PDA

View Full Version : Maken-Ki [manga]

LCeh
2008-03-01, 19:49
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7854/001002ys0.jpg

Mangaka: Hiromitsu Takeda

Art looks great. Reminds me of Mx0, with the magic and stuff, plus the fact that the male character doesn't have any real magic abilities either, except this series has a lot more of a combat theme in it, with duels and stuff.

Looks like it's going to be a fun ride, so far I have been able to find 5 chapters.

Westlo
2008-05-31, 18:58
Just read the first 3 chapters and this looks like being alright, Haruko ftw!

frubam
2008-05-31, 20:05
First let me say this: recently I've been REALLY annoyed by the weak male archetype, particularly after trying to read Girl Saurus. I don't mind a char being weak or a coward, as long as he has SOME characteristic that makes him strong(strong mind, sophisticatied, physically gifted, martial arts skills, whatever). That said, I hope Takeru(the main male char) becomes worthy enough for the affection he's getting, because right now, he just sucks :\ . I've only read the first 2 chapters, so its still to early, but that's just my initial impression of him.

Anyway, I was reminded of Mx0 as well, as it felt like the same formula of a magic school was being used. Art and story are good. The anger/hatred that Kodama has for Takeru keeps me interested enough to wait for the next chap. Also, is Inaho(the girl with the Sharingan symbol) the physical manifestation of Takeru's weapon? She just seemed to pop outta nowhere at the end of chap 1.

Irenicus
2008-05-31, 20:13
First let me say this: recently I've been REALLY annoyed by the weak male archetype, particularly after trying to read Girl Saurus. I don't mind a char being weak or a coward, as long as he has SOME characteristic that makes him strong(strong mind, sophisticatied, physically gifted, martial arts skills, whatever). That said, I hope the main male char becomes worthy enough for the affection he's getting, because right now, he just sucks :\ . I've only read the first 2 chapters, so its still to early, but that's just my initial impression of him.
My sentiments exactly. I like the girls (well...), but you know what, I'm dropping this until somebody tells me he'll change for the better sooner rather than later.

That fucking wimp just ruins any potential the story has for me. Potential drama? Not unless I care for the characters, especially the main guy. Potential comedy? It lost its charm since Keitaro Urashima got married years ago. Potential action? He's a wimp!

Though by the way, I think Girl Saurus is an intentional parody of the genre rather than an example of what's wrong with it. ;)

technomo12
2008-06-01, 06:09
read it liked it a bit still i get the feeling this might become good or bad

it is on a 50-50 verge

vio5555
2008-06-01, 08:54
He'll become as much "of a man" as his character type can become by chapter 5 I'd say.

He's probably going to try to protect women since he is the "women shouldn't fight"-type of guy...

If you're not into that, I'd say skip this one since it seems as if he jumps into fights and helps girls with whatever powers he's developing, but I guess we don't know how far it will go...

ZODDGUTS
2008-06-01, 09:17
So far it's decent hopefully I'll get better though something about it seems a bit offputting maybe it's because of Takeru's character? Also hate characters like that one girl that is all lovely dovey with Haruko-nee god I hate characters like her that is all glingy and shit also pushing the main character away while protecting her loved one from males because she wants to keep her to herself ugh. The whole marriage thing is annoying as well of that one girl doens't take much of a guess that she had known Takeru when children that promised each other to get married, Takeru will suddenly remember all that and their promise. :rolleyes:

Actually now that I think about it I'm sure the reason I found the first 3 chapters off putting is because not much of this series is original lots of cliches to be found, nice art though.

My sentiments exactly. I like the girls (well...), but you know what, I'm dropping this until somebody tells me he'll change for the better sooner rather than later.

That fucking wimp just ruins any potential the story has for me. Potential drama? Not unless I care for the characters, especially the main guy. Potential comedy? It lost its charm since Keitaro Urashima got married years ago. Potential action? He's a wimp!

Same here don't like wimpy characters though I think Takeru will change but for now I gotta deal with him with the way he currently is. I wouldn't mind a character like Koushi Inuzuka from Sumomomo Momomo at least he's an interesting wimp since he uses he's smarts to "beat" he's opponents and the comedy around him was funny not much in this series though just fanservice and the typical gets beaten by girls in each chapter as supposed "comedy" yawn... Anyways hope I'll improve.

technomo12
2008-06-01, 12:04
still i am kinda sick of fist weak and then strong protagonist type but hey at least the comedy and fanservice is goooooooood !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:heh:

Julao
2008-06-21, 22:07
I'm starting to like this series more and more especially chapter 5, where the Takeru X Kodama relationship was slowly developing......... ^_^

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/3054/takeruxkodamasb3.jpg

anyways he is weak at first glance but if you hurt his loved ones, he is very strong just like his attack.................BLOOD POINTER!!!!!!!!!! XD

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/496/takeruownageax7.jpg

frubam
2008-06-21, 22:49
I'm starting to like this series more and more especially chapter 5, where the Takeru X Kodama relationship was slowly developing......... ^_^

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/3054/takeruxkodamasb3.jpg

anyways he is weak at first glance but if you hurt his loved ones, he is very strong just like his attack.................BLOOD POINTER!!!!!!!!!! XD

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/496/takeruownageax7.jpg

Looks good, but I'm still gonna wait until it gets to about chp 8 or 9 before I continue reading it, to give it a chance to get some momentum.

Dingo
2008-06-22, 14:47
This manga is an abomination :) And I seriously doubt it'll get any better.

excelence
2008-06-22, 21:36
err yeah still got that feeling... but the art was good :heh:

Newprimus
2008-06-22, 23:59
Main character has a weird bit of emotional baggage with his mom from the past and with being over-protective of girls. We'll see.

Dingo
2008-06-23, 02:00
err yeah still got that feeling... but the art was good :heh:

Ah yes we find ourselves agreeing, the ecchi was really good, I'll probably keep reading because of it :heh: not.

