AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Chaos2Frozen

Notices

Conversation Between Chaos2Frozen and com_gwp
Showing Visitor Messages 811 to 820 of 851
  1. Chaos2Frozen
    2011-03-06 10:59
    Chaos2Frozen
    Yes well, I'm that kind of asshole.

But Wow! Singaporean Society huh, I guess that means you're moving up the ladder and going places right... ?

Btw, have you heard or even watch this HBO miniseries [Generation Kill] ?
  2. com_gwp
    2011-03-06 09:39
    com_gwp
    Oh Shi-

See? Now you've gone and made me all emo about home again. Oh yea lol, funny thing happened, without realising it or doing anything at all, I've become a member of the Singaporean Society in the uni.
  3. Chaos2Frozen
    2011-02-28 16:43
    Chaos2Frozen
    Trust me, listen to this song, only 4:30 minutes...
  4. com_gwp
    2011-02-26 19:22
    com_gwp
    However, none of these would be enough to shoot them to fame. And the way I judge is this; When you think of a series, ignoring shounen action again, naturally you would immediately picture the female characters, this is standard for alot of shows especially harems obviously. A male character is successful when you would think of them along with the female characters.

This is a funny thing you should mention, because for me, there is an equal amount of times that the female characters don't stand out along with the main character. What I would take away from these shows are powerful scenes, epic plot twists or epic laughs. I really don't think females characters have an easier opportunity to stand out compared with a male character, asides from the higher frequencies they appear in anime because Japan obviously love harems.

Say, for [Higurashi] none of the characters, not even the girls particularly stand out for me, but it really was how unnerving and freaky the series was during S1 (Asides from the bulls!@# that followed in S2) Kinda like the feeling I got when playing dead space, like there's always something in the dark watching (Great game btw, you should at least play 2, they made it alot more accessible) How strongly the show makes you feel is the crux. And we anchor these feelings to a character, usually the most directly involved one. Maybe that's what make a good protagonist. How strongly a character can make you feel.This also ties it with characters that are portrayed with realistic emotions, and because we can sympathise with these characters, we also call them "good" characters.

But this works 2 ways, as we can attest to remembering some particularly god awful characters. This could also be why people think emos and whiners are "bad", because we cannot sympathise with them at all (Unless, of course, they had a good reason for it) Take [School Days] for example, how in the hell are you gonna sympathise with Makoto at all? Asides from the fact that his sexual drive is pretty damn realistic I guess.^^
  5. Chaos2Frozen
    2011-02-24 22:02
    Chaos2Frozen
    At the same time, I think we might have inadvertingly lowest our expectaions of protagonists so we don't disappoint ouselves too much.

Back on topic, Ayumu yeah he's got that whole transformation thingy going for him, but he does occasionally say some good comical stuff Between his Yuu-delusions and the banter he has with the girls it feels that he is somewhat in control and has an opinion of his own rather than to completely submit to everything. Yumeji also behaves slightly different from the mold, he does deviate from the 'always nice guy' persona, similair to Ayumu- Case in point, the scene where he walked into the girls bathing.

However, none of these would be enough to shoot them to fame. And the way I judge is this; When you think of a series, ignoring shounen action again, naturally you would immediately picture the female characters, this is standard for alot of shows especially harems obviously. A male character is successful when you would think of them along with the female characters.

For example, when I say [World God only knows], you would immedately picture Keima before the girls (very rare case). When I say [Code Geass], you would picture Lelouch. When I say [Haruhi], you would not leave out Kyon.

At the same time, when I say [Amagami SS], Junichi is the last thing on your mind, [Higurashi]? Girls only as well, [Infinite Stratos]? [Zombie]? [Kannagi]? The guy might not even appear!

And no one likes seeing a wuss/emo in a show, unless there's a especially good reason for it. Its one thing to listen to complains, and something else entirely to be treated to a whinefest.

That reminds me, I watched Dragon Crisis last night, I realized that Ryuji isn't a complete wuss because he can fight- but he's the next worst thing. He's too nice and comforming to everyone. He gets dragged along for the ride but he doesn't stand out on his on, he doesn't deviate even for the slightest bit, he literally just fit in.

Most character do get their GAR moments from time to time, but do most people stick around long enough to see that happen? Does that single GAR moment really boost their image if they just revert back to their usual behavior immediately? Can a few moments of GAR really wash out the bad taste in people's mouth caused by a bad character?

Oh yeah, these days characters get their GAR moments quite early on, within the first 3-4 episodes.

But I agree with your second part, DC's Ryuji when not in a threaten situation, is as solid as foam or soup.

BTW, why does it ALWAYS have to be a harem? A harem lead is the epitome of generic. I tend to find the more outstanding protagonists lacking harems.

Because it's harder for a guy to succeed in harem stories where the focus is usually on the girls If I give you a mecha show for example, it's not a tough decision at all.

By that definition, if a male character can succeed in a mahou shoujo series he would be the God King!
  6. com_gwp
    2011-02-24 21:25
    com_gwp
    IMO touma really is an average lead. Can never understand the reasons people like him. Don't read the LN enough to know if he's different in it. I'm in the haters camp and it hasn't changed since S1. The brilliant setting, more than anything, and much more so than the characters, has always been what To Aru stands for to me. End of that particular story. I really can't refute hard evidence anyway, now can I?

And while I can understand how you would think a good protagonist can be a funny guy, it depends on the type of laughs being delivered. Zombie and Merry? Really? Zombie only has its forced comedy (Ayumu's transformation) and slapstick gags while Merry's protagonist imo is boring because he doesn't have a single outstanding trait at all. Neither what I would call "good" protagonists.

