AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > 0utf0xZer0

Notices

Conversation Between 0utf0xZer0 and Triple_R
Showing Visitor Messages 241 to 250 of 466
  1. 0utf0xZer0
    2012-11-28 15:40
    0utf0xZer0
    Madoka is 150 - part of the reason I picked it as a cut off is because it seems to be a "go to" height for short characters. Fuko, Kei, and Azusa are all 150cm.

Sayaka is 163cm/5'4". Compared with a Japanese national average for 19 year old women of 158 cm.

Feyris is clearly much shorter than Mayuri in the OP even accounting for being farther into the distance in the "lineup" shot, though the cat ears make her look a bit taller than she is. She's drawn about Mayuri's height in many scenes though.

It makes me wonder if the maid cafe staffers at Cos and Effect 2011 used the OP and/or actually heigh "spec" as a reference for costume assignments, because the (proportional ) heights look surprisingly close to me:
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=68wnz4&s=6
  2. Triple_R
    2012-11-28 13:58
    Triple_R
    I'm kind of surprised that Madoka wasn't below 150 cm. She certainly struck me as notably short compared to Homura, Hitomi, Kyouko, and Sayaka. Sayaka must be pretty tall if Madoka is over 150 cm.

Sana, Miu, and Ohana never struck me as that short, so I'm with you there. And while Feyris struck me as a bit short, I never thought she was below 145 cm!
  3. 0utf0xZer0
    2012-11-28 01:01
    0utf0xZer0
    I have a weird habit of memorizing the "official" heights of anime girls.

So here's a list of girls under 150cm (about 4'11) in a few shows:
    K-On!: None
    EF: None
    Madoka Magica: None
    All Key anime adaptations: Kud (145cm)
    Tari Tari: Konatsu (149cm)
    Mashiro-iro Symphony: Sana (148 cm), Miu (146 cm)
    Hanasaku Iroha: Ohana (147cm)
    Steins;Gate: Feyris (143cm)

Is it just me, or did some of those really not come across in the anime?

(edit: added Tari Tari, Madoka)
  4. 0utf0xZer0
    2012-11-27 04:47
    0utf0xZer0
    Question: what do you think the odds are that a cosplayer cosplaying as Eru in the second Hyouka ED would be mistaken as cosplaying Sherlock Holmes... as opposed to, you know, Chitanda Eru cosplaying as Sherlock Holmes?
  5. 0utf0xZer0
    2012-11-16 01:22
    0utf0xZer0
    You're the second person I've had peg episode three as the point where the show starts to get great - I personally place it a bit earlier, with the scene in episode 2 where Mashiro wants Sorata to model nude for her.

...No seriously. In addition to being a kind of fun reversal of the norm for a fanservice scene (normally it's the girl who ends up in the compromising position in a scene like this), it's the moment where I first really grasped how Mashiro's artistic ambition and socially ineptness are related, and hence got a sense of what made her tick as a character. And no, I don't think it was just that I was on the lookout for stuff like this to vindicate my position that the outrage at the show's premise was unwarranted - or at very least blind to the tongue in cheek nature of the show's audacity.
  6. Triple_R
    2012-11-15 19:05
    Triple_R
    And... I'm through six episodes of Sakurasou now. Yeah, episodes 3 through 6 were all really strong, maybe with a slight hiccup in Episode 5 were the comedy was briefly too heavy for my liking.

Thanks a lot for recommending this show to me!
  7. Triple_R
    2012-11-15 11:46
    Triple_R
    I just finished the third episode of Sakurasou.

I'll be honest - The first episode really didn't do much for me, and it felt pretty generic aside from the premise of a guy being surrounded by actual screwballs (as in, people widely recognized as such, even by virtue of where they live).

However, with the third episode, the Toradora comparisons are now becoming clear to me. It does have that same "cut above typical anime romcom" feeling that you get with Toradora and Ano Natsu. In other words, it has some intellectual heft to it.

Mind you, I was never a big Toradora fan, but that mostly had to do with me tiring of KugRie Tsunderes and with Ami annoying me greatly. Sakurasou is actually a more pleasant watch for me since none of its cast members annoy me (at least not yet, after three episodes). I also think it compares well (in most respects) to Ano Natsu because it doesn't have that sci-fi thing going on that can be distracting and detracting from the mood.

So yeah, I'm now starting to see why you, Pocari Sweat, and Konakaga all wanted me to watch this show. I'll probably marathon up through the first six episodes later today. I'll share more thoughts with you on it later on.
  8. 0utf0xZer0
    2012-11-07 13:13
    0utf0xZer0
    Would you find it strange if I said that of eight Ririchiyo cosplayers I’ve run into at Vancouver and Seattle conventions, two of them have also cosplayed Taiga from Toradora and one says she wants to cosplay the character?

(Also, for its profile Inu x Boku SS is really popular as a couple’s cosplay, I’ve seen three couples do Soushi and Ririchiyo in the past year (as well as one case of two girls cosplaying the characters).)
  9. Triple_R
    2012-10-18 23:56
    Triple_R
    Well, to be fair, your "slight hit to the ribs" idea seems reasonable to me (both for real life and for anime).

More than anything, I just think this style of comedy is kind of... played out, maybe? And while I honestly accept the gender double standard to some degree (let's face it, guys tend to be physically stronger than girls, biologically speaking), I also think it can be taken too far. My mind goes back to Ore no Imouto's Kirino here. If Kyousuke had, say, literally pushed her away from him after her 4th or 5th time of hitting him, I couldn't and wouldn't fault him for that. But I think a guy should only punch a female, actually punch her, if she really is a serious threat to him (and here I'm kind of talking about an actual female villain that's great at fighting and/or powerful).

And yeah, a guy who took a 'roll with the punches' approach to the tsundere abuse might come across well.
  10. 0utf0xZer0
    2012-10-18 23:45
    0utf0xZer0
    Decent people aren’t always decent when you walk in on them in the shower, and my tendency is to say that both sympathy and a bit of slack are warranted. I’d honestly say the biggest problem with most male leads isn’t that they take the hit – which may well be the best course of action – but that they don’t do so with dignity.

That said, if the female character’s personality allows for swallowing pride (ie. probably not someone like Taiga), I still think an after the fact apology or repentence is a golden opportunity for the writer. Especially if the character is a tsundere – bashful mode on, yes?

(Also, - and I suspect you might agree with me on this – I’d rather see the guy be pacifistic to a tsundere than subscribe to this “she hit me, now I’m justified in putting her in her place” BS I hear some people articulate from time to time. Escalation is not self-defense.)