PDA

View Full Version : Higurashi Kai - Episode 12 delay discussion

Pages : [1] 2

Pellissier
2007-09-19, 07:58
This thread has been created to discuss the delay of Higurashi Kai, episode 12.

It is meant to share comments and infos. While being disappointed is understandable, please keep a clean language and discuss peacefully.

Due to the recent policeman murder case (http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/20070920TDY02008.htm) that has raised quite a commotion the last episode of School Days anime was canceled, due to being a 'touchy subject' at this time. This has extended to Higurashi series as well, and the last episode [12] was pulled back, and the TV station is airing another show in this timeslot. As of now there is no telling whether other TV stations are going to follow suite, and as such the actual airing time of episode 12 is unknown. More detailed explanation on the subject can be seen here. (http://animehistory.wordpress.com/2007/09/20/tsumihoroboshi-hen-doomed-higurashi-kai-12-school-days-boat-took-higurashi-with-it/)

Furthermore, media seems to be trying to relate Higurashi anime to the incident as well, seeing the murder invloved a teenage girl and an axe as the weapon. Actual media discussion can be seen in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KRbodCk7c). What effect this is going to have on Higurashi series or anime in general is anyone's guess.

This Thread is meant as a place to discuss the issue and to express your thoughts and concerns about it. Please try to remain civil while discussing the subject - we understand the frustration, but lets try and keep things in orderly fashion.

cf18
2007-09-19, 08:16
http://www.iza.ne.jp/news/newsarticle/85310

Will we see episode 12, or will it get delayed like School Days final?

MarthX
2007-09-19, 08:33
http://www.iza.ne.jp/news/newsarticle/85310

Will we see episode 12, or will it get delayed like School Days final?

I'm wondering that myself.

Tokai TV still lists it for tomorrow but that doesn't guarantee it'll air.

Klashikari
2007-09-19, 08:41
you are getting paranoid...
except if something "somewhat" similar happen in this episode, it won't be canceled.
and seriously, considering the preview, and the stage of the series, nope, almost no way in hell they can find "violence" somewhat similar to this ax murder. (which is much more striking for the case of School Days)
that "could" be the case for some episodes of the season 1, that's it.

we shall see soon, but if it is that a problem, they would already cancel right now. (while it wasn't possible for SD, as the news fall the very dam day)

FatPianoBoy
2007-09-19, 14:31
The heck? Am I reading this article wrong, or is the journalist trying to perform a flying leap of logic by mentioning that the girl was an aspiring mangaka and then connecting that to the scenario in Higurashi?
If so, the Japanese media is just as bad as America's. And since when is 2-chan a good journalistic source?

User65554
2007-09-19, 14:47
^The media is like that where ever you go.
Not that I could actually read that...

Chibi_Faerie
2007-09-19, 16:12
I could barelyread that... Google translator sucks, is there any English news reportof this...? I cant tell if they are saying she watched, read or played Higurashi, or was just a fan of anime and games before murdering her father?? By the sounds ofit it's similar but Rena never killed actualfamily members with her ax... Sounds likea similar event that happened not long ago that looked like a copy of one of the csi shows on tv where they wanted to pin it as being the show that inspired people.

Ok after some more googling found an English Japan news site, http://www.japantoday.com/jp/news/418572 So it really did happen, but it doesn't point out any relation to her interests or anything about the anime. Since it's english it probably left out a lot I guess.

FatPianoBoy
2007-09-19, 17:23
My translation of this article (http://www.iza.ne.jp/news/newsarticle/85310), guaranteed 80% accurate:

On the morning of the 18th in Kyoto, a shocking event occurred: a girl (16) hacked her father's (45) head in half with an axe.
The suspect arrested is the second daughter who, upon graduating middle school, dreamed of becoming a mangaka, among other things. In a game described as featuring a series of mysterious deaths in a mountain village, of which a manga was also made, "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni," a scene depicts a young girl using an axe in a similar manner. The connection to the event was pointed by someone on the internet.

Chibi_Faerie
2007-09-19, 17:34
That helps a little, though the other article has some comments from people who read other articles saying there were some problems with the family and I believe that her father was having other 'relationships'. Apparently she also bought a black dress to do it after buying the ax a few days before. In Higurashi's case it was her fathers mistress having the other relationships. But then I guess it is sort of similar..

BakaOnna
2007-09-19, 17:46
Geez, I hope stuff that like won't lead to the cancellation of Kai. That would royally suck. :(

Matrim
2007-09-19, 17:56
Oh, good, let's also bash and in the end forbid all anime with guns since, you know, people around the world are being killed with firearms every day...Man, I hate sensationalisic journalism.

hipeach
2007-09-19, 19:50
what the hell? what does a girl going haywire and killing her father have anything to do with anime? can't they distinct between fiction and reality? I thought this is japan, not china or korea :confused:

at least can't she kill her father after school days and higurashi kai finish first :(

Sterling01
2007-09-19, 19:54
Well it does prove that America's not the only country that overacts about things

Klashikari
2007-09-20, 07:46
*deep sigh*
well, fellow members, i will eat my words with huge bitterness.

basically, today, Tokai TV decides to cancel Higurashi no naku koro ni 12, for a... cooking show.
I don't have a frigging idea why they did it, until they were referring to "higurashi => scene in tsumihoroboshi with a girl hacking the head of a bastard => BINGO"
While i wasn't surprised much with School Days, for higurashi, it has nothing to do with it (except if it was for the first season that is)

More rant and description here on the blog (http://animehistory.wordpress.com/2007/09/20/tsumihoroboshi-hen-doomed-higurashi-kai-12-school-days-boat-took-higurashi-with-it/)

*sigh* what a good day...

source : http://www.tokai-tv.com/whatsnew/24/24394.html

cf18
2007-09-20, 07:55
Official site:
http://www.oyashirosama.com/web/kai/news/index.htm#070920

2007.09.20 【東海テレビ】放送休止のお知らせ [9/20放送]
本日27:32~放送を予定しておりました、東海テレビでの放送は、
諸般の事情により休止させて頂きます。
大変申し訳ございませんが、何卒宜しくお願い申し上げます。

Klashikari
2007-09-20, 08:16
looks like the website is horribly assaulted considering how PAINFUL it is to get there.
fortunately, it is announced a good while prior the airing time, so maybe we will see if the other TV stations will do the same or not. (looks like it might be ok for the rest. i would expect a snowball effect otherwise)

Matrim
2007-09-20, 08:25
basically, today, Tokai TV decides to cancel Higurashi no naku koro ni 12, for a... cooking show.
I don't have a frigging idea why they did it, until they were referring to "higurashi => scene in tsumihoroboshi with a girl hacking the head of a bastard => BINGO"

That's insane! So they can cancel TV show because it has violence and supposedly can give lunatics ideas how to kill, yet I have never heard anyone even considering to ban say news bulletins which are often full of gruesome descriptions of crimes, wars (and politicians:)).

Christen
2007-09-20, 08:34
This damn pisses me off. o_O Specially that I've been aching all week not to look at any spoilers.

Sterling01
2007-09-20, 08:48
Why am I getting images of "Cooking with Takano Miyo and friends"?

MarthX
2007-09-20, 09:15
God that fucking sucks.

What will happen to the episode, will it be shown next week?

MrZombie
2007-09-20, 09:33
Yes, I'd also like to know, just what the hell's going to happen now.

Klashikari
2007-09-20, 09:46
there is something really scaring me.
this picture :

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa18/Klashikari1/nata.jpg

i do not pretend to be able to interpret it well whatsoever, so please correct me or add more details if required.
What i could gather is:
The show asked if Games can put make people violet/murderers.
There is the mention of the 16 years old girl on the top left, and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is shown as the game in question...

Why do i believe they think "you have to kill your enemies with a hatchet in this game" crap ?

No wonder why Toukai TV had to withdraw the higurashi episode if such commotion is done by the media...

GyroidFanatic
2007-09-20, 09:52
God that fucking sucks.

What will happen to the episode, will it be shown next week?
There's still 5 or 6 stations left that haven't mentioned whether or not they're going to air it this week.

MarthX
2007-09-20, 09:52
Yes, let's single out Higurashi even though there are thousands of other series with killing.

GyroidFanatic
2007-09-20, 09:56
But how many of those series have girls killing with ax-like things?

Kirarakim
2007-09-20, 09:58
Yes, let's single out Higurashi even though there are thousands of other series with killing.

While I am against the banning of this show there are not many shows that involve violence against young children and young children committing acts of violence.

However I don't feel TV, music, video games and so forth should be blamed for violent acts.

Matrim
2007-09-20, 10:06
While I am against the banning of this show there are not many shows that involve violence against young children and young children committing acts of violence.

Young children? Only Satoko and Rika could be considered as such and I haven't noticed them killing anyone. And violence commited by teenagers happens quite often in action anime. If the media pressure forces TVs to cancel a Higurashi episode, the media might as well press for the arrest the producers of say Black Lagoon for the Hensel and Gretel episodes...

Deathkillz
2007-09-20, 10:09
Now this is just stupid. Fine enough for school days seens as it draws parallel with normal life but zomg higurashi is just fiction or set in a fiction way. If they are so fixated on synthesizing with the family then all violent games should be called back :rolleyes:

Klashikari
2007-09-20, 10:10
misinformation about the game might be the plague.

just in case people didn't see, since it was pushed on the other page :
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa18/Klashikari1/th_nata.jpg (http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa18/Klashikari1/nata.jpg)

this picture looks like an harbringer of doom...

EDIT: i could get the text for the white quote, so using some silly babelfish.
山村での連続怪死事件がテーマ。
主人公の少女は親の離婚騒動がトラウマに。
斧を使って敵を殺していく。

==> babelfish, with some "decent" grammar fix.

“This game has a theme about continuous mysterious death incident in the moutain.
The protagonist is a girl who got a trauma from the choc of the divorce.
Using an axe, she is killing her enemies.“

yeah right, using Rena example, skipping the details in the same process. WAY TO GO !

Kirarakim
2007-09-20, 10:39
Young children? Only Satoko and Rika could be considered as such and I haven't noticed them killing anyone. And violence commited by teenagers happens quite often in action anime. If the media pressure forces TVs to cancel a Higurashi episode, the media might as well press for the arrest the producers of say Black Lagoon for the Hensel and Gretel episodes...

Satoko and Rika might not have killed anyone but they were brutally killed (and tortured) in arcs. And Satoko did knock Keichii off a bridge.

Mion, Shion, Rena and Keiichi might not be little children but they are still young. The girl who committed the actual murder was only 16.

I honestly don't notice a lot of shows where violent acts of murder and torture are committed by children or teenagers.

And I already said I didn't think the show should be canceled but don't you think you are overreacting? Canceling a TV show does not equal arrests. For all we know they will air the show another week or another station will air it.

Although from what I've seen the first season of Higurashi was a lot worse in violent content than the second season.

MarthX
2007-09-20, 10:42
They should show the episode online.

Supergrunch
2007-09-20, 10:46
山村での連続怪死事件がテーマ。
主人公の少女は親の離婚騒動がトラウマに。
斧を使って敵を殺していく。
A little (but not entirely) more accurate:

The game is about a series of mysterious deaths in a mountain village.
A young girl protagonist is suffering trauma from the divorce of her parents.
She uses a hatchet to kill her enemies.

And yes, this is ridiculous, I hope the other stations don't jump on the bandwagon.

Matrim
2007-09-20, 10:52
And I already said I didn't think the show should be canceled but don't you think you are overreacting. Canceling a TV show does not equal arrests.

I was being sarcastic.

I honestly don't notice a lot of shows where violent acts of murder and torture are committed by children or teenagers.

Maybe so if one thinks in terms of actual crimes but young characters dying or killing is pretty common. In virtually every mecha the protagonists are young and are forced to defeat and cause the death of enemy pilots. There is virtual cannibalism in Claymore and no one seems to be complaining. Light in Death Note killed tons of people while he was a teen and he was a hero for a lot of the viewers. In Noir some of the characters started killing before their tenth birthday...and I am talking about some of the protagonists. And so on and so forth.

“This game has a theme about continuous mysterious death incident in the moutain.
The protagonist is a girl who got a trauma from the choc of the divorce.
Using an axe, she is killing her enemies.“

Even if Higurashi had a murder which is virtually the same as the one that happened in real life so lot? That doesn't prove there is a cause and effect connection betweeen the anime/game and the murder. Next thing you know when some hitman is arrested Noir might be cited as his/her inspiration...

aohige
2007-09-20, 11:00

"single out"?

