PDA

View Full Version : Denpa teki na Kanojo

NeoSam
2008-09-02, 03:54
The shounen(boy's) light novel series Denpa teki na Kanojo by Katayama Kentarou (author) and Yamamoto Yamato (illustrator) will be getting animated.

電波的な彼女
Denpa teki na Kanojo

The light novel series is published under the shounen(boy's) light novel label Super Dash Bunko (http://comipedia.com/light-novel-label/super-dash-bunko).
Currently there are 3 volumes released of this light novel series.

Covers:

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/1599/31419168yr5.jpg http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/6427/31492624ww2.jpg http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3921/31553232gp2.jpg

Author: Katayama Kentarou
Illustrator: Yamamoto Yamato

(Katayama Kentarou and Yamamoto Yamato authored/illustrated the Kure-nai (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kure-nai) light novel series which got animated.)

Super Dash Bunko's page for the light novel series:
http://dash.shueisha.co.jp/-denpa/index.html

Genre: Shounen

Other boy's light novel series from the shounen(boy's) light novel label Super Dash Bunko (http://comipedia.com/light-novel-label/super-dash-bunko) that got animated:

Happy Seven
Ginban Kaleidoscope
Kure-nai
Akikan! (will be getting animated)

Tri-ring
2008-09-02, 06:53
This will be interesting but I wonder how far the animators are willing to go.
The first novel is about a wacko serial killer on a killing spree.

The female protagonist, Ochibana Ame was out there too.:eyespin:
"Denpateki" roughly means "hearing transmission".

Quick start passing out the tinfoil hats. :p

asrielchase
2008-09-02, 07:53
I love the novels, love them more than ~kurenai~
but just to clarify things, the novels aren't finished yet. The writer's just taking a break from it to work on kurenai. The 4th one will probably come out next year.

anyway I hope this will be good! been waiting for a long time for it to get animated!

NeoSam
2008-09-02, 10:17
I saw that the third volume was released in July 2005, so it seemed to me that it was finished >_<

Anyway, thanks asrielchase for the info :) I changed the info in the opening post.

bramabull4316
2008-09-02, 11:12
hmm seems interesting cause its the author of Kure-nai. Can anyone that read the light novels give a quick review of what it is about?

Avisch
2008-09-02, 12:03
I would also like that. ANN said (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-09-01/denpa-teki-na-kanojo-light-novels-get-anime) that the novels crossover with Kure-nai, and the main character is named Juu and his family name is Juuzawa (and I don't a genius is required to see that this hints to him being related to Benika is some way).

Will Brain Base return to animate? Cause that would be great.

asrielchase
2008-09-02, 12:55
Kure-nai and Denpateki kind of shares the same "universe", but since our male protagonist Juuzawa Juu is a normal high school student, the world we see through his eyes is much more normal than the one in Kure-nai.

Characters are related, like Juu and Benika, but the stories are not. And the time is different too, around 10 years forward, from speculation. So I'm dying to see a grown up Murasaki (highly unlikely though)

Tri-ring
2008-09-02, 16:54
Kure-nai and Denpateki kind of shares the same "universe", but since our male protagonist Juuzawa Juu is a normal high school student, the world we see through his eyes is much more normal than the one in Kure-nai.

Characters are related, like Juu and Benika, but the stories are not. And the time is different too, around 10 years forward, from speculation. So I'm dying to see a grown up Murasaki (highly unlikely though)

Yeah, Benika's favorite past time at home, beating the crap out of her son.
Then I guess Juu is the one who is always provoking it so Benika is not the one to blame.:heh:

I read in an interview that Shinkuro may gain a cameo appearance in his future Denpateki novels so I would keep my hopes up for Murasaki as well.

Tri-ring
2008-09-04, 00:44
I went out and bought the latest edition of SQ to see if there were anything new about the animation.
They only had a page that says planning for animation under way. Please wait as new information arrives with advertisement of the pervious novels.
This is so frustrating.
On the bright side they also had a page advertising the release of the Kure-nai vids with a interesting picture of Murasaki wearing a very familar outfit. (Post card for second video)
I wonder if she is declaring rivalry against Kusano.:p

http://www.samidareso.com/release.html

Chaos2Frozen
2008-09-04, 01:06
Off-topic, but this is the first time I saw the Kure-nai DVDs... Love the individual covers for each of them ;) Especially the one with Ginko... If only there was really such a moment... >.>

Now back on topic, so this series is suppose to be 10 years from Kure-nai? Wow, I was under the impression that it is running parallel with it...

Tri-ring
2008-09-05, 07:25
Now back on topic, so this series is suppose to be 10 years from Kure-nai? Wow, I was under the impression that it is running parallel with it...

I was anticipating for asrielchase to answer your call but,, in any case.
As s/he wrote it is just a speculation on how far in the future this series is foward in time compared to Kure-nai only to know that it is staged in the future.

In the third arc, "Shanikusai" it breifly mentions about Benika's child getting sick and how she reacted which is the starting point of the story.
If you read this novel I think it mentions that story(although my memory is not clear) and Benika would never have reacted the way she did if Jyuu was as old as depicted within the "Denpateki na Kanojo" novels.

Tri-ring
2008-09-24, 06:55
For those interested, I have up-loaded the illustration within the novel as an album in my profile.

Follow link to view.
http://forums.animesuki.com/album.php?albumid=876

Tri-ring
2008-12-04, 08:10
Looks as if things are moving ahead.

http://dash.shueisha.co.jp/topics/0812_mediamix.html

It says the animators are Brainbase
and the VAs are;
Juzawa Ju      Hosoya Yoshimasa
Ochibana Ame   Hirohashi Ryo
Ochibana Hikari  Yoshidsumi Kozue
Mitsuki Miya     Kobayashi Yu
Fujisaki Kanako  Sato Akemi

Director        Kannbe Mamoru

Avisch
2008-12-05, 16:50
Thanks Tri-ring

Juu's seiyu is having his first major role.
Character designer is different from Kure-nai. For better or for worse.

reptar300
2008-12-15, 00:18
Are the kure nai and denpa teki na kanjo light novels in english? because i would really love to read them and I dont think ill be able to learn japanese fluently enough to read the books anytime this lifetime

Also even if there not in english does anyone know where i can buy them?

shomazta
2008-12-15, 20:24
You could make use of your "edit" button as not to double post.

