AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Westlo

Notices

Conversation Between Westlo and Last Sinner
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 16
  1. Last Sinner
    2012-10-01 00:26
    Last Sinner
    The major difference is that we don't get double ups against Gold Coast, Greater Western Sydney or Melbourne and play higher up teams twice more. So going 17-5 for the season won't be likely next year.

Decent Grand Final. Sydney proved a lot of people wrong, including me. Hawthorn were still wasteful - guess they didn't learn from their dicey encounter with Adelaide.

Oh and this should be very relevant to you - a few minutes ago on the radio, word came out that Essendon have acquired Brendan Goddard...how'd you pull that off?
  2. Westlo
    2012-09-24 02:55
    Westlo
    While a very different game compared to last years stand out prelim, it was also a fantastic game in its own right. I think a lot of people didn't rate Adelaide, and I understood why, but after that game I think they gained a lot of respect. Was a fantastic year after what happened prior, not to mention losing Davies and Gunston as well as Bock a year before that.

How does the draw shape up for next year? Have to play the other finalists twice or something as well as your "big" games like Port? North is going to get hurt a lot more by that than your club, that has been made clear.
  3. Last Sinner
    2012-09-22 04:55
    Last Sinner
    Man, we almost pinched a spot in the grand final...

Adelaide just made too many mistakes in the midfield. Hawthorn almost blew it with their inaccurate kicking. Was quite a thriller.

I cam't knock my team. No one gave them a chance. And they almost stole it. Our 2013 draw looks a bit harsh but if we can improve from this season - who knows. If someone said at the start of the year Adelaide was one goal away from a grand final, we wouldn't have believed it.
  4. Last Sinner
    2012-09-14 09:15
    Last Sinner
    Don't worry, all good.

I had an Accounting exam today, came home and fell asleep, woke up at the start of the 3rd quarter and liked what I saw. Looks like Adelaide was smashed in the 1st quarter but after half time, they realled steamrolled ahead. Walker was just brilliant, Reilly was carving them up at half-back, Rutten utterly shut down Pavlich. Sandilands smashed us in the ruck - of course - but the defense held up well until the engine got going. Thompson and Dangerfield got decent possessions this time. Porplyzia had a 'combeack form the wilderness' game. 2010 he was amazing but he missed all of 2011 wih that freak injury and took much longer than expected to fit into Sanderson's system this year. Fremantle were gallant and maybe if they hadn't copped two 6-day turnarounds in a row, they'd have won. They just crumbled and did some ridiculous mistakes in that final quarter. But I'll take it. Adelaide in a prelim final after 14th last year? Yes please!

Well, we now have Hawthorn. Intimidating task, but...who knows. Even Hawthorn are capable of messing up under pressure.

Ratten looks likely to get the Port Power job, actually. He said publically he wants it and the mail in Adelaide all week is that Rodney Eade isn't after it anymore. I don't see who else they could get aside from Ratten, honestly. Roos won't be available until 2014 and there's not exactly tghat many notable ones around after the coaching change frenzy last year.

The Essendon 99-01 team was formidable. 2 things lowered the legacy - that prelim final in 99 where they should have won but somehow let Carlton through to get smashed by North Melbourne in the grand final. Then Brisbane came along in 2001-2003 and get three preimerships in a row and would have been 4 if not for Port finally growing a spine in a finals campaign. Frankly, that 99-01 Essendon legacy is better than Port's in 01-04 where they wasted so many chances. That 2000 Essendon team - less than a goal away from an undefeated season and win the grand final by plenty - that's impressive. Hird, Fletcher and a few others get 2 premierships over a decade - still darn good. It goes up there along with Adeliade in 97-98 and North Melbourne in 96 and 99. I think Essendon's dominance in 2000 was a trigger for teams taking on flooding tactics more after the Bulldogs inflicted your only loss that year by using it.

As for anime - lately I've been watching City Hunter and Nadesico. Rewatched One Outs over 3 nights and Yosuga no Sora over 2 - I find those shows very easy to watch for some reason. As for currently airing material, Sword Art Online is my only title and definitely my fave for 2012 if it avoids stuffing up like Fate/Zero.
  5. Westlo
    2012-09-14 04:44
    Westlo
    Been busy, sorry for the late reply.

