seiyu did an amazing job, but like its been said already, nothing unexpected happen, which in a series full of plot twists was kinda disappointing. I really wish Near had died though, cant stand him. -_-

I think near was making mello move(he doesnt know) to find the real note.

Vicious108
2007-06-27, 08:41
Ah, I see, the whole kidnapping Takada forced Mikami to use the real Death Note, and thus Near was able to get it.

But yes, Mello would never sacrifice himself so Near could get Kira, thats totally out of character, but then again, they never really went into Mellos character... and that kidnapping didnt really make much sense before. Maybe he did mean to stop Kira that way, but bleh, should have been the other way around, dead Near and alive Mello. >_>

MihawkXGP
2007-06-27, 09:01
From a unbiased point of view, the ending was...Okay. The Music they used when Light was running away...the flashback when he was younger...it was really emotional..very sad. The Ryuk talking to him..how they had interesting times...how they killed their boredom...

Now from the other part of me, i really hate the ending. I wanted Light to win and create the new world. I really hate it so much.

I can't say i'll ever watch the Final episode again. It pains me too much to see Light's end.

Overall, it was a fantastic series. Best i've ever seen. No anime has ever kept me so excited and glued to the computer screen. I doubt there will ever be anything like it.
It'll be hard to fill the void Death Note leaves behind for me.

:sad:

(That seems rather over-dramatic yes.....)

mist2123
2007-06-27, 09:27
From a unbiased point of view, the ending was...Okay. The Music they used when Light was running away...the flashback when he was younger...it was really emotional..very sad. The Ryuk talking to him..how they had interesting times...how they killed their boredom...

Now from the other part of me, i really hate the ending. I wanted Light to win and create the new world. I really hate it so much.

I can't say i'll ever watch the Final episode again. It pains me too much to see Light's end.

Overall, it was a fantastic series. Best i've ever seen. No anime has ever kept me so excited and glued to the computer screen. I doubt there will ever be anything like it.
It'll be hard to fill the void Death Note leaves behind for me.

:sad:

(That seems rather over-dramatic yes.....)

I also wanted him to win but what can we do about it maybe create a doujinshi of light winning and OWNING them all:heh:
I think ryukk could have put the light will die in 15 days(what is written in the note cannot be changed) and light will have 15 days to kill em and find a sucessor

Scep
2007-06-27, 09:46
Ah, I see, the whole kidnapping Takada forced Mikami to use the real Death Note, and thus Near was able to get it.

But yes, Mello would never sacrifice himself so Near could get Kira, thats totally out of character, but then again, they never really went into Mellos character... and that kidnapping didnt really make much sense before. Maybe he did mean to stop Kira that way, but bleh, should have been the other way around, dead Near and alive Mello. >_>

Not really, he didn't intentionally sacrifice himself. He didn't know that takada knew his real name, and he didn't know that takada had a death note.

I think that aside from the plot, tamaki-senpai's voice acting =PURE WIN. I also like how madhouse did the scenes, the blue and red contrasts ( and yellow matsuda XD )

Albert-Wesker 3rd
2007-06-27, 09:53
Damn a lot of Light lovers here.

Boris Moskovitz
2007-06-27, 09:57
I wouldn't say that people love him as a character as much as they find him a fascinating one. It would have definitely been interesting to see the kind of world Yagami would have pulled off had he won out the battle of the wits.

Albert-Wesker 3rd
2007-06-27, 10:17
You need to quit taking PCP. That stuff is going to kill you.

4as
2007-06-27, 10:24
Im so freakin disappointed in Light.
No plan C? Not even plan B?!

I personally would order Mikami to rip one page from the notebook, just in case when hidden one gets stolen or something.
Also, probably writing names of ppl I know to die few minutes after the meeting time, just in case something goes wrong.

Ending was cool, to bad we didnt got to see how the world turned out with out Kira.

zalem
2007-06-27, 10:33

I personally would order Mikami to rip one page from the notebook, just in case when hidden one gets stolen or something.
Also, probably writing names of ppl I know to die few minutes after the meeting time, just in case something goes wrong.

Ending was cool, to bad we didnt got to see how the world turned out with out Kira.

What annoyed me is why Mikami had to go to the bank to use the Death Note to kill Takada in the first place? Why on earth didn't he have a piece of emergency Death Note ripped out and hidden somewhere more easily accessible? Light used to do that all the time (hell, he still did it at the very end with his watch), so why didn't Mikami do something similar?

Vicious108
2007-06-27, 10:35

Well, I for one only found myself to be one in this final episode, it made me realize how much I wanted him to suceed, despite thinking of him as a sick bastard throughout the series.

Maybe its because I cant stand to see Near win, if it were L I would have been satisfied, but not that little chibi wannabe version of him. -_-

^_Usagi_^
2007-06-27, 10:38
I can't belive it's finally the end ;_;
I just hope they dont make any sad sequal & ruin a nice series, ( like that... Love Note doujin or smth, where there was actualy an eraser to bring back the ones killed with the DN ), but heck... I'm sure they will, cause it earns money

Boris Moskovitz
2007-06-27, 10:38
What annoyed me is why Mikami had to go to the bank to use the Death Note to kill Takada in the first place? Why on earth didn't he have a piece of emergency Death Note ripped out and hidden somewhere more easily accessible? Light used to do that all the time (hell, he still did it at the very end with his watch), so why didn't Mikami do something similar?
Because Ohba was sick of Death Note and wanted to put it to rest. :p

ItachiGT
2007-06-27, 10:39
YOu don't really understand it, well pathetic that Kira himself didn't understand it at the end.
It doesn't matter if he died or not. His world has already been created!
So Near does win this battle against his Kira in outsmarting him.
But doesn't matter at all cause in the end KIRA won and he will be the new KAMI-Sama!!

Draender
2007-06-27, 10:52

He may have had that piece of death note in the hidden compartment he made in his wallet. That was what he used to kill Naomi. Even if he did, because of his injuries, he could not write anymore.

Anyway, Near couldn't have won if he had not isolated Light in that warehouse and surrounded him by people who opposed Kira.

zalem
2007-06-27, 10:57
He may have had that piece of death note in the hidden compartment he made in his wallet. That was what he used to kill Naomi. Even if he did, because of his injuries, he could not write anymore.

Anyway, Near couldn't have won if he had not isolated Light in that warehouse and surrounded him by people who opposed Kira.

I wasn't talking about Light. He had the spare Death Note in his watch at least so he was always on top of things as far as that goes. But Mikami.....he didn't have any spare Death Note around. Which seems really silly to me. He could have totally avoided going to the bank to use the Death Note had he simply had a spare piece of DN hidden away. Then Light's plan would have totally worked because Near would never have known where the real Death Note was.

But I suppose it's like someone else mentioned....the writer just wanted to end the series and didn't quite think everything through completely.

nightengale5385
2007-06-27, 10:58
WOW!! I'm still in tears! I can't believe it's over:(:(. Anime ening was much better than the manga IMO. Big thanks to the fansubbers;)!

As for the swimming lessons.....
SWIMMING LESSONS!FUCK YEAH!
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/nightengale5385/1182954508286.gif

Albert-Wesker 3rd
2007-06-27, 11:00
Hated Light at the Ray episode, hated him through out the series, hate him in his death.

Albert-Wesker 3rd
2007-06-27, 11:01
WOW!! I'm still in tears! I can't believe it's over:(:(. Anime ening was much better than the manga IMO. Big thanks to the fansubbers;)!

I actually laughed out loud!

quina
2007-06-27, 11:04

found that on 4chan too.
I freaking lol'ed

digitalmaster287
2007-06-27, 11:48
I wish that they combined both endings together to make a super ending that would please everyone. To me, the ideal ending would have everything the same in the manga till Ryuk writes Light's name. THEN, the whole flashbacks would start, showing how kind Light was, an alternate future where Light didn't take the Death Note, then Light would die. That way, it would have the final twist in the manga (whose name Ryuk writes down) and it would have the moral of the anime shown in flashback form: "Absolute power corrupts absolutely"

Vicious108
2007-06-27, 11:48
Btw, I just realized Mikami did THAT with a freaking pen...

Which is... pretty ridiculous.

Kanon
2007-06-27, 11:50
The anime ending was pretty nice. You can tell the anime staff are probably Light fans, Light's death is nowhere near as pathetic as in the manga, it's even pretty nice and sad. They also managed to surprise me with Mikami's death, that was a huge WTF and gory moment :heh:

What was really missing is the epilogue, the anime really ended too abruptly. I hope they'll make it as a DVD bonus or something.

falling_amatsubu
2007-06-27, 11:54
NOOOO! its over. i nearly cried. not that i LOVE Light or anything, its just plain sad when people are corrupted and then shut down. :(

Although the ending was drastically different form the manga, it followed the anime's melancholic style better and for that I LOVE IT.
The bg music was grand and the animation is the best ive seen of the series yet. :D

poor misa.

Overall, Death Note has pwnd all other anime ive watched so far this year.
I dont know how I can replace it :rolleyes:

Lendial
2007-06-27, 11:57
i REALLLYYY wanted light to win and create a "Better" but not perfect world. i REALLLYYy wish he was able to at least kill near. really sad ending. it anoys me that mikami didnt have DN pieces like light did. it also anoys me why he didnt kill everyone in the room using the DN ahead of time so even if mikami's didnt work theyd all be dead except for near. and surely the 2 can take down a little kid.

Albert-Wesker 3rd
2007-06-27, 12:45
If only Light or Mikami had a gun. Would have made things alo9t easier.

I could see it now.

Near: See, I told you we would not die, I switched both the real and fake notebook.

Mikiami: Switch this!

*Pulls out a gun and wastes them all.*

*Light then goes into his evil laugh of victory.*

superzombie23
2007-06-27, 12:48
This watched this ending, then I read the manga version. Both are equal in terms of how good they are I think, and I prefer the anime ending. Anyhow, can anyone explain to me why Misa does her stuff in the ending. Didn't she forget everything when she gave up her Death Note?

psycho bolt
2007-06-27, 12:49
Hmm different ending in the manga, but definately more dramatic. I feel somewhat between relieved and sad that Light died.

isolatedincidence
2007-06-27, 12:54
I am thankful my local B&N released volume 12 two weeks early so I could compare the endings... I think the anime made Light out to be more pitiable. The music, the montages, the lack of begging. They cut out his final desperate, evil act of telling Ryuk to kill everyone. Some out of character moments toward the end, but over all a very good series. The atmosphere and effects really brought the manga to life.

Also, thank the gods they condensed the Higuchi stuff...

Tasdern
2007-06-27, 12:55
Just a so-so ending. It really seems tacked on. For the entire series, we got to see and figure things our but in the last ep, all we get is an extended exposistion.

I have no idea how the manga ended but I was hoping for something like this:

Near double crosses and exposes Light but it was all worked out by Light and written up that way. Near and everyone dies. But Light does not know that Near had a copy of the real note and wrote Light's and Misa's name in the book to die in one week.

superzombie23
2007-06-27, 13:02
Can someone tell me why Misa was acting all emo in the end? I thought she forogot everything after she forfeited the Death Note :confused:?

Shiroth
2007-06-27, 13:05
Can someone tell me why Misa was acting all emo in the end? I thought she forogot everything after she forfeited the Death Note :confused:?
But she still loved Light. Knowing about his death would drive her to kill herself.

superzombie23
2007-06-27, 13:14
But she still loved Light. Knowing about his death would drive her to kill herself.
I guess the Death Note doesn't make you forget everything.

mist2123
2007-06-27, 13:17

The note only makes u forget about the note it self not the memories u gain after u got the note.

Shiroth
2007-06-27, 13:18
No you're not understanding.