As for the answer to your question about where to purchase, here (http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E9%9B%BB%E6%B3%A2%E7%9A%84%E3%81%AA%E5%BD%BC%E5%A 5%B3-%E9%9B%86%E8%8B%B1%E7%A4%BE%E3%82%B9%E3%83%BC%E3%8 3%91%E3%83%BC%E3%83%80%E3%83%83%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A5% E6%96%87%E5%BA%AB-%E7%89%87%E5%B1%B1-%E6%86%B2%E5%A4%AA%E9%83%8E/dp/4086302063/ref=pd_sim_b_2).

Tri-ring
2009-01-09, 19:12
They announced a Promotion vid.

http://dash.shueisha.co.jp/topics/denpadvd.html

Kaoru Chujo
2009-02-05, 14:39
DVD release is scheduled for 1 May, to accompany v3 of Kurenai. But episode1 is already being streamed on Bandai Channel (http://www.b-ch.com/contents/feat_denpa/) (Feb 4-8). You have to register for Bandai Channel, but the streamed file has shown up elsewhere, fortunately.

I really enjoyed the episode. An interesting story. Decent, occasionally excellent, animation. Decent voice-acting. Hirohashi Ryou as the title character was outstanding, I thought. A wonderful version of the slightly dead Nagato Yuki voice. Couldn't imagine a voice much different from her Kyou in Clannad.

Nemo_N
2009-02-05, 17:36
Hirohashi Ryou as the title character was outstanding, I thought. A wonderful version of the slightly dead Nagato Yuki voice. Couldn't imagine a voice much different from her Kyou in Clannad.

Have you watched Bamboo Blade? It's pretty much the voice she used there. I couldn't stop thinking about Tama-chan.

Anyway, awesome episode. Nice plot. Even though it was a little graphic at times, the story demanded it. And Ame is quite cute in her weird way.

Here is hoping for more.

Kaoru Chujo
2009-02-05, 18:01
I only watched a couple of episodes of Bamboo Blade. The rest is on my future watch list.

The graphic stuff was a bit shocking, but worked in context.

The character of Ame, probably partly because of her hair always covering her eyes, reminded me of the manga Mysterious Girlfriend X.

Nemo_N
2009-02-05, 18:42
The character of Ame, probably partly because of her hair always covering her eyes, reminded me of the manga Mysterious Girlfriend X.

Damn, I forgot to mention that. I expect that, when the inevitable (crosses fingers) anime adaptation of MGX is produced, there will be inappropriate comparisons due their "mysterious" similiarities.

This also means that Hirohashi Ryou now might just be out of the VA list for Urabe :p.

DragoonKain3
2009-02-19, 20:56
Holy mackerel. Kure-nai meets Higurashi? I was skeptical at first, but man, it was a blast.

Big recommendation to anyone who likes a mystery, or even Kure-nai in general. Don't ask... just watch it.

Of course, the almost explicit rape scene might be a huge turn off for a lot of people. Just a warning, and a big enough one that it shouldn't warrant spoiler tags. (then again, you see it within a couple of seconds into the show, so technically it isn't a spoiler...)

And speaking of real spoilers...
glad to see the authour made the ending couple to be childhood friends. Them being 'connected' from a previous life? Well, in a way, she wasn't exactly lying. Glad to see how they didn't explicitly said this part as well but instead making you come to this conclusion just by casual observation.

Anyways, makes me much more hopeful for Ginko in Kurenai, since all the things going for her were little things gained by observation. Well, at least it's true in the anime....

velvet
2009-02-20, 11:14
This is excellent stuff.

The rape scene wasn't so explicit in my pov

Ryuugu Rena seriously got me shocked @_@

Now I'm curious =p

So is this a one-shot OVA or will there be another?

Slice of Life
2009-02-20, 11:16
That was nothing like Kurenai. More like a guro harem high school comedy. Some of the girl archetypes could as well have been imported from Zero no Tsukaima or something. Especially the megane tsundere character and the imouto character.

This is of course poison for the atmosphere they're trying to sell. It's like playing MacBeth in chicken costumes.

I also wonder how you rape a girl with your pants on. Or rather, I once again wonder about the logic of censorship: Rape: OK. Gruesome strangulation: OK. Naked male bottom: no way! :rolleyes:

arkxkra
2009-02-20, 11:29
Great, just watched it ;). Although it quite bore in some part for me ;), but overall is nice. Love the girl Ame, she is pretty and cute ^^.
So it is a novel? gonna go to find the novel and read it.

Sterling01
2009-02-20, 21:09
I'm sad it's only 1 OVA... hopes for a continuation.
Also this should be moved to "fansubbed"

monir
2009-02-21, 16:37
I couldn't get into this show for the shallow characterization and the half-assed story. The whole episode felt like a big overreaction. I suppose my expectation is to blame here for my disappointment considering the show was apparently sharing continuity with Kurenai. Other than Ame, I just couldn't find anything interesting. Most of her dialogues were comedy gold in monotonous tone that was mocking the shows premises. Background music is the only highlight of this show.

I give this episode an average rating.

Shiroth
2009-02-23, 12:00
I'm sad it's only 1 OVA... hopes for a continuation.
Also this should be moved to "fansubbed"
For some reason the wiki page is saying three episodes. No idea where the source is from though.

Kimura
2009-03-01, 04:33
Very Higurashi-esque indeed.
The crazy girls harem and all...
Could have been better, this had a huge potential, but everything seems a little "rushed"...
A short series like Kurenai would've been perfect, now I'm just hoping there's more to come...
Anyway the author of the novels seems definitly interesting (not to speak about Brains base, even if...you know, Akikan.), let's pray for some translations of his work.

fedor mma
2009-03-01, 11:14
just finished watching and its pretty awesome,and ame is love.Being adapted from a novel to an ova makes it fell a little rushed,like there is more to be had but they did good with what they have.Now the all important question,will there be ova 2

orion
2009-03-03, 17:34
OVA 2 is already announced (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-03-03/2nd-denpa-teki-na-kanojo-anime-dvd-production-begins).

