AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Triple_R

Notices

Conversation Between Triple_R and Ledgem
Showing Visitor Messages 11 to 20 of 82
  1. Ledgem
    2014-05-14 09:53
    Ledgem
    I like WIXOSS quite a bit. It was the first of the currently-airing series that I picked up and I admit that I didn't have high expectations of it, but it might be my favorite of what I'm following. The darker aspects of the series seemingly came out of nowhere, and I'm still intrigued by what the secret behind WIXOSS is. The characters are enjoyable enough to watch. There's an interesting commentary to be made about people in general from it. It's not the case with Hitomi, but with Aki and Yuzuki it seems as if they are losing what little they actually have of their wish even as they struggle in WIXOSS to attain it. People lose things when they become obsessive.

The other series I'm watching are Black Bullet, Knights of Sidonia, Mahouka, Captain Earth, One Week Friends, Escha and Logy, Brynhildr in the Darkness, and Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii. I could drop a few of those and not mind... are you following any of them?

I like the fantasy genre quite a bit. I have a harder time stating whether or not I like romance. I like a good love story, but so many "romance" anime series are either harem-based romantic comedies or "dating route"-adapted series. I can still appreciate them, but when they're the primary focus of the series then I find myself getting bored. An example of that is Outbreak Company, if you've seen it. It had fantasy elements and brought up some interesting ethical and philosophical issues, but it also had "dating route"-style elements. I liked it all in the beginning, but it began to feel as if the series was focusing on the "dating route" aspects more than the fantasy storyline. I felt let down by the end of it.

Speaking of weather, we didn't really have a spring here. Just last week it was still getting pretty cold, but yesterday the temperature went over 90˚F. We're already experiencing evening thunderstorms, which is more typical of summer. I guess we just dove from winter to summer.
  2. Triple_R
    2014-05-13 19:56
    Triple_R
    Yes, I have been following selector infected WIXOSS. I definitely see the Madoka comparisons. I myself think WIXOSS' writer (Mari Okada) is trying to channel Gen Urobuchi while putting her own distinctive spin on it (WIXOSS has a bit more melodrama than PMMM, imo). I think WIXOSS is a pretty good show, and I'm finding it very engaging. How about yourself?

There was a show I was thinking about recommending to you, but before I do so I'd like to know your take on two specific genres - Romance and Fantasy.

As for me personally, I'm doing pretty good. It's been a long, harsh Winter in Atlantic Canada, but it's finally over. Mother's Day had what will probably be our last snowfall until next Winter. My moods have always been affected by the sun, so having long sunny days definitely perks me up some.
  3. Ledgem
    2014-05-13 19:46
    Ledgem
    I told you that you could always message and/or email me to bring me back And I certainly wouldn't mind it if you did - I've been wondering how you've been. I've also been wondering if you've been watching any of the current shows. I actually started watching nine actively-airing series - I don't think I've followed that many active series since high school. Specifically, I was wondering if you were watching selector infected WIXOSS, which some have been hailing as "the next Madoka." I wouldn't go so far as to label it that, as it isn't quite as profound (yet, anyway), but that made me wonder if you were following along, too.

PM or email whenever you have the time, I'd love to hear how you're doing!
  4. Triple_R
    2014-05-13 19:19
    Triple_R
    Well, if there's one silver lining to this security breach, it's that it seems to have got you back on Anime Suki.
  5. Triple_R
    2013-06-29 21:02
    Triple_R
    Oh, that's 8/10 for Episode 12 alone. For the season as a whole, I'm not sure. It would probably be somewhere between 7 and 8/10 for me.

Like yourself, I'm not sure about some of the bold heavy drama decisions they made. It certainly made the show more impacting and noticeable, but it does take a bit of a toll. The show loses a certain amount of "fun factor", I think. Still, on the whole, Valvrave was a very good mecha show and I think I prefer it to most other mecha shows I've watched recently.
  6. Ledgem
    2013-06-29 20:54
    Ledgem
    8/10? I originally marked it as such as well, but then I thought about those three or four episodes somewhere in the middle (starting with episode 5)... and gave it a 7/10 instead. The premise and story have so much potential, and I felt that those episodes truly squandered it. The series can do something unique, and those episodes instead focused on drama that could have taken place in almost any other series. The second season seems set to focus on what can make the series unique. Given the events that have happened, I don't think that they'll easily be able to pull off any light-hearted time-wasting episodes as they did in the first season.

High expectations. In a way I'm glad that there's a delay between now and when the second season airs, because I probably won't be able to download episodes until the end of September anyhow - getting shipped off to a different hospital where I'm unsure of the internet availability in the accommodations provided. Can't run torrents off of my phone
  7. Triple_R
    2013-06-29 20:35
    Triple_R
    I agree that it was a very fun and exciting ending. I'm definitely looking forward to Season 2.

Here is what I wrote about it.
  8. Ledgem
    2013-06-29 18:13
    Ledgem
    Wow, what an ending to season 1 of Valvrave. Season 2 looks like it is going to be amazing.
  9. Ledgem
    2013-05-24 08:46
    Ledgem
    Episode 7 of Valvrave was good. I see you rated it a 9/10 as well. Spoiler tags for anyone who might be randomly reading your wall:

Spoiler for episode 7:

Either way, the series has transitioned back to what I was expecting after the first episode. I'm glad. The only disappointment is the airing schedule. Supposedly the second half (or more) or the series won't air until October. So we'll work up to something really interesting, it seems, and then we'll have to wait for a few months.
  10. Ledgem
    2013-05-21 13:00
    Ledgem
    I like your analysis of Rukino Saki, written in her thread on the Valvrave forum.