She only lost her memories of the death note & everything to do with it, not her feelings for Light.

superzombie23
2007-06-27, 13:22
That's what I kind of meant. Sorry :p

Kinny Riddle
2007-06-27, 13:30
People, remember that no one here in their right mind would condone everything that Light does in the name of his brand of justice, so there aren't really any Light lovers here (save some yaoi fangirls). But there definitely is a grudging admiration of his brilliant evilness.

Sure he's an evil bastard, but he's our evil bastard. The fact that he's so brilliantly evil means that nothing short of a dramatic death would do. And it is in this respect that credit must be given to Madhouse for pulling off the ending in a much better way than the original manga. The way they showed Light's final 40 seconds in the manga was way too anti-climatic for an awesome anti-hero/villain.

mist2123
2007-06-27, 13:36
People, remember that no one here in their right mind would condone everything that Light does in the name of his brand of justice, so there aren't really any Light lovers here (save some yaoi fangirls). But there definitely is a grudging admiration of his brilliant evilness.

Sure he's an evil bastard, but he's our evil bastard. The fact that he's so brilliantly evil means that nothing short of a dramatic death would do. And it is in this respect that credit must be given to Madhouse for pulling off the ending in a much better way than the original manga. The way they showed Light's final 40 seconds in the manga was way too anti-climatic for an awesome anti-hero/villain.

What he did was real justice:frustrated:(I dont have a right mind:heh:).
I mean some criminal go to prison even though they killed alot of people they deserve to die:frustrated:

MihawkXGP
2007-06-27, 13:43

Yes, exactly. That is what i was thinking too.
Either that or he should have obtained the pictures of those people going to that warehouse before hand and controlled their actions...before hand..killing them. Leaving Near exposed and easy to take down.

mist2123
2007-06-27, 13:47

Light doesnt have a plan B , C cuz he knew he was going to win and why would he make a plan B if he knew he was going to win:heh: but mikami ruined his plan.

Albert-Wesker 3rd
2007-06-27, 13:47
I mean some criminal go to prison even though they killed alot of people they deserve to die:frustrated:

So FBI agents who are trying to catch a mass murderer? TV anchors who go against the word of Kira, Cops who are trying to help people in a TV station, a woman who just wants to know what happened to hurn fiance? A genious who is also trying to catch a mass murderer? They all died for justice? Their deaths were right?

That makes no sense.

mist2123
2007-06-27, 13:49
So FBI agents who are trying to catch a mass murderer? TV anchors who go against the word of Kira, Cops who are trying to help people in a TV station, a woman who just wants to know what happened to hurn fiance? A genious who is also trying to catch a mass murderer? They all died for justice? Their deaths were right?

That makes no sense.

They were standing in the way of justice. basically opposing it

zalem
2007-06-27, 13:49

Light's my favorite character...I really admire his brilliance and determination. BUT, I definitely do not think what he did was right. Maybe his original idea was understandable. I do sympathize with it. But, it was an impossible ideal to realize. In theory it's nice, but in practice...not so. We have death penalty in the US, but the thing is a person has a right to a trial by jury. A right to appeal if they lose that trial. Light, doesn't look at any evidence. He just sees a report on TV and makes his judgment there and then. Our system isn't perfect, but it certainly is more fair. I bet a hell of a lot of innocent people were killed by Light.

Kinny Riddle
2007-06-27, 13:50
There's no such thing as "real" justice.

The arbitrary justice in most of today's legal systems is formed by consensus among society and lawmakers, but is this justice "ultimate"? No one knows for sure, flawed it may be, though it is as fair as it can get in a rule of law society.

I dare not pretend to be holy and deny that if I have a DN, I'd probably execute "my own brand" of justice as well. It's kind of like the One Ring in LotR.

Edit: Just so nobody puts words into my mouth, I reiterate: No one in their right mind would condone what Light does in the name of his "justice".

Albert-Wesker 3rd
2007-06-27, 13:55

That was not justice. That was a power crave. Light said he wanted justice but he wanted control. Had he defeated Near, he would have fought his way to the top and most likely be a dictator.

Also so you have the outlook that the ends justify the means. So did Hitler, Stalin, and we could even add Bush in.

mist2123
2007-06-27, 13:56
There's no such thing as "real" justice.

The arbitrary justice in most of today's legal systems is formed by consensus among society and lawmakers, but is this justice "ultimate"? No one knows for sure, flawed it may be, though it is as fair as it can get in a rule of law society.

I dare not pretend to be holy and deny that if I have a DN, I'd probably execute "my own brand" of justice as well. It's kind of like the One Ring in LotR.

Edit: Just so nobody puts words into my mouth, I reiterate: No one in their right mind would condone what Light does in the name of his "justice".

If i had the DN i would probably have the same 'justice' like light its a lot faster than trials that u can BS. Also he treats all criminal fair(they all die innocent or culprit)

If I have a DN I would probably use it for global nuclear destruction

That was not justice. That was a power crave. Light said he wanted justice but he wanted control. Had he defeated Near, he would have fought his way to the top and most likely be a dictator.

Also so you have the outlook that the ends justify the means. So did Hitler, Stalin, and we could even add Bush in.

People dont change easily that was light is thinking that killing em is best idea
He did defeated near but mikami was the one who messed-up.

Heck if i have the means i would kill even person on the planet 'global clensing'

Albert-Wesker 3rd
2007-06-27, 13:58
I hope that you never get any mass murdering device.

But in the end Light loss. So as the saying goes 'What comes around, goes around'.

zalem
2007-06-27, 14:03

lol. That's exactly what I was thinking.

The Death Note really has that kind of corruptive influence. Can't say I wouldn't be tempted in the same way Light was if it fell into my hands. It's the kind of power that just doesn't belong in human hands at all.

Vicious108
2007-06-27, 14:03
He only lost because Mikami screwed up though.

Light > L

Light > Near

Light > Mello

Light > Near & Mello

Near & Mello > Light depending on Mikami

aurora51x
2007-06-27, 14:21
Light could just send Mikami photos and names of his team (Matsuda,Aizawa etc..) and have him write their names and control them to shoot the SPK team and then shoot themselves (he knew they would bring guns).
Mikami really should have kept an emergency death note page.
I don't understand why the creators of Death Note were so eager to end the series in such a way that would completely prevent more seasons if it was so popular..

Grey
2007-06-27, 14:35
People, remember that no one here in their right mind would condone everything that Light does in the name of his brand of justice, so there aren't really any Light lovers here (save some yaoi fangirls). But there definitely is a grudging admiration of his brilliant evilness.I certainly don't agree with many of his actions, but I'd condone all of it if it worked out in the end. What were those stats in the manga? Something like a 70% decrease in violent crime, and the eradication of war? That's not a bad start. Perhaps slightly implausible, but that's a different debate.

Lessee...on a timeline, I would oppose Light in the beginning, but then might be neutral or supportive once those stats were known.

It's easy to make a thought experiment that tests whether one would support Light or not: There are x innocent people, and y criminals who will die when you push a button. If you push the button, crime will decrease worldwide by 70% and war will be essentially non-existent for z years. Will you push the button?

Sub in suitable numbers for x, y, and z. 30, 5000, and 60 might be appropriate. And yeah, I'd probably push the button for those kind of numbers.

Dagger
2007-06-27, 14:40
People, remember that no one here in their right mind would condone everything that Light does in the name of his brand of justice, so there aren't really any Light lovers here....
I was right with you up to the yaoi fangirl point, haha. And actually I do agree with your sentiments 100%, but from following DN discussions online since the manga first started, I've had to concede that there are actually a lot of otherwise normal-seeming people, male and female, who totally condone Light's actions. It scares the hell out of me. In some respects, it offers more food for thought than the manga alone ever could. But really, based on what I've seen, fangirls--yaoi and otherwise--as a whole tend to be rather anti-Light... they don't forgive him for killing L or Mello. Let's not blame the fangirls for everything, now. :heh:

Mr JeburtO
2007-06-27, 14:57
AMAZING!!!!

i dont know why alot of people are complaining about this i loved it.

i have such a man crush on the guy ho does Light's voice :)

Claymore_Obsessed
2007-06-27, 15:06

I could see it now.

Near: See, I told you we would not die, I switched both the real and fake notebook.

Indeed.
I can't cope with that, it pisses me off so much. :frustrated:

I know firearms are banned in Japan, but the same applies to Near's group (no longer cops)
What's wrong with Light saying:"Mikami, do you know GTA? Just bring a MP5 and start pumping holes for good.
Or better yet, a flamethrower, so we can have Near's swimming lessons. In napalm! :thinker:"

Zek
2007-06-27, 15:07
Well, the real problem with Light's plan is that he's just a human. He has no means to identify criminals or their crimes. It was bad enough in the beginning when he assumed they were guilty based on news reports, but in part 2 his killings were based entirely on the word of random people on the internet posting pictures and names. I think the scene in Ep. 30 where some kid is threatening his classmates with death was particularly telling. Even if you believe that society would be bettered if all criminals in the world were to die, countless innocents must have been slaughtered in the process.

There's also the problem that the death penalty isn't as strong a disincentive as the show makes it out to be, and Kira's killings even less so. If people knew for certain that committing violent crimes would result in a fast, painless death from Kira, that would only stop the crimes that are committed by rational people without suicidal tendencies. Creating a perfect world from the death penalty alone is a naive dream.

Zek
2007-06-27, 15:08
Indeed.
I can't cope with that, it pisses me off so much. :frustrated:

I know firearms are banned in Japan, but the same applies to Near's group (no longer cops)
What's wrong with Light saying:"Mikami, do you know GTA? Just bring a MP5 and start pumping holes for good.
Or better yet, a flamethrower, so we can have Near's swimming lessons. In napalm! :thinker:"

Problem there being that it's destined to fail because none of their lifespans ended that day :P

medigo
2007-06-27, 15:17
Light could just send Mikami photos and names of his team (Matsuda,Aizawa etc..) and have him write their names and control them to shoot the SPK team and then shoot themselves (he knew they would bring guns).

Except you cant force people to act in such a way that they can lead to other people's deaths, so even if he sent the photo's, Mikami could not get rid of the SPK crew without actually seeing them and knowing their names.
Also after Takada died, Light lost his only contact with Mikami, so he couldnt order him to do anything anyway.

PS: I dont know if Mikami was aware that you can kill people with torn out pages...

Arkwright
2007-06-27, 15:22
To respond to a few specific posts on this thread...

He only lost because Mikami screwed up though.

Light > L

Light > Near

Light > Mello

Light > Near & Mello

Near & Mello > Light depending on Mikami

If you're going to set it up like that, then you have to make the change:
L > Light (without Rem)

Similar to how Light might have triumphed without Mello/Mikami's interference, L, basically acting alone, had Light outwitted a few times, and Light was saved only by his safety net of allies and the one-shot sacrifice of Rem. It's just that this time his friend hurt him instead of the larger number of times in which they helped him out of the fire.

I don't understand why the creators of Death Note were so eager to end the series in such a way that would completely prevent more seasons if it was so popular..
If I remember correctly, the reason given was that Mikami didn't want to have spare pages in his room or on his person in case they were searched by the police, which would provide clear evidence that he was Kira. I guess he wasn't smart enough or didn't have the chance to set up a device like Light's desk-bomb, though. There's also the possibility that he didn't want the police to search him and find out that you could use torn-out pieces of the note to kill.

And obviously, you can't use the Death Note to make someone shoot someone else. Also, Near did his arbitrary-length delay to cut down on the chance of people being controlled.

Otherwise, personally I think it's admirable to make a series with the intention of creating a clear-cut ending, rather than going on and on just to milk more money out of it. It's not like it stopped them from coming out with more DN stories anyway, though.

I could see it now.

