AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > 0utf0xZer0

Notices

Conversation Between 0utf0xZer0 and Triple_R
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 521
  1. 0utf0xZer0
    2016-06-16 02:20
    0utf0xZer0
    I'm doing fairly well. Contingent on some formalities I'll be starting a new job in September. It's only for a year but it pays well and there's a possibility of being hired back. I also have a cosplay event this weekend and will be spending a few days in Washington D.C. later this month.

That said I'm surprised how stressful I'm finding preparing for the job. First, because I want to avoid working weekends and that means figuring out how to maximize the time I can spend at the office during the week. Second, because while I have one good suit I suddenly need an actual business wardrobe. I don't know much about that kind of thing and the amount of money involved is stressful. Not because I can't afford it, but because I'm not used to handling it.

As for spring 2016 anime, I'm still loving the SoL trio of Flying Witch, Sansha Sanyou and Tanaka-kun. Re:Zero's second arc built up some really good momentum as it went but didn't land the ending quite as well as I would have liked, still love the show on the whole though. Macross Delta is the other way around, I'm not as into the show as you and Darth on the whole (even if I still like it) but episode 11 hit it out of the park. Thoughts on the rest will have to wait until I have some time.
  2. Triple_R
    2016-06-13 20:28
    Triple_R
    How's it going? Been awhile since we last chatted.

I hope things have been good for you and your girlfriend.

I'd also be curious to hear what your favorite Spring 2016 anime shows are with only an episode or two to go for many shows.
  3. Triple_R
    2016-05-22 00:32
    Triple_R
    I've now watched Episode 1, 1.5, and 2 of Re-Zero. I see why you like the show, but really, the male lead is awfully slow on the uptake for someone that seems to pride himself on being genre saavy.

I mean...

Spoiler for Re-Zero spoilers:

The overall setting and other characters are interesting though. Probably the show's saving grace for me.
  4. 0utf0xZer0
    2016-05-21 19:18
    0utf0xZer0
    Quote:
    In any event, yeah - Lack of romance (for a VN adaptation), and male lead kept almost entirely in a support role are probably the two major issues here sales-wise.
    Ao Rhythm doesn't really stick to the classic VN formula in that regard, but I'm not sure how much it hurt the show. If you want a VN adaptation with REALLY abysmal sales, Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete's highest selling volume managed just 419 copies and to me Ushinawareta came about as close to being a classic style VN adaptation as you get these days.

Beyond that, Daitoshokan no Hitsuji did 788 and Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya o Mezasu failed to chart, which suggests less than 1K to me. Grisaia (4220 units) is really the only VN adaptation targetting male audiences to make it big the last couple years without a pedigree (ie. Fate, Little Busters, Utawarerumono).

(Hence why I'm glad to see Hyouka broke the 10K barrier in bluray rerelease. With how bad the VN adaptation sector looks, it's nice to see a bright spot elsewhere.)

One thing I do think was damaging was the weak opener. Ao Rhythem's second volume had a better first week (1076 units) than the first (1003) which is pretty rare and suggests some buyers didn't get on board until the end of the series.

The opener had a couple flaws - the simplified version of flying circus doesn't look nearly as spectacular as the full version we see later, and the visuals of the flying circus scenes are one of the show's great strengths. Heck, we don't even get to see proper flying suits. Nor did the characters seem that developed early on.

As for what I think of the series as a whole, I love it because it corrects those mistakes. The actually flying circus game looks great and is a lot of fun to watch - I'm not sure all the tactics used make sense, but I also didn't really care. And the characters get better over time, particularly Misaki. Heck, Mashiro actually becomes kind of bearable after the episode focusing on her and Hinata.
  5. Triple_R
    2016-05-18 17:25
    Triple_R
    Great replies to recent RRRound Table threads. Thank you for them.

