AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > totoum

Notices

Conversation Between totoum and 0utf0xZer0
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 117
  1. totoum
    2015-05-06 14:08
    totoum
    the discussion you had with archon abot asian girls reminded me of this .
    My dayjob involves me seeing the passports of people so I get to know their age. Just the other day a 40 year old chinese woman came by and I honestly thought she was 25 when she walked in
  2. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-09-30 15:06
    0utf0xZer0
    (Also sent this to Triple_R and Pocari, figured I'd add you as well.)

So I tried to come up with a personal top ten list, but that seemed hard. But that was hard so I decided to try and do a personal top five. Which is still hard because I can't decided whether I liked Shin Sekai Yori enough to overcome by nostalgia for and tendency to fanboy about Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu.

But the four shows that easily made the cut were... three Shaft shows (Moon Phase, EF: A Tale of Memories and Bakemonogatari) and Hyouka.

I feel like there's a witty self-deprecating quip that needs to be made here but I can't quite place it.
  3. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-05-20 00:07
    0utf0xZer0
    So I've been thinking a bit recently about how I like to watch the occassional trashy harem show, and I got thinking about how some people complain harem shows never really follow through on their premise (ie. the guy ends up choosing one girl or there's no sex or whatever).

And it occured to me that maybe the reason for that is becuase most writers and fans of the genre tend to approach it in a tongue in cheek manner: the premise isn't treated that seriously because nobody involved takes the fantasy itself that seriously. In contrast to romance anime about couples, which many of the same fans do take seriously.

It kind of reminds me of a blog post I read where one guy said that he tended to like eroge about "bright colours, happy school days, predictable and yet amusing situations, one nice guy being dragged around by lots of cute girls"... as opposed to, you know, actual ero content. I'm not opposed to some ero, but I feel that he captured the mindset of me and perhaps an awful lot of other fans as well.

Do you have any thoughts on this?
  4. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-04-15 00:25
    0utf0xZer0
    Last year Atsuko Ishizuka had a panel at Sakuracon, and I didn't go because I didn't realize she was the director of Sakurasou.

I'm only going to be able to attend for a limited amount of time this year, but is there anyone on this list you think I should aim to try and see?
    http://www.sakuracon.org/programming/guests.php
    (REALLY hoping to get into ELISA's concert since my girlfriend and I are such huge EF fans)
  5. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-03-17 03:10
    0utf0xZer0
    I'm not sure if you noticed, but Aiko appears in the True Tears/Hanasaku Iroha/Tari Tari crossover video that PA Works did.

Tomoe, unless I missed something, does not. PA Works you f***ers.
  6. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-01-29 18:49
    0utf0xZer0
    I have an anime buddy who is a good ten years older than me and has mentioned we should watch Key at some point, might be a good opportunity.

Good point on the runtimes. And I think Galaxy Angel is a particularly good suggestion, I've gotten the impression before that it was pretty notable for its time.

Though a couple shows I really want to include are full length episodes: To Heart, for fairly obvious reasons. And Sister Princess, because a) it's an imouto show from 2001 and b) I seem to recall someone writing a message to ANN that could be summed up as "I'm the kind of guy who buys shows like Sister Princess, do I make your blood boil?"
  7. totoum
    2014-01-29 12:54
    totoum
    Well if you're short on time the good news is this: check the runtime of these shows , these past few years have seen a revival of the 5-15 min format but it was actually around for a while around the turn of the century, here's another example (which I found interesting because while today there's plenty of gags where the girl will hit the guy for no real good reason, here she does have valid reasons, makes me wonder if there was an evolution). Or another one
    One of the most iconic shows that used the 15 minute format was Galaxy Angels, there's a few things I find quite interesting: first of all it was successful back in the day and had 4 seasons but is really forgotten today (#1462 on MAL's popularity ranking) , you hardly see it suggested to people who came into anime after it aired unlike say azumanga daioh (#105 on MAL).
    But what I really find interesting about it is this trivia from TV tropes

TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I've seen a lot of people call cute girls doing cute things shows "harems without the male lead" and this one literally is! Though Galaxy Angels is more wacky girls doing wacky things.

I'm not sure if this is helping you any,I'm just rambling

I think your best bet is using the anidb calendar to look at the lineup of a season and pretend it's the upcoming season and pick a show like you would today, here's spring 2000 for example.

I do want to make a recommendation though as a "moe historian", I'd love to have your opinion on Key:the metal idol , it's gonna turn 20 soon and while it's not a household name it was critically acclaimed at the time and I think Key was kind of a "Rei clone" before Rei even existed.

And lastly as a bonus this wonderfull quote from the end of this ANN editorial from 2003 about azumanga daioh:

Quote:
    I'd honestly be surprised if it picks up a new wave of anime fans. Shows focused on humour like Kodocha may do that, but not something so culturally focused like AzuDai.
  8. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-01-28 17:01
    0utf0xZer0
    I'm curious as to if you have any other insights on early moe stuff. Most accounts I see tend to focus on a few key shows like To Heart, Kanon 2002, and Azumanga, plus what people found moe about characters in shows like CCS and Eva. But the shows produced by that Pony Canyon label makes me think that the label was home to a lot of ecchi/harem 10-15 years back, and people just don't find most of it worth remembering. I do know that Abenobashi made fun of moe elements way back in 2002.

I'm actually kind of tempted to dig up and watch some of that stuff just to see what it can contribute to the "should harem/ecchi shows be considered moe" debate, but I don't really have the time these days. About the only really old moe stuff - let's say maybe pre-04/05 - I've watched is Azumanga and Yamibou, which is a pretty narrow sample.
  9. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-01-27 23:43
    0utf0xZer0
    I didn't catch it from the camera gear, but him talking in the comments about why he prefers Premiere Pro to FCP X and using a 15 inch retina MBP suggested to me that he might have experience in the field. I maybe should have caught it from the camera, considering that on the stills side I definitely notice the difference between the photos I get from my Lumix LX7 and those that come from lesser point and shoots.

Yeah, I think you creatives have it easier there, as do people in some IT areas. One guy I know from the local anime scene worked for a Seattle area IT startup for a while - Microsoft money, basically - and said his desk at work contained, in addition to his work computer, a drawer of green tea, a Yotsuba calender, and a display case containing some of his anime figures.
  10. totoum
    2014-01-27 19:55
    totoum
    Fair enough, the "pretentious" part to me came more the visual presentation , looks like he's got a dlsr and a mini steadicam, makes his vid look a lot more pro than a lot of anime youtubers out there.

I'm afraid I can't give you any advice though, see I work in video editing and the video production industry tends to be pretty loose so there's no real issue when I mention anime.When I've done more corporate work the people working for the company sort of just brush off any "eccentricities" (like anime) as this being normal because I'm a "creative".