AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > 0utf0xZer0

Notices

Conversation Between 0utf0xZer0 and Triple_R
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 379
  1. Triple_R
    2014-06-26 19:33
    Triple_R
    I've been enjoying Brynhildr all the way through - It's not one of my top tier shows of the Spring 2014 season, but it's been a solid keeper - But I do see what you're saying. Thinking back on it, I did take the show pretty seriously in its first half, but have found it harder to do so over the last few episodes.

The show has built up a pretty good narm charm identity, in my view, but it probably could have been more tense and gripping if it had wanted to be. It's kind of like a Hollywood movie that could have been A-list but sort of settles for being an above average B-list popcorn flick.
  2. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-06-26 02:38
    0utf0xZer0
    Wrote this on Pocari's wall, interested if you've been feeling the same way:

Quote:
    Brynhildr was looking like 2014 favourites list material for me and still might end up there but the second half definitely hasn't matched up to the first... the first half had some really tense moments that reminded me of why Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu remains on my all time favourites list after so long. However, a couple recent "wham" moments just came across as, uh... ham fisted and flat. And it really drags the show down.
    Also... Infinite Stratos's first season, Unbreakable Machine Doll and now Seikoku no Dragonar - apparently, the only thing it take to make me like fanservicy action harems with so-so plots is for the main character to have decent chemistry with the blonde. And I'm not even that attracted to blondes in real life.
  3. Triple_R
    2014-05-24 22:06
    Triple_R
    I think that you and your girlfriend as Tsumugu and Chisaki would work great, actually. Well, as long as you can develop a decent poker face (if you don't already have one). Please share with me a pic of the two of you once you do that cosplay. I know I haven't responded to your most recent cosplay pics and con updates, but I do read them, and find them nicely informative.

I'm glad to know you achieved good marks.
  4. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-05-24 03:35
    0utf0xZer0
    Finished the year with decent marks, now doing some program related volunteer work to bolster my resume - there's still a chance I may land a summer job but it's kind of slim, I would've thought I'd have heard back by now.

I haven't been on AS much because there hasn't been much schoolwork to procrastinate on. Been spending more time going to events, playing multiplayer games (and practice matches) etc. Also, I cannot believe how utterly horrible I am about getting up and going in the morning when I don't actually have to be up for something. If I actually do get around to trying to work on my novel this summer, it's going to take a lot more discipline then I've mustered so far.

My girlfriend convinced me I should try to - or rather, let her try and put together a Tsumugu cosplay to go with her Chisaki. I suppose I may need to rope my brother into taking some photos. I may also need to get a wig - I have brown hair but I don't want to grow it out that long.
  5. Triple_R
    2014-05-22 13:51
    Triple_R
    Long time, no hear. Been busy lately? Things going well, I hope?
  6. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-04-11 00:35
    0utf0xZer0
    I think that highlighting your actual concerns there was a good call... the discussion really did need some refocusing IMO.
  7. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-04-10 23:09
    0utf0xZer0
    Gochuumen wa Usagi Desu Ka? is a wonderful show. At least if you're into the moe-moe slice of life comedu schtick it's aiming for.
  8. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-04-10 03:13
    0utf0xZer0
    Last Sinner beat me to it about why Brynhildr is compared to Elfen Lied... I'll just add this is one reason I'm expecting it to have more substance than it's let on so far.

Wixoss was actually the first new show I watched, and I'm afraid I wasn't quite as positive on the first episode as you. The dread and foreboding was too unsubtle for my taste. This wasn't like Madoka where Kyuubey wasn't up front with the girls and seduced them with the old justice, frills and sweets pitch - I kept wondering what was wrong with the protagonist that she's gung ho about a game so obviously creepy. I think it's going to take the show staking something on her victory to really get me involved.

I did finally get around to samplying Akuma no Riddle and enjoyed it immensely. I'm not normally nearly as big a yuri fan as you, but Tokako and Haru are exactly the kind of "hard and soft" yuri ship that's my favourite (remember, I used to ship Kanbaru and Nadeko!) and it looks like it's going to essentially be them facing off with a bunch of batshit nuts girls in an over the top fashion. Glorious.

I also saw Hitsugi no Chaika today, and like Black Bullet I have to say it's a solid if hardly mind blowing entry into this season's action show pool. One downside: Chaika'smanner of speaking is a double edged sword, it's cute but also makes her come across as rather dumb.
  9. Triple_R
    2014-04-09 08:04
    Triple_R
    I still have a fair bit of catching up to do with the new Spring 2014 shows.

What I've seen so far is Akuma no Riddle, Love Live! Season 2, Captain Earth, WIXOSS, and Brynhildr in the Darkness. Of these five, Brynhildr in the Darkness is the only one you mentioned to me, so we'll start with that.

I found it unintentionally hilarious. I mean, they present Ryota as the super-practical super-serious guy, but there's something I just find silly about him. I mean, he is a massive risk-taker in ways that are pretty amazing. I read people compare this anime to Elfen Lied of all things, so I have my doubts that this comedy I'm seeing is intentional (so I'm tentatively calling it unintentional). Kuroneko (haha!) is no less silly than Ryuto is, but it's pretty clear she's supposed to be that way. She is amusing.

I have to admit that I'm a bit skeptical of shows like this. Nerdy male lead and strange mysterious "girlfriend" - That's been so done to death in anime it makes incest look like a novelty. They're going to have to do something pretty different with this show to make this heavily used concept work for me. And I suppose the Elfen Lied comparisons could be promising that way.

Akuma no Riddle I enjoy a lot on a shits and giggles level. Having two characters that look almost exactly like Kyouko and Sayaka definitely appeals to me as a Madoka Magica fan (the fact that "Kyouko" eats pocky and "Sayaka" wields blades makes it that much sweeter). Aside from that, the show has the same "crazy cool" sensibility as Dangaronpa, Mirai Nikki, and Umineko - And while that can seem a bit lowbrow at times, I also find it highly amusing. Throw yuri on top of all of this, and this show is the one of the season that will probably get me smirking the most. Worst-case scenario is probably "Guilty Pleasure" but time will tell if it rises above that for me.

While Akuma no Riddle is the show with some superficial similarities to Madoka, it's WIXOSS that captures the spirit of Madoka the best, imo (at least after an episode). So of these shows, the one I most recommend you check out is WIXOSS. It does dark and foreboding really well, imo. I'm not a big fan of the "children's card games" shows myself, but this one may be an exception for me. And hey, it's wrote by Okada!

Captain Earth - To me, it's like an unusual blend of Space Bros. with Star Driver so far.

And you already know what I think of Love Live! The 2nd season looks just as good as the first so far.

After I've watched some more anime shows, I'll give you my take on them as well, if you want.
  10. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-04-09 03:46
    0utf0xZer0
    I know its pretty early on, but have you flagged any potential frontrunners so far?

For me, Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii shows the most promise so far. I also thought Black Bullet and Kanojo ga Flag o Orarertara had pretty good starting episodes but I'm less sure they're going to have staying power as they tend towards the guilty pleasure side of my tastes. At the other end of the spectrum, I wasn't a huge fan of the openers for Brynhildr in the Darkness or One Week Friends but I have a hunch they're going to get stronger as they go.