Just finished watching OVA 1 and loved it. Ame is love.

I also wonder how you rape a girl with your pants on. Or rather, I once again wonder about the logic of censorship: Rape: OK. Gruesome strangulation: OK. Naked male bottom: no way! :rolleyes:

This isn't a hentai or guro title so the scene had to be tasteful. To answer your question, just google for " mens crotchless underwear".

The moment he punched that girl in the face it definitely became a rape scene. The way she was being held down should have been a huge hint. Her moaning after getting hit in the face...

Rape and attempted rape scenes in anime were also handled tastefully before. Gantz and Mezzo DSA TV come to mind.

And speaking of real spoilers...
glad to see the authour made the ending couple to be childhood friends. Them being 'connected' from a previous life? Well, in a way, she wasn't exactly lying. Glad to see how they didn't explicitly said this part as well but instead making you come to this conclusion just by casual observation.

Anyways, makes me much more hopeful for Ginko in Kurenai, since all the things going for her were little things gained by observation. Well, at least it's true in the anime....

But...

The same arguement could be made for Murasaki since Ame resembles Murasaki. Kurenai meets Murasaki (age 7) at a similar age as Ame and Juu (age 5 or 6). Murasaki like Ame won't give up. If anything, Yuno is more of a childhood friend than Ginko IIRC. The "love" square of Murasaki, Kurenai, Ginko and Yuno may not be resolved because just like Shuffle! all those girls have their fans. :heh: Also, at 10 years into the future, Murasaki (age 17) can now do something about it if she still wants to. Kurenai would be 26 yo now.

Avisch
2009-03-19, 18:39
Loved it aswell. Characters were very nicely developed. Presentation was very cool. Overall whats better is that this really just stood on it's own. Music enhanced the atmosphere

Gotta love Ame. Also Kobayashi Yu has one of the best smiling-crazy-carefree voices I've heard in awhile.

I WANT THE 2ND ONE NAO!

(PS. Anyone notice that Juu was drinking the Melon-soda?)

Tri-ring
2009-03-20, 02:37
The second will probably be based on the second volume titled "Orokamo no Sentaku (A fool's choice)".

Juzuwa will hook up with Ochibana Ame and her friends, Kirishima Yukihime(sounds familiar?) and Endo Madoka in search of the "Eye ball snatcher" a psychopath that surgically steals eyeballs from their living victims.

This is probably the most wicked story of Denpateki na Kanojo in terms of plot settings.

SuperKnuckles
2009-03-20, 04:28
The rape angle just came off a silly to me. You can't just tell me a girl automatically becomes a vicious killer and NOT manage to put that anger on the victimizer to begin with..

Also, this show strangely reminded me not of Higurashi, but something like Kara no Kyoukai but without the wild superpowers. People meeting and trusting eachother in just the weirdest ways simply because there's a crazy killer/killers running amok. :heh:

Tri-ring
2009-03-20, 04:38
The rape angle just came off a silly to me. You can't just tell me a girl automatically becomes a vicious killer and NOT manage to put that anger on the victimizer to begin with..

Also, this show strangely reminded me not of Higurashi, but something like Kara no Kyoukai but without the wild superpowers. People meeting and trusting eachother in just the weirdest ways simply because there's a crazy killer/killers running amok. :heh:

There is a thing called the Stockholm syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome) where the abducted hostages, in which the hostage shows signs of loyalty to the hostage-taker, regardless of the danger or risk in which they have been placed.

Miya showed classic symptoms of this mental disorder.

SuperKnuckles
2009-03-20, 04:44
Yeah, I know it can exist, but it's still not very believable to me. Especially if it's an openly violent act. Stockholm syndrome usually happens in a kidnap situation where that kind of open violence doesn't happen, but the kidnapped person gets to sympathize/brainwashed with the situation over time. I guess it came across as a bit too deus-ex-ish, that's all.

Tri-ring
2009-03-20, 04:56
Although I am no psychiatrist nor do I claim so, I believe the unique disorder manifests itself as a defense mechanism where the victim and assailant are isolated or secluded during the event and the victim develops a dependancy towards the assailant so with just enough abuse and relief the victim is conditioned to please the assailant which has nothing to do with sympathize nor brainwash.

SuperKnuckles
2009-03-20, 04:57
I know what you mean. It's just semantics (as in that 'sympathy' obviously being something with more of a deeper meaning in that case). I won't argue over it.

Westlo
2009-03-29, 17:37
Watched this the other day and I really liked it, was surprised by quite a few scenes but overall it was a good watch, looking forward too watching it again in better quality as well as the second OVA whenever that comes out.

serenade_beta
2009-05-03, 21:28
Found it on nicodou and decided to watch it...

For a 40 minute OVA, it was pretty interesting.
I guess the my main complaint on the episode would be the last part with the crazy girl. Her insanity after getting raped was just... :twitch: But that wasn't the main thing. The smooth movement, the girl getting up right away after being stunned and being stunned again in smooth animation, that scene where the girl stabs him and causes an incredible amount of blood and then he comforts her and she starts crying... added up to making me laugh. Don't know why... Just burst out laughing at the thing...
Still... that girl acted like one of the girls from those "Loved by a yandere and can't sleep" or whatever CDs + X from Neuro...:heh:

Also, despite the title calling Kanojo/Ame denpa, Ame was not the only one denpa... And not only that, but most of the denpas in this anime simply bordered around crazy, not just weird...

The art style was thankfully easier to handle than what-wasit... Kurenai, but still felt.... odd in places. OK though...

EDIT:

Phew... Re-watched the last scene against the crazy girl for the third time... Really is an entertaining scene, in various ways...
Kichigai teki na Kanojo <--new title

MeoTwister5
2009-05-15, 10:14
Finally found a freaking subbed version of this after like so damn long. I'm still processing it right now, but so far I have 3 conclusions.

1. Dayum.
2. Higurashu + Welcome to the NHK + specific episode from SHnY who shall not be named.
3. Pretty nutjob psycho schoolgirl stalkers with tazers are fucking awesome.

