PDA

View Full Version : Why does Ed want his arm and leg back?

DynamicPerformance
2004-03-16, 19:16
I am a avid FMA fan, from the first episode i saw. It is well made, and i enjoy the story.

Recently i had an argument :argue:
with my friend, and it revolved around this question:

Why does Ed want his arm and leg back?

My friend claims that he is much cooler with his artificial body parts,
but i maintain that Edward is not longing for his arm and leg, but more for a return to the way life was before his mother dies.

Any comments?

BigFire
2004-03-16, 19:19
I am a avid FMA fan, from the first episode i saw. It is well made, and i enjoy the story.

Recently i had an argument :argue:
with my friend, and it revolved around this question:

My friend claims that he is much cooler with his artificial body parts,
but i maintain that Edward is not longing for his arm and leg, but more for a return to the way life was before his mother dies.

Any comments?

Why? Automail is not maintence free accessory. It's actually quite maintence intensive compare to your flesh & blood. Sure he has the added benifit of having a more durable limb, but the trade off can be argue that his growth stunce is caused by having to wear the automail.

DynamicPerformance
2004-03-16, 19:25
It's actually quite maintence intensive compare to your flesh & blood.
Yeah, but in numerous episodes, his automail arm and leg have saved him from death, it is a good trade off.
growth stunce is caused by having to wear the automail.
i think you mean his stunted growth, i think that that is more a price that goes along with the rest of his punishment, like having the arm and leg.

Anyways, the question is: still why? ...

xris
2004-03-16, 19:33

To some extent it's the McGuffin, without it there wouldn't be much of a story would there :)

Kamui4356
2004-03-16, 19:34
Yeah, but in numerous episodes, his automail arm and leg have saved him from death, it is a good trade off.

i think you mean his stunted growth, i think that that is more a price that goes along with the rest of his punishment, like having the arm and leg.

Anyways, the question is: still why? ...
Would you rather have your own arm and leg or artifical limbs in place of them? Even though automail is more functional than real artifical limbs, it's still better to have one's real limbs. Plus every time Ed has his auto mail adjusted, he is forced to suffer through extreme pain. It doesn't seem like a difficult choice to me...

dom02
2004-03-16, 20:07
woudl you rather have a metal arm and leg for the rest of your life? Yea thats a great way to attract the ladies. Also can he actually feel anything through them??

Go-lytely
2004-03-16, 20:15
I suppose it would be cool but then again you would be looked upon as a freak. Of course you could easily kick their asses.

ziphra
2004-03-16, 20:32
I always figured Ed actually AIMED for getting his brother's orginal human form back as top priority and maybe the "must have arm and leg back deal" was like a side-quest, or ermm...whats the word?, [thinks really hard, loses it] eh...sorta deal.

Anyways, like everyone else said, having the auto-mail puts Ed in so much stress. Having to worry if its going to malfunction, the consequences of mistreatment, not feeling all too "human," etc. But to me, I figure he wants to get those limbs back just because he feels "unnatural" with them on, as much positives as they come with. But like I said up there, maybe its just a "hey when we do this, we can do this too!" sorta deal, so I figure Ed is caring more about his brother right now than his own body.

nak
2004-03-16, 20:42
If we all recall in episode 16, having Auto-mail isnt everything most would think.

BrodoFaggins
2004-03-16, 23:21
Ed had trouble writing a letter to winry in the nina+alexander chimera episode...reformatted hd and forgot to back up on cd's, so i no longer have eps, anyway...and yeah, automail would be too high-maintenance, and faulty, according to the more recent episodes where it fails to work.

NocturnalFerri
2004-03-16, 23:53
I dont think its so much because it's painful to get connected or cuz it's not hot with the ladies or anything. (though i think hes pretty cool either way) ;) I think its more of a wish to go back to the way things were, like someone else said. A reminder of what they had to sacrafice and of days gone by that were much simpler. Play with alchemy, make okaasan happy, hate tousan, hang out with winly... When/if he gets his real arm and leg back, he wouldn't *have* to be a dog of the military anymore. So, maybe also an additional reminder of their goal, besides the pocketwatch.

and what's it matter if it helps him out once in a while. It's like being thankful that he's short in ep22(?). Or Ed gettin' hit with something. *shrug*. It's lucky it happens to be that way, but you dun really want it like that, but hey, it helped in the situation and its necessary, so "when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade". But it doesnt hurt to wish.

diabolistic
2004-03-16, 23:54
i think the ending explains why he wants his arm and leg back..
to have no feeling in your arm and leg would be horrible, which may explain why he feels so obliged to return Al's body back too.

the shot with the snowflakes melting on one hand and not the other is beautiful ;_;

A Lamer
2004-03-17, 00:20
I always figured Ed actually AIMED for getting his brother's orginal human form back as top priority and maybe the "must have arm and leg back deal" was like a side-quest, or ermm...whats the word?, [thinks really hard, loses it] eh...sorta deal.
the word(s) would be quite simply, equivilent trade. Ed has only one interest, to get his brother back into his original body. The same goal is held by Al, so in order for Ed to get Al to help, Ed promises he'll let Al return his arm and leg when they've gotten Al's body back. :)

Anthias
2004-03-17, 05:00
the word(s) would be quite simply, equivilent trade. Ed has only one interest, to get his brother back into his original body. The same goal is held by Al, so in order for Ed to get Al to help, Ed promises he'll let Al return his arm and leg when they've gotten Al's body back. :)

Good point. And of course, Automail HURTS!...

