AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Triple_R

Notices

Conversation Between Triple_R and Ledgem
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 82
  1. Ledgem
    2014-08-24 06:28
    Ledgem
    It's been a while, Triple_R. Someone brought me back to AnimeSuki and while I don't intend to visit regularly, I did want to leave you a message. Your recommended The Pilot's Love Song to me a few months ago. Based on the series synopsis and genre classifications at MyAnimeList, I decided to watch it with my wife. We finished it recently.

The series certainly wasn't what I expected, but we enjoyed it. I went in expecting a series that focused more on romance and was presented in a slice-of-life fashion, but felt that it was more of a war drama. In that regard it was pretty impressive. Many anime series (and works of fiction in general) glorify conflict, but this series seemed to reflect the realities of it a bit more. There was little elation about shooting down an enemy plane, or winning a battle; instead, there was an emphasis on those who died and were injured. The series wasn't out to kill off everyone, but it also made it clear that nobody was safe from death or injury (even in large numbers); as a result, I felt trepidation over the safety of the main group of characters that had to sortie for a conflict. That's probably a more true-to-life emotion to feel over such an event. Despite watching plenty of fictional works involving warfare, I can't think of any other series or movie that caused me to feel such a thing (or at least, to feel it so strongly and with such regularity over each conflict).

Definitely a good series, thanks for the recommendation.

I probably won't log in to check visitor messages for another few months (or longer), but as usual, PMs give me an email alert and bring me back. I think I gave you my email address, too, so feel free to drop me a message whenever you like. I hope all is going well with you these days!
  2. Triple_R
    2014-05-17 20:05
    Triple_R
    I'm very glad you liked the Madoka trilogy. Rebellion was an amazing piece of artistic entertainment, especially at a simple audio-visual level.

This is something I would enjoy chatting with you over e-mail or chat. Unfortunately, I don't think I have your e-mail address any more. Would you mind PMing me it?
  3. Ledgem
    2014-05-17 18:53
    Ledgem
    I recently discovered that all three Madoka movies were released, and downloaded them. It was hard making time for two-hour runs, and I admit that I had to split the first movie into multiple viewing segments, but I finished the trilogy today.

I'm floored. It was so beautiful.
  4. Ledgem
    2014-05-16 13:59
    Ledgem
    I thought it was interesting. It's clear that there are some secrets that some of the characters are clued into that we're not, though. For example, Yuzuki's and Hiteo's LRIGs once remarked that Tama represented something about Ruko, and seemed somewhat apprehensive about it as they remarked that even Tama didn't realize what a LRIG signified about its holder.

Iona being happy about finding Ruko, to me, just meant that she was somehow thrilled to have found the person that will become the Eternal Girl. My guess is that Iona may have been one of the first Selectors, and she's probably one of the strongest. She's clearly impressed by Ruko and Tama's battle capabilities, and perhaps the pair has something that Iona and Uris lack. Tama and Ruko are fairly well-aligned, whereas Iona and Uris seemed to me like a diagonal cross with Akira and Piruluk (Iona and Piruluk had very similar demeanors, whereas Akira and Uris seemed very similar). Who knows? Perhaps there's some burden associated with becoming the Eternal Girl, and Iona is happy that her wish (supposedly the same as Ruko's) will be fulfilled without her having to shoulder the burden.

I tend to get hung up on small inconsistencies, though, and this episode had a big one. Akira's appearance at the end was not consistent with what has been said about losing. One supposedly loses all of their memories about WIXOSS and being a Selector (which is what we saw with Hitoe), yet Akira was still talking about selectors and remembered Yuzuki and Ruko. Maybe there will be some convenient excuse for it in the next episode. Given Akira's glowing red "scar," I expect that we'll find out why "infected" is one of the words in the series title.

Regarding your post in the thread, it's an interesting idea. I haven't been thinking about the series in that manner, and I don't really know that battling is supposed to be symbolic for romance... but it might fit pretty well.
  5. Triple_R
    2014-05-15 23:59
    Triple_R
    Actually, I did get one funny idea out of Episode 7. What do you think?
  6. Triple_R
    2014-05-15 22:48
    Triple_R
    And... I just watched Episode 7 of WIXOSS.

Now that was certainly interesting and intense. I find it confusing at a surface level, but I do get the impression that the narrative is going somewhere intriguing at a thematic level.