Malkuth
2009-05-16, 02:20
I saw the OVA last night ...

Well, except for the exposition and flow near the end, it was excellent. My problem with the whole revelation scene, is that it felt rushed, overly animated and exaggerated.

Anyway, I am always glad to hear Rakka's voice again :heh: and her character was very interesting.

In general, the plot reminded me a lot of the first episode of Shigofumi, both in theme and story flow. The atmosphere on the other hand was in line with Elfen Lied (which is hardly a surprise since they share the director) and Interlude on the play with the absurd.

qmeister
2009-05-16, 15:07
That was some twisted stuff right there. I hope she keeps that taser in future episodes.

Anyway, I am always glad to hear Rakka's voice again :heh: and her character was very interesting.
I can't help but like most of the roles I've seen her in. <3

thundrakkon
2009-05-16, 18:42
I just saw this, and I just have to say, "wow." I came in with no expectations, and I came out quite intrigued. The atmosphere of this show was deep and emotionally involving. I guess in a way, if felt like a sense of realism to it. Yes, real people can be really unique and weird in many ways.

I just love Ame, but I really wanted to know why she had this sudden revelation. Her sister was about to tell us, but now, we'll just have to wait until the next OVA. I hope she does not end up telling us in her death bed or something like that. I would really hate that.

serenade_beta
2009-05-16, 19:53
I guess in a way, if felt like a sense of realism to it. Yes, real people can be really unique and weird in many ways.

('A`)...I'm pretty sure fictional people are about a hundred times more unique and weird though, because they aren't bound by any laws of anything.

orion
2009-05-16, 21:47
What was the purpose of the different colored kanji? Did it spell anything in particular when put together?

qmeister
2009-05-17, 01:15
What was the purpose of the different colored kanji? Did it spell anything in particular when put together?
Don't read anything by it. Brains Base did the same thing with Kurenai (by the same author) and Baccano!.

SeijiSensei
2009-05-17, 18:16
Does anyone have an idea why both these works are set in high schools, other than the obvious marketing reasons? Both Kure-nai and this show deal with serious, adult themes, but they don't have adult protagonists. Personally if I were looking for another story set in the Kure-nai world, I'd be much more interested in Benika's story, particularly around the time of the kidnapping rescue we see in Kure-nai.

I'm leaning more toward monir's point-of-view about this. It seemed more designed to shock than to tell a convincing story.

Fevvers
2009-05-17, 18:31
Eh, I was expecting similar aesthetics as Kurenai's. The character designs here look like any other generic [insert anime] crap. It wouldn't have mattered much if the pacing wasn't rushed as hell and the melodrama parts weren't terribly unconvincing.

orion
2009-05-17, 19:21
Does anyone have an idea why both these works are set in high schools, other than the obvious marketing reasons? Both Kure-nai and this show deal with serious, adult themes, but they don't have adult protagonists. Personally if I were looking for another story set in the Kure-nai world, I'd be much more interested in Benika's story, particularly around the time of the kidnapping rescue we see in Kure-nai.

I'm leaning more toward monir's point-of-view about this. It seemed more designed to shock than to tell a convincing story.

Why would you need an adult protag when the buying audience wants a younger protag? Besides, it's more convincing and engaging when the one in peril is not an adult.

In this title, we have a coo-dere (http://bangin.wordpress.com/2007/10/01/%E3%82%AF%E3%83%BC%E3%83%87%E3%83%ACcoo-dere/) protag, yandere (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yandere) and tsundere male protag in one episode. You don't see that too often.

The story was convincing to me. Serial killing titles are a breath of fresh air to me. A component of these titles is the shock value like with any horror story.

This is entertainment. Not mean to be given critical analysis like you would Shakespeare.

Sterling01
2009-05-17, 20:18
In this title, we have a coo-dere (http://bangin.wordpress.com/2007/10/01/%E3%82%AF%E3%83%BC%E3%83%87%E3%83%ACcoo-dere/) protag
It's Kuudere not coo-dere

orion
2009-05-17, 21:50
It's Kuudere not coo-dere

Don't blame me. The site spelled it that way. :heh:

qmeister
2009-05-18, 01:53
This is entertainment. Not mean to be given critical analysis like you would Shakespeare.
While I agree that Denpa is not something to be looked at too closely, we must remember that Shakespeare was plain old entertainment for the masses in his day.

appleseed86
2009-05-18, 06:42
what does Denpa teki mean? maybe its in the thread and i didnt see it, but please do explain.

cowteats
2009-05-18, 07:31
what does Denpa teki mean? maybe its in the thread and i didnt see it, but please do explain.

The title means "loopy girl" or somewhere along that line. Denpa teki doesn't mean electromagnetic, btw. Some websites got that wrong.

Kaoru Chujo
2009-05-18, 18:27
I watched this again now that better video is out, and also subbed. Yes, the story is reaching a bit here and there, but I still enjoyed it a lot. That scene where she is walking across the end of the alleyway dragging the bloody bat is great, a combination of scary, creepy and amusing. I was so happy for her when the guy finally gave in and became hers.

Ashlotte
2009-05-18, 20:52
Well Ame's seiyuu completely ruined this one for me...Not entirely her fault, but like was mentioned earlier all I kept picturing was freaking Bamboo Blade/Tama-chan every time she opened her mouth and it just completely destroyed any suspenseful atmosphere the show had going...bah.

I'm a sucker for these types of stories so on a whole I really enjoyed it, but then a good chunk of my enjoyment comes from the atmosphere and yea...Damn you Tama-chan. *shakes fist* :heh:

Meh hopefully I can get over it by the time the second one rolls around...

orion
2009-05-18, 21:49
While I agree that Denpa is not something to be looked at too closely, we must remember that Shakespeare was plain old entertainment for the masses in his day.

Ya got me. :heh:

But I'm talking about the here and now. It's not likely this is going to get the scrutiny that Shakespere gets.

0utf0xZer0
2009-05-24, 13:54
I get the impression that this story suffered some adaptation decay from being crammed into 40 minutes, but I still love this OVA. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I found the characters really memorable. I'd be shocked if Ame doesn't end up being one of my favourite characters of 2009.