TrueKnight
2008-06-23, 12:06
Art is good and the girls are nicely drawn. Story is average so far. But this is one of the better harem series with good arts I'm currently following along with Ashita No Yoichi. I wonder if Freezing could be categorized as one of these?

Oops, forgot to add Sekirei eventhough the male lead aren't as good as the above.

Jhono1
2008-06-23, 16:32
Art is nice, if way to messy for my personal taste, the girls are all great looking so far, no complaints in that departement. The protagonist does seem to be a bit on the weak side, which is one of the crappiest clichés out there. He does try to take advantage of the "ecci" situations that he gets in though, which is a big big plus. :p
Couldent care less for the so called fighting, or the story up to chapter 6 so far.

As someone above me said, worth to keep reading if you like ecci.

Sin Ansem
2008-06-23, 20:03
I'm more irate that, after her rather epic entrance, cute Inaho has not had much character development. :/

I'm dropping this if she doesn't get any justice, weakling male protagonist be damned.

excelence
2008-06-23, 20:55
she'll got her time ... it's that type of manga anyway :heh:

and btw Minato is the exact opposite of Takeru in my pov

technomo12
2008-06-24, 10:26
^

you may have a point there ehhehe

frubam
2008-08-14, 20:53
As I said before, I was gonna let a few chapters go by before I continued reading it. Bored, I decided that this was as good of time as any. First, I wanna say that I don't like romanization of regular words like here:
http://img44.onemanga.com/mangas/00000911/000053222/15.jpg
How the HELL am I supposed to know what that means? Though I have watched/listened to enough anime to know what it means, it's REALLY irritating to see this from Hidoi, esp after knowing of their inaccuracies s_b pointed out in the Index manga. Well, enough of this rant.
I'm more irate that, after her rather epic entrance, cute Inaho has not had much character development. :/

I'm dropping this if she doesn't get any justice, weakling male protagonist be damned.
Well chapter 7 does focus on her a little bit.Although a bit childish, it was good to see a bit of conflict between Inaho and Takeru. I was surprised to see the backstory as to why he wants to protect women so much so early in the story. What caught me off-guard even more is when Usui started beating Takeru up :twitch:. I was thinking Usui was using elements? so I actually got a bit excited seeing his anger on that level so early in the manga. I also lol'ed at Kodama's(and Haruka's) way of cheering Takeru up. Guess that means Kodama, more or less, accepts Takeru now(though I guess that was apparent in chap 5 :\). All in all, it's getting a bit better. Because of Takeru's hidden ability, he's become far less annoying that I thought of him in the first 2 chapters. Plus, the ecchi moments give it a little fun as well. With him joining the Maken-ki? I have a feeling its really gonna start pulsing with Mx0 vibes.

ZODDGUTS
2008-08-14, 22:55
It's gotten slightly better but still feels average except for the art which is great.

BTW The art keeps reminding me of a h-manga but can't seem to remember the title or the name of the artist wouldn't be surprise if it's by the same guy that is doing this series but is working under with a different name.

Bonta Kun
2008-08-15, 00:09
I like this series, its not bad but then I'm so easy going and open about almost everything. The little don't bother me so much.

I think its mostly down to that fact I love Haruko-nee, shes just so damn cute!:love:

its also probably down to the inner ecchi, that pesking little bugger is pretty damn strong:p

Newprimus
2008-08-15, 00:46
BTW The art keeps reminding me of a h-manga but can't seem to remember the title or the name of the artist wouldn't be surprise if it's by the same guy that is doing this series but is working under with a different name.

The author of this manga has done a butt-ton of H works in the past. With the same name.

Same with the author of Sekirei. And the author of Omamori Himari. Are we seeing a pattern here? :heh:

EDIT: The author of Sekirei actually did her yaoi stuff with her real name. The name on Sekirei is a pen-name.

technomo12
2008-08-15, 01:16
well now wonder about those hehehe still yaoi i think i can still handle that hehehehe

ZODDGUTS
2008-08-15, 21:25
The author of this manga has done a butt-ton of H works in the past. With the same name.

Same with the author of Sekirei. And the author of Omamori Himari. Are we seeing a pattern here? :heh:

EDIT: The author of Sekirei actually did her yaoi stuff with her real name. The name on Sekirei is a pen-name.

Yup your right wow so it was the same guy of those scanlation of those h-manga that I um... read heh. Anyways I still see he's doing h-manga he recently did a chapter for Comic Megastore 2008 08.

http://img44.imagevenue.com/loc818/th_52789_032_123_818lo.jpg (http://img44.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=52789_032_123_818lo.jpg)http://img45.imagevenue.com/loc978/th_52797_034_123_978lo.jpg (http://img45.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=52797_034_123_978lo.jpg)http://img168.imagevenue.com/loc1037/th_52804_048_123_1037lo.jpg (http://img168.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=52804_048_123_1037lo.jpg)

That's the only safe images I can upload. :heh:

MooMooFarm
2008-08-19, 10:01
First let me say this: recently I've been REALLY annoyed by the weak male archetype, particularly after trying to read Girl Saurus. I don't mind a char being weak or a coward, as long as he has SOME characteristic that makes him strong(strong mind, sophisticatied, physically gifted, martial arts skills, whatever). That said, I hope Takeru(the main male char) becomes worthy enough for the affection he's getting, because right now, he just sucks :\ . I've only read the first 2 chapters, so its still to early, but that's just my initial impression of him.

Anyway, I was reminded of Mx0 as well, as it felt like the same formula of a magic school was being used. Art and story are good. The anger/hatred that Kodama has for Takeru keeps me interested enough to wait for the next chap. Also, is Inaho(the girl with the Sharingan symbol) the physical manifestation of Takeru's weapon? She just seemed to pop outta nowhere at the end of chap 1.

I agree so much on hating weak male archetype, simply because it's treated completely differently than weak female archetypes. You don't see ugly weak females be the main lead, or ones that look like complete losers. Even Kiri from Beauty Pop has that Daria look that goes -.- and makes you accept her along with her amazing scissor skills.