You were talking about generic, and Merry's lead is as generic as they come. He immediately falls into a whole bunch of tropes and cliches that we've seen countless times before, and he doesn't bring anything new to the table. Slightly stubborn, but good-natured shounen with special ability central to the plot? Like you say, they just fit into the mold.

And no one likes seeing a wuss/emo in a show, unless there's a especially good reason for it. Its one thing to listen to complains, and something else entirely to be treated to a whinefest.

What does that actually mean? Harem protagonist have moved on since the days of Love Hina and Evangelion, these days every guy has his GAR moments. Even Dragon Crisis' Ryuji gets to fight. So in actuality we should be increasing our standards for male heroes.

Most character do get their GAR moments from time to time, but do most people stick around long enough to see that happen? Does that single GAR moment really boost their image if they just revert back to their usual behavior immediately? Can a few moments of GAR really wash out the bad taste in people's mouth caused by a bad character?

Standards for a good protagonist has increased, that's for sure. But those standards are not universal, are they? It could just be your history of watching that's judging for you. Maybe you're looking for something different, or a character like one you've seen before. Perhaps to define a "good" protagonist, you have to ask yourself what you're comparing against.

BTW, why does it ALWAYS have to be a harem? A harem lead is the epitome of generic. I tend to find the more outstanding protagonists lacking harems.
  7. Chaos2Frozen
    2011-02-24 19:53
    Chaos2Frozen
    This is my opinion, but I think why he's still popular as a LN character is because his actions suits a light novel, where dialogue matters the most. Its also the reason why I think he fails as a character in the anime, as JC staff tries to keep close to the source material and it ends up with a lecture from him EVERY TIME.

Your point equals moot

Your point is moot - Feburary Edition

Your point still moot - March Edition

He's still popular as an anime character.

P.S - You still haven't tell me your thoughts about my theory on male protagonist and what it takes for them to succeed.
  8. com_gwp
    2011-02-24 14:51
    com_gwp
    Did we? I tend to avoid you guys when you do that because I can't gather my thoughts as well as your.

We had enough interesting convos in our time.

Say what you want about Touma, but for someone who supposedly have alot of haters, he's still a very popular character- Enough to win Number 1 place for Most popular Light Novel male character 2011, with Accelerator in second place. It's not easy for male characters to be just as well remembered as their female companions- Girls got it easy.

This is my opinion, but I think why he's still popular as a LN character is because his actions suits a light novel, where dialogue matters the most. Its also the reason why I think he fails as a character in the anime, as JC staff tries to keep close to the source material and it ends up with a lecture from him EVERY TIME. Furthermore, each arc occurs in the span of a few weeks, and this repeated lack of action from the main protagonist or even the story itself, especially during key scenes in the climax is really, really underwhelming. At best, a few punches are traded.
  9. Chaos2Frozen
    2011-02-23 20:06
    Chaos2Frozen
    TOGF= Tales of Graces F
    Really looking forward to playing that game after Vesperia. And did you try the Dragon Age 2 demo? Man, I can't wait until the game comes out.

Demo? Not yet.

Oh yeah, GraceF... Really need to play a new tales game... You know that the hero in GraceF won number 3 for most popular (male?) character in Tales?

Hey, I'm always in a talking mood. And there's a guy in my class who watches anime too, but its not the same kind of conversations that we used to have. I really miss all those little talks and arguments we had in the bunk along with Sam and JX and John and the others.
    Did we? I tend to avoid you guys when you do that because I can't gather my thoughts as well as your.
  10. Chaos2Frozen
    2011-02-23 20:01
    Chaos2Frozen
    I duno. I think I made it clear last time after S1 ended, but I have a pretty negative opinion of the guy because of his ideals that are almost always stupidly naive. But that could be why you enjoy him as a protagonist? He never, ever backs down from his ideals. In a sense I almost admire the guy, because I've never seen a more stubborn or perfect protagonist (Maybe Kamina, but he died so soon), especially when shows these days enjoy pulling out stupid dramas of the character losing faith in their ideals. (quote, Negima. And also because he's been a whiny little kid pining for his dad.)

But that's the thing, I do hate Naive goody-two-shoes characters, pointing at Negima, but Touma doesn't bother me at all.

Rather than navie, He's more like Optimistic.

The closest reason I can think of is that he has enough flaws and imprefection to make up for it, and it's not like he doesn't know them.

Plus he says some funny things from time to time.

You know, maybe that's it- maybe I'm more in tune to male characters that are funny. Both Zombie and Merry have rather funny protagonist, while the others are more like they got dragged into the funny... What do you think?

Every guy you mentioned up there has very different characteristics, that make people like them naturally as a protagonist. Like you said tho, the protagonists in this season are all average at best. No one stands out at all. Sometimes their characters are generic, or like in the case of DC the guy's a freaking wuss. Not following that at all btw.

You know, I brought this up several times but nobody listens; You know how people keep saying "Well, at least he's a not a generic wuss harem lead"

What does that actually mean? Harem protagonist have moved on since the days of Love Hina and Evangelion, these days every guy has his GAR moments. Even Dragon Crisis' Ryuji gets to fight. So in actuality we should be increasing our standards for male heroes.

It's much harder to succeed as a male character than as a female character (shounen series aside) I argued that in order to be remembered as a harem lead you either need to be charming and capable (Hayate and Keima), proud preverted (Tomoki and Sugisaki), or do a heroic act every 2-3 times a month (Touma and NaGARsumi).

Say what you want about Touma, but for someone who supposedly have alot of haters, he's still a very popular character- Enough to win Number 1 place for Most popular Light Novel male character 2011, with Accelerator in second place. It's not easy for male characters to be just as well remembered as their female companions- Girls got it easy.

The protagonists of this season aren't 'unique' enough, they fit perfectly into the mold. To sum it up, I don't think any of them would be remembered after this season.