I am curious as to whether the novel explained what happened to Miya. I know it's implied that she feels remorse at the end, but I'm wondering if they let her go or turned her in.

orion
2009-05-24, 18:31
I get the impression that this story suffered some adaptation decay from being crammed into 40 minutes, but I still love this OVA. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I found the characters really memorable. I'd be shocked if Ame doesn't end up being one of my favourite characters of 2009.

I am curious as to whether the novel explained what happened to Miya. I know it's implied that she feels remorse at the end, but I'm wondering if they let her go or turned her in.

There's no way he can say that he accidentally stabbed himself after breaking his leg. Police had to have been called in.

Flo
2009-06-22, 04:55
Juu is actually Satoko's brother Satoshi.

In order to escape certain death, Satoshi fled Hinamizawa but was given chase and ended up falling off a cliff.

When Satoshi came to, he lost his memories and was found by Juuzawa Benika saw resemblance to Benika's missing/dead son in Satoshi, later adopts him as her son 'Juuzawa Juu'.

However because Benika's too busy doing other shit in Kure-nai, Juu was always home alone and eventually becoming an delinquent in his school he's currently studying at.

Meanwhile Ryuugu Reina/Rena, who happens to left Hinamizawa as well, takes up the name Satsuki Miya and studies in the same school as Juu.

With that Denpa OVA 1 started.

The flashback of Young Juu and Young Ame is just a dream, it never happened. :D

Skyfall
2009-07-09, 10:45
I pretty much picked this OVA up at random for no other reason than the fact the image over at AniDB seemed appealing to me, and i am rather glad i did. While it was certainly somewhat out there in terms of characterization (especially the finale) i found the darker aspect of it interesting, and i have always been fond of the "is she, or isn't she" aspect, with Juu (And me) trying to figure if Ame really was the culprit or not. Despite the aforementioned characterization i found it fittingly gritty and i liked the darker mood they established, so this was definitely a fine OVA to watch. I also see some references to Kurenai floating around ... that is a show i never got around to watching, because the premise didn't seem anything special to me (Student assigned as a bodyguard to a little girl ? Ya .. ), but if the mood and atmosphere of Kurenai is anything like this, i suppose it deserves some bumping up on my priority list :)

Ichiban Hayai
2009-07-09, 15:16
On the subject of Kurenai I'm not sure someone who liked that show will like this one too & vice versa. I really liked both of the them (perhaps Kurenai more) but I don't find them that similar.

Denpa teki na Kanojo tries to be realistic. It is highly impossible that such a situation would happen in real life, but the show tries to convince you otherwise. Apart from that it is a dark show with detective, mystery and light horror elements.

Kurenai also tries to be realistic. Despite some highly fictional elements that play minor role in most of the story, you could also say that this could happen in real life somewhere out there.
It also has some artistic similarities. But that's where common ground ends. Kurenai does not have dark, mystery or horror elements. The characters are also less bizarre and unique.

Just my 2 cents on this.

Malkuth
2009-07-09, 15:23
On the subject of Kurenai I'm not sure someone who liked that show will like this one too & vice versa. I really liked both of the them but I don't find them that similar.

I liked this OVA, while found Kurenai mediocre at best. In addition, I really wanted to beat the crap out of that spoiled brat :frustrated:

Any news about the release date of the 2nd OVA? I remember that three were planned.

Deathkillz
2009-07-10, 11:58
I loved Kurenai so what the hell took me so long from watching this? Crap!

But having done so I can confirm that this OVA is nothing similar to Kurenai but still terribly great in its own right.

OVA 1
Whereas Kurenai has a more "slice of life" this story came across to me as a more "mystery/suspense" genre.

Seeing it was a 40minute long ova there was plenty of time for them to show us a lot of the story but it was so surprisingly when the entire episode seemingly vanished as quickly as it started because of the way it just captures the viewer's attention.

I quite liked how simple the episode was at developing the characters. Juu is a simply delinquent with a soft side, Ame turned out to be the creepy but misunderstood girl and the school friend who you thought is normal turned out to be batshit insane.

All the pieces of the episode fell together very nicely and thus made it a very enjoyable experience. You can never be quite sure who was good or who was bad here which was Juu's dilemma but when the truth revealed itself it was great to see him treating Ame to what she deserved.

I can't wait for the second OVA to come out as well as GIVE ME THE FULL ED DAMNIT! :D

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1324/snapshot20090710172044.jpg (http://img4.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snapshot20090710172044.jpg)

Hahaha!

I liked this OVA, while found Kurenai mediocre at best. In addition, I really wanted to beat the crap out of that spoiled brat :frustrated:

Spoiled brat? You must have missed the point of the series then as it was all focused on character development and Murasaki sure changed a lot through the process of it :rolleyes:

Malkuth
2009-07-10, 15:51
Spoiled brat? You must have missed the point of the series then as it was all focused on character development and Murasaki sure changed a lot through the process of it :rolleyes:

Nope, in the case of Murasaki, I found it forced, out-of-character and bottom-line is that she remained both spoiled and a brat :p

As for that bloke, what character development? The rest of the cast were caricatures anyway.

In comparison, the characterization in just one episode in this OVA was fairly better, though I still have some reservations about the ending "trying too hard".

Deathkillz
2009-07-11, 12:23
While I can't say that much for shinkurou since he hasn't done much growing at all, Murasaki has on the other hand shown noticeable changes to her character and if you found that forced or OOC then the bottom line is that you just never saw her growing at all being blinded by hate towards her initial shown impression. Remember she is only 9 and a "spoilt" princess so realistically the chance happens over a gradual process (and not overnight). I wouldn't count on you to pay attention to the small details but it is those small details which distinguishes the old Murasaki from the new one. One scene in particular that sticks out to me was when she cleaned up her own spillage later on instead of yell at Shinkurou to do it like a spoilt princess. This is because during the process of living with Shinkurou she has learnt a life lesson to take responsibility for her own mistakes.