You must have missed the news that School Days final episode was canned for the exact same reason. :heh:

Cruel
2007-09-20, 11:00
This is freakin retarded! C'mon people, WAKE UP! How far is too far? They've definitely went too far in cancelling Higurashi.

While I'm on it. In regards to the School Days incident.
NICE FOOD! will be what I'm looking for when I watch that cooking show that's in place of Higurashi...

MarthX
2007-09-20, 11:02
School Days is a lot more similar to the incident. I know for a fact that nothing in 12 would have been. It was pulled simply because Higurashi is known for being violent.

Kusaja
2007-09-20, 11:10
School Days is a lot more similar to the incident. I know for a fact that nothing in 12 would have been. It was pulled simply because Higurashi is known for being violent.

Which is senseless, but then again they aren't even describing Higurashi correctly and in context in that sign either...paranoia and hysteria don't care much for the details, do they?

MarthX
2007-09-20, 12:09
7/20: Tokai Television - FAIL
7/21: KBS Kyoto - ?
7/24: Sun Television - ?
7/26: AT-X - ? (BEST CHANCE)
7/29: tvk - ?

6 more days of waiting. Ugh...

But on the bright side if Tokai only skips 12. We'll see 12 on AT-X then 13 the next day on Tokai. But since 13 is a lot bloodier than 12 I don't have much faith.

Klashikari
2007-09-20, 12:17
the thing is the tense might be dropped within the week.
Also, considering they swapped a show for Higurashi, they might insert the episode 12 somewhere.

there is however a very VERY dangerous news with what i have shown :
http://zepy.momotato.com/2007/09/20/how-to-axe-an-anime/

i'm not... not really relieved

Kristen
2007-09-20, 12:24

I kind of disagree. I think that it was more appropriate to pull Higurashi than
school days. School days was either going to be a saw cutting someone, or a stabbing. While it is violent, it is less similar. It's the quick single stroke or stab that results in the death, and the motions are much different. And axe and Rena's cleaver have the same motions to them, and are typically used to attack more than once. They are actually very similar.

But they replaced Higurashi with... a cooking show? If it's that needed, shouldn't they change it from a violent show to a non-violent? Maybe the slicing of the meat will make somone thing to kill her father? :eyespin:

MarthX
2007-09-20, 12:26
Except Kai 12 doesn't involve Rena using her cleaver at all. School Days 12 apparently had someone being stabbed which is no surprise since it's been foreshadowing it for the past two episodes.

Cruel
2007-09-20, 12:28
the thing is the tense might be dropped within the week.
Also, considering they swapped a show for Higurashi, they might insert the episode 12 somewhere.

there is however a very VERY dangerous news with what i have shown :
http://zepy.momotato.com/2007/09/20/how-to-axe-an-anime/

i'm not... not really relieved

That depresses me... How stupid can you be to blame anime and especially when you have the wrong impression of the series. C'mon. Ugh...leh sigh!

Klashikari
2007-09-20, 12:29
Let's not mention that the circumstances are much more different.
Considering how Rena was in such condition, it isn't as similar as School days.
The murders were done as a "need" and as an "enemy to terminate".

SD and the incident is centred about "hatred" more likely.

And sorry, the "motion" of an axe is nowhere near of a cleaver, which can be used somewhat like a knife.
And if we consider how close and "realist" both shows are, SD is much closer in this incident than school days.

Mappy
2007-09-20, 12:39
This only confirms my suspicions that the media is run by imbeciles, considering the show has moved on so far from anything that even remotely places it in danger of looking like it is emulating this unfortunate incident. But, I dare say, having the current arc with the title 'Minagoroshi-hen' probably isn't doing the show any favours at all. At least, in the minds of the imbeciles.

With any luck, they're just going to hold things off until this all cools down. But really.... I'm feeling like Zetsubou-sensei right about now: I am in despair!

cf18
2007-09-20, 12:39
It is creeping into mainstream newspaper now...
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20070920-00000932-san-soci

Dark Wing
2007-09-20, 12:55
So lets see here the daughter killed the father with an axe. The reason the father was killed was because he was spending all his time and money on a new girlfriend and the daughter didn't like her at all. After they talked the daughter got upset and got the axe.

That was the official story...That just screams Tsumihoroboshi-hen.:twitch:

Seriously though people this may spell the end of anime as we currently know it so look forward to more shows like Lucky Star in the near future...:heh:

Mappy
2007-09-20, 12:56
This is like watching a trainwreck in slow motion. :sad:

Klashikari
2007-09-20, 13:00
So lets see here the daughter killed the father with an axe. The reason the father was killed was because he was spending all his time and money on a new girlfriend and the daughter didn't like her at all. After they talked the daughter got upset and got the axe.

That was the official story...That just screams Tsumihoroboshi-hen.:twitch:

that's completely the reversed way.
Rena slaughtered Rina and Teppei, as a way to protect her family.

the girl in question is in wreck, she hated her father, and the rest of the family didn't give crap of it, or the fact she was abused.
===> hello to berserk mode. this looks MUCH MORE like SD than tsumi if you ask me.

Cruel
2007-09-20, 13:00
This is freakin drama. I can't wait to see what other anime they'll cancel...*sarcasm*

MarmoO
2007-09-20, 13:08
I think it may be interesting as a sociological subject, looks like no matter where, media are always the same. I hope that Higurashi won't be slaughtered as a scapegoat here ;_;.

Dark Wing
2007-09-20, 13:08
that's completely the reversed way.
Rena slaughtered Rina and Teppei, as a way to protect her family.

the girl in question is in wreck, she hated her father, and the rest of the family didn't give crap of it, or the fact she was abused.
===> hello to berserk mode. this looks MUCH MORE like SD than tsumi if you ask me.

Still the similarities are so close no wonder they pulled the show. Actually if I remember right I heard this whole blame thing got started because a couple of guys on 2chan were jocking about it...:rolleyes:

Mappy
2007-09-20, 13:15
Still the similarities are so close no wonder they pulled the show. Actually if I remember right I heard this whole blame thing got started because a couple of guys on 2chan were jocking about it...:rolleyes:

Yes, but we're so far past these events, canon-wise, that canceling the show now just looks like an act of reactionary desperation. It doesn't actually surprise me that they did it, but it was still a stupid thing to do.

Klashikari
2007-09-20, 13:18
You want the reportage? here you go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KRbodCk7c

maximum anger around 7:31.

Happy fun time with medias !

Dark Wing
2007-09-20, 13:27
Yes, but we're so far past these events, canon-wise, that canceling the show now just looks like an act of reactionary desperation. It doesn't actually surprise me that they did it, but it was still a stupid thing to do.

True but look at it form the anime companies point of view. There have been loads of crimes blamed on violent anime and has been making all the companies and fans look bad. Since the young girl in this case said in an interview that she wanted to be mangaka it makes the anime community look even worse now. So naturally these companies don't want take the risk of being crushed all together. In other words pick your battles when you know you can win.

Surely this is just a temporary knee-jerk reaction though. I really can't see shows being permanently canceled just because of a murder story what with anime being a multi-billion dollar industry and all. Money talks, especially in Japan.

maximum anger around 7:31.

Happy fun time with medias !

If anything the Japanese media are just doing what media does best, over blowing everything. They find a possible scapegoat and they go insane over it disregarding any other potential causes that are more likely.

Conan-san
2007-09-20, 13:28
Seriously though people this may spell the end of anime as we currently know it so look forward to more shows like Lucky Star in the near future...:heh:No, Lucky Star is too good for this Bad Future, it's all Key Erogame anime all the time, UGUU, MOTHER FUCKERS.

If you'll excuse me, I have a shotgun to french kiss.

hcl4
2007-09-20, 13:29
I think it doesn't help that the opening for Higurashi Kai features a bloody hatchet albeit for just a brief second.

Fear-less+heart
2007-09-20, 13:30
I wonder if they would have preempt Higurashi Kai and the final episode of school days, if this event happean a one after the final episode of school days.

Mappy
2007-09-20, 13:45

I think I'm more outraged by the sheer awfulness of this news/media report than the murder and its unsustainable and unsupportable pop-psychology explanations. It looks like a children's light-entertainment show gone wrong, with all the dodgy props, screens and presenters with pointers. :mad:

Dark Wing
2007-09-20, 13:49
I think it may be interesting as a sociological subject, looks like no matter where, media are always the same. I hope that Higurashi won't be slaughtered as a scapegoat here ;_;.

Thats that totally true...

In Japan they blame violent anime.

In America they blame violent video games.

They blame video games all the time in America, but rarely does it actually affect anything. It's just a lot of hot air being blown around by idiots. The actual people don't give a damn, and don't even listen.

I hope it is the same in Japan though I can't help but wonder when they'll start on video games too.

I think I'm more outraged by the sheer awfulness of this news/media report than the murder and its unsustainable and unsupportable pop-psychology explanations. It looks like a children's light-entertainment show gone wrong, with all the dodgy props, screens and presenters with pointers. :mad:

This is insane. You don't need to see an anime or video game to pull that kind of stunt. All it takes is hatred. No one has even mentioned the situation of the family, maybe the dad was a jerk. I'm only see one solid fact, that it happened. They don't cancel violent shows in America because some kid decided to do this or that.

USCPharmacist
2007-09-20, 13:59
What the hell? did you guys copy pasta from 4 chan or you guys posy on 4 chan as well :)

Anyway, it's like 9-11, company are always pussy when it comes to these matters so that's no surprise. Although I am royally piss that I have to wait for the Dvd to find out all the answers. On the other hand, calling the death of the axe girl would just feed those faggot reporters who usually know absolutely nothing about everything. I swear that we need to look at what kind of crap those journalism school are teaching our kids to see if they are not wasting their parents' money :)

BTW, I hope that ATX would air it, seeing it is a private channel (like cable? right?)

MarmoO
2007-09-20, 14:00
I think I'm more outraged by the sheer awfulness of this news/media report than the murder and its unsustainable and unsupportable pop-psychology explanations.

I wonder why in tv there are almost always psychologists (often professors) whose analysis and theories are worth not much more than middlescholer's homework. :/

Matrim
2007-09-20, 14:05
Blaming violent anime or games for murders is even more stupid than suing the murder weapon for the murder. It's as if these imbeciles believe that the perpetrators never knew the notion of murder existed before playing a certain game or watching a certain anime. If one needs ideas how to commit a murder he needs only to watch the daily news bulletin.

The idiocy of the whole situation is mindblowing. Hello, the most widely read author of the 20th century (judging by the number of sold books) happens to be Agatha Christie, whose books are always about murders and the modus operandi of the murderer is always described in detail. But has anyone heard of a journalist calling for mystery novels to be banned? How bloody hypocritical and retarded can the media get?

Dark Wing
2007-09-20, 14:06
What the hell? did you guys copy pasta from 4 chan or you guys posy on 4 chan as well :)

Shhhh....remember Anonymous...;)

Anyway, it's like 9-11, company are always pussy when it comes to these matters so that's no surprise. Although I am royally piss that I have to wait for the Dvd to find out all the answers. On the other hand, calling the death of the axe girl would just feed those faggot reporters who usually know absolutely nothing about everything. I swear that we need to look at what kind of crap those journalism school are teaching our kids to see if they are not wasting their parents' money :)

I can understand what the companies are trying to do but it's the media thats blowing all the anti-anime stuff up. stupid journalism whores...:frustrated:

BTW, I hope that ATX would air it, seeing it is a private channel (like cable? right?)

Heres really really hoping that happens...:(

But has anyone heard of a journalist calling for mystery novels to be banned? How bloody hypocritical and retarded can the media get?

A few hundred years ago I would've said yea... If history teaches us anything it's that people will always blame everything except for the person really responsible...

Mappy
2007-09-20, 14:15
I wonder why in tv there are almost always psychologists (often professors) whose analysis and theories are worth not much more than middlescholer's homework. :/

I think you've just answered your question: because their work in the field of psychiatry/psychology is mediocre at best (or wannabe at worst), and they need to do something else to rake in the $$$. Something I've experienced first-hand through the convention circles in the field of autism and asperger syndrome here in Australia. But that's getting well off-topic (not to mention potentially libelous), so I'll stop here.