What did you think of it?
  7. Triple_R
    2014-05-15 20:32
    Triple_R
    Not yet, but I will later tonight. I'll probably be watching it in a hour to two hours.

I've been pretty caught up with the pro hockey world last 24 hours - my team (the Montreal Canadiens) knocked off the hated rival Boston Bruins in the 2nd round. So I've spent a lot of time chatting/celebrating with other Habs fans, talking about the victory and the next round. I've dropped in and made the odd post here and there here on AS, but not much - My mind has been pretty hockey focused today. But I do intend to get back to you on anime more tonight/tomorrow.
  8. Ledgem
    2014-05-15 19:51
    Ledgem
    Seen episode 7 of WIXOSS yet?
  9. Ledgem
    2014-05-14 18:45
    Ledgem
    Interestingly, The Pilot's Love Song was already on my "to watch" list, according to MyAnimeList. I don't remember how I came across it, but the fact that you're recommending it means that I'll up its priority.

I'm glad you're following so many of the series that I am! I've been wanting to talk about some of them.

Captain Earth is a show that I started watching because people were raving about its "production value." It's a Bones series, and even though it seems that people think Bones has gone downhill, I still associate them with Eureka Seven, which I really liked. That said, the synopsis alone wouldn't have drawn me in, and I feel a bit underwhelmed at the moment. I like the settings and the artwork, and I felt that the first episode was absolutely epic, but I'm a bit confused about what's going on. Maybe I missed some key details, but it seems to me that there are two arms of the same corporation that are fighting with each other, and there's a third corporation that is working toward destroying the planet (to put it in overly simplistic terms). I keep watching because I figure that the punchline hasn't been delivered yet, but this is probably the first anime series that I've seen where the enemy was so convoluted... it just seems like, what's the point?

Mahouka might be my favorite series of the season. I love the artwork and the characters. People seem to have a problem with Miyuki's affections toward Tatsuya, but I figure that there's something to it, like they're not really brother and sister. That, or perhaps WIXOSS just desensitized me. I like that Tatsuya is cool and composed, and that he has amazing abilities despite being inept at the abilities everyone else displays. I feel that the current arc of going after Blanche is slightly boring, as I'd really like to see the series open up to a larger world-wide scale. Perhaps this is just a segment to get us there.

Brynhildr takes something out of me each time I watch it. People say that the people (or some key person) behind Elfenlied are also behind Brynhildr, and I could believe it. There are a number of similarities. The situation that the characters are in feels fairly hopeless: they always seem overpowered; they're working against a clock (the requirement for daily pills); and their opponents have much more knowledge and resources than they do. In that manner, it generates a feeling opposite of what I get from Mahouka. I only have faith that most of the characters will survive because there are 13 episodes and we're not at 13 yet. I foresee tragic things happening to most, if not all, of the characters by the end. But who knows? Perhaps the introduction of this new mad scientist ally will turn things around.

You didn't ask for it (and I won't discuss anything specific, since you're backlogged on it), but I also wanted to mention that Sidonia has been pretty amazing. I watched the trailer and figured that it might be a fairly droll series, but picked it up based on the synopsis. The CG animation is disappointing in some parts (the walk cycles in particular seem really choppy), but otherwise really contributes to the atmosphere of the series. I just hope that they can accomplish what they want in the limited number of episodes that they have.

Even though I don't get notifications for visitor messages, I'll log in again tomorrow to read your thoughts on the series. If you want to discuss any specifics about the series I'd be happy to do so, too!
  10. Triple_R
    2014-05-14 11:26
    Triple_R
    I strongly recommend The Pilot's Love Song (Toaru Hikūshi e no Koiuta) to you then. It has a pretty interesting fantasy world setting, imo. And it also has a refreshingly straightforward romance by anime's standards (straightforward in the sense of no obvious love triangle competitions or harems).

Of the shows you're watching, I'm also following Mahouka, Captain Earth, and Brynhildr in the Darkness. I'm behind on Knights of Sidonia and Escha and Logy (when it comes to either extreme of gritty vs. cheerful, I find I need to be in the right mood to watch it). Good to see that we're both into the sci-fi anime fo the season.

I'd love to get your take on Captain Earth, Mahouka, and Brynhildr in the Darkness. I'm enjoying all three shows a fair bit, but for pretty different reasons.

As for our PM conversation, I'll try to get back to that later today or this evening sometime.