I am really curious to hear more on your take on Ao No Kanata no Four Rhythm, and what I wrote about it. By the way, it's already aging well for me. I've softened on some of my issues with Four Rhythm's finale, and I think it was a very good sports anime overall with some well-done moe.
  6. Triple_R
    2016-04-21 00:37
    Triple_R
    Now through 10 episodes of Ao No Kanata no Four Rhythm.

I still like the show a lot, but some of the major plot directions taken since Episode 7 are at least questionable to me. I see the pros and cons to them. They probably make for a more intense and thorough sports anime, but they've also made the show less fun for me. Perhaps it'll lead into a final payoff in Episodes 11/12 that's all worth it. A few more short thoughts in spoiler space below.

Spoiler for Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm spoilers:
  7. Triple_R
    2016-04-20 11:16
    Triple_R
    Now 6 episodes into Ao No Kanata no Four Rhythm.

This is definitely one show that greatly exceeds first impressions. After 6 episodes, I have to consider this show an excellent sports anime. Very compelling and fun and emotionally rich sports anime here.

Spoiler for Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm thoughts:
  8. Triple_R
    2016-04-18 23:57
    Triple_R
    I recently watched the 2nd and 3rd episodes of Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm. After watching them, I have a different idea on why Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm didn't sell better:

Spoiler for Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm spoilers:

Episode 2 was pretty good, and Episode 3 was loads of fun. "Everyday" flying in the show is kinda dull, but the in-match action is very good and solid.
  9. Triple_R
    2016-04-14 21:33
    Triple_R
    I liked Sansha Sanyou Episode 1 more than I did Anne Happy Episode 1. However, I also liked Anne Happy's 2nd episode more than I did it's 1st. So it's a tough call until I see Sansha Sanyou's 2nd episode. So far, I'd give SS a slight edge.

Anne Happy has very good comedy overall, and made me laugh more than SS has. But you're right that SS feels warmer (probably due to a realism edge). Bakuon is pretty much the best of both worlds, though, so it's my favorite of the SoL/"cute girls" 2016 shows so far.

On the topic of Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm... Between you and Kona, I've now been convinced to give it a 2nd chance. I intend to tell you my take on it after I've watched more of it.

Oh, and I also checked out the first episode of Bungou Stray Dogs, thanks to what you wrote on it at RRRound Table. Very good 1st episode. Yes, like you said, it's smooth. My only criticism is that it might have relied just a little too heavily on flashbacks, but aside from that, very smooth. Seamless blend of comedy with serious storytelling.
  10. 0utf0xZer0
    2016-04-14 20:00
    0utf0xZer0
    Quote:
    Between Bakuon, Flying Witch, Anne Happy, and Sansha Sanyou, this is shaping up to be a very good Spring 2016 season for SoL/"cute girls" shows. Bakuon is probably my favorite of those 4 so far, but Sansha Sanyou is probably 2nd out of that list for me.
    I was wondering how it would compare to Anne Happy for you. I liked Sansha Sanyou better - I like the show's "warmth" - but wonder if my low evaluations for Anne Happy have had an element of self fulfilling prophecy to them because I went into that show expecting it's bizarre sense of humour to come at the expense of connection to the characters. By contrast, I went into Sansha Sanyou with little in the way of expectations either way and came out highly impressed.

One other thing that surprised me about the show - it's based on a manga that has been running since January 2003. It actually predates Lucky Star and Hidamari Sketch, which got their adaptations nine years ago. If I had to speculate why it's being adapted now, it's by the same mangaka as Engaged to the Unidentified, the 2014 adaptation of which sold fairly well.

Quote:
    I only watched an episode of it. From what I can recall, it's because the lead girl really annoyed me.
    Quote:
    Well, another thing I didn't like about it's first episode is that it somehow made flying look strangely dull to me - This being something that Flying Witch did much better with its first episode, imo.
    IMO, it's one of those shows that gets better as it goes. I had similar complaints about the opener, but thought the "Flying Circus" scenes got better later on. Asuka annoyed me less once she started to gain some skill and share screentime with other girls (though Mashiro can also be annoying) too.