Most of the time, though, the media won't need anyone with even the slightest knowledge of the subject to make such comments, especially if it doesn't help to feed the snowballing frenzy of the story, which is what is happening, right now, with the linking of this murder to events in Higurashi. And all it took were a couple of people making jokes about it on 2chan. :uhoh:

Dark Wing
2007-09-20, 14:23
And all it took were a couple of people making jokes about it on 2chan. :uhoh:

Heres an idea! Someone go over to 2chan and start blaming everything on outside influences of other nations. That should fix everything...oh wait.:heh:

harukamae
2007-09-20, 14:31
LOL I was wondering why three pages of posts disappeared from the Q&A ;)

Meh, I don't blame TVT for their postponing the episode, what with some things that have happened on the show in the past and all, and seeing how this series still has 14 or so eps to go, they will probably air the ep next week. Bleh still a bummer and a bit frustrating to see the media blow things out of proportion instead of trying to find a solution (not that there always is one, unfortunately). The YouTube video reminded me of when the London bombings happened and they took a model city and put colorful cards complete with explosion sound effect at each area of the city where there was an incident. Such a serious story but with all these colorful visuals...Just interesting to see how news is covered on Japanese TV.

Thanks to klash and the others providing us with news sources.

Mappy
2007-09-20, 14:33
Heres an idea! Someone go over to 2chan and start blaming everything on outside influences of other nations. That should fix everything...oh wait.:heh:

Hehe. ;)

It is, in current retrospect, a silly thing to have done, but they couldn't have imagined what would have come from it when they made the comments, so I'm not really blaming them. I'd made a similar allusion on a local anime forum as a joke, so I'd be a hypocrite to state otherwise. :heh:

The Japanese media, in fact all media, would, after this kind of event, have been trawling websites for anything they could use to keep said story snowballing, and one of them happened upon these little gems on 2chan. So I suppose you can't really blame them, either. I mean, if it were your job, you'd probably do it, too. :heh:

ayukanon45
2007-09-20, 14:41
im looking foward to the movie of the axe girl murder
coming soon to a theater near you

Dark Wing
2007-09-20, 14:45
im looking foward to the movie of the axe girl murder
coming soon to a theater near you

You beat me to it. :p

kj1980
2007-09-20, 15:06
How bloody hypocritical and retarded can the media get?

The same reason why Japanese people mock the media as massgomi

footnote:
The media is known as masskomi in Japan, which comes from the word "mass communication." As with any other first world country, the media is filled with bunch of baseless bullshit so Japanese people mock it with the word massgomi, where the word "gomi" means trash.

Which reminds me, I think I'll add this to the otaku lingo thread.

monir
2007-09-20, 15:44

Absolutely shameless! *shakes head*

BakaOnna
2007-09-20, 15:47
I'm getting really worried after reading this thread. They're not going to actually cancel the show right? Because of the whole "connections" with the ax and girl murdering her dad. I mean, if she killed him with a katana, then wouldn't actions shows with swords like Claymore or Bleach be canceled as well? This is ridiculous. It's ridiculous and simply human ignorance to blame media for a person's actions.

CJL13
2007-09-20, 15:57
Where did you get news it might be canceled?

Kyanme
2007-09-20, 16:09
I can see why journalists are making a big deal if this. Don't deny it, this is a hot story. A teenage girl hacks her Dad in half: something you'd hear in a movie or anime or book or whatever, eh? And Higurashi 12 wasn't pulled because it was "violent", to my understanding, it's not -- it was pulled because it had the media-vultures all over it. If that's the case, which I'm sure it is, I'm doubtful anyone else will air it, or episode 13. :/ School Days' wasn't pulled because it has no one from the media pointing the finger at it, in other words, no one's bothering to sit down and watch it to see the simlarities.

Also, uh, honestly, this sounds more Higurashi than School Days, to me at least. Small details aside, I don't recall an axe/cleaver/hatchet whatever in School Days. Correct me if I'm wrong. xD; Sounds pretty "Rena" to me. You can't blame Higurashi directly for this no, but you can say it inspired her. We've got no proof supporting either claim, however, so until the girl actually gives a detailed "report" of what was happening, I'm doubtful Higurashi will be airing. I do hope I'm wrong though. ;_;'

EDIT: NVM about the School Days bit, Stupidity came and hit me in the head. :D

shigure asa
2007-09-20, 16:12
translate of this thread is on niconico~~ 'nice food'!! (http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1104733)

i didn't read the description and thought 'i read this before right? right?' until seeing klashikari's signature at 1:04 -3-

bayoab
2007-09-20, 16:15
Hate to derail the paranoia train but they do not blame it on Higurashi in that clip. They mention that it is being compared to Higurashi on the internet, the case back in march which was related to a manga, and then the guy explicitly says "We can't go directly saying the show was the cause..." The lady who speaks after him also basically says 'it's not like higurashi is the only series with violence'.

MarthX
2007-09-20, 16:19
That's good but as long as they mention the two together it will give Higurashi a bad image, and as long as it has a bad image networks will be too scared to air it.

Klashikari
2007-09-20, 16:22
That's correct. the problem is that they protrayed the game just like a big possible way to be a relevant source of the girl... "madness".
While they indeed said it isn't the diret cause of it, the manner and how it is exposed has already done an impact on the watchers.

it is like a politician speech about a huge idea, but talking sneakely of the reversed edge of it later on. the mass just can get "huge idea" without the additional information etc.

Due the striking similarities, this kind of "suggestion" can be considered as "information".
These watchers are then as idiotic as the presentators as the former don't pay attention to the end, while the later didn't really explained much.
It is kinda laughable to begin to compare with games and such, while the authorities didn't even portrayed her psychology officialy. Frankly, what was the point with this comparison anyway?

monir
2007-09-20, 16:25
Hate to derail the paranoia train but they do not blame it on Higurashi in that clip. They mention that it is being compared to Higurashi on the internet, the case back in march which was related to a manga, and then the guy explicitly says "We can't go directly saying the show was the cause..." The lady who speaks after him also basically says 'it's not like higurashi is the only series with violence'.
The point was to put an anime with violence, and Higurashi seems to have fit the bill nicely. Whatever has been mentioned afterward doesn't take away the fact Higurashi has been put under the limelight. They have pointed their fingers at something and played the game of delicacy at the same time. On the bright side, I believe Higurashi got a nice little free advertisement. I won't be surprised if the DVD sale of the series increses significantly in the upcoming days. :)

Meatrose
2007-09-20, 16:34
I'm getting really worried after reading this thread. They're not going to actually cancel the show right? Because of the whole "connections" with the ax and girl murdering her dad. I mean, if she killed him with a katana, then wouldn't actions shows with swords like Claymore or Bleach be canceled as well? This is ridiculous. It's ridiculous and simply human ignorance to blame media for a person's actions.

Nope, I don't think that they'd jump at Claymore and Bleach. Claymore features modified human warriors killing monsters (and sometimes fighting amongst themselves ofc, but they're not "human"). And Bleach... well, it's very cartoonish since no one ever dies, no matter how much of a beating they take, and no matter how many times they taste the steel of the opponents blade. Higurashi on the other hand, shows young girls (relates to this incident) torturing and killing each other (and others) in what could be described as really sadistic ways, and the violence is really something else compared to the violence in the shows mentioned above. This is more vivid due to the graphic nature of the violence, and it's a lot more terrifying due to the psychotic nature of the violence. I'm not at all surprised that they chose to use Higurashi as an example.

Then, what do I think of it? Well... I think it's completely retarded. For starters... the episode containing the segment that they're referring to was aired more than one year ago, and the way they refer to the show in general makes it sound like something solely featuring young girls (about the same age as this Kyoto-girl, AMAGAD!!1!) killing adults, young children and whatever comes their way basically. I'm so sick and tired of the way media around the world tend to blow stuff out of proportion in order to get higher ratings. Just think about this; how many of those making themselves comfy in their favorite chair after a hard days work, who watches this sorry excuse for journalism, gains an understanding of what Higurashi is that even remotely resembles the truth? Well, I'd say that the chances of them being more than perhaps a handful is pretty f-ing slim. Note that I'm not including fellas that share our interest in animé/manga/visual novels, I'm talking "Joe Schmoe" here, who... up until now, thought of animé as something only kids and those weird otaku-thingies watch. "Poor" Joe enters a state of shock and blames the animé industry for every single murder these past ten years.

Okay, I know I'm exaggerating a lot here, but you get the picture. I'm so sick and tired of all this. I would like to add though, that I sort of understand why School Days episode 12 was taken off the air for the time being, due to what is probably going to happen in that specific episode and how it relates to the incident in Kyoto. What pisses me off though is this endless debate (witchhunt?) in media claiming that violent movies, TV-series and games somehow turns people into these psychotic monsters... all this whilst totally ignoring the basic conditions of this particular situation - in this case all the triggering factors that her own god damn life throws at her. "Hmm... did she kill her father because he was a piece of shit that she truly hated? No, uh uh! She mentioned that she wanted to be a mangaka (a fairly popular dream among young adults) so the cause of all this must be all this godforsaken animé-stuff we hear about on the news."

I know I already used this quote today in the School Days thread, but I'm going to reuse it. "Movies don't create psychos! Movies make psychos more creative."

Note: I'm a really tired, pissed-off and not entirely sober swede (haha), so it wouldn't surprise me at all if my post contains bad grammar and typos, but guess what... I'm not in the mood for proofreading at the moment. Good night, I'm off to bed. I bet I'll dream some really nasty dreams. :rolleyes:

Kirarakim
2007-09-20, 16:37
Well the rumor mill is already starting. On live journal there are people mistakingly claiming that the girl was a Higurashi fan.

BakaOnna
2007-09-20, 16:42
Either way, this won't be pretty or end well.

I have a question. Do anime/shows actually get canceled in Japan for stuff like this? I know they've postponed that episode in FMP with the hijacking, and they've banned an episode in Pokemon because it was related to earthquakes that just happened. But would they actually cancel Higurashi if people thought it influenced the girls' actions?

shigure asa
2007-09-20, 17:02
Either way, this won't be pretty or end well.

I have a question. Do anime/shows actually get canceled in Japan for stuff like this? I know they've postponed that episode in FMP with the hijacking, and they've banned an episode in Pokemon because it was related to earthquakes that just happened. But would they actually cancel Higurashi if people thought it influenced the girls' actions?

there is still a chance that kbs will air it since it's still on the schedule (http://www.kbs-kyoto.co.jp/now_on_air/tv.htm?p=0)
if not, it looks like a BAD END for higurashi

MarthX
2007-09-20, 17:14
there is still a chance that kbs will air it since it's still on the schedule (http://www.kbs-kyoto.co.jp/now_on_air/tv.htm?p=0)
if not, it looks like a BAD END for higurashi

If AT-X doesn't show it then it's BAD END

Omfgbbqwtf
2007-09-20, 17:18
O wow... That's quite something....As long as the case doesn't prevent higurashi Kai from continuing, I can wait for awhile... I guess..

Chibi_Faerie
2007-09-20, 17:54
I'm sure once the truth comes to light about why she murdered him the way she did and it's not related to higurashi that it will be alright. Be nice to find an article that is staying on one track though. between it being simply because of her father cheating on her mother, or abusing her or the family, or both, either way it sounded like the guy wasn't the greatest man alive or about to win any father of the year awards. The news report was friggin wacky looking. Pointers? Little boards with sticky pull offs...? Geez... I can see Steve Murphy now... Holding a brightly colored board telling a gravely serious news story... Ya... Any how, it seems like people are more quick to jump and blame anime and video games or tv shows. I remember when a woman put up this really big fuss when my brother was in Kindegarten, she made the teachers ban bugs bunny and relations from school. Too Violent... I know this is really off the beaten path but what I am saying is anyone will pick at something no matter how great or how little violence there is in something. I think it should more be lookedat as someones own choice to do what they did. Not the influence of the show. It may have influenced their decision on how to do it. But it's the person and the stress causing a frailty of their mind. Higurashi shows how this can happen actually. I'm not surprised that higurashi pointed to in this incident. Though surprised that it's been effected this much considering the episode in question happened in the first season, last year. Over a year ago as was mentioned in an earlier post. Is there a posibility there were more flash backs in this episode perhaps to give enough grounds to post pone or cancel further airing altogether...? Because if so I would understand it a little better out of respect to the family. Though I hope we don't lose the rest of the series altogether. I really was enjoying the unraveling of the mystery.

