PDA

View Full Version : Top ten mangas right now? (suggestions?)

Lord Raiden
2004-03-22, 23:25
What do you guys think are the top ten best manga right now? I haven't had much of a chance to do manga lately and I'm just now starting to get into it again and I was wanting to find out some of the best ones to check out? I'm right now reading Naruto and Midori no Hibi and trying to get my hands on the Pita Ten manga to read if that gives you any clue to the kind of manga I like. Humorous or adventure anime are good, so is sci-fi. Enchii is not big on my list, but if it's in good taste I'm ok with that.

What would be the top 10 manga you'd suggest?

Kitsune-bi
2004-03-23, 00:08
Hmmm... I'm really into Bleach right now. Viz announced they should have it out in English this spring. Its about a 15 year old ghost hunter/samurai boy. Some comedy. Lots of very well drawn action. I'd recomend it to anyone.
Also reading Full metal alchemist. And of course Naruto and One Piece, pretty much whats running in the current japanese shonen jump.
An older series that I'm still in love with is Gunnm. Very sci-fi/cyber punk. From probably one of my all time favorite manga artists, his art is just amazing one of the best drawn mangas ever. Think it was called Battle Angel Alita by Viz.

Valkiri
2004-03-23, 00:43
Top ten
well iam reading at the moment

1.Parfait Tic
2.Naruto
3.Good morning call
4.Hana yori dango
5.ai yori aoshi
6.inital D

thats about it that iam reading at the moment

others i suggest looking at are
Love hina , Childs toy , Kare knao , more to come

Vicious
2004-03-23, 12:38
1. 20th Century Boys (too bad volume 16 will be released only in April 30rd. Being scanslated by The Hawks (www.thehawks.org/)/Mangascreener (http://www.mangascreener.com/index.php))
2. Berserk (volume 27 only in July)- licensed
3. Monster (released weekly by Mangascreener, just a volume and a half to end)
4. One Piece- licensed
5. Naruto- licensed
6. Pluto (new Naoki Urasawa project. Monthly manga, being scanslated by Mangascreener (http://www.mangascreener.com/index.php))- this manga may reach a higher rank later. So far, only 6 chapters were released, so it's hard to tell if it'll be as good as Monster or 20th Century Boys.
7. Bleach- licensed
8. Yakitake!! Japan (being scanslated by Snoopycool (http://www.snoopycool.com/))
9. Black Cat (being scanslated by Chrono's Time Guardians (http://ctg.mangareaders.com/))
10. GANTZ (being scanslated by The Hawks (www.thehawks.org/)/Project Omanga (http://www.omanga.net/?cid=news))

I'd really like to put Gunnm Last Order there too. However, there's no group scanslating it right now, and it's already licensed in the USA though.

Of course, these are the manga that are currently being released. My "true" top 10 is much different than that lol

Kaoru
2004-03-23, 12:57
In no particular order:

1. Naruto (ninjas!)
2. 20th Century Boys (best manga I've read story-wise)
3. Blame! (best manga I've read artistically-wise)
4. GANTZ (this is so twisted, I luv it)
5. One Piece (pirates are fun!)
6. Yakitate!! Japan (such a funny manga about baking bread, makes me hungry)
7. Count Cain (wicked version of Sherlock Holmes, dark shoujo)
8. Bleach (kickass story and action and Rukia rocks)
9. Berserk (medival gore goodness with a hint of romance)
10. Zombie Hunter (plenty of gore, cool story, awesome art, luv it)

Those are my current top picks, but the list changes as I read more titles. Either way I found these titles, as well as the aformentioned ones, to be good and interesting reads. Enjoy! :D

7thMethuselah
2004-03-23, 14:03
My personal favorites : Kenshin (awesome) and Love Hina (hilarious), other great titles are Chobits, Planetes, Akira, Ah! My Goddess, Inu Yasha and Fushigi Yugi

haunterex
2004-03-25, 06:25
here are the personal top 11 manga that is still going on, in no particular order:
1. ichigo 100%
2. one-piece
3. blackcat
4. full metal alchemist
5. tsubasa: reservoir chronicle
6. karekano
7. katsu!
8. magister negi magi
9. crayon shin-chan
10. deathnote
11. shamanking

here are some simple descriptions/thought about these manga....

ichigo100% got tons of fanservice, but the story seems to drag on forever. However, it's still a good comedy/romance manga

one-piece is one of the best comic out there, and it's not gonna end anytime soon. Except for the part about the airland battle, the whole story is really attractive.

blackcat is kinda like one-piece in a way, about this mercenary that used to work for this secret organization that controls the world.

fma: no need to describe here la~ XD

tsubasa: latest serie by clamp, about this princess lost her memory and her memory becomes feather. And the main character has to travel around alternate world to gather the feathers for her.

karekano: a classic anime, but the manga hasnt ended yet, a lot has happened since hte anime ended. it's worth reading if u like karekano the anime.

katsu: kick ass boxing story! by the author of touch! and H2.

negi magi: newest serie by author of love hina, the main character is a harry-potter like kid, but he is currently a teacher at a japanese highschool, lots of ecchi scenes and magic battles. sooo good~ currently, chapter 46 is out, and it's damn exciting~

shin-chan: one of the funniest comic ever, it's about the life on a little kid that is really perverted.

deathnote: newest serie by the author of hikaru no go, it's about this teenager finding a book that can killing anyone he saw in anyway by writting their real names in the book. the demon that first possessed the book follows this teenager around because the demon finds the human world entertaining.

Akageno
2004-03-25, 11:17
10..well...
Kung-fu girl July
Angel Dust
Ranma1/2
Where's Mikle (=^.^=)
Gunsmith cats
Gensonmaden Saiyuki
GITS
Domonion. Tank Police
Alihino
Lilim Kiss

skillosopher
2004-03-25, 12:49
i cant believe nobody named hxh.

im only reading a few manga. im quite picky. i dont like cooking stuff, or (only) comedy, (only) romance.

(no particular order)
1. naruto
2. hunter x hunter
3. one piece
4. blade of the immortal
5. vagabond
6. bleach
7. fullmetal alchemist
8. berserk
9. (i wish i could find this somewhere) GRAPPLER BAKI
10. (i wish i could find this too) GET BACKERS
* i'd also add hajime no ippo as #11.

as long as i get provided with some nice adventure and violence, mystery, (some) romace and comedy, i'll like the manga, as i love these mangas.

might i also reccomend some american comics?! ive carried a heavy bias against anything not japanese when it comes to comics/manga, but there are great american comics out that are much much much better quality as they are almost always colored, more vibrant, and overall better art quality. sometimes i cant even understand the chaos when im reading poorly scanned manga on my comp screen.

for american comics im reading:

1. deadpool
2. sandman
3. gen 13
4. gen x
5. superman (1990-2004)
6. daredevil
7. spiderman
and there are plenty others.

zalas
2004-03-25, 14:55
What do you guys think are the top ten best manga right now? I haven't had much of a chance to do manga lately and I'm just now starting to get into it again and I was wanting to find out some of the best ones to check out? I'm right now reading Naruto and Midori no Hibi and trying to get my hands on the Pita Ten manga to read if that gives you any clue to the kind of manga I like. Humorous or adventure anime are good, so is sci-fi. Enchii is not big on my list, but if it's in good taste I'm ok with that.

