PDA

View Full Version : Hajime no Ippo+others licenced

SirCanealot
2003-11-03, 19:23
As I posted earlier, before the boards were upgraded I posted the link to this:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=4301

Ippo licenced!!! w00t!
I'm hopinh Geneon treat Ippo at least half as well as Infusion has. Can't wait for mid 2004! Saikano and now Hajime no Ippo to look forward to.

If anyone gets any more info, go on and post it ;)

Sukato
2003-11-03, 19:33
Nice! If Hajime No Ippo shows up on CN (and since it doesn't have any gore and only a little bit of suggestive themes I can see that happening)...you can bet that a lot of american children will be randomly inspired to go into boxing.

|Aion|
2003-11-03, 20:29
Any clue as to how many episdoes a disk for HnI

Tabiree
2003-11-03, 20:53
Probably around the 4-5 per disc mark, which isn't too bad.

Then again, no one will know until they announce how many

NenMaster
2003-11-03, 21:27
this anime will be very expensive

frowndog
2003-11-03, 21:43
Its actually very surprising that sports anime are now finding their niche in the american market. First Ippo, and if rumors are true Prince of Tennis next.

I've actually believed that outside of big robots beating up on each other, sports anime are the best kinds of anime to get people to watch. Here's hoping that Ippo will do well :)

Sunglare
2003-11-04, 02:01
I'm not happy it's licenced. I only had 20 episdoes left to download. I fially got a ISP that doesn't have a monthly transfer limit so all I needed was around three weeks to get them at the most.
Now I'm stuck at episode 55 and have to wait a year and a half likely before they even release, not to mention paying 20 to 30 dollars for only 3 to 4 episodes is getting rediculas.
It's about time these companies started lowering prices.

Xess
2003-11-04, 02:15
Granted the prices are expensive, but I'm sure they'll have enough sense to fit more eps into one disc of Ippo. Releasing a 26 disc box set is just plain retarded. And you could always get the rest of the episodes from sources other than bt.

Overall though, I think it's good for Madhouse in general as the extra income from the liscense might inspire them to create another season of Ippo.

FinFangFoom
2003-11-04, 03:18
I'm not happy it's licenced. I only had 20 episdoes left to download. I fially got a ISP that doesn't have a monthly transfer limit so all I needed was around three weeks to get them at the most.
Now I'm stuck at episode 55 and have to wait a year and a half likely before they even release, not to mention paying 20 to 30 dollars for only 3 to 4 episodes is getting rediculas.

I know how you feel, I'm on episode 61 :sad: I really hope that some other sources come through and allow me to finish it! Oh well, if more episodes are made because of this like xess mentioned then I guess it will have been worth it.

Tboz
2003-11-04, 05:57
Jus got my broadband account recently and only dled till ep 36... :(

oh well, I still have my manga... bk 66 is out... :love:

Go-lytely
2003-11-04, 06:28

Well, there are plenty of other places to get licensed anime. You just have to know where to look. Anyway, anime DVD's arent that much more expensive considering that anime will never sell as well as mainstream Hollywood films. Like people have already said, if Ippo does well here they might finance another season.

SirCanealot
2003-11-04, 06:44

Hajime no Ippo was been fansubbed for ages. I don't have anything to complain about. When something is licenced in the middle of fansubbing, that annoys me slightly. You will just have to try other sources. Try Direct Connect or Edonkey or something. And Hajime no Ippo will probebly be released 5 episodes a disk, not 3 or 4. And $20-30 for a DVD isnt exactly over priced, expetially when you can knock ten bucks off shoping online. I myself was just about to update my collection when I noticed it was licenced, so I'll have to do the same thing.

Zidane
2003-11-04, 07:31
Heh, someone noticed it might get people inspired to go boxing. Hell, that's a whole lot better for kids to be inspired to get off their asses and do something then just watching pointless anime like beyblade and digimon, and pokemon with only one purpose : Merchandise ! Oh, it also inspires kids to fight in the school yards about trading cards etc.. In contrary with Prince of tennis, or all those mech or trading card animes, people can actualy be Ippo if they are willing to put the effort in, this is one reason i like it. After watching so many fantasy animes it was refreshing to see something that was humanly possible to achieve in a sports anime.
To think i almost didn't give it a chanse cause i expected superhuman moves and fireballs/ki blasts like things.

The fact that there are no reall cliche anoying good vs evil stories/charachters in the series makes it really refreshing as well. This might make it boring to kids though, but who cares. This anime should be enjoyed by all, not specificly kids.

snoopy
2003-11-04, 07:51
Tboz, Volumes 67 and 68 are going to get people salivating big time... I've been rereading the past 5 chapters of the weeklies over and over, just to make sure I didn't miss the "Just kidding! No way that'd happen this soon. Dumbass."