Either way, I know higurashi hasn't turned me into a heartless psychotic murderer. Sure I joke about showingall stupid people of the world the meaning of wantanagashi :P but if I meant that then I wouldn't be here right now spending all this time typing this up. I'd be running myself ragged trying to cleanse the world:P... I know I jumped around a lot, but just had a bad day and felt like ranting about something.

Kang Seung Jae
2007-09-20, 18:14
I hope something like what happened to FMP Season 1 doesn't happens: Getting delayed for almost 3 months because of 9/11

Matrim
2007-09-20, 18:18
The media is known as masskomi in Japan, which comes from the word "mass communication." As with any other first world country, the media is filled with bunch of baseless bullshit so Japanese people mock it with the word massgomi, where the word "gomi" means trash.
That's nice to hear, anyone who despises the sensaniolist crap which usually passes for journalism these days deserves praise.

She mentioned that she wanted to be a mangaka (a fairly popular dream among young adults) so the cause of all this must be all this godforsaken animé-stuff we hear about on the news."
Hey, if she had said she wanted to become a nun, would they have closed a few churches? Of course not. If she wanted to become a writer would book releases have been delayed. Of course not. The hypocricy is sickening. I might actually even watch School Days as a sign of protest.

I'm sure once the truth comes to light about why she murdered him the way she did and it's not related to higurashi that it will be alright.I suspect mainsteam media might not bother to report it because "anime series made me do it" is so much more "thrilling" news than say "I hated my father's new girlfriend".

Because if so I would understand it a little better out of respect to the family.Call me weird but the family with the possible exception of the perpetrator, probably hasn't even heard of Higurashi. The way to show respect would be not to make this into a top news story or at least not start a witch hunt. Of course, that's impossible in today's journalistic world, alas.

MarthX
2007-09-20, 18:19
AT-X is the only station that still lists School Days 12. I think there's a strong chance they will show it.

Chibi_Faerie
2007-09-20, 18:25
True the family probably never heard of it, but if there was a flash back to that episode Iwas saying I would understand them postponing the airing of it till things blow over. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And I agree, dragging it all over the news feels incredibly disrespectful to the family. In other news, apparently a paper in Ireland reported it in one of their international collums saying that the girl killed her father with an ax because she 'didn't like him', according to my friend there. My bet is anything released on the story about the truth is going to get twisted or watered down. I'll be alright with waiting to see what happens next but I just hope they wont cancel it altogether.

Mappy
2007-09-20, 18:34
AT-X is the only station that still lists School Days 12. I think there's a strong chance they will show it.

Let us hope they hold true to their apparent intentions in respect to School Days. As for Higurashi, with no new news about cancellations of episode 12, I dare suggest we might be lucky.

BakaOnna
2007-09-20, 19:24
Y'know, Higurashi got caught up in this all because of the weapon/method she used to kill her father. If she used a knife or some, god forbid, normal weapon, would the people on 2chan still found the connection between the two? Sure, the girl's situation was slightly similar to that of Rena's, but surely that would not have caused such a ruckus over this series.

At least she didn't use a bat. :eyebrow:

MarthX
2007-09-20, 19:27
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/8964/renakillmangace6.jpg

Chibi_Faerie
2007-09-20, 19:31
*Points tomanga picture* in the words of my little brother....

:Dude was pwned... and actually there is another difference, Tepei got it right down the center of the noggin, not a gash in his throat. and he isn't Rena's father. O.o

Joachim
2007-09-20, 19:49
Jesus... This is MADNESS, MADNESS?! THIS IS MASSGOMII!!

okay enough with the joke, i can see why the media can pinpoint this incident to stuff like higurashi and school days.. but seriously this doesn't look good for the future.. (or maybe until the "axing" hype cools down) all i can say.. petition? mass demonstration (higurashi style?) lol
I hope there is anime protection agency...yea rite.. -_-

FlareKnight
2007-09-20, 20:06
Frankly I think it's pretty close to Claymore.
Young character, monster in the form of her father is eating guts, she sneaks in and kills him with an 'axe'....Didn't look much like a youma so really it's a lot more related then Rena who killed Teppei (not related) and Rina who was going out with her father.

But really this is pretty damn annoying. I mean school days wasn't looking all that good and if it gets delayed it's no big deal. But if something bad happens to Higuarashi because of this then that's something I'm going to be upset about. Seriously hope this doesn't get any more out of control then it already has. Probably things won't go to the worst case but you can't get that slight nervousness out of the back of your mind concerning the series.

I do feel bad for the guy who died. Just so I don't seem completely insensitive.

hipeach
2007-09-20, 20:06
Hey, if she had said she wanted to become a nun, would they have closed a few churches? Of course not. If she wanted to become a writer would book releases have been delayed. Of course not. The hypocricy is sickening. I might actually even watch School Days as a sign of protest.

this just smells Miyazaki Tsutomu Round 2, you know, when there are pervert serial killers from all kinds of people, doctors, lawyers, cooks, IT techs, whatsnot. But when just one pervert serial killer turns out an otaku, the anime industry is blamed. I think the current anime industry is just too scared to face another such impact, so they decide to play it safe :uhoh:

cf18
2007-09-20, 20:39
Come on she dressed in black first. Obviously she was cosplaying this:

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/5691/g1qw5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
:p

iczelion74
2007-09-20, 20:49
If AT-X doesn't show it then it's BAD END

Well theres always the DVD releases, although that will take an ungodly amount of time to get to us.

sezen_atacan
2007-09-20, 20:50
I don't know if you guys mean "cancelled" is equivalent to either indefinatley or permanently.
Does this mean no Matsuribayashi-hen?

Do you think it might lead to harsher censorships?

Klashikari
2007-09-20, 21:07
Once again, we are only at SPECULATION.
The series is NOT announced as cancelled whatsoever.
We don't know if the other TV stations will cancel episode 12 as well or not.

in absolutely no way we know if the rest of the series is affected or not.
For the moment, only episode 12 on TOUKAI TV is affected, that's it, nothing more, nothing less

again, this issue has NOTHING with censorship whatsoever.
so please, don't go too paranoid. we have like 6 days in case of any confirmation.

FlareKnight
2007-09-20, 21:36
I'm sure people are just really nervous. After all it's just reflecting how much people like this series and would be completely blown away if something happened at this point in it. All we can do is take a deep breath and wait and see.

MarthX
2007-09-20, 22:02
The wait is the most painful part.

We can discuss this all night and scourer the web for hope but until more information is made available, we won't know what will happen. I was almost positive that Tokai TV would show it since there were no announcements. Then about 5 hours before air time, they announced a cooking show would replace it.

I would rather know the answer right away instead of having my hope crushed at the last minute.

BakaOnna
2007-09-20, 22:06
It's, as some else stated earlier I think, like watching a train wreck in slow motion. I hate this feeling that it just might be cancelled if the girl actually confessed that she'd been influenced by Higurashi or something in her delusional state. :upset:

Mappy
2007-09-20, 22:09
I know this might have been stated somewhere else, but which station/network is the next in line to air the said episode?

MarthX
2007-09-20, 22:12
KBS Kyoto. Airs in less than 24 hours

http://www.kbs-kyoto.co.jp/now_on_air/tv.htm?p=0

Ahasuerus
2007-09-20, 22:54
*#$%@&*!

That's going to throw everything coming after off as well :mad:

This updated ANN newsbrief gives us a slight bit of hope though:

http://http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-09-20/higurashi-kai-preempted-due-to-various-circumstances

And wait for the DVD??? By the time it comes out it'll probably be time for summer.
Grr... *goes off to sulk and stew*

todkapuz
2007-09-20, 22:55
I'm trying to remember the last time a violent american show was replaced by a mild-mannered cooking show due to violence here in the states.... I vaguely recall something around 9/11... but then again almost all the stations were doing 24/hour news instead of anything realisitc ... hmm...

I dunno... in some ways I understand the decision to postpone (hopefully not cancel) a week... but in others I cant...

But life goes on.... I will be really sickly on the edge of my seat waiting for the next episode.... but tahts life.

All I can say is.... I'll be sure to put 'Nice Food' in my votes for Higu-gals upcomming.

Maids! Maids! Maids!
2007-09-20, 23:17
I'm trying to remember the last time a violent american show was replaced by a mild-mannered cooking show due to violence here in the states.... I vaguely recall something around 9/11... but then again almost all the stations were doing 24/hour news instead of anything realisitc ... hmm...

Cooking show aside, something very similar happened in the United States. Two episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer were delayed after Columbine. One didn't air until the following season. The second, the season finale, was delayed two months: from May to July. We're talking Buffy here, so "level of realism" isn't that much of an issue.

I'm not saying you've done the same thing, but I've seen a couple of threads on /a/ where people (who I suspect are from the U.S.) are getting on their high horse and pointing fingers at Japan. It's just the pot calling the kettle black.

todkapuz
2007-09-20, 23:31
Cooking show aside, something very similar happened in the United States. Two episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer were delayed after Columbine. One didn't air until the following season. The second, the season finale, was delayed two months: from May to July. We're talking Buffy here, so "level of realism" isn't that much of an issue.

I'm not saying you've done the same thing, but I've seen a couple of threads on /a/ where people (who I suspect are from the U.S.) are getting on their high horse and pointing fingers at Japan. It's just the pot calling the kettle black.

*shrugs* these things happen... not much we can do about it... be it in Japan, America, England, Germany, ... where-ever... :)

At least we can have humor (http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=1158037&postcount=3215) in it. Besides we're lucky to get to see the episodes so soon after production oever here anyhow.

Christen
2007-09-20, 23:38

Higurashi is on the 2:30 slot.

There is hope!! GAR K1 has appeared!!

Mappy
2007-09-20, 23:55

Good, that's roughly 2am here. *fingers crossed there is no rude announcement about cooking shows in the meantime* :heh:

Maids! Maids! Maids!
2007-09-21, 00:02
*shrugs* these things happen... not much we can do about it... be it in Japan, America, England, Germany, ... where-ever... :)

At least we can have humor (http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=1158037&postcount=3215) in it. Besides we're lucky to get to see the episodes so soon after production oever here anyhow.

Something funny did happen with the delayed Buffy finale. Apparently, the decision to pull the episode was made just a couple of hours prior to airtime. This didn't sit well with Buffy's Executive Producer, Joss Whedon. The episode did air in Canada, however, and it was capped and uploaded to USENET. Whedon's reaction was, "bootleg it!!!" Imagine that. An American producer urging fans to bootleg his show.

Incidentally, the first episode was pulled by the network because they felt people would think airing it would be callous and insensitive. The season finale was pulled because of hysterical media pressure. Several news organizations picked up a plot element which had high school students arming themselves (to fight vampires). I suspect the stations in Japan have concerns about both: looking callous and getting bashed by a bottom-feeding press.

Ayu-ayu
2007-09-21, 01:09

Well, as for 9/11, Cartoon Network stopped showing their broadcast of the original Gundam series (they later finished it in a marathon, but I didn't find out about that until too late), and they dropped one of the Cowboy Bebop episodes.

Overall though, this reminds me of the hysteria over the Pokemon "epilepsy" incident, which eventually created a media stir abroad and was misreported on frequently, one particularly odious American journalist claiming it the result of anime being "violent Japanese cartoons" or some such. That in turn mobilized a large outcry from upset US anime fans which got a lot of pro-anime media coverage in turn (and ironically helped spur publicity for the upcoming US release of the Pokemon anime...@_@).

It also has hints of the anti-otaku paranoia that resulted from both the Tsutomu Miyazaki incident as well as Aum Shinrikyu's gassing incident. :( I hope this doesn't get out of hand.

Ahasuerus
2007-09-21, 01:37
Now that I've calmed down a bit (by rewatching Kanon :)) I can think more clearly. (BTW, love your avatar, Ayu-Ayu :love:)

I'm sure that the reason for them pulling it was regarding sensitivity issues, which really does make sense. Sensitivity isn't something we're well-known for here in the States (nor do we cultivate it sad to say), thus the intense uproar. I've been reading other Forums and already it's a sh!tstorm.

