AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > 0utf0xZer0

Notices

Conversation Between 0utf0xZer0 and Guardian Enzo
Showing Visitor Messages 51 to 60 of 78
  1. 0utf0xZer0
    2012-07-10 01:04
    0utf0xZer0
    Question: Do you think PA Works' a"convincingness" in Tari Tari is in part the result of it being an original production? Granted, Hyouka is an adaptation and also nails it, but my personal feeling is that Kyoto's been developing the "touch" that makes Hyouka work over a very long time. And as impressive as the "touch" they brought to Kanon and the second season of K-On was, I'm not sure I've ever seen them quite as on their game as they are with Hyouka.

On the flip side... when I think about it, Oonuma actually tends to be pretty convincing as his best, which for me would be EF and the better episodes of Dusk Maiden (ep3 + a few in the second half). Both of which interestingly enough have some storyline changes, quite a few of which are not all that well liked by fans (though I hear many anime-first EF fans tend to prefer the anime version of Renji and Chihiro's story to the original VN version).

Edit: Also, I don't know if you saw when I mentioned it to Pocari_Sweat, but I think the "self inspection" gag in Kokoro Connection episode 1 would have been far funnier if it was the girl doing the self inspection.
  2. Guardian Enzo
    2012-03-11 00:48
    Guardian Enzo
    The real Karuta is cuter...

Indeed, this is a hard show to describe. I wasn't impressed at first, but it sort of wormed its way into my consciousness after a while, in part because it reminded me of the underrated classic Petopeto-san, though it really isn't all that similar in the end. It just makes me laugh at the stupidest things, and I can't get enough of Karuta and Watanuki. I still don't care for Soushi and especially for his relationship with Ririchiyo, but it's not a deal breaker.

What genre is it? Who's the target audience? I honestly have no idea. I think there are definitely people on Otome Road watching this show, even if most of the service is Ririchiyo-based.
  3. 0utf0xZer0
    2012-03-10 21:20
    0utf0xZer0
    Re: Inu x Boku SS:
    I recently recommended the show to Vexx and had the exact same problem with not being able to explain why I liked it.

I also have to say that the show really challenges classification into traditional audience demographics, since most of the fanservice seems male-oriented by then there's, well, Miketsukami. And his apparent past employment with Kage. The reaction of some of my anime buddies to the early episodes was amusing to watch in this regard, though they seem to be used to it now (and a couple of us were non-phased from the beginning, including me).

As a little side note, I've already seen one Inu x Boku SS cosplay at a local event:
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=13zom4j&s=5

Kind of wish I had access to a camera that could do shallow depth of field, my preference is actually to shoot cosplayers against a suitable backdrop but this is one of those cases where it just wasn't possible. And even some of the ones where I did have a nice backdrop could have probably used a bit of DOF.
  4. Guardian Enzo
    2012-02-26 12:24
    Guardian Enzo
    Well, honestly I don't see all that much otaku pandering in the original LE, but if there is it's sure tiny compared to what's in Fam. But really, the otaku pandering isn't the big problem - Fam herself isn't the big problem. Bad writing is the big problem.
  5. 0utf0xZer0
    2012-02-26 04:19
    0utf0xZer0
    Dropped my "pretentious moe scholar" take on Fam. Not sure if it'll surprise you to learn I think it's as bad as everyone else (despite my early goodwill to the series), though I do worry that my pointing out all the ways in which the original actually did have a decent amount of otaku pandering is going to result in "can't unsee" for some.

Also, is it just me or did this little bit of cosplay photography turn out pretty cool regardless of having to darken the dark bits because the real scene wasn't that contrasty?
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=r8hw1u&s=5
  6. Guardian Enzo
    2012-01-05 12:46
    Guardian Enzo
    Well, Infinite Stratos was distinctly average in my book, not like I loved it (though I did like "Charles" an awful lot). And I did like S;G much better than MPD. Just curious, dd you like Tamayura a lot?

I certainly consider my tastes to be character first - that's the most important element for me.
  7. 0utf0xZer0
    2012-01-05 04:20
    0utf0xZer0
    I'm actually thinking of voting Shingo (Mashiroiro) for best MC, which will probably come across as less surprising after reading the rest of the post.

Anyway, there's some overlap between our tastes, but I think we reach it from different sides. I've generally pegged you as an anime fan whose taste tends to be fairly sophisticated, but you enjoy guilty pleasure shows on the side. Whereas I'm primarily a moe fan, particularly of the reflective, sappy kind of moe seen in some visual novel adaptations. However, I also happens to also like sophistication and tension (remember, I did watch Game of Thrones) in my plots, with EF, Kurenai and Iriya no Sora being cases where the interests overlap.

This results in a few differences: first, I'm often more character or pairing focused than show focused - I didn't title myself "pretentious moe scholar" for no reason. Weirdly enough, one of the better examples I can think of this was a rare case where I think I was harder on a show than you: Infinite Stratos, which I felt seriously failed to capitalize on its best character. Second, it means that my taste tends to be "more Hanasaku Iroha or Steins;Gate than Penguin Drum (though Wandering Son managed to rank very high for me), more Charlotte than Ringo", even though I'm actually a fan of both Penguin Drum and Ringo in particular. It's just that this year a few shows that won over fans like you -Steins;Gate and Ikoku Meiro in particular, but Kamisama Dolls too to an extent - also happen to appeal to my tastes.

P.S. I agree that Enma-Kun should be the de facto winner for best ecchi this year.
  8. Guardian Enzo
    2012-01-05 03:33
    Guardian Enzo
    Actually, male MC was the tough one for me this year - I had to leave three off the list that really pained me (Okabe, Jintan and Nitorin). Ohana sort of wore out her welcome with me pretty quickly, TBH. Too static a character in many ways.

I hadn't really thought about our angles being all that different, as we seem to agree on a lot of things. What do you see as my "angle"?
  9. 0utf0xZer0
    2012-01-05 03:24
    0utf0xZer0
    You know, given how different our "angles" within the fandom are, I'm amused how many choices in the 2011 Awards are things that will probably end up on my nomination if I get time to do one, simply because of Kamisama Dolls and Ikoku Meiro.

Best female characters is going to be brutal for me though, simply due to Yune v. Ohana.
  10. Guardian Enzo
    2011-12-17 12:22
    Guardian Enzo
    I agree, that's a wondrous little series. Criminally underappreciated.