Considering that there are 7 armed police officers in the room and only 1 attacker, that probably wouldn't last very long. And if he brought something deadly enough to get all of them, he'd kill Light too.

As for my opinion on the episode...

Didn't enjoy the last episode very much, feel very disappointed after watching that. I'll give it 8/10 for it being the ending of the greatest anime in existence.

I wish they had put in the more dramatic manga ending with Ryuk writing Light's name down in front of him and watching him beg for his life. Viewers wouldn't have known if Ryuk was going to kill Near or Light, it would've been a fitting final twist an anime with more twists than most others.

I agree with Maes Hughes. Overall, I liked it, but I ended up feeling somewhat disappointed considering how well episodes 25 and 36 were done.

There were certain key scenes I really thought had to be animated in episode 37.

1. The explanation of Mello's sacrifice and that, alone, Near and Mello can't match L, but together they represent the best parts of his technique. It was done well enough.

2. Light admitting he is Kira. Excellent job on the part of the VA.

3. Matsuda's indignation at being betrayed. Done well, seemed better than the manga, possibly by virtue of the differences in media.

4. The final twist. "Yeah... I'll write." And then, later, "I was expecting you to pull out one last trick, but now you leaned on me. You're finished."

This was my favorite part of the end of the manga, and I really wanted to see it in animated form. I didn't care about the lack of crawling and begging or anything, but the change to this scene made the ending not as effective. He could have ran outside after Ryuk wrote his name down, since he was doomed by then anyway. (Actually, I was wondering before this episode aired why Light didn't run outside while he was up against the wall and write Near's name on his watch there, since the door would probably still have been open from Mikami's entrance.) But the change to that scene gave this episode the feel that the anime adaptation of the second arc had avoided thus far, namely:

Character: This will happen, because of this.
*It happens.*

... Which could be boring at times, compared to the early part of the manga where the details of events were explained after they happened. As an example, when Mello met Near, I liked how they cut parts of that out because the manga went along the lines of:

Near: Mello will try to make contact with someone in the SPK. It will probably be Ridner.
*Mello makes contact with Ridner.*

And the anime cut that part out, making things more interesting and less repetitive. And yet, in this episode the big twist was removed, which made it somewhat disappointing for me, even if Light died in a more noble fashion (which could have been done anyway.)

5. The epilogue. This isn't as big of a deal, really.They made Matsuda's suspicion that Near wrote Mikami's name less likely by killing him earlier (Near probably wouldn't make Mikami die while they were there), but I thought they might at least show the candlelight procession in place of the ED. They also didn't cover whether or not the world went back to it's old ways, though the scene with Light's past was a decent replacement.

ShoyzX
2007-06-27, 15:24
Well, following everything that happened, Light could have won if he had one more peice of note hidden with him. After he escaped he could have written in blood the names of his team and all of the SPK names he saw on the Death Note that Near showed him. He could have also won if Ryuk would have just written all of their names instead of his, it would have provided no loss to Ryuk, seeing as how they would have had to kill someone afterwards for Ryuk to increase someone elses lifespan for Ryuk to die, and Near clearly stated that that killing wasn't his intentions, it would even have given Ryuk alot more of a Life Span, then Light could go back and get the 2 real Death Notes. :eyebrow:

MihawkXGP
2007-06-27, 15:27
Well, following everything that happened, Light could have won if he had one more peice of note hidden with him. After he escaped he could have written in blood the names of his team and all of the SPK names he saw on the Death Note that Near showed him. He could have also won if Ryuk would have just written all of their names instead of his, it would have provided no loss to Ryuk, and given him more of a Life Span, then Light could go back and get the 2 real Death Notes. :eyebrow:

Since he never ran away in the manga..that wouldn't have worked.

At least 2 members of the SPK had been identified already. Halle Lidner and Giovanni.....both those 2 could have been taken out before hand and the members of the Japanese police could have been taken out too. Just write a set time for the following day or the date in question and simple as that.

RecurringNightmare
2007-06-27, 15:31
It appears that we're still gonna be getting the epilogue.

Link (http://www.animeonline.com/index.php?page=news_details&action=details&id=102438)

Rem and Ryuk
2007-06-27, 15:37

Yeah for me, I totally disagree with light's reasoning. In real life I'm not even for capital punishment! But BECAUSE i'm so against it, I think it's very interesting to see a story and character like this, and for that reason, I wanted him to win. To see it happen in a storyline, it would be cool to me, despite how against it I am in real life.

I know a real good way Light could have won. Instead of putting it all on the line, he could have simply had Mikami show up with the notebook with the replaced page (the original one that got switched) and knowing it wont kill anyone, included Light's name on the list. Then, Mikami could simply yell out Near's real name, as well as the SPK members. Light would have all their faces and names, and their suspecting him would be lower since Mikami wrote his name down. Light could have then just used his watch in the bathroom sometime later to kill them all. IMO this is the kind of stategy Light used in the first half of the series but I suppose his pride and the corruption of the death note got to him as you could tell he became more and more crazy.

Grey
2007-06-27, 15:37
Well, the real problem with Light's plan is that he's just a human. He has no means to identify criminals or their crimes. It was bad enough in the beginning when he assumed they were guilty based on news reports, but in part 2 his killings were based entirely on the word of random people on the internet posting pictures and names. I think the scene in Ep. 30 where some kid is threatening his classmates with death was particularly telling. Even if you believe that society would be bettered if all criminals in the world were to die, countless innocents must have been slaughtered in the process.That may certainly be so. Of course, if Light bothered corroborating the internet pictures and names, they probably wouldn't have showed it anyway (since it doesn't really relate to moving the main plot along and may have involved relatively dull exposition). Didn't he siphon information from local police databanks through his unwitting father in the beginning? After becoming "L", it would be quite surprising if he didn't put energy/resources into researching these matters.

There's also the problem that the death penalty isn't as strong a disincentive as the show makes it out to be, and Kira's killings even less so. If people knew for certain that committing violent crimes would result in a fast, painless death from Kira, that would only stop the crimes that are committed by rational people without suicidal tendencies. Creating a perfect world from the death penalty alone is a naive dream.Well, it would stop a number of crimes by people with suicidal tendencies too (because they'd end up dead and unable to reoffend). Anyway, the percentage of crimes committed by people who want to die isn't all that high (afaik). Nevertheless, I agree that the death penalty historically is certainly not much more effective than other punishments--so there are plausibility issues. If one supposed that the Death Note would be more effective as a deterrent, how would that be so? I suppose it would have to be due to an amplification of the fear factor inherent in deterrents, caused by the widespread, instant, and final nature of the punishments (i.e. none of this probation or 5 years and you're out--commit robbery and you're dead). The Death Note, if used brutally enough as Light may have used it, could be a significant disincentive to criminal activity.

Still, Light's solution is indeed imperfect. It can only accomplish so much. Of course, if he was such a Super Genius, one might wonder what further steps he would have taken to revise the world. With his ability to threaten world leaders with death unless they complied to his demands, I have little doubt he would issue edicts to them in order to try and fix the world in other ways.

Hahaha, I can see it now: "Kira for a Green World!" "Kira issues order to world governments: 'devote a greater precentage of the budget to controlling pollution!'" Ah, those wacky dictators.

tsukari
2007-06-27, 15:49
I found it a good episode, but i think Light could've won. I always tought that Mikami would cause trouble. And i didn't like near... at all. So for me, it would've been a great ending if Light would've won, but i'm not that disapointed in the anime. It was a great show, it had it's great moments and it's horrible.
The ending scene, where Light dies, was really good. The animations were great, the emotions shown as well.
But i really can't imagine that it was the last episode (well, maybe there'll be an epilogue) i watched it, from episode one, for 37 weeks... and now it's over. I really think it's a great show, and i enjoyed it a lot.

Shiroth
2007-06-27, 15:51
It appears that we're still gonna be getting the epilogue.

Link (http://www.animeonline.com/index.php?page=news_details&action=details&id=102438)
We're gonna need a thread about this.

Claymore_Obsessed
2007-06-27, 15:57
Considering that there are 7 armed police officers in the room and only 1 attacker, that probably wouldn't last very long. And if he brought something deadly enough to get all of them, he'd kill Light too.

mmh... I'm not at peace yet...so here goes my rant....
Light should have been armed too:heh:

So it's 2 against 7. Matsuda aim seems really awful, he shot a zillion times and he got no critical hit, so I'd boast it's 2 VS 6,5. Ok it's still no good, but lets' see.

Near-tachi are equipped with handguns.
Light and Mikami should have used submachineguns (Light is a genius, he sourely could figure out a way to conceal one somehow) and assault rifles+flash-bang grenades (Mikami), and bulletproof vests (both of them).

Light was a tennis champ, a playboy, a world-class actor, basically he was good at everything, so I take a longshot and I claim he's a good shooter too.

They had surprise advantage, say Light has the first move, takes Near down and retreats/drops to the ground, general knowledge is, once the general dies, half the battle is won, or stuff like that.

Of course hell breaks loose "zomg boss is dead!!!", Mikami should toss his flashbangs and then mow down easy targets, and even if he is no good shooter he covers Light taking enemy fire, or at least he suicide-attacks to save Light...:heh:
and if they were to die nevertheless, at least they die while fighting, with weapons in hand, not swimming lessons :heh:

RecurringNightmare
2007-06-27, 16:07
mmh... I'm not at peace yet...so here goes my rant....
Light should have been armed too:heh:

So it's 2 against 7. Matsuda aim seems really awful, he shot a zillion times and he got no critical hit, so I'd boast it's 2 VS 6,5. Ok it's still no good, but lets' see.

Near-tachi are equipped with handguns.
Light and Mikami should have used submachineguns (Light is a genius, he sourely could figure out a way to conceal one somehow) and assault rifles+flash-bang grenades (Mikami), and bulletproof vests (both of them).

Light was a tennis champ, a playboy, a world-class actor, basically he was good at everything, so I take a longshot and I claim he's a good shooter too.

They had surprise advantage, say Light has the first move, takes Near down and retreats/drops to the ground, general knowledge is, once the general dies, half the battle is won, or stuff like that.

Of course hell breaks loose "zomg boss is dead!!!", Mikami should toss his flashbangs and then mow down easy targets, and even if he is no good shooter he covers Light taking enemy fire, or at least he suicide-attacks to save Light...:heh:
and if they were to die nevertheless, at least they die while fighting, with weapons in hand, not swimming lessons :heh:

That was probably the best idea from the start. He should have just brought in some guns and killed em from the start, but he, like Near, wanted to win beautifully.

I guess people got so obsessed with the fact that they had a special weapon that using other stuff was below them...

dark god
2007-06-27, 16:15
Absolutely terrible ending, really disappointing considering how well the rest of the series was done.

mycen
2007-06-27, 16:23
Madhouse should really considering putting in alternate endings for the final episode in the DVD releases. This way they get to please both the pro and anti-kira sentiment...

I can't wait for the special Death Note release ..... Need more DN ......

Zek
2007-06-27, 16:36
I think Matsuda is supposed to be a really good shot, he probably was aiming to disable Light before he decided to kill him after all.

Stark
2007-06-27, 16:49
Incredible ending for one the best series i've seen

Jaden
2007-06-27, 16:59
It couldn't really have ended in any other way, and that's why it was so sad. Light is finished but his legends live on. That's the closest a human can get to becoming god or immortal.

But still...Mikami did one masterful suicide by cutting his own aorta with a pen in one, quick stab. Whatever the man did, he did it with style. :D

mist2123
2007-06-27, 17:11
It couldn't really have ended in any other way, and that's why it was so sad. Light is finished but his legends live on. That's the closest a human can get to becoming god or immortal.