Right now, I just finished reading the main part of Ojizo Quest (1st Stage). It's a silly little manga that ran in Ribon and was pretty neat. It's about this elementary girl who constantly is nice to trio of Buddha statues called "Ojizo" which supposedly are something like ancestor guardians or something. Then one day, she objected to a bunch of bums throwing the Ojizo out in order to get away from the rain in the little ornamental shack for the Ojizo. The bums were about to attack her, but the Ojizo transform into bishounen and save her using really bizarre methods like "mega-shining attack" to blind their opponents and forcing them to bow down and pray XD
I'm also following the Ultramaniac manga. It's a bit more down to Earth than the anime and has more relationship drama (but it's still quite funny at times).
Let's, I've also been reading the Matantei Loki Ragnarok manga. Some of the filler chapters are quite funny (especially the Loki twirling baton one :))
I also looked at the next volume of Read or Die (vol 2). The front cover sleeve is remarkably ugly, but the actual cover is quite nice. Nice things were: genki happy spunky Wendy in a schoolgirl outfit, an ultra-nerd who attacks with "I know your 3 sizes" attack (tm), Joker in camo outfit making him look really funny.

Sandwhale0517
2004-03-25, 20:17
You know, this is sort of tough, but really most of whats out there on american shelves right now can be classified into either *classic* or ~crap~
I am not by any stretch the authority on manga, but here is my opinion......

NO SPECIFIC ORDER.....except for numbers 1-3, the ones I'm most interested in at the moment......

1.Great Teacher Onizuka(aka GTO)
2.Naruto(the anime is WAY farther along and just as good if not better....downloadable only though)
3.Iniatal D (the anime doesn't look half bad either......can't say I actually saw it though....)

Onto the rest....no order remember!!

3.One Peace
4.Shaman King
5.Hikaru No Go!(I read shonen jump....best way to get to thes ones......)
6.Love Hina
7.Chobits(confusing....but it's still pretty good)
8.Rurouni Kenshin(still gotta say the anime is better)
9.Get Backers(interesting one here, it just came out in the states so its only at volume 1)
10. If you don't mind going into the anime department, I suggest Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion (ohhh god it's the matrix without all the bullet time....in other words good but confusing as......yeah), and maybe even Outlaw Star.....

Sorry if this happened to be no help at all n.n; and with that....I'm off!

Hotaru
2004-03-26, 00:47
1. Tenjo Tenge
2. Naruto
3. Shaman King
4. HxH
5. Ichigo 100%
6. Air Gear
7. Yakitate!! Japan
8. Ranma 1/2
9. Video Girl AI
10. I''s

Keiokie
2004-03-26, 13:47
Isnt really in any order.

1. Naruto
2. Blame
3. Initial D
4. Bleach
5. Fullmetal Alchemist
6. Hellsing
7. Zombie Hunter
8. Berserk
9. One Piece
10. Hikaru no Go

I just started reading FMA, but its pretty good so far. Its taken me a while to actually get into the manga.
Hikaru no Go started my obsession with the Go game. The series is pretty good as well.

Evan
2004-03-26, 14:01
Should be..........
1.one piece
2.sumurai deeper kyo
3.get backers
4.naruto
5.air gear
6.gundam seed

lynne_huang
2004-03-27, 18:49
Personally, I can't believe there were so few people who nominated Hunter X Hunter! It's such good manga! Man...

These are my personal favs (not in any particular order):
1. Hunter X Hunter
2. Bleach
3. Parfait Tic
4. FMA
5. 20th-century Boys
6. Power!!
7. Black Cat
8. Touch
9. Milk Crown
10. Kenshin

j1m0ne
2004-03-27, 19:12
I'm not sure I can even get to 10, but here's a shot; not in order of course.

1. Black Cat (kick-ass action)
2. Genshiken (all about otaku)
3. Midori no hibi (it's cute and funny as hell)
4. Bleach (doesn't everyone just love bleach?)
5. Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou
6. Yotsubato (crazier than azumanga)
7. Fruits Basket (is more charming than the anime)

......I think that's about it at the moment. There's other stuff I read like NGE:Girlfriend of Steel 2, Tsubasa, Naruto, Planetes and Jing which are all good in their own way, but nowhere near great.

Gaze
2004-03-29, 01:00
On my 'favorites' shelf right now

1. Skip Beat
2. Tokyo Crazy Paradise
3. Hikaru no Go
4. Never Give UP
5. Hanazakari no kimitachi e
6. Inu Yasha
7. Naruto
8. Omake no Kobayashi kun
9. Hunter X Hunter

Need to have a well mixed bag of shounen and shoujo :)

Slade
2004-03-29, 01:28
Bah...

Shame on you all for not mentioning any of my current favorites! >_<

1. NOW

http://free.one.picturehost.co.uk/sladesiggg3.jpg

http://free.one.picturehost.co.uk/wy_1.jpg

2. Zero

http://free.one.picturehost.co.uk/zero5.jpg

3. Hajime No Ippo

and some of the others that some other people have mentioned.

Read NOW and Zero!! They're both greatttttt!

Griffith
2004-03-29, 02:16
I'm only following two on-going mangas at the moment. They are:

1. Berserk
2. Bokurano

Berserk is well-known, so no need for me to explain it. Bokurano is the latest work of Mohiro Kitoh, the author of Wings of Vendemiaire and, most recently, Narutaru. It's mysterious like his other two works and four chapters are currently scanlated. I recommend it if you enjoyed either of his other projects.

Akichan
2004-03-29, 04:27
My top ten (yes in order):

1. Hikaru no Go (SERIOUSLY thretening to lose it's spot with Viz's translation. It's just terrible, if you were a huge fan before hand. Not that I discourage supporting Viz, just they really botched this one up.)

2. Fullmetal Alchemist

3. Naruto

4. Shaman King

5. GTO

6. FAKE

7. One Piece

8. Kodomo no Omocha (Kodocha on licensed release)

9. Yu-Gi-Oh!

10. Angel Sanctuary

I haven't read Hunter x Hunter yet. :) I've heard good things though.

El Diablo
2004-03-29, 14:52
In no order like everyone elses.

Monster
20th Century Boys
Lone wolf and cub (only found this through amazon and i love it so much. can't believe i'd never heard about it before)
One Piece
Hunter x Hunter
Planetes - SO much better than the anime
Akira - Makes the anime look so crap
Fullmetal Alchemist
Berserk
I don't really have a 10th, it could be MPD Psycho, Naruto, Blade of the immortal or something else i can't currently think of.