And I can go along for ages but this frankly isn't the place for it :rolleyes:

Iggy_Pop
2009-07-15, 04:07
Looks like the second OVA is gonna be base on the third novel, Kofuku Game. Anyone who read the novel care to tell me what the story is about?

Statonxyb
2009-12-03, 06:31
Second OVA lands in a few days.

Just watched the first and it was amazing. I loved Kurenai and was wondering when we'd get something else from the same guy in animated form.

Heliopolis
2009-12-03, 11:28
Here's the trailer/teaser for 2nd OVA of Denpa teki na kanojo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCSvs8Vwoyc

KillerYandere
2009-12-06, 07:33
Denpa Teki OVA 2 is out now. I just finished watching it. It was even better than the first OVA. A lot happens.

orion
2009-12-06, 13:37
Yet again Ame remains cool under pressure. My hero! :heh:

Waiting for the subs to understand it all. Definitely better than the first one.

Flo
2009-12-07, 06:32
Yet again Ame remains cool under pressure. My hero! :heh:

Waiting for the subs to understand it all. Definitely better than the first one.

Except when something happened to Juuzawa Juu.:heh:

orion
2009-12-07, 08:00
Except when something happened to Juuzawa Juu.:heh:

I was yelling "Oh shit!" at the screen when that happened. Ame's reaction is understandable.

Westlo
2009-12-07, 09:02
Here's the trailer/teaser for 2nd OVA of Denpa teki na kanojo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCSvs8Vwoyc

Nice trailer, really looking forward to seeing the second ova now, especially with the few raw watchers saying it's better the first ova which I really enjoyed.. I might go watch the dvd version of that since I only saw the streamed one.

Azuma Denton
2009-12-07, 10:59
Will this 2nd OVA come out as DVD or will they stream it on internet first?

orion
2009-12-07, 21:00
Clueless but the DVD raws are out now.

xKeen
2009-12-11, 07:41
Just watched the first episode of this,feeling very weird myself.This anime reminds me of,rena ryuuguu and shidou mariya.Ouch to 4 broken limbs.

Thoguht
2009-12-13, 05:08
Subs are out.

Animation quality is pretty poor, but the storyline is excellent and very thought provoking. I need to go and re-evaluate my life now...

Tri-ring
2009-12-13, 08:26
Although the second novel was the best and most provocative, I don't think it will be animated because of the basic theme.( Probably why they skipped it and made the 3rd story)
It's cold and utterly depressing, fleshing out true human nature at it's core.
"Kofuku Game" was much more "light hearted" when compared to "Orokamono no Sentaku(A fool's choice)"

orion
2009-12-13, 10:59
Although the second novel was the best and most provocative, I don't think it will be animated because of the basic theme.( Probably why they skipped it and made the 3rd story)
"Kofuku Game" was much more "light hearted" when compared to "Orokamono no Sentaku(A fool's choice)"

How many novels are there? Isn't this a 3 pt OVA? It's a shame that the second novel didn't get animated. That sounded interesting.

DragoonKain3
2009-12-13, 12:52
Awww.... Ame is still as adorable as ever. Especially with that maid outfit. I can only imagine her taking orders, not much unlike 'Yuki' in Konata's part time job in Lucky Star hehehehe. And when she 'calmed' down Juu... man, connected from a previous life indeed. ^_^

That said, it was Yukihime that caught my eyes. Stupid Otome putting ponytail + oversized bow up in my moe list lol.

Statonxyb
2009-12-13, 15:34
This stuff keeps getting better.

Waiting for the 3rd OAV will be hard. :(

Shiroth
2009-12-13, 16:14
Is there anywhere to read a summary of sorts of the second novel? You have me very interested in it, and it's a shame the chances of seeing it animated are low.

prototype_sky
2009-12-13, 18:20
Man this guy is attracting the wrong kind of girls :twitch:

Avisch
2009-12-13, 23:20
This show does not disappoint. I must have more.
Protagonist is one who finally does something. Cool and/or psychotic characters.
Madoka and Yukihime make a fine addition to cast :)

Crimson7
2009-12-14, 06:12
Great OVA! Loved it since I saw the 1st ep.
Does anyone have the titles for the ED of ep 1 and 2? Can't seem to find them anywhere...

MeoTwister5
2009-12-14, 08:12
Can't seem to find the subs even on Nyaa. I won't ask for a link but can anyone tell me the sub group instead?

Shiroth
2009-12-14, 08:15
Can't seem to find the subs even on Nyaa. I won't ask for a link but can anyone tell me the sub group instead?
Ayako subs.

Tri-ring
2009-12-14, 09:18
Is there anywhere to read a summary of sorts of the second novel? You have me very interested in it, and it's a shame the chances of seeing it animated are low.
Don't really know since I read the novel raw, BUT....

The story is about the "Scoop out phantom(Eguri-ma)" mentioned in vol.1 where the culprit surgically removes eyeballs from the young.
Juzawa befriends one of these victims and through impulse decides to find the one(s) responsible with the help of Ame and friends leading him into the dark and cold side of humans at their core at the end. He finds out that the parents of the victims financially devastated are conspirators selling off their children for monetary gain and then acts as victims of a crime.

Shiroth
2009-12-14, 09:22

The story is about the "Scoop out phantom(Eguri-ma)" mentioned in vol.1 where the culprit surgically removes eyeballs from the young.
Juzawa befriends one of these victims and through impulse decides to find the one(s) responsible with the help of Ame and friends leading him into the dark and cold side of humans at their core at the end. He finds out that the parents of the victims financially devastated are conspirators selling off their children for monetary gain and then acts as victims of a crime.
Wow, just wow that's heavy. No wonder the chances of seeing the second novel animated are next to none.

Thanks for the summary.