But still...Mikami did one masterful suicide by cutting his own aorta with a pen in one, quick stab. Whatever the man did, he did it with style. :D
I wanted to die like that:heh: blood splash:heh:

aurora51x
2007-06-27, 17:48
A thing that really annoyed me was that Light was really limited in his plan because he was working with the investigation team all the time, so he had to use Takada to contact Mikami.
I mean, it wouldn't look suspicious at all if a guy wants to make a private phone call or have some time by himself every once in a while.
Light could be in much more control of things if the creators wouldn't make him work and be with other people all of the time.
Light wasn't shown alone even once since the part where Near and Mello are introduced (as a matter of fact, he wasn't shown alone since the beginning of his masterplan, but that was because L chained him)

poolfan
2007-06-27, 18:51

You have the same idea of justice as my friend. Basically absolute power corrupts absolutely. When you have absolute power, it earns you the right to define what justice is. After all, you can kill off all the people who disagrees with you so only those that support you (most likely out of fear) stay alive.

Except you cant force people to act in such a way that they can lead to other people's deaths, so even if he sent the photo's, Mikami could not get rid of the SPK crew without actually seeing them and knowing their names.
Also after Takada died, Light lost his only contact with Mikami, so he couldnt order him to do anything anyway.

PS: I dont know if Mikami was aware that you can kill people with torn out pages...

Mikami knew (note the past tense) about using scraps of DN to kill since he was the one who sent Takda scaps of DN to use. He also knew the rule of puppeteer - he killed Takada in the exact same way as Light BUT NOT Takada (or else she could have puppeteered Mello to open the Truck before dying).

poolfan
2007-06-27, 19:02

My understanding is that when Takada was unable to move, she called Mikami and aked him to continue the judging. And when she gave him her address, that was the cue for him to physically go to her place and find the scraps of DN that he had sent her earlier and write on them. Mikami could have killed her using those scraps of DN. Instead he risked it and opened the safe to the bank despite knowing he was followed.

P.S About the "RESERVOIR DOGS STYLE" alternative ending to DN, Light could have told Takada to inform her bodyguards (Kira's supporters) the place and time of the meeting and have them kill everyone except him but seriously, DN being the most intelligent manga to date, would you all really be satisfied with such a cop out ending?

Super Ska Master
2007-06-27, 19:24
Light is not Rambo. o_O

He's obviously a thinker, not a fighter. I doubt he's ever even held a gun. I could never see him shooting someone.

Cooler1339
2007-06-27, 19:34
Death note ends when L dies for me. Losing to that little kid pisses me off. Light is the winner for realz.

Arkwright
2007-06-27, 19:34
If you really want to go into alternate endings...

As a Plan B, since he knew about the warehouse beforehand, Light could have just had Takada write down a large number of random people to arrive at the warehouse just after Mikami arrived in case his plan didn't work, and have them crowd the building allowing Mikami and Light to escape, since by then Mikami has seen everyone's name.

Something along the lines of:

(Random person/Criminal) - Heart attack - Travels to the Yellow Box warehouse in Daikoku Wharf at XX:XX:00 (just after Mikami is scheduled to get there) and stands inside for 10 minutes. Blocks anyone except Light Yagami and Teru Mikami from leaving the warehouse, and dies at XX:XX:00 + 10 minutes.

Repeat for enough people to swamp the warehouse. Then, Light and Mikami go somewhere else and write the names on Light's watch/other spare pages, and go back to collect the notebooks.

L had avoided that kind of scenario by putting Watari in a different location as an observer, but there was nothing really stopping it from working on Near.

Yukmouth
2007-06-27, 19:51
correct me if im wrong but wasn't there a 3rd DN (Rem's DN)???

and i think this episode is bad bad bad :mad:

Dagger
2007-06-27, 20:03
The two DNs at the end are Rem's and Ryuk's.

Ryuk also had Shidoh's, which Shidoh reclaimed earlier in the series.

poolfan
2007-06-27, 20:06
If you really want to go into alternate endings...

(Random person/Criminal) - Heart attack - Travels to the Yellow Box warehouse in Daikoku Wharf at XX:XX:00 (just after Mikami is scheduled to get there) and stands inside for 10 minutes. Blocks anyone except Light Yagami and Teru Mikami from leaving the warehouse, and dies at XX:XX:00 + 10 minutes.

LOL. That way both Light and Mikami will die

Irkalla
2007-06-27, 20:19
correct me if im wrong but wasn't there a 3rd DN (Rem's DN)???

and i think this episode is bad bad bad :mad:

If I remember right, a Shinigami came and took a dn.

Ok anyway.
I was really disappointed by this ending. They didn't show any of the last chapter which was imo the most important one to fulfill this story. I mean, they didn't show the talk between Matsuda and that other dude talking about how the crimes went up again and that Kira was actually worshiped by people.
Makes Light look like some psycho murderer with no reason for killing, which he actually had. I'm actually surprised they didn't show Mikami bashing Light, that he is no God just some kind of trash, since the anime seemed to show how Kira was really wrong in his doing.

The good thing about the anime ending was Light's death. He didn't beg Ryuk for his life, neither to kill those guys, and also the scene was really pretty. Well, this whole episode had a really nice animation, the best from all episodes. The music was great too in the end. Overall I would give it a 6/10.

zalem
2007-06-27, 20:41
There is going to be a Death Note special aired this summer, so I am assuming the final chapter will be covered then. :)

psycho bolt
2007-06-27, 21:17
There is going to be a Death Note special aired this summer, so I am assuming the final chapter will be covered then. :)

Um, where can I find this news? Oh wait what was the wording after the end of the credits? Is that what its saying?

FlashCE
2007-06-27, 21:23
Can someone explain how Mikami writing Takada's name made Light lose? I don't understand that part.

Erazor
2007-06-27, 21:24
“… everyone would pretend to be pure… we mustn’t do that… of course they’d say that. Of course that’s the correct answer, because humans have to act that way in public……. but in their hearts they are crying out for Kira to continue…” ~Kira

I would say that around 95% of the people in this world would use such an item as a Death Note to benefit themselves cunningly, killing only a few people here and there, the ones that you hate, the deaths that will benefit you, all sneakily so the rest of the society doesn’t catch up with you. Yet this is just as evil as Kira is, you just kept the quantity down, so what… and yes I truly believe only 5% of humanity will disregard the Death Note without use.

Yagami Light was special, he took it beyond. He knew what he was getting himself into, that he would grow a name in society and be acknowledged, but on top of that he knew the consequences and the possible death penalty which was warned to him by L (TV part in ep2).

This is why I think the “pathetic” Light in ep37 was very out of place, I think it was done obviously to create some emotional remorse for him (and prove a point maybe).
There were many times when Kira knew the possibility of an outcome like this, like the part where Light creates the flame trap in his draw, and Ryuk tells him he can burn his whole body and he replies “I’ve been taking risks from the very beginning, when I first received the death note”.
More importantly how calm was light when Ryuk first appeared and he thought he was going to die, that Ryuk would steal his soul or something he was actually prepared for the consequences of using the Death Note.

As for the outcome, the ending I can’t agree with it. The story line wasn’t as solid as it was in other parts of death note (Like at the start). Mikiami going out of his way to get the real death note to kill Takada was a little random, and executed solely because the storyline needed that situation.
Also how can someone as intelligent as Light be stupid enough to shout out “Near, It’s my win” no matter how big your confident or ego is, everyone will have that naturally doubt that it may NOT work, like the same feeling we had while watching it (well I sure did). If he hadn’t said that he would have only been in a sticky situation like he was with L, they not going to prove he was Kira solely from the fact his name wasn’t written on there (Even though Near says this, he was obviously going for the bigger evidence which he got).

As for Light having no remorse… yes he actually did, watch episode one again when he kills two people and walks through the alley way. “Humans lives should not be simply tossed away! Do I have the right to pass judgement on others?” He then decides to stick to his plans, beliefs, and hide these emotions.
So what if he killed Penbar and his Fiancée, it was them or him, and that’s what you get trying to go after such things as Kira, they knew their life was at stake.

As for some people saying how Light’s life would have been without the death note… no no no… Light was bored and sick of the rotten world from the start, he had these beliefs before, but not the power. I think the Death Note is the best thing he could have possible wished for, just like how he said to his mother “I have everything I need” (the Death Note)

If anyone is evil in DN, I think it would have to be Ryuk, The excitement and thrill he gets from this “game” surpasses Light’s. The way he laughs at other people’s situation is just pure evil. Then he kills Yagami Light who was somewhat like a friend, not to mention all those apples he gave him, simply because he can’t be bothered to wait for his natural death, but he's not human so it's ok?

psycho bolt
2007-06-27, 21:25
Can someone explain how Mikami writing Takada's name made Light lose? I don't understand that part.

He had to go to bank and get's Takada's death note or the real death note so he could continue judging. So Near finds out and plans to get it taken and have a fake replace it. I think.

zalem
2007-06-27, 21:40

Basically Mikami panicked because he wanted to kill Takada and thought that Light wouldn't be able to. He didn't have a spare piece of death note lying about so he had to go to the bank to get the real death note to write in Takada's name. This tipped off Near immediately because he went to the bank "out of schedule." Mikami is super organized and punctual...he never does things out of schedule or sequence. He always goes to the bank at a particular time on a particular day. So this random trip to the bank raised suspicions and they were able to find the real death note because of this.

Zetrio
2007-06-27, 21:44

Mikami doesnt have the real DN. One is already with aizawa, the other with near.

fullbleach
2007-06-27, 21:54
Oh my god I can`t believe what I saw but then again I didn`t think it was going to be that happy of an ending but it was sad to see his dream crushed.

psycho bolt
2007-06-27, 21:54
As for the outcome, the ending I can’t agree with it. The story line wasn’t as solid as it was in other parts of death note (Like at the start). Mikiami going out of his way to get the real death note to kill Takada was a little random, and executed solely because the storyline needed that situation.
Also how can someone as intelligent as Light be stupid enough to shout out “Near, It’s my win” no matter how big your confident or ego is, everyone will have that naturally doubt that it may NOT work, like the same feeling we had while watching it (well I sure did). If he hadn’t said that he would have only been in a sticky situation like he was with L, they not going to prove he was Kira solely from the fact his name wasn’t written on there (Even though Near says this, he was obviously going for the bigger evidence which he got).

Yeah Light shouting, "Near, It's my win" is kinda out of his line, but the thing is the Light truely believes he will succeed and that Near can't surpass L. At that time Light definetly changed, well it wasn't the first, but I believed he was getting reckless after L died.

As for Light having no remorse… yes he actually did, watch episode one again when he kills two people and walks through the alley way. “Humans lives should not be simply tossed away! Do I have the right to pass judgement on others?” He then decides to stick to his plans, beliefs, and hide these emotions.
So what if he killed Penbar and his Fiancée, it was them or him, and that’s what you get trying to go after such things as Kira, they knew their life was at stake.

Yeah Light did have remorse in the beginning. However, Light's behavior was changing throughout the story. He just became too greedy and selfish in the end. In the end, he was totatoly lost at mind, no longer to keep his calm self that his previous had. He was reckless. I believe he was also very desperate to win. When Light's life was passing by him, he realizes how different he is now than before.

As for some people saying how Light’s life would have been without the death note… no no no… Light was bored and sick of the rotten world from the start, he had these beliefs before, but not the power. I think the Death Note is the best thing he could have possible wished for, just like how he said to his mother “I have everything I need” (the Death Note)

If anyone is evil in DN, I think it would have to be Ryuk, The excitement and thrill he gets from this “game” surpasses Light’s. The way he laughs at other people’s situation is just pure evil. Then he kills Yagami Light who was somewhat like a friend, not to mention all those apples he gave him, simply because he can’t be bothered to wait for his natural death, but he's not human so it's ok?