But, if I have to say, Girls Saurus/DX is way better than Maken-Ki for male leads. GS/DX is like people said, a parody/comedy driven, which is much more acceptable. Second, Shingo does have like-able qualities and isn't weak, but rather, cannot compare to the majority of the super females that are a match for the justice league. He is continually shown as a complete superior to most other males, and unlike the Maken-Ki lead, he isn't drawn in a way that makes you go EWWWW LOSER aka chubby round face with glasses with bad hair. Shingo is old school stupid, but that just fits the drawing style of his hilarious freak outs.

Now Mx0 comparison is just unfair. There is no way Maken-Ki can touch it. Right off from the start Maken-Ki goes Fanservice mode and tries to entice shonens from the hentai-suitable drawing style. Mx0's drawing style was amazingly efficient. You can have sexy characters, you can have ugly but not too ugly characters, you can have normal looking characters that you don't wanna beat the crap out of and vice versa, you can have serious looking characters, etc etc. An example is the girl factor. Doesn't matter if Maken-ki's blondey is almost flat chested, she's still drawn to give off the sex vibe. Mx0's Hiragi is more like a cuddle girl :] that makes you want to pet her, though if you are loli and what not then it gets kinda scary and there's no difference. Another factor is how the story panned out. Maken-Ki = girls throw themselves at Haruto. Mx0 = Taiga slowly gets girls into his group. And Taiga vs Haruto isn't even a match when Taiga is a character that'd stomp Naruto and Ichigo and maybe compete with Luffy in terms of being a man, let alone characters that are only meant to be drawn for their respective manga. About the only male lead that is similarly in league with Taiga is Min-ho from UxU.

Of course, I could be completely wrong as Maken-Ki progresses, but this is how these opening chapters look for me. Moment I saw the nurse, I was like damn that's 4chan fap material, but otherwise I just went T_T at the story. The introduction of magic in Maken-Ki is as bland as it was in Negima, and Negima WAS ALREADY MAGICAL. There's just no battle system, no use of "game rules" if you will that is incorporated in a NON LAME way. It's like, OoOoO why the HELL did this happen? Mx0 did it in a "OH CRAP I GOT IN HERE BY ACCIDENT and people are KIND enough to explain each and every detail" while Maken-Ki's first scene at the auditorium was like....EH? .

Mx0's greatest asset was the fact that the author knew he/she wouldn't do well with a genuine battle system, and tried to mesh it with competitions/events that were easier to understand/explain/create stories with. The class battles and exams and what not were probably the most innovating system that was smoothly plugged in the plot for the manga's generation, even better than the Chunin Exam from Naruto.

=/ Only way to make this series a A from a C-B from my limited creativity is to cliche Haruto as multi face guy who can somehow transform into someone COOL that we'd like. As it is now, with the way he's drawn (and he's not drawn without detail or anything, it's just that he's purposely MADE A LOSER) it doesn't matter if you suddenly made him appear on Axe commercials, he still wouldn't be cool. Asthetics matter in a media format that relies on pictures more than words, and it's not liek Orihime VS where you have some god like guy like Im Dal making the story that you know will at least be PASSABLE.

But hey, if I must say, Maken-Ki totally owns Mx0 and Girls Saurus at making the chicks look good, though completely indecent. Maybe it's just me, but Maken-Ki girls remind me of having the "over-glamor/makeup" treatment of a mangaka. Girls Saurus is really old school and isn't really sexy at all, just kinda funny.

=D Maybe I'll continue reading this, well, no I definitely will once chapters pile up but it's not addictive enough to be must read once a chapter comes out.

frubam
2008-08-19, 18:36
But, if I have to say, Girls Saurus/DX is way better than Maken-Ki for male leads. GS/DX is like people said, a parody/comedy driven, which is much more acceptable. Second, Shingo does have like-able qualities and isn't weak, but rather, cannot compare to the majority of the super females that are a match for the justice league. He is continually shown as a complete superior to most other males, and unlike the Maken-Ki lead, he isn't drawn in a way that makes you go EWWWW LOSER aka chubby round face with glasses with bad hair. Shingo is old school stupid, but that just fits the drawing style of his hilarious freak outs.I disagree with Shingo being "way" better than Takeru(main lead - Maken-ki), though Shingo's normal personality is truly much better and less generic than Takeru's. While Shingo may have likable qualities, as you say, since most of the time, he's around one of the central girls in the story, you really don't get to see that aspect of his character when it counts most, which is, of course, when he is around those girls. What you see most is him being afraid of girls, and the personality he shows then cuts into his char as a whole. Perhaps if I had known it was a parody of the harem type of manga, I could have loved it all the way til the end, but unfortunately, I didn't know.

In the first GS, it seemed more balanced. To me, that's one of the most important aspects in a harem manga/anime. Even if Shingo was afraid of girls, since he shown himself to be afraid of all the central girls, I liked it. Heck, he even alleviated his fear a bit. When it came to DX though, I saw the focus started to shift more towards Haruka. It REALLY irritated me to see him push off every other girl, but occasionally become immune to Haruka. If Shingo and Haruka had a similiar relationship to, say, Daisuke and Aikawa(Bitter Virgin), it'd be a bit more understandable, but since [I guess] it's a parody, that shouldn't happen. Now I do understand that the romance or whatever between those two had to escalate, but even with that rational thought, it couldnt' stave off my irritation for his char. I could have accepted it if Shingo's fear of women in general decrease a bit, so that everyone could get some time in. Now I don't think Takeru is that much better, but at least after reading up to chap 7, I can understand his convictions a little. I can't understand how Shingo can be around the same women almost all the time nearly equally, and only be immune to Haruka.

Maybe I'll give it another go from the very beginning with the idea that its a parody in mind.