FlyByNite
2004-03-17, 05:28
I think if I was Ed I'd want my real leg back, but the metal arm is kinda handy. Especially when I can trasmutate it into a sword and stuff.

Then again we've all grown up with seeing Luke get his artificial arm in ESB and it was hella cool. So I'm biased with that ;)

ziphra
2004-03-17, 06:41
the word(s) would be quite simply, equivilent trade. Ed has only one interest, to get his brother back into his original body. The same goal is held by Al, so in order for Ed to get Al to help, Ed promises he'll let Al return his arm and leg when they've gotten Al's body back. :)ah quite so, quite so. but equivalent trade is kind of working out to be one of those moral things they are trying to sort out in the series. thats only in the context of doing bad as a trade off for good results or what not, blah blah. i wont go into morals, it's just a show anyways ^_^.

I think if I was Ed I'd want my real leg back, but the metal arm is kinda handy. Especially when I can trasmutate it into a sword and stuff.

Then again we've all grown up with seeing Luke get his artificial arm in ESB and it was hella cool. So I'm biased with that :) rawr! but how cool would it be to see Ed transmute different types of swords using whatever materials he has available to him in the series? mmm...what if EVERYONE used alchemy to create a different type of sword in the series?!? [ponders some more] mmm...super duper fire sword of death...mmm colonel mustang wielding that super duper fire sword of death...haha. i dunno, just thought about the necessity of the auto-mail as a sword. ^_^

skillosopher
2004-03-17, 12:16
To some extent it's the McGuffin, without it there wouldn't be much of a story would there :)yeah but, even if there werent much of a story, or driving ambition to get his arm and leg back to normal. at the very least, it should all make sense. keeping the story alive in disregarde for anything else isnt the coolest thing. i tend to agree with the origional post'er.

other than pure sentimentality (equivalent trade sob-story), i dont see a good reason for ed to want to get his arm and leg back to normal!

al, is a different story. the poor guy cant even eat, or have sex! if i were al, i would do anything in my power to get that facet of life back!

however, if i were ed, would amputate my other arm and leg to complete the automail goodness!!!

Akichan
2004-03-17, 15:03
To be honest, I don't think that this is high on Edward's goal priority. That's AL's goal, in exchange for Ed returning him back to his body. Al continually has to remind Ed of that part of the goal.

The reason being, is that I think Edward feels responsible for what happened to Al, and somewhat feels like he should suffer his punishment in exchange for what he did.

Unfortunately, I get the feeling that Edward won't be restoring his body. But that's just a personal feeling I've had since episode 10 or so.

LinChoiSin
2004-03-17, 18:45
am i the only one who thinks that losing an arm and a leg is something horrible ? :) of course Al is great and can transform his automail but for me it goes without saying that he must do all he can to recover his arm and leg and if it's not his top priority i guess it's because Al 's case is even worse and that it's more urgent to get back Al's body.

skillosopher
2004-03-17, 19:04
am i the only one who thinks that losing an arm and a leg is something horrible ? :) of course Al is great and can transform his automail but for me it goes without saying that he must do all he can to recover his arm and leg and if it's not his top priority i guess it's because Al 's case is even worse and that it's more urgent to get back Al's body.
losing an arm and leg isnt so bad if it gets replaced with something that feels no pain (as ed constantly uses it as a sheild), and seemingly more durable, and powerful than his other limbs.

my question is...why not?!

SoulFire
2004-03-17, 22:38
wait, if Ed got his real arm (and leg) back, doesn't that mean he can't transmute just by clapping his hands? and would instead need to draw a transmutation circle? ...or maybe i'm missing something

evilneko
2004-03-17, 22:46
ever tried jackin' with your left hand?, nuff said

ziphra
2004-03-18, 02:42
wait, if Ed got his real arm (and leg) back, doesn't that mean he can't transmute just by clapping his hands? and would instead need to draw a transmutation circle? ...or maybe i'm missing something

I always understood that Ed had a gift of not needing a transmutation circle for normal transmutations that weren't "large scale" so to speak. Unless they drew circles within his auto-mail, this is what I'm going to believe. That or his State Alchemist watch....

PhoenixAngel
2004-03-18, 10:29
I think it comes more down to these issues...

Ed and Al attempted a human transformation, and in the resulting price of 'equivalent trade' lost parts of themselves.

I don't know how any one else would feel, but having cold steel on half my body to remind me of how badly I messed up on just trying to bring back the one person in my life who gave me comfort...no, that's just harsh.

So of course I'd like to get back to normal.