God, I'm smiling just typing about it... :bow:

Tboz
2003-11-04, 09:52
Tboz, Volumes 67 and 68 are going to get people salivating big time... I've been rereading the past 5 chapters of the weeklies over and over, just to make sure I didn't miss the "Just kidding! No way that'd happen this soon. Dumbass."

God, I'm smiling just typing about it... :bow: WOOT... gonna get my bk 66 this few days... :p :D

Babak
2003-11-04, 10:19
Sad that Ikkitousen was licensed. :(
Just one more episode left and it gets licensed.. :sad:

NenMaster
2003-11-04, 12:36
u think the production company will make more eps because its popular in a licsenced country?

Go-lytely
2003-11-04, 14:10
u think the production company will make more eps because its popular in a licsenced country?

More and more US anime companies are financing shows in Japan. For example, Ninja Scroll TV was financed by Urban Vision because the movie was so popular here in the US. Look at all the shows that are pre-licensed nowadays. The influence of American companies is growing. The problem is, Ippo has two things going against it. It is a sports anime and it is very long. Even among my anime friends, most havent seen Ippo and/or are not interested in sports anime. It is unlikely that Ippo will be popular here, but having a US company finance another season seems like the only way we Ippo fans will get to see another season.

Tboz
2003-11-04, 15:20
sad but true, sports anime are not as popular as other genre... :(

the numbers are sparse and only a few like slam dunk make it big ~ was there another? ~ :heh:

boxing is not exactly a very common sport either... :(

snoopy
2003-11-04, 18:32
The fact that Ippo is centered around the *Japanese* boxing world means that it has just about as much chance of success as a Japanese Boxer does winning the heavyweight title (look through the records and be amazed...). Also, the odds of a new season are even worse than that. The ratings for the final season of Ippo sucked beyond suckage, any intelligent company would look at those numbers and say "Pft... yeah, why don't YOU PEOPLE make it?". It may be true that Ninja Scroll TV was mostly financed by an American company, but that's the only occurance of such a thing that I've ever seen, so taking it as a 'new trend' is only a means for creating false hope. I really wish people would simply accept the fact that Hajime no Ippo will never be a TV series again. Instead of posting things like "If it's popular, will we get a new season!!?!11", spend that time learning Japanese so you can read the manga. It'll make your lives so much happier.

method
2003-11-04, 19:08
Well there is Big O II that was financed by Cartoon Network.

snoopy
2003-11-04, 19:34
Really...? I had more respect for CN than that... there are no more heroes. :sad:

method
2003-11-04, 19:45
What's wrong with CN doing that.

Zidane
2003-11-04, 19:51
Hmmz, i draw the line at learning a language just to read manga. Ill just be one of those people that keeps hoping it will get a 2nd season for a little while longer. If not , to bad.

The odds that it will not be a big succes just cause its based in japan ( the story) , i dont really buy that.
If its a good dub, i dont see why people wouldn't like it . The timeslot and the channels it gets aired on is important to though, that can make or brake a show. I like to read manga , but only of series im watching or expecting to watch in anime form. Otherwise its basicly just like reading a storyboard. Maybe if i started off with the manga i would feel differently, but i didnt.

SirCanealot
2003-11-04, 20:54
Yup, I'm seriously doubting Hajime no Ippo will EVER be on TV again in Japan. Which is a shame, as it has took the Internet by storm over the last year or so. Which confuses me. How can something be so popular online, but be a complete flop in Japan. Dumbass Japanese....

NenMaster
2003-11-04, 21:10
yea i know :) wouldnt call japanesse dumb though

eLstar
2003-11-04, 21:11
Wow that sounds horrible. I love ippo, I've been reading the manga and it's so amazing despite the outdated looks. I wanted to start downloading the anime but oh well. I'll be happy enough to buy the DVD's.

skillosopher
2003-11-04, 21:25
bwahahahah! luckily i picked it up before it got licenced! a mighty fine anime but DVD's are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to expensive. 30 bucks for a DVD with 5-6 episodes? i dont want to sound like a (non-contributor) but id never pay that much for any movie, TV show, or anime.

although, every anime fan that refuses to buy merchandise is another knife in the indistry's back. so go buy the DVD's!

bluerose
2003-11-04, 21:33
I'm kinda sad that Hajime no ippo is licensed cuz i was only halfway through the series...Oh well i guess it serves me right for waiting so long to download it since i thought it would be stupid.... :sad: boy was i wrong.

snoopy
2003-11-04, 22:47
I'm sorry, but Big O is... well, let's just say that I personally find it to be annoying in more ways than I feel like taking the time to list here.