Now Mx0 comparison is just unfair. There is no way Maken-Ki can touch it. Right off from the start Maken-Ki goes Fanservice mode and tries to entice shonens from the hentai-suitable drawing style. Mx0's drawing style was amazingly efficient. You can have sexy characters, you can have ugly but not too ugly characters, you can have normal looking characters that you don't wanna beat the crap out of and vice versa, you can have serious looking characters, etc etc. An example is the girl factor. Doesn't matter if Maken-ki's blondey is almost flat chested, she's still drawn to give off the sex vibe. Mx0's Hiragi is more like a cuddle girl :] that makes you want to pet her, though if you are loli and what not then it gets kinda scary and there's no difference. Another factor is how the story panned out. Maken-Ki = girls throw themselves at Haruto. Mx0 = Taiga slowly gets girls into his group. And Taiga vs Haruto isn't even a match when Taiga is a character that'd stomp Naruto and Ichigo and maybe compete with Luffy in terms of being a man, let alone characters that are only meant to be drawn for their respective manga. About the only male lead that is similarly in league with Taiga is Min-ho from UxU.I don't think the Mx0 comparision is unfair at all. Actually, I said Maken-ki reminded me of Mx0, simply because they both deal with going to a high school where you can obtain special abilities and, in some ways, use it on campus against other students. Now, I never said it was better than Mx0. It's not, nor do I think it will ever be.

And I'll agree with the rest of what you said, except that Hiraigi was probably one of the most mundane, ordinary chars in the story. She had her moments, but I preferred Mizuki and Lucy, as they were far more enjoyable for me.

MooMooFarm
2008-08-22, 05:02
You are correct on Shingo. But the main flaw I have with Takeru is his character drawing design, not what he does. What he does, his personality, is well, generic. I might be considered bias, but as a manga, I have to consider how well your personality fits your drawing look. Takeru fits his meek weak character, but that only puts it on generic.

Shingo's superiority does sadly lie in the fact that it is a parody lol, if we take him to another manga, I'd say he's pretty much as crappy as Takeru. But his stupid look, old school drawing concept, and just how cliche he is and his flaws that you pointed out "fit" the old school drawing of Girls Saurus. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the drawings in GS are definitely from the 1990s, and that lets me go "hey, it's bound to have the flaws of the 1990s material". Maken-Ki is a newer generation, so I'd expect more. Shingo does actually get a little better dealing with the other girls, just that the mangaka doesn't actually hint it outright, which is of course bad.

Hiiragi is truly plain, and that's why I pointed her out as a teddy bear ^______^ or something, because teddies don't talk or do nothing. I'm talking about how she's drawn. You get the sense that "Hey, this supports Taiga's character". Mizuki is probably the most fleshed out of the characters, but she's the one that is presented to be a mix of Cute and trying to be Sexy. Lucy is the most intimate one, and probably one of the only characters that'd make people actually appreciate a floating plant LOL. All 3 females are incredibly important in their own way, so I probably should've stated their places instead of just Hiiragi. I agree with you though that the other two added more to the plot, but I believe those two were more effective in their roles than if say they were the girl Taiga wanted, specially Lucy. The fact that you stated how wrong it was how Haruka got special treatment is somewhat of an example of that. Being a more fleshed out character and yet still being treated as the main female lead is very hard to not have mistakes made.

Some series don't do this at all, or try to spread it out. Currently Code Geass is the best example. CC/Kallen/Shirley/Nunnally are near equally spread out in importance over the extent of the series, and while Nunnally is the "Hiiragi/Haruka" of the story, it proves me right that at the moment, writers do not know how to create a story that makes that position interesting. Sure Nunnally is a decent character, but would you like her over any of the others? The mysterious/moe/fandomed CC? The action packed gets into hot situation passionate Kallen? The genuine lover Shirley? No, not really. That and the drawing design pretty much says so. This forum alone can show you how much attention Shirley's death got over Nunnally's.

=] And I'm a firm believer that CG is a polished product of today's anime, that while has no specialized strength, does almost everything it offers up to a very high standard. For a product like that to say no to the damsel position and just generic treatment it, is to say, a very big statement.

Or if you want another example, there's no way in hell Harry Potter would've worked as well if Harmonie x Harry happened. You want incest or something for the Weasleys? Jk.

Edit: Last thing though I've been ranting. I think the fact that you read GS as a non parody in the first place indicates two things. Either perhaps you aren't as phail/otaku/nerdy/whatever as I am at recognizing stuff, or GS just failed to strongly portray it's genre and intended viewing.

Oops, I totally forgot. Thanks for reminding me! =] and uh, LOL I don't know what to say.

Irenicus
2008-08-22, 05:22
MooMooFarm: Please be careful about spoilers in your post above. I haven't catched up to Code Geass since episode 16 (you know what happened around then, or before it, anyway), and if I read it right you just spoilered another huge wtf event for us who haven't had the energy to follow it week for week since then.

I mean...did that really happen! :upset:

Julao
2008-08-27, 07:54
Comments about chapter 8:

* One more girl falls for takeru, her name is Shiria Ootsuka, and she's in love with him that he proudly calls him her perfect knight, much to the dismay of the girls.

* An organization called "Venus" led by Akaya Kodai (a former member of the maken-ki) arrives at tenbi, and now is working together with the current maken-ki members in tracking down an evil organization which is trying to revive the "Yamata no Orochi".

* Takeru finally acquires his own maken thanks to makensmith gen.

MooMooFarm
2008-08-28, 22:54
Comments about chapter 8:

* One more girl falls for takeru, her name is Shiria Ootsuka, and she's in love with him that he proudly calls him her perfect knight, much to the dismay of the girls.

* An organization called "Venus" led by Akaya Kodai (a former member of the maken-ki) arrives at tenbi, and now is working together with the current maken-ki members in tracking down an evil organization which is trying to revive the "Yamata no Orochi".

* Takeru finally acquires his own maken thanks to makensmith gen.

T_T sooooo fail. Anyone get that feeling that even though it was already "way too unschool x magic - like" this chapter really killed it? Like, if Harry Potter introduced some SOCOM unit or something in Book 2 to the school or something, and had them fighting the stupid giant snake, any of you think that series would gone to shit for the rest? Like, wow man, introducing too many elements and too many characters = FAIL. Do people not understand this? Even something as rushed as Code Geass episode 20 took it's TIME to get set up by one whole season and 19 other episodes before it went Speedy Gonzalles.