Prince of Chronics
2004-03-29, 15:06
I don't read much manga... but my favorites are Dogs and Tenjo Tenge...

kingakbar
2004-03-29, 17:30
I haven't read any other manga other than Naruto, but I think that it is Awesome!!

Chibi Neko
2004-03-30, 19:56
In no order, except for 1 and 2

1. Trigun
2. Magic Knight Rayearth
3. Naruto
4. Hikaru no Go
5. Wish
6. One Piece
7. No Need for Tenchi
8. Kaitou Saint Tail
9. Hellsing
10. Rurouni Kenshin

Spooky-Electric
2004-03-31, 00:41
My top ten (yes in order):

1. Hikaru no Go (SERIOUSLY thretening to lose it's spot with Viz's translation. It's just terrible, if you were a huge fan before hand. Not that I discourage supporting Viz, just they really botched this one up.)

How did they botch Hikaru no Go? I haven't read their translation yet.

OFFSPRiNGCo16
2004-04-03, 12:06
In no particular order...
1. Naruto
2. Hunter x Hunter
3. Tenjo Tenge
4. Full Metal Alchemist
5. Berserk
6. Monster
7. Death Note
8. One Piece
9. Eternal Sabbath
10. 20th Century Boys

Edit: Changed my list because it's changed a bit.

tsuki_desu
2004-04-03, 15:48
1~ Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne
2~ Fullmoon Wo Sagashite
3~ Tokyo Mew Mew
4~ Fushigi Yuugi
5~ Magic Knight Rayearth
6~ Imadoki!
7~ Kare Made Love KM
8~ Alice 19th
9~ Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch
10~ Ichigo Channel

JAppi
2004-04-03, 16:20
1 Fun Fun Factory

It's good enough to be all 10 in my top 10 favourite manga.

LynnieS
2004-04-04, 06:00
1. Kare Kano2. The Kindaichi Case Files
3. Magister Negi Magi
4. Detective Academy Q *
5. Crossroad (shoujo - romance?) *
6. Wish
7. Black Cat *
8. Hikaru no Go
9. Initial D
10. The Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok * (no real ranking yet)

* No R1 release, excl. scanlations, available. I think. :)

Babbo
2004-04-05, 01:31
Here is my current favorite manga list:

1. The Phoenix
2. Hajime no Ippo
3. MAR
4. Berserk
5. Ranma 1/2
6. Real Bout High School
7. Flame of Recca
8. Fist of the Blue Sky (only this low because I don't think I'll be able to finish it)
9. Slam Dunk
10. Grappler Baki

Usagi_no_Yami_Bakura
2004-04-05, 14:21
My favs. are:

1. Gensomaden SAIYUKI Vol. 1 out, vol. 2 out in May
2. Saiyuki Gaiden (scanlations) I forgot where the translated version of this is, but it hasn't been made into graphic novels yet.
3. Vampire Game vols. 1-5 out, Vol 6 out in May
4. Yu Yu Hakusho I haven't bought the volumes but I just read it in Shonen Jump
5. Yu-Gi-Oh! beginning with the manga version of the skipped series of Yu-Gi-Oh! hopefully will be translated to the end. I'm willing to buy all 37 vols. eventhough it is also in Shonen Jump
6. This one is kinda old but the whole Gundam Wing Series meaning Episode Zero, etc.
7. ::sigh:: I guess I'm limited to 6 favorites the rest of my manga collection are either shonen ai or shojo manga

Kaka
2004-04-06, 18:34
I don't have ten, since I am not reading a lot recently:
-chrno crusade
-saiyuki / saiyuki reload
-rurouni kenshin
-yu yu hakusho
-city hunter
hmmm.......what else @@

1. Gensomaden SAIYUKI Vol. 1 out, vol. 2 out in May
gensomaden only applies to the first anime season :)

chamelean75
2004-04-06, 19:43
HUNTER x HUNTER!!!!!!!! It's still going on now. A chapter comes out maybe every other week or each week. Very very good. You get easily hooked on the characters.

Youko Recca
2004-04-06, 22:22
One Piece
Black Cat
Flame of Recca
Naruto
Yu Yu Hakusho
Hunter x Hunter
Bleach

RyuHayabusa
2004-04-06, 22:28
Top ten manga as of right now that I can give to you for reading:
Hot Gimmick
KareKano
Please Save My Earth
Alice 19th
Angel/Dust
Azumanga Daioh
The Big O
Paradise Kiss
Full Metal Panic
Gundam:The Origin

domino
2004-04-06, 22:56
I'll try to number them off. ^_^

1. Basara (Legend of Basara) - licensed

2. Naruto (licensed, but I find Viz's translation unbearably bad)

3. Gravitation - licensed (I've burst out laughing reading/watching this series more times than any other... "Apologize to the stuffed bunny OR YOU WILL BE SHOT!")

4. Fruits Basket - licensed (lighthearted, cute fun)

5. Yami no Matsuei - licensed(?) - (perfect balance between humor and dark, depressing stories, plus amazing art)

6. Angelique - (So... cute. And the artist's work is amazing)

7. Alice 19th - licensed (the plot isn't even that interesting, but I find myself in love with the characters)

8. Clover - licensed (CLAMP's best manga, which also happens to be neither finished nor animated. CLAMP, what were you thinking?!)

I can't think of a 9 or a 10, so I'll just say again that Basara is probably the best manga I've ever read. XD I really, really regret not buying it the first time it was recommended to me. Don't be fooled by the bad cover art on volume 1! That's what kept me away from it for so long. The art is actually very beautiful. ^_^

honey.sweet
2004-04-07, 17:14
These aren't in any particular order :) :

1. Ranma 1/2
2. Hot Gimmick
3. Megatokyo (yes, it's manga!)
4. Those Who Hunt Elves
5. Initial D

ok so, that wasn't 10... ¬_¬

I'm still waiting for Hyper Police manga in english :)

Maikeru
2004-04-10, 15:07
Berserk
Naruto
FMA
Zetman
Cowboy Bebop
Love Hina
.hack
One Piece
Rurouni Kenshin
Bleach

Those aren't really in order...