I didn't mean that it wouldn't be popular because it's based in Japan (there are plenty of popular animes based in Japan... the vast majority, in fact). I meant that anyone even remotely familiar with boxing knows how much Japanese boxers suck (and I mean hardcore, don't move or I might break a tooth suckage), thus they'd be repelled entirely upon first glance. And the anime never even once mentions the superiority of other nations. The Japanese boxers just continue living in their own little world, pretending to be supermen. Of course, if the anime had continued, that would have changed with the intro of the World contenders, and so forth, but as it stands now, for people in the know who may be looking for a boxing story, it'd be looked on poorly. Besides, even if they had continued, the odds of such people watching long enough to get to the American and European boxers is slim to none.

...And I learned Japanese just to be able to read manga... is that really so bad? It's not like I use my uber japanese-reading powers for evil or anything... and I get way more manga than the people who wait for me to translate it for them.

snoopy
2003-11-04, 22:53
:uhoh: Just saw another post I can comment on.

Why was it not popular in Japan? A few reasons cross my mind. First, the more into the story the anime got, the more details they started to leave out. It became especially prevelent after the A Class Boxer Tournament, which marks the beginning of the final season (coincidence...? :nono: ). Also, I don't know about you guys, but if I've been reading something and I know what'll happen next, I'm probably more inclined to not bother watching it, in favor of watching something that I'm not familiar with. I'm sure that the Japanese can't be all that different from me. Hell, I just now watched the Mashiba/Kimura OVA even though it's been in my downloads directory since it was first released.

Go-lytely
2003-11-05, 02:15
I'm sorry, but Big O is... well, let's just say that I personally find it to be annoying in more ways than I feel like taking the time to list here.

I didn't mean that it wouldn't be popular because it's based in Japan (there are plenty of popular animes based in Japan... the vast majority, in fact). I meant that anyone even remotely familiar with boxing knows how much Japanese boxers suck (and I mean hardcore, don't move or I might break a tooth suckage), thus they'd be repelled entirely upon first glance. And the anime never even once mentions the superiority of other nations. The Japanese boxers just continue living in their own little world, pretending to be supermen. Of course, if the anime had continued, that would have changed with the intro of the World contenders, and so forth, but as it stands now, for people in the know who may be looking for a boxing story, it'd be looked on poorly. Besides, even if they had continued, the odds of such people watching long enough to get to the American and European boxers is slim to none.

HnI mentions plenty of American boxers. I remember Hagler, Spinks, Tyson, and Dempsey being mentioned in HnI.

snoopy
2003-11-05, 03:08
Yeah, they talk about some of the greatest boxers of all time, and then they compare them to Ippo. A worthless Japanese boxer. Even when he's champion, he's still not even ranked in the world standings. Period. Trust me, I've gone over every angle in my mind countless times, after debating with myself, I've come up with my current opinion. Thus, there's no possible way anyone will ever get me to change my mind, and argueing an opposing view is probably pointless. If someone who loves HnI as much as I do tells you something about it sucks, that part sucks, it's pretty much that simple.

Oh, but since the manga introduces people from other nations, that fault in the anime is nullified. The problem is that most people around here don't even realize that the HnI anime was taken from a manga, let alone do they know where to get it, and when they're told where to get it, they bug me about going faster, so I'm all for keeping them uninformed.

Zidane
2003-11-05, 06:28
In the anime that female reporter does say that Japanese boxers are worthless compared to the world in her opinion when she was first introduced.

Also, if you put it in a bigger perspective nobody ever said Ippo was anywhere near as strong as the people whos techniques he learned. Youre confusing skill with raw power. Eventualy the raw power and speed etc will win always in boxing. Its normal for lower ranked boxers to adapt styles from legendary champions, that doesn't mean they are anywhere near as good as those champions. Dont forget they tone down the spectaculair graphics of a move usualy after Ippo has mastered it. Like the Gazelle punch, it looked like a spectaculair something when he first did, but they started showing it much more down to earth the more he used it.

The biggest problem Japanese fighters (not just boxers) have when it comes to the world scene, is that they lack the build to become very strong. They are in general small, not to powerfull, light weights, etc.. (dont give me Sumo's thats an exception :P) . But however, they are often great technisians.But who cares for technique if the punch or kick you throw doesn't have any serious strenght behind it compared to huge black men, or big Nazi warriors Uber mensch style .

Also realise there might be a reason behind the mangaka chosing a featherweight boxer as his main charachter, cause if there ever was gonna be a Japanese wbo champion, then it would have to be in the bottom 3/4 weight classes. I cant be sure, cause i dont know of the story beyond the anime ofcourse, but thats how it seems to me.