I'm still very disappointed as I'm over-the-top about this series, but it will air eventually. I just don't want a huge "hole" if they cut both 12 & 13... it'll make the process of putting things together somewhat broken.

Anyway, there are bigger troubles in the world. *tries to believe that* :heh:

On one hand, I'm saddened by what occurred over there wrt the crime, but on the other, I've seen WAY too many cases of overreaction and especially playing the lame blame game by the hystericals. Games, graphic novels, music, anime... they blame whoever they can find without blaming themselves for not raising their children properly in the first place, instead sitting them in front of the equally violent television and movie videos. Somehow those are okay... :twitch:

Anything to abdicate responsibility...

Koopen
2007-09-21, 02:10
I wonder how Ryukishi07 must be feeling right now?....

Green˛
2007-09-21, 02:22
People, they replaced it with a cooking show. You know,.. slicing and dicing. If the network wanted to get peoples minds off of axes and hacking crap, they wouldn't have replaced Higurashi with early morning tentacle monster cook up ripping with chainsaws but not over an open fire. Remember people, safety first when working with gasoline! ^_^

hipeach
2007-09-21, 03:39
Well, as for 9/11, Cartoon Network stopped showing their broadcast of the original Gundam series (they later finished it in a marathon, but I didn't find out about that until too late), and they dropped one of the Cowboy Bebop episodes.

9/11 caused the japanese to delay animes and change PS2 game contents... that's a worldwide effect...

I'm more sad about the Columbine incident forced Freddy vs. Jason to delay and change into a stupider plot than the original plan :(

z3phyr.mp3
2007-09-21, 04:04
i wrote a post of the incident here... (http://atogofundake.wordpress.com/2007/09/21/nice-food/)

most of it of the summary of the events were what i found from various blogs...
it also contains my thoughts on the matter...

LustigerAstronaut
2007-09-21, 04:29
KBS updated their schedule and now it seems that Higurashi is replaced with something like "Rhythm - Breath of the City Edingburgh" (Will it be better than the other show with the boat).
I seems that we have to forget this week and wait for the grass to grow about this whole thing.

MarthX
2007-09-21, 04:38
Now we have to wait 3 more days for another air date.

SUN @ 2:30AM JST on 9/25
http://www.sun-tv.co.jp/program/mon.html

CTC @ 2:00AM JST on 9/25
http://www.chiba-tv.com/010banpyo/2007-0914-1014-7.html

TVS @ 1:30AM JST on 9/25
http://www.teletama.jp/web/data/day/24.html

But I'm sure they'll drop it too. :(

Joachim
2007-09-21, 04:46
i ran out of breath... sob

LuckyCat
2007-09-21, 05:13
I went into Animate today just to see how things looked Higurashi-wise and they were still broadcasting current (Episode 11) episodes in-store, along with the sale of the new DVD+coasters.

Somehow seeing that made me feel better about this whole thing.

LustigerAstronaut
2007-09-21, 07:07
This "Move!" show segment with the presentation board with the sensationalist, out of context writing what Higurashi is about (You could also write that Higurashi is a show about a group of friends that mobilize a whole town to free a little girl from the abuse of her Uncle) was a big blow to Higurashi, even if the "nice lady" in black presented it as normal (We have the game and manga at home too, the children like it).
I think alone the mentioning of the name Higurashi alone in this context was enough for the time (with the cancellation/delay wave of School Days already ongoing), that the TV-stations would also do the same to Higurashi.
As fast as mass media are there when something happens and construct their stories, they are gone too and things return to normal (That's what I hope for in that case).

todkapuz
2007-09-21, 08:15
This "Move!" show segment with the presentation board with the sensationalist, out of context writing what Higurashi is about (You could also write that Higurashi is a show about a group of friends that mobilize a whole town to free a little girl from the abuse of her Uncle) was a big blow to Higurashi, even if the "nice lady" in black presented it as normal (We have the game and manga at home too, the children like it).
I think alone the mentioning of the name Higurashi alone in this context was enough for the time (with the cancellation/delay wave of School Days already ongoing), that the TV-stations would also do the same to Higurashi.
As fast as mass media are there when something happens and construct their stories, they are gone too and things return to normal (That's what I hope for in that case).

I have to agree there... to me Higurashi is not about the killing... .sure there is a lot of it.. especaly in the early arcs.... but the real ending of the whole thing is attempting to escape that fate.. save our friends and ourselves.

Mappy
2007-09-21, 08:18
But I'm sure they'll drop it too. :(

Now I am starting to feel depressed. The train is still in motion even though the carriages have derailed and jacknifed.... :upset:

MarthX
2007-09-21, 08:24
Another big event needs to occur to get everybody's mind off this murder.

NH1976
2007-09-21, 09:47
And why not interrupting the print runs of the bible when we are at it ? After all, one could argue that it promotes incest (just google "loth"). If that young girl had really bad "relationship" which i hope i'll never know since it's not my business...

I don't fear a cancellation of the anime nor any "improvements" in the narration but why the hell should we wait for that sordid story to cool down ! An did anyone ask these TV networks to delay the airing ? Is it their own initiative ? By the way, interesting to see such an event made a so big commotion in Japan. Here, (in Belgium) it would have caused precious little interest unless the girl had been caught with her whole family dissimulated in little chunks in the fridge. :heh:

Kazuki_Kun
2007-09-21, 10:07
This must be Takano's doing. Isn;t it obvious she didn't want to show the people what she was up to? She just changed the lineup to Cooking. I'm onto you, Takano.

Just kidding. But seriously, this sucks, but i'm sure even if the worst came to worse and it was cancelled for good they'd still find other ways to bring it out, like the DVD's. So don't lose hope!~

Miko Miko
2007-09-21, 11:41
-_- Damn...

I have been waiting all week for this too :(

Mystearika
2007-09-21, 11:44
the same here :(

i really hope it come later

Cruel
2007-09-21, 11:47
I'm going through Higurashi withdrawal...

Green˛
2007-09-21, 15:13
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-09-21/kbs-kyoto-station-also-preempts-higurashi-kai

That being, right under the top line of "KBS Kyoto Station Also Preempts Higurashi Kai", ("Murder of father in Kyoto Prefecture specifically cited as cause")

I don't know much about the Japanese television networks, but usually in result of a traumatic event, most US networks usually jump ship in order to protect any related sponsors, should the media thing blow up any further. Although there is a cloud of uncertainty as to how this overall will affect future animation content, a rough guess would be that everything will need a few weeks for everything to blow over to get going again.

Ahasuerus
2007-09-21, 15:15
Here's the second update from ANN; I'll just copy-and-paste the whole thing to save you the trouble of linking to it (but I'm sure you know how to get there :p):

EDIT: LOL -I just noticed that Green2 just posted this above. Damn my slow fingers!!! Anyway, I'll leave the article:

(This from ANN)
"The official Japanese websites of the Tōkai TV broadcast station and the Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai murder mystery anime series have announced that Tōkai TV will preempt the early Friday morning airing of this series "due to various circumstances." School Days, which is another late-night, game-based anime series with schoolgirl characters in occasionally violent scenes like Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai, was preempted after the alleged axe murder of a police sergeant by his 16-year-old daughter. Officials have not directly linked either series to the murder case.

The Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai psychological suspense series deals with a series of mysterious, violent murders that take place in a village after a dam construction project. The series is a sequel to a game and an earlier anime series called Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (When They Cry - Higurashi), in which school-aged characters have occasionally wielded axes.

Update: Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai airs on five other stations and runs on the Anime Theater-X (AT-X) satellite channel. These other outlets have yet to announce their future plans for this series, but they normally premiere episodes one to six days after Tōkai TV does.

Update 2: The Kyoto KBS Television station has announced that it will preempt its Saturday 2:30 a.m. showing of this series, specifically citing "the murder of the father in the Kyoto Prefecture city of Kyōtanabe." Kyoto KBS serves the city of Kyōtanabe. While the announcement notes that it is unknown whether there is a connection between the murder and this program, it also notes that there are scenes of a girl holding an axe (apparently referring to the original Higurashi no Naku Koro ni series). The decision was made in light of the "possible discomfort to the audience." The station is considering its plans for future showings.

Thank you to dormcat for the news tip."
(end of article)

There is also a link to forum discussions about the issue there, so you can share our angst :D

kitedragon
2007-09-21, 17:13
This reminds me of the time a major newspaper posted an obviously photoshopped image of a 4chan post stating that anonymous was responsible for the VTech shooting in Virginia. "Fortunately" for 4chan, the newspaper also stated that the message was posted on the homepage for VTech rather than an image board. This would probably confuse the FBI as to which website it was. But even to this day, some anonymous wonder if a message really was posted on 4chan as a post may be deleted within minutes. Personally, I think that it's just an example of the media trying to blame other forms of media.

Well, at least the girl's defense lawyer has something to use. "Anime made her turn this way! She should not be found guilty! Anime is obviously the real culprit of this murder!"

And for all of you who don't support the anime industry, buy the DVD's if you want a guaranteed viewing of episode 12-13!

BakaOnna
2007-09-21, 17:13
Tokai TV has state to have already cancelled Higurashi. :bash: T_T
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/20070921p2a00m0na021000c.html

I seriously split between crying and murderous rage.

theacefrehley
2007-09-21, 17:18
Tokai TV has state to have already cancelled Higurashi. :bash: T_T
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/20070921p2a00m0na021000c.html

I seriously split between crying and murderous rage.

how it makes me happy :mad::mad::mad:

is this site reliable?

GyroidFanatic
2007-09-21, 17:18
Well they still have an episode scheduled for next Thursday night at 4:07AM according to their website.

http://www.tokai-tv.com/bangumi/

is this site reliable?

It's Microsoft, so that's something you'll have to decide for yourself.

Chibi_Faerie
2007-09-21, 17:21
BakaOnna beat me to the punch, I was going to mention it, but some how ended up talking to parents about it. My father didn't freak out about finding out what sort of horror I was watching O.o The man who freaked out at a character that smoked on FMA didn't freak out when I mentioned and explained the episode in question of Higurashi. He actually agrees that with all the violent horror/mystery/psychological/suspense/crime investigation shows out there that it's silly to blame them. Unless everyone in the world decides to follow the shows literally O.o If so then we'd all probably be ten feet under by now... Or raving psychotics. So while I understand putting off airing the episode for a little bit... entirely canceling the show = bad...

After discussing this with my friend in good 'ol Ireland, she said in comparison to what happened, that blaming anime because she wanted to be a mangaka and there is a similar episode on a series is the equivalent of:

*~*Zombie Kitty*~* Avatar airs tonight and I'm in the wrong bloody country!!! says:
"This person killed this person with their nails and teeth. They liked fluffy kittens"
"*gasp* Then they were mimicking kittens!! Kitten are evil!!"

Daniel E.
2007-09-21, 17:44
I get the feeling that Higurashi's ratings are going to go pretty hight after all this ends. If the show doesn't end up being cancelled, a lot of folks would probably feel curious and may start watching the show just to see what the fuzz was all about.

I mean, I didn't give a damn about School Days before this whole thing started, and now I cant wait to start seeing the show. >_< !!

MarthX
2007-09-21, 17:52
What bugs me the most is the actual episode they keep delaying doesn't contain anything similar to the crime. Every time they point out the similarities, it's Tsumihoroboshi-hen (episode 23 of the first season). Did they even bother to watch the episode before deciding? Apparently not since they keep believing the content will upset viewers.

Green˛
2007-09-21, 18:02
I take it things escalated within the media. Oh, and worst of all, that YouTube clip (http://www.youtube.com/browse?&session=AXYTelyhpivehmIf5SM6_oy-MHPpbKQnsIDJlKmNaZKFD7sVpAtFXWFc7ZHuW0iXUSYt8A9h87 J3lhw8_pnvjvc_EUJDBK8e4YJtmIggDmMutZsj4_dp3DtXQ9kY OtH132UFobFFCTTQZpMdRHVxIwxDX0ZEufZXSD8wNwekmmlDZW SwaEIR6Cc_lbEjEJ2-vs9BiRUt6VG2J4-VJAn-DnOGNdigi3CFAxUHvBO9ZQ9jzBr45uZoVIBHY2JR3NNa-rAZCKy9eOl4-_Pz77V9Id8X8SPApZHhHDck9wJWCAVCRusNM47G0EzlXlGznKs U) of what appears to have discussed the Higurashi & murder connection just went MIA. For related on the video, see http://atogofundake.wordpress.com/2007/09/21/nice-food/.