And I don't get the Maken system at all. It's not clear-cut and just kind of gives an excuse for the mangaka to draw semi-cool looking weapons or objects. =[ if it weren't for the excellent drawing, I would've forsaken this already.

technomo12
2008-08-29, 01:42
ok this seems to be starting to become another harem manga

Ultenth
2008-08-29, 01:59
Starting to become? I thought it was pretty obvious from the cover of the manga, and even then it's pretty obvious from the first 1/2 a chapter or so that's where they are heading. Even still, even for a harem manga it's pretty cliche ridden, but at least the art is nice.

technomo12
2008-08-29, 22:20
ya the art is nice even though using another cliche genre but still the point of being here is the fights soo i really would like him to take on a fight hehehehe

ZODDGUTS
2008-08-29, 22:44
You guys should just check out he's h-manga/doujins instead then, it has a more satisfying feeling afterwords if you know what I mean heh. :p

BTW Most of he's works are translated.

http://www.mangaupdates.com/authors.html?id=4540

Dark Mage
2008-08-30, 01:20
what do u guys think about who will Takeru end up with? I am hoping he ends up with Kodama

MooMooFarm
2008-08-30, 02:22
You guys should just check out he's h-manga/doujins instead then, it has a more satisfying feeling afterwords if you know what I mean heh. :p

BTW Most of he's works are translated.

http://www.mangaupdates.com/authors.html?id=4540

I KNEW IT, HE WAS H-MATERIAL. No frigging way you draw it that scandalous and you DON'T have a job as a H-artist.

Oh and umm yeah technomo lol this was definitely Harem off the bat. I've rarely seen a loser weak male lead in a non-harem series, besides maybe Eureka 7 or something.

Newprimus
2008-08-30, 03:01
Being an H-artist turned mainstream is not a bad thing. For one, it's pretty much almost always guaranteed that 1: their girls are ultra-hot 2: their art skills are really top-notch.

MooMooFarm
2008-08-30, 03:09
Being an H-artist is not a bad thing. For one, it's pretty much guaranteed that 1: their girls are ultra-hot 2: their art skills are really top-notch.

I never said it was a bad thing lol. I was just happy I was right =] it means my nerdy manga experience is showing.

But umm, as for design, I still think using a H-style isn't the perfect way to go. I'm probably biased, but for an OVERALL viewership, drawing styles like Mx0 or Eyeshield 21 or even POT to a point is the best.

I'll give this to Maken-Ki though, at least it's better than High School of the Dead. Wait, no not really. Maybe tied. Maken-ki has more suitable drawings for it's environment, while High School has a more reasonable environment.

Ultenth
2008-08-30, 07:10
Yeah, I've read most of his H stuff, but I didn't really care for it cus all his women are ENORMOUS. Like the males are usually slightly below average size, but the women are usually double or triple their overall mass it seems.

technomo12
2008-08-30, 09:33
dude the one who sposted a link about the author

YOU ROCKZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TY I HAVE BEEN TRYIN TO FIND GOD HENTAI SITE TY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nemesis
2008-08-30, 09:45
Being an H-artist turned mainstream is not a bad thing. For one, it's pretty much almost always guaranteed that 1: their girls are ultra-hot 2: their art skills are really top-notch.

so true though.

Newprimus
2008-09-01, 01:58
But umm, as for design, I still think using a H-style isn't the perfect way to go. I'm probably biased, but for an OVERALL viewership, drawing styles like Mx0 or Eyeshield 21 or even POT to a point is the best.

It should be said though that there are quite a many different styles of "H-style" since there are many notable H-artists out there, some working in games, some in h-manga, some both.

frubam
2008-09-24, 15:02
I just want to say that I think its REAAALLLLY stupid to have a manga release bi-monthly and only have 12 damn pages(last chapter was only 9):mad:

Ultenth
2008-09-24, 22:56
Not only was it 12 pages, but it was complete crap filler. I have a feeling this will be cancelled soon, if it's only this early on and the mangaka is being this lazy.

Samanosuke
2008-09-24, 23:47
When this came out , it was in august , I believe Takeda has been busy doing something else , ..you know..like C74 , etc. And he still has publish H-stuff at least every two month (usually) in other magazines.

I babelfish'ed his blog entry where this chapter is mentioned , but it doesn't say why it's short
, just that he apologize for being slow.

Master Assassin
2009-05-17, 06:21
ok this seems to be starting to become another harem manga

Where the main male character is, much to my disappointment, a *cough*wimp*cough*.

I sense total sexism... probably.

Anyway, I wonder why I'm still reading this. Am I seriously hoping the *cough*wimpiness*cough* of the main male character goes away and he does something really, really (and totally) GAR in the future...? I hope not, though I do hope that will happen to balance stuff up.

Johnny
2009-05-17, 16:49
From the newest chapter ti looks like it. Well hopefully that is, that were about to see some GAR'ness from him. We seen one small instance earlier, let's hope we see his real power. Oh and lotsa boobs as well...

Jackster
2009-10-10, 10:02
Just a quick question, about the latest Chapter (19).

Did i get it right that Takerus Maken has the Power to
change genders? oO

cyberdemon
2009-10-10, 12:24

change genders? oO

my guess is that it
has the ability to reveal the truth about people
or
it has the power to deactivate any maken

Johnny
2009-10-10, 13:01

change genders? oO

That be Ms. Celia Ootsuka. 100% babe before and after...
http://i35.tinypic.com/68x83o.jpg

I'm leaning toward the negate thing, but I think there's more to it than that. Remember when Himegami noticed that mark on his chest. She called the power according to the t/l Blood Pointer. Also who was that Zeus looking guy on the first page of the first chapter claiming to be his father? With how slow the plots been moving it may be awhile before anything is answered fully...

cyberdemon
2009-10-10, 18:19

I'm leaning toward the negate thing, but I think there's more to it than that. Remember when Himegami noticed that mark on his chest. She called the power according to the t/l Blood Pointer. Also who was that Zeus looking guy on the first page of the first chapter claiming to be his father? With how slow the plots been moving it may be awhile before anything is answered fully...

my guess on the zeus guy

he's one of the original maken that were mentioned earlier on. He just mentioned that Takeru's powers have awakened but that he wasn't ready to possess one of the original maken.