Well, the whole story's theme focuses on morality. I believe that lots of people in the story did evil things. Remember the bussiness men?

Auro
2007-06-27, 22:15
That's it. Death Note has ended.

The middle was just too intense. To think that even though Near had altered the real notebook... I was still waiting there knowing that Light had the piece in his watch, thinking he could still win! That was so scary. It was still a fact of 'whose gonna win?'

Matsuda:
I like Matsuda in this episode, the way he fell to his knees when discovering Light was Kira.
He saved Near's life.
I liked his va as well, just his overall character... so full of betraly and hurt - I mean Light was really a friend to him, I think so. But then, how Light when on about his father and the others being fools, that was the real breaking point for Matsuda.

Mikami:
I also felt sorry for Mikami, I wonder what really went through his mind, during Light's worst-moments.
When it was clear that Light's plan had failed, Mikami cried out "I did everything you instructed!"
Although that suicide was a real wtf?! thing, I really thought it was a diversion for Light to escape... well it worked anyway.

Light:
I really don’t know who I wanted to win - I'm a Light supporter to some extent, but after he killed Ray I was like... I dunno, I didn't like him so much.
When I went through Lights behaviour in my mind, pf course, he killed the innocent people that stood in his way. Because they were really opposing to his new laws, his world. He had been given the opportunity to make it a better place.
But,
In this episode, it was so sad to see him like this... his first reaction once caught was "its a trick!"
I do like how Aizawa was the one to come up, hand on Lights shoulder and say "Light-kun, its already too late... Near has won."
The way Light stammered away from those handcuffs, with the scream-cry "stop..." his va did such a wonderful job, and so did the animators... Lights face when one minute had passed and everyone was alive, and then when Near said: "Yagami Light, L, Kira... you have lost."

But then, how he burst into laughter "that's right. I am Kira." The shadow he had cast on the garage(?) door, and the music they had as he described himself as "the god of the new world." I thought was well done, the camera angles, shadows, the poses...

After being shot by Matsuda, just seeing him squirm in that puddle, asking for Mikami, Misa, Takada to help him. It was just so painful to watch. This strong character saying "someone... it hurts..."

Running down that street with the sunset - it was such lovely animation for such a strong characters' weakest moment. Those visions of his earlier self, showed just what had become of him. And then Ryuk's voice as he continued to run, while the taskforce continue to try and find him. Well, Ryuk showed no emotion whatsoever, no remorse, but of course - he is a shinigami.~
The ending with Light lying on those stairs, the last thing he sees is L standing there. I was hoping if Light was going to die that we would actually see L - it wasn't the first vision Light had had of L. Though, this time, it was L watching Light die. Interesting though, we didn't get to see L's expression... I wonder what it would have been?

Interesting Notes:
Really, first you could say if it wasn't for Mikami, Light would have won, in the end it was Mikami writing Takada's name... if it wasn't for that, Near said himself he wouldn't have thought of the fake book.
But really, I think the mistake was Light's... I mean Mikami was too punctual. I suppose really, that helped in Lights ultimate plan (the fake notebook) but still they were suspicious of Mikami's move to the bank the second time that month.

Through the series I think I've heard a plane noise (as in taking-off) 3 times.
1) When Light got his memories back
2) Ep 36 where Near says "we wont die, I modified the notebook." We thinking "yes everyones safe!" then Light thinking "just as planned!"
3) When Light escapes out the door after Mikami doing suicide.
~ Just thought I'd randomly throw that out there, I just wonder if they used it for the big 'turning point' although now the 3rd time... well...

L was usually a step ahead of Light, whereas Mello and Near seemed to be just behind.
I really like how Near admitted that he nor Mello could surpass L - but really together they could, well they did. Near did need Mello, otherwise Light would have been right "Near, your inferior to L."

As for manga-vrs-anime ending. (I've been reading the manga only after seeing the anime) ... I like a bit of each. I agree it would have been nice to have combined them.
Especially:
I don't so much care for the Matsuda suspecting Near thing. Its a nice add on, but really what I liked best was the world returning to what it was before Kira. But really the ending, with the kira worshipers. To me, its like Light/Kira really did become a god. He is not on the world and now he has his own worshipers, maybe a religion but there is no fact to that at all. He really did become a god.

Wow.

Death Note will forever be my no 1 favourite series! That's for sure.
Well, now to look forward to the second movie, the games, re-watching it in dub and the L movie.

Hisoka??
2007-06-27, 22:15
You have the same idea of justice as my friend. Basically absolute power corrupts absolutely. When you have absolute power, it earns you the right to define what justice is. After all, you can kill off all the people who disagrees with you so only those that support you (most likely out of fear) stay alive.

Mikami knew (note the past tense) about using scraps of DN to kill since he was the one who sent Takda scaps of DN to use. He also knew the rule of puppeteer - he killed Takada in the exact same way as Light BUT NOT Takada (or else she could have puppeteered Mello to open the Truck before dying).

actually it appears most legal systems around have the mindset of obstruction of justice = guilty too.

so i won't say his way of thinking is wrong or weird. obstructing the cops in their duties or covering for a robber is illegal too if i;m not wrong

zalem
2007-06-27, 23:02
Um, where can I find this news? Oh wait what was the wording after the end of the credits? Is that what its saying?

It was mentioned earlier in the thread. It was announced after the credits, but it seems the RAWs out there cut that part out.

[edit] It was also announced here: http://www.animeonline.com/index.php?page=news_details&action=details&id=102438

Hazelshock
2007-06-27, 23:13
I would liked to see the ending of the manga animated instead of the ending they created, although not bad but would of prefered the other

maverickudo
2007-06-28, 00:41
R.I.P. Yagami Light aka: Kira, second "L", God of Justice

u effin' massive psycho

i was expecting more too for the ending ...like a bit more from the manga. i'm not saying it was horrible..just..well i rushed.

but it was so cute...L shows up as a ghostie for us at the end...and for Light. awww :]

medigo
2007-06-28, 01:56
about Light shouting out his victory..
he's done that in the past too (Naomi, L)
Just that at those times, the people actually died...even though with Naomi he could not be sure she would be affected

xPresagio
2007-06-28, 03:06
heh, so that's how Death Note ends..

In my mind, I always assumed that the story would conclude in a more obvious way:

Light would have painfully concluded, that to achieve a world with no crimes and punish the offenders, he would have to kill every person in the world (as it's ingrained in the people to use and abuse of any advantage over others, and that the only element that prevents it, is FEAR).

Why? Because even if he did manage to achieve it through fear (notion of God), such world would not last, as he has a finite time and delegating the ownership would most than likely sooner or later become the doom of humankind.

Even more: he would realize that to achieve such goals, he would have to also punish the worst criminal of them-all: the one who took the role of being judge and punisher - a mass murder.

Thus, by killing himself, he would have accomplished the task delegated by the true/original L: to stop Kira, and become his successor.. :cool:

------------------------------------

PD. Still, it was a somewhat good ending for a good story. Unfortunately, as the time passed, the series had a lot of plot holes -like how L didn't set the "alarm" (upon his death) to send files with a copy of all his notes about the case to the orphanage, or at least hints on where to find them . That would given Near/Mello, the upper-hand to defeat Light quickly. Not even mention the fact that the ONU and all the countries left L to do as he pleased (without even sending weekly reports), instead of doing their own investigations in parallel/secret.

After all, there was always the chance that "L" could be seduced or blackmailed by whomever hold the alias of "kira".

At the end, neither side were clever enough to have a backup plan.

shakildwz
2007-06-28, 03:13
Why didn't Mikami have a ripped out page of the death note on him like Light to kill Takada instead of going to the bank knowing he is being watched and being told not to make any moves intil the meeting date by God? Why would you disobey a direct order from God?

It's not like Mikami didn't know that you can kill someone writing on a torn peice of the notebook [When he ripped out pages to send to Takada for judgements].

Even if he was being watched, or if he was scared of the possibility of getting searched for an extra peice, How hard would it be to hide really? Its a peice of the note book, and as you can see Light was able to hide it for the longest. Mikami didn't even have to create an intricate watch thing like Light, he could of stashed it some secret component on his suitcase / outfit. Then after finding out about Takada's abduction, he could of easily taken it out and killed Takada and then dispose of the back up ripped peice.

Even if Giovanni noticed Mikami killing Takada with a peice of the note book rather than him going to the bank, that will only prove to Near that you're able to kill somebody with a peice of the note book. That way the real note book would of never been revealed to Near, and if anything Near would of probably changed the date of the meeting.

For someone to lead such a punctual life, and then getting direct orders from God, doing something like that is so out of character for Mikami.

MihawkXGP
2007-06-28, 03:18
Basically Mikami panicked because he wanted to kill Takada and thought that Light wouldn't be able to. He didn't have a spare piece of death note lying about so he had to go to the bank to get the real death note to write in Takada's name. This tipped off Near immediately because he went to the bank "out of schedule." Mikami is super organized and punctual...he never does things out of schedule or sequence. He always goes to the bank at a particular time on a particular day. So this random trip to the bank raised suspicions and they were able to find the real death note because of this.

Yeah but if i remember correctly, he realised that he was being followed when he went the 2nd time.
He could have taken some pages out of the Note, while he was there and proceeded as planned.
Too bad everything fell apart because of this 1 act.

XION
2007-06-28, 04:39
I loved the ending but can somebody help me out on this? Does Ryuk die when he writes lights name in the notebook because it wasn't lights time to die yet? or did I miss something? thanks.

Kanon
2007-06-28, 04:52
No, he didn't die. A shinigami dies when he kills a human to extend the lifespan of another human he loves (that's what happened to Rem). Ryuk killed Light because he didn't want to be stuck with him in prison for god knows how many years.

kazune-kun
2007-06-28, 05:02
9.5/10.

I'd have rather see Light win til the end, even though he was an evil bastard as Kinny mentioned, he was only killing people at fault.

I already knew what was going to happen though so it didnt surprise me as much. Before I would always skip the 2nd opening because I dont really like it
but last time I watched it again, I just realized that it was showing us a foreshadowing of what was about to happen. (Light screaming/The crack on his face/Light in Shinigami World)

Mamoru Miyano did an excellent job as usual. He's the perfect seiyuu for Yagami Light. (I cant believe he also did that stupid Aoba Riku from Tokimeki..) o_O

I agree I like the part when
1. Light admitted he was Kira and laughed like a maniac ..

2. Also When Light said. "Its a trap! I dont even know that person" and Mikami yelled and had an very ugly expression on his face.

3. Also when Light shouted irritably, giving Mikami the most evil glare "YOU IDIOT!! I told you to NOT do anything unnecessary until today!" LOL

4. Matsuda falling down on his knees/ Matsuda crying as he was shooting Light was dramatic and emotial. That was the highest point in the episode for me. "YOU ASSHOLE! Matsuda! Who do you think you're shooting at?!"

5. Light running away with flashbacks.

Man, I cant believe its over. :upset:

HyugaHinata
2007-06-28, 05:32
I'd have rather see Light win til the end, even though he was an evil bastard as Kinny mentioned, he was only killing people at fault.

Except for the FBI agents, L, Rem, etc. And don't forget that he drove his father to his death while he hid away in safety.

Justice Knight
2007-06-28, 07:05
i've watch the ep and they skipped the

part after 5 years and wat near did to the note book

how can they skip that part........

poolfan
2007-06-28, 09:14
i've watch the ep and they skipped the

part after 5 years and wat near did to the note book

how can they skip that part........

read the earlier posts. they are doing an OVA epilogue of DN i think. It'll be hard to stretch Ide's conversation with Matsuda to 1 episode though esp now that they killed off Mikami and Misa Misa.

