PDA

View Full Version : fansub reviews

wsheit
2003-11-12, 21:49
does anyone know of a site that has a decent listing of FANSUB reviews. I would think somethink like this would exist, but i havent found one.

Sabin
2003-11-12, 22:10
www.animenfo.com has user reviews where people can go and post their own reviews but it ends up with people giving something all 10s or all 1s. You rewally have to look for a decent review on there.

Hayamaneko
2003-11-13, 01:34
what about a website that reviews the quility of the fansub release rather then the actual show? i know thiers a site that does a fansub group comparison for certain shows, but i dont remeber the URL :heh:

Daeluin
2003-11-13, 01:57
you may be thinking of wtf-anime, who do not exist any longer

FinFangFoom
2003-11-13, 04:45
Does anyone know why there is'nt a dedicated forum area on Animesuki for posting reviews? I would seem like a good idea....

bayoab
2003-11-13, 05:39
Does anyone know why there is'nt a dedicated forum area on Animesuki for posting reviews? I would seem like a good idea....

can we say "asking for flame wars"... which the mods dont seem to like...

FinFangFoom
2003-11-13, 05:49
Hmmmmm..... Maybe they could make a special moderator for the forum who would close any post that starts to deteriorate into a flame war. It would be sweet to have a good source of anime reviews, after a while you would learn who's opinioins you ccould trust and would probably find some real gems you would have otherwise missed. Your probably right though, I've been thinking about it for a while and havnt been able to come up with system to avoid flame wars....

Lambda
2003-11-13, 08:39
Why should series reviews attract more flaming than series discussion?

xris
2003-11-13, 08:52
Why should series reviews attract more flaming than series discussion?

You jest!

A review is considered by many to be a 'statement', an absolute fact, not just a matter of opinion. While it shouldn't attract more flames, you can be sure that as soon as someone writes a bad or mediocre review, you will get some fan wading with flames. Actually, it doesn't matter what the reviewer think of the show, someone will disagree and so the chances of flames are that much higher.

The series discussion tends to be visited by fans so they have more of a similar mindset on the subject. But for reviews to be worthwhile you need to have different points of view, and that's when the problems start.

But I like the idea of a Review Forum. It would need tight rules to work but it might be worthwhile. I shall discuss it with the other Mods.

One question. Who would be willing to write reviews (and decent reviews at that). If there enough people around in these forums willing to write reviews then it would be worthwhile.

Lucky
2003-11-13, 10:02
The only forum I know of where fansubs review are written is located here (http://www.anime-planet.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=25&sid=8aebc7feb052e548c9a398ffdab18b36) (that's the place where quite a few of wtf founders are as well).

Shii
2003-11-13, 10:35
I would do comparisons, but I don't like to waste bandwidth downloading multiple versions of the same episode. Even if the subtitles are a little off, I can always give a group credit for trying hard (unless if it's AJ. I wouldn't download their stuff in the first place).

Lambda
2003-11-13, 12:47
Well, at the forums with reviews I've been at, you don't seem to get inordinate amounts of flaming. But then that's only about two of them, so it's hardly a broad spectrum of experience.

My reviewing ability is limited strictly to the quality of the anime. I don't know any significant Japanese with which to judge translation, and I don't pay much attention to audio/visual quality in the encode.

NenMaster
2003-11-13, 16:14
try http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ no reviews but there some ratings

sothis
2003-11-29, 21:23
as lucky already mentioned, check out this:

http://www.anime-planet.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=25

this section of the forum is dedicated to exactly what you are talking about... discussion of "which fansub is the best to download". you can discuss which version you like, and/or read opinions from other people. there are several very dedicated reviewers who give detailed responses, as well.

check the sticky thread for the alphabetical list of series discussed, or just look through the forum ^_^

Wandering A.I.
2003-11-29, 23:20
Wow, reading that review forum I'm surprised so many people actually watch multiples of each ep. Waaaay too much effort for me to do.

I still wish animesuki had a thread attached to each torrent (and clickable directly from the torrent page) like some of the larger torrent sites do. That would be a great place for quick user comments/opinions about a particular group's work which is all I would expect from most people.

sothis
2003-11-30, 00:44
i know what you mean, i don't watch all the versions either ;)

however, i think a few good posts like the ones you are referring to, are essential when it comes to getting a good idea of what the differences are. its nice to hear a bunch of random people say "i like the subtitles" etc, but its also nice to see a side by side comparison which really tackles the important aspects. luckily, the forum has a few people that always seem to do this, which is valuable as far as im concerned :D

plus in these threads, you can also just do a quick response and say what you think about the version you downloaded.

i know it isnt as convenient as a link right next to the torrent, but i think the forum i mentioned is quite a nice alternative ^_^ especially for new series.