And snoop, yea, if you read manga before watching the anime of something, you can expect to be bored or stop liking it fast. Its the same when you've already gone trough a book before the movie gets released, and theres almost no way in your mind the movie can improve on the book. That's why i dont like reading mange if there is any chanse of an anime coming out. I do read the manga afterwards if i liked the anime, but i try not to do it before watching the anime. Also, is it that weird that they cut out certain stuff from manga's ? Especialy if it's a manga that is that long running? This reminds me of Flaming lotr fanboys at my school .

And on my comment about not learning Japanese just to read manga, that was just opinion, im not telling you you're for doing so or something. Im just saying i would
not do it. Im all for learning more languages though, the more you know the richer your mind becomes. But atm im still in school, and i already have 4 languages i speak, and 2 more that im about to learn to speak cause im forced to (German and French).
Not that i dont wanna learn Japanese properly , but it has no function here, i have yet to spot a single Japanese person in my enviremont , just a occasional tourist or exchange student. Only asians i see here are Chinese, and plenty of them.

Tboz
2003-11-05, 08:33
I don't think there's anything wrong with learning japanese to read manga. I have always wanted to learn the japanese language myself. Why?

I wanted to be able to play those great japanese games and watch anime and jap drama without the subs. Too bad I never really got around doing it due to time and monetary constraints. :(

I am lucky that I'm chinese and its pretty easy to find manga translated in chinese. Best thing is that newer series and new volumes are available in a short time. :heh:

I can go as far to say anime adapted from managa are never as good. The only exception I find is Kimagure Orange Road, but that's not our subject here. :p

Back to our subject, Hajime no Ippo is really a comeback kid. The manga I believe is one of the most popular in Japan currently, thanks to the hit PS2 game and abit of support from the anime series. The series is more than 10 years old, I count it lucky that the author still continued with the series despite it living in obscurity for so long. (maybe not that bad) :p

About Ippo not being world champion? Takamura already accomplished two times of that, I believe it will soon be Ippo's turn if he can get over his injury. This is fiction you know? :heh:

snoopy
2003-11-05, 10:53
We're starting to write essays over here, so I'm going to see if I can be concise (that, and I wanna go to sleep).

The initial comment by that reporter is treated as a minor detail, never once revisited, not even in the manga, as she's totally engrossed in Ippo now and couldn't care less about people who could kick his ass in their sleep (which is pretty damn sad... she couldn't have been the international voice of reason, but nooo~).

Not sure if it was in the anime... but in the beginning of the manga the coach talks about how Ippo's initial form for the uppercut was 'Exactly like *insert boxer's name that I don't remember* from 1950-something', and that's why he started developing Ippo the way he did, to recreate the old boxers in a new era. Thus *infering* that Ippo would match up to said boxers in the future.

And Morikawa-sensei, I believe I read this somewhere, chose featherweight because of the current scene in Japanese boxing (back in the late 80's when the manga was born), but I may have made that up in a dream or something, as I can't seem to locate that interview anywhere...

And it took 50+ volumes of manga over a period of 10 years before they ever started the anime, thus even people like you who only read the manga if they think it'll never be animated probably read it... you know, thinking it'd never be animated.

And the beginning of the anime is remarkably (read 'exactly') the same as the anime, other than the time references and slang the characters used (you don't wanna put bad 80's slang in a year 2000 anime release :heh: ). But the longer it got the less they kept in there. Here's the numbers: the first 12 volumes (through the Rookie fight with Sendou) took what... 40 episodes? Something like that. And the series ended at episode 75, which is volume 31 in the manga. That's 50% more manga condenced into 90% less episodes. When I say they left things out, I mean they REALLY left things out.

And Tboz, actually Ippo's been one of the top sellers since it was first released. If you look through the best-sellers lists from the mid nineties, you'll find it there almost every time. And it's still very popular, getting an extremely high amount of cover time in Weekly Shonen Magazine (especially considering that Morikawa-sensei is pretty much tenured and has been for many years).

Damnit, I was trying to be concise... :frustrated:

Zidane
2003-11-05, 11:27
Snoop, could you sum up things they left out of the anime that where pretty esential or very good and didn't make it in the transition?

Dorfl
2003-11-05, 14:04
*whine mode on* Oh snoopy PLEASE PLEASE tell us more about dearest Ippo, PLEASE PLEASE snoopy sir *whine mode off* :)
I agree that it's unlikely for another season of the Ippo anime to be made, but what are the chances of the first few volumes of the manga being licensed if the anime proves to be popular? I doubt any company would be bold enough to license 66+ volumes of manga, but I can certainly see them licensing the first 10-12 volumes just to see how the market goes and then proceeding from there.

buffalo head
2003-11-05, 18:52
does anybody know how to put hajime no ippo on vcd? i always get an error no matter what i try. By the way, for the guys who are halfway the series, you can try kazaa....

snoopy
2003-11-05, 19:32
No way, that'd take like... well, first I'd have to read the manga again, then I'd have to watch the anime again and compare the 2... I'm a busy man, even if that simply means that I'm busy sleeping or playing video games.