Ryuk
2007-06-28, 09:25
This episode sucked, only part I liked was Light's insane laughter. There should be a dual ending to this fantastic series.

Hehe Light should have instructed mikami to keep a spare page in his underpants(hehe) at all times.

digitalmaster287
2007-06-28, 10:53
And when Light declared his win to Near, I thought that it was perfectly within his character. He's done it before with Naomi and Ray Penbar and Near and his smile pretty much revealed it to L before he died. Its just that this time, his little trick failed. Anyways, he probably knew that if it failed, that his name not being in the Death Note is proof enough that he is Kira.

Eisdrache
2007-06-28, 11:38
What the hell was with the suicide of Mikami ? -.- DN never intended to be 100% realistic but what they did with Mikamis blood was extremely exagerated.

Avacado Burger
2007-06-28, 12:52
I felt it was a fitting ending. It showed how mortal a man who called himself 'God' can be.
They did a great job that whole series depicting Light's downward spiral into delusions of grandeur.

mist2123
2007-06-28, 13:09
What the hell was with the suicide of Mikami ? -.- DN never intended to be 100% realistic but what they did with Mikamis blood was extremely exagerated.

you can try it for ur self see if its real:heh:

lawonga
2007-06-28, 13:41
So why did light get a hero's death?
See that light shining on top of him when he died? Thats proof of a heros death >_>

its probally got a relation with the bible, like the forsahdwoing of L's death (Washing the legs)

Grey
2007-06-28, 14:29
Hum, hum, it's a pity they shortened the final speeches between Near and Light. The clashing ideologies there were rather fun. Near got the short end of the stick, losing his speech on justice and only said, "you're crazy!" Light got to quote the favorable results of his actions, but lost the speech on people's right to happiness.

As for Light receiving a "hero's death" with the light shining upon him? Well, I suppose in their world there may have been a fair number of people who thought of him as a "hero". "Cleaning up society" and all that. Besides...they already gave Light the "pathetic death" in the manga. :heh: And I think this was merely a death with a sympathetic portrayal, not necessarily the portrayal of a tragic hero's death or anything. (Or, if you want a "non-meta" analysis: Light stopped in that place because it was out of view, he didn't have enough energy to make it the rest of the way up the stairs, and the location was nice and sunny).

What slightly surprises me was the way Aizawa and the rest went to Mikami when he stabbed himself. Honestly, a reflex to help someone who was trying to kill you moments before? But I suppose that is somewhat in line with an ethical sensibility that opposed Light. Valuing a person's life despite any deeds they committed or attempted.

Ahaha, ethical sensibilities are so diverse [and clashing]. It's really quite similar in pattern to political and religious beliefs.

Shadow Angel
2007-06-28, 14:48
Totally enjoyed watching this eppy just now seeing Light go crazy was nice. And I really enjoyed the closing parts of the eppy during when the crdits were being shown.

Erazor
2007-06-28, 16:05
And when Light declared his win to Near, I thought that it was perfectly within his character. He's done it before with Naomi and Ray Penbar and Near and his smile pretty much revealed it to L before he died. Its just that this time, his little trick failed. Anyways, he probably knew that if it failed, that his name not being in the Death Note is proof enough that he is Kira.

I don't agree with you.

When he did it to Ray Penbar... he was already on the floor suffering a heart attack, When he did it to Naomi he was guaranteed with her death, also he could easily turn it into a joke or something. The smile to L was clever, only L noticed but he was also suffering from a heart attack at the time.

With Near it was STUPID, it was set up like a trap, and any normal person would have had a doubt, he yelled so Near and everyone else can hear it, he should have waited for a reaction first.

He basically yelled "Near if I don't win, I'm Kira and you win".
Like Aizawa said it was like a confession.

Also I seriously doubt they can use the fact that his name wasn't in the death note as hardcore evidence to the fact that he’s' Kira, and if he hadn’t said this, his acting of "I've been framed" might have been believable.

Cheezy
2007-06-28, 17:31
I loved the part where Matsuda shot Light. It was so emotional. The running scene was also superb. This must be the best episode ever in Death Note.

...And the last :(

ShoyzX
2007-06-28, 17:36
Quick question, if you erase a name from a page/peice of the Death Note, can you re-use the spot the name was on? If so, a small peice of the Death Note like the one Light had in his watch would be pretty equivilent to the actual thing...

Verge
2007-06-28, 20:04
Heya, I just made an account here to talk with you all about this amazing finale :).

Though the better part of me is pretty sure she jumped, I like to believe that Misa finally came to her senses at the last second. I watched the last few minutes of the episode several times already just because it was so breathtaking, and in that moment where it shows Misa's face, and she shuts her eyes, it sorta struck me as a shamed realization of what she had been doing, and where she was now. Had she simply stood there and looked off into the distance without any expression whatsoever, I'd be 100% sure she jumped.

As for Light's actual death, I don't think it could have been done any other way. From his squirming around helplessly in front of all the others, to holding on to a false hope that he might actually run away, and finally to his eventual acceptance of the inevitable.

I also really liked how you saw L standing there, but his face was hidden. Nice touch :D

And by the way, I've downloaded the Death Note OSTs 1-3, but I can't seem to find that one song that's playing as Light is running away. Not the music that played when the credits started, (Coda) but the track right before it. Anybody know what it was?

quina
2007-06-28, 20:06
Quick question, if you erase a name from a page/peice of the Death Note, can you re-use the spot the name was on? If so, a small peice of the Death Note like the one Light had in his watch would be pretty equivilent to the actual thing...

Once the name is written down, it doesn't matter if you erase it or burn the paper, the target still die. Ofcourse there is a 'one shot' death note manga which introduce the death eraser that let you erase the name from the note (the target will revive as long as the corpe is not burnt), but that is totally unrelated.

ShoyzX
2007-06-28, 20:34
Once the name is written down, it doesn't matter if you erase it or burn the paper, the target still die. Ofcourse there is a 'one shot' death note manga which introduce the death eraser that let you erase the name from the note (the target will revive as long as the corpe is not burnt), but that is totally unrelated.

No, that wasn't what I was asking..
If you erase the name off of the peice of the Death Note, they'll still be dead and all, but can you write a different name where that name was and it will work? If so, infinate Death Note pages wouldn't be needed.

Vicious108
2007-06-28, 21:27
And by the way, I've downloaded the Death Note OSTs 1-3, but I can't seem to find that one song that's playing as Light is running away. Not the music that played when the credits started, (Coda) but the track right before it. Anybody know what it was?

L no Kako.

Verge
2007-06-28, 21:35
L no Kako.

Wow, so I had it the whole time. Wonder how I missed that :heh:

Thanks mate.

Guardian Enzo
2007-06-28, 23:32
Well, it amazes me that even to the end, there are still those viewers who contend Light wasn't evil. Just goes to show that some aspects of the story aren't all that far-fetched.

Now, as to the end, well - for me it was ultimately satisfying in that Light finally did get what was coming to him. As for the way it was done, it wasn't especially surprising or inventive - but there was some nice moments in the aftermath, especially with Matsuda stepping up as the most angry and the most heroic. And while I don't see what he got was a heroes death, it did have a certain poetry to it that befits the central character of an epic story like this one. Right down to L being the last thing he sees before MU...

mikeabundo
2007-06-28, 23:36
This finale compelled me to write a whole new blog entry (http://mikeabundo.com/2007/06/28/the-end-of-death-note-last-rites-for-light/).

Judging from the time on his watch when he received five bullet wounds from the betrayed Matsuda, and the color of the sky when he closed his eyes, Light must’ve been bleeding all over the place for at least four hours before he died. Kira was clearly one tough bastard.

At least this time, Light doesn't just give swimming lessons. He shows everyone how to run (http://animemashups.com/2007/06/28/death-note-final-scene-to-chariots-of-fire-theme/), too.

vhx
2007-06-28, 23:42
The ending was great, not what I had hoped but good none the less. He came so far but in the end was defeated. :(

I think that Light ended up getting too overconfident and that was his downfall. In almost every case prior to this he had Plan A, B, C but he just had a plan A here. He SHOULD have had a backup plan in case Near read his movements, theres no excuse for NOT having another plan in the works. I also think he was too distracted about making his 'perfect' world than he was battling Near.

It's crazy how one mistake from Mikami cost Light everything. I'm also amazed that Mikami didn't test the notebook prior to coming, just in case. That would have been the FIRST thing I would have done.

I was half-expected Ryuk to bail him out so Ryuk could continue to be entertained, but in the end it was all for his slight amusement. Ah well, damn, I wish they had a Death Note 2 with someone else getting it, battling Near or an equal foe, that would be awesome. One can only dream.

P.S. Poor Misa. :( But I guess she didn't have any memories of the Death Note anyways.

Edgewalker
2007-06-29, 01:30
Awesome ending, I kind of like the changes and kind of don't. Less focus on the whole "life after death" thing the manga had.

shaydie
2007-06-29, 04:59
i got alot of bitchin to do, so either cover your ears (eyes) or just roll with it

first of all

The Ending - Hated it. yeah yeah, light was gonna die sooner or later, it was tragic, it was emotional, blah blah blah... TYPICAL. Death note has always been about intelligence, suspense and unpredictability. This episode lacked all of it. The last few episodes had me all worked up, anticipating a great final climax, and what do i get? sucker-punched in the face.

Light - yeah he's evil. understatement. but seriously, lets not get into morals and ethics here, cuz lets not forget hes just an animated character. Of course what he was doing was wrong, but thats what made the show so badass. I honestly enjoyed indulging in the brilliance of his evil throughout the series, but its not like i would really support him. it was just dissappointing to see him go out in such a pathetic manner. I mean com on, hes smarter than that. Im not a light fan. Im not a anybody fan. I just like good anime and this last episode was a real let down.

Near - pulls too much shit out of his ass. L at least bases his theories on evidence and research. Near merely goes on a hunch, and is right every fuckin time! Doesnt it just seem a bit too unrealistic? eg. out of the blue suspected mikami of being second kira, with no prior connection or background. (and theres alot more too). Pisses me off!

Mello - so he kidnaps takada. gets himself killed. and manages to get mikami to use the real death note. HOW DA HELL did he know it was a fake in the first place? HOW DA HELL did he even know about mikami??

Mikami - well we all know why hes a moron. however, i actually enjoyed his final moments. what was going through his mind? did he feel betrayed for idolizing in a false god? or did he actually feel guilty for screwing everything up for kira? who knows... ;)

Just wanted to get this off my chest. Overall, its been the best series. Whats done is done, cant be changed now. No point in indulging in alternate endings and fantasies.

Rem and Ryuk
2007-06-29, 05:27
I hope that OVA explains a lot and ends up being good. Can't wait :)

ReinhartX
2007-06-29, 08:59
i find myself replaying at 9:13 to 9:30 where light was laughing like a possesed mad man 8D the laugh was too good

Zishi
2007-06-29, 09:10
Lights voiceactor is doing an awesome job in this episode. Maybe the best voiceacting I have ever heard. He had feeling and it wasnt feeling false.

Ryuk
2007-06-29, 09:28
Funny how out of character Light was at the end. If he was thinking straight he would not try to do the clock trick before he had been handcuffed and put in the back of a police car. It did not seem that it occurred to near(or the others) that he had a hidden piece of note in his clock before he frantically tried to use it in front of them

Jehuty77
2007-06-29, 10:00
Could someone make a thread called "Nears Decductions" because seriously I'd like to see a complete break down of how he solved the Kira Case.

To me it just seemed like he pulled alot out of his ass, his case was totally based on hunches and "what ifs" which he just happened to get correct every time.

So rediculess.

So someone please put up a thread or something so we can analyze his deductions.

