AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > 0utf0xZer0

Notices

Conversation Between 0utf0xZer0 and Triple_R
Showing Visitor Messages 11 to 20 of 466
  1. 0utf0xZer0
    2015-04-29 02:17
    0utf0xZer0
    Spoiler for Fate/Zero, FSN, UBW to episode 15:
  2. Triple_R
    2015-04-28 19:09
    Triple_R
    I'm now fully caught up on UBW.

IIRC, you said that Episode 15 was the one that had a big impact on you? I can see why. They did a good job of building up the Illya/Berserker connection before, well, you know.
  3. Triple_R
    2015-04-27 21:44
    Triple_R
    I'm now through 14 episodes of UBW 2014/15. I have a lot to say about it in the first spoiler space below. After that, will be a 2nd spoiler space replying to your 2nd last VM to me.

Spoiler for UBW 2014/15:

Spoiler for Reply to your last VM to me:

Well... that went long. Hope you don't mind.

I look forward to hearing back from you on all of this.
  4. 0utf0xZer0
    2015-04-26 00:43
    0utf0xZer0
    Take your time if you need to, I probably won't actually read it until after Tuesday's exam.
  5. Triple_R
    2015-04-25 21:47
    Triple_R
    I'm now through 11 episodes of UBW Season 1. After I've finished watching UBW Season 1 (which I intend to do tomorrow), I'll give you my take on it here, while also replying to your latest VM to me.

Thanks for getting me back into the show. It's a very good show for a semi-marathoning approach (watching in 2-to-4 episode chunks per sitting). Some episodes are pretty slow, and some episodes are almost all-action, so watching in this chunks approach does create a more balanced feeling.
  6. 0utf0xZer0
    2015-04-25 15:07
    0utf0xZer0
    It's hard for me to say a lot about what I thought of UBW 1-7 at this point since I watched them about six months and given that I have an exam Tuesday I'm not really going to try. But I will try and respond to a few of your points.

Spoiler for UBW 1-7:
  7. Triple_R
    2015-04-24 12:33
    Triple_R
    I'm now through 7 episodes of UBW Season 1. I've watched Episodes 4 through 7 over the past two days. Thoughts in spoiler space below.

Spoiler for UBW thoughts, up to Episode 7:
  8. Triple_R
    2015-04-22 18:53
    Triple_R
    I'll probably be watching more Plastic Memories after tonight's Habs-Sens game, just so you know. Only exception will be if the game goes into Double Overtime, or something like that.

I'll try to get back to you on it, your last VM to me, and UBW later on.
  9. 0utf0xZer0
    2015-04-22 15:00
    0utf0xZer0
    Quote:
    I watched the first episode of Plastic Memories. It's not bad, exactly, but you know the common critique about anime often being "emotionally manipulative"? I'm usually on the side of that debate arguing against that criticism, but with Plastic Memories... Honestly, it does feel a bit too obvious to me that they're trying to get the viewer to cry.
    I'm relatively optomistic on this front - episodes 2 and 3 are much more low key and melancholic than episode 1 was.

Quote:
    In a way, I also found Episode 1 a bit self-defeating. What I mean is that the ethical dilemma to the somewhat short AI lifespan is made so brutally clear in this episode that I really ask myself why people are tolerating it. Is there a good reason why it's 10 years, and not 50, or 70? If the AI lifespan was 50 or higher, people could at least say "Well, they're not far off us humans anyway", which would be a fair point. 10 years for a human-level intelligence seems cruelly short to me.
    When I read this, I got the mental image of some Japanese writer lamenting how slow his five year old PC is because it's Windows install is all gunked up, wondered if AIs could suffer from the same issue and deciding to write a moe anime about it.

Back when episode 1 aired a lot of people were speculating the 10 year lifespan is intended to induce artificial scarcity, based on what we've seen subsequently I'm not sure that's the case.

Quote:
    As for Owari no Seraph... Keep in mind I liked Eren. For a change of pace. "Ball of anger" male leads aren't my favorite kind of character, but I'll take them over Gary Stus and (most) doormats.
    Eren himself is fine in my book - he fits with AoT's "viscerally grim" tone. But I tend not to be optimistic about such characters avoiding the "dourness trap". (Not that this is the only characters type that can suffer from this, I think part of the reason I enjoyed you taking the piss out of Tatsuya in your Christmas fanfic is that Mahouka took him so seriously. At least in the few episodes I watched.)

Quote:
    But in any event, as I conceded after Episode 3, Yu's actually more like Edward Elric. Which we can probably both agree is a good thing. I would take a more balanced character like Elric over a pure "ball of anger" like Eren.
    Episode 3 didn't impress me quite as much as episodes 1 and 2 did, I felt that Yu's fight with the demon didn't have the intense sense of struggle that made the fights in episode 1 and 2 so great.

Guessing you haven't had time to catch up on Unlimited Blade Works yet?
  10. Triple_R
    2015-04-22 08:01
    Triple_R
    I watched the first episode of Plastic Memories. It's not bad, exactly, but you know the common critique about anime often being "emotionally manipulative"? I'm usually on the side of that debate arguing against that criticism, but with Plastic Memories... Honestly, it does feel a bit too obvious to me that they're trying to get the viewer to cry.

In a way, I also found Episode 1 a bit self-defeating. What I mean is that the ethical dilemma to the somewhat short AI lifespan is made so brutally clear in this episode that I really ask myself why people are tolerating it. Is there a good reason why it's 10 years, and not 50, or 70? If the AI lifespan was 50 or higher, people could at least say "Well, they're not far off us humans anyway", which would be a fair point. 10 years for a human-level intelligence seems cruelly short to me.

As for Owari no Seraph... Keep in mind I liked Eren. For a change of pace. "Ball of anger" male leads aren't my favorite kind of character, but I'll take them over Gary Stus and (most) doormats.

But in any event, as I conceded after Episode 3, Yu's actually more like Edward Elric. Which we can probably both agree is a good thing. I would take a more balanced character like Elric over a pure "ball of anger" like Eren.