As for Essendon... well that was such a disappointment... I'm hoping the failure of this season pays dividends soon... it's been a long time since 2000... if you had told me back than that Essendon wouldn't have another flag in the next 12 years I would've laughed you out of the joint... especially after that Essendon Vs North Melbourne game where North were in front by 60 odd points deep into the second quarter and Essendon powered home to win by 18 or so..... and the failure of 99 just becomes worse with what happened. The Essendon team of 99-01 is up there with the best.. but because it only got 1 out of 3 it will never be held in that regard.

They seriously need a shake up for next season, I hope they realize that they need to pay overs to get someone like Goddard, that addition alone as well as Zaharakis being in the middle means Stanton doesn't get tagged, Stanton is excellent when not tagged...

Anyway tough game for the Crows, I said to my dad who goes for Geelong that they were going to be much harder the next week since they were clearly effected by nerves, but than Fremantle just went through them like a hot knife through butter. I still think the crows have this game....

Hate what happened to Brett Ratten.... I hope he goes to GWS and takes up the position under Sheedy.. he'll win a flag before Carlton does that way.
  6. Last Sinner
    2012-08-28 01:57
    Last Sinner
    What in the hell happened to your Bombers...finals were beckoning and it's like the tank is completely empty for them. Then again, last couple of rounds have been darn whack. Gold Coast beat Carlton, North Melbourne beat Collingwood, Adelaide lost to Brisbane, Fremantle beat North Melbourne interstate.

However I do feel somewhat vindicated in feeling Sydney weren't going to keep top spot. They could still get it back but Hawthorn are finally in the zone. It would take Geelong getting through to the grand finale or Adelaide/Sydney lifting a gear to stop them now.

As much as I don't like Carlton one bit, I feel for Brett Ratten. I thought Port letting Primus down against GWS was a colossal disgrace. Carlton somehow topped that against Gold Coast. Mick Malthouse is going to wring everyone's neck until he gets that job.

Well, I guess I'm getting what I wanted. I said Adelaide probably stood the best chance against Sydney in the first week and that's almost a lock-in unless somehow Hawthorn and Sydney both slip up in the final round, but I doubt it. But Walker in his mode and Tippett regaining form gives me some hope they can have a decent finals campaign. I'd like them to be able to prove to people like Malthouse, Walls and the like that we actually deserve to be there. Craig's major flaw was he never had a Plan B. Sanderson has shown he has - hopefully he has a couple of tricks left.
  7. Last Sinner
    2012-08-05 09:09
    Last Sinner
    Er...Hawthorn I guess? Because Collingwood are Adelaide's true nemesis. They always pull something out of the bag in close matches against us. And Malthouse has probably countered us the best. We can counter Franklin and co. - Rutten and Talia can cover them. But Collingwood outbulk Adelaide big time and Pendlebury tends to go ballistic against us. I don't think we can beat them this year. However, so many things we expected to not be able to do have happened this year, so maybe it can, just like 1997 and 1998. Honestly out of the top 4, I'd want to face Sydney most because I know Adelaide can beat them - barely but can. Adelaide have a great record versus Sydney for some reason. Other team I don't want to verse is North Melbourne. Their midfield owned us earlier in the year and they seem more than capable of doing it again. Not sure how but they dominated the stoppages - which has been Adelaide's forte this year - and never let us in that game.

By all the stats and whatever, Essendon should have won. Way more inside 50s, clearances, stoppage takeaways, etc. And yeah, Winderlich was murdering us - him going down let Adelaide back in. Honestly, Essendon would have been top 4 easily if not for those injuries. It's like the nightmare run Adelaide had last year, so I can sympathise. I swear it's that damn Etihad Stadium and its surface hardness index. Doesn't it cause the most soft tissue injuries in the league by a long way?

Sanderson has created a culture within Adelaide this year that even when we're seemingly doomed, we can win - and most times this year we have. 'Tex' Walker has come of age this year, Dangerfield is frighteningly good this year, Jacobs is a revelation in ruck, Sloane is the school of hard knocks personified, some who were semmingly finished have been revitalized. Adelaide is still kind of fragile in defense. That's why I don't want to face Collingwood. Cloke, Daws, Jolly going forward along with Swan and Thomas zipping through - Adelaide don't match up well against them.

Looking at the draw for the rest of the year...

Crows - Fremantle, Brisbane, Melbourne, Gold Coast. Only Fremantle should threaten us but 4 wins should be a realistic outcome.