Boris Moskovitz
2007-06-29, 13:53
To me it just seemed like he pulled alot out of his ass, his case was totally based on hunches and "what ifs" which he just happened to get correct every time.
Either that, or Near's a psychic.:D

Vicious108
2007-06-29, 14:27
Mello - so he kidnaps takada. gets himself killed. and manages to get mikami to use the real death note. HOW DA HELL did he know it was a fake in the first place? HOW DA HELL did he even know about mikami??

Halle Lidner kept him informed about what was going on in the SPK, so when he heard of them spying on Mikami to get his Death Note, he suspected Mikami was using a fake, which Near didnt.

I totally agree about Near, he does guess things way too convienently, which along with him being a chibi wannabe version of L, makes him my least favorite character.

ZODDGUTS
2007-06-29, 16:59
It's over.

We had Swimming Lessons, although brief, but they were there.

A very melancholic end for Light. Mikami kills himself in a very gruesome way. Near still wins. Misa possibly kills herself, it's not shown but heavily implied.

The montage of Light running while flashbacks of his younger self waking down the street was done really well.The final scenes with Light laying on the stairwell and seeing the silhouette of L as he dies were perfect. I chance to say I prefer this to the manga's ending.

Agreed I prefer the anime's ending over the manga. Plus we get to see what happens to Misa (or should I say is implied in the anime) which was mention 13th Volume "Death Note - How to Read". Hell I even felt pitied towards Light as he was walking down the street. My hatred towards for killing L knows no bounds lol plus Light seeing L as he was dieing on the stairway was iceing on the cake for me. Far better ending then the manga which ended in a wtf? who was that at the end but was later clear up by the manga-ka just random Kira cult admire.

Guido
2007-06-29, 21:30
What a spectacular closure for Death Note.

Light's tragedy was even better than that of Hamlet, Ophelia, or Faust.

The fall from grace, the exposure, the humilliation, the confession, the insanity, the deception, the vulnerabilities, all of them choreographically orchestrated in cinema-play style.

I do have to say that Light lost my sympathy when he tried any last-ditch attempts to talk his out of the accusations when it was already far explicitly proved and shown that he was Kira.

The warehouse sprang to life as it was live theater stage.

I will never forget Light's insane cackling with those crimson eyes once he gave in to pressure of those accusing eyes fixed on him and admitted that he was Kira.

He climbed to the top of madness like a mad scientist, who toys with life to create some new one. BTW, the manner on how Mikami adopted a hunch posture with a rotten look he truly seemed like Igor. lol!

Honestly, people Light was not someone extraordinary. He was just a spoiled teen, who by good fortune was borned and raised into a proper family with a stable economic background.
He became bored with the current world, because there was nothing on it that could ever pose a real challenge to his intellect. It only became once he chose to pick the note and started passing his presume judgement.

Light was not a God. He thought so to be. His power was not real, it was borrowed instead.
He fell into madness, because Near exposed him that he is human like the rest of them. All humans no matter what they do, tend to commit mistakes, therefore, we are not perfect.

Light's insanity was not due that he was found out, but that Near (and Mello) slapped him reason that he (Light) made a crucial mistake with the note and allowed his cockiness to get the better of him. And the heirs to L took advantage of that blind spot to counter his devilish machinations.

It was so sad but particularly for Matsuda, who I least expected from all the cast to snap frenzied.

He had that innocent image of Light being a responsible and civil person, that care for the utmost welfare of society.

But his frail naiveness was crushed upon the impact of the truth, that he got to witness himself.

Light admitted himself to be Kira, and he was willing to make sacrifices, which unfortunately included his father, for the higher cause of bringing forth his vision of the ideal world.

Thankfully, Near talked him down from his high horse and forced to review his truth situation and the mess on what he (Light) got himself into.

I am very glad that Mello's death was not in vain. He clearly knew the outcome, yet took the risks even if it was to outperform Near to mess with Light's scheme regarding Mikami's usage of the note.

Just as Near stated both boys alone could not surpass or even outshine L, but with their minds and efforts put together the two of them becoming one intellect possesed the potential and reasoning to outmatch and surpass L, thus finally exposing Kira for what he is just a foolish and average human like the rest of us.

Zek
2007-06-29, 22:52
This finale compelled me to write a whole new blog entry (http://mikeabundo.com/2007/06/28/the-end-of-death-note-last-rites-for-light/).

At least this time, Light doesn't just give swimming lessons. He shows everyone how to run (http://animemashups.com/2007/06/28/death-note-final-scene-to-chariots-of-fire-theme/), too.

:heh: Now that's the music they should have used for the finale.

zalem
2007-06-30, 00:30
I disagree with Light being average. If he was merely average L would have caught him. L was certainly not average. Light was brilliant, but also overconfident and very arrogant and that got the best of him in the end. Unless you mean that the fact was struck home that Light is indeed a human and not a god. Then yes, that I agree with.

ferthepoet
2007-06-30, 02:38
The problem with Lights plan is that you don't make a better world by going after regular murderers and thief... you go after World Leaders, Corrupt politicians, Organize Crime heads, Drug Lords.... those are the people that cause the real bad in the world and who the police can't touch......

SilverHeimdall
2007-06-30, 06:44
Light became a murderer instead of 'justice' when he killed the FBI Agents.

Kamel
2007-06-30, 06:58
Um isn't this a debate that belongs to "Morality in Death Note" thread , lately it seems as if a final episode thread turned in to double of that thread.

Shiroth
2007-06-30, 07:27
I disagree with Light being average. If he was merely average L would have caught him. L was certainly not average. Light was brilliant, but also overconfident and very arrogant and that got the best of him in the end.
You could say that it was L that defeated him in the end. Light like you said became overconfident after defeating L, which lead him to believe Near & Mello were no match for him --- though like Near said, together they're L.

aurora51x
2007-06-30, 09:41
i got alot of bitchin to do, so either cover your ears (eyes) or just roll with it

first of all

The Ending - Hated it. yeah yeah, light was gonna die sooner or later, it was tragic, it was emotional, blah blah blah... TYPICAL. Death note has always been about intelligence, suspense and unpredictability. This episode lacked all of it. The last few episodes had me all worked up, anticipating a great final climax, and what do i get? sucker-punched in the face.

Light - yeah he's evil. understatement. but seriously, lets not get into morals and ethics here, cuz lets not forget hes just an animated character. Of course what he was doing was wrong, but thats what made the show so badass. I honestly enjoyed indulging in the brilliance of his evil throughout the series, but its not like i would really support him. it was just dissappointing to see him go out in such a pathetic manner. I mean com on, hes smarter than that. Im not a light fan. Im not a anybody fan. I just like good anime and this last episode was a real let down.

Near - pulls too much shit out of his ass. L at least bases his theories on evidence and research. Near merely goes on a hunch, and is right every fuckin time! Doesnt it just seem a bit too unrealistic? eg. out of the blue suspected mikami of being second kira, with no prior connection or background. (and theres alot more too). Pisses me off!

Mikami - well we all know why hes a moron. however, i actually enjoyed his final moments. what was going through his mind? did he feel betrayed for idolizing in a false god? or did he actually feel guilty for screwing everything up for kira? who knows... ;)

Just wanted to get this off my chest. Overall, its been the best series. Whats done is done, cant be changed now. No point in indulging in alternate endings and fantasies.
I agree with you completely, and I'm especially pissed off about the bit of Near knowing everything right away just by guessing.

mist2123
2007-06-30, 10:00
You could say that it was L that defeated him in the end. Light like you said became overconfident after defeating L, which lead him to believe Near & Mello were no match for him --- though like Near said, together they're L.

though if mikami didnt make that move even thought they are L they are all still dead:heh:

Shiroth
2007-06-30, 13:24
though if mikami didnt make that move even thought they are L they are all still dead
Still, its overconfident Light who didn't come up with a back-up plan.

atilim
2007-06-30, 14:01
He wouldn't have needed a back up if he would have stayed calm, he could't still have won.

wingdarkness
2007-06-30, 16:14
"All humans will, without exception. eventually die..."

That is what DN has taught us...The specter of death can tun anyone, even the most powerful of people into a shell of their more grandiose selves...This ending was as amazing as it was non-descript...No ultimate twist, no Misa coming to aid some how, No Ryuk sacrificing himself for his greatest master...Just nothingness...This episode taught us such a great lesson, that in the end we ain't $hit but human...Easily corruptible and absolute power always corrupts absolutley...A bit fitting that Light lost not even of his own masterful degree of talent, but by factors out of his immediate control (Mikami loving his Kami so much that he totally exposed him) as is the nature of something like this...If you think about Light's incredible arrogance form episode 36 (as one person put it not even bringing a weapon with him as an ultimate back-up plan) we were actually shown his ultimate brilliance...Near gets credit as the victor gets the spoils, but I still see Yagami on another level...

I think alot of this show needs to be enjoyed on an academic level aswell as an emotional one...The reason why I couldn't really cross that bridge to truly hating Light (Other than how the story presents him) was that in an academic way his motives as a person were excellent in various ways...He took on every challenge, every mistake he made was followed up with meticulous and tedious execution to again balance the playing field...Every corner with a built-in escape route...To take on the challenge of ruling the world, being GOD, for as long as he did, keeping in mind how close his detractors were, was simply a thing of beauty to watch...I don't think there has ever been a character presented quite like him...Never as the protagonist...

Getting back to the final, in that moment between life and death Light realized he wasn't a GOD in any sense...The atmosphere was too much to take seeing what he used to be, what he could have been...,But at the end of the day he was no more than fodder for the DeathNote as everyone was...Tears came swelling from my eyes for some reason as Ryuk stood atop that pole being the reaper of death he truly was...Feeling for his DN buddy in that subtle way meant everything to me, however not even the freshest of apples could've stop Light's final fate...I can only ponder how many names of DN users Ryuk actually has in that book of his and if that was the most bittersweet scribble he has ever had....

In the end DEATHNOTE reminded me of some long-a$$ episode of Tales form the Crypt^^ ...it will be missed and it will not be forgotten...A show excellent in expressionism...One of the most expressive pieces of art I've ever seen...With a plot so simplistically complex filled with nuance and with intensity so thick at times, it's hard to breath...The level of animation at times was so masterful making a scene of eating potato chips an illustrative gem...I thank the talented individuals behind the concept of this work...I thank Yagami Light for showing me the soul of corruption in a way never seen before...All I can say now is:

"Kami!! Thank You for the journey..." (When I say that, you're suppose to imagine that DN church-bell sound chiming in the background^^)

What a great series...

Psychotic_Virtue
2007-06-30, 16:41
An Okay Episode I Guess, The Beginning And The Middle Were Great But Light Losing His Composure Just Didnt Make Sense Imo. The Ending Really Could Have Been Alot Better, Me Thinks They Just Wanted To Get The Series Over With By Making Some Lazy Attempt...

P.V.

wingdarkness
2007-06-30, 16:55
^I've read that comment alot an all I can say to it is that he lost...He had no more aces, death or confinement was his only option...How can you say it's OOC? How would you react? You don't know until something like that happens... Light had never been in a situation like that before where he totally lost and was ultimatley humiliated...IMO It was shown to bring home the point he was never God to begin with (Which is a great contrast to everything this show hypes him to be)..He lost his composure because he had nothing left...In the end he was just another pitiful human not wanting to die...It was a very real, desperate reaction to me...

Espp
2007-06-30, 21:14
After reading through every post up until now, I couldn't restrain myself from not commenting on this series.

First off, I think the pro-Light audience is a lot bigger than the contrary. Though the posts until now clearly show that not a lot of people agree with Light, it is more or less them not wanting to get flamed for an.. well.. against the what-opinion-I-should-have. I'm rather disappointed that those people do not speak up which makes this threat kinda biased.