Crimson
2004-04-10, 17:49
Hunter X Hunter

One Piece

Bleach

Naruto

Black Cat

Berserk

GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka)

Evangelion (by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto)

Tokko

Midori no Hibi

Ichigo 100%

filipino heat
2004-04-11, 02:27
1. ranma 1/2...so freakin funny
2. one piece
3. bleach...it would be so cool if they animated this
4. flame of recca
5. midori no hibi
6. yakitate japan
7. Mar
8. naruto
9. hajime no ippo
10. rurouni kenshin

suguru
2004-04-11, 02:29
I don't read a lot of manga, but if you're looking for something hilarious, I'd recommend Sgt. Frog (Keroro Gunso). It's about an advance team of frog-like aliens sent to scout out the Earth before their invasion fleet arrives, but they get captured by a girl and her brother and the invasion is called off, marooning them. Invading frogs that get hooked on building Gundam models and girls who beat the tar out of them when they don't do the housework--it's insane, but also very funny :)

This is Tokyopop's site, unfortunately only vol. 1 is out so far:

http://www.tokyopop.com/dbpage.php?propertycode=SAR&categorycode=BMG&page=introduction

Newprimus
2004-04-11, 05:12
In not real specific order other than a loose progression of best to least best from 1 to 10:

1. Midori no Hibi

2. Black Cat

3. Pretty Face

4. Mahou Sensei Negima

5. Love Hina

6. Yakitate!! Japan

7. Kazan

8. Tsukihime

9. One Piece

10: Ranma 1/2

OutPhase
2004-04-13, 12:20
Here's the top of my ladder!

1. Azumanga Daioh
2. Ranma 1/2
3. Love Hina
4. One Piece

Needless to say, I haven't read a lot of manga.

NOT recommended.

Pita-Ten

Sethi
2004-05-06, 16:09
Nice thread to decide on new mangas to read, thanks to all of you who gave me the names of new mangas to read :)
By the way my Top 10 right now in no particular order is:

Air Gear - Oh! Great really deserves is name, Air Gear is just awesome. Me wants a pair of Air Treck :(
Tenjo Tenge - Another awesome by Oh! Great, the fighting as well as the story are a must.
20th Century Boys - This one can really mess a person head, Friend schemes are amazing, also i would prefer this one animated to monster.
Naruto - Manga about ninjas almost always cool and entertaining.
One Piece - Very original concept, Pirates rule, not to mention it's very funny and entertaning as well.
Bleach - Now this one has to be animated, Bleach is awesome with a damn original story a lot of comedy moments and some wicked fights.
Black Cat - Read above, i have pretty much the same tought's about this one as i do with Bleach.
Ichigo 100% - Nice romance manga with a lot of fanservice.
GANTZ - Brutal, real and original, what more does it need, the people in GANTZ act very much like reality.
Midori No Hibi - This one features the most weird relationship i saw ever, so wrong it's almost right.

Fighter Volk
2004-05-06, 17:16
Nice thread to decide on new mangas to read, thanks to all of you who gave me the names of new mangas to read :)
By the way my Top 10 right now in no particular order is:

Air Gear - Oh! Great really deserves is name, Air Gear is just awesome. Me wants a pair of Air Treck :(
Tenjo Tenge - Another awesome by Oh! Great, the fighting as well as the story are a must.
20th Century Boys - This one can really mess a person head, Friend schemes are amazing, also i would prefer this one animated to monster.
Naruto - Manga about ninjas almost always cool and entertaining.
One Piece - Very original concept, Pirates rule, not to mention it's very funny and entertaning as well.
Bleach - Now this one has to be animated, Bleach is awesome with a damn original story a lot of comedy moments and some wicked fights.
Black Cat - Read above, i have pretty much the same tought's about this one as i do with Bleach.
Ichigo 100% - Nice romance manga with a lot of fanservice.
GANTZ - Brutal, real and original, what more does it need, the people in GANTZ act very much like reality.
Midori No Hibi - This one features the most weird relationship i saw ever, so wrong it's almost right.

I strongly strongly agree with 20th Century Boys. Bleach, Gantz, Black Cat, Naruto, and One Piece are also definitely worth checking out. I'd add Monster and Hunter X Hunter to the list, and Zombie Powder for that matter although it's short. The Fullmetal Alchemist manga is also good but the anime's a lot better.

I'm extremely excited about Monster animated, but I hope they wait to animate 20th Century Boys until it's finished :)

ZhouYu
2004-05-07, 02:29
Midori no Hibi
Bleach
Naruto
Monster
Azumanga Daioh

jonli
2004-05-07, 03:44
Here's my list...no specific order.

Peacemaker Kurogane - the anime in my opinion was pretty crap...all they had was good animation...but I assure you the manga is a different story.

Vagabond - this is the bomb. great action fabulous art...and i mean fabulous....i just don't know how this guy manages to draw like this. Well the story is based on a history novel about Miyamoto Musashi so i personally like it.

REAL - Great. Any of you who enjoyed Slam Dunk would love this. It is about handicapped people trying to fullfill their dreams and avoiding being discriminated. I think it's very touching.

Planetes - The art is not good...but the story is great. It isnt as nice as the anime but it's still one of the best.

Fullmetal Alchemist - Not as good as the anime.

Naruto - Was a great series until the 2nd saga ended...now, in my opinion, it is a very crappy series...but i'm hoping it would revive again.

One Piece - Also was a great series...but the recent Skypiea and the "Long" island thing....is just....not interesting.

Bleach - I personally think it is just an average series at the begining. But i was wrong, it started to get very interesting and exciting around Book 6-7.

Eyeshield 21 - Funny and great art.

Full Ahead Co-Co - This series is rejected by a lot of people because of its crap art and crap designs. I personally think it is a great series.

Well thats all the top ten manga that i love. Hunter X Hunter used to be the top but....the story got too boring when they entered the Greed Island arc. I think Gundam The ORIGIN is nice as well but if you've already seen the original Gundam it's not worth.

Jax
2004-05-07, 11:50
HUNTER x HUNTER!!!!!!!! It's still going on now. A chapter comes out maybe every other week or each week. Very very good. You get easily hooked on the characters.
This man knows what he's talking about. You just can't not like it. As for other Manga: Love Hina is hella funny. Dragon Hunter is liscensed by Tokyopop but well worth the money. Full Metal Panic is also liscensed and also very good. But i emphisize it again HunterXHunter is the GREATEST!!!

ubb
2004-05-07, 12:25
I saw the cover for the first air gear volume and it's about...... rollerblading?

pbruiz
2004-05-10, 05:43
Maison Ikkoku
Bastard!!
Tenjo Tenge
Video Girl Ai
Marmalade Boy
Berserk
Kare Kano
Inuyasha
3x3 Eyes
I"s

eean
2004-05-10, 10:25
Well, I already see most of my suggestions (Planetes, Yakitate Japan) posted. One manga thats missing is Genshiken (http://jinmen.sigh.org/project.php?genshiken), a manga about a manga-anime-video-game college club ("Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture"). It has some fun characters, and for some reason there aren't that many mangas about college students, so thats another plus.

Also of note are the works by Azuma, Yotsubato (http://home.nc.rr.com/momotato/yotsubato.html) and Azumanga Daioh. Good for their cute humor.