At this pace, before you know it, the next MSM media headlines will read as:

"Japanese news media outlets attempt to sabotage overall animation industry in effort to shape new broadcasting standard."

Hell, it's not even about the murder anymore...

kingsky123
2007-09-21, 18:11
Aww Come On And I Had Suceeded In Not Coming To This Website For A Week So I Dont Have To Come Here Every Five Minutes To See Whether Are The Subs Out . Now Its Not Airing ? Wtf?

so what happens to the show now ? they totally skip one episode and go on to 13? 0_o?? i mean if the other tv stations dont air it also

poor ryukishi... he made this wonderful story. didnt one of his commentaries like tell those readers to seek help if your not happy or something and not commit murder ?

The Creator
2007-09-21, 18:31
What a huge load of fuck.

I hate when a crazy teen becomes a cereal killer and the media stars to blame anime, manga, comics, music, video games, movies, tv and all kinds of worthless shits to explain why the teen became a murderer.

IT'S ALL THE PARENTS FAULT, HOW THE HELL A 16 YEAR OLD GIRL GOT AN AXE?!?!

Damn, after seeing chapter 11 i was like SO waiting for saturday, and they come with this shit.

>_<

Sorry if someones get offended by my post, i'm pretty agenred by this.

Matrim
2007-09-21, 18:39
They are cancelling the airing of the episode because of "possible discomfort for the audience"? Are they living in an alternate reality or they are just a bunch of retarded cowards? What a lame excuse! Why not ban every movie with a hint of voilence, too? As a viewer I am actually insulted by such statements, they make it sound as if I can't distinguish between reality and fiction. Hello - whoever is disturbed by violent anime shouldn't watch it in the first place, it's as simple as that. Each and every show might possibly cause discomfort to someone, do we stop all the shows then? No, we actually move our heads away from our collective ass, smell the coffee and realise no one is forced to watch Higurashi or anything that might cause him even the slightest discomfort. This situation would have been hilariously stupid, if it was not also tragically nonsensical.

MarthX
2007-09-21, 18:42
Makes me wish I was fluent in Japanese so I could write a compliant e-mail.

TougeSil80
2007-09-21, 18:44
The media do things like this all the time, like after Katrina no one wants to air anything that has to do with hurricane. Oh well, does anyone know when the R2 DVDs will come out? Thanks.

GyroidFanatic
2007-09-21, 18:46
The media do things like this all the time, like after Katrina no one wants to air anything that has to do with hurricane.

Didn't stop 4Kids from airing the two Perfect Chaos episodes of Sonic X right before and after. (For those who haven't seen it, a giant water god floods the city.)

Echoes
2007-09-21, 19:20
I don't understand the world. Or rather, I don't want to believe what I see to be true.

Everything has pretty much already been said. The whole thing doesn't make sense, let's just ban television and movies altogether while we're at it. Heck, that Dr Phil fills me with murderous rage every time I see his face, surely he should be removed from public television before I commit some heinous atrocity.

Games and entertainment are always to blame, apparently.

BakaOnna
2007-09-21, 19:25
I don't understand the world. Or rather, I don't want to believe what I see to be true.

Everything has pretty much already been said. The whole thing doesn't make sense, let's just ban television and movies altogether while we're at it. Heck, that Dr Phil fills me with murderous rage every time I see his face, surely he should be removed from public television before I commit some heinous atrocity.

Games and entertainment are always to blame, apparently.

It's because humans don't know how to accept anything. We only know how to scapegoat and blame other things, especially if they're not within our own kind.

Mappy
2007-09-21, 19:36
What bugs me the most is the actual episode they keep delaying doesn't contain anything similar to the crime. Every time they point out the similarities, it's Tsumihoroboshi-hen (episode 23 of the first season). Did they even bother to watch the episode before deciding? Apparently not since they keep believing the content will upset viewers.

I think I mentioned this before: we're so far beyond anything that could even relate to these events that the decision to do this is not helping their reputation at all. Well, not amongst those they'd patronisingly regard as the spooky fringe dwellers amongst their viewership, and therefore inherently ignorable (in their minds).

The sense of complete helplessness in the face of this, being so far removed from the country and even the ears of those responsible (if I even knew enough of the language to lodge a complaint) makes the wait to see what comes of this so much more painful. :upset:

chronotrig
2007-09-21, 20:07
I think it's great that so many people want to write complaints about the cancellation of a show they're watching illegally...

Sterling01
2007-09-21, 20:11
Some of them actually do live in japan and also the dub got canceled

FlareKnight
2007-09-21, 20:17
Yeah the more I hear those lame excuses the higher the annoyance grows. Maybe they should ban stupid news broadcasts since that has to have driven someone to commit some violent act. They act like it's for the safety of the public when it's more them trying to get people to read their reports and make a spectacle. The studios are covering their rears so they don't get blamed for this stuff. It's even more annoying by how far they are missing things. Make it sound like the entire series is about Rena killing her father.

Let's ban sports some of those are violent, heck let's just ban everything except channels where you watch grass grow. The media is far more violent anyways then shows yet they seem to get by without complaint. Games, movies, all should be blamed. They have to accept people do violent things and pointing the finger at things like anime aren't going to solve the problems.

Gah it's so bloody annoying. We've reached a point in the series where things will start turning on Rika and now this crap. It's like Rika's gotten another level of punishment on her head. Sadly they don't care what I feel on this since I'm across the ocean.

raikage
2007-09-21, 20:20
I wonder how many users here, were they placed in charge of a network, would choose to broadcast the ep.

Keep two things in mind:

- If you air the episode, and there are complaints, you will be fired.

- If you do not air the episode, you might see a few complaints in the mail, but there is no possibility you will be fired.

With that in mind, how many of us would choose to air the ep?

Sterling01
2007-09-21, 20:23
From the Higurashi web site

Auto-translated

9/24 information broadcasting of change in broadcasting time
San television The broadcasting time broadcast on September 24 changes. It must be noted only to see on the San television by being.

9/24 (Monday) 26:10 - 26:25 -

Matrim
2007-09-21, 20:31
If you air the episode, and there are complaints, you will be fired.

Depends on how many complaints there are, though. And as we all know being notorious is often preferred to being obscure in the world of media. :D

But I, and seemingly most posters here too, do not blame the TV stations that much (if at all), the problem is in the hypocritical, retarded, misinforming media outrage which puts the TV stations in a very bad position.

BakaOnna
2007-09-21, 20:35

Auto-translated9/24 information broadcasting of change in broadcasting time
San television The broadcasting time broadcast on September 24 changes. It must be noted only to see on the San television by being.

9/24 (Monday) 26:10 - 26:25 -
In proper English, I'm guessing that means Sun is also preempting ep. 12?

sezen_atacan
2007-09-21, 20:37
Hmm will it air on weekends? This way at least it can be kept on schedule and finishing Minagoroshi-hen next week.

This suspense is tempting me to grab the Manga or Game. But is Minagoroshi-hen even translated for the Manga and Game?

Also, I heard that the Pokemon Seizure episode remained on air at the end but how long was that pulled off air for? I don't mean to watch it but knowing this can help me approximate future expectations.

Sterling01
2007-09-21, 20:39
There is no Minagoroshi-hen manga... yet

Blick Winkel
2007-09-21, 20:41

No, time slot was changed a little.
Unfortunately, this was done before hell broke out, so no, it doesn't mean anything.

GyroidFanatic
2007-09-21, 20:44

Auto-translated
Actually that's talking about how the episode will start 15 minutes late, and was probably posted before news of the murder even broke. Look throughout that page and you'll see it's not that uncommon.

EDIT: Beat :(

MarthX
2007-09-21, 20:48

Sounds like it was only pushed back 15 minutes.

Sterling01
2007-09-21, 20:55
it was posted on the 21st

Klashikari
2007-09-21, 21:02
This suspense is tempting me to grab the Manga or Game. But is Minagoroshi-hen even translated for the Manga and Game?
There isn't any minagoroshi-hen manga at all.
Minagoroshi-hen(for the game) has its first 7 chapters translated (with the prologue included).

sezen_atacan
2007-09-21, 21:29
Also the thing is, how do you explain the part in the recent past where one elementary student killed her own classmate, then I heard that doll making companies have already made dolls and other products about this killer. Nobody got into any trouble. So why now? Hypocritical? Ironic?

Chibi_Faerie
2007-09-21, 21:55
I was just looking around some news sites, wondering has anything else been officially said about what happened...?Any further idea as to why she did what she did...? Or is the media to the point they don't care and just want to bash anime...? I'm quite disappointed, I cant believe I once wanted to be a journalist... Oh yeah while looking I stumbled across something, this isn't the only ax murder, in fact maybe the press should look at this other particular incident. A girl axed her mother last year in New Zealand, maybe this girl in Kyoto heard about it while trying to decide what to do about her adulterer father...? If thats what it was, as we haven't been given any more real news still. Maybe the media should steer their attention away from anime and look at their own articles, on tv, on the net, oh wait that'd mean if they put an end to these things they'd be out of a job, silly me...

Oh and if I sounded angry at all I'm not, I was miffed at how it was being handled at first, though understood putting off the airing for a bit, now I'm just sitting here rather wondering how it's going to end. In the long run I'll just buy the game and get those patches to find out what happens ff I can't wait for the release of dvds.

Aisling
2007-09-21, 22:06
Rumor has it that Tokai TV has canned HiguKai completely. Let's hope it's not so...we'd have to wait for DVD release.

We didn't even get a NICE BOAT like School Days. :(

Sterling01
2007-09-21, 22:10
But we did get NICE COOK

sezen_atacan
2007-09-21, 22:26
It would make a lot more sense if these shows are placed in the "Hentai" category and showed at 2:30am in the morning or something. Cutting the show is way to overkill. The "Hentai" category is meant to place all responsibilities on the viewer being 18+ isn't it?

Something similar was done with Negima too I heard it was given a high rating and showed very late at night because of heavy ecchi.

I know rating regular shows as "hentai" may be too much, but cutting it all together is non-sensical, its not fair to the 18+ audience who can make their own judgements.

Um.. I didn't get the punchline with "NICE COOK", "NICE FOOD" and "NICE BOAT" can you tell me the joke?

Mappy
2007-09-21, 22:26
I think it's great that so many people want to write complaints about the cancellation of a show they're watching illegally...

I think it's great that a show that many people are watching illegally has its legal avenue of viewing pretty much unofficially cactus (until further notice). Fun times to be had by all.

Matrim
2007-09-21, 22:41
It would make a lot more sense if these shows are placed in the "Hentai" category and showed at 2:30am in the morning or something.Most anime that is not aimed primarily at kids is shown after midnight actually, including Higurashi. That said, if kids want to watch violence that much, instead of staying late they could simply watch prime time news bulletins or mainstream action movies anyway.

Green˛
2007-09-21, 23:10
Um.. I didn't get the punchline with "NICE COOK", "NICE FOOD" and "NICE BOAT" can you tell me the joke?
See:
http://www.globalvoicesonline.org/2007/09/21/japan-axe-murder-school-days-and-a-nice-boat/

kj1980
2007-09-21, 23:21
It would make a lot more sense if these shows are placed in the "Hentai" category and showed at 2:30am in the morning or something.

This may come to a surprise to you, but most anime shows are shown after midnight.

Animaker9
2007-09-21, 23:23
Hi everyone, I came here today because of this incident... it really sucks that a good anime like Higurashi would end up like this, you know, if that girl really liked Higurashi, then why didn't she caught the messaege in it "when something bad happens you must talk about it" I learned many things by viewing Higurashi.

Many years ago, here in Mexico, a TV network "TV Azteca" aired a show, that talked about "The evil of Anime" they really messed up everything, in our elementary school the teachers took away our pokemon games, trading cards... everything, even the other TV networks stopped airing anime for some time, I almost went crazy!!! I think that some people love to attack something that is succesfull to destroy it, well, maybe the incident was a little similar but come on! I've watched violent anime for years and I don feel like I want to kill anybody, I think that it has more to do with family values and that kind of stuff. well we'll just have to wait...

Let us pray for Higurashi:(

VRMN
2007-09-21, 23:24
Yeah, sezen_atacan, Higurashi Kai's normal broadcast time on KBS Kyoto is 2:30 in the morning.