-Power corrupts the human soul-

Hmm, personally I don't think "corruption" is right word for this series. I would compare it with how environment influences people's way of thinking. No one here can honestly say that they have never contradicted one of their beliefs, because everyone did someone that made them think "I have become what I used to hate/oppose, however.. that's only because...".
With that said, Light is neither insane nor a madman and before labeling me as a Light-lover, read on.
Most are saying that Light is simply crazy, his "justice" is and was wrong from the very beginning - this is false. Recall when Light relinquished ownership of the Death Note the first time, he immediately agreed to join L in the investigation. He was also honest enough to spit out L's exact thoughts every time he was testing him, i.e. when L asked him if he would succeed him if he dies. He even thinks about how very similar Kira and his own views are when he lost his memories but immediately discards the thought of him becoming/being him. But the absolute argument is that Light himself says - after regaining his memories in the helicopter - "I knew I would join L and fight Kira, that's just the type of person I am".
I think the moral and message of the story was delivered in those thoughts of his when he regained his memories.
Personally, I interpret it as him telling the world...

"If there was anyone who had to power to judge over the lives of people in accordance to their own view of justice, it would be a crime and I would not support it and fight it,... unless that individual is myself."

I don't think anyone can disagree with the general idea of that phrase because he shows that, if he had no memory of him being Kira and him currently not being Kira, he would go against it. However, the very first time he got the Death Note, the very first idea he gets about what he could use it for is reform the world. Also, as soon as he regained his memories and despite he experience he gathered and opinions he developed with L, he was back to his old self, without doubt. In clear-text, even after seeing how wrong Kira's power can be, if it is in his hands he believes that he can do it right.

-Would the world Light could've created really bad-

Going with the assumption that Light finished off all his opponents and had absolutely no one who opposes him. Now, you are born into such a world and your history teacher tells you "The world wasn't always like this; before Kira, there was war, organized crime, etc...", would you see Kira, and therefore Light, as a hero or savior? "Ends have to justify the means", however the means are ephemeral whereas the ends are lasting.

Lastly, the ending.

The story and its twists and its characters are simply genius; the flow was smooth and everything delivered was realistic. But since this is a fictional piece of entertainment, it has to end somewhere and somehow and therefore ending it with Light being victorious would have made no sense except fanservicing. Whether the author himself wanted it to end it the way it did if he was a spectator rather than the author is far from definite as well. The last episode, as well as the last few chapters in the manga were completely unrealistic BUT necessary for a fictional story of this caliber. As already mentioned numerous times, Light's ability of deduction and naiveness of resting his entire plan on Mikami without backup is totally out of character. His begging only served to ease the fact that the hero of the story lost and destroy his image/popularity; instead of having people thinking "Oh no, he lost.", thinking "Oh no, he lost... wtf now he's begging pathetically, I don't care for him anymore".
Basically what I'm saying is, if you want to interpret his actions and morals, do not use the content of the last episode as an argument. The only thing that it does convey is that Light is no God, bullets have the same affect on him as anyone else showing that he is a human and nothing else.

Wosho128
2007-07-01, 12:47
I am a pro Kira spectator. Do I agree with his ideologies? No. But his counter strategies were usually awesome. The last plan he made to defeat Near was smart but it wasn't the same caliber as his other plans. With L gone, Light became cocky and vested all of his time into a linear strategy.

As much as I like Mikami; giving the Death Note to him was a mistake. But there was no way Light could have suspected that at the beginning. He successfully manipulated the police force, Misa and Takada; he thought Mikami would be a useful drone as well. While that was temporarily the case; Mikami became a fanatical idiot at the end. He left the Death Note unattended while going to different facilities. While the dummy Death Note plan was somewhat detected by Light; Mikami was stupid enough to leave the book unattended.

In the beginning, Light always knew where the Death Note was and who it was going to be used by. Heck, Light even manufactured an indesk insulator for anyone who had the audacity to open the drawer with the Death Note in it. Mikami made no such precautions when he stuffed the Death Note in his bank lodgings. -_- Thus, he couldn't tell if somebody (Giovanni in this case) had modified it. Mikami's lack of consciousness is to blame. @_@

RAWR! Light would have won if he had not been so dependent on the fanboy. >_>
Anyway, this was a good episode. They made Mikami look hideous in these last two episodes. The pretty boy falling from grace was just nasty to look at.

Light's responses to pain were hilarious!

"MATSUDA!!!! YOU ASSHOLE!"

While most users loved the maniacal laugh, I loved Light's responses to the gunshots. They were hilarious.

Zerokule
2007-07-01, 13:16
This entire series manga and anime both made me uncomfortable. In the beginning it was cool to see really smart guys outwit each other. Then you watch as Light continues to ruin lives to keep himself from being caught. It made me sick to see his so called justice, it was an illusion of peace. I knew he would die in the end, good always trumps evil. Glad to see Light go out like a little kid that doesn't want to fess up and be a man. Near was somewhat stupid, along with Mello. Overall I liked the series when L was there, but a good series nontheless.

kazune-kun
2007-07-01, 13:57
Except for the FBI agents, L, Rem, etc. And don't forget that he drove his father to his death while he hid away in safety.

Oh yeah.. thats true. Im still on his side no matter what.

"Light your end is Near."

Zek
2007-07-01, 20:36
though if mikami didnt make that move even thought they are L they are all still dead:heh:

Well, if not for Mikami he wouldn't have gotten as far as he did. Light has been bailed out by his buddies, shinigami and human alike, countless times. It's not like he outwitted L all by himself.

mist2123
2007-07-01, 22:15
Well, if not for Mikami he wouldn't have gotten as far as he did. Light has been bailed out by his buddies, shinigami and human alike, countless times. It's not like he outwitted L all by himself.

he outwitted L cuz he was making the 'Pawns' move

he was the one planning things

noir senshi
2007-07-02, 00:55
This is the first time that I have ever cried for an anime character. :sad:

Light was beautiful, Death Note was beautiful; I hope that one day, I will find an anime series that is comparable to this masterpiece.

L_Ryuuzaki
2007-07-02, 06:29
Very good episode.

Yoruichi
2007-07-02, 07:12
Nooo it can't be over!! Great series for sure. I realized that even after being caught red handed as Kira, Light freaks out saying IT"S A TRAP! But I think the only time it really sinks into Lights head that it is truly over is when he is about to be handcuffed, then he panics and tries to get away like a cornered animal. I think it is then he realizes it is over, and there was no way he would go to jail, to be tried and judged as one of the murderers that he himself had judged so many times, to once be a God, free and controlling the world for the better (in his mind), to becoming the criminal, with no future or life, and to be confined as such for the rest of his life. After realizing all that Light was stricken with primal fear and just couldn't live like that so he had to attempt one last ditch effort to win, by using his fancy DN watch. When he was walking away explaining things and was about to write down a name he shoulda just stayed walking with his back to them, instead of turning around and making it obvious. Never the less great anime, one for the history books.

Oh yeah one more thing, could Light even had killed Near if he wrote his name down? I'm pretty sure Near wasn't his real name, so only Mikami knew his real name at that point.

Renchan
2007-07-02, 07:50
How? How MIkami kills Near? He didn't have any piece or notebook... He can't Kill Near. His Notebook is fake and he already wrote Near(Nate River) name in the fake notebook.

Yoruichi
2007-07-02, 08:50
Renchan I dunno who that post was to. But to be clear I was refering when light had a last chance using the torn piece of notebook in his watch, to write down Nears name. But seeing as I don't think that's his real name, it wouldn't have worked.

zalem
2007-07-02, 10:13
He was writing down Near's real name, which is Nate River. Light saw the name when Near himself held up the fake death note to point out that Light's name wasn't on there.

Erazor
2007-07-02, 10:47
Pffff....

The Kira we all knew through out the series would have planned something like this instead:

Got Mikami to bring the fake death note to the meeting, let him do his thing but also include Yagami Light's name too. Then when Near and everyone else is looking at the names and trying to figure out why yagami lights name is there too, light would memorise Near's name for later when he's alone with his watch.
The rest of them Light could kill by just research or whatever, even Near said that Kira possible seen everyones face here except his.
Sure Mikami would have been a sacrafice, but he was such a fanatic he probably would have done it anyway, also he could be freed later with a KIRA phone call to the president or whoever for the release of Mikami.

This way all light had to was make sure he sees the names written in the deathnote... he could do this by just acting paniced, then run over to mikami grab the death note look inside it and then throw it over to someone else or wotever.

The idea of this plan would be that Light is not exposed in any way, he's not putting himself in danger, and he still gets the name, if hes really clever he could memorise all the SPK names too.

... but noo... light had to win beautifully... in my eyes light was drunk when he thought his original strategy!

Also wasn't this plan overall flawed... what if Near never removed his mask... anyone could possible think they may cover their faces throughout the whole meeting.

wingdarkness
2007-07-02, 16:06
Also wasn't this plan overall flawed... what if Near never removed his mask... anyone could possible think they may cover their faces throughout the whole meeting.

The plan would have went exactly the same and Near would have still taken off the mask (Because he would have believed Mikami was writing on the fake pages he modified)...It was Mello's interference kidnapping Takada that showed Near the possibility of a fake DN (Mello's goal was to create an anomoly for Near to take advantage of)...If he hadn't known that he would have went with his orginal plan at the same exact date and he would have died...Light's plan in theory was excellent...

I think what people need to understand is that Light didn't necessarily lose to Near and Melo, or to this fantasy that is the sucession of "L"...He lost to "God" (Which is to say in not being a true God that 1% of something not going your way can't be fixed or miraculously saved)...Simply put if Light were God he would have won...DN's ultimate point as a series teaches us this lesson in the final ep...As I said his "penultimate" destiny was that of a name written in the DEATHNOTE...

As a sidenote there is speculation that Near wrote Mikami's name in the real DN and could've written for him to, "not check if the DN is real or fake" before bringing it to the meeting then ultimatley killig himself after Yagami Light was revealed as Kira...If Near DID THAT, then I'd give him more credit and say he was on Light's level...

Onniguru
2007-07-03, 09:21
“… everyone would pretend to be pure… we mustn’t do that… of course they’d say that. Of course that’s the correct answer, because humans have to act that way in public……. but in their hearts they are crying out for Kira to continue…” ~Kira

I would say that around 95% of the people in this world would use such an item as a Death Note to benefit themselves cunningly, killing only a few people here and there, the ones that you hate, the deaths that will benefit you, all sneakily so the rest of the society doesn’t catch up with you. Yet this is just as evil as Kira is, you just kept the quantity down, so what… and yes I truly believe only 5% of humanity will disregard the Death Note without use.

You think only 5% of people would refrain from using a device that kills people? If the people in this thread are any indicitave, apparently a fair percentage would use an item that killed people stealthily like this if they acquired it...but I'm still sure it would be considerably less than 95%.

I myself would have little use for the death note if I found one; on the othr hand, a note that makes person whose name is written down merely unable to lie ever again(even to themselves)...that kind of note I might have trouble resisting.

foolonthehill
2007-07-03, 22:32
Regarding whether or not Misa killed herself - my question is, how did she know that Light died?

It looked like it was occurring at around the same time (sunset). What, did Matsuda call her or something?

wingdarkness
2007-07-03, 22:55
How To Read 13, I believe confirms Misa's death (Manga creators confirm this, they also confirm she's not the Kira-supporter in the manga-epilouge)..I also read that Matsuda let it slip (Although she'd eventually find out he died)...She doesn't jump on the same day Light dies though it comes later IIRC...

Damn this thread is dead..I would have thought DEATHNOTE would atleast get a 10 day burnout...