Jackster
2009-10-10, 19:26

Because of that Page...
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2474/1909yq.th.jpg (http://img269.imageshack.us/i/1909yq.jpg/)
i thought she became male. :heh:
Hidoi has to hurry with Chapter 18 & 19.^^

Johnny
2009-10-10, 19:35
She's had the hots for him ever since she showed up. Amazingly for being a perv he's pretty reluctant to take up any of her offers...:heh:

KLGChaos
2009-12-07, 10:45
This manga is average.... of course, I didn't expect too much from a Hentai author in the first place, but the main character is so weak that it ruins most of it for me. He competes with Kurenai (from Kurenai) for weakest male character in a fighting manga in my mind. I can understand wanting to start characters out weak and have them grow, but having them so weak and stay that wimpy... it doesn't make for an interesting read.

Tyrone Biggums
2009-12-07, 12:28
I'm pretty sure his maken power is to deactivate or absorb the others maken.

When he used it on that chick (who is a mangina) her maken kept it "tucked" for lack of a better term. And when he used his power he absorbed or deactivated hers, revealing little Mr. Wang.

cyberdemon
2009-12-07, 13:27
I'm pretty sure his maken power is to deactivate or absorb the others maken.

When he used it on that chick (who is a mangina) her maken kept it "tucked" for lack of a better term. And when he used his power he absorbed or deactivated hers, revealing little Mr. Wang.

there is already an explanation to what his maken power is

basically it overloads a maken's power thus making it in usable due to too much power. It's a double edged sword though because if the user has excellent control over their maken then it will just power them up instead

KLGChaos
2009-12-07, 18:17
there is already an explanation to what his maken power is

basically it overloads a maken's power thus making it in usable due to too much power. It's a double edged sword though because if the user has excellent control over their maken then it will just power them up instead

Which is funny because it really only lets him take out the small fry. If he meets someone strong who has good control, all he does is power them up. So the time when it would come in really handy, it becomes a burden instead. It's kind of a useless Maken.

Jackster
2009-12-07, 19:37
Which is funny because it really only lets him take out the small fry. If he meets someone strong who has good control, all he does is power them up. So the time when it would come in really handy, it becomes a burden instead. It's kind of a useless Maken.
Not if he can use his Maken on his friends to Power them up. Then it could be quite useful.

Bonta Kun
2009-12-07, 21:25
Not if he can use his Maken on his friends to Power them up. Then it could be quite useful.

Which will basically take him outta of the equation for pwning anyone really. While its a little something different, I would prefer to see him kick some arse.

call me typical shouen but sometimes its just what you want to see, lead doing some good old arse kicking:p

Johnny
2009-12-07, 21:53
I think there's more to him then meets the eye. The tattoo on his chest is one thing. It made Kodama want to kill him after seeing it. It's just taking a really really really long time to get the plot moving forward...

KLGChaos
2009-12-08, 07:25
I think there's more to him then meets the eye. The tattoo on his chest is one thing. It made Kodama want to kill him after seeing it. It's just taking a really really really long time to get the plot moving forward...

Tell me about it. What is it, like 10 chapters now and they've barely cleared one floor? I thought Bleach moved slow... which is why I stopped reading it in the first place.

Bonta Kun
2011-06-28, 16:25
LOL with some previous chapters I'd suspect people had thoughts about it and chapter 38 confirms a great revelation about Aki-chan~:p(reminds me of another series with awesome onee-sama type;))

I really hope it brings about another amusing dynamic to the interactions between Aki-chan, Minori, Takeru and Usui as they are the most amusing characters for me, surprisingly.

Btw if I am shipping here I'd have to go wtih Aki-chan X Usui.
Takeru ain't a bad MC per say, theres nothing about him that would make me hate or even dislike him but there isn't anything about him that makes me like him either.
On the other hand Usui is just cool. He is just better I guess and hell his female gender bending side totally eclipses Takeru's:p(I did not expect to see that despite previous gender bending going on before)
I will say that I do find the takeru and Usui's honesty towards their inner perverts amusing:heh:

Now I'd like to say something about something I've found out recently and that is alot of characters that I like the most tend to be the big boobed beauties, which isn't the only reason behind me liking them:p
Just it seems their personalities along with their looks are the most appealing within alot of casts.
But then one of my favorite characters here is Furan(the glasses student council), she has the glasses and the long haired tied up look and that wins her a crap load of points(no big boobs there:p)

I tell ya Takeda Hiromishu knows how to appeal to all manner of fetishes:D
While the sotry telling is iffy, I can't fault the art and character designs:bow:

About the series, story is still moving quite slowly but then I can live with it.
I get enough Aki-chan and Haruko to keep me busy, altho wished Furan got more attention as well.

