AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > totoum

Notices

Conversation Between totoum and Reckoner
Showing Visitor Messages 11 to 20 of 34
  1. Reckoner
    2012-10-26 12:05
    Reckoner
    That's from one of the Hunter x Hunter threads, lots of silly drama going on there.
  2. totoum
    2012-10-26 04:40
    totoum
    From what thread is that 2nd one?
  3. Reckoner
    2012-10-25 16:08
    Reckoner
    Don't you see how popular I am ?
  4. totoum
    2012-09-21 16:13
    totoum
    Oh no not you too
    People keep mentioning the two together and while superficially I can see why,at the core they're very different,they just happen to involve a group of highschoolers (like a whole lot of animes).
    I don't find Kokoro connect to be that interesting,the concept is but the show itself doesn't do much with it,give the same concept to Satoshi Kon (RIP) and there we'd have gotten something interesting.
  5. Reckoner
    2012-09-21 15:03
    Reckoner
    Ah that's perfect. Thanks .

It's not specifically a Hosoda article. Generally it's comparing two different models of emotional appeal and I m using Kokoro Connect and Tari Tari as examples. I personally feel that Tari Tari's more down to earth and simple approach is able to appeal much easier and in a better way for impact because of its approach. Kokoro Connect seems to a falter a little bit at this because it tries to be a little complex and kind of misses the mark on the emotional climaxes. It's more interesting because of its complexity though, just not as well done or easy to connect with.

The Hosoda quote was just to draw in some expertise from the industry to give credibility to my argument and use his works as an example of what I am talking about .
  6. totoum
    2012-09-21 14:51
    totoum
    The very original source is an interview given to a french journalist and someone translated it to english

I edited the translation slightly differently so feel free to use whichever you prefer.

Is it an article on Hosoda or something more general?
  7. Reckoner
    2012-09-21 14:18
    Reckoner
    Hey Totoum, do you think you could point out for me the source for that Hosoda interview? I would like to use it in the blog article I'm writing, that quote, but I need to cite and all .
  8. Reckoner
    2012-08-14 02:54
    Reckoner
    That is quite interesting!

I suppose I understood his intentions better than I realize haha. I do think that making things more complex can inhibit emotional involvement. Hmm I might write a blog article on this. That quote would do fine work .
  9. totoum
    2012-08-14 00:41
    totoum
    Just dropping because after reading what you wrote about Hosoda I figured you'd be interested in this quote from one of his interviews

Quote:
    To talk about Howl’s Moving Castle, my experience at Ghibli was really interesting. I was hired because at that time, the producer wanted to train new directors. Unfortunately, I didn’t get along with the staff on an artistic & logistic level, but still, I’ve learned many things during my short time there. When I worked at Toei, I had this kind of teen state of mind: I wanted to direct complicated dark and classy works. I thought that to deliver a message I had to make tortured works. But in fact, while working on Howl’s…, I realized being simple and clear was a more satisfying way to deliver a message. Even if it's fancier, complexity can’t reach the audience with as much impact. Simplicity is the way to go to deliver a message. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time & Summer Wars are the results of this observation, so I don’t regret my time at Ghibli.
  10. Reckoner
    2012-07-26 17:38
    Reckoner
    Heh a tough follow up act indeed.

While I didn't think Shinkai measured up though to his previous jobs, I still thought it was a step in an interesting direction for him. A lot of directors become complacent and churn out the same type of material over and over again, so him trying to expand in a new direction is honestly welcomed. His experiment with Kodomo provided a lot of good ground for him to go off of I feel. Lets just see how those next projects turn out .