PDA

View Full Version : Anime with lesbians in it?

Kittie Rose
2007-10-28, 10:42
Everytime I watch an anime and it seems like there's gonna be some cute lesbian(or indeed, gay) relationship it turns out not so :(

Are there any anime that have any cute gay/lesbian or even transgender relationships, but aren't revolving around gay/lesbian issues if you get what I mean? Because that cheeses me off too.

Man I was so disappointed with R.O.D. :( They totally mislead me with that one.

Kazuma77
2007-10-28, 10:48
This theme should go under Suggestions not under fansubbed

Kittie Rose
2007-10-28, 10:52
Uhh, I'm not suggesting there be More(well I am) I'm asking if there are already anime like this since they make me squeee

Terrestrial Dream
2007-10-28, 10:54
Strawberry Panic and Kannazuki no Miko, recently Blue Drop.

monir
2007-10-28, 10:56
Yes, we understand that you are asking for suggestion. Hence, the suggestion made by Kazuma77 that the thread belonged in the Suggestion section of the forum. Simple exercise of common sense really. :p

Anyway, tell us what you have watched so for in regards to yuri anime so we can suggest animes other than the one you have watched with that particular theme.

Kittie Rose
2007-10-28, 10:59
You really should name your forums more appropriately... that doesn't make logical sense since it requires a logical jump that no forums generally expect of you.

Strawberry Panic and Kannazuki no Miko, recently Blue Drop.

Hmm, thanks for the suggestions, but as my original post I was looking for anime that weren't explicitly Yuri/Yaoi, but still contained gay/lesbian relationships.

xris
2007-10-28, 11:10
You really should name your forums more appropriately... that doesn't make logical sense since it requires a logical jump that no forums generally expect of you.
Lets see now, we have these descriptions for the two forums in question.

Fansubbed
Forum for discussing fansubbed anime that's currently unlicensed.

Suggestions
If you want help finding more anime, manga or music, ask in here.

So you were asking for suggestions and recommendations and not talking about a specific anime series, yet you find these names as confusing. Fair enough, there's not much more we can do.

Didn't you notice the sort of threads in those forums? Didn't you notice that the Fansubbed forum only contained threads about specific series, didn't you notice that the Suggestions forum contained threads that asked for suggestions?

mdauben
2007-10-29, 09:37
Are there any anime that have any cute gay/lesbian or even transgender relationships, but aren't revolving around gay/lesbian issues if you get what I mean?
For gay, how about Cardcaptor Sakura? The series is aimed at younger viewers, so the relationship is kept rather un-explicit, but Sakura's brother is obviously emotionally involved with his male friend.

For lesbian, you could look at My HiME. There are "un-consumated" relationship between two pairs of female characters in the story at least one of which is defintly lesbian in tone. (My Otome takes that relationship and makes it more explicitly lesbian, but there is a lot of not terribly serious yuri-fanservice in that story, so I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for).

Another possiblilty might be Vandread. One of the main characters is in an obviously lesbian relationship with one of the female supporting characters (actually, the series features a "planet of women" so lesbian relationships are a given in the supporting characters, although the main story revolves around a male character and his relationship(s) with the females).

TnAdct1
2007-10-29, 12:21
Three words: Battle Athletes Victory.

2H-Dragon
2007-10-29, 12:26
Loveless - I haven't watched it myself, but I was tempted to watch since it has a shoujo-ai couple in it, but the major part is shounen-ai. So I refrained from watching it. It's drama/mystery.

Altema
2007-10-29, 12:54
My friend told me to watch Loveless because of cool fights. She neglected to say that it was Shonen AI. I was completely tricked.

Diodati
2007-10-29, 13:08
Loveless - I haven't watched it myself, but I was tempted to watch since it has a shoujo-ai couple in it, but the major part is shounen-ai. So I refrained from watching it. It's drama/mystery.
Yeah Kouya & Yamato are actually one of my v favorite yuri couples, although they are only in 3 episodes at the most. Loveless is a step above the other shonen-ai anime for me, because it does deepen an implicit defense of same-sex love; in that you are born into your pairing, and whatever sexuality description comes with it (rather than it being an active 'societal choice' or outcome). Of course this is a fantasy world, but the parallel and critiques are there.