Zetsubo
2009-12-14, 09:25
She's weird... in a cute way.http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/characters/7/53723.jpg

fict_ticious
2009-12-14, 16:43
- Crazy Bitches: The Animation. I mean, damn...
- Fell in love with the student council prez's design and character only to have that love pushed in front of a moving vehicle and crushed into a cement wall.
- I really like Juu's character. He isn't a complete tosser like some protags and has his wits about him.
- We get more of Ame's actual face this time around, though the hair over eyes is stil dominant especially in those random-shots-on-the-streets-while-going-over-details-of-the-case bits.
- It seems the couple draws/keeps some bad company or are just kinda meddlesome.
- Little sis's curiosity gets the best of her, she falls for her sister's man, and it looked like she was actually afraid of Ame in that last bit.

orion
2009-12-14, 21:17
- Little sis's curiosity gets the best of her, she falls for her sister's man, and it looked like she was actually afraid of Ame in that last bit.

That part made me wonder what Ame is like when she actually gets mad. :heh:

Wow, what a nice dark novel. Sad that it's not being animated.

Azuma Denton
2009-12-14, 22:45
Hmm still as gloomy as the first dvd...
Man, that Juuzawa Juu can build his harem around those freaky yandere type girl... :heh:

SuperKnuckles
2009-12-15, 03:10
Though the story just didn't make too much sense by itself, man the atmosphere was TENSE. Just like the first OVA episode. Just nails to the walls intense.

Again, the plot in itself doesn't make a terrible amount of sense. So a few girls just go totally psycho and yet the lead feels it's alright to let things slide for a little while and just let his guardian knight girl do some soul-crushing talk to finish the job. :heh:

I swear, all these cases would be solved with a swift punch to the face without all these scary yandere freakouts. Both episodes.

Anyway, a shame that the original source would only allow it up to 3 episodes max. Shame, but I'm sorta scared watching too many episodes of these. heh

fict_ticious
2009-12-15, 04:46
So a few girls just go totally psycho and yet the lead feels it's alright to let things slide for a little while and just let his guardian knight girl do some soul-crushing talk to finish the job. :heh:

I swear, all these cases would be solved with a swift punch to the face without all these scary yandere freakouts. Both episodes.
Juu's probably afraid of having to choke a bitch because it'll get him into all sorts of trouble. Besides, having a capable girlfriend while one is stuck taking on a knife to the gut, burning buildings, and cars is a fair deal.

I lol'd hard when he poured his drink on Hikaru throwing a fit.

MeoTwister5
2009-12-15, 08:51
Despite the fact that the entire situation is completely fucked up to begin with, Ame's explanation at the end is rather... logically and philosophically sound. I won't argue much about the concept of limited happiness as a resource as I wrote a similar paper along the same thought lines back in college, but I do see where the entire cause of the plot comes from. I don't exactly believe that such emotions (the paper I wrote is on another different but related emotion) are are limited for everyone to struggle attaining, but neither do I believe that such things are that easy and simple to achieve.

As for the ending... well that is something I WHOLEHEARTEDLY believe in. Twisted bitter irony on a bloody, mangled silver plate. Karma's a bitch but she comes up when she has to. The ending is again a bitter counterpoint to the entire idea of happiness points. Gaining happiness by stealing it against gaining happiness by giving it. Thievery versus the Golden Rule.

We all know which one wins in the end.:D

-Sho-
2009-12-15, 09:46
How i can missed this one ! After Kara no Kyoukai ! Here another great anime !
Good quality . Nice characters , sometimes characters's face are weirds lol
Well , just watch oav 1 :

10:13 i laughed XD if it was me , i'll be afraid too !
Amazing punched , Juu lost a tooth and throw it lulz it was hilarious . But when he laughed he had all her teeths though .
Wow , Miya's part was sick XD I though Ame got some power oh well ! Taser ftw !!
Ow , and Juu's true hair color is brown .

Kure-nai volume pub spotted .

Well , go for Oav 2 .

Edit :

Just watch oav 2 !
Another sick story but true .
It was brillant ! Excellent .
Drama plot was superb .
Ame maid and blush ftw .
Yukihime is hilarious and amazing :)
Madako is still a vrigin but she said she hate men ^^ i laughed when she said "Rolling my eyes"
Hikari's brillant ^^
Ok something that's i found weird .
Instead to knock the house , they should have hit Ayase and take the key .
And omg , close the door at Ayase's house !!
Good end .. Ow , Juu was lucky but yeah , the first driver's reflex is to turn the steering-wheel so .
Hopefully , japan's school system isn't worldwide cuz it suxx .

Ow , and I laughed at Ame's jokes "The first two letters of the alphabet" well she said in Oav 1 that she's bad at jokes ! It's confirmed XD

No date for the 3rd oav yet ?

Echoes
2009-12-20, 20:53
"We have a bond so strong that not even Excalibur could sever it."

I really like that line.

Amazing episode; this is the reason I watch anime. A fantastic cast of characters, all the way from the lead pair to the smallest supporting cast and an atmosphere that's incredibly engrossing.

Westlo
2009-12-21, 06:24
Episode 2 was great, one of the best shows this year, is a third OVA for this confirmed btw?

Malkuth
2010-01-06, 21:28
Just got around to finally watch the second OVA ... amazing!

On the philosophical part though, they tended to equate directly making someone unhappy, hence gaining happiness (e.g. stealing a boyfriend), with the correlation that whenever you make someone sad (e.g. burning your schoolmates alive), causally you must become happier (correlation doesn't imply causality). But in any case, the characters believing that were far beyond rational thinking :heh:

A couple of other things ...

First, why is this OVA on older series? it is still running!

The other is that OVAs and movies tend to outshine TV shows, Rakkyo, Hellsing, this one. Especially when one compares them to their TV equivalents (Tsukihime/Fate, Hellsing (TV), Kurenai), they killed the plot (for the first two) and for all the production was at best mediocre. Also it makes much more sense financially to save money from paying for the broadcasting and gives much more freedom to the artists, not to mention all the possibilities for cheap and fast distribution, but the later is probably years away from realization.

LusterFlare
2010-01-15, 06:07
Loved both OVA's but the second was definitely better.

I think it really shows how fragile the human mind is. When traumatic shit happens, one's way of thinking can really get twisted.

*impatiently waits for the next addition*

winkel
2010-01-16, 00:58
Definitely enjoyed the second OVA. Glad it was finally released.