Mr Fist
2007-09-22, 02:21
Oh my god, I came in here hoping to see the discussions of Ep 12 and now they're not showing it.

I'm feeling tense now. Will they ever show the episodes ever? Or is there still the chance of another TV station playing it?

Cruel
2007-09-22, 02:28
More importantly will they ever show another Higurashi episode again? :/

I don't think things will be cooling down the way we want them to be. If and whenever that does happen...

Blick Winkel
2007-09-22, 05:12
it was posted on the 21st
21st is the day of the latest update of the onair broadcasting hours subsection (which was KBS announcement about preempting btw)

MarthX
2007-09-22, 05:52
kj1980, what do you think the chances are of Sun, Chibia or Saitama television airing it in 2 days? Is the incident still a big deal and on everybody's mind? Has it cooled down any?

Joachim
2007-09-22, 08:25
yeah kj, how is it there? i mean the situation in japan? did animes really take a hard slap.. or just a little slap because of this "incident" ?

CJL13
2007-09-22, 08:42
Hi everyone, I came here today because of this incident... it really sucks that a good anime like Higurashi would end up like this, you know, if that girl really liked Higurashi, then why didn't she caught the messaege in it "when something bad happens you must talk about it" I learned many things by viewing Higurashi.

Many years ago, here in Mexico, a TV network "TV Azteca" aired a show, that talked about "The evil of Anime" they really messed up everything, in our elementary school the teachers took away our pokemon games, trading cards... everything, even the other TV networks stopped airing anime for some time, I almost went crazy!!!
I'd like to see this program.

Animaker9
2007-09-22, 10:39
I don't think you'll like to see it CJL13, It was pretty crappy, it talked about how shorts were the skirts of the sailor moon characters, that Ranma was gay, they even said that Pikachu's meaning in japanese was "higher than god", I was in elemtary school but even I could see it was just a strategy to cut anime from the mexican TV, and it didn't work by the way. whaterver...

So, what's the situation in the frontlines? is there still a posiblity that they will air the episode later on?

CJL13
2007-09-22, 14:22
I don't think you'll like to see it CJL13, It was pretty crappy, it talked about how shorts were the skirts of the sailor moon characters, that Ranma was gay, they even said that Pikachu's meaning in japanese was "higher than god", I was in elemtary school but even I could see it was just a strategy to cut anime from the mexican TV, and it didn't work by the way. whaterver...

Precisely why I wanna see it. I need to know how stupid this program was, and so far I've gotten a good description.

FlareKnight
2007-09-22, 14:48
I really hope things don't get to the point where the series is canceled. That would seriously suck and waiting for a DVD release (that would still happen right?) would be rough. Doubt my ability to not run to the game area and find out what happens. Just a big headache overall.

MarthX
2007-09-22, 14:58
How I try to stay hopeful:

Tokai TV didn't show 12 because it was so soon after the incident.

KBS Kyoto didn't show it because it happened in Kyoto.

When School Days 12 was pulled the other stations were quick in dropping it. This is not the case with Higurashi. The remaining 5 still have it on their schedule and haven't said a word about it.

AT-X is the only station that still has School Days 12 on their schedule. They can restrict certain programming audiences to over 15 years old. AT-X is a private satellite channel so it has a better chance of airing anything controversial.

Worst case scenario and all stations stop airing it. Something I rather not think about it but it is always a frightening possibility. Anime aired after midnight is mainly a way to promote upcoming DVDs. If all stations cease airing Kai then that will only give people more incentive to buy the DVDs. High DVD sales = DEEN won't stop producing it. Right now Higurashi is getting a lot of publicity so sales are sure to be higher.

Another possibility is the last half of the season will be pushed back to another season, to ensure everybody is over this whole ordeal. They're not blaming Higurashi for the murder, they're only pointing out similarities. Kyoto said they chose not to air 12 because it has a girl swinging an axe. Obviously the murder is still fresh on everybody's mind; They don't want to offend anyone that was affected by it. Same deal as 9/11, just on a much smaller scale. Since Higurashi is not being directly blamed, I don't think we have to fear any station outright removing it and never allowing it to return.

My gut tells me AT-X will air it. Let's say they do and Tokai decides to air 13, skipping 12 to avoid screwing up the block schedule and possibly skipping a scene they didn't like. We would see 12 then 13 the next day. Not having to suffer a week wait to see 13 (which is gonna be amazing) would make up for all this hell we've been through.

kj1980
2007-09-22, 14:58
kj1980, what do you think the chances are of Sun, Chibia or Saitama television airing it in 2 days? Is the incident still a big deal and on everybody's mind? Has it cooled down any?

No gives a shit, but TV stations don't want a potential lawsuit from bitching PTAs and "oh please won't someone think of the children" type of crap so they'll leave it off the air. Luckily, the attention span of the populace are quite short, so it'll probably be like a one week delay or some sort - I'm sure this news will just willow and fade away into memory when REAL news like the vote for the new prime minister comes up.

GyroidFanatic
2007-09-22, 15:00
That would seriously suck and waiting for a DVD release (that would still happen right?) would be rough.
Of course. The episodes being canceled is a decision by the networks and the networks alone.

(Maybe if it turned in to straight-to-DVD, we'll get a OVA-sized budget...)

I'm sure this news will just willow and fade away into memory when REAL news like the vote for the new prime minister comes up.

I'm not so sure... If Japan is anything like the US, then pop-culture is always more important than politics.

Mappy
2007-09-22, 15:09
I'm not so sure... If Japan is anything like the US, then pop-culture is always more important than politics.

I'm quite sure discovering who their next Prime Minister will be will dominate their media and thoughts over this story quite successfully, if Japan is anything like Australia. :cool:

LuckyCat
2007-09-22, 15:54
Hmm according to Tokai's current schedule (http://tokai-tv.com/TimeTable/week.html) it looks like Higurashi is scheduled to air next Friday at a later time slot.

harukamae
2007-09-22, 16:44
They can restrict certain programming audiences to over 15 years old. AT-X is a private satellite channel so it has a better chance of airing anything controversial.

How does that work? Do a lot of TVs in Japan have something similar to a V-chip in them so AT-X can physically block it out, or you just mean they air a warning beforehand?

GyroidFanatic
2007-09-22, 17:27
Hmm according to Tokai's current schedule (http://tokai-tv.com/TimeTable/week.html) it looks like Higurashi is scheduled to air next Friday at a later time slot.
That's it's normal time slot, just delayed a half-hour due to some golf thing.

How does that work? Do a lot of TVs in Japan have something similar to a V-chip in them so AT-X can physically block it out, or you just mean they air a warning beforehand?

No, it's because you have to pay for it. It's similar to why cable can get away with more than broadcast TV, and HBO can get away with even more stuff in the US.

chronotrig
2007-09-22, 17:40

Does the word 続編 (zokuhen) have any significance?

GyroidFanatic
2007-09-22, 17:57
It's just talking about how it's the sequel to the first season

sezen_atacan
2007-09-22, 19:21
But wouldn't the blame better be put on the lack of efficient social services and affordable health care? Also I heard that school is tough, Japanese students studying abroad find that many western schools are too easy many subjects are already covered. Also the work hours make it hard for families to get together.

Won't this kinda make people vulnerable to pranks though? I don't know how to explain it but I worry that Monty Python might become reality.

Jaden
2007-09-22, 19:41
What can I say...an axe is a pretty good choice of weapon over a kitchen knife or boxcutter, I think. Nothing to do with Higurashi...if she had a gun or a katana, that would probably have been used instead.

*cough*

yeah, it'd be strange if it was delayed for more than a week or two...

MarthX
2007-09-22, 20:17
The problem with the delay is that there's a strong chance they will skip episodes preempted. KBS Kyoto's next week episode is 13. Even if everything returns to normal next week, it's going to suck if we can't see 12. But I'm confident that at least AT-X will show it. (I probably sound like a broken record) but I will keep saying it.

KEEP THE FAITH!

sezen_atacan
2007-09-22, 21:20
They will show episode 13 instead? That won't make sense though. The could do a back-to-back. Before we get to that point, does anyone have a summary of episode 12 or something? Its not that I am being whiny, but the complex nature of the plot makes it harder exponentially with each information you take out. Basically a supposedly solution arc isn't a solution if it has no solution and half a solution is not really a solution because the other half is still a mystery and not a solution.

WanderingKnight
2007-09-22, 21:27
The problem with the delay is that there's a strong chance they will skip episodes preempted. KBS Kyoto's next week episode is 13. Even if everything returns to normal next week, it's going to suck if we can't see 12.

In fact, it can turn out to be quite the boon for DEEN's DVD sales. Imagine the advertisement:

"Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai DVD Box set! Includes unreleased TV episode!"

Animaker9
2007-09-22, 23:07
sorry, I kind of lost track... so does that mean that we are out of the woods yet? does it mean that Higurashi will not be dropped?

Daniel E.
2007-09-23, 00:42
Hmmmm, wonder if anyone in the media has made a comparison with this incident and Chiri Kitsu of the Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei anime?

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/4418/grab17306br0.th.jpg (http://img340.imageshack.us/my.php?image=grab17306br0.jpg) http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6076/grab32530wd4.th.jpg (http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=grab32530wd4.jpg)

Oh and I am not trying to go off topic or anything. I am just wondering how big this whole thing could have gotten at one point or another. >_< !

Vash002
2007-09-23, 03:35
Geez, well, i just hope this just affected one episode and not the whole series :heh:

Btw:

Many years ago, here in Mexico, a TV network "TV Azteca" aired a show, that talked about "The evil of Anime" they really messed up everything, in our elementary school the teachers took away our pokemon games, trading cards... everything, even the other TV networks stopped airing anime for some time, I almost went crazy!!!
Hahaha, that was a hell funny show, short skirts, god references, etc.
I just lost a bunch of pokemon stuff on my catholic school in those days :eyespin:

Kamel
2007-09-23, 07:16
God please don't let it end like with the X-manga

MarthX
2007-09-23, 07:28
A little over a day for the next broadcast and still no word. If they're going to replace it then they should've announced it already. Unless they're cruel bastards that get off on crushing everybody's hope at the last minute.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Mr Fist
2007-09-23, 07:56
A little over a day for the next broadcast and still no word. If they're going to replace it then they should've announced it already. Unless they're cruel bastards that get off on crushing everybody's hope at the last minute.

The anticipation will most likely crush me before we get the official answer.

My god I'm tense...

uemtux
2007-09-23, 09:44
On no, we failed to stop the murder and now we've got to live through HiguKai episodes 1-11 over and over again until we all come together and smash through fate... so that we can finally watch everybody die again.

Miko Miko
2007-09-23, 09:44

Probably :mad:

Anyway i am also keeping my fingers crossed!

Toxic
2007-09-23, 09:46
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z58/Nekoyuusha/higu26_01copy.jpg

bayoab
2007-09-23, 13:02

It is more likely we will see the announcement, if any, tomorrow afternoon. Broadcasters usually wait to the last minute to make changes because they do not like to preempt series either.

Animaker9
2007-09-23, 14:32
So this isn't over yet... well, the only thing we can do is wait... i feel so useless...
waiting is the most hard thing to do but, we can only cross our fingers an maybe pray a little or something like that, but we musn't lose hope!:heh:

MarthX
2007-09-23, 14:42
This time we have three stations instead of one. Let's pray at least one them pulls through. All we need is one for a RAW to pop up. It's been almost a week since the incident, they should be getting over it by now.

Mappy
2007-09-23, 14:55
I'm expecting the worst. That way I won't be all that disappointed if they can the episode, and pleasantly surprised if they don't.

shigure asa
2007-09-23, 15:17
This time we have three stations instead of one. Let's pray at least one them pulls through. All we need is one for a RAW to pop up. It's been almost a week since the incident, they should be getting over it by now.

it's like kj1980 said a little earlier in this thread~~ at this point no one really cares -- they are more than over it.

still, there is always going to be those people who don't like animation and that kind of thing... who then go on and on about how such programming is ruining our children for marriage or something... so television channels don't want that type of complaint~~ and the result is: nice food!!

though don't you think it's really troublesome for ryuukishi07?? if that girl from that incident is reading this~~ please axe murder the masugomi for me ok~~ ← don't take it so seriously -3-

GyroidFanatic
2007-09-23, 15:39
though don't you think it's really troublesome for ryuukishi07??