Pen3
2012-08-22, 10:40
But then one of my favorite characters here is Furan(the glasses student council), she has the glasses and the long haired tied up look and that wins her a crap load of points(no big boobs there:p)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Pfg5tqbjmJo/UDT5YF4qd_I/AAAAAAAAA2U/xyae3mrD8Y8/s800/Maken-Ki%2521_c48raw_p18.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3_nB6xJCEQk/UDT5amRIwMI/AAAAAAAAA2c/snL3IqpqsS8/s1024/Maken-Ki%2521_c48raw_p20-1.jpg

Richocet
2012-10-25, 11:22
Just read the latest scan release of chap 46. Seems to be heading to a climax of some sorts
But who knows how long that'll take

Johnny
2013-01-13, 06:47
I think we're reaching the climax of the manga...
Takeru's hard work is about to come to fruit now that those bracelets are off. Don't completely understand things, but one thing is for certain Himegami has completely taken over the role as lead female for quite some time. Not that I mind because I do like Haruko's huge boobs, but Himegami being all dere dere tops that. However, that looks like it might change with the events of the newest raw ch 56. Whether she'll disappear for good since she protected him whose to say, but this was one helluva scene toward the end as she was fading away...
http://i48.tinypic.com/hupo4n.jpg

MAX_COLA_POWER!
2013-01-13, 13:16
I think we're reaching the climax of the manga...
Takeru's hard work is about to come to fruit now that those bracelets are off. Don't completely understand things, but one thing is for certain Himegami has completely taken over the role as lead female for quite some time. Not that I mind because I do like Haruko's huge boobs, but Himegami being all dere dere tops that. However, that looks like it might change with the events of the newest raw ch 56. Whether she'll disappear for good since she protected him whose to say, but this was one helluva scene toward the end as she was fading away...
http://i48.tinypic.com/hupo4n.jpgNot to sound insensitive but, the manga's reaching its climax? Good. Now can the author go back to his roots already?

Johnny
2013-02-13, 05:02
I don't think he's ever stopped making them...

As for the newest raw...
Himegami's fate is still unknown, but Takeru going into berserk rage mode makes up for it...

http://s4d2.turboimagehost.com/t1/15127129_Maken-Ki_c57raw_p07.jpg (http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/15127129/Maken-Ki_c57raw_p07.jpg.html) http://s4d2.turboimagehost.com/t1/15127130_Maken-Ki_c57raw_p15.jpg (http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/15127130/Maken-Ki_c57raw_p15.jpg.html) http://s4d2.turboimagehost.com/t1/15127131_Maken-Ki_c57raw_p16.jpg (http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/15127131/Maken-Ki_c57raw_p16.jpg.html)

Shadow5YA
2013-02-13, 05:06
Not to sound insensitive but, the manga's reaching its climax? Good. Now can the author go back to his roots already?

You make it sound like Takeda Hiromitsu stopped drawing h-manga since this series started.

Trust me... there is still plenty coming from him.

for3ver
2013-02-15, 01:02
hmmmmm...

chapter 57 was wonderful ^^, all that anger.... heheheh.... now all we need is himegami 2 come bak, and we have a happy ending (assuming the manga ends here).

anyway... i've nvr read a h-manga by takeda hiromitsu

does he do harem often? if so, what are the chances of an open end?

bumbayker
2013-02-15, 13:31

You better check the descriptions of his works first before reading them. Many of them are NTR, mind break, rape or a combination of the 3 though he has done a few vanilla. Check out Tsundero first since it's probably his best work IMO.

As for harem, Maken-Ki is probably the closest he's ever gotten to the genre AFAIK.

MAX_COLA_POWER!
2013-02-15, 14:29
He's done a harem, of the reverse kind, so you may not be interested in that one^^;;.

Nvis
2013-02-24, 21:58
57??

Translations are falling behind.....:uhoh:

Celia/Shiria = my favorite.......:uhoh:

Mura
2013-03-06, 09:51
Just checked out the raws up to ch. 57. Chapter 56 broke my heart.T_T

@Nvis Well Celia/Shiria certainly has a certain charm.:heh:

Drkz
2013-03-08, 00:08
hmmmmm...

chapter 57 was wonderful ^^, all that anger.... heheheh.... now all we need is himegami 2 come bak, and we have a happy ending (assuming the manga ends here).

No not really. He made a ton of DJs but yeah their mainly rape or ntr. I think he has two released tanks for his H stuff or was it one can't remember.

57??

Translations are falling behind.....:uhoh:

Celia/Shiria = my favorite.......:uhoh:

Yeah translations fell behind awhile back. I think the only group that was doing them was hidor? Maybe they stopped. Theres a guy who scans them on a monthly basis i think he did a collab with someone and released a few chs ever since hidor stopped. Not sure whats going on but Imperial re-released stuff. According to their site and channel group disbanded.

Meh. Not my personal opinion, but opinions of other people I know too. Maken-ki isn't really strong story-wise. Most people read it cause of the art. Which probably means a lot of potential groups wouldn't pick it up even if no one does it anymore. They'd prefer something that has a story and good art. And seriously. Takeda should just go back to H. His H way better.

Tempest35
2013-03-10, 23:37
Chapter 50 released

... wow, a grown up version of Himegami. I have not lived till today... :love:

Oh sh-

That's her MOTHER!?!?... I always wondered why I was attracted to Himegami, now I know why.

MAX_COLA_POWER!
2013-03-11, 01:24
Chapter 50 released

Oh sh-

That's her MOTHER!?!?... I always wondered why I was attracted to Himegami, now I know why.
Apparently big tits skips a generation and end in an NTR Doujin by Takeda.

Drkz
2013-03-11, 12:40
Chapter 50 released

Oh sh-

Wait what?
I thought its the same person. Only she shrunk...
We need a s2 to see this animated :eyespin:

cyberdemon
2013-03-11, 12:53
Wait what?
I thought its the same person. Only she shrunk...
We need a s2 to see this animated :eyespin:

I believe its all about reincarnations.

Tachibana
2013-03-11, 13:56
Adult Himgami, HOT DAMN! :D

Perhaps thats Himegami's original form, and that shes the Yamato No Orochi, which might be why Ouken is after her so badly, she has already been pointed out as not being a human.

Tempest35
2013-03-11, 22:28
RAAAAGE~ That bastard!!!!

But I must admit, the following was the most satsifying beatdown I've witnessed in a long time from a MC. No words were needed, no speeches, nothing - just pure raw emotion.

...that kiss... so hawt, but oh so heartbreaking...

Johnny
2013-03-12, 01:06
Himegami is back!!!! It was hilarious because Takeru felt the need to touch her all over to make sure she was real. That ended poorly for him...:heh:

Ouken got away and like turambar said on his blog the story ain't done yet. Back to Tenbi Academy we go. Agree ignoring Ouken's getaway since Haruko has been absent from the story for awhile and as much as I like Himegami Haruko's probably considered the main girl...