FinFangFoom
2003-11-30, 04:16
But I like the idea of a Review Forum. It would need tight rules to work but it might be worthwhile. I shall discuss it with the other Mods.

One question. Who would be willing to write reviews (and decent reviews at that). If there enough people around in these forums willing to write reviews then it would be worthwhile.

Would it really have to be only certain people? Why not leave it open to everyone, that way over time you can figure out for yourself which reviewer seems to think most like you? Or if you prefer leave it open for a while then after a month or two then only allow the best of the reviewers to continue. You could even make it so that nobody would be able to reply to threads so that it doesnt become a flamewar since reviews don't really need to be open to discussion, and make it known that anyone who creates a new thread simply to respond to another or target another persons review will be banned for a certain amount of time or permanetly if repeat offenders.

You could also make a rule that no reviews for any weekly series until they have aired more than say 10 episodes or so to prevent people from slamming a series before it has a chance to establish itself and eliminate the need for people to re-review a series. Also you could have the moderators delete post of reviews of a series that has been reviewed more than say 5 times (cause we all know Naruto will get at least 50 the first week) unless they offer a really unique perspective. Or you could have a special moderator that you have to submitt the review too who will then decide if it will be posted. They can decide if they want to penalize for bad spelling or grammer or whatever, just make it clear that they're not an editor and if there is something wrong with your review to where it is not posted don't expect an explaination, just deal with it.

I think it would be bad to post comparission reviews between each fansub group that comes along since obviously people who work with those groups would probably post very biased reviews without really taking the time to compare. Plus thats so much work that I can't imagin anyone who would honestly want to make a side by side comparison. It would take 4-5 hours to be able to make a accurate fair comparison if you want to do it right for just one series. Plus if a group got slammed and lost all their leechers they would probably change their efforts and improve greatly (not a bad thing) but then the review would no longer be valid and new comparisons would have to be made which again would take a long time.

Anyways I just pulled most of this out of my ass, I would like to know if it's still even being considered by the mods before giving serious thought to it, and would like know what are the major concerns are so people can focus on thinking up solutions. I really think a well done review forum would greatly increase the value of Animesuki to the fansub community.

yoursurrogategod
2003-11-30, 04:36
I prefer having a set of trusted and thorough reviewers, like Masakari on Anime-Planet. People who show me screenshots and point out inconsistencies, and make clear concise points as to why another fansub is better.

For instance, Tycho of Penny Arcade, over time I've determined we don't agree on certain games, and I know why we don't agree, so I take this into account when he mentions something. Hence, even though they aren't in agreement with my viewpoint, his reviews are always helpful.

If reviews are open to everyone, it'll just be like series discussion on the forum. I.e. Mostly useless to the newbie.

For an example of what I perceive to be an excellent and informative review:

http://www.anime-planet.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8031&sid=830cdcc6d47fa0df84d983b0bb7d1e92

sothis
2003-11-30, 05:44
finfang: redmond eh?

<--- currently enrolled in 5th year CS at WWU in bham ;)

I think it would be bad to post comparission reviews between each fansub group that comes along since obviously people who work with those groups would probably post very biased reviews without really taking the time to compare.

in the forum i posted (and/or the guy above me posted, etc etc), there are quite a few people from various fansub groups that visit/post in general. a lot of these people read the series fansub discussion forum, and very, very few of them respond like you are saying they would... even to reviews that are less than pleasant about their group's version of the fansub. occasionally they will respond explaining why the episode turned out the way it did, or will explain a reason they chose to do <insert thing here>.

Plus if a group got slammed and lost all their leechers they would probably change their efforts and improve greatly (not a bad thing) but then the review would no longer be valid and new comparisons would have to be made which again would take a long time.

the trend people have seemed to do in the threads, is to review the quality of EPISODES in general...

for older series or finished series, people tend to give opinions on the groups as a whole.. but for brand new series, people like Masakari and Lucky and a few others, do the side by side comparisons, which i think are ESSENTIAL to people's knowledge of what version to download.

I prefer having a set of trusted and thorough reviewers, like Masakari on Anime-Planet. People who show me screenshots and point out inconsistencies, and make clear concise points as to why another fansub is better.

indeed. i am really, really grateful that masakari, lucky, and most of the original W.T.F. cast post stuff in the APN threads. i think it's turning out well. i honestly don't know if any such kind of forum could exist without people like that... not unless you want a million "OMG NARUT0 IS TEH R0X0R" animenfo quality comments floating around.

anyways, i know this is animesuki and not anime-planet, so i'm not trying to spam... but the link posted by a bunch in this thread + me does have exactly what you are are asking for, already... so if animesuki decides not to reinvent the wheel, at least check out the forum, cause you'll get your exact answers there... and can contribute ones of your own, too.