There's no such thing as bad publicity

Conan-san
2007-09-23, 15:50
I dunno, having your show replaced due to some stupid cow would strike me as some sort of horrid celestiral insult.

Rena Ryuuguu
2007-09-23, 16:34
i dunno is it ok to post this video in this thread? kana kana?
if not gomen nasai
OTie5DfE4FI
btw- hai NICE BOAT AND NICE COOK XD
this Story with this Ax Murderer sucks so much....
and if this girl have try to copied rena she did it wrong!
coz rena killed a man she don’t really knows and hated them. and she protect her father with this, but this girl killed her own father , thats so horrible and after she sayd she hate her father isn’t it a Excuse for this!!but holy sh... they can't show us an COOK SHOW!! i mean thats sooooooooo violence we can see so many knifes in it XDDDDDDDDDD

Toxic
2007-09-23, 17:08
i dunno is it ok to post this video in this thread? kana kana?
if not gomen nasai
OTie5DfE4FI
btw- hai NICE BOAT AND NICE COOK XD
this Story with this Ax Murderer sucks so much....
and if this girl have try to copied rena she did it wrong!
coz rena killed a man she don’t really knows and hated them. and she protect her father with this, but this girl killed her own father , thats so horrible and after she sayd she hate her father isn’t it a Excuse for this!!but holy sh... they can't show us an COOK SHOW!! i mean thats sooooooooo violence we can so many knifes in it XDDDDDDDDDD
Yeah, I mean, they might get some crazy-ass ideas about going out hunting animals and then cutting them into pieces with knives, cooking them and then EATING them :uhoh:

CANNIBALS! :frustrated:

rainbow_rena
2007-09-23, 17:09
LMFAO Rena^^
At the comment of the cook show and the knives.
omfg.
they just cutted a poor lamb :<

shigure asa
2007-09-23, 17:20

higurashi has an anime, manga, ps2 game, drama cd, and it's a famous doujin sound novel!!
that's why it isn't like ryuu-chan needs it, and a publicity isn't worth it when it's from something like this!!

but holy sh... they can't show us an COOK SHOW!! i mean thats sooooooooo violence we can so many knifes in it XDDDDDDDDDD

ryuuguu rena destroys her enemies with a cleaver and cuts them to pieces ... ...
did rena get her idea from watching a nice cook kana? kana?

Rena Ryuuguu
2007-09-23, 18:29
Yeah, I mean, they might get some crazy-ass ideas about going out hunting animals and then cutting them into pieces with knives, cooking them and then EATING them :uhoh:

CANNIBALS! :frustrated:
of course xDDDDDD to much horror on cook shows !! XD

ryuuguu rena destroys her enemies with a cleaver and cuts them to pieces ... ...
did rena get her idea from watching a nice cook kana? kana?

ahaha maybe *laughs myself death* :heh::heh:

aohige
2007-09-23, 22:28
Has this information been posted yet?

Just in, yet ANOTHER youth-slashing-father-with-axe incident happened in Japan today.
A 15 year old boy assaulted his father with an axe to murder him, but was unsucessful in his crime. He was arrested, and the father was taken to hospital.

This just happened in Nagasaki.
http://www.asahi.com/national/update/0924/TKY200709240002.html

I seriously hope this doesn't affect Higurashi or any other shows, but the timing of this news is worst imaginable. :uhoh:

serenade_beta
2007-09-23, 22:32

Just in, yet ANOTHER youth-slashing-father-with-axe incident happened in Japan today.
A 15 year old boy assauted his father with an axe to murder him, but was unsucessful in his crime. He was arrested, and the father was taken to hospital.

I seriously hope this doesn't affect Higurashi or any other shows, but the timing of this news is worst imaginable. :uh-oh:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh?!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

chrno_the_sinner
2007-09-23, 22:46

Except not in Japan. The author of the novel Kamikaze Girls was arrested for possesion of .2 g of pot and his career's pretty much finished.

Nyao
2007-09-23, 23:09

A 15 year old boy assauted his father with an axe to murder him, but was unsucessful in his crime. He was arrested, and the father was taken to hospital.

I seriously hope this doesn't affect Higurashi or any other shows, but the timing of this news is worst imaginable. :uhoh:

I hope this doesn't delay anymore anime...

Dark Wing
2007-09-23, 23:14

It's over people...I said it before and I'll say it again look forward to even more slice of life series if we even get that...:(

Green˛
2007-09-23, 23:28
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/20070924p2a00m0na009000c.html

Dark Wing
2007-09-23, 23:42
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/20070924p2a00m0na009000c.html

Well I'm expecting that ban on anime to be announced any day now...:sad:

Nyao
2007-09-23, 23:44
Like you said Dark Wing, after this I'll be expecting more cheesy anime.

Rias
2007-09-23, 23:45
Worse comes to worse, they'll probably just put the last 2 epsiodes of Minagoroshi-hen straight to DVD and move on to Matsuribayashi-hen...

Dark Wing
2007-09-23, 23:49
Worse comes to worse, they'll probably just put the last 2 epsiodes of Minagoroshi-hen straight to DVD and move on to Matsuribayashi-hen...

If they don't kill the whole all together which as time goes on seems to becoming more and more possible...:uhoh:

Nyao
2007-09-23, 23:52
I doubt they will "kill" all anime...

Dark Wing
2007-09-23, 23:59
I doubt they will "kill" all anime...

Yea just the stuff that actually makes it good...I'm losing faith here people. Somebody give me a little proof things are going to be alright because right now it looks like all those anime haters inside and outside Japan have gained even more ground for their plans...:upset:

Daniel E.
2007-09-24, 00:07
A 15 year old boy assaulted his father with an axe to murder him, but was unsucessful in his crime. He was arrested, and the father was taken to hospital.

Maybe he heard the news of the first incident and then tried to copy it somehow.

I remember reading somewhere that copycats like this sometimes appear after the media gives a lot of coverage to certain cases.

sezen_atacan
2007-09-24, 00:09
So the only acceptable anime is a character sitting in a flowery scenary drinking tea? Not allowed to show angst, sadness, anger etc..

Of course two characters aren't allowed either because people sometimes tend to disagree, argue and fight since no two people think 100% alike.

So when we are asked: "What did you learn from the show today?"
We will respond:"According to the source humans are perfect and never fight"

Then how will we ever learn the struggles and hardships of life if its banned content altogether??

Rena Ryuuguu
2007-09-24, 00:42

WTF???????? is this now the new Quirk in Japan ??!!kana kana? Hell i can't believe this this scared me now a little...

Level E
2007-09-24, 00:50
http://07th-expansion.net/Cgi/clip/clip.cgi

Ryukishi 07 posts his response.
Quick overview,

He's happy with all the support email but more importantly that Higurashi's message was understood by his fan base. Higurashi is not about the killings. There is a message that's repeated several times throughout the series, sometimes blatantly (http://www.windfs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242). That message is: don't hold in all the pain to yourself and think that killing someone is your only answer to the situation. Talk to someone!

In season 1's ending, Keichi tells you this. In Minagoroshi Hen this is again reinforced. At the very least, Ryukishi is happy that the last episode aired proved that Keiichi's decision in Tatarigoroshi Hen was wrong, and there was a better way to approach the situation.

Ryuukishi thanks his fans for all their support since he wouldn't be able to bear this fate alone.

--

If you guys would like to send your support to Ryukishi 07, the email is fujix@mcn.ne (add .jp at the end of that address).

Ahasuerus
2007-09-24, 01:17
Thanks Level E (even though I couldn't read it); I plan on sending an email of support. I hope he isn't getting inundated by the leeches (i.e. bloodsucking media & handwringers) but you know how they are; they'll suck the life out of anything they deem a threat (which is pretty much anything with a shadow).

[That message is: don't hold in all the pain to yourself and think that killing someone is your only answer to the situation. Talk to someone!

This can't be emphasized enough, and should be, at least to the lamentable powers that be.

I'm at least glad that he is getting support from Higurashi's fans, that is very cool. I don't know if he is able to read English, but I hope that messages of support from the West can be read to him so that he knows we're all behind him.

cereal_killerxx
2007-09-24, 01:58
Wow, with all these events going on it's very tragic, and not just for the anime either. I hope this doesn't become a widespread thing.

Seeing as there is still a few stations left that might air higurashi 12, when will they possibly air it? I just want to know what day and time to check back on the forum to confirm the good or bad news...

Conan-san
2007-09-24, 02:07
Oh shi- Higurashi had a message?! Oh that's DEFENTLY not going to get into the thicko heads of the local rag producers.

Mr Fist
2007-09-24, 02:14

OH COME ON!!!! :frustrated:

I can't believe this is happening. Now my faith in the hopes of Higurashi returning has faded more...

OK, I'm off to have a stroke now. See ya.

MarthX
2007-09-24, 02:58

You've gotta be shitting me...

Mappy
2007-09-24, 03:04
Wow. Look what all of that irresponsible media reporting of the earlier killing has lead to. I fully expect all news and current affairs shows to be replaced by scenes of yacht cruises set to pretty music and documentaries on the kitchens of the QM2.

It's my reaction and I'm sticking to it. :rolleyes:

joshualimm
2007-09-24, 03:09
Dammit,... I was waiting for eps 12 this entire week, and now it's cancelled? Seriously, if only I could make a really insensitive joke, it would be:Why couldn't she have picked another time?

But then again, I guess I can see why the show is cancelled. Some girl killed her dad with an axe, and a 23-cm-something thingy was mentioned (in the youtube clip)... I don't think it's because of the episode itself, or any connections to the show. However, I'm pretty sure there're a bunch of people in the country who're shaken by the incident, and therefore, any shows that HINTS violence could easily make things spiral out of control (Be it copycats or complaints from parents who are pushed over their edges). Seriously, showing any show that is or used to be associated with violence at the moment would be very VERY tasteless.

In addition, I can see the media's desire to associate the incident with Higurashi. Sure, Higurashi isn't about a girl going about killing people (yeah, we're talking about girlS and a boy with a bat... oh wait, i think it's mostly about friendship and trust and busting mysteries), but it does contain a scene that is remarkably similiar, and they were merely pointing it out (though albeit strongly).

I just hope that higurashi won't get cancelled. Hopefully, those who were affected by the incident will be rational enough to NOT start pointing fingers just to find someone/something to put the blame on. And if they DO, I hope there won't be many directed to the series.

MarthX
2007-09-24, 03:09
They just need to put a ban on axes. No more selling them.

Mappy
2007-09-24, 03:19
Oh come on.... If they stop selling axes then the news will have nothing to report. Killings will stop immediately and people with murderous intent will stand around looking dazed and confused, unable to complete the task. Peace will reign over a somewhat impotent humanity.

Sorry, I'm not taking this very seriously. :cool:

It was almost as if this event was timed perfectly to plunge this thread into a pit of despairing darkness.... But that's just the paranoid sadfan in me. In all open likelihood, nothing may happen at all and Higurashi will continue.

Just don't quote me on that when everything falls apart, again.

MarthX
2007-09-24, 03:22
I was really hopeful but now I very much doubt we will see it today. AT-X is probably our only hope now and that chance has been reduced significantly. At least it done by a boy this time and it was unsuccessful.

If there's an axe-like scene in 12, can't they just it it and show the rest of it?

SSJiffy
2007-09-24, 03:36
Two things to add:

1. No Higurashi and no School Days make jiffy something something.

2. Urge to kill...rising.

:]

Sushi-Y
2007-09-24, 03:54
I was really hopeful but now I very much doubt we will see it today. AT-X is probably our only hope now and that chance has been reduced significantly. At least it done by a boy this time and it was unsuccessful.
I doubt it'll matter much, I have a feeling the second incident will be the nail in the coffin. I wouldn't be surprised if Higurashi becomes indefinitely delayed because of this fiasco.

Toxic
2007-09-24, 03:56
2. Urge to kill...rising.
I think this is going to cause more deaths than Higurashi and School Days ever could...

MarthX
2007-09-24, 04:08
I doubt it'll matter much, I have a feeling the second incident will be the nail in the coffin. I wouldn't be surprised if Higurashi becomes indefinitely delayed because of this fiasco.

Do you think they'll continue with the DVDs? I'd hate to see Higurashi shortened in any way because of this. I don't want to see Matsuribayashi squeezed into an OVA or something.