AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > 0utf0xZer0

Notices

Conversation Between 0utf0xZer0 and Triple_R
Showing Visitor Messages 271 to 280 of 379
  1. Triple_R
    2011-10-18 19:29
    Triple_R
    Interesting AnoHana discussion. I'll have to think on it a bit before I get back to you on it.

One thing I have been doing, thanks to you and Last Sinner, is gradually watching through Infinite Stratos. I just recently finished the 7th episode.

I have to say, it's not bad. I wouldn't call it fantastic or anything that great, but it's definitely watchable.

I think it's biggest strengths are the male lead (I'll share why with you and Last Sinner later, that's the most detailed part), the pacing, and yes, Charlotte. Charlotte and Laura both do a nice job of breaking out of the haremette mold, albeit in diametrically opposite ways.

Infinite Stratos' really cliche-driven 1st episode never did the show justice. It did get better, imo, and by a fair margin. Granted, you still get the odd silly/stupid scene, but most of the time, you have solid drama and character dynamics going on here, helped along by nice action scenes and good, consistent pacing. New characters are introduced at just the right pace to maintain viewer interest.
  2. 0utf0xZer0
    2011-10-17 18:00
    0utf0xZer0
    Did you catch this little bit of AnoHana discussion?
    http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...11#post3806311
    As you can see from my post at the start of page 41, I have a very different take on it from most, but one which I think is well justified.
  3. Triple_R
    2011-10-14 21:57
    Triple_R
    Thanks to recommendations from you and Reckoner, I checked out the first two episodes of Mashiro-iro Symphony.

Personally, I felt that the first episode was fine, albeit a bit slow-paced perhaps.

The second episode was very nice as well, and probably a bit of an improvement over the first episode.

I like how the drama is handled here in a somewhat realistic fashion. Basically, it's about these boys having to prove their worth and overcome a certain degree of reverse-sexism.

That's a pretty fresh and dynamic approach for anime to take, particularly in a VN adaptation.
  4. 0utf0xZer0
    2011-10-13 03:01
    0utf0xZer0
    Well, I think Mashiro-iro Symphony just set a new record for biggest first to second episode improvement in a VN adaptation - primarily because in contrast to everything the first episode suggested about where the show was headed, they actually managed to handle a "first boys in formerly all girl's school" plot in a subtle yet effective matter. I hope it keeps it up.
  5. 0utf0xZer0
    2011-10-12 02:33
    0utf0xZer0
    It's not like I stalk people's walls or anything, I just... happened to run across this comment!

Quote:
    I dropped Infinite Stratos after one episode as I couldn't stand watching generic harem anime at the time. Maybe one of these days I'll pick it back up if you think it's worth it. I have heard from people with a taste in moe similar to myself (such as 0utf0xZer0) that Charlotte is genuinely a likable character, and that's possible, as I don't recall her bothering me in the first episode.
    I'd kind of hope she didn't bother you in the first episode because IIRC prior to episode 5 she shows up for a grand total of a few seconds in the flash forward bit.

Anyway, I've been planning to talk about Charlotte (along with the lead girl in Otome Youkai Zakuro) for my "what moe characters do you like and why" project for a while, but never seem to get around to it, so I'll just mention some points here:
    -As Last Sinner mentioned, she's IS's resident "non-tsundere" - basically, the nice girl of the lot. But beyond that, she's also has a very positive attitude, which manifests in several respects:
    -she actually gets along well with some of her competition. Actually, its extremely difficult to think of a scene where she's bitter, jealous, or angry.
    -she's proactive despite being quiet and bashful - which means despite rarely displaying aggressive emotions, she never comes across as dull or passive
    -beyond that, she's romantically proactive and gets comfortable being around Ichika pretty fast - which is rare for a quiet girl in anime
    -playful and also has a competitive streak, but doesn't let it get in the way of being nice
    -good balance between cute and sexy, voiced by Kana Hanazawa

Combined with her IS pilot credentials, and you get what I refer to as "anime's sweetest action girl" - and one of those rare characters that I really want to write my own version of.
  6. 0utf0xZer0
    2011-10-11 02:54
    0utf0xZer0
    Like I said, I'll probably try and organize a screening with friends for it. It'll take a bit due to schedule issues (and likely will get split into two parts, we frequently do one cour in a day but that's 5.5 hours and not 8.5), but I tend to prefer to watch completed series that way.

