AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Triple_R

Conversation Between Triple_R and Ledgem
Showing Visitor Messages 11 to 20 of 68
  1. Triple_R
    2013-05-13 08:47
    Triple_R
    No problem on the Attack on Titan/Gargantia mix-up. And sorry for the late VM reply.

Yeah, it's certainly possible that we're just too old to appreciate a "Kid Power!" theme in a show.

I can definitely see how an actual teenager would find that theme powerful and appealing. But from an adult perspective, there's a touch of naivety or over-simplicity to it. For example, I find the presentation of the ARUS government to be almost caricature-esque. Don't get me wrong, corrupt politicians obviously do exist, but as amusing as "Senator Moses" may be, I doubt many actual US Senators are quite as cynical as he, lol (and its very obvious that ARUS is based on the US and NATO).

I also agree with you on character depth. The sense I get with Valvrave is that its purposefully holding back important character background details to make "shocking reveals!" later on. Hopefully the entertainment value of these "shocking reveals!" will be worth the wait, because I agree with you that it would be nice to learn more about these characters now.

But on the whole, Valvrave is at least an amusing watch. It has an audacious tone to it that makes it hard to turn away from, lol. Hopefully it's next episode will get into greater detail about at least some of the characters.
  2. Ledgem
    2013-05-10 13:06
    Ledgem
    Oops, sorry - it was Attack on Titan that you weren't currently following. Sorry for the mix-up!
  3. Triple_R
    2013-05-10 12:52
    Triple_R
    I might have more to write to you later but I just wanted to make it clear (since I thought I did before, but maybe I was misremembering things) that I am watching Gargantia. The three mecha shows of Spring 2013 are the Spring 2013 shows that interest me the most. I like how all three are very different from each other, and use their mecha elements in different ways.

I might have more to write to you later on, but I have to head to work now. TTYL and have a good day!
  4. Ledgem
    2013-05-10 12:35
    Ledgem
    I actually wrote most of the rant that I posted in the Valvrave thread to your wall, but then removed it because I was worried about bringing the series down for you! I guess we're similar types.

I really don't mean to get into show-bashing or dwelling negatively on a show because it can ruin the experience that the show has to offer. One bad episode shouldn't bring the rest of the show down. My mounting negativity has more to do with the direction that the show feels like it's taking. We're headed into "kid power" territory in a Lord of the Flies manner. Maybe we're just too old to appreciate that

Another disappointing factor of this episode was character development. More specifically, the lack of character development. I don't mean character growth, but having the audience learn more about the characters. I didn't feel like I gained a better feel for any of the characters. If anything, it was disappointing to see them acting like a bunch of dumb kids. (Once more, maybe we're just too old to appreciate this...) Saki's character also became a bit unreadable to me. She always seemed somewhat withdrawn, perhaps a bit moody and shy. It was clear that she harbored feelings for Haruto, but she seemed aware of what was going on between Haruto and Shoko. Her sudden aggressiveness at the end of episode 5 seemed very out of place. Point #4 of your post makes Saki's behavior in this episode a bit easier to handle, though. It certainly is curious that she bit one of the other students, so who knows what we'll find in her past regarding the Valvraves?

The show can redeem itself, but I don't know... I can't speculate about too many possibilities that I like the sound of at this point. Too much speculation just sets up expectations to be disappointed over, too. The show still has a lot of potential, I hope it gets there!

By the way, have you started Suisei no Gargantia? I have to admit that some of my displeasure with Valvrave may have to do with Gargantia. Gargantia is also a sci-fi series, although it's pretty clear early on that the show is more about people and interactions than the sci-fi aspects. I was really enjoying Valvrave, but I'm wondering if watching Gargantia made Valvrave's characters seem a bit dull by comparison, as Gargantia's cast is pretty incredible. It's been a really long time since I watched more than two shows at once, let alone two shows with overlapping genres; I'd forgotten that one show could outshine another. (I still have hope for Valvrave, though!)
  5. Triple_R
    2013-05-10 12:11
    Triple_R
    Yes, I've already seen it. I see that you have as well. Here's what I wrote on it.

It's funny, I actually went a bit easy on this episode since I know you're a fan of Valvrave... but judging from your posts on Episode 5, you probably liked it less than I did, lol.

Yeah, Valvrave is fun, but I have to agree with you that it feels like it's not living up to its potential. 5 Episodes in, and I still haven't seen one truly memorable mecha fight - We've had some fun curbstumps but nothing all that suspenseful or interesting.

And yeah, Saki can't sing that well. Sunrise really should have just used the Love Live! girls to sing a song, lol.
  6. Ledgem
    2013-05-10 11:21
    Ledgem
    Episode 5 of Valvrave?
  7. Ledgem
    2013-05-06 16:29
    Ledgem
    Started on Gargantia - not sure that I'll be able to keep up with three shows, but it's been a while since I watched so many current shows at once - it feels kind of nice. Either way, I can see why people are predicting that it might be "the best series of the season." This is one I'd definitely watch with my wife. Highly recommended, if you're not on it already.
  8. Ledgem
    2013-05-06 13:49
    Ledgem
    I'm not sure that I'll be able to keep up with the series as it airs, either, but I'll try to remember to put things in spoiler tags regardless when discussing events in the latest episodes.

I'm now current on Attack on Titan, which is a pretty interesting show. Pretty dark so far. I know you said that you're not watching it yet but are considering it; if you begin following it, let me know.

A friend remarked that Gargantia is (in his opinion) the best show of the season, so now I'm considering following that, too. Are you watching it? One thing I find interesting with both Gargantia and Valvrave is the character artwork. I don't recall seeing such vivid and bright colors used on characters' eyes before. Perhaps it's a new general style?
  9. Triple_R
    2013-05-06 12:15
    Triple_R
    The unpredictable direction-shifting is definitely one of the biggest appeals of Valvrave, imo. I was rather surprised that Haruto didn't make a contract with L-Elf, and while turning the school into a student-ran independent nation-state strikes me as a bit trite after some other shows (particularly Guilty Crown), it was still a surprising turn of events plot-wise.

And yeah, I do think that Haruto is getting more criticism than he deserves. This is what I just wrote on him.

Feel free to share episode reviews with me on my VM wall after every episode if you like! My only request is that you put them in spoiler space since my work schedule often means I don't get around to Valvrave's latest episode until a day or two after it airs.
  10. Ledgem
    2013-05-05 07:44
    Ledgem
    Heh, I fired the question off to you and then found the Valvrave discussion thread and saw you active in there. Sorry for not checking first Not sure how active I'll be there, though - I feel like series discussions with the entire forum result in over-analysis and unintentional spoilers through the overanalysis. I prefer discussions with small groups of friends, so I might just post to your wall after each episode instead.

I'm now caught up (episode 4), and I must admit that the show's direction continually surprises me. I really thought we were headed toward a pretty straight-forward mecha plotline, with some surreal fantasy thrown in to keep it from being a Gundam Seed clone. Yet after the first episode the mecha aspect seemingly took a back seat to character relationships and, with episode 4, politics. The political slant reminds me of Starship Operators, although I felt that Starship Operators lost a lot of its appeal around that point. The characters in Valvrave are more colorful than those in Starship Operators, though, and there's a lot more versatility here. I suspect they'll keep up with their direction-shifting over the next few episodes.

It also looks like the fanbase response to Haruto may be similar to Guilty Crown's Shuu. I like him, though.