AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > totoum

Notices

Conversation Between totoum and Ledgem
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 14
  1. totoum
    2012-04-07 17:03
    totoum
    I'm watching it but after one episode I have no idea where they're going to go with this premise,it definatly doesn't have your standard zombies though.So I'm not really sure what to think,I enjoyed the first episode but I'm not sure that means I'm going to enjoy the rest.
    The only thing I can guarantee is that it is nicely animated.
    So I wasn't blown away but it was better than I expected going in,if you're looking for a rom-com with cute girls and a hint of fanservice check it out.
  2. Ledgem
    2012-04-07 13:36
    Ledgem
    Thanks for mentioning it; that is indeed a nice song. I hadn't heard of this series before, either. I see that it just recently started airing. The premise seems interesting enough, although I never got into the whole zombie craze that seems to be gripping western culture at the moment... are you watching it? Do you recommend it?
  3. totoum
    2012-04-06 22:10
    totoum
    Hey there!
    I was reminded of you when I heard the ED to the anime sankarea,it's done by the singer of Another's ED which I remember you liking so I thought you might like it as well
  4. Ledgem
    2012-03-19 14:56
    Ledgem
    That was about a year ago, so at this point I think I'm all good with typical anime shows again. I have been meaning to check out Usagi Drop, though... thanks for the recommendations.
  5. totoum
    2012-03-19 13:43
    totoum
    Well Mashidora was a good choice considering it was the first show to air on the main NHK channel in years and it targeted a general audience.
    Think you might wanr to check shows like Ikoku Meiro no Croisée and Usagi Drop or Cross Game if you want something more down to earth.
  6. Ledgem
    2012-03-19 09:40
    Ledgem
    The series that I ended up returning to anime with was Moshidora. It didn't have any eccentric characters that I can remember, and it was pretty well-grounded in reality. It connected well with me at the time. From there I went on to Aria, a series that I had watched about halfway through years ago but never ended up finishing. Aria is presented in such a manner that it has just enough anime eccentricities packaged to make the transition to other series easier, yet it wasn't off-putting to someone no longer used to them.

Maybe when Guilty Crown ends I'll give Steins;Gate a second try.
  7. totoum
    2012-03-19 01:39
    totoum
    Well you're definatly right in that Steins:Gate is not the first anime I'd recomend to someone coming back to anime,especially since it has fun with character archetypes that have become popular the past few years that I'd feel you would need to see other recent animes first in order to really appreciate it (though I have no particular title in mind)
  8. Ledgem
    2012-03-18 20:08
    Ledgem
    Anime (and science fiction, fantasy in general) is fiction, and we all know it. Sometimes they make everything up; other times they have a bit of reality as a base and then build up a lot of fantasy on it. I know this, and appreciate it. And before Steins;Gate, I never had a problem with it.

But Steins;Gate just pushed the science domain too much. It wasn't just the fantasy science, but their drawing on the scientific community. It reminded me too much of my reality. The problem with that is that, the way I was trained (and the way all of the scientists around me behaved), is that you accept nothing and are skeptical of all claims. You're not out to tear everyone down, but the way that we go about the process, it certainly seems that way. A lot of my peers hated giving oral presentations, because they felt like the question and answer session was akin to going before a firing squad One of the post-docs I worked with warned me when I started that the skepticism ingrained into scientists from the training doesn't make them very popular, and it's certainly true! Already a few times my wife has gotten flustered with me as she recounted a news story or a presentation that she heard, and I would retort with questions and skeptical remarks. I have to remind myself to keep it to myself.

Given all of that, here we had this character who's behaving like a jerk (IMO) and who is making all of these grandiose claims. The more grandiose the claim in science, the more people look to disprove you (unless it's too grandiose and clearly whacky, in which case you get ignored). With all of my scientific senses triggered, it was just too much to bear.

And I also recall thinking to myself, "every single one of these characters should be on psychiatric medications" Almost all anime characters have weird, quirky behaviors, but it had been so long since I'd watched something that the mannerisms exhibited in Steins;Gate were difficult for me to watch. I had to slowly get back into anime with a series that had more normal-behaving characters.
  9. totoum
    2012-03-18 19:46
    totoum
    Oh ok,then I'd understand why you'd have that view of him.
    I do feel the show is aware that some real scientists might have issues with this and lampshades it from time to time, for exemple in this scene (no spoilers inside) where Kuriu says at the end "I really do feel like you're mocking me".
    But I get where you're coming from,as a former science student that did a term paper on the LHC I basicly had to throw aside all my knowledge to follow the show.
  10. Ledgem
    2012-03-18 19:16
    Ledgem
    Not at all, I welcome the comment

I didn't watch the series beyond episode 1. What you're saying wouldn't be surprising, since a lot of anime series seem to deal with characters who have various insecurities. It was just unrelenting - I would have thought that they'd reveal it in some form or another that he was putting on a facade, but since they didn't, it just seemed to me as if that was the character. I'll reconsider the show once I've finished some of the others that I'm currently watching.