Used Can
2010-01-16, 01:07
I enjoyed both OVAs differently. I enjoyed the mystery in the first one, since you didn't really know who was the mastermind behind the murders until the very end. In fact, this one is quite fun to re-watch, because you can see all the hints toward the real mastermind throughout the entire episode. The second was straightforward about the culprit, but in this one the characters already had been introduced and had established relationships, making them much more likeable.

I'd really like if the following OVA wasn't the last one. I'd be happy with 5 OVAs, but well, that's how it is.

Westlo
2010-01-18, 08:48
If they skipped the second one... is there still going to be a 3rd OVA? There's only 3 novels in the series isn't there? Katayama Kentarou needs to stop writing Kure-nai and get back to this. Guess he's focusing on the Kure-nai manga atm...

serenade_beta
2010-01-27, 01:36
Finally found some time and interest to watch the 2nd OVA...

Phew... (;-_-)
The end was devastating. To see the student pres. end up like that... Tohoho...
Very interesting, but the characters are as insane as ever. Be that trigger... dagger(?)-happy Yukihime or the boss of the episode... And... The protagonist (Juu-sama) doesn't really get to do much, huh... :heh: Pushed here, pushed there, suffers this, suffers that...

Sylphic
2010-02-07, 02:02
Does anyone know when the 3rd OVA will actually come?

This series is truly epic, and more of Yukihime is needed :P, but for now.. 3rd OVA ahhhh.

Shiroth
2010-02-07, 04:45
Does anyone know when the 3rd OVA will actually come?
I don't believe we have a release date yet.

vorpal83
2010-04-28, 23:39
Just read through the Kurenai novels, and suddenly realized that Ame and her wacky friends are all from the 13 families. Which explains a lot. Yukihime's mad cutting skills made a lot more sense when I found out she was related to Kirishima Kirihiko.

If Ame's in the 13 families, it would make sense that she's hiding a lot more than she's showing.

Serated
2010-09-28, 14:02
So it's been about a year since the second OVA was released. Anyone have any idea on the status of this ?..

Kanon
2010-09-28, 15:36
Nope, no idea. My guess is that they've dropped Denpateki for the time being. The Denpateki OVAs were bundled with the Kure-nai manga, however, they're now releasing Kure-nai OVAs instead (the second and last ep will come out in december). So don't expect the 3rd Denpa OVA until next year.

... Hope I'm wrong.

DragoZERO
2010-12-11, 17:53
Finally watched this one and it was really good. Quite disturbing. I ask myself why I watch stuff like this sometimes, lol.

The first one was great. I totally did not see that girl being one of the murderers. I didn't think it was Ame, but I could not want to dismiss that possibility (thank you Nasu).

The second was twisted too. I knew the mother was dead, lol. But... what happened to him in the end? I was expecting a short epilogue after the credits but got nothing...??

Just read through the Kurenai novels, and suddenly realized that Ame and her wacky friends are all from the 13 families. Which explains a lot. Yukihime's mad cutting skills made a lot more sense when I found out she was related to Kirishima Kirihiko.

If Ame's in the 13 families, it would make sense that she's hiding a lot more than she's showing.Ohh, I was wondering how the two series were connected. :heh:

Haak
2011-01-24, 15:00
I decided to watch this today. Pretty good stuff. It's kinda sweet how Ochibana actually turns out to be roleplaying (unless she's actually deluded in which case she really needs to see a therapist).

Asssuming each OVA covered one 'case', does anyone know how many 'cases' there are in the novel it's adapted from?

DragoZERO
2011-01-24, 15:32
I decided to watch this today. Pretty good stuff. It's kinda sweet how Ochibana actually turns out to be roleplaying (unless she's actually deluded in which case she really needs to see a therapist).I think it's half and half. :heh:

Asssuming each OVA covered one 'case', does anyone know how many 'cases' there are in the novel it's adapted from?There has to be more with the way it ended... there has to!! :upset:

Used Can
2011-01-24, 21:27
As of now, there are no more cases. The LNs have 3 volumes. The 1st OVA covered the 1st volume and the 2nd OVA covered the 3rd one. I've read the 2nd volume isn't that good; so, they decided not to animate it.

Therefore, until the author decides to write more DtnK, there'll be no more OVAs.

DragoZERO
2011-01-24, 22:03
Whaaaa.... that is... crushing. :(

tyciol
2011-06-01, 10:11
So I saw something about some GAR bro named Juuzawa on some image board and thought I would come check him out. Is he worth it?
http://images.4chan.org/a/src/1306940135950.jpg

Too bad only 2 OVAs. I hope they manage to cram a lot in.

Used Can
2011-06-01, 16:08
Haha... I saw that thread earlier. It's definitely overestimating Jū, since he's got to rely a lot on Ame and the other girls, but it's still a very fun read and Jū is as awesome as it gets.

"only power upgrade he needs is a Rolex"
I love that line.

tyciol
2011-06-16, 09:44
I just finished watching these two now. WOW. I got a little confused about what happened during the last moments of OVA 2, I wonder if anyone can PM me how the switcheroo occurred while avoiding spoilers on the thread. This series definitely has a lot of surprises.

I was reading and apparently these OVAs were included with volumes of the anime Kure-nai here http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/1192.html

By the same author so I plan to see this series now too. If it's anywhere near the quality of Denpa I will be pleased.

Flower
2012-01-23, 22:41
Wow ... that was a strong set of two OVAs. Strong in the sense of getting across a strong message that really makes one think.

BTW - the BD releases of this are astonishingly clear and sharp. An excellent job was done on them!

Lord of Fire
2012-01-27, 13:24
This was quite a pleasant surprise for me. I saw a torrent for the subbed BD releases, read the synopsis for the show, and two OVAs later, I find this to be one of the shortest, yet best anime out there.

I found Ame, despite her long bangs (or maybe because of them) seriously sexy, especially when we got a glimpse of her eyes between them. I still find the whole "connected by a bond from a former life" a bit stalkerish (not to mention a bit strange), but she showed that she truly cares for the guy, and he tolerates her, so I guess they go well together.

hoshino_crimsonwings
2012-02-05, 12:41
What an excellent show this was, quite surprised it's rather low in profile. Especially loved the second OVA, Mai Nakahara was extremely cute yet again.