Dorfl
2003-11-06, 01:35
Waaah, snoopy, tell us SOMETHING!

snoopy
2003-11-06, 02:28
Fine.

The first thing that comes to mind... and what I wanted to see in the anime A LOT was wanpo shitting on the belt. And then attempting to do the same thing when Kumi picks him up at the wharf.

snoopy
2003-11-06, 02:40
Just thought of something I don't remember being in the anime! Did they do the six sparring matches that Ippo had before the championship fight with Sendou? The one's from the higher weight classes, then with Aoki?

Dorfl
2003-11-06, 04:10
Fine.

The first thing that comes to mind... and what I wanted to see in the anime A LOT was wanpo shitting on the belt. And then attempting to do the same thing when Kumi picks him up at the wharf.

Wanpo DOES shit on the belt at the end of episode 75, if my memory serves me correctly. But not on the wharf, though. And I don't remember Ippo having any series of sparring matches, so I guess they cut that out.

snoopy
2003-11-06, 05:43
Wanpo DOES shit on the belt at the end of episode 75, if my memory serves me correctly. But not on the wharf, though. And I don't remember Ippo having any series of sparring matches, so I guess they cut that out.

Yeah, but it was in one of those flash memory sequences to recap the party instead of actually showing it. And the sparring is really cool, actually. Ippo goes through 5 ranked boxers from featherweight all the way through middleweight (J Light, Light, I forget the others...), and then beats the crap out of Aoki.

Tboz
2003-11-06, 05:50
And Tboz, actually Ippo's been one of the top sellers since it was first released. If you look through the best-sellers lists from the mid nineties, you'll find it there almost every time. And it's still very popular, getting an extremely high amount of cover time in Weekly Shonen Magazine (especially considering that Morikawa-sensei is pretty much tenured and has been for many years). Really? I didn't know about that. My personnal experience with the manga was not very optimistic that's why... :(

I lost a few issues of the manga and had a very hard time look for it. Most of the comic shops told me that the Taiwan publisher that has the license had stop republishing the old issues so most of the local stock are the odd issues. Note that this is not any small publisher, Tongli is in fact one of the biggest in Taiwan that have the publishing rights to many japan manga. :frustrated:

I have no choice but to place order with my favourite comic shop for the few issues that I lost, and pray for the day when Tongli will want to republish the series again. Fortunately, at around last year to early this year(can't remember), when the anime had started showing in Japan, the new stock finally did arrive and I was able to collect my order. :heh:

That's why I concluded that the manga were not that popular in the first place. Maybe I give too little credict to Morikawa-sensei there, but I am glad that he has got the recognition he deserve for his consistent input into Hajime no Ippo. :D

Erm, who's Wanpo? I only caught half of the anime, and the character names I have are in chinese... :p

snoopy
2003-11-06, 05:53
Dunno about how well it sells in Taiwan, but in Japan it's been quite highly ranked for as long as I've been following it.

And Wanpo's the puppy Nekota gives Ippo after he wins the title.

Tboz
2003-11-06, 05:59
Dunno about how well it sells in Taiwan, but in Japan it's been quite highly ranked for as long as I've been following it.

And Wanpo's the puppy Nekota gives Ippo after he wins the title. oh, Wanpo is the puppy, I remember now... :p

I don't read japanese, so have to babelfish it. But most of the japanese sites I found use alot of flash, so I don't get any translation too.

Any good ones to check out the latest anime/manga news? Where you go to see all those rankings? :confused:

snoopy
2003-11-06, 06:30
I haven't followed the rankings for quite a while, so I lost the sites and stuff... but if you do a google search for manga best-selling lists or something along those lines, you should run across them.

Tboz
2003-11-06, 06:54
I haven't followed the rankings for quite a while, so I lost the sites and stuff... but if you do a google search for manga best-selling lists or something along those lines, you should run across them. I am actually looking for japanese sites, but hadn't had much luck.

Thanks tho... :D

Tabiree
2003-11-06, 08:18
Hasbro dipped into TF Armada

Cartoon Network provided funds for Big O season 2

Beuna Vista/Ghibli (now considered an INTERNATIONAL animation studio)/Disney co-produced/funded Ghost in the SHell II

list goes on

Firebrand
2003-11-08, 17:14
I know how you feel, I'm on episode 61 :sad: I really hope that some other sources come through and allow me to finish it! Oh well, if more episodes are made because of this like xess mentioned then I guess it will have been worth it.

