AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > totoum

Conversation Between totoum and Triple_R
Showing Visitor Messages 31 to 40 of 136
  1. Triple_R
    2013-06-11 11:24
    Triple_R
    Is the Steins;Gate movie just a recap-style movie, or will it have actual new content?
  2. Triple_R
    2013-05-30 10:51
    Triple_R
    Manga is also doing a bit better than anime where I live.

I think that this is the reason why - I think that more and more people realize that comic books like Marvel and DC comics are now more aimed at adults than at kids/teens. So by extension, adults reading manga (i.e. Japanese-made comic books, in a sense) is similarly not a big deal.

But the "cartoons are for kids" idea still carries some weight, unfortunately. Because most North American-made cartoons are either for kids, or are adult comedies. Something like, say, Psycho-Pass or Fate/Zero is still very alien to most western audiences.

Tokyo ESP looks very promising. I'll probably check it out.
    I watched an episode of Yuyushiki a couple days ago, and I thought it was pretty good. I'll probably try more episodes of it soon. I like the tomboy character in it - the one you have an avatar for.
  3. totoum
    2013-05-30 09:27
    totoum
    Poor you!And to be fair I nearly wrote US forgetting you're canadian

What's the manga situation like over in North America?
    The interesting thing in France is that while anime has trouble surging,manga is doing much better,I know plenty of people who don't watch anime but read mangas and you can find them pretty easily in general shops (and not just the big 3,plenty of others as well),I've seen japanese tourists be surprised at how much mangas they could find in Paris.
    The gap between anime and manga has always interested me (and it seems to echo the situation in japan as well).

On a completely unrelated subject,I know I'm always recommending stuff but bear with me, there's a couple titles I'd like to mention.
    First up Tokyo ESP has been announced and I suggest you check it out when it starts airing because the manga ka is a comic fan and the influence is noticable.
    As for the other,have you checked out Yuyushiki (it's where my avatar is from) , I know it sounds pretty typical and it is I guess, but I would be very interested in your take in its Yuri aspect, it's a pretty big aspect of the show and I feel it does it a bit differently from other shows with Yuri undertones
  4. Triple_R
    2013-05-29 16:38
    Triple_R
    It's funny, I was originally going to write "Honestly, the biggest thing hurting anime in North America right now...", but then it occurred to me that our European members (like yourself) would come on and say "There's more to the world than just North America, you know. "

So I changed it to "the west" to be more inclusive. And now I'm getting slammed for it anyway, lol.

You see, totoum, I just can't win with you.

But in any event, I get what you're saying. Still, One Piece isn't going to last forever.
  5. totoum
    2013-05-29 16:18
    totoum
    Sorry if this sounds like some french patriotic pride but

Quote:
    Honestly, the biggest thing hurting anime in the west right now is that Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece are all really, really old (if not finished), and there just hasn't been much rising to take their place.
    North America isn't the whole west
    One Piece is popular in France, the manga is a bestseller and the anime airs weekdays on national TV (and not latenight but at the time of the day people actually watch)
    Not that anime hasn't its issues in France , but its history and how mainstream it's been over the ages is very different from north america. (and Spain and Italy have their own history as well)
    I know this is an english speaking website but it still hurts to feel ignored when the "west" is mentioned
  6. totoum
    2013-04-24 19:12
    totoum
    Though I have to say,despite understanding Harushi fans,my personal preference is still for anime original,but that's just because I just will always have a bias towards originals,nothing to do with Kyoani.
  7. Triple_R
    2013-04-24 11:00
    Triple_R
    Thanks a lot for sticking up for us Haruhi fans.
  8. Triple_R
    2013-04-13 04:53
    Triple_R
    My avatar isn't that complicated, but sure, I'll explain...

Every so often I like to take the head of a moe anime girl I like and put it on the body of a masculine guy I'm a fan of. At some level, I just find it amusing. The last time I did this was during J-SaiMoe 2011 with the Madoka World Order (I put Madoka, Sayaka, and Mami's heads on a famous nWo photo of Hulk Hogan, Hall, and Nash ).

Love Live!'s Honoka strikes me as having great leadership abilities, that would translate well into being a team captain in hockey. So I made her the team captain of my favorite hockey team, the Montreal Canadiens!

This is also a way for me to express two fandom loves at once - with the Madoka World Order, it was anime (Madoka) and pro wrestling (the old, famous nWo). With my current avatar, it was anime (Love Live!) and pro hockey (the Montreal Canadiens).

Finally, I don't make the avatars themselves, just come up with the concepts of them. Usually somebody else does the avatar for me after I suggest it to him or her.
  9. totoum
    2013-04-12 04:47
    totoum
    1)I really need to know the story behind that avatar!

2)Please use this thread , would be a shame if mods deleted it.
  10. Triple_R
    2013-04-06 14:33
    Triple_R
    That is interesting. Thanks for sharing!