As for Al, I dunno if it'll be possible. Sure, with the stone Ed will become an Alchemist juggernaut, but even still...it's going to require taking the lives of people to do, one way or another. Is Ed going to be up for that?

I just don't see it happening.

areku-kun
2004-03-18, 14:29
I always understood that Ed had a gift of not needing a transmutation circle for normal transmutations that weren't "large scale" so to speak. Unless they drew circles within his auto-mail, this is what I'm going to believe. That or his State Alchemist watch....

I highly doubt the circles in the auto-mail. Also, I'm pretty sure he could do the transmutation without a circle before he got his watch. The first time he did it was when he was while he was still taking the exam.

A Lamer
2004-03-18, 18:40
ever tried jackin' with your left hand?, nuff said

yes, infact I prefer it, and I'm right handed.

:P

NoSanninWa
2004-03-18, 18:54
What I don't like about this thread is that most people here are totally ignoring the human aspect.

The question assumes that he would prefer auto-mail to a human arm and leg because he wouldn't be as good a fighter. After all, automail is stronger and harder to harm. It would be much more dangerous for him to block a blade with a human arm after all. What this ignores is the fact that Ed doesn't think of himself as a weapon. He thinks of himself as a human and loosing parts of his body is traumatic. Auto-mail doesn't feel, it is just a useful prothesis. And I doubt that it is as satisfying to hold your brother when one of your arms is metal. On top of this, the auto-mail is a constant reminder of how he nearly killed his bother and failed to help his mother. It symbolizes failure to him, not efficency.

As a human, Ed wants to be entirely human. Not just a weapon.

Sethi
2004-03-18, 21:04
/me Agrees with NoSanninWa.

If you had something with you that brought back your worst memory wouldn't you want to get rid of it? Also Ed only joined the military so he could look for a way to return his arm and leg as well the body of his brother to normal, so i think that when he does so he will leave the military and lead a normal life so he won't need to fight anymore, in case some of you didn't noticed Ed doesn't like to fight that much.

Anthias
2004-03-18, 21:06
yes, infact I prefer it, and I'm right handed.

:P

Yeah, leaves your right hand free to use the mouse! :) (j/k - LOL)

DynamicPerformance
2004-03-19, 11:58
I think one nice thing about his automail is that it reminds him of how he failed. He failed because of (english word) his hubrus, and the fake arm might remind him of that mistake. That would be an important reason to keep tha automail, so he does not commit the same mistake again.

Ranko
2004-03-19, 13:02
You should compair Luke's arm to Ed's Luke's allowed for full senses. Now Clay Droma from the Old Tales of the Jedi line is closer to Ed since he uses a droid arm to replace his own

Gravi-T
2004-03-19, 19:50
You should compair Luke's arm to Ed's Luke's allowed for full senses. Now Clay Droma from the Old Tales of the Jedi line is closer to Ed since he uses a droid arm to replace his own
Why not Anakin's arm too? Both he and his son lost their arms! But their technology was more advanced in the SW Galaxy and just a little off-topic, I'd rather be able to master The Force than to master Alchemy. What's the point in transmutating things? I don't fight that much and if I break things, I fix it! So why not get things with telekinesis without even moving your butt! And it would be fun to push people around without even being near them! :naughty:

paladin
2004-03-19, 20:58
Grav-T... evil, just evil. lol

Zauren
2004-03-20, 07:10
I agree with those who don't think Ed cares much about his arm or leg at the moment, at least compared to his brother. If nothing else, look at what he said he would do with the Philosopher's Stone - He'd transmute Al into his normal body, and vanish so they could use the stone for whatever they wanted. He didn't seem to think about himself at all, and Alphonse couldn't cure Edward without the Stone as well I would wager. One way or another, it seems to be low priority to him... If nothing else, he doesn't want to forget the sin he commited. He's made that clear since the ending of the first episode...

Gravi-T
2004-03-20, 10:14
Not evil, but naughty! :)

But the greatest thing would be having the invisibilty power. That would be great! You know, go in to the girls' dressing room and so on. :D
And also messing with people's minds. Like pushing them and then they turn around to see who's there, but no one is there. After a while, they'll become paranoid! :P

But that's a litte off topic.

I think that both Alphonse and Edward will be turned back to normal in the finale. If they don't, I'll start to cry! :'(
:D

Anthias
2004-03-20, 10:30
He failed because of (english word) his hubrus,

actually its greek

fullmetalMonkey
2006-12-27, 02:42
i know i dream of having auto mail and where is the disadvantge

NoSanninWa
2006-12-27, 03:10
where is the disadvantge
No sense of touch.
Enhances sense of isolation.
It's embarassing when people stare at you all the time.

fullmetalMonkey
2006-12-27, 14:23
but the advantge s
alchemy wepon
less chance of breaking a arm
increased strenth

NoSanninWa
2006-12-27, 18:09
It is a matter of priority: Would you rather be a weapon or a human being? It is clear that Ed chooses the later, though you would prefer the former.

fullmetalMonkey
2006-12-27, 23:47
weapon plus metal limb's are sweet