Swans - Collingwood, Western, Hawthorn, Geelong. Wow, that is a hard way to finish the season. I give them 2 more wins. Collingwood usually get the better of them and I don't see them beating both Hawthorn AND Geelong.

Hawks - Port, Gold Coast, Sydney, West Coast. 3 more wins at least. First 2 are charity - I know the 'week after coach sacked' phenomenon can apply but with Port, I can't see them doing it.

Pies - Sydney, North Melbourne, West Coast, Essendon. Hmm....3 wins? Realistically, 4 more wins is quite possible for them, though.

Cats - West Coast, St. Kilda, Western, Sydney. At least 3 wins if not 4. Could slip into the 4. If they do, Adelaide could be screwed with the form Geelong have suddenly hit.

Eagles - Geelong, Port, Collingwood, Hawthorn. Can only give them 1 more win considering how hard injuries have hit them this year. After looking to be top 2, they could miss the finals, which would be a real shocker.

Kangaroos - Essendon, Collingwood, Fremantle, GWS. How ironic they're about to play the two teams on the same number of wins they're on right now. I think they can get 3. The Fremantle game is in Melbourne and yeah, you lost yet another key player...I think North Melbourne have finally woken up and are a real danger side at present. I don't want to verse them in the finals - what they lack in experience, their speed and ruthlessness is making up for. No suprrise a Scott brother drilled that into them - those Scott brothers were hard nuts for Brisbane.

Bombers - North Melbourne, Carlton, Richmond, Collingwood. Hmm...I see 2 wins. I'd love to think you could do the league a favour and pinch one from Collingwood in the final round, but...hard to see.

Dockers - Adelaide, Richmond, North Melbourne, Melbourne. They can definitely get two wins. But 3...I'm not sure Pavlich alone is enough offense to go with their ultra-defensive style Ross Lyon makes them play now.

So on that...barring freak injuries, seeds going into the finals would be...

1 - Adelaide
    2 - Hawthorn (Port and GFC will inflate their % past Sydney - oh wait, theirs is higher already)
    3 - Collingwood
    4 - Sydney
    5 - Geelong
    6 - North Melbourne
    7 - West Coast
    8 - Essendon/Fremantle

Well, your guys can still make it, but you'll need Adelaide and North Melbourne to beat Fremantle to help it come to pass.

As much as it pains me to say it, I'm hoping Collingwood beat Sydney next week...If only St. Kilda had pulled it off Saturday night or your guys held on at Anzac Day. Oh well. Collingwood will be a royal pain in everyone's sides for years to come yet. Have to cut them to size sometime.

On the bright side, at least you're not in the mess Port Adelaide is in right now.
  8. Westlo
    2012-08-05 07:42
    Westlo
    Was gutted by that loss since the boys played their hearts out today, but I'll what happened today instead of the crap they put on show in the last 3 rounds against the Saints, Cats and Hawks. But man these soft tissue injuries... you can't contend with so many...and I feel for Winderlich.. he was becoming a gun before he did his knee against Carlton last year and than he finally gets back after so many complications, kicks 4 goals and looks to have done a major tear.. ffs. The worst part about this slide is it does nothing for our draft position since our first round was always going to be Daniher... not that we could've picked anyone up better than him anyway...

Anyway kudos to the Crows, what a turnaround from last year... for Sando to win in his first year would be much more impressive than what Scott did last year, considering how both teams stood.. Can't see the Crows not finishing top 2.. but that could mean a first final against Collingwood in week 1.. and as much as I hate them (saints were robbed last night of a draw) they travel very well.

Who would you rather play week 1? Hawks or Pies? If the Swans beat the Pies next week it's pretty much a lock that you and them will be Top 2.
  9. Last Sinner
    2012-08-05 06:43
    Last Sinner
    Bad luck today. If Essendon weren't so plagued with injuries, you'd definitely have beaten Adelaide. We definitely didn't deserve to win today. But lately, we seem to have made a habit of winning games we're nowhere near out best in. Good luck in the finals if you qualify.
  10. Last Sinner
    2012-05-09 07:54
    Last Sinner
    So who do you figure the Heat will verse in the NBA Finals? I can't see how they won't get through the East unless injury strikes. Chicago was the one true threat and Rose falling has pretty much left them screwed.

Your AFL team in Essendon look good this year, but injury has hit them as badly as West Coast. At least this season is a more open race rather than a certain 2-3 you know the premiers will come from.