*cough IRC cough*

and snoopy, you are our ippo manga hook up... use that time and translate us some more!! ^_^

Tboz
2003-11-08, 19:03
*cough IRC cough*

and snoopy, you are our ippo manga hook up... use that time and translate us some more!! ^_^ yea... snoopycool is great... :D

microlith
2003-11-09, 01:16
Disney had NO hand in the creation of GitS2.

Production I.G. merely comissioned Ghibli on assisting with animation production. Neither Ghibli, Buena Vista, nor Disney have any say or influence on GitS2.

snoopy
2003-11-09, 01:16
hai hai hai. I'm working, I'm working. I actually translated 2 chapters today, and another translator just uploaded the scripts for volume 17~

Dorfl
2003-11-09, 01:22
Ooooh, snoopy, keep it up. The latest stuff on Miyata was really great. I noticed a few typos here and there that you might want to watch out for, but I'd rather have a few typos and lots of chapters than nothing at all. :D Keep up the good work, we appreciate it!

snoopy
2003-11-09, 09:01
typos are just proof that we aren't 'The Man'. Besides, the translation itself is better than anything you'll find on the shelf at your local comic shop, typos or not :naughty:

Sukato
2003-11-11, 08:48
Yup, I'm seriously doubting Hajime no Ippo will EVER be on TV again in Japan. Which is a shame, as it has took the Internet by storm over the last year or so. Which confuses me. How can something be so popular online, but be a complete flop in Japan.

This is exactly why I believe that Ippo will be a pretty decent success outside of Japan. I couldn't care less about how well japanese boxers actually fight, but the determination of Ippo makes it great. Heck, insert any sport instead of 'Boxing' and use the same characters and similar story and its bound to have a good reaction to internet and the rest of the world. Obviously almost every anime fan on Animesuki liked Ippo, and they are the most critical of anime because they have seen more anime than the average American/European. If we who are the most critical of anime enjoyed Ippo so much, why wouldn't the rest of the world? (aside from Japan of course)

Tboz
2003-11-11, 10:52
Hmm... one of my friend simply won't give Ippo a try no matter how hard I persuaded him to. Without even watching it, he simply condemns it as some wannabe who join the sport just to impress girls.

Maybe he is right in some way though, sports anime will always be subjected to this type of prejudice as long as there are ignorant fans. I am not really sure who's to blame, should we blame Sakuragi as the foundation for such stereotype cast? His initial purpose to play basketball was no doubt to impress a girls... Hmmm... :eyebrow:

Somehow I also think that anime fans are also less inclined to accept shows that are based on less popular sports. Some may even think that they shouldn't bother with those that they don't even play. There should be some basis for why I think so, but I just feel it, and can't put in down in words.

I am not sure how big a group this type of anime fans make up, but I certainly hope there isn't too many. Sports anime should be given a chance. :mad:

a_nevels666
2003-11-11, 14:03
Hmm... one of my friend simply won't give Ippo a try no matter how hard I persuaded him to. Without even watching it, he simply condemns it as some wannabe who join the sport just to impress girls.

Maybe he is right in some way though, sports anime will always be subjected to this type of prejudice as long as there are ignorant fans. I am not really sure who's to blame, should we blame Sakuragi as the foundation for such stereotype cast? His initial purpose to play basketball was no doubt to impress a girls... Hmmm... :eyebrow:

Somehow I also think that anime fans are also less inclined to accept shows that are based on less popular sports. Some may even think that they shouldn't bother with those that they don't even play. There should be some basis for why I think so, but I just feel it, and can't put in down in words.

I am not sure how big a group this type of anime fans make up, but I certainly hope there isn't too many. Sports anime should be given a chance. :mad:

Well, in all honesty, a lot of sports anime are full of cliches and very unrealistic.

However, Hajime no Ippo is excellent and you should give your friend body blows to the gut until he gives in and watches it. (Either that or force him to watch at least serveral episodes, then he'll most likely be hooked...)

Zidane
2003-11-12, 15:34
This is exactly why I believe that Ippo will be a pretty decent success outside of Japan. I couldn't care less about how well japanese boxers actually fight, but the determination of Ippo makes it great. Heck, insert any sport instead of 'Boxing' and use the same characters and similar story and its bound to have a good reaction to internet and the rest of the world. Obviously almost every anime fan on Animesuki liked Ippo, and they are the most critical of anime because they have seen more anime than the average American/European. If we who are the most critical of anime enjoyed Ippo so much, why wouldn't the rest of the world? (aside from Japan of course)

This is exactly what i think. Hni is so much more then just a boxing anime. I dont think anyone will care about Japanese boxing not being all that good in reall life.
The series grabs people cause of the friendship and weirdness/comedy of Kimura,Takamura, Leapfrog Aoki ;), and Ippo bring to it, not even mentioning Coach Kamagowa and Jagi (not sure it was spelt like that) The charachter building of the oponents is great as well, who would have thought people would respect the charachter that is Ryo Mashiba for the anti social but very caring brother he is to his sister for instance. Btw, i like anti social , i hate allot of fakers and treat them like Mashiba does :P . The intense fights are far from a boxing fan only watch, in fact, it might draw people to the sport who never ever watched a single boxing match. The comedy, the slight but not overdone drama, the romance (if you can call it that), the training, the comedy , the music, the fights. Whats not to like about it?