Tachibana
2013-03-12, 04:47
Wow, I guess I misinterpreted a lot of things, damn I've been away from this series for too long. I put it down a while back because I've been waiting for more chapters to be released, now I gotta catch up.

Freeter
2013-03-12, 11:36
Himegami is back!!!! It was hilarious because Takeru felt the need to touch her all over to make sure she was real. That ended poorly for him...:heh:

I don't think he minded at all :p

Still wondering about Aki and the principal though. Maybe Takeru can get touchy-feely with them also :heh:

for3ver
2013-04-13, 00:40
pure speculation, but I guess this means Inaho lost >>.... Himegami better win....

doesnt seem like we'll get open/harem end now...

kazzuya13
2013-04-13, 01:11
I wonder how long will I have to wait to finally read a translation for chapter 56 and 57 because it looks epic.

Tempest35
2013-04-13, 03:35
pure speculation, but I guess this means Inaho lost >>.... Himegami better win....

doesnt seem like we'll get open/harem end now...

I know that Haruko is the first girl and that Inaho is the other cute childhood friend but, personally, I love the maturity of Himegami, especially for Takeru. A guy like him needs a girl who can keep him in line with the force of her personality and both Himegami and Haruko have that. Not even going to go into the body/figure because Himegami's just a late bloomer, especially if her mother is any indication. :love: Haruko, you're great, really, you are but...for some reason, you just don't flip that 'switch' in me. Himegami, however, does.

Himegami must WIN! :frustrated:

Not even counting the fact that he's actually related to her on a small genetic and spiritual level...might be icky for some but just makes it more apparent that she has a deeper level claim on him than the other girls. If she doesn't get Takeru, it's because she herself doesn't want him like that.

I feel so weird rooting for her since I'm a breast-lover myself but...'good things come to those who wait'. :D

Tempest35
2013-05-15, 07:04
Chapter 51 is up~

D'awww~ Himegami is adorable here.

kazzuya13
2013-05-15, 08:47
But still have to wait until we get back to the present

Tempest35
2013-05-15, 14:42
After seeing what Himegami will eventually grow into, I'd say it's a trip well spent. XD

shadow1296
2013-12-03, 20:51
has this manga ended or anything?

Tenzen12
2013-12-03, 20:54
I saw new chapter month ago or so...

shadow1296
2013-12-03, 20:59
ah okay, well i was just curious because this thread has been dead for months now

Miraluka
2013-12-03, 21:16
Is this manga montly, isn't?

Birdway
2014-04-01, 00:34
Finally catched up and it was a well deserved beating Oukend had it had a nice conclusion....that's what I would like to say, then we got the infamous chapter 59, just when I forget how plain boring Haruko was to the point of forgetting how she lost her element, the Plot Romance messes up my mood. Sigh... poor Inaho got out of competition, I hope this series doesn't ends with the childhood friend rout, I mean I got nothing against the trope in general but I do when said character just hides her feelings and makes everyone suffer.

Oh, I'm here for Kodama, all the fucking way.

XFire
2014-09-08, 22:38
Wow, this Espada chick is crazy. The good kind of crazy.

Miraluka
2014-09-08, 22:42
Haruko a shit.

Seriously, does anyone cares for her?

XFire
2015-01-28, 11:37
The power of Espada's harem way will necro this thread

dragon213
2015-10-15, 01:46
Anyone who has an idea about who it is that Takeru really like?

XFire
2015-10-15, 12:49
Anyone who has an idea about who it is that Takeru really like?

Haru-nee (I think is her name?), the girl with the laser sword. Also, obviously, the "first" girl.

Kuroageha
2015-10-15, 13:26
Since Haruko was confirmed as the obvious winner only Spada could barely sustain the series.

dragon213
2015-10-15, 17:33
Haru-nee (I think is her name?), the girl with the laser sword. Also, obviously, the "first" girl.

So it was Haruko huh? from what I read I didn't really learn if it was her but I suspected that it was her.

Kibo
2018-07-24, 04:36
I don't suppose anyone knows if latest chapters ever been released? Like chapter 106? Maybe even 107.

bodo
2018-07-24, 08:25
Out in jp, in english not yet, vol 21 (probably 104-108 or 104-107/107.5) is released in September.

Kibo
2018-07-24, 18:46
Out in jp, in english not yet, vol 21 (probably 104-108 or 104-107/107.5) is released in September.

Out in Japanese? How do you know that?

bodo
2018-07-24, 23:32
Eh? They are released in the magazine first, if I'm not wrong ch 103.5 was released in September (ドラゴンエイジ 2017年10月号) last year, the latest magazine is ドラゴンエイジ 2018年8月号.

Kibo
2018-07-28, 18:27
Eh? They are released in the magazine first, if I'm not wrong ch 103.5 was released in September (ドラゴンエイジ 2017年10月号) last year, the latest magazine is ドラゴンエイジ 2018年8月号.

I wouldn't mind if it isn't translated. I've gotten desperate enough to search for raws now. It's depressing I know.

linkboy83
2018-08-27, 23:17
The raws are out there. Im just curious if its done or not.

Kuroageha
2018-08-28, 23:38
I doubt it's over yet, but I wonder where it will go now, afaik there's been lots of extras based on Usui's delusions with the girls, Takeru can't get them anymore because he already is with Haruko and the harem(?) was pointless since Inaho got rejected early on.

At least Usui and Kodama seem to be a thing now, so good for him.
I'm kinda annoyed Aki started as a cake and will die a cake (that got used and thrown away in the current arc).

Teza
2018-11-22, 00:13
111 wtf i can make a fap with the manga.... I m scare of waht will happen here...

XFire
2018-11-22, 09:59
Damn Espada, calm down :heh:

TheWu8128
2018-11-26, 12:17
Where are the scans for chapter 111 can't seem to find them