Hmm, thanks for the suggestions, but as my original post I was looking for anime that weren't explicitly Yuri/Yaoi, but still contained gay/lesbian relationships.
How canon are you wishing the relationships to be? Because some of the most canon yuri is in anime which has a centric theme of gender and sexuality. Shows which include yuri as an additional element, they often fall into 'subtext' or just mere fanservice. Sadly.

That said, I would suggest the as-mentioned Battle Athletes Victory. I've also heard a lot of praise for Noir, although I've not got to see it all myself yet.

Hitohira - it doesn't quite reach canon but there is an understated vibe/imagery to it all, especially with Nono x Mirei, and it's got good characterisation all round.

Mai HiME - I don't know if Shizuru's feelings for Natsuki are 'cute', more complicated and v intense. But I'll suggest it because the show isn't about yuri, Shizuru is up there with Sei in lesbian canon-ness, and the resolution of it is promising. The relationship between Natsuki and Shizuru also changed to more unspoken 'official' in Mai Otome.

Re: Cutey Honey OVA - it's pretty short, canon and good fun.

Aria - I suppose this is like Haibane Renmei in that it's much about the multi layered 'love' between women, although I wouldn't say sexual. You'll have to go through 'Aria the Animation', 'Aria the Natural', and 'Aria the OVA ~Arietta~' (the OVA pushes it that way the most); the moments between Akari and Alicia are v cute (even if I have a soft spot more for Akira and Alicia).

I think Blue Drop has an interesting plot, that I would watch even without any possible yuri in it - and it's still strong subtext at the moment (this may change).

Thingle
2007-10-29, 13:38
Maria-sama ga miteru

KholdStare
2007-10-29, 14:19
I'll second Cardcaptor Sakura. If you want to see relationship spoilers, go ahead.

One is already mentioned and that is Toya. The other one is arguably Tomoya. The anime never explicitly stated these controversial relationships, but in my opinion there were enough hints for anyone to at least suspect that something is different. Overall the plot isn't about gay/lesbian relationships, and I think Tomoya's relationship is cute. Note that only a tiny bit of the anime hints at these relationships.

Kyero Fox
2007-10-29, 20:15
wait woah what? Card captors is a lesbo/gay anime? wtf? thank god I didn't watch most of it X'D

I can't seem to even withstand a gay/lesbian relation ship.. it just sucks the romance out of it for me =\

KholdStare
2007-10-29, 22:27
wait woah what? Card captors is a lesbo/gay anime? wtf? thank god I didn't watch most of it X'D

I can't seem to even withstand a gay/lesbian relation ship.. it just sucks the romance out of it for me =\

Nope. Cardcaptors has no lesbo/gay in it. Cardcaptor Sakura is not a lesbo/gay anime. It has some elements of homosexuality that does not significantly influence the main characters.

silverwolf
2007-10-29, 22:36
i love how u just go " I NEED ANIME WITH LESBIANS IN IT !!!!"
but yeah
Mai HiME is kinda but not really lesbi :P
and if u want the most explicit with out going in to hentai check Strawberry Panic for sum reson thes no dudes in the hole anime and its looks like ALL the girls are swing the other way in this 1 ... its a man's dream....or nightmare.... :P

risingstar3110
2007-10-29, 22:53
I recommend Kashimashi manga, but unless you can read Japanese, have to wait till March for the final volume. (or you can watch anime but it have different plots and it actually quite annoyed to watch till the final 3,4 episodes).

The main character is not really female, and most of the time i didn't think he is one. Btw, the story focused mostly on comedy and romantic rather than echi...so.

Nope. Cardcaptors has no lesbo/gay in it. Cardcaptor Sakura is not a lesbo/gay anime. It has some elements of homosexuality that does not significantly influence the main characters.
My sister like the manga but i haven't read it much myself. Btw, may I ask: is Sakura's girl friend like her? Or do they just have really close friendship?