BTW, dont overdo it, Japanese boxers have won a good deal and have been ranked high in lower weight classes more then often. Its not like theyre complete shit in all the weight classes since the beginning of the times or something.

Autophage
2003-11-29, 03:33
It personally pleases me that this is the first sports anime to catch an American lincensors' eyes. Truthfully, neither Slam Dunk nor Prince of Tennis have that panache that Hajime no Ippo delivers with its emotionally sympathetic cast and thrilling action sequences. Another great thing about HnI was how it kept side-line commentary to a minimum but made it tolerable or enjoyable depending on the character, where as in Prince of Tennis, Ryoma would lose a point to someone on the court, and then eight people react (Fucking repetitive if you ask me) simultaneously as if they were choreographed.

Another reason this is great news is that it was picked up by Geneon (A.K.A. Pioneer), the people that were responsible for Tenchi Muyo's, Serial Experiment: Lain's, Armitages', and many other great titles' excellent voice acting. I think this show is in good hands with the guys at Pioneer... whoops, I'm mean... GENEON!!!X-TREME!!111

GipFace
2003-11-29, 20:06
It personally pleases me that this is the first sports anime to catch an American lincensors' eyes.

No one remembers Princess Nine?

Autophage
2003-12-01, 03:40
I don't think it's a matter of "remembering" - perse. More like, "Watched it in the first place."

Tommy
2004-05-20, 05:26
Just saw a review for ippo today on Ign. I was kinda suprised its out on dvd already, although I wish they didn't change the title to "Fighting Spirit".

Roots
2004-07-19, 19:29
Well Fighting Spirit isn't the worst title so I'm not too disappointed. Besides people would probably horribly mispronounce the title if it was left in its original form. I mean christ, the everyday American butchers the word 'sake' :rolleyes: Did they leave the original Japanese soundtrack and make a sub on the DVD? If so I'll pick it up when I get money. If not, I might import. I just took a look at the website and MAN they put some MASSIVE mid-series spoilers in there! What the hell were they thinking!!! :twitch:

But the real reason I wanted to post was does anyone know if they plan to make more Ippo episodes? I've been following the manga and although its really good, I think this series is just so much better when its animated. How could they end it at 76 episodes when its still going strong (IMO)???

Za Paper
2004-07-19, 19:41
Well Fighting Spirit isn't the worst title so I'm not too disappointed. Besides people would probably horribly mispronounce the title if it was left in its original form. I mean christ, the everyday American butchers the word 'sake' :rolleyes: Did they leave the original Japanese soundtrack and make a sub on the DVD? If so I'll pick it up when I get money. If not, I might import. I just took a look at the website and MAN they put some MASSIVE mid-series spoilers in there! What the hell were they thinking!!! :twitch:

But the real reason I wanted to post was does anyone know if they plan to make more Ippo episodes? I've been following the manga and although its really good, I think this series is just so much better when its animated. How could they end it at 76 episodes when its still going strong (IMO)???

Hard to believe, but I heard the anime got really poor ratings in Japan. The most we can hope for is another OVA or movie.

HopelessLover
2004-07-20, 10:45
It doesn't really matter to me who takes hajime no ippo becuase either way I'm going to buy the whole box set for the series ^^

(yes, I just love this series)

DeluxSkillz
2004-07-21, 11:03
it did not get bad ratings it was voted best anime of the year 2001 and 2002, the manga covers twice as much as the anime and is still going it's very popular in japan, nobody knows the real reason why they stopped at ep 76 because the manga is still going strong, i'm definately buying the dvds because HnI is one of the best animes ever

SirCanealot
2004-07-21, 17:30
It doesn't really matter to me who takes hajime no ippo becuase either way I'm going to buy the whole box set for the series ^^

I hope by 'boxset' you mean all of the offically licenced R1 DVDs, and not a bootlegged boxset - as there probably won't be a R1 boxset for quite some time - if ever.

it did not get bad ratings it was voted best anime of the year 2001 and 2002, the manga covers twice as much as the anime and is still going it's very popular in japan, nobody knows the real reason why they stopped at ep 76 because the manga is still going strong, i'm definately buying the dvds because HnI is one of the best animes ever

It got best anime of 2001 and 2002 in Japan? News to me. Where did you hear this? Post a website, or something.