Integra_TypeR
2004-05-12, 12:47
love hina
magister magi negi
salad days
midori no hibi
fullmetal alchemist
ichigo 100%
slamdunk
girl saurus
evangelion

ace firefist
2004-05-13, 13:16

My personal favourites(NOT in order)

Bleach
Black cat
One piece
Naruto
DNA2
Devil&devil
King of bowling

I almost forgot :heh:

Shonen junai gumai
Hajime no Ippo
HUNTERXHUNTER

carolyng808
2004-05-16, 00:57
Here's my faves:

1. Legend of Basara
2. Kare Kano
3. Fruits Basket
4. Hana Kimi
5. Parfait Tic
6. Power!
7. Suki
8. Alice 19th
9. Aquarian Age: Juvenile Orion
10. Azumanga Daioh

cercia_highelf
2004-05-16, 09:52

Etoh says: As librarian of Reading University Anime Society 2003, I can recommend the following:
1) Lady of Pharis vol. 2
2) Angel Sanctuary
3) Inu Yasha
4) Silent Mobius
5) Bastard!!
6) Warlands
7) Hellsing
8) Samurai Deeper Kyo
9) Fruits Basket
10) Personal recommendation: Azumanga Daioh

H2-FumoGuu
2004-06-19, 20:54
Top ten in no specific order

1. Yotsubato
2. Gantz
3. Tenjo Tenge
4. Yakitate
5. Naruto
6. Hajime no Ippo
7. Maison Ikkoku
8. Ikkitousen
9. School Rumble
10. One Piece
10. Berserk
10. Majin hehe ok I'll stop now.

Actually one more. Chokotto Sister is a fairly new scanslation that I like. Slow story but beautiful art.

Domasai
2004-06-20, 05:10
1. 20th Century Boys [Love it, love it, love it!]
2. Monster [Same as above; same author.]
3. Akira [Utterly phenomenal to behold.]
4. One Piece [Fun, fun, fun. And absolutely hysterical.]
5. Buddha [Brilliant in execution, by the godfather of anime and manga.]
6. Saiyuki [Entertaining action series with some very modern humor.]
7. Full Metal Alchemist [Wow. Funny one second, traumatizing the next.]
8. Azumanga Daioh [Incredibly cute and easy to read through.]
9. Yakitate Japan [Funny and odd.]
10. Hunter X Hunter [Great, great. Just read it. You'll see why.]

Seta
2004-06-25, 07:32
Current top ten series I'm following in no particular order although I am enjoying GantZ alot more than the others.

GantZ The fight against the Buddha monsters was the single best "arc" of any series ever
20th Century Boys
Berserk This used to be my absolute favorite until they added the silly occult stuff
Death Note
Bleach
Yakitate!! Japan
Midori no Hibi
Naruto
Tenjou Tenge
PlanetES (also on my top ten anime series)

vio5555
2004-06-25, 09:13
Hmmmmmmmmmmm,

The best ten mangas right now would be imho:

1) Ichigo 100%
2) Open Sesame
3) Pastel
4) Midori no Hibi
5) Girls Saurus
6) Girls Bravo
7) Ah My Goddess
8) Gekkoh
9) Imouto Wa Shishunki
10) Inu Neko Jump

They're all shounen romance/ecchi which is my favorite genre.
STRAWBERRY PANTSU!!!!

Ri_
2004-06-25, 09:59
My top three are definitely:

-) 20th Century Boys
-) Monster
-) Blade of the Immortal

Otherwise:

Berserk
Maison Ikkoku
Subaru
One Piece
Happy!
HunterXHunter (although it's getting a bit dull where I'm reading now)
The Roses of Versailles
Domu

stpehen
2004-06-25, 10:52
For fun, my current top ten.

1) Nasu [so frustrating and yet rewarding to translate]
2) Real [the top of Inoue's game]
3) Believers [amazing]
4) 20th Century Boys [dragging a lot lately, but still tremendous]
5) Ryuguden [pure fun]
6) Helter Skelter [enjoying this much more than River's Edge; it's even more fcked up]
7) Narutaru [good twists]
8) H2 [the more I read, the more I am convinced this is Adachi's masterpiece]
9) Gantz [mindless entertainment at its best]
10) Death Note [how can this possibly run in Weekly Jump]

Summer Soldier
2004-06-25, 15:21
Emphasis on CURRENT manga (as in, ongoing). I’m listing them alphabetically by author.

-Heibon Ponchi – George Asakura (George Asakura’s first delve into manga targeted at the male audience works on a splendid level.)

-Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa – Nobuyuki Fukumoto (I’m still not sure if this manga is supposed to be a serious piece or a comedy. )

-Noramimi – Kazuo Hara (If this series doesn’t touch you, then you either have no heart or must have spent a childhood that was utterly devoid of any sense of wonder or magic.)

-Shiawase Danchi – Jiro Hasukoda (A pet favorite. Who doesn’t enjoy laughing at stupid, poor people? And yet the characters are so endearing and so human that you just can’t help but sympathize with them.)

-Soil – Atsushi Kaneko (It’s Atsushi Kaneko, one of the most stylish manga artists out there right now. Need I say more?)

-Ultra Heaven – Keiichi Koike (I’m so glad that this series has finally started again. Eagerly awaiting volume 2.)

-Freesia – Jiro Matsumoto (In Tropical Citron, you had a main character who was sane and everyone else was mad. With Freesia, the main character is a total nut case.)

-Ryuguden– Toyokazu Matsunaga (Mutated fish monsters are cool.)

-Danchi Tomoo – Tobira Oda (Whether he’s writing for an alternative mag like Comic Cue or a mainstream mag like Big Comic Spirits, the one fact that remains is that Tobira Oda is a comic genius.)

-Hotta – Naoki Yamamoto (Do I understand what’s going on in this manga? Hell no. But I love it anyway, just for the mental trip that it gives you.)

Hiei
2004-07-10, 14:35
my top 10 in no particular order:
1. Dragon Ball
2. Yuu Yuu Hakusho
3. Rurouni Kenshin
4. Shin Tekken Chinmi
5. One Piece
6. Naruto
7. Shaman King
8. Wild Base Ballers
9. Samurai Deeper Kyo
10. X - Magic Knight Rayearth - Sailor Moon - Shoot! - Tennis no Oujisama - Hamerun no Violin Hiki

oops.. :heh:

ninjakirby
2004-07-10, 17:43
The top two are dead on, but the rest under the line can go in any order.

01. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Hirohiko Araki.
02. 20th Century Boys - Urasawa Naoki.
03. Homunculus - Hideo Yamamoto.
04. G Senjou Heaven's Door - Nihonbashi Yoko.
05. Berserk - Kentaro Miura.
06. Rookies - Morita Masanori.
07. Sakigake!! Cromartie High School - Eiji Nonaka.
08. REAL - Inoue Takehiko.
09. Monster - Naoki Urasawa
10. Steel Ball Run - Hirohiko Araki

Honourable Mentions (in any order):
Yotsuba to! - Kiyohiko Azuma.
Pluto - Naoki Urasawa
Kimi no Kakera (Pieces of You) - Takahashi Shin
Rokudenashi Blues - Morita Masanori. (I haven't read enough yet)
Hareluya II BOY - Umezawa Haruto
GANTZ - Hiroya Oku
Alive - Takahashi Tsutomu
Blue Heaven - Takahashi Tsutomu
Initial D - Shigeno Shuichi.
Beck - Sakuishi Harold
Bremen - Umezawa Haruto

tanuki
2004-07-13, 12:46
Just some of the 10 I try to keep up with:

1. Gantz
2. Bleach
3. Ichigo 100%
4. Perfect Girl Evolution
5. Skip Beat
6. Tende Freeze
7. Gekkoh
8. Genshiken
9. Girls Bravo
10. IO

Mankool
2004-07-14, 00:39
There are two mangas I can tell you that will not disappoint you guaranteed! One of them being Naruto! The other being Shadow Star (Narutaru)!
.hack is okay i guess..... and Brain Powered is just plain confusing and isn't popular at all... So my top ten: (reduced to 2)
(in no particular order)
1. Naruto
2. Shadow Star (Narutaru)
Not really suggesting but okay:
.hack
Confusing:
Brain Powered

AzrielBlack
2004-07-14, 15:35
I only like two mangas at the moment:

1) 20th century boys
2) Gantz

Although i havent given thought to trying anything else at the time being because these two are taking up quiet alot of my readin time.

KomikaruNe
2004-07-22, 19:07
Manga I'm reading now (in no particular order, except for Blade, which is my current favorite manga)

Blade of the Immortal
GTO
Hot Gimmick
Fushigi Yugi
The Wanderer
Tokyo Babylon
X/1999
Lament of the Lamb
Naruto
Pita-Ten

Good luck!

g33k
2004-08-09, 02:13
hi :D im actually a n00b in manga.. so i just wanted to know if u could give me like a list from 5 to 10 titles that any person MUST have read (plz identify if they are licensed plz ) thx for ur help

edit: Btw im an ecchi (dunno if i got that 1 right romance/comedy) fan so could u plz put next to the title if its ecchi ? thx ;D (that doesnt mean the list has to be all ecchi ;D)

ShikaShika
2004-08-09, 16:16
I think I'm reading too few mangas to really do a top ten, but I can try and make a list of those I'm currently reading and enjoying:

Death Note (Best thing i'm currently reading, if you like smart people outsmarting eachother, then you'll like this. Ok, that didn't give it enough credit, but meh...)

Gantz (I almost feel like a gantzotard. :p Anyway, really cool and doesn't play it cheap with the blood.)

Hajime no Ippo (Hmm dunno what to say... :p)

Prince of tennis (Far outclasses the anime...)

Yakitate Japan (Only read first volume, but enjoyed it. I'm gonna try out the anime a little before continuing.)

Of course then there's naruto, but meh...

kyok
2004-08-12, 07:33
Aishiteruze Baby (cute story, great art about guy raising orphaned cousin)
Kare Kano (romance)
Hot Gimmick (romance with twisted relationships)
Naruto (ninja dbz)
Hana Kimi (not quite as good as hot gimmick, main girl crossdresses)
Azumanga Daioh (funny comic strips with wacky girls)
Gantz (twilight zone like)
Tenjou Tenge (great art, story isn't the greatest..)
Your and My Secret (lovely artwork)

I'm more into shoujo manga, with some shonen anime.

Stuff that I will probably pick up.. eventually
Fruits Basket
Berserk (great anime)
GTO (ditto)
Initial D (er, wasn't it butchered)
Hunter x Hunter (is that licenced?)

From this thread I'm going to look up:
20th Century Boys
Bleach (think i saw that at the comic store)
Ichigo 100%
Yakitate Japan
Legend of Basara (carolyng808's list matches mine)
Black Cat

Silent Otaku
2004-08-12, 08:48
I hate to sound like a broken record but
Tenjo Tenge has to be in the top 3 this month(Maybe #1), as far as sales

Want evidence, try buying the Vol. 12 that comes with Aya figurine online. It comes out on the 19th

All the preorders are sold out, and if you can get someone to sell it to you. They will probably grossly over charge you and say "Supply & Demand"

sOnJoOL
2004-08-13, 16:25
not in any order but heres what i read

Gantz - Im disgusted at myself for reading this but its too interesting to stop reading
DearS - Picked it up after watching anime, more funnier than anime.
Yakitate Japan - First cooking manga i ever saw. so funny.
Ichigo 100% - harem?? yea buts i like this. (ecchi-full-ish-ness)
Eyeshield21 - REALLY FUNNY. Hiruma's the funniest guy ever.
Katsu - Donno why but its good.
Pastel - Another love love manga.
FullMetal Alchemist - Funny, Great Story, and just crazy all around.
Yotsubato - Funny and I picked it up cuz its author made Azumanga which i also read
Chobits - meh. better than anime version imo.
GetBackers - Anime version is better in this imo.
Bleach - Better than Shaman King which i also read.
Ai Yori Aoshi - just picked it up
Love Hina - i mean come on. :eyebrow:
Naruto - My First Anime ever. so i read the manga too.
One Piece - This is my favorite so far.
Now - Picked this one up Thanks to Slade

gah... too much to list ill stop here. -_-*

kyok
2004-08-13, 23:15
Silent Otaku, yeah i know its really popular. I read like 11 vols and watched like 8 eps of the anime. Maybe because i stopped reading/watching it, or the fact that I couldn't like the main characters Soichiro and Aya. What caught my eye before in the store was the great artwork on the covers, some how though the story seems lacking to me. Soichiro comes off as a lesser version of Naruto as a character, the only thing that really kept my interest was Maya and her story. I'd like to see how her and Mitsuomi (sp?) resolve things, other then that i liked the supporting characters like Bob and Takayanagi.

Soconfused
2004-08-14, 00:33
my top 10 or so at the moment

Battle Royale-Crazy shit. I acually felt queasy at moment v.v
Blade of the immortal- The best samurai/swords manga you can read, cept for...
Vagabond-not as nasty as blade, then the characters are more likable. I love it.
GTO- in the later books it starts to just get stupid, but still good
saiyuki-just read Vol1, and it seems pretty good
Arms-kids with weird arms that morph into cool things. errr, hard to explain....
Ranma 1/2- 27 volumes in, and it's still funny as hell

well, thats like, 7, but still...o_o

sOnJoOL
2004-08-14, 11:41
Silent Otaku, yeah i know its really popular. I read like 11 vols and watched like 8 eps of the anime. Maybe because i stopped reading/watching it, or the fact that I couldn't like the main characters Soichiro and Aya. What caught my eye before in the store was the great artwork on the covers, some how though the story seems lacking to me. Soichiro comes off as a lesser version of Naruto as a character, the only thing that really kept my interest was Maya and her story. I'd like to see how her and Mitsuomi (sp?) resolve things, other then that i liked the supporting characters like Bob and Takayanagi.

me too,,,,, i was dragged in by the art, but then im not really into school fighting things. but i stiill keep the artworks =_=*

feeman_4_life
2004-08-14, 13:28
i'm really quite surprised Hajime no Ippo was only mentioned one or two times in this topic.

