AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > 0utf0xZer0

Notices

Conversation Between 0utf0xZer0 and Triple_R
Showing Visitor Messages 11 to 20 of 405
  1. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-11-04 04:02
    0utf0xZer0
    http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=123

Seriously, can you think of any Hisaya series where a guy goes for a girl who wasn't acting a bit strange in the first scene where they interact? I can't, even Takeshi/Mayuko is introduced that way.
  2. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-10-28 02:20
    0utf0xZer0
    Finally tried out the Psycho-Pass 2 - yes, I know I'm late, but I figured since I'd probably end up watching it with friends eventually and never enjoyed the original as much as Fate/Zero and Madoka, I'd concentrate on the new shows to start.

And based solely on the opening episode... wow, I love the direction they appear to be taking the show. I may well end up liking it significantly more than the original. I also love the direction they've taken Tsunemori - she was likeable in the original, but the "nerves of steel" she's gained make her much more distinctive and memorable IMO.
  3. Triple_R
    2014-10-21 06:58
    Triple_R
    That definitely is a lovely and very well-drawn pic. Thanks for sharing!
  4. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-10-21 02:00
    0utf0xZer0
    Re: Zankyou no Terror and Death Note - it's not just Konakaga, I got a similar... 'vibe" from them if you will as well.

Also, I'm normally nowhere near as big a yuri fan as you but I totally dig this pic:
    http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=43168292
  5. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-10-17 21:27
    0utf0xZer0
    I remember Nanoha being called the Gurren Lagann of magical girl shows back in the day (definitely pre-PMMM). Granted, that was partly intended to counter critics writing it off as a lolicon show, but part of the reason it gained traction is many of us saw it as a very astute comparison.

I really liked Yuki Yuuna's second episode myself. First was a bit of a miss - and while I hate to do the PMMM comparison, that's mainly because of a lack of dramatic foreshadowing early on. I honestly expected something Slice of Life-ish.

I do like the visuals a lot - even the way the girls sometimes go spinning off into the air when hit (which kind of reminds me of Super Smash Brothers...).

I also have to make note of one of the episode 2 transformations - at first watch I felt it was excessively servicy, but then I realized it has some symbolic value that kind of makes up for it.

I do agree this will probably be much bright than PMMM though I wouldn't be surprised if i goes some fairly dark places along the way.

Re: Trinity Seven: I largely agree with your general assessment of episode 2. But I also feel that it's position on my list is kind of insecure. Because Ore Twintails ni Narimasu, while pretty silly on the whole, is a much more fun show. And also incredibly self aware.

I'm surprised how many strong late season launches and second episode better than first cases I've seen this season... it's gone from being a season I was pretty meh on to one I'm pretty pumped for.
  6. Triple_R
    2014-10-17 21:11
    Triple_R
    I just commented on the Yuki Yuna series thread, by the way. Ironic - I'm one of the few there that didn't bring up Madoka Magica on the thread itself.
  7. Triple_R
    2014-10-17 07:02
    Triple_R
    Yes, it is very relevant to my interests. Thanks for promoting it to me. You and one other long-time AS friend did so (the other person via PMs). I'm thankful for both of you, since it's rare I'm promoted to immediately drop everything and get a new anime ASAP. But I did so in this case because I received two unambiguous promotions from people who know my anime tastes well.

I only had a chance to watch Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru Episode 1 this morning, but after work today I'll try to squeeze in Episode 2. After that, I'll comment on the series thread itself.

But I'll say this, so far, looking at the anime industry bigger picture:

It's going to happen. I was doubtful after VRO and Gen'ei, but not now. One day they are going to make the "Gurren Lagann" to Madoka Magica's "NGE". I don't think this new show is it (but it's close, and might yet pull it off), but Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru Episode 1 is the closest I've seen yet to "Madoka Magica Episode 1, through a mirror, brightly". The day is coming when somebody pulls it off, and it will be glorious.

Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru gets a lot of key things right that VRO and Gen'ei were a fair bit off on. At least when it comes to being an effective response to Madoka Magica. There's 2 or 3 areas where I think the show is slightly missing the mark in that respect, but they're relatively minor compared to what it's getting completely right.

Two key things I'll mention briefly - Aesthetics and Truly wondrous/magical-seeming "other/combat world". These are the best magical girl outfits I've seen since Madoka Magica. And this is the most impressively SHAFT-y other-worldly "witch's barrier" I've seen since Madoka Magica.

However, I'm going to try to keep explicit Madoka Magica comparisons off the series thread itself, because Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru is a case where I'd agree with Solace - This show definitely should be kept out of PMMM's shadow. So on the series thread itself, I'll speak to what it's getting right, on its own merits, with minimal comparisons to other shows.

But in the "anime industry bigger picture" sense, this is wondrously close to the perfect answer to Madoka Magica (even if it is unintentional on the creators' parts). I thought I should share that observation with you.
  8. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-10-16 23:48
    0utf0xZer0
    I'm thinking you may find Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru relevant to your interests.
  9. Triple_R
    2014-10-16 18:06
    Triple_R
    Since you brought it up to Pocari Sweat... Trinity Seven Episode 2 was definitely lowbrow, but it still had a certain cleverness and creativity to it that keeps me engaged and interested. The MC is a bit more pervy than I'd like, but I've seen worse (it helps that I *think* his more pervy comments are at least half-joking, and self-aware in that sense).

I also think that Trinity Seven somehow manages to blend IS-style harem hijinks with serious plot, and make it all somehow work, and pretty seamlessly to. Better than IS itself did, imo.
  10. 0utf0xZer0
    2014-10-14 00:51
    0utf0xZer0
    Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso: Okay, you've already discovered this one for yourself. For me, this actually turned out to be a surprise: I expected it to be good, but based on past experience with Noitamina anime I didn't expect to like this nearly as much as I did, be it in terms of the characters and setup, the artwork, or even the humour (I know you're not fond of the slapstick, but I personally enjoyed the way the misunderstanding in the park got way out of hand).

Ore Twintail ni Narimasu: The other recent surprise hit for me. Guy with a massive twintails fetish is given the power to transform into Tail Red, - essentially a twintailed sentai heroine - in order to battle aliens who are trying to steal the twintails attribute from earthling girl. I don't expect everyone to appreciate the show's straight up "ham and cheese" approach, but I enjoyed it.

Grisaia no Kajitsu episode 2: I felt this show had dark horse potential from the opener - despite it not doing much aside from establishing some weird, over the top moe quirks for the girls, hinting the characters have dark and sinister histories and showing some fanservice. Well, it's only the second episode and I'm already seeing improvement. The girls are feeling less like collections of tropes and more like actual characters, and the plot intrigues me much more than either Ushinawareta or Daitoshokan's plots do. (Caveat: I have trouble taking Makina seriously as a romantic interest for the same reason I have trouble taking Ayu seriously as one - personality is wayyyyyyy too childish. At least so far.)