Diodati
2007-10-29, 23:07
My sister like the manga but i haven't read it much myself. Btw, may I ask: is Sakura's girl friend like her? Or do they just have really close friendship?
Both. In the original manga, Tomoyo does have feelings for Sakura. It never goes anywhere, I guess partly because Tomoyo wants Sakura to be happy with the dude. That aspect was reduced in the anime and nearly erased in the sub. The Toya/Yukito relationship remains strong in the manga and anime.

i love how u just go " I NEED ANIME WITH LESBIANS IN IT !!!!"
but yeah
Mai HiME is kinda but not really lesbi :P
and if u want the most explicit with out going in to hentai check Strawberry Panic for sum reson thes no dudes in the hole anime and its looks like ALL the girls are swing the other way in this 1 ... its a man's dream....or nightmare.... :PHiME isn't 'about' lesbianism no, but it has some in it.
The request was for anime which wasn't centrally about yuri. And Strawberry Panic's plot/characters/imagery are utterly hinged on yuri. It's the only topic in the whole show! =)

Hikikomori Ja nai
2007-10-30, 00:19
For lesbianism, transgender,akward relationships.... Simoun

Kittie Rose
2007-11-07, 15:40
I decided to watch Utena and that was pretty sweet. Surprising it didn't come up, it didn't really have any lesbian relationships as such

Though the last few minutes of the anime confirm Utena and Anthy were in love with the other; Utena saying she was only happy when she was with Anthy for one, and Anthy's picture where they were holding hands like a couple(There's a particular way to do this, you kind of curve your wrist).

But it was still kind of sweet and was about gender roles and all that. Plus, lots of hot bishis XD Akio is the man.

I'll try the Battle Athlete one. I'm very interested in Noir, I didn't know there was any lesbianism in it?

Also Excel Saga has some subtle and not so subtle lesbian undertones in it from time to time... like part 3 of the "Revival Process" XD

SeijiSensei
2007-11-07, 16:40
One work that hasn't been mentioned is CLAMP's Miyuki-Chan in Wonderland (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=356), a (very) loose retelling of the Alice story where a girl named Miyuki is transported to a fantasy world and pursued by a cast of lesbians like "Humpty Dumpty" here:

http://www.takinganimeseriously.com/images/humpty-dumpty.jpg

The anime OVA is licensed by ADV, but I can't find it at Right Stuf. They also don't list the translated manga (Tokyopop), but I've seen copies in US bookstores.

Autumn Demon
2007-11-07, 20:19
soukou no strain

minhtam1638
2007-11-07, 20:36
kannazuki no miko.

Diodati
2007-11-08, 01:42
I'll try the Battle Athlete one. I'm very interested in Noir, I didn't know there was any lesbianism in it?
Noir is strong subtext between Mireille and Kirika (with Chloe being canon). They're one of the most popular shoujo-ai couples, for their 'bond' at the least.

Another 'serious' show is Devilman Lady / Devil Lady (http://www.animeondvd.com/discdata/essential/devil_lady.html) -- which is more darker than Noir, more canon, but it ends sadder.

Also Excel Saga has some subtle and not so subtle lesbian undertones in it from time to time... like part 3 of the "Revival Process" XD
Heh that's true! If you like blatant random yuri then check out Kosame in Girls Bravo, Lavinia of Sōkō no Strain and Rio Kitagawa in Doki Doki School Hours.

The anime OVA is licensed by ADV, but I can't find it at Right Stuf. They also don't list the translated manga (Tokyopop), but I've seen copies in US bookstores.
I've never been able to find this for some reason..

Kittie Rose
2007-11-08, 10:15
Heh that's true! If you like blatant random yuri then check out Kosame in Girls Bravo, Lavinia of Sōkō no Strain and Rio Kitagawa in Doki Doki School Hours.

And Dragon Half :O Kinda.