I strongly recommened it, the series is STILL going, nearly 70 volumes!!! About 36-37 volumes are scanlated at the moment. TOTALLY jammed packed with awesome boxing action, very good quality art, intriguing storyline and good comedy too.

I really recommend Love Hina, I"s, Hikaru no Go (strangely addicting, after watching and reading it, i learned to play the game, and made it to around 5k in kgs too, took like 2 years, but o well, fun game), Rurouni Kenshin, it's very good swordfighting action backed up with a very developed storline, GTO,hm, gto is just funny =D, Naruto, it's very addicting, but later on the series, the point where it is right now, it just seems to drag, Initial D, i really never thought a racing manga can be this damn good.

I noticed Ichigo 100% is recommended quite a bit right now (i'm reading it too), but I dunno, the story doesn't seem that interesting, and the artwork is nothing spectacular either.... it's okay...... definitely uncomparable to the quality of art and mindless comedy in Love Hina and the crazy hilarity in I"s. They both have their quite touching moments for a romance/comedy manga.

Silent Otaku
2004-08-14, 14:55
Yeah
This manga has to be to the first where I hate the main character Soichiro, and the whole love rubix cude (Masataka>Aya>Nagi>Maya>Mitsoumi) is very annoying. I ignore that and look at the art work, figthing, and characters (My avatar is the "F" member Tetsuhito :heh: ). I also believe that Masataka (I think he got cheated) and Bob should have bigger role, but it seems Oh! Great likes to tell his story in a diffrent way. Whether they will be great, only time will tell

[[IronMaidenHikari]]
2004-08-17, 01:06

Right now, I really like Shaman King, Yu Gi Oh, One Piece, er... try Ichigo 100%, oh oh! And ButsuZone, too!!

pyu
2004-08-18, 02:05
I am not recommending per se, since I use scanlations to find out which series are worth my moola. Ironically, at the end of the day, I do buy most of the mangas I am reading...

Well in no order of preference, these are the series I am actively pursuing (i.e. I ask whether the latest volume is out when I drop by the comic shop):

1) Ichigo 100%. (its 草莓 100% (in chinese) and translated and published by Taiwanese publishers Boys if you do read chinese. I guess you can call it 'not popular' since no Hong Kong publisher has picked it up yet... heh)
2) 20th Century Boys. (Excellent. But, pales a bit in comparison to the tight storyline of Monster. Then again, alot of manga out there pales in comparison to Monster...:p )
3) Eyeshield 21. (unique, since no one has ever done a sports manga on American Football, of all things... :) )
4) Magister Negi Magi. (er, light reading. )
5) Yakitate Japan. (I guess everyone knows about this.)

Merely 'collecting' mode (some originate from waay back before there were scanners and scanlations):
6) Guyver (a cookie to those who remember this series...)
7) Bastard! (I heard volume 23 is out, again, another slow one)
8) Berserk (yeah, another very slow one)
9) Ah! Megami-sama (not stalled, just has no end in sight)

Some of the new stuff that has just appeared. (as in around 5 volumes...)
10) Tsubasa (by CLAMP. Before you cringe, it features a romp through the CLAMP universe...)
11) Deathnote (Plenty of dialouge. Chinese may be my mother tongue but even then it got me lost plenty of times)

Bleed Kaga
2004-08-19, 11:29
Top Ten Ongoing Manga In Alphabetical Order

Bleach (01-13) Although a typical shonen manga, it is presented quite well with an interesting and likable cast.

Dear Boys Act II (01-16)
I love basketball and Dear Boys is by far the best (and probably only?) onging basketball manga right now.

Detective Conan (01-45)
It may be long, repetitive, with no conclusion in sight; but still very much interesting and better than Detective Academy Q.

Galaxy Angel (01-03)
Even though there are only 3 volumes so far, who can possiblly not like Galaxy Angel? And the tiny whale is so cute!

Get Backers (01-25)
Much more funny (and perveted) compared to the anime. Probably the best combination of action, story, and humor of the top 10.

Inuyasha (01-35)
Yes, it's still not over; but I am a Rumiko fan. Not as good as Ranma 1/2 but still one of her better works.

One Piece (01-33)
On second thought, One Piece probably has a better combination of action, story, and humour. But Get Backers is 10X more perverted.

Shaman King (01-30)
It's actually getting a bit stale with the power levels going crazy. But the story is interesting enough to barely make my top 10 list.

Shin Kotaro Makaritoru L (01-07)
A manga that is rarely known outside Asia. The 3rd installment to one of the best manga series ever. Oh, and ninjas rule.

Tsubasa (01-06)
I had my doubts at first but the story is progressing very nicely. I can't wait for the 7th volume and I'm glad they made adjustments to Shaoran's personality.

And BTW.. Pita Ten manga is nothing similar to the anime. It's much more mature with Shia playing a very different role; I highly recommand it.

Kimchi
2004-08-21, 23:40
1: Naruto
2: One piece
3: Shaman King
4:Rave Master
5:Rebirth (scanlations anyone?) sure hope its not licensed otherwise i get banned T.T
6:Fruit Basket
7:Evangelion
8: DBZ
9: DB
10: not sure xDDD :heh:

Edit: hahhahahahahaha this is what i did previously..

8:DBZ
9:DB

What it was supposed to be was...

8: DBZ - Dragon Ball Z
9: DB - Dragon Ball

Maceart
2004-12-19, 01:51
hunter x hunter is... crap the art gets worse and worse, and it looks like chicken scratches.
naruto is decent
20th century boys is freakin awesome

Utalks
2004-12-19, 04:04
I have the GA manga and well that's probably one of the best I have.
I have to agree that the Pita Ten manga is different from the anime and that the english translation of what Misha says quite bugs me though.

Yoska
2004-12-19, 15:51
The old thread resurrected :cool:.

One Piece
There's something I really love about in this very comic but I can't grasp it into words, it makes me laugh, excited and sad. Pretty much the only boys' series I adore above everything else, a warm home to return after getting enthusiastic over other great comics. It's selfish request but please let it continue another 35 long volumes.

Berserk
Even though it's not even over yet it's already a classic and for a good reason that is. The series has every thing you could wish from a fantasy tale and it's my particular base pillar when comparing different series. Although on the contrary to One Piece I wish the series would end during my life time :heh: .

Beck
I never could imagine I'd like a music series this quite a lot and I haven't even ever been heavily into music but this series makes me want to. Beck's a good balance of all aspects of story telling and it's hard to not to like it.

Zetman
If there's a tiny superhero sucker in you and all those superhero movies aren't enough for you then this little piece of art can save you from an embassament of buy expensive superhero costumes and slingshots. Zetman takes a Japanese approach on the subject and delivers some fine entertainment.