Hmmm... I guess I do defend C3, but personally I found both episodes good enough and nothing more. There just isn't the requisite level of emotional involvement in it for me yet. It needs a "click" moment where I just connect with the characters and their story. A good example of a click moment in an action anime for me would be Utao controlling Kukuri for the first time in Kamisama Dolls episode 2 - really brought a human dimension to the whole thing. Really, I think C3 needed to give us a few episodes to get to know the characters (possibly via a "tool of the week" (*snicker*) format) before introducing the hunter. As awesome as the finale of this episode was, that human connection isn't something that can be glossed over with bombast.

This may be part of the reason I liked episode one more than many - while I never connected with Fear like I did with Utao in the aforementioned "click moment", her antics in episode one gave the sense of someone trying to compensate for loneliness, making her a bit sympathetic. The episode was hardly impressive (it holds up terribly if I compare it to, say, episode one of Otome Youkai Zakuro, which is also mainly a character introduction piece) but that was a notable redeeming quality for me.

(I also have to admit that I find Fear being clueless a lot funnier than most harem antics, including many of those from this show, so that's another win. She's one of the better Shana clones I've seen - most of the time, I prefer to use the term "knockoff" to imply a notable inferiority to the original.)
  7. Triple_R
    2011-10-10 19:45
    Triple_R
    On C3... The 2nd episode was way better than I thought it would be. I can understand why you defended it a lot. I agree with those that said that the transition was pretty rough, but taken in a vacuum, Episode 2 wasn't bad at all (far better than Episode 1, imo). I fear that a lot of people just don't like the approach C3 took with its tonal transition here (I admit that I don't), and it's understandably biased people against it. It's a shame because there really is some nice potential here, from what I can tell.
  8. Triple_R
    2011-10-09 12:02
    Triple_R
    On the topic of Garden of Sinners...

I'd heartily encourage you to pick it back up. The 5th and 7th movies were the strongest, in my opinion, and being a moe fan you'll probably love the 6th.

If it was plot confusion that caused you to dislike the first, then the 2nd is much better in that regard in that it is the true starting point of the in-canon timeline, as Last Sinner said.
  9. Triple_R
    2011-10-03 14:28
    Triple_R
    Aahhh... now I get why others had a stronger emotional reaction to Saber's appearance in Episode 1 than I had. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was cool, but I didn't get into it as much as some.

But now I see how a "Finally, somebody who's genuinely worth cheering for has shown up!" effect took over much of the audience there. Yeah, I get that. Thanks for making that clear to me.

I devoted so much time to simply keeping facts straight in my mind that I never became that emotionally invested in the episode (a couple Sakura scenes notwithstanding). But if I knew more of the facts going in, I might have had a bit more emotional buildup from the episode, leading into a great cathartic moment when Saber arrives.

I see what you're saying about Gen's goals thematically, and I really like your "Miharu instead of Waver" idea. Yeah, someone like Miharu would work marvelously here, I think.

And yeah, Saber looks great in a suit.
  10. 0utf0xZer0
    2011-10-03 14:19
    0utf0xZer0
    I’m more defending the thematic elements he’s using than the lack of female characters. If I were to write a story with similar themes I would likely include more female characters (in fact, I kind of want to write a story with some F/Z like themes after seeing that episode), and I think that he also had a few opportunities to include more female characters. In particular, I think that Waver’s role could have been filled by a female master (for some reason I keep thinking his replacement could be similar to Miharu from Kamisama Dolls), and I think that Irisviel could have been a much less passive character while still getting across her devotion to Emiya’s cause. I just happen to think Urobuchi’s portrayal of the Magi is interesting and that their corruption really gave Saber’s first appearance a “hell yes” quality.

My biggest disappointment with the show itself was actually the lack of animation, which I think you also mentioned. The artwork itself is great, but the lack of movement made many scenes feel really cheap.

As to Saber herself I actually did find her moe in the original… she definitely is a badass, but from what I remember she also fit the “so serious she ends up being cute” archetype pretty well.

Also, it just occurred to me that Saber in a suit bares a strong resemblance to Charlotte wearing a boy’s school uniform early in Infinite Stratos – even the hairstyles are fairly similar. And for some reason I really dig both outfits.

(I think Charlotte would probably have been my favourite IS character even if it turned out she actually was a guy – which I actually thought she was for a bit since, well, writes do sometimes throw in a male moe character these days.)

Agreed that not having Rin and Sakura around is going to be a bit disappointing… the biggest Type Moon fan among my friends and I were basically cheering every time Rin appeared in this episode.