Zidane
2004-07-22, 09:08

It was, what's your source for that? Anyway, from what i understood it didnt have the best timeslot and channel to get the ratings either. But i did see it in the top 10 animes allot on that old site that had the monthly ratings :P .

Well out of the 2000-2002 animes i watched (mostly the top10 stuff) it sure was one if not my favourite. I could never really understand why it wouldnt be populair, i mean, some idiots said the music sucked, cause it wasnt the typical anime style music, it was jazz/rock like stuff, perfect for a boxing story, no matter if it was anime or not. Loads of drums, trumpets, man, it owned. ' I mean, cmon its the fuzion guitar king Tsuneo Imahori (trigun, gungrave) who did it, that mans awsome, he mixed music styles with the greatest ease. Rarely have i seen such strong guitar pieces in anime.

Then there was the story about the animation being bad: bs, the animation was fluid, the art was not amazing, but it wasnt anywhere near the worst thing i ever saw. Especialy the ova's where amazing art and animation imo. The story was both funny in its comedy moments, and exciting during the fights. And the drama was nothing huge, it was just normal day normal person drama, not blown up to soap proportions. Slice of life i would say.

If it really was the ratings/complete lack of intrest for it that stopped it, then i would be really surprised. Another reason maybe, the manga doesnt even give a point to work towards. In the manga atm from what i understand ippo is still just japanese champion. And just now got a world ranking. And he didnt even have his rematch with Miyata even 30 volumes after the anime :\ .

Anyway, i gotta say my earlier statement i made months ago is worthless now that ive seen the dub. The hni dub is a disaster. Its almost fandub level.But dont take my word for it, watch 1 ep and judge for yourselfs :( .
But dont make it stop you from buying the dvds, since theres a good spanish dub, and ofcourse the superior Japanese original version subbed, and you get 5 eps per disc. Shame Geneon treated this series as a very low priority and handed it to some 4th rate voice acting crew.

SirCanealot
2004-07-22, 11:13
I could never really understand why it wouldnt be populair,

Allegedly, it's simply a case of the manga being a LOT better.
Especially as the series heads towards its conclution, they cut out a lot of stuff from the manga version.

Zidane
2004-07-23, 02:34
Allegedly, it's simply a case of the manga being a LOT better.
Especially as the series heads towards its conclution, they cut out a lot of stuff from the manga version.

Thats just a shitload of crap with all due respect. Cause ive been trough the manga , and yes a handfull of things were taken out.But that was all, and by no means where those huge things or crucial things. Its absolute nonsense that the manga was allot better cause they are 90% identical. Compared to your average series based of manga it was kept to a minimum. And you have to understand that the manga chapters the anime was based off where a good deal older then the anime. So some things just had to be slightly changed cause they didnt fit in this time anymore. Since the hni world is the actual world we live in eventhough the characters and story are fictional.

SirCanealot
2004-07-23, 17:19
Perhaps the Jappanese simply like to hold different opinions to us.

Jappanese also like reading more, than the generic lazy English/American person.

Maybe...

Zidane
2004-07-27, 08:56
Yea, its a fact the opinions are different, but the whole society is different as well.
Good thing im neither American or Canadian plus i read allot. Reading manga i dont really concidder reading , its pictures with some text. Its not exactly deep literature :P .

Puar
2004-09-30, 16:59
I'd been curious for some time about the differences between Manga and Anime for awhile and just started reading through the Manga not too long ago. Off the top of my head, the only significant, noticeable differences that I remember up to right after Saeki's fight with Sendo is...

1) Ippo does not see Mashiba fight during the Pro Boxer Test and, actually, a good bit of stuff was added in the Anime for the Pro Boxer Test that wasn't in the Manga.
2) Before the Ozuma fight, Aoki colors his skin to try to get Ippo to get used to fighting a darker toned opponent.
3) Takamaura visits Ippo and Aoki at their homes before the Aoki/Kimura Flashback rather than showing up at the Gym to tell them Kimura is sick after their comeback matches.
4) There are more references to Tyson in the Manga, maybe because by the time the Anime was made he had a not so good reputation anymore.

There are other small divergences, but none that I can remember right now. Like someone said, from what I see, it's 90%+ following the Manga faithfully. And, though I haven't gotten there yet, I did peruse through later chapters of the Manga and the Anime, or rather, the Champion Road movie excludes the match between Kobashi and Hayami for Sanada's forfeited belt.

Three parting notes:

1) Snoopy, I don't care what you think, you guys are 'The Man!'
2) Here's to hoping for at least another OVA, that way, if we go chronologically, it would be Miyata's bout for the OBPF Title.
3) Have you guys heard the Fighting Spirit (http://www.fightingspiritdvd.com) Dubs? *cringe*