Mugen no Juunin
My favourite samurai showdown. It may not be the most realistic there is but at least it's the most classy, flashy and artsy of them all.

Real
Wheelchair basketball can be fun. Well, at least when it's done awesomely and here it is. One of the more thoughtful sport series and if you ask, it kicks Vagabond's butt.

Homunculus
Now here's an interesting work and honestly I'm not sure what to think about it, else than it's fantastic.

Himizu
It's all about characters and I would go so far and say this's a work of art. Either way the series catch me off guard and now I'm looking forward of getting introduced other series by the author.

20th Century Boys
All self-respecting comic lovers read this...

Saishu Heiki Kanojo
Another nice series I haven't finished. Pity though, perhaps someday I acquire the rest of the books.

Other worth of mentioning are Nausicaä, Akira and Nasu.

Mavurik
2004-12-26, 17:37
Can't believe it took 5 pages for someone to mention beck.

1) I's
2) Beck
3) Ichigo

then after that it doesn't matter

harryhung196
2005-01-03, 09:34
for those of you that like hxh and blackcat better watch out because the authors of these two have pretty bad records on finishing their comic (especially FJ) anyway, just a notice to proceed with care with these two comics
my personal favourites are (no order)
1. One piece
2. Kenshin (ended)
3. Le cirque de karakuri (a piece of art)
4. Ushio and Tora (ended, but a masterpiece)
5. Groove Adventure Rave
6. Hikaru no Go (ended, didnt like the ending)
7. School Rumble (hilarious)
8. Blackcat (used to like it, but the ending was bad!!!)
9. Negima (fanservice)
10. Ichigo 100% (fanservice)
11. Detective Conan (until vol. 10 then the plot just dragged)
12. Shaman King (same as blackcat)
13. Tenge Tenge (fanservice)
14. hokuto no ken (classic, bloodspattering not for kids)
15. Cityhunter (classic again)
16. Yakitake Japan (hilarious for those who get it)
17. Boy Hareluya (classic)
18. Dragonball Z, GT etc (dragged on for wayyy too long)
19. Hunter x Hunter (FJ style, proceed with caution)
20. yuyuhakusho (FJ mastrepiece vol.1-15, crap onwards)
21. Slamdunk (great sports comic)
22. Love hina (fanservice + hilarious)
23. I's (masterpiece, art)
24. Bleach
25. Doraemon (a kids classic if there is one, somehow rated 18+ in Taiwan)

Fighter Volk
2005-01-03, 22:51
Now that I've been reading more manga I can come up with a better list (though still not good enough). In no particular order:

Gantz (1-15) - screams original. You all know it.

20th Century Boys (1-17) - probably my favorite of Urasawa Naoki's works thus far

Monster (1-18) - one of the greatest stories ever told

Pluto (1) - the very promising newest manga from Urasawa Naoki

Death Note (1-4) - a manga about a psychological battle between two great minds - recent arc, however, has been pretty weak

One Piece (1-?) - a truly great shounen manga. You all know this one, too.

D. Grayman (1-2) - a really promising new shounen manga from new mangaka Hoshino Katsuri.

Bleach (1-15) - shoot me but I love it. The characters are great - it's their lovable quirkiness that keeps me going through the sometimes-mundane/average shounen plot, even though Bleach can hold its own at times (moments which have significantly increased in the Save Rukia arc)

Gun Blaze West (1-3) - I guess this is what one calls a guilty pleasure. Rejected manga from Kenshin's mangaka, canceled after 3 volumes, but it's a pure western and I have a soft spot for westerns

666 Satan (1-9) - shounen from Masashi Kishimoto's twin brother, though I definitely like it more than Naruto, because the quality has been steadily rising since volume 5

Cornel
2005-01-04, 00:26
I will try to make some order to the list.

1) Gantz
2) Blench
3) Evangelion
4) Full Metal Alchemist
5) Naruto
6) Ranma 1/2
7) Genshiken
8) Ichigo 100%
9) Mai Hime
10) Slayers

Other manga I read: Trigun (probably good series but haven't read it all), Negima, Love Hina, Golden Boy, 666, others that I've not read more than a few chapters. I can tell right away if i like a series or not.

Roots
2005-01-04, 01:32
These are my favorite series right now, all of which are currently being scanslated:

- Ichigo 100%
- Mai-HiME
- School Rumble
- Midori no Hibi (just read the final volume a couple days ago, thanks snoopy!)
- Yakitate Japan
- Hajime no Ippo
- Addicted to Curry
- Pastel
- 20th Century Boys

Lucky for me, I work as a translator/proofer for 3 of those series. :D

bbduece
2007-12-19, 10:23
in no particular order

bleach
naruto
gto
ai kora
parallel
pastel
I's
ichigo 100%
suzuka
full metal panic

Ita_Chan
2007-12-23, 22:37
1) Naruto
2) Kodocha
3) InuYasha
4) FullMetalAlchemist
5) Bleach

Nothing else in my main readers list <3

SilentHunter
2008-03-29, 20:21
My top 10 list in order :
1. Bersek
2. One Piece
3. Air Gear
4. Fairy Tail
5. Hajime no Ippo
6. Naruto
7. Pastel
8. Naruto
9. Bleach
10. Fullmetal Alchmist

I haven't read 20th-century Boys yet but i've heard good things though

Dingo
2008-03-30, 20:40
Would recommend the following:

Blade of the Immortal
Berserk
Ciguatera
The Hating Girl
Living Game
I`s
Koi Kaze
Deadman Wonderland
Kekkaishi*my favorite currently going shounen, sad though, not that well known.
Pastel*sweet shounen romance, great manga.Art isn't really all that but it gets the job done.

james0246
2008-03-30, 20:51
Most enjoyable currently being released Mangas:

Beserk
Gokusen
One Piece
Vagabond
Beck
Blade of the Immortal
Hajime no Ippo
Mahou Sensei Negima!
Pluto
Fairy Tale

kayos
2008-03-30, 20:56
Berserk
Air Gear
Tenjho Tenge
3x3 eyes
Yotsubato
Welcome to NHK
xxxHOLIC
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Hellsing
Blade of the Immortal

skyablaze
2008-03-31, 07:44
My favs so far have been

Berserk
Gantz
MPD Psycho
Vagabond
Monster
Blame!
NHK ni Yokoso (Welcome to the NHK)
Death Note
Dogs Bullets & Carnage
Deadman Wonderland

chubs
2008-12-22, 02:15
Anyone here heard of Katekyo hitman reborn, you should check it out its a really good manga and its still being released.

ganbaru
2008-12-22, 04:39
Saikano
Gunslinger Girl
Monster
Mushishi
AzumangaDaioh
Yotsubato
Battle angel Alita
Battle angel Alita Last Order
Ichigo mashimaro